Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Why do these characters tend to be fan favorites, even over the professed protagonist? It’s a question that’s bugged me for a while.

Also, this thread is for any discussion of supporting characters, common issues/pitfalls, things you think are cool, etc. etc.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

Because often the supporting characters are given more freedom to be flawed, methinks.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

I think in many books, the Hero (or Protagonist, if you prefer) is often a more generic character, especially in his or her thoughts and beliefs and convictions, and less quirky. That allows the reader to project themselves onto the Protagonist easier. The author feels no compulsion to make any of the supporting casts generic, and so they’re usually much more popular than the Protagonist.

I also suspect that a part of it is because the reader doesn’t know nearly as much about the supporting characters as they do the protagonist, which allows the reader to imagine all those unexplained details and make the person out to be as badass or awesome as they want.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

The second part of what Rorschach said is basically exactly what I was going to say. There’s a real beauty in not-knowing that allows a reader to think about everything the author didn’t. Main characters rarely have blank bits, so it’s just not as awesome. Also, not knowing a characters thoughts and motives is just plain exciting, especially when morality is particularly dubious. It’s much harder and not nearly as safe to do this with your main character because for the most part you are in their heads and know exactly what’s going on there, which is not nearly as fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I feel guilty derailing this thread already, or I should, but…

On what Rorschach said about main characters being generic. Do you all consider this a good thing? When I write, I have a collection of crazy people in my head that just come to me, and the MC is no more or less boring, bland, or featureless than any of the others. He’s just the one that gets to tell the story.

So in my NaNo the MC is a drunken, washed-out professional Socrates whose greatest joy in life is getting in fights. He’s a colorful dude, and his thoughts are his own. Is this not a normal thing? Or should I be paying any attention to this discrepancy?

I mean, I guess you don’t know what religion Harry Potter believed in, but I know I disagreed with many of the actions he took and with his basis for them. I dunno. I’m curious.

Inkblot: How much for a copy?

I think it’s got more to do with side characters being open to interpretation without feeling like they’re open to interpretation. If they’ve got enough personality to feel like their own people but enough blank space that fans can unconsciously tweak the unspoken details, they feel like this character is written for them.

Anyway, what I find really interesting are stories where fans love the main character yet hate the rest of the cast(loldexter).

Anyway, what I find really interesting are stories where fans love the main character yet hate the rest of the cast

In my experience, those are a lot less common…House, maybe?

I think as long as your MCs aren’t too boring/whiny/whatever, they won’t get all that outshined by the SCs.

Going on the HP-example: can you guess my 6 favorite characters from that verse?
    In no particular order: Sirius, the twins, Harry, Ron, Hermione.
    Half of those happen to be the MCs, and so what?
    They’re well developed and complex people.

Also, remember that YMMV. One person may regard a certain MC to be awesomesauce, while another thinks Designated Protagonist Syndrome.
    A very polarising example of this would be Lost: fans generally agreed that Sawyer was cool, Kate was a Sue and an artificial Love Triangle Making Thing… and Jack? He fell somewhere between “kinda okay guy” and “can’t stand that whiny loser”.

...Or maybe they didn’t generally agree.
    See what I mean?

I think in many books, the Hero (or Protagonist, if you prefer) is often a more generic character, especially in his or her thoughts and beliefs and convictions, and less quirky. That allows the reader to project themselves onto the Protagonist easier. The author feels no compulsion to make any of the supporting casts generic, and so they’re usually much more popular than the Protagonist.

This is why I find it so frustrating to read a lot of books—I don’t want to overestimate myself or anything, but I think I suffer from the problem of being too quirky to identify with the MC because he/she is so generic. At least, this applies when the rest of the cast is quirky. Feels a bit dumbed-down, too.

However, I also think that in writing your MCs, you do lose a certain amount of quirkiness, because once you show their reasoning process and the things going on in their lives—in other words, just insight into who they are, you’ve taken away most of the mystery. It’s like if you wrote Twilight from Emmett’s point of view. Or Alice’s. Or Aro’s. Or Leah’s. They would lose something in the telling (insert Stephenie Meyer joke here). Not necessarily a lot, but still something. That’s why I like multiple POVs. It means you can step outside the other characters whose points of view you’re writing from, and then see the cool stuff they do, whilst still knowing where they’re coming from.

Edit: It’s like reading about Tonks changing her face to amuse Ginny and whoever else in Order of the Phoenix. Funny to watch, but it wouldn’t be so awesome if it was told from her pov.

in other words, just insight into who they are, you’ve taken away most of the mystery.

According to cracked, this is the exact same reason why Hollywood should stop making prequels. Take Star Wars, for a very good/bad example: it was really fun for previous generations to picture Darth Vader as a good guy with a bit of darkness in him, a Jedi who always tried to do the right thing until Palpatine corrupted him and lured him to the Cookie Sith Side… but was it fun to see Anikin whining about how he hates sand and how he’s in love with Padme because he’s sick and masochistic whoops sorry wrong classic romance ?
    NO.

That’s why I like multiple POVs. It means you can step outside the other characters whose points of view you’re writing from, and then see the cool stuff they do, whilst still knowing where they’re coming from.

Same here.

It’s like reading about Tonks changing her face to amuse Ginny and whoever else in Order of the Phoenix. Funny to watch, but it wouldn’t be so awesome if it was told from her pov.

I know what you mean, but I think this example is closer to “tiny background detail” than “supporting characters”.

I know what you mean,

That was the point. Ignore all other logic.

That’s why I like multiple POVs. It means you can step outside the other characters whose points of view you’re writing from, and then see the cool stuff they do, whilst still knowing where they’re coming from.

Me too. However, I don’t think that this approach works for every book.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

With multiple POVs, an author has to be pretty good at bringing across various and completely different personalities through the first person POV. It’s easier to explore specific qualities or quirks of the supporting characters from one POV only. But switching back and forth would require you to delve deeper than mere observations and in doing so, more thought has to be put into their actions. Silly things which we might appreciate reading about just for that one laugh are less easy to insert when you’re in the head of the supporting character and things have to be explained more rationally. Usually we would accept that he/she did this or that because he/she felt like it, but once inside his or her head we will want a more clearer line of thought and it takes some excellent skills for a writer to immerse themselves into a completely different frame of thought from the other characters. Multiple POVs can fail for this reason. Everyone may think and sound exactly the same…

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited

My phone is getting on my nerves

Is there a thread specific to building characters and people, or should I ask on this one?

POV means Point Of View, right?

Everyone may think and sound exactly the same…

Yes, this is absolutely true. Apparently, Rick Riordan’s new series has multiple PoVs, but it’s not working as well as in the first series because Percy’s voice was so distinctive, and none of the other voices had that.

Is there a thread specific to building characters and people, or should I ask on this one?

We have multiple threads scattered all over the place on characters. But yes, PoV=Point of View.

With multiple POVs, an author has to be pretty good at bringing across various and completely different personalities through the first person POV.

If you’re using first person POV.

Silly things which we might appreciate reading about just for that one laugh are less easy to insert when you’re in the head of the supporting character and things have to be explained more rationally. Usually we would accept that he/she did this or that because he/she felt like it, but once inside his or her head we will want a more clearer line of thought and it takes some excellent skills for a writer to immerse themselves into a completely different frame of thought from the other characters. Multiple POVs can fail for this reason. Everyone may think and sound exactly the same…

Yeah, some people just don’t have self-awareness, and if you’re trying to use first person POV on them, it will fail, because you have to be at least semi-self-aware to actually narrate!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

I’d just like to go off topic and say that I think George R. R. Martin does an excellent job of handling literally dozens of different PoVs at once. Every character is unique and has their own interesting personalities. They’re constantly fighting and struggling against each other but Martin never brands anyone as “the good/bad guy” because they all have their own illegitimate goals and agendas.

Back on topic, one thing that really annoys me is when the protagonist is so flat and one dimensional that the writer will throw in supporting characters at random to make the main character look more impressive. A good supporting character should have the potential to be the protagonist of the story themselves.

(While they are called “supporting characters” I believe that the protagonist shouldn’t rely on supporting characters to make him who he is.)

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011

Well, we all know that Martin is an incredible writer with flawless characterization. That’s exactly what I love about aSoIaF- there is no black and white, no classic fantasy protagonists. Except maybe Ned Stark, but he SPOILER

flawless characterization

wrong

books still great though

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Well, flawless as in most of them are flawed.

darkstar

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011 edited

Stop spamming, sansa. throttles him

Remembers promise to Steph.
    I mean, um ,yeah.

Whatever promise that was, I appreciate you remembering. That means a lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

sansa’s new monosyllabic, bitter persona saddens me immensely. It’s just not the same anymore.

sad

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

It was the promise to be nice to sansa. And Inky, I know, it’s so very heart-breaking. passes embroidered handkerchief.

darkstar still suks

darkstar still suks

Sansa has a point.

...I have no Idea what you’re talking about…

...I have no Idea what you’re talking about…

talkn bout darkstar

he suks

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

While I’m not going to argue that Darkstar does not, in fact, suck, but didn’t he only appear for one chapter? Yeah, he’s a major dick in said chapter, I’m going to reserve judgement until proper evidence of his suck-ness is provided.

I mean, it’s not like he’s Cersei or anything…

nope, he was in two at least

so badass he ant murccder at little girl

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

True, true.

Okay, here’s a question. Who’s worse, Darkstar, of Joffrey?

darkstar

sansa’s new monosyllabic, bitter persona saddens me immensely. It’s just not the same anymore.

Sigh. I know, right?

I had a dream last night that I went to this weird tunnel place, like a subway but with jet skis instead, and one of my friends got hurt and sansa turned up and took us to the hospital. Oh yeah, and sansa was Australian.

Ah, what could’ve been.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

darkstar

The answer to basically everything.

Oh yeah, and sansa was Australian.

no

The answer to basically everything.

not what doesnt suck

so darkstar is a character in…a book/series by George R. R. Martin…?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

He can still use bold big text! There is hope yet!

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yes, who is darkstar?

Inky- the real test is italics.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Let’s try and stay on topic, mmk?

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Ahem. Mkay.

I just figured when somebody had something relevant to add, they’d add it.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Metoo, but I didn’t want to risk Puppet’s wrath.

This is somewhat similar to what Rorshach said initially, but I think that supporting characters are interesting because they don’t have to adhere to the traditional hero’s path. It’s more of an inventive, anything-goes kind of arena, plot and development-wise.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I think the biggest teller if they’re a good character or not is whether they’d hold up in a ‘spinoff’ of their own, or whether they’re just fodder, of comic relief.

It’s more of an inventive, anything-goes kind of arena, plot and development-wise.

And the challenge is to use this instead of the hero’s journey.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

I can't say I like protagonists that are such blank slates. To me, it really smacks too much of projectionism (I may have just invented that term) and sacrifices too much insight for the sake of giving the reader a personal insert. It can be done well, but it's usually the project of author habitation - first person need not apply. Although, sometimes, there are characters that are naturally set as the "straight man". Doesn't seem to happen very often, however.

That's one reason I'm such a big fan of ensembles. Rather than painting your story all black with a red central character, or vice versa, you can apply several different colors and see how they mix/clash/whatever.

I had a dream last night that I went to this weird tunnel place

I often dream that.

or whether they’re just fodder, of comic relief.

I hate it when that happens.

That’s one reason I’m such a big fan of ensembles. Rather than painting your story all black with a red central character, or vice versa, you can apply several different colors and see how they mix/clash/whatever.

Interesting that you would say that, Rocky. See, that Red Letter Media guy said that one of the things that bothered him about SW:TPM was that there was no clear single main protagonist.
    But that might just be because no character was decently developed in that movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

Interesting that you would say that, Rocky. See, that Red Letter Media guy said that one of the things that bothered him about SW:TPM was that there was no clear single main protagonist.
    But that might just be because no character was decently developed in that movie.

I was thinking that meself.
    But yeah, the problem with that movie’s cast really was that none of the characters were identifiable. They just kept blinking by, getting relegated to different background spots. No one character had a completely filled arc, did you notice? You saw the beginnings of some people’s and the ends of others’. That was what really made it annoyingly noticeable, I think. It can be done, and done well coughsevensamuraicough

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

bq. No one character had a completely filled arc, did you notice?

The queen came the closest. You could probably argue the story was hers.

I was thinking that meself

Great minds.

You could probably argue the story was hers.

Not Obi-Wan?

• CommentAuthorRocky

Obi-Wan doesn't really _do_ anything, though. He's more or less in Qui-Gon's shadow up until his master's demise. He's not the one that discovers Anakin, he doesn't petition for Anakin's training (until the very end). I understand the nature of the master/apprentice relationship, and this iteration of the prequel Obi-Wan is my favorite, but he doesn't carry the story in terms of perspective or arc.

The queen, on the other hand, has a stronger part. Her planet is invaded by the antagonists and she wants to protect her people. She escapes the planet, endures the time spent on Tatooine, and arrives on Coruscant to petition the senate on both the invasion AND replacing the supreme chancellor. We see her reaction to the suffering of her people (it's slight, but it's there). Then she takes the fight back to her home in an effort to reclaim it. She leads the strike team into the palace, navigates the corridors, and eventually captures the viceroy.

That's all pretty central, if you ask me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Furthermore, Obi-Wan is hiding on the ship for all of Tatooine. The Red Letter Media had an interesting thought- what if Qui Gon was gone and Obi Wan filled the role of Qui and Obi? I know Lucas wanted to show that Kenobi was young and impetouous, but I wonder if that could have been handled in a story arc without Qui there. (That and find Anakin older- that would've solved a lot acting problems/ kiddy feel.)

But the role of Qui and Obi seem to overlap so much that between the two, they aren't left with much.

The problem with the queen being the protagonist is it never really is from her perspective as the issue of her queenship is hidden from the audience which is a bad thing to do with PoV character. (Oh all along that character was the queen? Why didn't that come up ever?)
    • CommentAuthorRocky

Yeah. The story leans pretty heavily on her plight, but it still doesn't have a central focus. I've wondered if somehow removing or altering Qui-Gon and just having Obi-Wan as master and Anakin as the padawan right from the start would've worked out well enough. The following two movies at least tried to devote so much attention to their relationship, it would've been good to have that start right off the bat in the first prequel.

Honestly, I think it would've been enough to have Obi-Wan portrayed as an impetuous master to Anakin's apprentice. Qui-Gon was somewhat reckless, though sufficiently wise. That way, you have the older Obi-Wan of the latter prequels dealing with, not only the fruits of Palpatine's manipulations, but also his own impetuous youth manifested through Anakin.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011 edited

I admit, those are very valid points.

But…

...then no Liam Neeson :( And he, frankly, was my only real motivation to sit through Phantom Menace.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

Picture no visible, hey?
    But, but, Phantom Menace had, had, um, the explosions, and stuff.

Image fixed.

And the explosions? Bad, the new Gaga video had better explosions.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

I need to work on my sarcasm.
    Ooh, Liam Neeson. Pretty…
    I still prefer C3P0, though. His accent is hilarious.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

If I were rewriting the prequels, Quo-Gon would definitely be in there somewhere. He was a clear benefit to the film. Level-headed, very wise, and slightly, quietly rebellious against the Order. Unless I'm mistaken, he was the first to discover the ability to manifest as a Force ghost (even though we never saw it).

_The Phantom Menace_ gets quite a lot of flak, much of it rightfully so. But of the prequels, I think it stands as a stronger whole. The CGI, to me, seems more wholly integrated into the overall film. I didn't really feel any jarring inconsistencies like it did in the following two films. It also has a less saturated palette, which I think lends to a more realistic visual acumen. It has Darth Maul, a character I felt was truly capable of dangerous deeds, yet one that wasn't undercooked or mishandled (coughGrievouscough). Really wish he'd lived up until the third prequel. The Gungans, for all their annoying traits, felt unique, especially in terms of their _phenomenal_ submarine city. And for excitement, I don't think anything else in the prequels really matched the pod race. Superb designs on the pods, the believably of the terrain, and the great sound design.

But since this is a thread of supporting characters, I'd like to submit one I thought was very well done along the fronts of character arc and acting: Palpatine.

Oh, god, Grievous. You obnoxious waste of CGI villainry!

Palpatine… he’s very convincingly innocous, as well as sinister. But… I thought it was a little too obvious he was the Emperor. Minute he came on screen- OMG THE EMPEROR! I think he was a tad overused in ROTS. Especially POWAH!!!!!!!!!! UNLIMITED POWAHHHHHHHHHH!

• CommentAuthorSen

but I think that supporting characters are interesting because they don’t have to adhere to the traditional hero’s path.

I’m reminded of Leah, for some reason. Maybe because she was the only one who didn’t want to go along with what Bella wanted.

This isn’t at all along the lines of SWQ’s point, but that was the first thing that came to my mind. Back on topic: I agree. The traditional hero kind of has this checklist to fulfil. The supporting characters aren’t held to similar standards as the protaganist. The hero can have his selfish or any other negative moments sometimes, but the writer is less likely to emphasize his faults than with the other characters.

More freedom can be taken with the darker side of human nature with them. Not that this doesn’t happen with the MC as well, but in cases where a certain writer wants the hero to shine out as good and pure, they might hold back on those moments in which we may see the MC being negative. Like displaying jealousy or anger. Sure we’ll have some instances, but not all that many in comparison to the other characters. I have a feeling I could have put this more succinctly…

• CommentAuthorRocky

@ WiseWillow: I can agree with you there. I think he hammed it up quite a bit in ROTS, though I wonder if that was by Lucas' design. It doesn't sit particularly well with me, though. In pretty much every other film he's in, Palpatine is a sedate, grinning, occasionally-cackling old man, cloaked and shadowed. You get the sense he's a puppetmaster, someone who's spent decades tying strings to individuals across the galaxy.

And then he turns into a hopping, shouting, lightsaber-wielding dark side warrior? Meh. His quiet, manipulative scene with Anakin at the opera was far more effective than his duel with Windu or Yoda. That's where Darth Maul, or even Dooku, would've been more appropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011

It also has a less saturated palette, which I think lends to a more realistic visual acumen

Can’t help but think of RLM’s review.

All they care about is
    SHOVING
    MORE
    SHIT
    into
    EVERY
    SINGLE
    FRAME
    of the movies!

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011

I cannot, to any degree, disagree with you there. You can see the start of that in TPM, but I don't believe they went overboard until _Attack of the Clones_. Not only did that become "Star Wars Episode Cartoon: Fleshy Thespian Cameos", but it really opened the door for some sloppy effects work. Everything became overly colorful and sterile. I remember actually squirming during _Attack of the Clones_ when Anakin, enroute to the droid foundry, was swinging his lightsaber at a Geonosian, and the two simply didn't mix. It looked like a weird dance. Moments during the final duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mustafar where their lightsabers struck a control console and _bounced off_. I know they're using physical props, but after that moment in _The Phantom Menace_ when Qui-Gon literally stuck his lightsaber into a door and started cutting a hole in it? Even today, that solidifies at least a visual validity of the weapon.

I’m reminded of Leah, for some reason. Maybe because she was the only one who didn’t want to go along with what Bella wanted.

Sen, dear – have you read das mervin’s sporks yet? If not, you should.
    That woman is a huge fan of Leah and she makes some incredibly valid points about damn near everything Twilight Saga-related.

The hero can have his selfish or any other negative moments sometimes, but the writer is less likely to emphasize his faults than with the other characters

Not necessarily. A lot of stories have the MC causing himself/herself, as well as other folks, some serious shit precisely because of their faults.
    Let me take a The Good Wife-episode I recently saw as an example. That series is really growing on me, so if you don’t like it of whatever, I’m sorry
    Also, spoolerses. You’ve been warned:

but in cases where a certain writer wants the hero to shine out as good and pure, they might hold back on those moments in which we may see the MC being negative

Good hero? Awesome.
    Pure hero? Thanks, but no thanks.
    Holding back negativeness? Not on my watch.

That’s where Darth Maul, or even Dooku, would’ve been more appropriate.

Maul was badass and Dooku was Dracula/Saruman/Wonka Sr.
    Nuff said. ;-)

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited

No, I have not read the sporks. But I do get the feeling that you’re referring to Leah’s defence of Bella after she finds out about the baby? Yeah, I wasn’t talking about that Leah: the disappointing mess that was left after Meyer totally butchered her character. I was talking about the Leah that was so great before she even heard about the baby. She just hated on Bella consistently and I loved that. Especially (and I know I’m repeating myself) since she was the first one to make Bella cry. On purpose. Because she was sick of Bella’s shit. :)
    That’s the Leah I was talking about.
    That is, until Meyer turned her into another Rosalie :(

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Does anyone else constantly blend Saruman and Count Dooku together now? When I’m watching Star Wars I keep going “SARUMANNN! COME OUT!” and when I’m watching LoTR I go “Where’s the lightsaber and the Trade Federation?”.

why the hell are you watching star wars prequels

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

why the hell are you watching star wars prequels

What? Prequels? I have no idea what you’re talking about, sansa.

of course there is no such thing but if there were such a thing i dont know why anybody would watch them regularly or indeed at all

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011

Star Wars is just like the Matrix. They always talked about these really awesome other movies they’d make (prequels for Star Wars, sequels to The Matrix), but for some odd reason, they never ever ever got made. Very sad. Because clearly they would’ve been awesome.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. of course there is no such thing but if there were such a thing i dont know why anybody would watch them regularly or indeed at all

Because some of us, *gasp*, actually enjoy them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I really wanted to like Revolutions, and the big centerpiece fight in Zion was pretty cool… but the overabundance of Idiot Balls being thrown around just made it unwatchable.

the disappointing mess that was left after Meyer totally butchered her character.

Here and there Smeyer did mess with her, but it never got serious. She left the series as a woman who was cool with being single (GASP!!!!), planned to go back to college and wanted to take yoga to help with her anger issues.
    In other words, she’s going to do something with her life. Sure, she got horribly hated on by all the “heroes”, but tell me: do their opinions really matter to you in that respect?

Leah was still awesome at the end, basically.

Where’s the lightsaber

It’s broken. :-P

fight scenes were awesome

Funny you should say that. I absolutely agree, but I think it’s important to remember that the Matrix’ fight scenes were heavily influenced by the first Blade movie – a sleeper hit that still doesn’t get the respect it deserves.

• CommentAuthorSen

Here and there Smeyer did mess with her, but it never got serious.

I’m well aware that I did exaggerate. Just a little. Only a smidge. :D
    It’s just that I was really liking her up until that one bit: “But I would do it Bella’s way. We’d both do it Bella’s way.”
    But Bella’s way is the path of idiocy! D:< Usually, you know. I mean this circumstance with the child was different, of course. Delicate. I just couldn’t believe those words were uttered by Leah. It was just…wrong.
    My respect for her lowered just a little, for at least a while, that’s all.

But yeah, she was still awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011

BLADE! :D :D

Along those lines, a movie with similar gun fights was Equilibrium, which was more conscious of its own utter stupidity and therefore more enjoyable, IMHO.

@Sen – I see what you mean.

Just a little. Only a smidge. :D

Of course. ;-)

@Inky – true, to a point, but Blade was, in the words of cracked, “a dark and gritty superhero movie before dark and gritty superhero movies were cool”. The sequel was my personal favorite out of the 3, cause it took the principle of the bigger fish and ran with it. And its fight scenes were more… colorful, thanks to a bigger cast.

The third one sucked hard. Pretty much killed the franchise.

Either way, I’d take the first two Blades over Equilibrium any day of the week. Personal opinion, of course.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I haven’t seen Blade, so I’m simply going to say that Equilibrium is awesome in its insanity. I started keeping track of things that didn’t make sense, but gave up very shortly into it and just enjoyed the ride.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Well obviously. But “Gun Kata” was so hilariously dumb that it offers some entertainment value still, where the Matrix’s original interest has by now been absorbed into the cultural dialect and one is left only with the tired, grating existentialism, nihilism, and fatalism that show ever more painfully through the worn finish on each viewing.

Plus Blade was like Highlander only less 80’s Cheese and with cool gunfights in place of stupid swordfights. And it showed the nation later to fall under Twilight’s spell what you’re really supposed to do with vampires.

Shoot them.

Shoot them again.

Repeat.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

By the way, I just need to pop back in here and say that I watched Blade last night, and it was absolutely awesome.

if that was your first time i am rather surprised you never saw it before

This is not the movie thread.

That’s one reason I’m such a big fan of ensembles. Rather than painting your story all black with a red central character, or vice versa, you can apply several different colors and see how they mix/clash/whatever.

Ooh, yes!

Well obviously. But “Gun Kata” was so hilariously dumb that it offers some entertainment value still, where the Matrix’s original interest has by now been absorbed into the cultural dialect and one is left only with the tired, grating existentialism, nihilism, and fatalism that show ever more painfully through the worn finish on each viewing.

I can honestly and sincerely say that I couldn’t have stated that nearly as good myself. Kudos, Inky.
    See, that’s the problem that Inception is already experiencing. It’s something different, so the masses who don’t get it – or, even worse, the pseudo-intellectuals who consider themselves experts in every single field ever (we all know at least one person like this IRL!) who did get it and felt the instant need to bask in their imagined superiority – freaked out about it big time, making it meme first, movie second.

A decade from now Inception will be the new Matrix: nothing but a punchline, a quick end to a conversation that, moments before, showed some actual depth for once. Shithead know-it-alls will accuse Blade Runner and Total Recall of being “just like Inception, like totally”, in much the same tone that dumbasses of today look at Blade and say “Matrix ripoff, like totally”.

and it was absolutely awesome.

Of course it was.
    It taught me a valuable aesop – I must never attempt to ice-skate uphill.
    I treasure it still.

This is not the movie thread.

On the one hand – Sorry. I know. We got off-topic.
    On the other – This is ImpishIdea. Seinfield and Tarantino are focused conversers compared to us.
    ;-)

Referencing the actual topic again: My best friend and I got into a non-aggressive argument the other day about one Captain Jack Sparrow.
    His point was that ole Jack was always the MC, and that Will et al were only there to “steer” him into having only one story, instead of a complex array of different adventures. The writers knew they had a winner the moment Johnny Depp started playing the guy, so they startd planning out more and more movies from day one.

My point was that ole Jack was a supporter, a foil to Will if you will, and that he ended up being the ensemble darkhorse. They had no idea that he was going to be so popular, so they sketched the story more around Will. The first sequel was a challenge because Jack, like Pinkie Pie, isn’t a character who should drive the story all by his onesies. He’d lose his way, what with that skewed compass. No, seriously – it’s like eating spice and salad dressing all by itself. It shouldn’t focus on him too much.
    This, I believe, is what screwed the first sequel up heavily.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011

Sounds promising, Klutor.

And tying it in even further to the conclusions already drawn here, Jack works so well as a character because the audience is never sure how much of what he says to believe or how much of it he believes himself. You never really can decide whether he’s planned it all out from day one or he’s just making it all up as he goes. Focusing too much on him would destroy that mystery about his character and remove a lot of the interest.

You’d find out, in other words, exactly what he was thinking, and that would make him boring. And that’s part of the problem with the sequels too – it seemed like he just kind of drifted into the first movie, and there was a lot of backstory to him that went unexplained. Delving too deeply into that was a mistake, as was devoting enough screentime that it became obvious he didn’t actually have a purpose – he just kept on drifting through all the movies.

Okay, third try to make this as clear as I can, because I find it interesting: