Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009 edited

I thought it could be fun to talk about metaphors. Not necessarily how they work, but the best ones yoiu remember reading. What are some of your favourite metaphors in fiction? Alternatively, what are some of your least favourite?

Currently, my favourite metaphor is from War of the Worlds:

So you have the state of things on Friday night. In the centre, sticking into the skin of our old planet Earth like a poisoned dart, was this cylinder. But the poison was scarcely working yet. Around it was a patch of silent common, smouldering in places, and with a few dark, dimly seen objects lying in contorted attitudes here and there. Here and there was a burning bush or tree. Beyond was a fringe of excitement, and farther than that fringe the inflammation had not crept as yet… The fever of war that would presently clog vein and artery, deaden nerve and destroy brain, had still to develop.

I think this one’s particularly effective because it gives such a clear mental image of a disease or infection spreading out from its source and leaving the skin around it charred and dead.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009 edited

“Dead as a doornail,” by Dickens. It’s simple and vivid, and makes a whole lot of sense when you consider that Marley, consumed by the pursuit of wealth, was never truly alive.