Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

PUT THE LADIES IN A SPOILER TAG NUB

Fix’d. Sorry. I thought it was common knowledge.

Everybody already knows. Next, you’re gonna say that Edward being a vampire is a spoiler.

Edward’s a vampire?

So, this past weekend I finished reading Thirteen Reasons Why. It was interesting and engaging, and it was a pretty quick read. However, I think Hannah came off differently (to me) than she was intended to.

Spoilers and whatnot:

Wow. That was a long rant for a book that I actually did like. And I did feel bad for Hannah, I just think that she is just as bad as most of the other people at her school. The people I feel the worst for are Hannah’s parents and Jessica.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

Re: Deathnote. There were two places where I very nearly stopped reading. The first was when

The second was the same place you just mentioned, for pretty well the same reasons you gave. (and, FWIW, I didn’t know that one going in a few years ago, so it’s still a spoiler to some people… but it is true that it’s been out forever)

But I stuck with it, and… yeah. The ending is completely, totally, utterly worth it, in my opinion. I will only say that, as much as I love everyone else, Matsuda is my second-favorite character. After Ryuk, obviously. Heh.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011

I read quite a bit of Death Note, can’t remember exactly where I left off, but it was starting to get a little… Strange.

Only watched the anime and read the last few pages of the manga to see what was different. Really, some of DN’s more ridiculous moments are only complimented with vague Latinesque chanting and and inexplicably high-quality animation.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011

Read maybe thirty pages of the Tale of Genji, then dropped it for Spindle’s End.

At this rate, I’ll be done with the Tale of Genji in about a year. Maybe more. >_>

Re: Swenson’s Spoiler:

L is obviously my favorite (how cliche, I know), but Ryuk is awesome, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

Finished reading The Sword in the Stone a few days ago. Not bad, but most of the plot felt too episodic for my tastes. I probably could have skipped several chapters without missing anything. Also, why is Robin Hood in a novel about King Arthur?

Also, read Side Jobs, the collection of Dresden Files short stories/novellas. I didn’t realize how much I missed the snarky guy.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

I just read this amazing novel about teen suicide, By the time you read this I’ll be dead
    It was just really moving. And well-written.
    And I’m nearly half-way through The Discworld series! Yay. Except I kind of have to read them out of order, which kind of sucks.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Except I kind of have to read them out of order, which kind of sucks.

While there might technically be a ‘best order’ for the Discworld books, there’s only a handful that actually require being read in a certain order. So stop worrying about it, and enjoy the laughs.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I don’t think I read any of them in order. I still haven’t read Wyrd Sisters, despite having read every other witch book (as well as the witch books being my favorites).

Ha! Wyrd Sisters is next on my to-read list. I’m trying to go through Terry Pratchett in written order, as that Discworld Reading Order guide just makes things more organised, but also more complicated than they need to be.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011

Where can I get that? Is it a book?

If you ever want to find it again, just Google.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Oh, wowee. That looks extremely complicated. I may have to print it out, and study it at length.
    Thanking ye kindly, of course.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

O_O

Oh my, I never realized I’ve read all of the watch novels. Let’s see… I still need to read The Truth, Going Postal, Thief of Time, Reaper Man, and Wyrd Sisters.

(I haven’t read the Rincewind novels; I’m just not interested in them.)

Finished Death Note over the weekend and I have to say the end was TOTALLY worth it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Deathnote:

Re: Discworld: that’s an older reading guide, it’s missing a couple of newer books. This one’s been updated more recently, although it’s still missing Snuff (which goes on the end of the Watch novels) and I Shall Wear Midnight (which goes on the end of the Witches novels; it’s the latest Tiffany Aching book).

Re: Death Note:

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

And that’s a much more discworldy layout, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Death Note:

Death Note:

Anybody want to enlighten me a little on what Discworld is? How long are they?

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Discworld is the amazing series created by Terry Pratchett. There are thirty something books, and they are approximately the size of your average novel. I recommend reading them because TP is an amazing writer- he’s original, and very funny, and created this outstanding alternate universe.
    It’s very English humor, though. Wonderful stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

They’re fantasy, by the way, and do a great deal of gentle poking-of-fun at (or at least references to) every other fantasy novel ever written. Or every other novel ever written in general. One book parodies the Beau Geste/French Foreign Legion books, another parodies Phantom of the Opera, and so on. They’re pretty well the funniest things you’ll ever read, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Is that Monsterous Regiment that you’re talking about?
    And I love the opera one- Is the title Mask something?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

created by Terry Pratchett

Ahem. Sir Pratchett. War Wizard, read Discworld. It doesn’t particularly matter what order, just read one. It will blow your mind.

I also like the Bromeliad Trilogy (Truckers, Diggers, Wings). It is absolutely incredible and hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

The Phantom of the Opera one is Maskerade (pretty obviously :P), but the French Foreign Legion/Beau Geste one is when Death joins the Klatchian Foreign Legion in Soul Music.

I’m actually kind of afraid to read anything else at the moment because I don’t want my head to get filled with other people’s ideas…

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011 edited

I loved the parody of classic fantasy boy vs girl power balances in the Bromeliad Trilogy. And the whole scifi element.
    I can’t wait to read Soul Music.
    D’oh! hits self I apologize most profusely, Sir Terry Pratchett.
    WWR, I see your point. That’s a tricky one.

For my next essay for AP Lit, I have to compare an aspect of two books. Currently, I’m considering two prison novels: One Day in the Live of Ivan Denisovitch and Kiss of the Spiderwoman. Has anyone read those books and can tell me whether they’re worth reading? Thanks!

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

I’ve read both. Ivan is wonderful, albeit sad. Kiss is… weird. Not my cup of tea, but you may enjoy it.

Is it the style specifically that’s weird, or what?

• CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

Well, it’s a guy telling his story by reminiscing about various (obscure) films. So the premise is weird, and the story…eh. I think it’s a little weak.

Has anyone heard of the Iron Elves Saga?

• CommentAuthorMnemone

ONE DAY IN THE LIFE OF IVAN DENISOVICH is an alright book, but at least in translation it's not great prose or story -- it's significance is mainly historical/political. If you are really interested in Russian history and the former Soviet Union and the oppression therein, read it.
    • CommentAuthorNo One

Mnemone, you should make an intro thread.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

So I was listening to NPR the other day and Anthony Horowitz was on talking about this new book he’s written, called The House of Silk. It’s about Sherlock Holmes. Now I want to read it. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Now I do, too.

Needful Things by Stephen King.
    • CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011 edited

After staring at the tv all night, eyes completely glazed over, I eventually picked up something to read to try to help me sleep. I’ve been up for 21 hours now dammit. This is the third time this week. Why can’t I sleep anymore?!

Okay, so… Brother/Sister by Sean Olin is quite good. So it looks like I’ll be up for a couple more hours finishing it. D:< I should have left it for the next day! Dammit!

Although the book drags on in most places, it grabs you near the end of each chapter so you have to turn the page. And once you turn the page, you’re still left waiting for something. I was just about to give up on this, but then a kid got his head bashed in with a golf club. So, now I have to finish it. I hope the ending blows my mind. IT BETTER.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

Somehow, I need to get my hands on a copy of this book. If only because reading a published novel with a main character named Tookie de la Créme is both hilarious and awful at the same time.

Tookie de la Créme

:O

D:

XP

Blindness is actually fairly interesting, even if I don’t find the government’s actions to be all that believable so far. I also do not approve of the way Saramago writes.

Keep me posted on how it goes, NP. I’m considering reading it for AP Lit, but if it’s a crappy book I’d rather not waste my time.

I'm reading Tom Kratman's Watch on the Rhine for the sixth time.

Keep me posted on how it goes, NP. I’m considering reading it for AP Lit, but if it’s a crappy book I’d rather not waste my time.

Will do. I hope to have it finished by Tuesday. The things that bother me most about it is that I don’t find how the situation is handled to be believable (unless the author left out crucial information about the type of awful government this is). I also don’t buy how some of the blind people think/act either. The style is becoming less obtrusive as I read, however.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011

Got a bunch of books at the Scholastic Book fair; I read Anya’s Ghost (which was really really good) already and now I’m on An Accidental Adventure: We Are Not Eaten by Yaks. Which is extremely strange.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I miss the Scholastic book fairs! Although the last time I went (as a sub) I think their funding was down or something, because the selection was much worse.

Not being eaten by yaks is always a good thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

It may just be that my tastes in books are becoming more selective, but it does seem as if there’s less anymore.

Not being eaten by yaks is a Very Good Thing.

I'm not sure if this is quite the right place to put this but hey-ho... http://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-i-became-a-best-selling-author-.html

Has anyone read the book that made this author famous? "The Mill River Recluse". I haven't, just thought I'd throw it out there for you guys. I wonder if it's any good since it's self-published.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011

Has anyone read the book that made this author famous? “The Mill River Recluse”.

I haven’t read it, either. But judging by the Amazon reviews, it looks like people either love it, or thought it was so boring they would rather have mongooses gnawing their faces.

I wish her all the best, but honestly I doubt I will read it. It just doesn’t sound very interesting. Somebody here should check it out and write a review!

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011

It just doesn’t sound very interesting.

This. She might be a very talented author, but I have a low threshold for boring. That said, there are plenty of classic books written by acclaimed authors (don’t kill me, but The Good Earth springs to mind) which have bored my socks off. But “boring” is often times more a matter of taste on the part of the reader, not necessarily the author.

Then again, there are a lot of things other people consider boring that I find interesting…

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011

Yeah, I’m right there with you. Some of the stuff I read, people look at it and then say something along the lines of, “Wow, if I were you, I’d shoot myself before I read that.” Then I admit I’m reading it for fun. I’m starting to see why I have so few friends IRL. ;)

Finished up Monster by Frank E. Peretti. Not bad, but not sure I have much more to say on it.

Mostly finished it up because a friend got it for me for Christmas last year and I hadn’t gotten around to it yet. I’ve also had the latest Temeraire for awhile now (in paperback) but just… I know when I read it, I’ll have to wait forever before reading the next. So I’m like… so reluctant to start. (anyone else gone through that? know the feeling?)

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011 edited

Reading Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence. Again. Not that I love it that much, but it gets so awful as it progresses that I always have to put it down long before I’m finished with it. I just want to read the whole thing because I don’t like leaving books unfinished. And yet, it starts off so well. It just starts getting a little annoying near the end as it starts to focus on three very irritating, selfish people that I really don’t care for. What a letdown.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011 edited

Good luck, Sen. I can’t stand Lawrence myself, so I feel your pain.

Which made me feel bad when my English 105 professor handed out B&N editions at the end of the class and I had to come up and say, I already have this. The only one I didn’t own, after she’d handed them out was Sons and Lovers. I probably should have said anything, but I wasn’t actually thinking of exchange, just that she could keep it (surely because I’m a bibliophile, it’s just as hard for anyone else to give up their books).

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011

I can’t stand Lawrence myself

Are you serious? Are the rest of his books just like this one? I’d appreciate a heads-up so that I don’t bother in future. I haven’t read any of his other stuff. Sigh. You have to admit though Sons and Lovers started off quite well. It’s okay if you disagree, but I like descriptive writing when it’s well done and I liked the imagery towards the beginning. And then he goes and ruins everything with suddenly making Paul a total selfish moron and the two girls he’s interested in absolute idiots. And so empty. The both of them. How does he have affection for two people entirely devoid of personality?

Annoyed

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

Finished up Monster by Frank E. Peretti. Not bad, but not sure I have much more to say on it.

I haven’t read that one, yet. Would you say it was good, or only “not bad”? I tend to like Peretti’s work, but there are a couple that I was lukewarm on and didn’t think were worth the read.

You know those books that are so heavy that you don’t want to do anything else after reading them, because hell, what’s the point?

Heart of Darkness is one of those books. I really like it, but it does not put me in any mind to be productive.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

In a couple more days, I'll be on Christmas holidays and I will finally read 1984, which I'm borrowing. If Amazon comes through on time, I'll probably have a couple more. However, those are a little more ambitious so I'll mention them later if I actually start reading them.

Finished Heart of Darkness. This definitely merits a rereading.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2011

I think you deserve some kind of award for that :). Unless you enjoyed slogging through that book, then in that case, I am both scared and confused. I think I could enjoy a book like that if I was allowed to read a little at a time, but I had to speed-read because I had a lot of prescribed reading to do for my other courses as well. And speed-reading through Heart of Darkness is not good for your health.

By the way, did you know that English wasn’t the author’s first language? He only learned it in his twenties and it’s like from then on, in all his works he wanted to show how many pretty words he’d learned. It’s quite horrifying.

You know those books that are so heavy that you don’t want to do anything else after reading them, because hell, what’s the point?

Heart of Darkness is one of those books.

You mean heavy in content, right? I’m certain you did because it’s a novella. If you meant it was heavy in content, I can agree with that.

Oh, I liked the book. I just didn’t understand it.

Yeah, I’m aware of the language thing. Makes me wonder whether his repetitious use of certain words is SIGNIFICANT or just a sign of poor vocabulary. (I doubt it’s the later but for some reason it’s funny to think about.)

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2011

@Sen: I like descriptions well enough. I just don’t like any of his characters (this could be me though, I have fairly idiosyncratic tastes and a horror of convincing anyone to rely on my judgement.

Oh, Heart of Darkness. See, I just didn’t like it all that much. I read it earlier this year, and while not a book to skim, I also just wasn’t moved by it. This might have been one of those occasions that would have benefited (me) to read in a classroom or book group, or just having read more about it before actually starting on my own.

On the other hand, At Home: A Short History of Private Life is completely brilliant and interesting. So much so that I kept driving everyone around me nuts while reading because I was compelled to read it allowed. Also, I own five other Bill Bryson books and he’s been my favorite, contemporary, nonfiction author for a few years, only this is the first book of his I’ve read. You may have heard of A Short History of Nearly Everything, if that helps.

This might have been one of those occasions that would have benefited (me) to read in a classroom or book group, or just having read more about it before actually starting on my own.

I think that may have helped me like it more too. I technically read it for school in eleventh grade, but it was independent reading that we had to do from the list of AP books. We had to read four of them. I liked my other three ( Lord of the Flies, The Catcher in the Rye, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest). I wasn’t moved by it either. I was expecting to be disturbed or bothered by it, but I wasn’t. Lord of the Flies and Cuckoo’s Nest disturbed me a bit, and Catcher was just fun.

So I'm about to give up on Stephen King's _Insomnia_ because so far it seems like he's using it as a mouthpiece to spout his views that Pro-life people (which I happen to be) are TEH EVULZ.

Does it get any better or is just more of the same?
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

Have things started to get weird yet?

bq. Have things started to get weird yet?

Yes.

@ The Armourer, I'll that as a yes then.

On topic, Timothy Zahn is amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

^^I remember reading some series of his…YA, I think, where this kid met the last of some symbiotic type species of dragon. It would hang out on his back like a tattoo, but since he was basically an orphan, it could take care of him. It was actually pretty interesting, though I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Timothy Zahn is totally amazing. I’ve got a friend who likes to remind me “I TOUCHED TIMOTHY ZAHN” on occasion—he got to meet him at Comic Con a couple of years ago.

Although, to be fair, I’ve actually only read the Thrawn Trilogy. But it’s goooood.

@Thea: That was the DragonBack series, six books, really good.

The Green and the Grey is another good one. Also, read Allegiance and Choice of One, two more Star Wars books, and the Hand of Thrawn duology(two books~whatever). Basically, anything he wrote is gold.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Although, to be fair, I’ve actually only read the Thrawn Trilogy. But it’s goooood.

The Thrawn Trilogy- the pinnacle of the Star War Extended Universe and surprisingly also the first of the new Star Wars books in the 90’s (Ignoring such works as Splinter’s Eye). However, I’d give Stackpole and Allston’s X-wing series a close second. I absolutely adore that trilogy.

I would really encourage you to find his Conqueroro’s Trilogy. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I love the big shift from book 1 to book 2. Night Train to Rigel/ Frank Compton series is considerably different then a lot of the sci fi I’ve read, but I do like it as well.

I just read the Conqueror’s Trilogy, yes it is good. The Quadrail series is definitely interesting.

Did you know that Zahn named Coruscant?

I’ve been meaning to read the Thrawn Trilogy. All I know is that the fans put it up on the “Honourary Episodes VII, VIII, and IX” pedestal.

Just finished Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

Though the viewpoint character, Ethan, still talks like a girl, and it’s like a few typical gender roles just got flipped around rather than subverted, there is some subtle Twilight bashing, a few specialness traits that I assumed were in the first book just because actually got explained, and I’m still kind of hooked. This is the sort of guilty pleasure I can get behind. Specially since it’s full of atmosphere.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

What does it mean to talk like a girl? How would a young gentleman speak?

I should really say, he behaves like a girl. He notices girls’ clothing (and knows what the local formal dress shop is called and the type of stuff it stocks), he hangs out with his aunts on Sundays, he’s really b*tchy about the two most popular girls in school in the way that you’d expect a jealous or outcast heroine to do (he talks like Janis Ian does about the Plastics).

I mean, I’m grateful for the information because I actually am interested in clothing descriptions, but it’s not generally in character for a guy (and isn’t commented on by him) and thus does more harm than good. Plus, I wish he’d just get over the tainted descriptions of the popular girls. He used to be popular, but cares more about the narky popular slutty girls who now hate him than his old jock friends’ opinions (who aren’t mentioned at all in the second book).

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but at least Ethan still stares at girls. One glaring thing, though—he seriously thinks his girlfriend’s the hottest girl in school. And apparently she is pretty good looking—but her sister is a Siren and therefore by definition hotter. Kind of smacks of a guy written by two women.

And guys don’t do that, do they? I knew a guy who was head over heels for his dark-complexioned Mexican girlfriend and had been twitterpated since forever. She was very pretty—but he still told me he thought the hottest thing in the world was bleached blonde. (Though I hasten to add, he also said he’d still rather have his girlfriend.) So yeah. That’s the only conversation I’ve had with a guy about this kind of thing, but I’m willing to bet this state of things is the norm.

Yes, Steph that is correct.

Hell I didn't notice my Mom had dyed her hair until she pointed it out to me.

Yes, Steph that is correct.

Which part? The hot thing or the clothing thing?

The clothing thing.

I read some more of Blindness (even though the class that assigned it is over, I still want to finish it). I think I have been desensitized to reading about violence (at least the fictional kind) because when I got to the scene that is supposed to be so awful and that one girl in the class said made her cry, I was like, “Is that it? That can’t be the scene. It must come later.” But I’m pretty sure now that that was the scene and that I’m just dead inside.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

Finished The Spy Who Came in from the Cold last night. While I’m sure it’s more realistic than most spy fiction, the fact that it takes until about a fifth of the way through for the plot to get going was a bit annoying, and the ending (while not unexpected) was just depressing.

Anyway, I’m now onto Kim Newman’s Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D’Ubervilles. Fun stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Just started the Reformed Vampire Support Group, which has a good concept but it’s so far impossible to tell how it will pull it off.

Yeah, so I’m reading four books right now. >_>

Apep, I agree with you. I read The Spy Who Came In From The Cold for class, and had about the same reaction. Just… whyyyyyyyy?

the Reformed Vampire Support Group

I loved that book. Catherine Jinks is the shiz. Except for that lame ending to the Genius trilogy. I wanted to throw The Genius Wars across the room when I’d finished.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@MDC – I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan (or, rather, the most obsessive Star Wars fan; although I love Star Wars, I really haven’t gotten into the EU much) but yes, I’d agree with that assessment of the Thrawn Trilogy. I started reading them for Luke/Mara Jade; I ended reading them for Leia/Han and Thrawn himself. They’re very good.

Mara Jade is awesome. :D

I haven’t read that one, yet. Would you say it was good, or only “not bad”? I tend to like Peretti’s work, but there are a couple that I was lukewarm on and didn’t think were worth the read.

WulfRitter – sorry for the delay.

Let me see if I can put it this way without spoiling things.

1) I did think he has shown one of the most realistic depictions of religious folks I’ve seen in an artwork in recent memory. Kudos for that.
    2) There is a whole “mad-science” run amok deal, and I’m always a sucker for that.
    2b) However, they STILL have to do the preaching in the book about the mad science which can get tiresome. Especially when the science is over such a present-day, controversial, heated topic
    2c) Which gets into my issues with the mad-science genre. A lot of times, it’s just taken for granted that it’s all wrong (in one way or another) without the characters actually trying to examine what’s wrong with it. Is knowledge always a good for its own sake or is there a price that is too high? I wish sometimes writers would go on less about what the science says (which will change tomorrow) and more about what should be done with it (for ethics are eternal).
    3) One of the main characters is supposed to have a character arc, but I think the book fell flat on that account, mostly because it TOLD us more about her flaws (that she then overcomes at the end) rather than SHOWING us. It kind of comes off like Bella’s clumsiness. It’s there, but not enough.
    4) I do think the book could make a pretty good movie.

I’d say… if I was waiting on a flight, and there wasn’t much in the airport bookstore, pick up the book and finish it off in a day or two. But I don’t think it’s quite good enough to actively seek out.

I finished Blindess. It was okay. I got used to the style, but it was still annoying at times.

The end drags a bit, but the middle is fairly exciting. It is quite graphic, but like I said before, I must be desensitized because I wasn’t really bothered by it. There are a lot descriptions of how certain bodily functions are dealt with when one cannot see to clean up and whatnot, which I found to be mostly unnecessary and just plain gross. The actions of the main characters were usually believable, but those of the background characters and government were not so much, at least not all the time.

It’s a pretty slow read, mostly because of the formatting (there was at least one five-page paragraph). Yeah. I probably wouldn’t read it again, but I’m not really sorry that I did or anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011 edited

five-page paragraph

How does anyone, author or editor, think this is a good idea? All it is is an invitation to skim, because nobody wants to try to read every word of such a huge block of text. The longest one I’ve ever seen is two (maybe three? not sure) pages and I know for a fact I didn’t pay attention to the individual words in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011

5 page paragraph??? That doesn’t even make sense to me. How is there not even one possible break in ideas or sub-topic?
    Just finished 1984 for the first time. Pretty good book, although rather depressing. I do enjoy the implicit attack on revivalism- if there is no ultimate reality beyond the senses, then by controlling your senses, we reshape reality itself.

Apparently Gabriel Garcia Marquez dispensed with some kind of spacing (was it chapters or paragraphs, I don’t remember) at some point. I love me some Marquez but I’m not going to venture near that stuff. Spacing is important.

Reading Infinite Jest. Yes, it’s weird and quite inconvenient using 2 bookmarks at once, thank you.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you need 2 bookmarks at once?