Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009

I started reading this series not too long ago. I am currently at the third book. How did you guys find this series? I find it rather long-winded at times really. It can be rather interesting (I quite like the Aes Sedai portions) but there is just something... is it filler? Because I find myself skipping sections sometimes. And this series is like 15 books long...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

I persnally never got bored during the series. I read all eleven of the books straight through in about two or three months, and loved each of them. I did often wish that the books would get on with it when they covered about two weeks of activity, and I was anxious to find out about something that would happen in months. But I enjoyed them troughout the time I read them.

I should reread them sometime soon.

I read them all a few summers back. I enjoyed them then, but don’t know if I would enjoy them now. It had some cool characters, but the women often had interchangeable mannerisms. The pacing was pretty sub-glacial in retrospect, but I didn’t mind it that much at the time. I also tended to outright skip over a lot of the description, which is one major gripe people have have with it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Now that you mention it, I did get annoyed at the mule-headedness of the men and the arrogance of the females, but I took it in stride and merely accepted it as amusing, because I really really liked the story.

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Oh yes, and the characters were prone to making stupid mistakes all the time. It did get rather infuriating at times. Reminded me of one of those Chinese soap operas on television.

But it is still quite interesting. If not predictable. Like I mentioned earlier, I enjoy reading the Aes Sedai portions the most. I don't mind Perrin. But I am not a great fan of Rand or Mat Cauthon. But it seems as though he really thought through his world before writing the series. I am considering building up my world first before starting on the actual story (though I do know the plot).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I liked Mat the most I think, I just found him so lovable.
    I have extremely high standards for great male characters, you can see.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

Oh yes! One big issue. Is it just me, or the author loves infodumping us about his world? I find some of his names awesome though. The forsaken names especially since they were inspired by all the...mythological stuff?

And I still remember that dream sequence which went on for...at least four pages (The First Book).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

I don’t mind the infodumping. I think I was just amazed at how complex and thought-out his world was. I was sort of caught up in it all.
    I like how it is hinted sometimes that the Wheel of Time world is a future of our world.
    I also thought it was interesting that it took place in the Third Age… the same age as the LotR. Hmm…

I thought his names were awesome as well, especially what seemed to be regional trends. It made it somewhat difficult to tell minor characters apart, but it was still neat to read someone’s name and be like, oh, they were clearly from Two Rivers(that was the name of the first town, right?)