Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So I’m beginning to think that instead of telling my story in a linear fashion, I should tell it in flashbacks. The problem is I’ve got a draft only half-completed.

My reasoning: the novel is called ‘Finding Nick’ (title came to me, so I’m not changing it unless something else pops up in a more spectacular manner), but no actual finding of Nick happens until about halfway into the novel.

So for me it would make more sense to use the big dramatic scene where Louisa’s looking for Nick as a framing device for her flashbacks about meeting Nick, dealing with his escapades before, their ‘friendship’, Catherine’s entry and exit etc, as Part One, and once all the flashbacks are over, have Part Two where Nick actually gets found, and no more flashbacks.

Plus I have a few ‘bridging’ scenes that are just filler. Now, I can either improve them or cull them. As long as culling is an option, and I’ll probably end up doing that anyway, I may as well go with a more dynamic starting point rather than a slow one.

So do I write all this material that I have a fifty-percent chance of actually using anyway, for the sake of being chronological, getting it all down on paper (computer screen) and getting my thoughts in order, or do I restructure it now? This will wreck my draft structure, and probably disorientate me, but it could save me from typing up a bunch of rubbish I won’t need later on. Then again, a bunch of rubbish is probably the norm for a first draft, am I right?

I guess another thing to take into account is that I might not like the new structure. So I think I’ve pretty much convinced myself not to do this, but what do YOU think? Have you done this before with little or much success? Any other reasons why or why not to do this?

What do you think I should do?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

heh. Sounds like a big problem, alright. I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with that. I don’t deal with flashbacks anyway, so I’d be stumpe4d from point one.

Here’s a good question to ask yourself: will it be more frustrating to have half a novel that you can’t use, or to never actually start because you keep changing things?

The l;atter is my big issue: I never actually get beyond around 3000 words before I decide to change some aspect of the story, be it wqorld, plot, characters, or even prose. So I’m stuck in this cycle of minor alterations and occasional major revisions, while never getting any actual writing done. If I’;d been able to just sit and write for a full novel, I would have done so years ago and been one of the many self-published teen hacks the good people at AS love to hate so much.
    So I guess it’s a good thing in its way, but it’s bloody frustrating.

By the time I’d finished writing that post, I had pretty much decided to stick it out. I just put it here for future reference and any other discussion. The novel I started four years ago got rebooted about four times stops to count yes, four, and I eventually gave it up. Then there was the talking-mouse story that never got finished, and the country-teenagers-matchmaker novel that bombed out after thirteen pages even though I think it’s some of my best work.

I’ve already had one reboot with Finding Nick, and that was after 13 000 words, because I was getting sidetracked in my character’s acceptance into a new school. I hadn’t even made it to the first major plot point, and there were six characters I just didn’t need. So in my reboot, I changed her to have already been at that school for a year. BAM! I didn’t need any new kid scenes, problem solved. I guess that’s a good example of when you have to redo something. But here, I don’t think there’s anything inherantly wrong with the structure. It’ll still get to where it needs to go. I’ll jazz it up and speed it up later.

So when I clicked ‘add your comments’, I decided that no way in hell am I going to reboot something that doesn’t even need it. It’s like this steely-headed thing: I AM going to finish this draft, and I am NOT going to take five years to do it. This is the time I sit down and stick it out.

I know I’m not qualified to offer advice here because I haven’t even finished draft one yet, but do you think maybe you need a mindset like that? To just tell yourself, ‘to hell with it all, I’m going to write a basic outline or synopsis of what goes on, and then I’m going to write the thing and make sure it sticks at least somewhat close to the plot.’

The l;atter is my big issue: I never actually get beyond around 3000 words before I decide to change some aspect of the story, be it wqorld, plot, characters, or even prose. So I’m stuck in this cycle of minor alterations and occasional major revisions, while never getting any actual writing done. If I’;d been able to just sit and write for a full novel, I would have done so years ago and been one of the many self-published teen hacks the good people at AS love to hate so much.
    So I guess it’s a good thing in its way, but it’s bloody frustrating.

I’m going to get flamed for this, but who cares what they think? Writing something is the first step. So what if you’re a teen hack? All that phrase means is that you’ve got a novel in its first draft that you thought was good enough for the world to see when actually it stunk because all FIRST first drafts stink. a) that can happen at any age, and b) anything can be transformed into something else.

I know SMeyer’s not a teenager, but I’m going to use her as an example: if Twilight had been edited over and over, if plausible reasons for Edward’s daylightness and going-to-schoolness etc had been thought up, if Bella had been given a personality, if it had gone through a couple of major rewrites and then some more tweaking, I truly believe it could have been a stellar book. But nothing like that happened.

I don’t think people should mock the hacks. All they’ve shown is bad judgement (and bad judgement is a trait we all have in some form or other), and that they’ve had nobody to tell them it was rubbish on the first draft. Think about it.

*note: double post because there are two issues here.

TRIPLE POST

Sorry if that’s a tl;dr. I got a little carried away…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

That’s true, and I don’t necessarily consider being a teenage hack a bad thing… it’s when they get arrogant and won’t listen to advice or try to improve, that it becomes bad. but ‘hacks’ who genuinely take constructive criticism on board and work to improve their writing, wow. A rare breed, I’ve found.

Anyway, my novel, which has for many years been more of the concept of “I’m going to write a novel one day!” than an actual planned story, has gone through countless redesigns, at least 8 major overhauls that I can remember, but dozens of small tweaks, false starts and other small changes. I can never decide when to start the story, as in what the opening scene will be. Should I start it earlier, or later? My latest more-than-100-words draft got to the point where I had 5000 words of “honey, I’m home! Everything seems to be in order. What’s that, we’re out of beer? I’ll get some tomorrow. Want to play chess, son?” before I gave up and redesigned the plot, world, characters, prose and opening scenes. Opening scenes should not be 5000 words of pottering around the house, watering plants and playing chess. I mean, honestly. Unless it were an experimental slice-of-life about emotions and with some pretty active extended metaphors, nobody’s going to want to read it.

so, I try, try again, and probably will until my son carries on my noble work so I can be posthumously publishedto much critical acclaim but little popular success because of the archaic obsoleteness of fantasy in the postapocalyptic scifi future. :P

3 things:

Opening scenes should not be 5000 words of pottering around the house, watering plants and playing chess.

I agree.

2. you have a son? (my sarcasm meter isn’t so great today)

3. May I have a look at it?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009 edited

2. No, not yet. That wasn’t quite sarcasm, but it most probably was. As a narcissistic analloerotic, I doubt I’ll be developing any progeny outside of a petri dish by my own instigation.

3. What, the ‘pottering around the house’ bit, or the redeveloped plot?

I’ve had people tell me that scene was actually really nice, but it’s not what I want to write, if you understand me, I don’t want to be known for pages upon pages of prose that goes nowhere and characters who do nothing for most of the book. At the same time, much of this arises because I want to portray the reality of living in my world, which requires lots of little things like pottering around the house and cooking and cleaning and bowel movements, and the problem is in choosing which bits to show and which to creatively disguise with more prominent foreground action or dialogue.

2. You know, if you’d just say ‘asexual’, it’s a lot less scary to look that word up. But fair enough. Can I guess by the number of big words in that sentence that you’re still trying to convey a dry tone? (That should have tipped me off the first time around.)

3. Pretty much anything you’ve got. Scrapped plots or plans, whatever’s on a computer. I’m nosy. I’m not promising to overhaul it and make it all better, but perhaps a fresh perspective on it could help. DOn’t worry about me stealing your ideas either, if you’re given to paranoia. I’ve got enough of my own.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

2. Yeah, I use lots of long words when I do sarcasm, that is generally the first tip-off. That, or intentionally pretentious parody. Also, ‘asexual’ and ‘analloerotic’ are very different, by definition. ‘asexual’ means completely klacking in sex drive; ‘analloerotic’ means ‘lacking in sexual desire for other people, but not lacking altogether’. My right hand has a very healthy relationship with certain other— that’s enough now, I’ll stop. Brainbleach, anyone?

3 (is the new ‘2’) Sure, I can give you a quick rundown of the latest plot, which by coincidence I do need to actually get down in written form before it morphs within my headspace again.

Hah, “quick rundown”. I sure fooled you. tl;dr: a hotel owner needs beer, gets embroiled in political ploot. His wife gets caught up, but ends up sympathising with the antagonists. Taku and his father-in-law launch an attack on the antagonists, and the whole thing ends in an ambiguous blur of unresolved tensions and insecure alliances. Things are Learned, including the thematic message “racism and povery are both complicated things that never have either a simple cause nor a simple solution, and require a multi-layered approach to be dealt with, but even then cannot be completely eradicated.” Or something like that.

2. Okay, we can stop right there. You sound like me, that’s how I knew. And I’d love some brainbleach.

3. I read it all. It sounds interesting. I’m fully into economic stuff. Have you tried jumping in at some action?

Also, you could just write the thing and see what happens. I bet you anything you like that as soon as you start writing, subplots will start springing out all over the place.

@ Taku: that sounds pretty interesting, actually. If it were on a shelf, I might pick it up!

But as for being on topic-If anyone remembers, I had kind of a similar problem with my JulNoWriMo draft. Of course, it’s not as much of a drastic change as what Steph was considering, but it was a pretty major change all the same. I’m adding in a character who’s going to have enormous importance, make the backstory more important to the main story, and all sorts of other things.

That would have been a pain to insert in my half-completed draft- especially the new character. So I decided to start again (with all you imps’ encouragement). Of course, I haven’t finished yet (haven’t even hit 5 pages yet, I think) so I can’t speak with much authority, but I think starting over might be a good thing. You can pay attention to things you didn’t pay attention to before, flesh out characters more, create more of a solid foundation, etc. etc.

Of course, no first draft is going to be perfect, and starting over and over again doesn’t get you anywhere. But if what you want to change fundamentally alters what’s going on, then I think a reboot is in order.

(in my humble opinion)

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

Gotta say, I like SNQ’s point. It’s been said (although I can’t remember by whom) that you only know what you’re writing about when you finish it, at which point you rewrite the whole thing with a more streamlined focus , and so on through several drafts until you’re happy with it and its message, and then you start with the ‘minor’ edits.

I agree. Yeah, mine was more about structure than O HAI NU PLAWT!

I wrote a sequence-of-flashbacks style short story for class in the spring, and it is a good way to limit bridge scenes that feel too much like filler, but it can still leave your reader disoriented even if the flashbacks are in chronological order, so take care to be very clear if you go that route.

Anyway, it sounds like you’ve got two viable options, in that you can write it with bridges and cut the bridges out later, or write the big scenes and add bridges later if you decide to. The first one takes more initial writing, but would probably be more unified/coherent. The second one is easier from the outset, but if you decide to go back and add bridges later, it requires heavier editing to make the major scenes sync up with anything that happens during bridging.

How big is the time span for which the flashbacks would occur, exactly? That probably goes a long way toward determining which setup would be more efficient.

‘Finding Nick Nemo’

Sorry, that’s what I thought of when I saw it because I know a lot of Nemo-obsessed people. I don’t dislike your title or anything.

I had this problem too. I was thinking of having two parallel stories (one as flashbacks and one as the present), but I think I’ve decided against it.

I think I was halfway through, I would just stick with it out of sheer laziness, but that’s just me (I know you said that’s what you decided to do). That may or may not be the correct course of action.

I also dealt with deciding whether my story was really far in future, really far in the past (before any record would be known), or in an alternate world where it didn’t matter. I thought the past thing would’ve been cool, but then I had to deal with whether there would be technology or not and why that technology would have been lost. So I think I’ve settled on the alternate universe thing.

‘Finding Nick Nemo’

Oh dear. I didn’t even think of that one. My second choice was ‘If I Can’t Save You’.

@ sansa:

The flashbacks are over the course of about a year and a half. And I think my novel needs to be as unified and coherent as possible, because it’s about the slow changes from friendship to something more to friendship to what the heck is this to friendship to I think you’re using me and you’re draining me to I don’t think I can help you no matter how much I wish I could.

So looking back, it was a stupid question that has generated some interesting discussion.