Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

Yes! Till We Have Faces is awesome.

It is quite good, Lewis called it his favorite and I can’t blame him – but The Great Divorce is always my favorite Lewis of all time.

My favourite Lewis happens to be The Screwtape Letters.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010

Oh that is so funny! The Great Divorce is good too.

The Great Divorce was very good, very thought-provoking. Anybody read The Pilgrim’s Regress?

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010

I have. It was very good.
    • CommentAuthorDanielle

Am I the only one who read (and enjoyed) The Abolition of Man?

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I did! And I liked it a lot. It has one of my favorite Lewis quotes ever:
    "To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see"
    Anyone read the Space Trilogy?
    • CommentAuthorDanielle

I read part of the first book, but then I got….distracted….

Some more Lewis quotes:

“The problem with trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you most often succeed.”

“A man who is eating or lying with his wife or preparing to go to sleep in humility, thankfulness and temperance, is, by Christian standards, in an infinitely higher state than one who is listening to Bach or reading Plato in a state of pride.”

“An explanation of cause is not a justification of reason.”

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I especially like that last one. From The Four Loves. Great book.

Am I the only one who read (and enjoyed) The Abolition of Man?

One of the few of his works I had to read multiple times before I “got”. Reading the last of the space trilogy (that Hideous Strength) along with or before reading tAoM helps a lot.

The Great Divorce was very good, very thought-provoking. Anybody read The Pilgrim’s Regress?

I have but I’ve been wanting to reread it since I’ve read his autobiography and his biography. Plus, I think it improves a lot the older you get and the more life experience you have.

Actually… it’s a shorter list of which Lewis books I HAVEN’T read. (he takes up 2 shelves of mine)
    Now you want to go hardcore, start reading George MacDonald. Lewis’ mentor and the grandfather of fantasy. Gotten through 2 books so far. Downloaded several more but haven’t gotten around to them yet.

And here you people go: Daily Lewis quotes.

Plus, I think it improves a lot the older you get and the more life experience you have.

Ditto for like every single Lewis book out there.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited

I haven't read Perelandra actually, I've been meaning too, but I just haven't got around to it.

And in other news, anyone seen The Book of Eli?

And in other news, anyone seen The Book of Eli?

Saw it 2 or 3 times in theaters, have it on DVD.

Oh, I only saw it once in theater :D
    • CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010

I want to see it so bad!

So do I.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited

Just so you know it's pretty raw

Spoiler:

That… changes my opinion of it somewhat…

Well it’s a post-apocalyptic world, so it shows how rough things can be without civilization. In some ways, it shows how much better Eli is compared to the greater darkness about.

Some here might appreciate this VERY indepth analysis of the Narnia movies. (if you want a lighter read, just visit my blog)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010 edited

That looks very interesting. Reading now!

EDIT: Having read through it, I did find it interesting. I think it’s got a good point, especially about the portrayal of Peter in the books as opposed to the movies. In the books, the four are consistently portrayed as being, well, noble. Of course they all have their weak moments (Edmund starts off as a brat, Susan falls away later in life, etc.), but for the most part, they don’t act like whiny children, they act like the Kings and Queens of Narnia. In the movies… yeah, they’re pretty much just whiny children. When I read the books as a kid, I always had this image of the Pevensies as being wonderful people, and when they’re acting in kingly/queenly/whateverly manners, I really got a sense that they were something special, something to be admired and aspired to. In the movies, I didn’t get that feeling at all.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010

I see what you mean. I could not STAND Peter in Prince Caspian.
    About missing Narnia, it seems to be that in the books, they missed Narnia because they loved it, sort of the way you miss your home when you’re away. But in the movies, it just seemed like they missed being powerful and bossing people around.

I’ve only seen the first movie. Sounds like they totally destroyed Peter in Prince Caspian.

That whole article is very, very interesting. Especially the part that says that Hollywood suggests that the only thing that changes Peter is being King, rather than Narnia and Aslan—and then in a bad way.

It’s a shame that they’ve changed the movies, and probably so much so that now CS Lewis will get even more of a rap for being preachy.

As a side note, do you think it’s still possible to put Christian values into a story without being labeled ‘preachy’?

As a side note, do you think it’s still possible to put Christian values into a story without being labeled ‘preachy’?

Obviously. How many people call HP preachy?

Hmm, good point. I would say there are some Christian values in HP, but, well, the fact that Harry and his friends are constantly lying and attempting to cheat and sneaking around kinda undermines that a little.

I’ve only read up to book five, so I don’t really know what the whole outcome of the series is and can’t comment on it as a whole. Please don’t spoil it for me.

Without giving any specifics, there’s more later on.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010

Absolutely. Admittedly, a lot of modern Christian authors either aren’t good at sneaking their values into stories and leaving preachiness out or they just don’t care; I also admit that I like some of those books. Lynn Austen, for one. Her books are good, as are the stories, but a common criticism of them is that “the story sometimes gets lost in the message.” She’ll have characters come together and talk about how they were wrong, God was right, and name all the things they learned—or a wise old character will tell the younger character what she (and, by extension, the reader) should learn from the story. However, her stories are still enjoyable, and I enjoy them.

Francine Rivers, on the other hand, has books with strong moral cores and messages, but I wouldn’t call them preachy. Leota’s Garden, for example, is about reconciliation, how we treat the elderly, wisdom of the elderly, and using your gifts. But it’s all wrapped up in a great story about an overbearing mother, her artistic daughter, a grandmother who desperately wants her daughter to understand her choices, and a young man who gets caught up in their stories. Every lesson is demonstrated implicitly (through the characters’ actions) rather than explicitly (through the characters’ outer or inner monologues). I like that much better than having a character tell you what you’re supposed to take away from their story.

It all depends on how the message is presented. Is it spoken, or demonstrated?

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010 edited

Danielle, I’m glad to hear that about Rivers, because I just found a volume of Leota’s Garden and another story at the library book sale and I bought if for my mom for Christmas. I was pretty sure that she’d been mentioned positively on this thread, but I couldn’t remember when I bought it. Now I am relieved :)

And I’d definitely say the difference is in the spoken vs. demonstration. As you say, most current fiction labeled “Christian” seems to be specifically evangelical. As though a story built on the foundations of faith is less Christian, if it doesn’t lay out the theme explicitly. Has Flannery O’Connor been brought up yet (forgive me, I can’t remember). I remember being surprised (you know, before I knew how to read literature) when I heard she was Catholic.

Edit: I’ve finished the article, and I’m so glad that I stopped watching the Narnia films after the first one, and it sounds like Prince Caspian was pretty awful. I just didn’t have any interest. And then I saw the trailer for the newest one too often, and that part where Lucy opens the magic book or whatever it’s supposed to be, and exclaims “I’m so beautiful!” when she sees her future self. It drives me mad. Gee, lucky you.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh, Francine Rivers. I haven’t read all of her books, but I’ve read a few, and they were very enjoyable. I mostly have given up on Christian fiction because it’s all mushy historical romance, but her books are actually well-written and seem to balance the story and the message nicely, even if they’re historical and also have romance in them.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

I mostly have given up on Christian fiction because it’s all mushy historical romance.

As have I. sigh It’s all Janette Oake and Karen Kingsbury and all of their wannbes. Even Christian thrillers are getting preachier. Ted Dekker was one of my favorite authors for a long time, and I still like some of his older works. Blink, Three and the Circle Trilogy are all excellent. But after writing Saint, I think he realized how much easier it is to simply have the characters say what the message is than to demonstrate it, and how much simpler it can be to make your villains Evil Ultra-Liberal Pro-Muslim Anti-Christian Cardboard Cutouts than to actually make them three-dimensional people. Which is why I stopped reading Sinner two-thirds of the way through.

Oh well. I still have his earlier books to enjoy. And Francine Rivers is still producing quality work, and I have her latest to read over the break.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010

Obviously. How many people call HP preachy?

I think you’re safe so long as you avoid making your story about specific doctrines. Harry Potter is stuffed with christian themes (e.g. “love conquers death”), but skirts doctrine entirely.

I’m curious what most people here would agree a work has to have in order to be called “Christan Fiction”. Is it enough to just include broadly christian themes, or does the story need to bring in specific christian doctrines?

I think a book being “Christian fiction” and just having Christian themes or values are different. All I can think of is Narnia is Christian fiction, even though I didn’t know until I read it somewhere that it was, and Harry Potter had Christian themes and values.

Most Christian fiction is terrible, and I try to avoid it, but I like books with Christian themes. I did like the first two Narnia books. The third one bored me so much that I lost interest in it. I also liked THR3E, but I didn’t know that was Christian either when I read it. I have read, and attempted to read, some horrible Christian books my grandma gave me that just pound the reader over the head with “this is a Christian book.”

I’m reading Screwtape Letters right now, and I love it. My church was doing a 4-week class on it but I missed ever single week. Grr.

Anyway, it’s an author tract, of course, but I don’t mind. I love it. Honestly, I don’t mind author tracts as long as I know what I’m signing up for. Author tracts really only irritate me when I pick up a book, (oh, say Eldest) and I expect a fun little YA fantasy and I get random atheistic preachings (AKA dwarves are stupid so they believe in God and elves are good-looking so they are atheist.) Especially with YA books, that really rankles with me.

But I’m sure that’s all been ranted on before.

^My mom is always reading those Amish Christian books. And I don’t know what to do about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011

I was in a Christian bookstore the other day and it had a decent selection of Bibles, commentaries, the usual nonfiction stuff, and even some decent-looking kids’ fiction (Chronicles of Narnia and so on), but in fiction for adults, it was pretty much just Amish, Lori Wick, and historical romance, none of which interests me in the slightest. Not even a single Francine Rivers, Terri Blackstock, Ted Dekker, or Frank Peretti book! There were a couple of Dee Henderson books, but only ones I’d read before, so that was no use.

Seriously, there’s decent Christian fiction out there, it’s just impossible to find in many stores…

Anyway, it’s an author tract, of course, but I don’t mind. I love it. Honestly, I don’t mind author tracts as long as I know what I’m signing up for. Author tracts really only irritate me when I pick up a book, (oh, say Eldest) and I expect a fun little YA fantasy and I get random atheistic preachings (AKA dwarves are stupid so they believe in God and elves are good-looking so they are atheist.) Especially with YA books, that really rankles with me.

The Screwtape letters also work by being well written, mentally engaging and more entertaining than most author tracts. At some point I want to scream, “look, just write an essay book or whatever or write fiction, don’t try to do both and half-@$$ it”. If you’re going to cloak your tract in fictional trappings (like Screwtape letters), then work hard to make those trappings look as darn good as possible. (yes I’m glaring at you left behind series…. oh am I glaring at you)

I’m curious what most people here would agree a work has to have in order to be called “Christan Fiction”. Is it enough to just include broadly christian themes, or does the story need to bring in specific christian doctrines?

You mean officially or just personally? I say there’s two very clear standards: overt and covert christian works. Nowadays, it seems most Christian stores only stock the overt works, things of subtlety can only get in there if they’re written by someone who has a popular overt work or two also stocked (see: Lewis).

Personally? Well… that starts getting complex doesn’t it? Myself, I’m of the thinking that God is one of Truth, so anything that is true is from him, therefore worth reading by Christians. It can be as simple and basic as a math textbook, to deeper more complex metaphysical truths.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011

Personally? Well… that starts getting complex doesn’t it? Myself, I’m of the thinking that God is one of Truth, so anything that is true is from him, therefore worth reading by Christians. It can be as simple and basic as a math textbook, to deeper more complex metaphysical truths.

If I had an internet, I would give it to you.

I think a lot of Christians (metaphorically speaking) barricade themselves behind reading material. They won’t read anything by a non-Christian author because Christian authors are the only ones (according to them) who can write something they can agree with. Which is untrue on both fronts; to prove it, I submit to you The Shack and the Harry Potter books.

I don’t want to offend anyone, or get too narrowly theological, so I’ll just point out some of the broader mistakes I noticed in The Shack. The book is about a man who loses his daughter to a kidnapper who eventually kills her in a secluded shack. Years later, he receives a note from God, telling him to meet her (in The Shack, God is represented as a black woman) in the same shack where his daughter died.

One of the biggest flaws in the book (aside from the atrocious writing) is the heresy of universal salvation. In the Gospels, Jesus says “I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.” Short, sweet, and to the point. In The Shack, however, one character says that Jesus saved all humanity at the Cross. By his death, the author says, all men were brought to him. According to the Bible, however, a person is only saved when they repent of their sins and accept Christ as their Savior. It has to be a conscious choice.

Some Christians loved The Shack. Seeming to ignore the fallacies in it, they sent it straight to Number One on the NYT Bestsellers list for quite a few weeks. The only reason I can see is that it was marketed as a Christian book, so Christian readers assumed it was okay.

The Harry Potter books, on the other hand, were the subject of a lot of controversy from Christian groups. I remember, as a kid, hearing commentators on the radio talk about the supposed witchcraft in the books, reading editorials about kids who had gotten involved in Wicca because of the books, and listening to my parents talk about how horrible they were.

In the books, Harry learns the value of friendship and helping others. Harry befriends the friendless, stands up for the innocent, and performs rescue after heroic rescue, all while fighting Voldemort’s growing influence over the wizarding world. The last book of the series clearly sets it up as a Christian allegory, with Harry as the literary Christ figure and Voldemort as the representation of Satan.

As I’ve said before, Christians didn’t like Harry Potter. They still don’t. And I think that’s a shame. There is a lot of truth in the Harry Potter books—while The Shack has very little. However, it’s The Shack that is praised by Christians, simply because of how it was marketed and the package the fallacies are wrapped in.

I don’t really read fiction billed as ‘Christian’ but I nearly died from the irony when I found out that some people wanted to ban LotR because it’s ‘Satanist’. Covert Christianity is more covert than I thought, apparently…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011 edited

You have got to be joking… right, SWQ? Right? You’re joking, right?!

That’s just ridiculous! I have no idea how it could be considered “satanic” anyway, even if it wasn’t written by a Christian who wrote about Christian-y things and discussed Christianity with his Christian friend and Christian writer C. S. Lewis. Because it has magic? A basic reading of the book would imply heavily that no, there really isn’t magic in the sense of spells and magic rituals and whatnot. Because there’s wizards? They aren’t wizards, they’re angels, sort of. At the very least they’re agents of God. Because there’s godlike beings not named Elohim, Jehovah, or Adonai? The Valar are pretty much angels and Eru is incredibly obviously God. If you somehow miss all this, you should still not consider it Satanist because the two most Satan-like characters (Morgoth and Sauron) are—get this—EVIL and NEEDING TO BE DESTROYED. And I’d also like to point out that LotR, unlike many Christian books, does not trivialize the power of Satan—getting rid of Morgoth takes the intervention of all of the Valar, not just some strong-minded humans.

HOW CAN ANYONE MISS THE FACT THAT WHILE NOT A CHRISTIAN ALLEGORY, LOTR HAS VERY CLEAR AND OBVIOUS CHRISTIAN INFLUENCES AND THEMES?!

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Swenson, because I know you won’t believe me, here is one of the more SANE things I’ve read on Lewis is not a christian.

And by that I mean, I read more of it than most others before either laughing or crying too much to continue.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Was I the only one who wept single tears of laughter when I saw the poll options on the Avatar blog—“How will you protest the film?” My favorite: “I will buy a ticket but not watch the film.” Not kidding. I couldn’t make this up if I tried.

I laughed when I saw the headline “the future is transgender not straight” and wanted to ask “So how you getting around natural selection, then?”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

You just love setting me off, don’t you, Nate? :D

Anyway, I’ll put my RAGENESS for the ones from Danielle in hidden quotes so it won’t disrupt the rest of the page.

On the Avatar one:

On Christian rock:

And finally… the last one:

And now for the big one… Nate’s link.

So because Lewis can’t explain exactly which pastor he said the Sinner’s Prayer with, he can’t have been saved? Actually, having read his own words on the topic of his salvation in this article, I have to say his experience is extremely similar to what I experienced. You can’t describe it. There aren’t words. All you know is that one second, you didn’t believe, and the next… you just believed. And the part later, where he says ““Humanity is already ‘saved’ in principle. We individuals have to appropriate that salvation.”, that’s exactly what I believe. John 3:16’s “whosoever” and all that clearly shows that Christ died for everyone, even the people who don’t get saved. Anyone who denies this… well, I’d start wondering about their salvation! (But now I’m curious about the source of this. It sounds like this Trinity Foundation believes in predestination for everybody, something I don’t agree with. Are they by any chance connected to Calvinism?) And then the bit right after that, where he talks about different “formulas”—I think it’s clear he doesn’t mean different ways to get to heaven. He obviously means “different ways of presenting the gospel to people, and if you think there is only one way to discuss the gospel you’re wrong”.

And as for the rest… oh, what’s the point? I give up. It’s just retarded, though, with obvious misinterpretations of Lewis’ writing and annoying, unprofessional “sly jabs” at the man and his writing that have no place in what is supposedly a serious article discussing a serious topic. And, OK, so some of the things Lewis wrote that are quoted there I disagree with. But I think it’s entirely possible to be a Christian and also interpret the Bible differently from other people who are also Christians. Becoming a Christian does not make you instantly inerrant. You’re going to get things wrong sometimes, whether you’re C. S. Lewis himself or just swenson. I should think other evidence in Lewis’ life should make it clear that he was a Christian, even if his theology was off from others’.

You just love setting me off, don’t you, Nate? :D

Must… resist… obvious… joke…

Actually, girl, you wouldn’t believe some of the things I could link you to. And I don’t mean the obvious traumatizing stuff…

Becoming a Christian does not make you instantly inerrant. You’re going to get things wrong sometimes, whether you’re C. S. Lewis himself or just swenson

My favorite line of his, for all time, comes from the Great Divorce. Two friends of different denominations meant and one of them exclaims (approx, I don’t have it in front of me) “Don’t you get it? We were all wrong!”

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Christian rock:

Narnia:

HOW CAN ANYONE MISS THE FACT THAT WHILE NOT A CHRISTIAN ALLEGORY, LOTR HAS VERY CLEAR AND OBVIOUS CHRISTIAN INFLUENCES AND THEMES?!

...Well, I didn’t know that Narnia was Christian, even after reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Magician’s Nephew, and The Horse and His Boy. I either found out through TV, the internet, or someone told me. I didn’t know LotR was Christian either (I still haven’t read it). I don’t remember when I found out. I might have found out from this site.

This may just be because all the “Christian” fiction I have read (with few exceptions) was the beat-you-over-the-head kind. Maybe I just didn’t know that Christian books could not scream “this is a Christian book!!!” every other sentence. That’s why I didn’t like them. I need to read the rest of Narnia and LotR.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eh, all right, I'll concede that it isn't all that in-your-face. But in terms of Christian-like themes (sacrificing oneself for others and so on), they certainly have those.

The author of the blog said he/she liked Earth: Final Conflict because the aliens were androgynous. How, pray tell, do they procreate? (Don’t answer that; I really don’t want to know.)

Actually…. to E:FC’s credit (well, before it got stupid – I used to really like it), that was actually a MAJOR plot point and part of the aliens’ interest in humanity (in that, they were hoping we could help them fix that problem). The answer does get complicated, this show went on for several seasons after all.

So….. yeah, E:FC actually disproves the author’s own thesis itself.

I almost peed myself when they called Tumnus the “Greek sex god in disguise.” He’s not bad looking, for a faun, but he’s not that sexy….

Actually it just proves the Greeks had very low standards.

This may just be because all the “Christian” fiction I have read (with few exceptions) was the beat-you-over-the-head kind. Maybe I just didn’t know that Christian books could not scream “this is a Christian book!!!” every other sentence. That’s why I didn’t like them. I need to read the rest of Narnia and LotR.

I have “finding God in LotR” and highly recommend it. I think the biggest problem with people claiming LotR or Narnia are “pagan” is that nowadays, nobody really knows what paganism was. Once you start doing more research and realize just how fundamentally different worldviews and such are (though in a lot of ways, LotR is still pre-christian paganism), the Christian differences and themes become so obvious you wonder how you missed it.

But… there are entire essays and books devoted to this so I’ll make myself stop.

That’s why I didn’t like them.

Oh, I just realized that that sounded like I didn’t like LotR and Narnia. I liked the Narnia books that I read (except The Horse and His Boy), and I haven’t even started LotR.

“finding God in LotR”

Don’t they have one of those for HP too? Or it may have just been a series of internet articles.

Once you start doing more research and realize just how fundamentally different worldviews and such are

That might be something to look into. I always hate it when people shout “witchcraft” and “paganism” just because books are fantasy even when doing just a little research (which I never did before) shows that things like Narnia and LotR are Christian.

[deep breath]

Don’t they have one of those for HP too? Or it may have just been a series of internet articles.

There is a “finding god in harry potter” book as well, but it’s done by a different author from the LotR one. HOWEVER, said author has also put up a LOT of information (maybe as much or more as in the book) on his own website. Do a search for “hogwarts professor”. He also did a bunch of stuff on Twilight…

I think too much of the guy to go further. There’s a difference in style between the LotR and HP editions of these books and I prefer the LotR author style myself, but the HP author is a good scholar nonetheless.

...must…stop…rambling…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I read one of those “HP is baaaad!” short little books/essays a while back, but it had one redeeming feature: while a great deal of it was all “HP is baaaaad!”, an awful lot of it was a spirited defense of Chronicles of Narnia and LotR as not bad. I don’t even remember what the guy had to say about Harry Potter, but I do remember he had a lot of complimentary things to say about Narnia and LotR, such as explaining why the use of wizards/magic in each does not make them pagan/evil/Satanic.

Actually, now that I think about it harder, I think his biggest problem with HP was the morality of the protagonists, although this is all just a very foggy memory on my part and possibly incorrect.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Morally, I’d say the biggest problem with HP was…well, yeah….the morality of the protagonists is a good way to put it. Harry gets away with skirting around and breaking a few rules, while Draco is punished much more harshly for doing the same thing. The only reason given is that Harry is the hero and has good reasons for breaking the rules he breaks, while Draco is Harry’s rival and obviously up to no good.

That, and the inclusion of a class called Divination. But I think the fifth-year Divination teacher (forget his name, but he was a centaur) taught it best: You can try to see the future, and you can become especially good at reading the signs. But sometimes, the future just isn’t yours to know. Sometimes, you can’t predict the future because the future is always changing. I think that was Rowling’s point in including that class—to show that we humans can’t know everything.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Hearing this makes me happy, because one thing that I’ve always found troubling about these debates over whether or not a book is “Christian” is that everyone seems to assume that being labeled “Non-christian” is somehow damning (no pun intended), as if there could never be any common truth between a Christan story and a non-Christian story. If you ask me, all worthy literature (christian or otherwise) resonates with some aspect of the human condition. The focus should be on the fundamental truth of a story, not finding parallels with specific christian doctrines.

So… does this book fall under here or what? I can’t decide if it’s horrid or awesome.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

Ugh. No.
    That is honestly the dumbest idea I have ever heard of.
    Ever.
    And I’ve heard some pretty dumb ideas.

Deborah, you’re going to temp me to pick up a copy just to see if it’s spork worthy…

...Well, at least it’s original... I guess?

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011

There is almost nothing original about vampires anymore. They have been done to death. Or should I say undeath?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I just read that book’s description.

...there are no words. Except possibly FAIL, in five hundred foot tall red flashing letters.

At least it’s not a twilight-esque story about a female sparkly vampire falling in love with Jesus and…

I suddenly feel very sick. Oh God, please forgive me.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Wow.

Just….wow.

Holy water, anyone? I brought extra.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Nate – O.O

That is all.

Yes, please, I need to be cleansed.

Bring whips too, I’m sure a good flogging is the least I deserve.
    (I hear in Hell that even Satan threw up.)

• CommentAuthorDanielle

I will not go to TVTropes, Nate. Three months clean and I’m NOT giving up now!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

No, you’re not the only one. I agree completely.

CURSE MY FRIEND FOR LINKING ME LAST NIGHT. I had planned to do some stuff on my computer and everything, but noooo, he just had to link me to that site, and there went my entire evening…

Yes my friends… fear me! For I have learned to wield TV Tropes AS A WEAPON!

I – of course – have taken the precaution to immunize myself first.

Bond’s lucky I don’t want to take over the world.

...Yet.

(and you’ve seen signs of just how twisted my mind can go)

• CommentAuthorDanielle

CURSE MY FRIEND FOR LINKING ME LAST NIGHT. I had planned to do some stuff on my computer and everything, but noooo, he just had to link me to that site, and there went my entire evening…

Resist the devil and he will flee from you. That’s in the Bible.

HA! Feel the power of Scripture, Nate!

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011

YOU WILL NOT TEMPT ME.

Deborah, truly you are…

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011

You’re finished, Luthor! You hear me? You shall not kill me with your Kryptonite!

Does anyone know if there will be a Sequel to the Book of Eli?

@Kilgore

I haven’t heard anything and in truth… I kind of hope there isn’t.

I do hope it teaches a lot of other Christian movies etc how to do things, though.

You’re finished, Luthor! You hear me? You shall not kill me with your Kryptonite!

Gasp! I always envisioned myself more like the Joker…

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

Gasp! I always envisioned myself more like the Joker…

Hurm. Well, I guess TVTropes IS kind of like the Joker’s laughing gas—you’re really happy, right up until it kills you.

Well, you’re off to Arkham, then! I SHALL NOT GIGGLE TO DEATH!!!!

Morally, I’d say the biggest problem with HP was…well, yeah….the morality of the protagonists is a good way to put it. Harry gets away with skirting around and breaking a few rules, while Draco is punished much more harshly for doing the same thing. The only reason given is that Harry is the hero and has good reasons for breaking the rules he breaks, while Draco is Harry’s rival and obviously up to no good.

THIS. This is why I’m so edgy about HP. Because sometimes it feels like JKR’s characters and plots are only paying lip service to honourable traits, and then doing the exact opposite of what they should be.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011

I never could read the later books with as much enjoyment (and didn’t read the last few at all), but I think the early books were better in that, being simple black/white stories instead of trying to be bigger & deeper than the world she tried to graft onto them. But obviously, I’m not all that educated on the subject, since I’ve mostly read about them after hearing what happened.

The only other reason I don’t like the early books is just because the writing style grates on me and Harry feels too much like a Sue. I’m a total snob, I know it.

Hey, HP is one of those things I don’t fault someone for not enjoying it.

However, as for “paying lip service to honourable traits, and then doing the exact opposite of what they should be” I’ve heard that HP follows in a certain British style of fiction. I haven’t looked up much on it, but supposedly that explains a lot about why some “minor crimes” are overlooked in the books.

^ That’s why I’ve always sympathized with Severus Snape so much. Aside from the obvious spoilerific stuff. Those kids were AWFUL to him. If kids treated me like that I’m sure I would be much more unpleasant than he was!

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011

@ SweetRunningBreeze: If a normal teacher pulled the kind of crap Snape does, they’d be out of a job fast- the way that he treats poor harmless Neville alone is pretty horrible. Even if a student is as hopeless as Neville, that doesn’t give you the right to verbally abuse him. I love his character but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s a jerk and not at all suited to be a teacher.

@ SweetRunningBreeze: If a normal teacher pulled the kind of crap Snape does, they’d be out of a job fast- the way that he treats poor harmless Neville alone is pretty horrible. Even if a student is as hopeless as Neville, that doesn’t give you the right to verbally abuse him. I love his character but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s a jerk and not at all suited to be a teacher.

Maybe British teachers get away with more than American teachers (read Lewis’ Surprised by Joy – he had a teacher that was even crueler than Snape).

But then I’ve long said we yanks could stand to toughen up in our schools a bit. Then again, I did go to school in the south where gutting and cleaning a fish was an elective. (I, of course, took Taxidermy 201 instead for my animal credit)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011

Maybe British teachers get away with more than American teachers

Also, wizards.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

If a normal teacher pulled the kind of crap Snape does, they’d be out of a job fast- the way that he treats poor harmless Neville alone is pretty horrible. Even if a student is as hopeless as Neville, that doesn’t give you the right to verbally abuse him. I love his character but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s a jerk and not at all suited to be a teacher.

Maybe it’s just the school I went to, but I didn’t think Snape’s behavior was that unusual. Harsher than I was used to in high school, but my high school was college prep and probably a lot tougher (discipline-wise) than most high schools. Like, my 11th grade AP History teacher told us straight out that he believed girls were inferior to boys, so he graded boys tougher than he did girls. When my 10th grade history teacher found out I was a Christian (he was an atheist) he began seeking out ways to fail me. One time, I was in a school play and was gone for his class for several days, so he changed the requirements for an assignment while I was gone. Since our group didn’t know the requirements had changed and the assignment was due the day we got back, we got a D. When I gave a presentation, he didn’t give me a time warning (like he did the other students) so I went over by two or three minutes and got a C. (Other students went over the time limit and, to my knowledge, weren’t penalized.)

This year, my sister (who’s in middle school) has a teacher who responds to students’ requests with open disdain, and openly favors some (read: the girls who are mean to my sister) and dislikes others (read: my sister). The principal doesn’t do anything about it because she has tenure.

So maybe it just depends on the school you go to.

^^ That place sounds horrible. Those people shouldn’t be teachers at any kind if school.

But Snape also hits them in heads with books, doesn’t he? I think in the movie he did once.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

^^ That place sounds horrible. Those people shouldn’t be teachers at any kind if school.

The only teacher I really regret having was my 10th grade history teacher. He was a jerk. But my 11th grade history teacher was really good. He gave us a fair look at American history, and I learned more in his class than I’ve learned in almost any other. Of course, he was also crazy. After the AP exam, we had about a month of nothing—since all of our AP stuff was done, there was no more material to cover—and instead of letting us talk or watch movies or whatever, he made us do study hour. Reading or homework, no talking, no iPods, nothing but study. I’m not trying to excuse his behavior; I’m just saying I learned a lot.

But Snape also hits them in heads with books, doesn’t he? I think in the movie he did once.

Ummm….I haven’t read the books in a while, but I don’t remember that happening in the books. With Snape, it was more just psychological torture—belittling, humiliating, making an example of what he considered “problem” students…that sort of thing. Which is kind of what my AP history teacher did. We often joked (sort of) that if one of us transferred out of his class into regular US history, he’d show up on our front porch with a chainsaw, demanding why we transferred. I can’t decide if it was because he wanted us to learn, or because he resented the fact we could escape his class at any moment.

Harsher than I was used to in high school, but my high school was college prep and probably a lot tougher (discipline-wise) than most high schools.

There’s a difference between equal-opportunity strictness and discrimination against certain students. I’ve also encountered teachers who specifically don’t like a few students and demonstrate it quite obviously. It really makes me feel uncomfortable and lowers my respect for the teacher a lot. I’ve also come across other teachers who are rather sarcastic and harsh in their grading and policies, etc. but they apply this to everyone and don’t make exceptions or favors- which is perfectly fair and acceptable.

My point- there’s a difference between strictness and injustice.

Just a note to say that any time anybody wants to get back on topic, feel free.

Not that I’m trying to say you need to stop this conversation. It’s interesting.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011

There’s a difference between equal-opportunity strictness and discrimination against certain students. I’ve also encountered teachers who specifically don’t like a few students and demonstrate it quite obviously. It really makes me feel uncomfortable and lowers my respect for the teacher a lot. I’ve also come across other teachers who are rather sarcastic and harsh in their grading and policies, etc. but they apply this to everyone and don’t make exceptions or favors- which is perfectly fair and acceptable.

I agree. That’s why I forgave my AP US History teacher his sarcasm and general instability—because he was rude to everyone, not just me. It’s also why I still dislike my 10th grade History teacher—because he singled me out for no reason other than my faith.

As far as Snape goes, I think he crosses the line at several points. If I were in his class, I might complain to the Headmaster about his behavior, because there’s a fine line between being a good teacher with a somewhat fractured psyche and a few psychotic tendencies and openly, harshly discriminating on the basis of faith, gender, race, etc.

Or, in Snape’s case, Hogwarts Houses.

Or, in Snape’s case, Hogwarts Houses.

And who your daddy happens to be.

I'm doing a Warhammer 40K redux. In which there's hope and sometimes peace and man worships the I Am.

Yes, I know. Don't worry about how Christian your writing is, just try to be a good Christian and that will reflect. But the thing is the redux is already pretty overtly Christian (In an allegorical way, but you get my meaning). Should I just go all out say that Man worships God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost or stick with the allegorical version?

Kilgore, my answer is always the same: What is True to the story? For instance, in one of my WIP, there is no religion (or very nearly none) in one world because of some inadvertent mistakes made in the past. It’s not even that I have something against religion, I just realized that – from the world rules I had established – there would logically be none at the current point.

In other news, here’s a post some should enjoy (I didn’t get this link from here, right?)

Do you mean, what works with the best with the setting?

Because both would work fine.

Not just the setting, but the cultures, the characters. Heck, if you can’t decide, split up everything between characters. Make one overt, one subtle, etc etc. Use your imagination. ;-)

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks! :D

Christian music? Please create a new thread.

Kilgore, my answer is always the same: What is True to the story? For instance, in one of my WIP, there is no religion (or very nearly none) in one world because of some inadvertent mistakes made in the past. It’s not even that I have something against religion, I just realized that – from the world rules I had established – there would logically be none at the current point.

I always personally thought you had to have religion in there to fill some sort of ‘see, I am a Christian’ quota. Only with that post do I realise that there have to be other ways to do this. It just feels like—what do you put there instead? Do we make gods out of men to fill this gap? Are we perpetuating the myth that the world is just fine without a God?

I always personally thought you had to have religion in there to fill some sort of ‘see, I am Christian’ quota.

I never thought that until I this thread was started. Then I started to worry that I wasn’t being Christian enough or something because I didn’t put that stuff in my writing. I tried adding some, but it was unnatural, so I took it out. I have now decided that I don’t have to add it if it doesn’t fit the story. Most of the books I like aren’t “Christian books.” Some have Christian themes; some don’t. I don’t think being Christian means I can only write certain types of stories. I’ll probably have at least one book/story that will have all the Christian stuff in it, and it will work, but I don’t think everything I write has to be like that.

Are we perpetuating the myth that the world is just fine without a God?

In my opinion, no. Just because there is no religion in a story, doesn’t mean the writer is saying there is no God, and that’s just fine, it just means they don’t happen to have religion at the moment. They should have believed in the past, but something went wrong, or they could believe again in the future.

My WIP doesn’t have religion either (I tried to add a little, but it was going to be difficult to explain how they had it; I might add some in revisions). The people are treated like animals for the most part, so I could see it not really developing among them.

As I recall Arska posted paraphrase of a Lewis quote on this thread.

It was to the effect of 'Don't worry about how Christian your writing is, just try to be a good Christian and that will reflect.'