Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

I’ve noticed that while we’ve talked quite a bit about Twilight lately, we haven’t talked so much about Eragon, that other book franchise we all love to hate here. I therefore decided to create a general Eragon thread to discuss all things pertaining to Eragon, the way the General Twilight thread is for talking about Twilight.

To start this thread off, has anyone heard any news about the fourth book in the Eragon series? I haven’t.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited

There isn’t any news about the fourth and hopefully final brick, because it’s all being kept hush-hush. However, shurtugal.com have had several interviews with him in the last few months, and reading through his responses to reader questions is hilarious. Especially when he obviously pulls an answer ouf of his ass when the question’s asked, rather than actually thinking about it.

For example, his response to a question about scrying and telepathy:

Scrying involves reproducing the light at one location at another. The information required to do this is conveyed via electromagnetic radiation (visible or not) from point A to point B. By scrying another place, what a magician is doing is, essentially, funneling a stream of photons encoded with the visual information from his target to his own location, then reproducing that visual information on some sort of reflective surface—or even in his own eyes, if he’s particularly skilled. Since photons weigh next to nothing, moving them across great distances requires only a negligible expenditure of energy, although it does get slightly harder to scry the farther away your target is. None of this happens consciously, of course, but that’s the basic mechanism underlying the spell.

2. Because scrying relies on electro-magnetic energy, a spellcaster in Alagaësia could scry a dark room and see what it contained, if they knew enough to convert infrared radiation into visible light. By extension, lead, or other similarly dense materials, can block attempts to scry through them, which is why certain caves in Alagaësia are impervious to scrying . . . at least when using normal methods. There are even more advanced techniques, which I won’t go into here.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Ew, he got science all over his magic system.
    That’s rarely a good idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited

Especially when his answers to so many other questions of magic are thoroughly unscientific.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Still, it’s better than “It’s magic, I don’t have to explain it.”

• CommentAuthorsimian

Who ... wants information like that? And really, why explain something based on a "real" phenomenon for which there is no explanation?

No, it really isn’t. Not bothering to explain magic means readers can just ignore it, but adding quasi-intellectual hobnobbery invites them to examine it, which just breaks suspension of disbelief.

Now that I’m fresh from watching the movie, all I can say is: What kind of IDIOT doesn’t figure out that Brom’s a dragon rider? Seriously! He knows how to make a freakin’ dragon saddle!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009

Plus all the stories about dragons…

And it became even clearer than before that dragons and humans have a totally unequal partnership. XP

Still, it’s better than “It’s magic, I don’t have to explain it.”

But that’s what magic is. One shouldn’t have to explain it; one has to explain sci-fi, but not magic.

Honestly, the thing i hate the most about Paolini is how magic/ancient language is NOTHING but a simplistic (and silly) plot device

Oh, you can only speak only the truth in the Ancient Language
    Oh, if you swear in the language your sworn and can’t do anything about it
    Oh, so you’re name can suddenly change and break free of the oath

The aforementioned devices have been used before, better and also made a lot more sense
    Paolini’s just using it as a convenient (and as i said silly and facepam-worthy) plot device

Also, its pretty amusing how paolini want moar and more of the two tales hes mashing together in his book
    Paolini: Weeeee, lets give Eragon an active LIGHTSABER!

And i don’t believe he changed his story from the course of Star Wars in any way by writing Brisingr
    All it did was… nothing (?)
    SPOILERS (feels awkard)

Also i don’t see the heart of hearts (or whatever they’re called) as anything new or unique
    They’re basically akin to Elf/Magical-esque stones which guide the hero, albeit in a different way
    Magic Stone: shines forth a beam of brilliant light to lead the hero
    HoH: You go that-away!!

/End possible rant
    i kinda enjoyed that!
    You could say my biggest problem with Paokini is with his lack of ANY originality (and also the aforementioned plot device usage he has no shame!!)

EDIT: Whoops… forgot a chunk of text >_<

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

dragons and humans have a totally unequal partnership

“I’m the rider, and I say we go!”
    Somehow worse than anything that actually appeared in the book.

Eragon: I’m the rider and I say we go!
    Saphira: But I’m roughly ten times larger than you and can bite you in half Liu-kang style….
    Eragon: If the rider dies, his dragon falls too! (I love the convenience)
    Saphira: In that case if you don’t listen to me I’ll eat your family and friends!

(Personally i feel bad for Saphira, she’s possibly the only character in the series I actually have any emotion for, she is after all, a big badass dragon!)

“I’m the rider, and I say we go!”
    Somehow worse than anything that actually appeared in the book.

Or, to quote the Rifftrax:
    “Yes, yell at the giant lizard that can bite your head off.”

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited

Wow. Epic Failsauce™ on the main site… I have no words.

What do you mean puppet?

Puppet, what in the world are you talking about?

Shurtugal’s mainsite?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Oh, well Sly deleted it… but there were two Eragon fans on ImpishIdea.com, who were rather dirty mouthed and trolling, but Failing spectacularly.

Was it on the “Accepting and Rejecting feedback article?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

No… It was on the Eragon Review, Brisingr Review, ect. Most of what they said were just eragon is awesome you guys fail and have no lives and you guys are immature…. + more $^(*& @$# $%gf%^ #*&^%. All of that except uncensored , in chatspeak and grammar ra*age.

We were left out. :(

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I saw it; the posters dropped every single foul word in the book. Including the n word and the c word. Multiple times. It was unpleasant.

Oh, well then I’m not so sad. I was at least hoping for some intelligent rivalry.
    :\

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited

If you really want to see, she posted again… But I wouldn’t recommend it…

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009

I saw it; the posters dropped every single foul word in the book. Including the n word and the c word. Multiple times. It was unpleasant.

Why would they use the n-word, of all words? Is anyone on this website from a group that the n-word has been traditionally applied to?

It doesn’t matter. I’m willing to bet that they were just throwing around an offensive term.

Why would they use the n-word, of all words? Is anyone on this website from a group that the n-word has been traditionally applied to?

ME

Oh yeah! I knew that, for some reason…isn’t someone on the site Indian (as in India)? I don’t know if I’m misremembering….

I think RandomX2 is Sikh(unless I’m mistaking him for somebody else) but I don’t know where he’s actually from.

That…is not who I was thinking of. I don’t know why, but for some reason I was thinking SWQ was Indian…?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009 edited

Okay, so it turns out that Paolini blatantly ripped of Tolkien’s runes. Every single rune. He just assigned a different sound to them.

(Courtesy of an Anti-Shurtugal commenter)

murders something small, furry and defenseless

Well I can’t say it comes as a shock… But what the hell?! Runes don’t take THAT much imagination, do they? Just doodle and you’ll get enough! Ugh.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

exactly! As I mentioned on AS, I spent more than a decade trying to develop and original, beautiful, functional script for my languages, I agonised over every pen-stroke and I bled all over every diacritical mark, and seeing Paolini get away with this is just depressing and disgusting.

aww nobody’s talking about my epic rant T_T

And @Willow… I’m Indian

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

RandomX2 is Sikh (unless I’m mistaking him for somebody else)

Heyyy, somebody remembers!

And your rant is beautiful, Lala. But no amount of beauty can overthrow II’s ability to go off topic.

Yeah, I’m ethnically Indian, but where did you guys get Canadian from? I think I’ve mentioned that I live in SoCal before…

Which is really pathetic if I was complaining about being cold.

facepalm

Oh, yeah, I must’ve mixed you up with somebody else. I don’t know why I thought that in retrospect.

Yes, it is pathetic. Wuss :P

On the other hand, we’re all wusses compared to the freaks from Minnesota. Woops, did I say freaks? I er, meant beloved leaders, manly men whom we adore!

>>

<<

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Do not insult the Azns. They will hunt you down. :D

They will hunt you down. :D

Indeed. loads shotgun

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That may not be a good idea.

We can’t use guns to hunt people? D:

On the other hand, we’re all wusses compared to the freaks from Minnesota. Woops, did I say freaks? I er, meant beloved leaders, manly men whom we adore!

I lived in MN for a few years, and visit every Christmas. Snow ain’t no thang compared to heat.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Snow ain’t no thang compared to heat.

This is true. Snow is fun, and in cold you should wrap up warmly, which is also fun, but heat is annoying and itchy and harder to solve.

^^Yeah, that’s pretty much the same with me.

This is true. Snow is fun, and in cold you should wrap up warmly, which is also fun, but heat is annoying and itchy and harder to solve.

Exactly. From my experience, cold climates interfere in your day-to-day life more(especially with transportation) but hot climates are more physically difficult/unpleasant.

Indeed. loads shotgun

Strings bow and arrow

Right back atcha.

EDIT:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Indeed. loads shotgun

Don’t make me stab you with a icicle. D:<

I got him first. Back off.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m….er… one-eighth Hispanic. Not that it matters. I’m about as average-American as they come.

Right back atcha.

Don’t make me stab you with a icicle. D:<

Go ahead… Make my day. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Har har. Don't mess with the Azns.

I’m as “Caucasian” as they come… 5/8 English, 1/8 Irish, 1/4 French.

5/8 English, 1/8 Irish, 1/4 French. 1/1 Irish

This is how Irish blood works as far as fractions go.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Woot, another Irishman! Woman! Except like, heck, only 1/8? I’m 1/2 1/1 Irish, 1/4 Scottish, 1/8 Swedish and 1/8 Hispanic. Typical melting pot. My brother figured out all the family tree stuff a couple of years ago, and I sort of like to brag about having ancestors who came from Scotland. D:

EDIT: True, sansafro. So true.

• CommentTimeNov 16th 2009

Hey, one of the presidents of Ireland was a (very) distant relative! Even same last name! So nyah :P

I’m 100/100 Indian.

Gee, that was easy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

So handy.

All of you people here should be ASHAMED!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Whatever.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

What movie is that from, Nate?

@SWQ
    Ah, a fellow country(wo)man!

And when do we propose to move back on topic?
    My rant needs spurious attention!!!!

Army of Darkness!

(if you haven’t seen it, go do so, NOW – it’s ok, they’ll let you out of school for it)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Is thinking I’m amused… they’re all attacking each other, even though I made the original comment! My work here is complete. Bwahahahaha.

*Stabs with icicle *

Lets move this discussion to Absolutely Random. :P

Puppet, I was thinking it. So no stabby for you :P

Also, where is Lala’s rant? I love rants, and would happily read it.

Here you are:

IT HAS BEEN DELETED. Yay! End of confusion. :D

(I hope you don’t mind LaLa. I was just trying to assist. :D)

EDIT: Whoops, i was copying it when RVL reposted it xD… ty for doing my work!

WOw, this is going to kill me

• CommentTimeNov 16th 2009 edited

Ummm…where is it???

Is confused

EDIT: Found it! Near the top of the page, yes? Very nice rant.

Hotly copied from me: (nevermind the extreme complication above XD)

Honestly, the thing i hate the most about Paolini is how magic/ancient language is NOTHING but a simplistic (and silly) plot device

Oh, you can only speak only the truth in the Ancient Language
    Oh, if you swear in the language your sworn and can’t do anything about it
    Oh, so you’re name can suddenly change and break free of the oath

The aforementioned devices have been used before, better and also made a lot more sense
    Paolini’s just using it as a convenient (and as i said silly and facepam-worthy) plot device

Also, its pretty amusing how paolini want moar and more of the two tales hes mashing together in his book

And i don’t believe he changed his story from the course of Star Wars in any way by writing Brisingr
    All it did was… nothing (?)
    SPOILERS (feels awkard)
    (show)

Also i don’t see the heart of hearts (or whatever they’re called) as anything new or unique
    They’re basically akin to Elf/Magical-esque stones which guide the hero, albeit in a different way
    Magic Stone: shines forth a beam of brilliant light to lead the hero
    HoH: You go that-away!!

/End possible rant
    i kinda enjoyed that!
    You could say my biggest problem with Paokini is with his lack of ANY originality (and also the aforementioned plot device usage he has no shame!!)

EDIT: Whoops… forgot a chunk of text >_<

NOOO! I JUST REDID IT! AKK, this is confuzzling…

ah, the beauty of everyone using a forum at the same time
    sigh

• CommentTimeNov 16th 2009 edited

Please delete extra rants? Is already above near top of page, yes?

Yipes, two extra walls of text xD

I fear to do anything now…
    (Yipes, the topic is going to go off-topic!! Save it lolcat!!)

I. Am. Deleting. Mine.
    Yay, all is solved. phew

Lala, please delete your extra one? I found your other post of the rant. Also, yay lolcat!

Alas, it is fixed, the cracks in the very dimensions of reality sealed shut!!

(For my rant (which oh,so demands attention): LOOK above the LOLCAT _)

But…but… your rant is still in this page in two separate places! Aiiiii!

Kill one, kill one, lest too much awesome rantage destroy the page :O

lol, I couldn’t even finish Brickingr. I got sooo boreedddd….snore

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Kill one, kill one, lest too much awesome rantage destroy the page

Kill one before they can breed!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Kill one before we are all overrun.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Can we move back on topic, instead of discussing the reproductive habits of rants? (besides, everyone knows they reproduce by budding)

lol, I couldn’t even finish Brickingr. I got sooo boreedddd….snore

I didn’t either, TBH. Granted, I tried to read it a year after subjecting myself to Eldest, but after about three chapters I asked myself what the point was. After concluding there was none, or at least none worth wasting so much of my time on, I took it back to the library.

It’s kind of funny to think how much I begged my parents to get me Eldest, only to read it and be bored out of my skull. There’s twenty bucks gone that I’ll never get back.

Yeah, sorry. You can only hope that twenty bucks ended up going to some needy person…

I think my feelings on eragon are well known.

Now someone had a rant?

Well on a fundamental level, tech and magic are both plot devices. But PaoPao does it poorly.

If his tale had been truly unique, that could have been a cute homage. As it is… just shows how little he thinks outside the box.

The only things that really happened in the book:
    1. Rhorin’s waif is rescued

Just like how Luke rescued his sister’s love at the beginning of RotJ?

2. Oromis dies (im pretty sure everyone knew he was doomed the moment he was introduced… )
    And possibly

Like Yoda at the beginning of RotJ?

3. The whole dwarf affair

Ummm…. don’t know enough about it to compare it to RotJ

Hm – Why does that have a certain RING to it? THE sounds OF it are so familiar. I hope those who got it right away don’t LORD their knowledge over me.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

Well, there’s another intelligent Inheritance fan on the main site, he posted this comment:

I lawled at the use of “fag” as a verb. I’m filing that one away for “you’re so gay” banter with my cousins come the holidays.

He thinks we’re all obnoxious Harley-Davidson bikers?

Why does that have a certain RING to it? THE sounds OF it are so familiar. I hope those who got it right away don’t LORD their knowledge over me.

snicker

@ Puppet – That was it? There wasn’t any, “I disagree with you heartily, sirrah” or anything? Just the stereotypical fare? D: or is it :D

I would reply but I don’t smoke so I don’t see what fags have to do with it.

@ Marquis: Darnit, I must have missed that one! I love cracking South Park references, so I’m kind of ashamed of myself. :(

hey, I am bike – curious and I find that offensive XD