Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009

When is it appropriate to use Mary Sue/Gary Stue characters? I notice in a lot of children’s books that the characters are most often Mary Sues, but can they be used in other age/genres/types of books? And can Mary Sue characters be used correctly? We should also discuss what defines a Mary Sue character.

I don’t think Sues/Stus are ever appropriate, and here’s why, in a nutshell.

What I consider to be the primary Sue factor is the character’s perceptions always, or almost always, being in line with reality. They’re almost never wrong about anything outside of the most base of plot contrivances, and even on those rare occasions, all the secondary characters fall all over themselves trying to justify the Sue’s mistakes.

So I don’t really think that kind of character has any place in a serious story, since they have no room to grow when they’re right about everything.

Anyway, I’m interested in discussing some of the common secondary Sue traits and what people think of them, because I’ll admit to using some myself.

By common secondary traits do you mean things like: – attractive (men and women) – ‘edgy’ (men) – sweet-natured (women) – fiery and rebellious princess (women- this is the one I’m guilty of. blush) – easily picks things up (men and women) – skilled fighter (more often men, but sometimes women too)

I can’t think of anymore right now, which is pathetic. Chemistry has burned me out.

Things like unnaturally fast learning, unusual eye/hair color, of course fiery/rebellious princess syndrome(mine is a subversion, I swear), spirit bonding, secretly the child of heroes…

And other things like talking animal pets, was raped or has dead parents but is still purer than the driven snow anyway, is part-human, is heir to some kind of prophecy, and I dunno, that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

How did I forget The Chosen One? Scion of Heroes? Talking Animal Minions? Little Orphan Annie? (These are not actual tropes from the all powerful TVTropes, by the way, so don’t try to look them up.)

Wow, I am rusty.

Anyway, I’m trying extra hard to make sure that my ‘rebellious’ princess doesn’t turn out a Sue. When she’s selfish or hypocritical or judgemental, which happens often enough, she will be called out on it and burned hard.

Can we define what a Sue is? If I remember, a sue is a self-insert. Technically.

I think of a Mary Sue to be a character that has few or no flaws. They aren’t interesting, and their point of view seems to be (to take Sansa’s words) too linear. To sum it all up, a truly one-dimensional character.

If I remember, a sue is a self-insert.

I don’t think that’s always the case. A lot of self-inserts turn out to be Sues because the author is trying to show how awesome they are by writing an idealized version of themselves.

I think some Sues have flaws, but the are not percieved as flaws in the story’s universe. The reader can tell that they are flaws, but the author didn’t intentionally give them flaws, so they are still “perfect” within their own universe (i.e. Bella, Eragon).

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

I've got a potential sue who gets her ass killed while being all rebellious and fiery and such. The more sensible characters hid in trenches.

My protagonist’s parents aren’t dead, but she was taken away from them at a young age. I think she has flaws. She’s not really good at much.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

I think some Sues have flaws, but the are not percieved as flaws in the story’s universe. The reader can tell that they are flaws, but the author didn’t intentionally give them flaws, so they are still “perfect” within their own universe (i.e. Bella, Eragon).

Yeah, the flaws Mary Sues generally have are not really real flaws and/or there’s always somebody/something that cures that flaw.

Might be unnecessary, but a word of warning to some of y’all: Don’t just start superimposing flaws onto characters to avoid Sueishness. If you ever start thinking of it as some kind of equation where virtues minus vices equals good character, you’re doing it wrong. Authors shouldn’t give characters flaws for the sake of having flaws, but I digress.

Not directed at anybody in particular, but just saying. I just tend to think characters are better thought of in terms of value-neutral traits, which are helpful or harmful depending upon the situation.

At any rate, Sues don’t have any flaws because the whole purpose of a Sue is to be awesome and cool and not look bad. That’s why most of them come with satellite characters giving the Sue’s actions constant justification from the peanut gallery, so we readers know they aren’t really wrong.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

Mary Sues are characters that appear to be the center of their fictional universe. This usually manifests itself in improbable skills, satellite characters, and a tendency for the world to prove the character right.

Mary Sues appear most in children’s stories because they make the story simple and safe. You know who you’re supposed to root for, and more importantly, you know who’s going to win in the end. Mary Sues remove tension from stories, and the make it clear that there is an author up there pulling the strings for the benefit of the main characters. To a mature reader, this is boring, but to a child, the effect can be rather comforting.