Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

This applies to stories in general.

From what I can think of ATM, character types MOST likely to die: The Strongest Link
    Essentially, the strong overpowered character in the group. The chances of this character dying are directly proportional to how early he/she is introduced. This type overlaps with “mentor”, “parent” and “sibling” type. Their death will always leave the MC with a strong sense of either (a) justice, (b) vengeance [?] or© sorrow

Redeeming Traitor These folks once broke the group’s heart by falling to the dark side (and their cookies!). However, they then proceed to help the group when they need it the most. They ways in which they can die can be classified as: a) KillMeAndRun – The RT is injured grievously my the MC/group and then informs them that he/she still loves them and then proceeds to say something along the lines of ‘Run, run. I’ll hold off the people coming after you!!’ b)GiveUpCookies – The RT turns on his dark master and throws away his cookies, turning to the side of good. He then proceeds to get WTFBBQPwnd by the baddies (after weakening them enough for the MC). They most commonly die in the MC’s arms. Evul Lord Without a care for his/her people, this character will send legions upon legions of soldiers after the MC and his entourage only to be thwarted repeatedly. These folks will mostly likely try to activate the ultimate power while the MC is around to stop it. They then proceed to die while saying something along the lines of ‘No! This Can’t be! HOW?! EEEEEEAUGH!’ ... they also tend to laugh at people randomly. Sweet Little Love Interest Isn’t she just wonderful? How she cares for the MC selflessly? Is also a potential Damsel in Distress! The sweeter, the more likely to die, sadly. She will most likely die shielding the MC from a fatal blow, damn the idiot for not carrying a shield. Or… she’ll die at the hands of the ‘Evul Lord’ thus fueling the MC’s rage. If genders are reversed, chances of suicide are then introduced. Lifeside Buddy Always smiling, always strong, always by the MC’s side. These people will fight, protect and die for the MC. They were mostly likely childhood friends too! They will most likely die (a) saving the MC, (b) saving the MC’s love interest, (c) saving the MC’s cookies, (d) letting the MC escape or (e) at the very end, instead of the MC.

Feel free to add your ‘Most likely to die character types and cookies’

On a more serious note…

Give examples of an ‘ideal’ death.

I hate it when a dead character is seemingly forgotten and only brought up to make a character look more sympathetic
    I tend to be pretty ‘merciless’ in my stories, so lots of folks tend to die.
    The only stereotypical deaths from above that i have used so far are:
    Sweet little love interest and lifeside buddy (meshed with redeeming traitor).

So… death?

(And sorry if i used too many full-stops :S ) (and for any grammar errors too : / )

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010 edited

Lol, that gave me a TV Tropes vibe, so good on you. I felt like those applied more to video games than books, though. Maybe it’s because I play more VGs than I read books.

I have two types of ‘ideal’ deaths (I generally read Bildungsroman epic fantasy books, btw):

1) A random casualty of war, like (Harry Potter 7, SPOILER ALERT):

I just don’t like books in which you know central characters are immune to death until the end. If anyone saw the second Family Guy movie, I think Peter says something like, “Okay, there’s like 5 main characters on this ship. I think we’ll be fine.” I like it when books/ movies/ games fight convention and ignore that rule.

2) Sacrificial “chess” deaths. Not sacrificial in the sense of “I’ll stay here and let you guys escape!”. More along the lines of L in the second Death Note live action movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

My example of an ideal death is from Rilla of Ingleside and by extension The Blythes are Quoted (the last books of Anne of Green Gables). Spoiler hidden below if you intend on reading those books.

In my stories I either don’t kill off a lot of characters, or I kill off everyone. Not a lot in between. Generally if I kill of everyone, they die in a very Lovecraftian way (madness, eaten, takes own life, etc.). Otherwise, I try to make each death central to the story. Death isn’t something that you get over in a day or two, and then forget about. You will and should feel better with time, but something will never quite be the same. I kill off mostly main characters or ‘important’ characters in terms of their relationships to others, and I like to explore how the death affects the lives of everyone involved.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I usually kill off a good 3/4ths of my characters, although it really depends with the story setting. Like Miel said I’ve find it interesting to kill off the main characters and see how all that affects the other minor characters. Also, I hate happy endings. =P

•  
      CommentAuthorKloof

I kill off mostly main characters or ‘important’ characters in terms of their relationships to others, and I like to explore how the death affects the lives of everyone involved.

That’s pretty much how I do it too.
    I’m the kind of person that becomes passionate about characters by listening to music and comparing the story/characters to the songs I’m listening to, so if I’m planning to kill someone off, I listen to a sad/sad-sounding song, think about that character dying, and see what kinds of emotions it arouses in me.
    Examples:

The only downside to this is that I might become to attatched to the victim character, and be more reluctant about ending their life. It’s good to treat one’s characters like their children, but too much can prevent one from actually being able to hurt them. That happened to me recently. In my graphic novel-in-the-works (I’m still in the planning stage; Haven’t even started drawing yet) I’m planning on killing off the main character’s best friend in an accident caused by another protagonist. (Not sure if the type of death is stereotypical, though. Could be. This other protagonist kills MC’s bestie because he thinks he’s about to kill him. Inevitably, he’s not. It’s all a misunderstanding. Oops.) Anyway, it took me awhile to decide to go through with it. This character is really innocent and likable, so I had trouble forcing myself to end their puny life. Chances are, I’ll give in to my weaknesses and bring them back somehow. Only make them EVUL!

@ Miel: The Anne of Green Gables series used to be my most favorite books ever! I didn't know that there was a book after Rilla of Ingleside, though.

I once killed off my main character in a suicide job in a shitty trench in WWI. It makes me turn red to read that story now...All my war stories end with death, or an implied death. I guess that only makes sense.

I once killed off my main character in a suicide job in a shitty trench in WWI.

Hahaha. Hahahahahahaha.
    Sorry, that’s mean. But it was fuuunny…
    ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

@ lookingfor me, The Blythes are Quoted was only published last year. It’s mostly short stories that are semi-related to Anne’s family, but I thought the poetry was the most interesting part. An abridged version that collected only the short stories was published in 1974 under the title The Road to Yesterday. The new book’s sort of hard to find outside of Canada, but it’s definitely worth it.

On a side note, I also killed off one of my main characters in WWI. It feels kinda cheated when you don’t kill off people in a war story.

My main character’s sister is the one who grows and develops the most in the story arc, so much so that she verges on sort of overtaking the ‘protagonist’ role (I know there’s a TVTropes page for it but I don’t dare look). At the moment, she’s probably going to die near the end in a totally unnecessary shootout in a successful attempt at stalling the enemy.

I kill off characters, but I try to kill of the ones that are least expected to die. For instance, one of my plot archs has been building up to a duel between a one character who’s been wronged by another. The “good guy” (for lack of a better word) looses.

I generally kill off at least one character per short story (I’ve been doing this since I started writing, pretty much). I have sort of made it my goal to write the perfect tragedy (though I’m not quite sure how I’m going to go about it), and, dammit, I’m going to keep trying until I get it right!

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

I think one of the best examples—and, for me, inspirations—of well-done unexpected character death is the show Lost. People die on that show pretty frequently, and many of them have been unexpected. A few examples….

And yes, Nate, I know there’s a TV Tropes page for it—I even know what it’s called—but I’m not linking to it. Know why? Because I’m a good person, that’s why! :P

My favorite character deaths are in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, since they are probably the only death scenes I’ve watched that can make me tear up with consistency.

Zhora’s death in Blade Runner was an exceptionally well-done scene, even if she wasn’t really much of a character.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Eliie’s death in Up was one of the most moving I’ve ever seen. And the rest of the movie is about how Carl deals with her passing, so the effects of it were extremely well-done as well.

...Ellie?

Sniffle

That was a very well done death. I agree, the deaths in Anne of Green Gables were well done too. Spoiler:

LM Montgomery really did have a good hand for dealing with death. I think death is dealt with well in Harry Potter too. Not so much in Star Wars. No one important ever dies, just the cool ones. I for one could have seen Jar Jar get canned, if we could keep Mace Windu a bit longer.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Zhora’s death in Blade Runner was an exceptionally well-done scene, even if she wasn’t really much of a character.

Everything in Blade Runner is well done, Dan.

Yes, but this is the Death thread.

Ha, hard to argue with that, arksa. ;P

@lookingforme

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

I have a ton of deaths in my current story. They mainly tend to be members of the protagonist's extended family.

I have a few deaths in mine. Deaths are fun to write. That sounds bad…

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I’m planning to kill off at least one main character in my NaNo this year. I’m debating how far towards the end of the novel to put it. It’s a fantasy RPG satire, so it would be fitting for him to die fighting the final boss, but if I kill him off earlier, I’ll have time to really make the impact of his death felt. I’m also undecided on whether to kill off my second major antagonist. I have to get rid of him somehow, but I don’t want the heroes to kill the bad guy then forget about him and move on. That’s a silly RPG trope.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I killed a baby in my current WIP. Or rather, there was a miscarriage… her name was going to be Sophie :(

I’m not really killing anybody off in my WIP, mostly since it’s at a Hughesesque school setting and doing that would turn it into bloody Degrassi.