Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Actually it was called that since 1852 , but that doesn’t really modify your point.

Hmm….so it was. Good catch.

My non-British-ness is showing, I take it.

EDIT: And Penguin, since you were the one who provided those links from last page, I feel I should give you credit. Thanks

Double edit to contribute to the topic: Da Vinci Code has got to be one of the most overrated books I’ve ever read. I didn’t get around to that until after the hype from both book and movie had died down, and the plot didn’t seem amazing (fun, though) nor did any of the “controversial” religious elements really seem like a big deal. Also, I remember there being prose problems that nearly killed any enjoyment I got from it.

Also, going to have to say I felt 1984 was overrated. It was good, yeah, but I never really felt it got better as it went on. It seemed like I had the same sense of dystopian creepiness on page 200 that I had back at page 1: things never seemed to escalate.

I know it really exists, and didn’t mean to imply that she just made it up or something. I just think it was a pretty ingenious chapter all around, between the allegory and the train station motif in general.

See, Deathly Hallows had Christian overtones that I didn’t really mind, even if they were obvious for the most part. On the other hand, I find the same ideas in Narnia to be extremely irritating, especially in the later books, because Lewis really anvil dropped it on your head. At least, that’s how I always felt about Narnia.

So I do find the Narnia books after book 3 to be overrated.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

Wait, how do you count the Narnia books – by publication date or the order they take place in?

Wait, how do you count the Narnia books – by publication date or the order they take place in?

I count publication.

And I’m sorry, but book 4 ( The Silver Chair ) is pure awesomeness.

•  
      CommentAuthorDelzra

I hated reading A River Runs Through It.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is awesomest. :P

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010 edited

Silver Chair was very, very awesome, Nate. So was Dawn Treader, Puppet.

But the fanfiction for Narnia will destroy your brain forever >.<

But the fanfiction for Narnia will destroy your brain forever >.<

What is this you speak of? I know not what you mean.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Narnia fanfiction. Oh dear deities no. I assume most of it is movie-based?

Would I be correct in assuming that a good amount of them are written by PeterxSusan or LucyxEdmund shippers?

I remember reading a JadisXAslan fic once. It’s just as wrong as it sounds. And what’s worse was that it wasn’t written by some awful writer with no clue what he was getting into. Instead, it was Neil Gaiman.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Instead, it was Neil Gaiman.

Well Marquis… I must thank you for giving me a concrete reason to hate him now.

He’s definitely off my reading list now.

Neil Gaiman did what???

I can’t decide what’s more horrifying, Jadis/Aslan or Jadis/Edmund. Ewwwww.

To be fair, the fic wasn’t completely focused on that. The main plot actually involved what happened to Susan after The Last Battle.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

My childhood has just been completely and utterly shattered.

Well Marquis, I was going to let Gaiman live…

But he is a supporter of pandas. Would you kill one that enjoys the company of pandas?

And really, it isn’t that bad compared to what Alan Moore did to Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Wizard of Oz.

My revenge is clear. I must train a panda to eat neil gaiman.

The movies released based on Alan Moore’s work are torture enough for him.

Instead, it was Neil Gaiman

WHAT? DAMN, I liked Neil Gaiman. WHY must he destroy my childhood, WHY?

And where may I find this work?

It’s in a collection of short stories called Fragile Things. And to compensate for the childhood-raping, it starts off with a Sherlock Holmes story set in the Cthulhu Mythos.

It’s in a collection of short stories called Fragile Things. And to compensate for the childhood-raping, it starts off with a Sherlock Holmes story set in the Cthulhu Mythos.

I’m afraid to read it. Should I attempt to read it? I don’t want to loose all respect for Gaiman.

Should I attempt to read it?

Yes.

I don’t want to loose all respect for Gaiman.

Quite the contrary.

B-but… I LIKED NEIL GAIMAN! I WAS READING AMERICAN GODS!
    all respect for Neil Gaiman almost flies out the window

According to some reports, he was involved with Scientology. (there is some debate whether he still is)

Neil Gaiman? Moar liek Neil GAYman, amirite?

/idiocy

It’s a wonder how Gaiman became a pariah on II just because I mentioned he did a Narnia fic. Maybe you guys should try and read the story before thinking “WHY GAIMAN?! WHY?!”

(there is some debate whether he still is)

Yeah, he hasn’t mentioned it at all in his blog.

• CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited

It’s not because he did a Narnia fic. It’s because he did a Jadis/Aslan fic. A Jadis/Aslan fic where:

It ends up culminating in a dream sequence where Aslan kills and eats all of the Pevensies. Then, he forces Susan’s decapitated head to watch as he and Jadis get it on

Ewwww.

WW said it. I don’t mind him writing a Narnia fic. I don’t even mind if he does make it Darker and Edgier, but Jadis/Aslan is too far for me. I mean, I like Gaiman. But that’s just weird. I’ll read it before I really judge it, but it sounds to me like it is very squicky…..

Well, here’s a part of it.

In the dream, the lion and the witch come down the hill together.
    She is standing on the battlefield, holding her sister’s hand. She looks up at the golden lion, and the burning amber of his eyes. “He’s not a tame lion, is he?” she whispers to her sister, and they shiver.
    The witch looks at them all, then she turns to the lion, and says, coldly, “I am satisfied with the terms of our agreement. You take the girls: for myself, I shall have the boys.”
    She understands what must have happened, and she runs, but the beast is upon her before she has covered a dozen paces.
    The lion eats all of her except her head, in her dream. He leaves the head, and one of her hands, just as a housecat leaves the parts of a mouse it has no desire for, for later, or as a gift.
    She wishes that he had eaten her head, then she would not have had to look. Dead eyelids cannot be closed, and she stares, unflinching, at the twisted thing her brothers have become. The great beast eats her little sister more slowly, and, it seems to her, with more relish and pleasure than it had eaten her; but then, her little sister had always been its favorite…

Hmm. The writing is good, obviously. I’m not quite sure what I think. I guess I’ll have to read it in context. I’ve just ordered it from the library.

Knowing the original work’s intended Christian allegory makes this a little unsettling, though, I must admit.

You know MdC, you could have put that in hidden text. Kind of like I’m doing so below.

So….. I’ve read the Story in question…..

I’m not sure how to react. Part of me wants to go: “SHUT THE HELL UP, NEIL!”

But….it’s not quite like what it seems. It was rather complex, actually. I’m not sure how to take it. I mean, I’ve grown up with Narnia. It was the first real books that were read to me. And even when I’d lost faith in almost everything, I always believed in Narnia. Even though it’s just a children’s story.

On that level, I want to smack Gaiman in the face. But….

I don’t know. I guess I’ll write a more collected post when I understand it better.

Gaiman Retina Burn initiate.

T-t-that was just horrible. On so many levels. I mean…I’d take the Carebear story over that. NOOOOOOOOO.

weeps

And I actually liked that story.

I think that if Narnia hadn’t been such a huge part of my childhood I would have liked it. I like Gaiman’s other work. I just…didn’t much like this. If had been left at the real life bit without the dream, it would have been good. But I think he went to far. (Jadis/Aslan = EW)

I don’t hate Gaiman, and what I’ve read of the rest of the book, I have enjoyed. It just that… Don’t Touch Narnia, or I Will Burn You.

Which is why I hate the movies.

Indeed. I don’t get why everyone else likes them; they completely abandon the books’ tone and style.

Also, blue water.

• CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

The first movie isn’t too bad. I love how they did Aslan, and Lucy was adorable. And Edmund was cute.

Prince Caspian was really very bad. They jacked up the story, changed Peter, made Susan a warrior (and in love with Caspian ewwww). And Edmund got even cuter.

Yeah, the Narnia movies kind of sucked.

Blue water.

Um, can’t water be blue sometimes, depending?

It was a river, and the water was dyed blue.

Why would anyone do that?

Beats me. But they did.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010

Maximum Ride.

Totally. The first few were okay, fun reads, then he went all “OH NOES I HAZ ACCLAIM. I MUST PUT IN OBVIOUS THEME AND CUT OUT ALL MINOR SWEARING FOR MY ‘YOUNG AUDIENCE’ AND BE A TOTAL SELL-OUT NOW I IZ MAKING MONEY.”

I’m getting Fang though, wen it comes out because I desperately want him to die. Like, no one here nows how often I’ve dreamed about brutally murdering him in all his Emo!Tall!Dark self and put poor Iggy on a pedestal for once in the goddamn books..

[/end stupid rant]

(sorry for jumping on the bandwagon late)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Uhhh, James Patterson had plenty of famous and money before Maximum Ride.

Doesn’t change that, in my opinion, his books aren’t fantastic anyway. But still. He be famous before.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Sorry, I forgot about the hundreds of old-lady fanclubs for his mystery novels. smacks self on head

• CommentAuthorDanielle

You know MdC, you could have put that in hidden text. Kind of like I’m doing so below.

Yes, please. I thought I’d puke all over my keyboard.

Anyways…..

....uhhh…...

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010

shudders

What’s the bird coming down with?! That’s just… shivers Yuck.

The excerpt I read that somebody provided in this thread…

ugh. No. Way. It’s like the lovechild of Coraline and A Streetcar Named Desire.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010

No One – let me put it this way…

• CommentAuthorNo One

You know, like city transportation. You won’t get them in the suburbs, but in urban places they’re quite common to the extent that some people don’t need cars at all.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I sometime get bus around here where I live (I live in surburbs) to the city sometimes…

I don’t care what you say; you just can’t race these:

Maybe not, but it sure would be fun to attempt before you died in a fiery explosion.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010

Heheheheheh yeah it’ll be fun, but I’d rather not die in a fiery explosion. I don’t wanna die this young, OK?

I hope you meant that you’d rather not die in a fiery explosion yet, because let’s face it, fiery explosions are the best way in which to die.

Go out with a bang and whatnot.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

Maybe you could try a very slow race?

I hope you meant that you’d rather not die in a fiery explosion yet, because let’s face it, fiery explosions are the best way in which to die.

Sansa, you ever seen the movie Secondhand Lions?

Admit it, that’s how you want to die. (in fact, I’ll save the 2nd seat in my plane for ya)

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

Nothing beats flying upside down through a barn as ways to go go. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited

For some reason ‘fatal head trauma caused by high-speed collision with cow butt’ doesn’t sound all that romantic.

Can I add “Oedipus Rex” to the list? Sure, it was good, but The Bacchae was so much better. Or, hell, even Agamemnon. But Swell-foot? Probably the only widely-studied Greek text at a high school level, and practically required reading for a lot of schools.

Swell-foot

Yeah, my teacher told us about that…made me snort-giggle inside. We read ‘Antigone’ instead. Have you read it, Taku?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010

Antigone is definitely better, but still not as good as, say, Iphegenia in Aulis.

(Yes, I’m a biased Euripidean, but justifiably so)

Well, ‘Antigone’ is the only Greek tragedy I’ve read thus far so I don’t have much to compare to.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010 edited

You definitely need to find The Bacchae (by Euripides), then. In my opinion it’s one of the best Greek trag—-

YO TAKU, I’MMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT AGAMEMNON WAS THE BEST GREEK TRAGEDY OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

o.O

I’d also recommend finding “The Three Frogs” by Aristophanes; a satirical imagined argument between Sophocles and Euripides as to who is the better playright. Really funny, when you know what’s going on (i.e. are familiar with each writers’ works and style)

So much to read!

Yeah. I don’t think I’ll ever catch up on my to-read list.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

Personally I think Jane Austen is overrated. I read nearly all of her books when I was twelve or thirteen. They were okay, 'Sense and Sensibility', and 'Northanger Abbey' were probably the best. 'Persuasion' was also fairly good. But I don't think they're the best stories in the English language. 'Pride and Prejudice' is especially overrated, and so is 'Emma'. And I couldn't get past chapter 12 in 'Mansfield Park' because I was tired of Fanny being a doormat. And it was so boring I didn't want to keep reading it to see if she got over it.
    Notably, I've never really wanted to reread any of these very much. I generally prefer stories where a little more happens besides tea parties and rich people talking. Even when other stuff happened it was mostly 'off-screen' They are rather nicely written, but I don't think they are the best love stories ever. I kind of agree with Charlotte Bronte's assessment of them as 'shrewd and observant, but without sentiment'.

Personally I think Jane Austen is overrated.

Awww, whyyyyy? Just kidding! But if I may say so, I think Jane Austen’s genius is her social satire and the way she’s able to reproduce the lives of 18th century women so faithfully. Plus, a lot of her characters are strong and independent without being anachronisms for their time, which I always appreciate, and some of the dialogue is just plain old funny…I personally think that she would have made a wonderful playwright. Watch the BBC “Pride and Prejudice” if you want—the dialogue is reproduced pretty faithfully, and I think it’s still humorous now :)

• CommentAuthorDeborah

They weren't bad books, I just liked other ones better. The funniest was probably Northanger Abbey, because it was a parody of Gothic novels. Anyway, I haven't read them in a while. (Though I remember liking Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility. And Elinor was fairly good too. That book started me on a classics binge that lasted two years.)
    So I guess I'll just say that Pride and Prejudice is overrated as the best of her books, when there are others by her that are better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Pride and Prejudice is truly a well-written novel, though, that’s pretty well undeniable. Done to the death and not her best novel? OK, I’ll concede that. :)

Emma‘s my favorite, actually, just because Emma’s such an idiot at the beginning (which is likely why a lot of people disliked it!)

I don’t like Jane Austen. I will concede that they are well-written (though the floweriness irritates me). I’ve only read Pride and Prejudice. I might just dislike them because I don’t like love stories that much. But my guess is that it’s the time period. I don’t find that time period interesting at all. Plus, I think the dominant writing style at this time probably just doesn’t appeal to me, or at least Austen’s doesn’t. I do respect her for being a woman writer when it wasn’t very common, though.

I generally prefer stories where a little more happens besides tea parties and rich people talking. Even when other stuff happened it was mostly ‘off-screen’

This as well.

I don’t find Austen that flowery. Of course, that’s in relation to writers like Dickens and Wilde.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010

Yes, I think the other main reason I'm not crazy about Austen is just that I'm not that into love stories, except Jane Eyre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Which is totally understandable, everyone has different tastes in books!

•  
      CommentAuthorpeppercake

Um has anyone heard of ‘Perfume’ by Patrick Suskind? I only ever got halfway through that book and that was even after reading a one paragraph sentence (and no I’m not making this up). The main character was the most thoroughly unlikeable character I’ve ever read and that was even before but then I gave up around the time he .

And then I had to do the absolutely stupid thing and skip to read the ending ... words had nothing to describe my horror

^^Wow

@ peppercake: I’ve heard of it, only because ‘Scentless Apprentice’ by Nirvana was written about it. I just thought it was more of Kurt Cobain’s weird lyric-writing but now it kind of makes sense…assuming I even heard the lyrics right.

@ peppercake: I couldn’t finish Perfume either. Blechh.

• CommentAuthorDamselfly
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

I watched the movie they made of Perfume. There was one review that really explained how I felt about it perfectly…something about how you wouldn’t enjoy the movie, it is not wholesome, but you have to finish it. “Unpleasant but fascinating” I think it was. I was over at a friend’s house, and her parents were watching it. We walked into the room…and ended up standing there for the next hour and a half, watching it. It was not pleasant to watch, but at the same time, I did end up watching the whole thing.

It was not pleasant to watch, but at the same time, I did end up watching the whole thing.

I hate when movies are like that.

EDIT:
    It has Alan Rickman. That makes it seem like it should be good. How deceptive.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I stopped at the third book because it seems as though any realisation that the character had in the end of the previous book is promptly forgotten in the next. Not to mention the glacial pace of the books. I stopped at around book 3/4.

You’re back! Yay!

On the reading front, I revisited Reading Like a Writer today. I am now more fully aware of my own incompetence and other authors’ brilliance. However, I am also inspired to be a better writer.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010

Oh me? Haha thanks! I have been lurking around though. Well my "A" Levels are coming real soon. But I am taking a teensy little break.

You should. :)

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

The Time Traveler’s Wife. It had a fantastic concept, but Niffenegger didn’t take it as far as she should have, in my opinion. Not so far it gets campy, but maybe actually use some of the forshadowing you did? Or have Clare and Henry do something other than have sex all the time?

I liked the movie better.

I liked the book better just because there were elements that I liked that weren’t in the movie. I really preferred the book ending too, even though it’s basically the same, but the book was more extreme with it.

Or have Clare and Henry do something other than have sex all the time?

I definitely agree with this. I did not need fairly detailed descriptions of them having sex every five minutes. Did not. Did not.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited

Movie. I do not want to read about Henry having sex with himself.

IIRC, he just has sex with Clare, not with himself. But I understand your objection to reading it.

They talked about him having sex with himself in the special features. Do not want.

Oh! I remember that part now! He was a teenager. It wasn’t detailed, I don’t think. Actually, it was two of his teenage selves. His dad walked in, and then he didn’t do it anymore. I didn’t think it was actual sex though, but I could be wrong.

That was one of the pointless things that got deleted from the movie. And for good reason.