Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011

Well, we all hold the opinion that he ripped of a lot of other fantasy/scifi stories, even when he is just ‘referencing’ them. Even Elva, who I think had the potential to be a really good character, was too similar to some anime character. I don’t know which, I don’t read anime.

_ It’s like follow the leader, and I’m just seeing where they take me._

That’s a good description. I always think that people read differently. Some are completely involved, and see it through the authors eyes. Others are more detached, and analyze it as they read. For me, it’s always about the overall feel, not the details. The mood of the writing. The style. The awesome one-liners. I speed read, so I miss the tiny details. I also skip really long speeches and descriptions. I’m trying to stop it, though.
    ramble ramble

ok, here I must interject something that concerns me slightly with a bit of what I've seen in the forums. How can it be certain that these things are copied, or ripped off? I myself, have NEVER heard of someone like Elva. Ideas can occur simultaneously . Did you know that the first telephone patent caused tons of problems because multiple people came to similar conclusions at the same time, therefore claiming the same design? Some of what I saw gets into the idea of Archetypes (to some extent), people saying that an event in the series was too much like an event in another. Sometimes similar events happen. Sometimes the exact same event happens.
    This reminds me of when we learned about intertextuality in my English class last year. As we learned it, the word simply refers to the idea that things will remind us of other things because they are related, whether only in our mind or because one influenced the other. Lets look at the creation of a story. Where does it come from? The author's mind. What comes out of someone's mind? Whatever has gone into it in the past, although it can be blended by the mind of the author into something else. Were I to write a novel, I'll bet that you could find the influence of Inheritance, Star Wars, LOTR, and the Sword of Truth simply because of how prevalent they are in my mind. Forgive me, I'm rambling again..and I might not have made sense a little..my apologies.

I myself, have NEVER heard of someone like Elva. Ideas can occur simultaneously

Because the character in question is cribbed from Dune, and Paolini has not only admittedly read Dune, but makes explicit references to it within the story itself. These examples detailed in there aren’t vague concepts or Hero’s Journey stuff, it’s direct, specific things.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

Have you read The Last of the Mohicans? It’s a good book, but sometimes it feels like there are just too many words and the sentences are too long.

I have read it, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Although it is a highly subjective matter, I disagree with you that Cooper was excessively verbose. I would struggle find anywhere in Mohicans where Cooper wrote anything that was not either beautiful prose, or necessary for the story. For example:

Unlike other men engaged in the spirit-stirring business of war, they stole from their camp unostentatiously and unobserved, resembling a band of gliding spectres, more than warriors seeking the bubble reputation by deeds of desperate daring.

I read this as an example of beautiful, graceful prose from the early 1800s wherein no word is wasted and no metaphor misplaced. It could be argued that ‘bubble reputation’ could be reworded, but I like the metaphor it conveys and the poetic concision with which it does so. This is because every word is measured and considered, and every word is an important part of the whole. Paolini, on the other hand, throws fancy and archaic words around not to write good prose, but to show everyone how many cool words he can find in his thesaurus, never mind that he’s using them incorrectly or inappropriately, or that the prose feels awkwardly contrived and synthetic and therefore is not enjoyable or easy to read.

What do you think about Christopher Paolini’s creative side? Surely you can’t say that nothing he did seemed creative..or can you?

There is a difference between ‘creative’ and ‘good’ as indicators of worth, and Paolini tends to fall on the lower end of both measures. Large portions of his ‘creativity’ are simply re-hashings or outright theft of other people’s work, and the parts to which he does apply his own creative endeavours simply are not good or logical. To mis-quote Samuel Johnson, “[it] is both original and good; but the parts that are original aren’t good, and the parts that are good, aren’t original.”

Because the character in question is cribbed from Dune, and Paolini has not only admittedly read Dune, but makes explicit references to it within the story itself. These examples detailed in there aren’t vague concepts or Hero’s Journey stuff, it’s direct, specific things.

Exactly. We’re not operating on the level of vague resemblances and half-realised references, but of specific, traceable ideas, like the tollbridge scene (from The Ruby Knight by David Eddings) in Eragon, or the werecats (from Sabriel by Gath Nix), or the entire ‘language of magic’/truenames bit (from Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin), the Shining Palm (from The Belgariad by Eddings, but also from a particular Irish myth, the protagonist of which is one Nuada Airgetlam, aka Silver Hand)...

The list goes on, and it’s not even funny anymore.

I myself, have NEVER heard of someone like Elva. Ideas can occur simultaneously

Uh…

I don’t really read that much

Hardly a stable platform, is it? Just because you personally haven’t read the book it was plagiarised from, doesn’t mean it wasn’t plagiarised. Especially if you don’t read many books.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Aha, now I hate Fenimore Cooper. Last of the Mohicans, IMHO, was the only good book in the Deerslayer series. Mark Twain’s spork of his work (“On James Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Offenses, or something like that”) sums up my feelings quite neatly.

War Wizards Rule, I unfortunately do not know what a war wizard is. It just sounded cool. Also, I like you, and I would hate for you to be soured on the population at large of this site. Do be advised that this discussion may not continue to be entirely civil for much longer if continued in its present course.

I hate Fenimore Cooper too. I haven’t read Mohicans, but I had to read one of his books for a class. It was about the Revolutionary War, and I couldn’t get through.

And, Wizard, what Inkblot said. Twilight and Inheritance are like the religion and politics of II. Just try not to take anything personally.

I liked Eragon/Eldest at first, and I remember liking Brisingr, but I know I couldn’t remember what happened in the other two without reading the recap. On reexamination, the books are very purple, and the only reason I didn’t notice the rip-offs read because I wasn’t that familiar with what he was ripping off. I don’t think that he rips off other works exactly on purpose though. I just think he has trouble understanding the difference between a tribute and a rip-off. I could be wrong though.

ok, I'm sensing a storm on the horizon (but it's dark so I can't actually tell how far away it is)

sansafo187: I am not familiar with Dune, and I don't know what Hero's Journey is either. This is interesting information for sure, and I will have to look into it. I don't doubt what you're saying, I just don't know what it means for me.

TakuGifian: As far as LOTM is concerned, that was the first book I read that was written that way. It was difficult to get the hang of, and therefore it FELT to me as though it was too verbose. I do have to say that my opinion changed as I got through it and accustomed to it. In the case of Paolini, I would have to say that sometimes it did feel awkward. You did say it was subjective, I agree. I'm not deriding the novel (Mohicans) in any way, just saying how it seemed to me when I started reading it.
    Moving along. The direct specific things; is there a list on here? I'm immensely interested in seeing where what things came from.
    Now on to my own ethos. I doubt I have very much at all, and would agree that it is on an unstable platform. If there is evidence of the influence, such as Paolini having read Dune, then it is what it is. Please forgive my ignorance, I was merely suggesting that something existing in two places doesn't mean that one had influence on the other.

Inkblot: Thank you for your consideration. I have no desire to create enmity with anyone, what I desire is understanding. If, to my understanding, something is amiss or being unfairly attacked, I will try to fix or defend it. If my understanding is built upon flawed or fragmented information, then I am open to correction. By all means, please inform the uninformed. Thank you again for your concern.

NeuroticPlatypus: I understand what you mean about Twilight and Inheritance. I am not taking personally any of what is occurring, but I am trying not to offend or anger others.
    What do you all mean by purple?
    Your last paragraph, that sort of thing is what I would like to discuss. Is it on purpose? Accident? Maybe a little carelessness led to an unintentional rip off? Maybe he didn't even write it at all, but has some poor nerd/geek chained in his basement writing novels for him o.O Tribute or Rip off? What exactly is the difference, and where does the line blur?

Again, I have no desire to cause harsh feeling. I am simply seeking out knowledge and understanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

ok, I’m sensing a storm on the horizon (but it’s dark so I can’t actually tell how far away it is)

hee hee I like this line.

Don’t know DUNE?! Like, best SF novel ever penned. Look it up pronto, and steer a wide course around the movie adaptation.

There is a list on TvTropes – it’s connected to the Useful Notes page on Eragon somewhere.

I would say, merely out of my own tendency to be a cross-grained mule, that we dislike CP so much because he’s hugely successful, and we’re not, and we feel that we could write better than he can. It hurts, but that’s the truth for me. You are correct, then, that logically speaking existence in two places does not prove cause and effect. However, I think a lot of people tend to assume that he took certain good ideas from others, because the parts that are of his own invention are not as well…fleshed-out, say, as the parts which correlate with the work of a previous author. For instance, the plot of the first book in the series can be mapped out pretty much plot point for plot point with the plot of the first Star Wars movie. This is the first item on the TvTropes list, BTW. A lot of people feel that as a result this book had the strongest plot of the series, and when CP began to get into original storytelling with Eldest and Brisingr the narrative grew much weaker, more meandering, and less immediately memorable.

Of course. I know you have my admiration and respect for being so calm and clear, and I think several others feel the same way.

“Purple” prose is prose which uses too many unnecessary words – adjectives, adverbs, long archaic phrases – to describe something. The famous example of this is the sentence “Twas a dark and stormy night…” which unfortunately does not in fact end there, but goes on until it is impossible to say the whole thing in one breath. It is a hugely subjective judgment, though certain general opinions do exist. I myself prefer a bit more poetic description than some, but I understand how it could be hard to stomach.

I refer you to one of our little coined phrases – the “threeshold”. In which, if there are more than three similarities between two works/characters/plots/settings, the work has degenerated from loving homage to straight-up plagiarism.

Hope that helped.

I see, thank you Inkblot.

Gah! I can't figure out how to find that page : / URL?

Question: So the Star Wars issue is kind of like he copied its skeleton, then added flesh?

So threeshold is like if my story has a Yoda, a Spock, and a Neo? Or a Yoda, a Vader, and bad guy that's actually the protagonists father? Lastly where is the line for similarity?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Don’t know DUNE?! Like, best SF novel ever penned.

Blasphemy! Talk about a man who could worldbuild like a god but couldn’t write personable characters to save his life.

Lots of interesting discussion going on here. I can’t really contribute anything, I think. I’d just go on about how much of an idiot I think Paolini is. The way he was brought up and got published has definitely warped his mind. He doesn’t know how real people react to things probably because he doesn’t react to things like a normal person. He lacks personal experience. So do I but I think I can fake it better than he can. I’ll stop now.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

I’d like to take this moment to remind everyone that criticism should be kept to the works; not aimed at the author.

That said, I call it Brickingr because it is very dense in both the physical and prosaic senses. I have nothing against dense prose; in fact, I read encyclopedias and other reference books for fun (I actually just started reading a book on coal today that I acquired ages ago…). What I do have issue with is fluff. Especially purple fluff.

The Sword of Truth suffered much from purple fluff as well, now that I think about it. However, I am not as desperate for reading material now as I was when I read The Sword of Truth, and I haven’t been for a while, hence Brisingr just sitting on my shelf like a giant brick of dead tree for the past couple of years.

It does make an excellent spider-squisher when dropped from waist-height, though.

As for why I dislike Paolini, I don’t. From what I’ve seen of him in various forms, he really seems like a nice guy, and if I were to ever meet him (which is totally possible since I’ve got family up near where he lives), I’d likely befriend him. It’s the rabid fans of Inheritance I have issue with.

I see your point and I will try to refrain from insulting him a lot but the person that he is does affect the story he’s written so it’s somewhat relevant. I guess I don’t hate him because like you said he is a genuinely nice guy. But an idiot in some respects. I just wish he knew his books were bad (yeah yeah it’s a matter of opinion (no it’s not)) so that he could improve and become actually good. When you’re an adult you look back on the things you did as a kid and say “What was I thinking?”

I am not taking personally any of what is occurring, but I am trying not to offend or anger others.

I just wanted to make sure that you didn’t feel ganged up on. I respect you for your rational and level-headed arguments.

Maybe he didn’t even write it at all, but has some poor nerd/geek chained in his basement writing novels for him

That’s my personal theory. :P

What exactly is the difference, and where does the line blur?

We had a thread for that actually.

Or a Yoda, a Vader, and bad guy that’s actually the protagonists father? Lastly where is the line for similarity?

It’s this one, and Taku wrote an article about it.

As for examples from the Inheritance series, here’s a quote from the article:

With that in mind, it makes a lot of sense that coincidental similarities between fictional works are often counted in threes as well. Let us take, for example, everybody’s favourite fantasy series: The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini. Eragon is a farm boy in a remote region of the Empire (1), whose farm and home are burned down by agents of the Emperor (2), in search of a valuable object stolen by rebels (3). Any one of those things would be fine by themselves. Even two of those things might ‘fly under the radar’, so to speak. But the combination of three brings a specific reference to mind, and not in the sense of homage. Alternatively, another example from the same series: Paolini’s elves are tall and graceful (1), in population decline (2), and they worship the stars (3). In addition, they come from a distant land to the west (4), have control of a mysterious magical energy most people cannot comprehend (5), and have distinctly hostile relations with the dwarves (6). Three sets of three similarities relating to different parts of the story. Even without magic and superstition, that is significant.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, and why I don’t think Paolini purposely decided to rip things off is because he seems fairly genuine. It seems more likely that he some of the ripping off was unintentional, and some of it was him thinking that he was paying homage or just not knowing that he couldn’t use certain things from other sources (and not getting called out on it before his book was published). He was young when he started the series (not that that’s an excuse) and he may have been ignorant of a lot of what he was doing. I can’t really speak that much on the ripping off because I haven’t red LotR yet, and I still haven’t seen Star Wars in its entirety. I haven’t read Dune either, so I thought that Elva was fairly original too. Guess not. She’s still one of the more interesting characters though.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

The thing is, it’s quite easy to like the series if you don’t care about all those things. So, in my opinion, that explains the fans.

The thing is, it’s quite easy to like the series if you don’t care about all those things. So, in my opinion, that explains the fans.

True. I used to like the series because I didn’t really care about that stuff. Now, I don’t really have a strong dislike for it or anything, I’m just not all that interested. I think I’ve realized that I was never that invested in the characters or what happened to them.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I have been looking for a Griffindor scarf since the dawn of time. I really need to just make one.

NeuroticPlatypus: What's that about them being from the west? I thought Du Weldenvarden was North?

Wait, I have a question regarding Star Wars: The droids weren't actually stolen were they? ...wait, it's not referring to the droids but the plans, right?
    I can't find that tropes thing, could someone help me please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

ok, I have an honest question here: If Paolini came out and said from the start that all of this stuff was based from where it is suspected to be based, would it have been acceptable?

And thank you for the link TheArmouer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

Well, no, that would have been considered outright plagiary and he would have been taken to court. And heavily fined.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Hokus Pick! There's a bunch of action in the Inheritance thread!

Sorry, this is going to be really off topic and I'll promise to catch up on where this thread has gone, but I got I do have this question
    @SWQ
    How do you mean that Tolkien was not a particularly sophisticated writer? I find this hard to believe because he had such painstaking attention to the words. There is no word used that was created in the last 200 years or so as he felt modern words were ugly and highly anachronistic/ jarring. Very specific attention was given to the origin of words. One of the few breaks from his rigour was the use of the word 'louver' when describing the Golden Hall of Theoden. This stands out as it is French in origin unlike the rest of his word usage, but this was he couldn't find an appropriate word Anglo-Saxon in origin that described the hole in the roof to let out the smoke.

I would even argue that he had a very good ear for how a word sounded. 'Mor' is dark or black so in Mordor and Moria is dark land and dark chasm respectively. But the actual sound of the words sounds appropriately dark.

Of course there is a lot of Anglo-Saxon meaning embedded in some of his languages (Eorl, Leod etc).

Even his poetry is an interesting study. On the one hand, he creates several elegant and highly complex poems and on the other hand, extremely simplistic if not poorly done. But the important part is all the poems fit the speaker's culture that created them. That is, Tolkien is unafraid to write simple poetry because it matches the Hobbit's culture. But for another culture he will write in another way entirely.

As for storytelling, his thoughts on how fantasy ought to operate primary world vs secondary world is very interesting as all his books are an attempt to fulfill his ideas on creating a secondary world.

This should probably be moved to a Tolkien thread, but after listening to a lot of Professor Corey Olsen's lectures on Tolkien, I am genuinely curious why you think his writing lacks sophistication.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Tolkien. He is my inspiration for writing fantasy. I’ve also written papers and literary analyses about his works, so I hope I’m not speaking like an uneducated twit.

I know that Tolkien was a linguist, so he probably had a great understanding of words. However, he never pretended to be a writer. He loved languages, and his created languages are probably the greatest ever. He also did have a wonderful ear for how things sounded, which is reflected in his names. But that doesn’t necessarily make him a great writer, and it shows.

I hope you won’t mind that I’m not pulling out specific quotes from LotR right now, because it’s a freaking giant book and it’s kind of late. However, there are numerous instances in which Tolkien uses convoluted sentence structure, unnecessary words, and stilted language. I understand that the stilted language goes with the whole ‘mythological’ atmosphere he was aiming for (and it works, because there really is a mythological atmosphere) but still, I’m not sure that it was strictly necessary and he did have a tendency towards the verbose. (Although this might be a matter of personal taste. Anyway, I’m very glad he was smart and used archaic speech properly.)

While his poetry may be great (I’m not a poetry buff, so I won’t remark on that), it’s kind of just dropped into the book, along with numerous descriptions of landscape. I know it’s blasphemous, but I tend to skip these when I’m reading. I’m aware that Tolkien wasn’t necessarily writing for an audience or the story as much as for his own knowledge, and it really does add to the worldbuilding, but still…editing can be very useful.

I’m not trying to bash Tolkien here, as his books are some of my favorites, and you did bring up legitimate points. However, I honestly believe that the magic of Tolkien’s ideas usually outstripped the words he used to express them.

There are probably more points that I wanted to say…maybe I’ll add to this monster-post later, but for now I’ll sleep on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Tolkien only really wrote LOTR, Silmarillion, and The Hobbit as a backdrop to explain and introduce his constructed languages (including Quenya, Sindarin, Westron, Rohirric, Khuzdul, Entish, Valarin, and a few others). He wasn’t a storyteller as much as a con-linguist, and he wasn’t nearly as interested in writing a good story as he was in developing the cultures and people of his languages.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I could violently disagree, but I won’t. ^^

From several miles up the chain:

Talk about a man who could worldbuild like a god but couldn’t write personable characters to save his life.

Actually, I agree with you, Spanman, to some extent. Most of the characters were actively dislikeable only because they were based in a tradition of Islamic mythology, which is similarly cultured, oriental, and cruel. Also I still can’t figure out why Paul did what he did. To me the really amazing thing was just the extent to which a rich, semi-religious background was given to Arrakis. That atmosphere is something I’ve never seen before or since.

This Tolkien stuff is fascinating (honestly) but I must go back towards my earlier question. What do I do if my story was honestly influenced by another? Ask for permission?
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

If your story was influenced by someone else’s, and people reading it can’t tell that it’s plagiarism or instantly name the sources you drew on, then you’re fine. If you sincerely did not know that you were outside the boundary of good taste in imitating an author you liked, you could ask for permission, though you probably won’t get far, or you could change your story and characters until they no longer perfectly resemble the other authors. Resemblances are acceptable, a cut-and-paste is not.

Well, what about cases where you think of something then later realize it is almost exactly like something else? But it's still what you thought of and exactly how you want it?
    Another question: Is fan fiction publishable?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That atmosphere is something I’ve never seen before or since.

Truth. To be honest, the part of Dune that I most enjoyed was the appendices, where Herbert explained the evolution of religion and the origin of the Orange Catholic Bible and such. I just found all that incredibly fascinating.

Mostly the reason I didn’t like the book was because Paul and his mother seemed really devoid of real emotion, and there wasn’t a single time that I believed that he was the actual age he was supposed to be. Even though he’s supposed to be this great leader and all, I just couldn’t buy it. There’s a lot more I could say but it’s been a while since I read it so I’d probably be pretty inaccurate about it all. :P

what’s your favorite SF book? Or what you consider the best, which can be different?

Hard to say. I’m not really well-read in SF, to be honest. The book I most enjoyed would have to be Ender’s Game or Ender’s Shadow, but other than those and Dune I haven’t really read the classics. I really want to read Dan Simmons’ Hyperion because I’ve heard it’s amazing and perplexing at the same time… anyone else read it? On a less serious note, though, I really enjoyed Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. :D

• CommentAuthorSen

Another question: Is fan fiction publishable?

No. Probably only on the Internet, such as on fanfiction.net, and if you don’t plan on profiting from it. You can’t profit from someone else’s intellectual efforts. Apparently exceptions are made, but I have not heard of many examples in which the author gave permission for a fanfic based off of their own work to be published. Also, it is probably acceptable to publish something that started off as a fanfic, but then changed to such an extent, that the characters, events and other elements of your literary world are now of your own imagination. Of course, after such changes, it could hardly be called fanfiction anymore. And you would probably do well to not broadcast it to the entire world where you got your ideas from, unless you claim the original work to have been your inspiration and, as I said, your own work must be considerably altered from the original characters, places, etc.

However, if you are that incapable of coming up with something remotely original, you hardly deserve the right to fight to get it published. I’m not addressing you directly. Don’t mean to sound too sharp. Just pointing out that if someone was that good an author he/she would not need to base his/her work entirely on someone else’s. Someone like that does not deserve to get his foot in the door of the world of literature. I think there are ways to get around being sued, the best way, of course, being through getting the permission of the author who created the original work. Outside of that, it’s probably something you would not want to get into in the first place. Very messy business if you don’t tread carefully.

He wasn’t a storyteller as much as a con-linguist, and he wasn’t nearly as interested in writing a good story as he was in developing the cultures and people of his languages.

The great thing about Tolkien is that he ended up with a kickass story anyways.

Alright well here’s a scenario, but first; have you all heard of Naruto? (like, dislike, whatever. Do you know it?)

If you haven’t, then here is the basic info I’m dealing with: A giant fox demon with incredibly massive power was destroying the village, then Naruto’s Dad performed an epic sealing technique and sealed it inside the baby Naruto. Now, Naruto is able to draw on it’s power because it is sealed inside him.

Does this mean I can’t have a creature sealed within another creature that uses the sealing to their advantage?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Well, let me lay out two separate scenarios.

ONE: Tyler, the kid everyone hates, has a secret: A long time ago, a giant spirit in the shape of a fox attacked his home. His father managed to seal it away inside him before dying, and people dislike him because of that. He can use the power of the spirit when he’s really angry.

TWO: Tyler is a fairly average kid who secretly dreams of being a famous warrior someday like his father. He has a dark spirit inside him that worries those in charge of his upbringing – what no one knows is that it’s actually the soul of his dead father, who was a great fighter but an evil man.

Let’s count the similarities. First plot summary.

One – everyone hates him.
    Two – giant spirit attacked his home.
    Three – his father sealed it into him.
    Four – People dislike him because of that.
    Five – He can use the spirit’s power.

Too many. You’d have to eliminate or change at least three of these to get a non-plagiarized story. Other plot summary.

One – dreams of being famous. I don’t know if this was in Naruto but I’m counting it in case.
    Two – Dark spirit inside.
    Three – worries his guardians.
    EDIT: – Four – can use the spirit’s power.

The differences, now, are that he’s average, not a dropout or a loser; he’s got an inner dreamy idealist who reveres his father; the spirit actually IS his father, who’s at least mostly evil.

Here you would have to watch you didn’t swing too far into Darth Vader territory, but as this stands, emphasizing what I’ve emphasized, this is a nice muddled blend of the two where you can see resemblances but no specific correlation. While the second one is technically at the threeshold, note that at least one of these is a fairly generic description which can either be plagiarism or not depending on how it is developed. This person shares superficial similarities with Naruto, but is really a completely different individual – where Naruto is brash, unthinking, and headstrong, this guy I’ve got in my head is a quiet, thoughtful, not particularly strong person.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

@SWQ
    I'm not sure I entirely agree, but fair point. By the way, in your literary analysis etc, have you come across Professor Corey Olsen aka the Tolkien Professor? He has some fascinating podcasts of his lectures and discussion groups that are wonderful for any Tolkien fan.

@Taku

Tolkien only really wrote LOTR, Silmarillion, and The Hobbit as a backdrop to explain and introduce his constructed languages (including Quenya, Sindarin, Westron, Rohirric, Khuzdul, Entish, Valarin, and a few others). He wasn’t a storyteller as much as a con-linguist, and he wasn’t nearly as interested in writing a good story as he was in developing the cultures and people of his languages.

This I firmly disagree with and all his writings about storytelling itself would lead me to believe otherwise. Yes, a lot of his stories grew from his knowledge of language (for instance, the particular use of the word Ent for instance.) As a philologist words told a story of their own and that pushed him to new story ideas. But that is not the same as the story simply being an excuse for his languages.

Everything that he wrote was predicated on his ideas on storytelling which can be found on an (admittedly) convoluted essay On Fairy Stories and many of his writings. Ideas like start with the familiar and moving to the fantastical is not only the story of Bilbo's journey, but also how Tolkien chooses to introduce the reader to his new world. His character arc mirrors the readers own introduction to Middle Earth.

He was very, very interested in concepts of storytelling and strongly disagreed with the way contemporary children's stories assumed children were idiots, needed to be told moral stories, and couldn't handle the fantastical- amongst other things.

I could go on, but I promised to get back to Eragon and Paolini.

(My humble apologies.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalling

@ War Wizard
    Well, what about cases where you think of something then later realize it is almost exactly like something else? But it's still what you thought of and exactly how you want it?

Well, I think in this case, I would take Brandon Sanderson's suggestions and be very familiar with the sort of stories that have been told in your genre (unlike Meyer never reading a vampire story). It helps to know what's been created, what has been done before, and what new directions that could be pushed.

On the otherhand, reading time necessarily cuts into writing time so you have to be careful about that.

You can't catch every last story that's been published and I don't think you need to. But even having a general idea of what's been done (again and again and again) is terribly helpful.

Well..here’s what was kinda swirling around in my mind: I wanted something powerful sealed inside of a young child to keep it well… sealed. I was thinking a dragon at first (can you tell I was reading one of the Inheritance novels?) but all I know is it needs to be POWERFUL. I was wanting it to actually have been done by a bad guy, as in the powerful force was good, so they sealed it away. The seal was kinda funkily done though, so it MESSES with the kid. I was thinking that because of it, he has all sorts of mental problems so people stay away from him and don’t really like him. Eventually, he finds a way to communicate with said powerful force and it helps him.

Powerful Force sealed inside child.
    Seal messes with kid (I realized this is kinda like a different seal that was placed on Naruto during the series).
    People don’t like him.
    Gains power from sealed force.

Note: I’m not sure what his character will be like, but wouldn’t that be a kinda separate matter? If everyone hates him his whole life, why wouldn’t he want revenge or some other sort of retribution?

Falling: What if you just want to make your own story with what’s already there or with what you know? I’m not really familiar with any of the Twilight arguments, and frankly that’s not really what concerns me now (just being honest). Here is a question though: Wouldn’t not reading any novels or not being very familiar with your genre just make it certain that you didn’t plagiarize? I’m simply referring back to a lot of the Inheritance arguments here due to my lack of Twilight argument knowledge.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

My Twilight knowledge is actually very scant. But it's more a critique based on a interview that she says she had never read any of the classic vampire stories. It's not necessarily that she plagiarized, but rather that this is (I would argue) an inadvisable thing to do.

But I'm wondering, to what extent are you writing your own story with what's already there or with what you already know? Are you re-writing a book you love? That's a phase a lot of writers go through, but need to move beyond. For instance, years and years ago, I began what amounted to a Hobbit-Fellowship of the Ring hybrid with Dwarves instead of Hobbits and Elves instead of Dwarves. But after a couple years, I realized that even if I finished it #1 I couldn't sell it anywhere's and #2 and more importantly, it would only be a shadow compared to the source.

I loved the material and so that's why I wrote it, but I had to make the choice to stop and start over again. One useful thing for me, was to start a fantasy story with no magic at all- in hindsight it pushed the narrative in radically different directions then I otherwise would when you can fall back on an evil wizard/overlord or a magical macguffin. Later on, I added magic back in when I had a better handle on how to use magic within a story.

However, one thing that I did and one thing that Sanderson and the Writing Excuses group suggests is to take the bits and pieces that you created and use those as a basis for a new story. Or you might have to shelve the entire thing.

Now, if we're not talking about rewriting stories, but influence, then that's different. The problem with not reading any other novels is it's too easy to tread over ground that's been done a thousand times before and sound very tired. By having a good grasp of what's out there, you can see what's been done and what hasn't been done. There's a lot of fun that can be had either subverting common tropes or playing them straight, but giving greater reason for them to be there/ giving them a new spin.

Professor Corey Olsen aka the Tolkien Professor? He has some fascinating podcasts of his lectures and discussion groups that are wonderful for any Tolkien fan.

I have heard of him, but I haven’t had the chance to listen to him yet. Are there transcripts out there? I have trouble simply listening to lectures.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Just in general? Because he's a pretty engaging speaker and quite consistently discusses with his class rather than simply talking at them. For instance, I have a hard time with audiobooks. I usually need to read it at the same time (I also have a hard time reading books online despite my voracious reading on forums) but I don't really have a problem with his podcasts.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone's written the transcripts for his lectures. The closest I can find is a Q and A:
    http://hobbitstohumans.com/2011/02/11/sam-is-the-real-hero-of-the-lord-of-rings-says-tolkien-professor-corey-olsen/

But it's really quite paltry compared to his lectures and podcasts. (He starts with podcasts and eventually moves to recording lectures and discussions.)

If you can try him out, I would start with How to Read Tolkien and Why
    http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/lectures/intro.html

Thanks for the recommendation! That looks really interesting; I’ll have to look into it.

Falling: I wouldn’t rewrite a book..that just doesn’t sound too appealing to me. I’m talking about my own story. Bear in mind that I don’t write much of my stories at all, they’re all in my head. Either way, creation of a story is what I’m talking about.

The problem with not reading any other novels is it’s too easy to tread over ground that’s been done a thousand times before and sound very tired. By having a good grasp of what’s out there, you can see what’s been done and what hasn’t been done.

Do you mean just for the purposes of the audience wanting something they haven’t seen before?

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Wow, this really has turned into the Tolkien Thread.
    One small point- not to be a moderator, WWR, but you can use the Edit button instead of posting again.
    I’ve listened to some of Professor Olsen’s pod casts. He has such an amazing grasp of Tolkien’s writing, and his ideas and the languages.

Wait, so instead of commenting again, just add to the previous one?

Uh.. ok, will do.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yep.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011

This I firmly disagree with and all his writings about storytelling itself would lead me to believe otherwise. Yes, a lot of his stories grew from his knowledge of language (for instance, the particular use of the word Ent for instance.) As a philologist words told a story of their own and that pushed him to new story ideas. But that is not the same as the story simply being an excuse for his languages.

Actually, despite the reasons he eventually developed it began (not ended, but began) a a way to explore the contexts of this languages, and little more. He confessed as much in a letter that was published in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, compiled by his biographer and youngest son. As he wrote more, he came up with new reasons to write, but the initial spark was simply about putting his languages into a context.

I love me some Tolkien but I’m bringing it back to topic (a bit belatedly, perhaps, but I liked the discussion). If you guys want to continue, I know we have a Tolkien thread somewhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited

Good idea! On topic!

One of the stupidest lines in Inheritance (up to where I’ve read so far) is also one of the shortest:

Time passed.

NO SHIT, SHERLOCK! WHAT, WERE YOUR CHARACTERS ALL FROZEN IN SPACE UNTIL THIS ONE PARTICULAR INSTANT OF TIME HAPPENED TO PASS? WHAT CAUSED IT TO PASS, IF NO TIME HAD ELAPSED BEFORE THE WRITING OF THIS BRILLIANTLY POETIC SENTENCE?

Maybe this is why Elain’s pregnancy seemed to take so long, they were all FROZEN for three books!

Talk about one-dimensional characters… heheh.

What was the argument against the eldunari? Someone said something about “elf stones”, but I don’t know what they were talking about.

Also, what about the Ra’zac?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Eldunarya are hardly a new concept, as explored here. As foir ra’zac, they are just Nazgul crossed with Skeksis. The bit about larval forms was interesting, but poorly done and illogical.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Since I am a Z generation feminist [reasonable, yet firmly against even the most subtle of prejudice’s, and also accepting that men have rights] the thing that annoys me is Arya, and Paolini’s attitude towards her. She’s this strong warrior, a magician who is way more powerful than Eragon-without-Saphira, and yet Pao keeps writing scenes where Eragon has to rescue her. The end of book 3, for example, and there are a couple of scenes in book four that I won’t spoil for you all.
    At least Katrina kept a steady head and used common sense when it came to her and Roran’s future. The chapter where her and Roran talked about their baby was one of the best in the book, in my opinion. It was sweet, not saccharine, and actually made sense.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

BlueMask, you must have loved that scene where Nasuada was all “you need to see a healer, you’re obviously injured!” and Roran is like “no way, I’m cool!” And then Nasuada bows her head submissively and says “as you wish”. This is the commander of an armygiving a direct order to one of her underlings, and when he refuses she just backs down? Way to portray a strong female figure, Paolini.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I wouldn’t say that’s so much the author’s attitude toward women, as merely the inevitable result of stifling character growth. Eragon needs someone to rescue, both to show his growing power and to prove that he’s a good guy, and Arya’s forced into that role. All kinds of weird things happen in books treated this way, which can be interpreted as the prejudices of the author – but since there’s another female who’s done well, as you say, I’d say this might be more the result of forcing characters to fit plot rather than adapting plot to fit characters’ motivations, growth, and desires.

Still a mortal sin, of course, just to a different group of people. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

That makes even more sense. I guess it’s more the unintentional and subtle stuff that annoys me…
    Gosh, I sound like SwanKIvy- she said pretty much the same thing in one of her essays. I read too much anti stuff, honestly.

I’m kind of late to the game but…

Alright well here’s a scenario, but first; have you all heard of Naruto? (like, dislike, whatever. Do you know it?)

If you haven’t, then here is the basic info I’m dealing with: A giant fox demon with incredibly massive power was destroying the village, then Naruto’s Dad performed an epic sealing technique and sealed it inside the baby Naruto. Now, Naruto is able to draw on it’s power because it is sealed inside him.

Does this mean I can’t have a creature sealed within another creature that uses the sealing to their advantage?

When constructing a story I wouldn’t think “Okay I like this story so for mine I’m going to use the main gist of it and then try to go in another direction from that.” or whatever. But I guess it’s not necessarily a bad thing. I think it’s completely fine with you having a monster sealed in someone as long as the circumstances are different and it’s not a fox. I am aware of a lot of my own similarities with other works but I don’t believe I ever thought “I like this specific concept from a specific thing so I want to use it” or that I unintentionally plagiarized anything.

Also I dislike Naruto. I’ve read it all and am still reading it. It used to be good. The author is reasonably competent in crafting stories, worlds and characters. But he under-uses the good secondary characters, a lot of the main ones kind of suck, powers get ridiculous, the character drama gets bullshitty (get over Sasuke, Naruto godammit!), flashbacks are boring as are other things, and the main antagonist’s plan is silly, to name a few things. I’m sorry but when I see someone talk about Naruto I can’t help but blab on about it… The series is good in summary but the specifics and endgame is eh.

Because of the illogical pirate vs ninja debate, I always compare Naruto with One Piece when they shouldn’t be compared. So go read (or watch but reading is better) One Piece. At first it might not seem as deep and “mature” as Naruto but over time and in retrospect you really see how brilliant the author is. And it’s funny and fun. One Piece is a romance in the literary sense with no bullshitty romance in the relationship sense.

...Uh but yeah if you can draw from Naruto but make it actually amazing then more power to you, bro!

Thanks for the assistance happycrab. I really don’t know if I saw the sealing thing and wanted it, or was just kinda thinking some stuff around and a creature seal power thing came along which I later realized was like Naruto. I was playing around with the idea of it being the main protagonist, but I think I’m going to try to put all my ideas into one story to give it more variety and breadth.

I will definitely check out One Piece when I get some time.

Have you guys read Inheritance yet? I want to ask about stuff in it, but I don’t know if you still care about spoiling it or not…honestly.

Just put spoilers in hidden text and let everyone know clearly (bolded text is best) that spoilers and not just funnies are hidden.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011

I’m just under halfway through, managing about a page or so per day.

It’s that bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I would be happy to talk about it, being a speed reader and reasonable type person.

That’s okay War Wizard. No you won’t. It’s too long. I am never reading Inheritance. But as long as I read analyses and such of it I believe I am entitled to think (well know) it’s bad.

Um Taku doesn’t that mean it will take you like 2 years to read…?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

alas, yes. Maybe not as slow as a page per day, but that’s what it feels like. At least I’m keeping ahead of the Anti_Shurtugal spork.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

You reading that too? They always do such a good job of it. I cant wait for swankivy’s essay though, that’ll be the highlight.

I want to know what you all think of the following things
    ALL FOLLOWING HIDDEN TEXTS ARE SPOILERS

...that’s kind of a lot of stuff..sorry.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011 edited

You reading that too?

I’m participating. 8D

Warwiz, I can only comment on the first two things, but my comment is the same: Completely stupid and impractical. Especially the raft thing. Sure, they might have done a bit of damage to the gate, but the chance of them all dying horribly either by drowning or being squished against a huge metal grille was about 90%. The other 9% was the chance of only most of them dying horrible, with the others surviving with horrible wounds.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

I assume the last 1% was the ever-present possibility of the complete implosion of the universe?

Oh, no, it’s survival. Wait, that’s stupid.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

No, the 1% is the chance of a blue whale falling into the raft and crushing everyone instantly.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

You see that 1 lead by infinite 0s?

Those are their actual chances of success.

In a fantasy where you aren’t actually given specific information, how can you get such a specific answer?

Note: Those are not fighting words.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I don’t think TakuGifian ever said those were precise percentages, I think his point is that it was completely impractical. Imagine you’re a soldier with a squad of men. Do you charge the enemy bunker head on? They have a better position, a mounted machine gun and outnumber you 10 to 1. Sure, there’s a chance you’ll take the bunker, but you don’t know how large that chance is. Common sense says to sit tight in the trench and find some other way.

Common sense says to sit tight in the trench and find some other way.

I see what you mean, but they had been doing that and the raft thing WAS the other way. Was it for sure going to work? No. Was it risky? Most definitely. I just think that saying that scene was “Completely stupid and impractical” is a little much. Opinion? Sure, but I was kinda hoping for a little more than..well, than just that.
    Could you please elaborate a little Taku? And what about the first thing?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011 edited

Imagine you’re a soldier with a squad of men. Do you charge the enemy bunker head on?

It’s not just that. It’s charging the enemy head-on riding on an aggressive blindfolded bronco while wearing wet paper armour.

1: Rafts are not strong. Load a wooden raft with enough weight for it to smash open a securely locked hardwood/metal gate and it will sink or break.

2: Rafts are not hydrodynamic. Push a flat raft into whitewater and it will sink, either by breaking or being swamped.

3: Moving at that speed, a wooden raft however loaded against a pair of solidly bolted heavy hardwood and/or metal gates with smash like so much debris against a cliff.

4: Riding anything at the speed required for any amount of mass to smash through a pair of solid bolted wooden gates, will make you fall off on impact unless you are securely strapped down, probably directly into the thing being smashed into. This will result most probably in concussion, unconsciousness, pretty serious scratch wounds and big splinters all over the place, and possible drowning. Seatbelts and airbags exist for a reason, and head-on-collision without one isn’t something someone can walk away fighting from. Especially not a confused mass of bodies on the same raft.

5. It would have been so, so, SO much more logical to use sandbags to block off the canals on the downstream side of the city and then flood it while you stand safely on the sidelines. Pseudo-medieval drainage will never be good enough to cope with that amount of water, and the lower part of the city would have been pretty quickly overwhelmed. Food stores would be destroyed, the sewage and filth will rise up and cause disease, the rats and cockroaches and other vermin will be clamouring for higher ground (i.e. the castle), so it wouldn’t take very long at all to negotiate a surrender, starve them out or just leave the city to its disease and famine-fuelled death.

5. The thing about kamikaze missions, no matter how romantic/heroic they are portrayed in literature, is that you are generally not expected to survive. Roran basically sent his entire camp to their deaths, on the off-chance that everything would work out precisely, and they wouldn’t be swamped by the flood and drown. Not very heroic, and not very strategic.

Therefore, I conclude that the plan was completely impractical, almost devoid of military strategy, and almost certainly suicidal. In short: “completely stupid and impractical”, just as I said.

As for the deathdart (I call it that because“dauthdaert” is stupid, and adding extra letters does not a conlang make), that’s another matter entirely and I don’t have the time right now to get to the details.

Will ImpishIdea be critiquing Inheritance to the degree that Brisingr was any time soon? I'm really interested in reading what you guys have to say about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWryte
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

Hello, everyone. The name’s Wryte. Some of you may remember me as Shinobaka, if you were around back in the days of Anti-Shurtugal or even Dog-Eared/Deus Ex Machina, but these days I’m better known as Wryte over at TV Tropes.

I picked up Inheritance shortly after it came out, and am currently slowly slogging my way through it, and sporking it as I go (to that end, I haven’t really read this thread, as I’m trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible). I just learned of this site today, and thought I’d drop in today to shamelessly self-plug said sporking, which is hosted by the TV Tropes liveblogginations, and can be found here.

My sporking of the book’s forward synopsis can also be found on both Dog-Eared and Deus Ex Machina Forums.

So… now that that’s out of the way… does anyone here know/remember me?

make an intro thread nub

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

gasps

YOU...!

...don’t know me because I lurked, but I know you.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Some of you may remember me as Shinobaka

HOLY CRAP.

single tear of joy

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Shinobaka, you know that sounds familiar...
    You were on Deux Ex Machina as well weren't you?

I'm going to have to read that sporking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yay, more old people that I don’t know! Anyways…
    Ooh, good sporking.
    And WWR, antishurtugal is doing a collective sporking.

Taku: I disagree with points 1-3. 1: That is the sort of thing that I don’t personally believe we can be sure of in this setting. It is a massive raft, and we do not know exactly how strong the gate was. 2: Rafts float because the materials they are made of are naturally buoyant, which means that even if you submerge one it will float back to the surface. 3: Inertia. Have you ever seen a picture of a piece of straw driven through a tree by a tornado? The same concept applies here. Given enough weight and speed, that gate could have been solid diamond and it wouldn’t have mattered.
    Point 4 does have a bit of truth to it and I do not remember EXACTLY what happened, so I can’t say more without searching the book again. Point 5 makes quite a bit of sense, although it was said that they could not get too close to the city. Point 5-2: I would agree with the first part, but not so much the second.

Bluemask: I actually have already read some stuff on antishurtugal. One of the reasons I joined II was because you all discuss the flaws in the writing. Whether I agree with what is said or not, it is the critical perspective that I came for. I think that reading this material will help me to become a better writer.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

Except there’s no way the raft was going fast enough to break through the gate. I’m preeety sure when they design gates they design them specifically to keep things out, and I’m pretty sure when they design barges they don’t have “battering rams” in mind. Also, if your argument is in terms of force I’m pretty sure the “battering ram” will break first. In addition, unlike real battering rams, you only get to hit once. Unless Paolini defied the laws of physics again, there’s no way they could have built up enough speed to break the gate.

Before I continue, I just want to say that my main point is that we DO NOT KNOW the specific strengths and such involved and as long as we don’t, we can’t be sure if this would or would not work. Quick calculation: They had roughly 650 soldiers on the vessel (which was nearly 500 feet long), enough slate to at least cover 250 feet+however wide the thing was, along with sacks of flour lining the perimeter of the whole vessel (at least 1000 feet). Assuming the average soldier weighs 180 pounds, that’s 117,000 pounds OR 58.5 tons (53.0703 tonnes) in SOLDIERS ALONE.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011 edited

WWR- fair enough. And that’s unusually open-minded of you. I know I couldn’t be the same about, say, Harry Potter.
    EDIT: I meant, about the joining the site.
    I don’t really get maths or physics, so I can’t give my opinion.

And that’s unusually open-minded of you.

True. Still wouldn’t want to be in that raft. My physics is notoriously bad, but even if people smashing into a wall is a force with momentum, people are soft and breakable. The impulse will be horrific, won’t it?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, and with all that weight comes less buoyancy. It was said that before the water was released that the barge was just inches inches from the bottom of the river, and it was specifically mentioned that the barges were built like giant rectangles. There’s the question of whether the thing is physically capable of floating, and then even if it somehow does it still has to displace a huge amount of water to even move. Like you said, we have no specific numbers, but from what Paolini wrote himself there’s no way that the barge was moving fast enough to break through the gate. Paolini also made sure to mention that they made a giant wall around the perimeter of this 500 foot long barge, up the men’s waists. If the “avalanche” of water had really come at them so fast while they were so close to the bed of the river, a lot of it should have been caught within this rectangular wall, further adding to the weight and further sinking the vessel. In addition, there’s no mention of any kind of steering system. Remember that this is a 500 foot long barge that was pieced together in the shape of a rectangle. How are they supposed to keep it straight? Oh, Roran will just shout at you and the thing will magically realign somehow. And in the off chance it does somehow all go to plan and the barge smashes, how are they supposed to swim to shore with full armor on? And if they aren’t wearing any armor, how can they expect to survive when they are (and I quote) outnumbered “by more than two to one”? Yeah, I don’t have any fancy numbers or complicated pie chats showing all the data, but honestly, do you really believe that such is thing is possible?

^ I am confused just looking at the above. :P

Anyway, CP is one of the major reasons that I’m terrified of writing anything related to fantasy warfare. I know it can be done awesomely (GRRM, for instance? Of course there are many other examples), but knowing me, I will probably end up on the CP end of the scale.

I’m not saying that CP shouldn’t use his imagination to write fantastical battle sequences, but they have to make some kind of internal sense. I…am not getting that here. Sorry, WWR. Not to be mean or anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

2: Rafts float because the materials they are made of are naturally buoyant, which means that even if you submerge one it will float back to the surface.

Incorrect. Rafts are only buoyant while they are above water because of the large surface area and the surface tension of the water. In white water (e.g. a flooding river), the surface tension of the water is broken. If water gets over the wall and into the raft (which it will, given the speed and turbulence of the water and natural obstructions along the way), it will sink. Try it with the plastic lid of a container in the sink one day. So long as the water is calm and it remains above water, it will float. Sink one edge of it slightly, and the surface tension is broken and it will sink. Move the water around it enough, and it will be swamped and sunk. Barges and rafts are designed for smooth, stable waters like lakes and ponds, not for rapid rivers and floods. If the swelling waves coming up behind them doesn’t overturn it from upwards pressure, the raft crashing into the canal walls will.

They had roughly 650 soldiers on the vessel (which was nearly 500 feet long), enough slate to at least cover 250 feet+however wide the thing was, along with sacks of flour lining the perimeter of the whole vessel (at least 1000 feet). Assuming the average soldier weighs 180 pounds, that’s 117,000 pounds OR 58.5 tons (53.0703 tonnes) in SOLDIERS ALONE.

Thus proving my point that it is a completely stupid idea. Anything with that much weight on it will have to be massive for mere surface tension to counterbalance the downward pressure of all that weight. Second, have you ever measured out 500 feet? Converting that into real measurements, that’s over 150 metres long. Or roughly the height of a 45-storey building. Or moire than seventy-five relatively tall people laid head to toe in a single line. Given that there is a wooden gate over the canal’s entrance to the city, it can’t be all that wide, either. The length of such a craft will make it sidewardly unstable, like a log. Second, a raft of that length in a canal of that narrowness would require an almost perfectly straight path across the country, or it will get jammed between the banks trying to turn a corner too sharp for it. As far as I’m aware, no canal created before, well, ever, is that perfectly straight. Rivers and man-made canals both follow the lie of the land, because it’s much easier digging around a hill (or an outcrop of rock) than straight through. The only reason you would do that (like the Roman aqueducts) would be to keep a stable downward slope from the source. But Arrows doesn’t need that, because there are no massive hills between the river and them, just gentle rolling plains with a steady downward slope toward the city. It would be massively impractical to spend all that extra energy to create a perfectly straight water track for no other reason than for the plot of a book that occurs possibly generations after the canal was dug.

How are they supposed to keep it straight?

Exactly so! Water does not flow uniformly, and it’s more than a fair chance to bet that the weight distribution on that raft was not exactly symmetrical. It’s going to ram into one of the walls or banks and collapse long before it reaches the city.

as long as we don’t, we can’t be sure if this would or would not work.

But it’s basic physics. The forces and sheer masses required for this scene to play out as it did are simply not physically possible. Unless they were using a self-propelled iron-plated aircraft carrier with a specially engineered ballasts or multihull design and a specially designed hull-breaking stern, the ship is simply not going to reach the speed required to actually do damage to anything that the soldiers couldn’t have broken down with their fists. Unless they already had a fair amount of momentum, the surging water behind them would have whelmed them and sunk the raft, much like a surfer who is caught under a wave.

we do not know exactly how strong the gate was

Point: This is a city with three concentric stone walls and gates on several sides that were too strong for the army to break down from the outside. What makes you think the gates over the canals would be any less well protected? One does not build a three-tiered walled city and cover the openings with flywire. Given that there is a canal and drain, I would expect a solid metal grill as well as a wooden gate. No raft is going to burst through that without chemical propulsion and a reinforced specially-designed stern. If the gates were already that rotten, the soldiers should have been able to basically tear them off the hinges with grappling hooks.

3: Inertia. Have you ever seen a picture of a piece of straw driven through a tree by a tornado?

That is a good point, except for the fact that the straw in that example is moving at close to the speed of sound. Inertia works both ways: A barge as large and as heavy as the one described would require massive amounts of sustained force (e.,g a manned crew of rowers or polers, or chemical propulsion) to create momentum. Even then it would take a great deal of time and space to bring such a craft up to the sorts of speeds required for it to actually smash through the gate.

I’m preeety sure when they design gates they design them specifically to keep things out, and I’m pretty sure when they design barges they don’t have “battering rams” in mind. Also, if your argument is in terms of force I’m pretty sure the “battering ram” will break first. In addition, unlike real battering rams, you only get to hit once. Unless Paolini defied the laws of physics again, there’s no way they could have built up enough speed to break the gate.

even if people smashing into a wall is a force with momentum, people are soft and breakable. The impulse will be horrific, won’t it?

That’s what I said before. Seatbelts and airbags exist for a reason in the modern world, and head-on-collisions with enough force to smash through a besieged city’s defences will a) throw everyone on the raft forward into the gate, probably before or just as it is breaking, causing concussions, some pretty serious (including, potentially, fatal) splinters and cuts, unconsciousness, severe whiplash or even broken necks, broken limbs, crushing, drowning in the confusion, and who knows what else. If there is a metal potcullis behind the wooden one , there’s likely to be very few survivors. Since Paolini didn’t mention a portcullis (that I can recall), we’ll go with the option of some pretty serious injuries for the people near the front of the barge.

Wow, I’ve gone on a bit, haven’t I? But there’s little I like less than people ignoring or arguing against the laws of physics because ‘we don’t know all the variables’. They’re the laws of physics. It doesn’t matter what variables we don’t know, we have yet to find any variables that contravene the laws of physics. What we do know is that the variables we haven’t measured need to be so massive as to be impossible. QEF.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

Remember that this is a 500 foot long barge that was pieced together in the shape of a rectangle.

I haven’t had a chance to read the book yet, so I don’t know the actual description of the barge, but doesn’t sound right either. When you are trying to break through something, you want to use something that has a small contact surface like a wedge. A large, flat contact surface spreads out the force and weight of the impact too much (thus why axes are better at cutting down trees than sledge hammers). If Pao-pao wrote that the barges were rectangular, that would make the whole scenario even more impossible. Even if it isn’t a rectangle and was more wedge shaped, the main force and weight should be at the center point shouldn’t it?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

He made specific mention that the prows were not pointed, which made it easy to attach several of them end to end. And I quote:

“The barges were more like crude rafts than the flat-bottomed boats the villagers had ridden down the coast from Narda to Teirm, for which Roran was grateful, because it meant that they did not have pointed prows. This had made it relatively easy to fasten the four barges end to end with boards, nails, and ropes, thus creating a single rigid structure almost five hundred feet long.”

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

This reminds me of those old “Did the Death Star really have the kinetic energy required to blow up Alderaan” debates I used to avoid participating in.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

War Wizards Rule, a question: what do you think are objectively good points of Inheritance? (The books in general, not just the fourth one.)

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

3: Inertia. Have you ever seen a picture of a piece of straw driven through a tree by a tornado? The same concept applies here. Given enough weight and speed, that gate could have been solid diamond and it wouldn’t have mattered.

No, it does not.

Inertia requires tens of thousands of Newtons and a concentrated point for that force. Water only flows so fast, and the raft + cargo + passengers can only contribute so much mass. Factor in terminal velocity (all the stuff on the raft has quite a lot of surface area, and the more surface area you have, the more air drag, and the deeper an object is in the water, the more drag you get from the water, which is substantial; the more drag you have, the less your velocity), and you might get a couple thousand Newtons, tops, which will be spread out by all the surface are of said raft + cargo + passengers so that you have only a couple hundred Newtons hitting the gate at any given point. Plus people are squishy, so they’d contribute very little inertia-wise.

The reason why a piece of straw can pierce a tree is because a) it’s lightweight, which allows the wind to impart almost all of its acceleration to it, and b) the straw piece has a very small surface area, which means that when it impacts the tree, all the force imparted to the straw piece is focused on one tiny section of the trunk.

It’s why pointed objects, like knives, do more penetrating damage compared to blunt objects, like clubs. The force of the blow is concentrated into one tiny point, which pushes apart the matter in its way, allowing the object to penetrate very deeply.

I could go into the whole calculations thing, but that would be tedious and messy.

Also, on a side note, diamond, although the hardest mineral known to man, is extremely fragile. All it takes is a gentle tap in the right spot, and the entire piece shatters. If the gate had been made of diamond, the whole ramming business would have been far more plausible.

enough slate to at least cover 250 feet+however wide the thing was

And that detail right there just killed any plausibility at all. Slate is EXTREMELY slippery when wet. I know this firsthand for I live on a mountain comprised of the stuff, and I have slipped and fallen because of it so many times, despite being careful. One time, I busted up my knee so bad, I had no knee for three months; just a giant bruise where my knee would normally be. Limping all the way down the mountain to get back home was NOT FUN.

Considering how slippery slate is, that anyone/-thing was able to stay on the raft at such insane speeds as required to succeed (which are physically impossible to achieve based on the given details), not to mention during/after the collision, is just not believable.

And I second everything Taku pointed out.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

It’s phlebotinum slate, Kyllorac, jeez. Also apparently no one noticed the scene in Inheritance where Roran’s troops bolt outboard motors onto the backs of all the rafts. Hel-looo…

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

It has been a long time since I last read anything of Inheritance. I was going to borrow the books from the library yesterday, but I discovered (to my horror) that I had misplaced my library card.

WOE! D:

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

It’s why pointed objects, like knives, do more penetrating damage compared to blunt objects, like clubs. The force of the blow is concentrated into one tiny point, which pushes apart the matter in its way, allowing the object to penetrate very deeply.

That’s really what I was trying to get at. If you’re trying to ram a gate like that, you need to have a lot of weight and force behind a small surface area. Spreading the impact out over a large flat surface like the front of a barge would be counter-productive.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Actually, Roran did order “two stout logs attached to the underside of the lead barge. Since these were submerged, they would strike the lower half of the gate even as the prow rammed into the upper,” but even so I doubt it would so much to the “grid of iron and wood.” I still don’t see how it was possible for them to have been gaining speed as they got close to the target and I still don’t see how they gained enough speed to break the gate.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Anyone read the scene where Solemn Ass was trying to give Eragon information? It’s like Paolini wasn’t even trying any more. “here, have some information. Where did it come from? Who cares, let’s just say the werecats felt compelled to mention something that they themselves do not and cannot know anything whatsoever about, and then literally insert more clues into it’s mouth mid-conversation.”

Probably one of the cheapest author tricks I’ve ever seen, and used so blatantly and lazily that I actually physically punched the page in anger.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

Just finished reading the Green brick last night.

Initial thoughts:

What a (better than Eldest and Brisingr) piece of crap.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

It was much better than the others. In my opinion, the ending was the best bit. No happy, solid, ever after fairytale ending. And the fact that Cp put in a small amount of “It wasn’t all peace after the war” was understandable and logical. But the half-assed “it would be dangerous to keep the dragon eggs in Alagaesia” excuse was just bad.