Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Just curious, mainly. Do you guys know any other languages? (I know a few people on here have English as a second language, which totally trips me out.)

So what’s your first language? Was English harder to learn?

If English is your first language and you know another language or two, how did you learn them, what did you learn, and how hard was it?

And, because I’m curious, what would be the easiest European language for an English speaker to learn?

Ore wa tsuki no go ga wakaru sa.

I took it in college, because Spanish is too useful/boring, and I needed a foreign language.

I’ve heard people claim German is the easiest to learn since (IIRC) it follows similar grammatical patterns to English, but the people who told me that were always the ones who took German instead of Spanish or somesuch, and were at least somewhat biased.

German is quite easy. I’ve learnt a bit of it (though not enough to say that I know it) and it is quite similar.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

Technically Mandarin is my first language (I didn’t learn English till I started school), but by this point English is functionally my native one.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009 edited

Swedish is my mother language, though I've grown up partially with Italian, which I'm not nearly fluent in. Thankfully we dub few movies in Sweden, so English was pretty close at hand. I can also easily understand Norwegian and Danish, as well as German, since out of the Scandinavian languages Swedish is the one with the most German influences. I don't know wich language would be the easiest for an English speaker, though. Probably German, since their grammar is very logical.
    ..... Why does my input always kill the thread? *sobs*
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Bangla was my first language when I was small, but by the time I was three, I spoke English fluently. Now I speak French as well, but I’m not quite fluent yet. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’ve took four semesters of Russian (finished in the spring), but I don’t remember much of it. If noting else, I can read the words.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I know some Spanish, mainly from traveling down there a lot (my aunt and uncle are missionaries in Pachuca, Hidalgo) and from taking it my freshman/sophomore years. I’m certainly not fluent, but I can read a bit of basic Spanish and communicate at a very substandard level.

I know a bit of Spanish, a bit of Tamil, and a lot of English. ;D

I speak English, but I’m learning German. Strangely, some people think I started with German and am some weird immigrant who speaks flawless, unaccented English…

I took Spanish sophomore and junior year. I don’t really know it though. I can understand some simple phrases and say a few things, but I can only catch a few words that native speakers say because they talk really fast. I don’t remember much from class. I would like to learn a language that not many people in America know, like Japanese or something, but I’m too lazy.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

English with an official government-certified Advanced French level: native speakers are Superior and true bilinguals are Advanced Plus. Very limited Chinese.

I greatly admire bilingual people (and even more so people who know three or more languages). It baffles me a little how people can be fluent and sound like a native speaker in a second, third, etc. language.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean

I can read/write/understand Spanish, but I can't speak it very well.... The solution? I have to recite poems in Spanish to practice pronunciation =(
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’m learning Chinese after forgetting it a few years ago. I can understand a lot of it, but I can’t really speak it/write it very well. =/

I can read/write/understand Spanish

Reading and writing it always came so much easier to me. Speaking and understanding was tough…

Some people say I speak Swedish with the Italian tempo. And apparently, my 'r's are strange. I think I pronounce them somewhat like the Rs in 'Arrabiata'.... I can understand a lot of Italian, speak some, but when it comes to reading and writing I'm hopeless xD

@Platypus: I think the talking and listening bit is something that you can only get through practice. The plus in that is that once you're in an environment where that language is spoken, you won't have to lay down a lot of work to learn. Most will come by itself.

What I experience is that when I speak in English to people with a heavy accent, I will automatically get one as well, even though I usually don't.

I can’t really speak it/write it very well. =/

Come on, man. It’s only several thousand characters you’ve got to know.

That said, at least Chinese writing seems fairly consistent… unlike Japanese writing, which is basically hard-mode Chinese.

Not really. At least the Japanese have the easier Hiragana for toddlers and idiots.

I speak some Spanish and some very basic French, and wish I knew somewhere nearby where I could learn Welsh.

Not really. At least the Japanese have the easier Hiragana for toddlers and idiots.

Of course kana is a joke, but kana has no relation to Chinese characters anyway. On+multiple Kun is just a pain in the ass.

I will. It requires a scalpel.
    I will. It requires a scalpel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009

and a lot of English. ;D

NO WAY!! Me too! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I speak Formal English, Somewhat Formal English, Somewhat Casual English and Casual English.

I did take German in school for 9 years, but that was mandatory school stuff, and who ever remembers that?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

and who ever remembers that?

Surprisingly, some of it started to come back when I went travelling with this German woman. And I learnt some new stuff. :3

I did take German in school for 9 years, but that was mandatory school stuff, and who ever remembers that?

I know; I took Spanish for 5 years, and now I can understand it, but reading and writing are neigh impossible.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I speak Formal English, Somewhat Formal English, Somewhat Casual English and Casual English.

NO WAY.

Me too. Only Somewhat Formal English and Somewhat Casual English are more often lumped together in the same category. And my Casual English is less like English and more like Mumblish.

I’d like to join the “I speak many types of English” club.

For this reason, I am actually multi-lingual.

I speak only casual English.

• CommentAuthorlawzard
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009

It’s English and French for me, as well as a little bit of Spanish. I should also be starting Russian before the end of the school year. Whee!

And, because I’m curious, what would be the easiest European language for an English speaker to learn?

All languages are easy in some aspects and difficult in others, and if you’re past puberty (which I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you are) learning a language will require a lot of hard work over a long period of time. You should probably pick a language you’re interested in rather than one that seems easy.

But, speaking from personal experience, French and Spanish aren’t too bad. French has a buttload of cognates, especially if you’ve got a good English vocabulary. There’s nothing too foreign in the grammar either, but spelling can be difficult for English speakers. Spanish is about as hard to learn as French, and while it has fewer cognates, it has much, much easier spelling.

Spanish is about as hard to learn as French, and while it has fewer cognates, it has much, much easier spelling.

I would argue and say that Spanish is harder, if only for the lack of cognates. I also think that there are many more verb conjugations to have to memorize, which can be rather tiresome and tedious. But then again, I’m living in France and not Spain, so I’m probably biased. ;)

• CommentAuthorlawzard
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009

Eh, I’m a bit biased on the matter, too. I learned Spanish second, and your second non-native language is always easier, especially if the languages are closely related. But yeah, you’re right about there being more conjugations. The imperative in particular has always given me headaches.

I learned Spanish second, and your second non-native language is always easier, especially if the languages are closely related.

I might want to take comparative lit in college, so I’d have to learn another language, like French or something. Unfortunately, neither of my languages are romance languages, and while I dislike Spanish and haven’t spoken French since seventh grade, maybe I’ll like it.

I really want to learn Russian and German. I’m thinking I may do an exchange program at some point in my educational career. ;)

My grandfather was an ambassador in a number of countries during his career. He's fluent in about ten languages or so, mostly Slavic ones (like Russian, for instance), and knows enough to get by in about ten more. I think it left quite clear influences in my mother's upbringing and attitude towards foreign languages, wich in turn affected me and my siblings.

Jeez, I can’t really even fathom knowing that many languages fluently. I wonder if it gets easier or harder with each successive language?

• CommentAuthorlawzard
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009

@Emill
    Your grandfather is all kinds of awesome. Anyone who can speak that many languages is my hero by default.

@sansafro
    It gets easier in my experience, but then, I’ve learned French and Spanish, which have nearly identical grammar. I’m not really sure how much it helps if the two languages you’re learning are totally unrelated like, say, German and Swahili or something.

Yeah, it seems like on the one hand, you end up with more and more information to keep track of, but on the other hand, you ought to learn how to learn languages better with each new one.

That said, I had to pretty much forcibly expunge some 95% of the Spanish I knew when I started taking Japanese, because the way I remembered the vowels and such were interfering. I don’t regret it though, because I never liked Spanish.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009 edited

@lawzard: Guess. Though he is surprisingly inept to non-European cultures. Sitting next to him on the Tokyo subway was a real pain.... >.> He was talking loudly, stretching his legs out, taking space and stuff.... But he's a fun character. I suspect that he's quite one of a kind.

.... Now, I wish I had self-discipline enough to learn some more languages.

@Sansafro: My mother tried applying her knowledge in Italian on what she was learning in Japanese (We took classes before the above mentioned trip), and she refused to give it up until the Japanese teacher got really, really annoyed and looked as if she was about to punch her in the face simply because she wouldn't listen..... Man, those were fun times.... Latin languages and Japanese are really much too different to be compared to one another.

He was talking loudly, stretching his legs out, taking space and stuff….

Delivering a Gaijin Smash, you mean.

Yeah, Japanese really can’t be laid side by side with Euro languages at all, and that’s probably true of other Asian languages as well(although I really don’t care for any of the others much).

What kept screwing me up at the start was that standalone Spanish vowels sound the same as Japanese vowels, and I had 6 years of having remembered them in AEIOU order, whereas Japanese arranges them in AIUEO order. Also, false cognates being distracting and so forth.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

Fun thing to note is that knowing the Swedish language has some advantageous qualities when learning Japanese. For one, both lack stress-accent, second, the U's are pronounced the same, which is very uncommon in other languages worldwide. That's where the similarities end, though.

.... And you're right, Japanese and Korean are two languages with no known relation to other languages, and do certainly not belong to the Tonal languages used in the nearby countries, such as Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

I would suspect that Japanese could possibly originate, or at least have influences, from the languages of northern nomads (All from the Northern-European Sams, to the Siberian tribes, Ainu in Nothern Japan and eastern Russia, and finally the Inuits in northern America and Greenland. Cultures and languages which have surprisingly much in common if you take into consideration the sheer amount of land they cover. They also share some physical similarities with the Japanese). That's just my speculations, though. The structure of modern Japanese is actually said to originate from Kyushu and the south, so it's origins are probably a very complex mix.

Fun thing to note is that knowing the Swedish language has some advantageous qualities when learning Japanese. For one, both lack stress-accent, second, the U’s are pronounced the same

Also, Swedish is one of the few European languages which uses tones, as in one can say the same word, but make the tone go up or down, hence changing the meaning of the word. (if that makes sense…) And that’s why Swedish sounds like singing. :D Chinese is another language that uses the tones, so people who know Swedish typically find it easier to learn Chinese than people who don’t speak Swedish.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

I did not know that. Now I feel the sudden urge to take classes in Chinese.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009

...I confess to a lot of cackling at the students taking Chinese classes at school just because their accents are so bad and they think they’re speaking it fluently.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009

The only way that I can think in French or any other language is if I’m trying to memorise a list of words and they get stuck in my head (okay, simple verbs, Spanman… mange, bois, dort, marche, eat, drink, sleep, walk, mange, bois, dort, marche, eat, drink, sleep….) And on and on forever in dull monotony. As you can see, I’m really bad at French. :D

• CommentAuthorRocky

Я владею русским. Плохо.

I'm in my fourth semester. I seem to be doing really well, as my Russian teacher is consistently embarrassing me about my pronunciation, especially on stressed vowels and some of the trickier letters. A few weeks back, she jokingly told me that I've been keeping secret that I'm actually Russian.

Spanny, your misspellings made me laugh. ;)
    Rocky, I is major jealous. I wish my school offered Russian!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I know! It’s been so long since I’ve studied French that I don’t even remember the most simple words. I’m so depressed. =(

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009 edited

I sort of.... Think in Swedish and English simultaneously. I mean, thoughts are just thoughts, right? I used to pay attention to the fact that my thoughts were in English around the time I just started getting somewhat fluent in it, nowdays they just melt together into a great mish-mash. Being aware of it is probably just another way to practice and explore vocabulary while learning.... So, @Elanor: He's just a n00b...!

Though you should hear Swedish WoW-players.... They speak so-called Swenglish (Svengelska).

Language takes practice, practice, practice, and you should never try to claim being more fluent in any other language than your mother tounge. I consider loosing touch with you mother language leaves you crippled, both linguistically and as a sense of identity. Language is a large part of culture, after all. I really regret not knowing Finnish, for instance, since I'm half-Finn. Since I have never been able to communicate with my Finnish-speaking relatives, I don't identify as one, which makes it harder to understand and relate to my father, since we don't share the same cultural roots.

Language goes beyond just grammar and words. It's history, culture and communication in a bundle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

He thinks he’s fluent in French and displays it by claiming to “think in French” and inserting random French words into conversation

Don’t forget the fb status updates.

[facepalm]

you should never try to claim being more fluent in any other language than your mother tounge.

If that was the case, I wouldn’t be speaking English fluently. I don’t think that should be the case at all; I know the French are very protective of their language and get upset when anyone says that they speak fluent French when in fact they’ve only lived here for a few years. But take, for instance, someone who’s lived in France for many years, worked with French people and has French speaking friends. I think they could definitely claim that they spoke fluently.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

Language takes practice, practice, practice, and you should never try to claim being more fluent in any other language than your mother tounge.

Ahem. For one, I should think you could have at least more than one mother tongue. My first language was Mandarin Chinese, making it technically my mother tongue—I didn’t learn English until I started school. However, I consider myself fluent (more, even) in English even though it isn’t my first one.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

WOOOOOOO

I enrolled for French in the spring. Now I can finally learn how to say basic French phrases correctly. :D

repeat after me:

“Basic French phrases”

now you should be right.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009 edited

@Elanor: ..... Wait, what? I said more fluent, not that you can't be fluent at all. For instance, I have been fluent in English since I was 11-12 years old, but Swedish is still the language most natural for me when it comes to making puns and play on words, etc. That doesn't mean I can't do the same in English, I will however pick up on the important facts in text more quickly when they're written in Swedish rather than English.

@RVL: You're right, of course it's possible to have more than one mother tounge. I have several friends who were raised bilingual, and I consider that any language that you have been fluent in since childhood can qualify as one. However, compare: If you didn't speak English for once year, contra not speaking Mandarin for one year, which do you think you would catch on to most quickly again afterwards?
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

@Elanor: ..... Wait, what? I said more fluent, not that you can’t be fluent at all. For instance, I have been fluent in English since I was 11-12 years old, but Swedish is still the language most natural for me when it comes to making puns and play on words, etc. That doesn’t mean I can’t do the same in English, I will however pick up on the important facts in text more quickly when they’re written in Swedish rather than English.

That’s what I meant. My mother tongue is Mandarin Chinese, but I am more fluent in English.

If you didn’t speak English for once year, contra not speaking Mandarin for one year, which do you think you would catch on to most quickly again afterwards?

Hmm… Well, all I meant was that it is possible to be fluent in more than one language, so I don’t see how your question would really make much difference…

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021

Yes, but my point from the very beginning was that your mother tounge is the language deepest rooted within you. That doesn't exclude being fluent in other languages, just meaning you can reach a greater depth in it.

And yes, it does make a difference, because I'm asking which language that is the closest to you, i.e., your mother language (By which I mean, not the language of your mother, but the mother of all the languages you will learn in your lifetime, the source which you will compare the others to and learn based upon it.)

@Elanor: That can be so, but from what I've experienced with my older sister, who moved to America at 16 and has lived abroad ever since, She slowly started loosing bits and pieces of her Swedish, meaning that while she was in the environment where the other language was spoken, she barely remembered Swedish at all, however, once she comes back home she remembers a whole lot of it very quickly, even though she's now lived abroad about half her life.... And, man, I'm getting so tired of this discussion right now that my English is slowly falling apart. Which is another point. Your mother tounge should be the language that's the least demanding of you to speak.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@Elanor: That can be so, but from what I’ve experienced with my older sister, who moved to America at 16 and has lived abroad ever since, She slowly started loosing bits and pieces of her Swedish, meaning that while she was in the environment where the other language was spoken, she barely remembered Swedish at all, however, once she comes back home she remembers a whole lot of it very quickly, even though she’s now lived abroad about half her life…. And, man, I’m getting so tired of this discussion right now that my English is slowly falling apart. Which is another point. Your mother tounge should be the language that’s the least demanding of you to speak.

It’s “tongue”. :P

What I’m saying is that I don’t think you should generalise so much, since there are exceptions, so that rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Also, when you define the mother tongue as the one closest to you, what I get out of it now is that you shouldn’t claim to be more fluent in another language than the one you’re most fluent in. Which, er, while a bit circuitous, makes sense, so whatever.

And yes, it does make a difference, because I’m asking which language that is the closest to you

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

so that rubbed me the wrong way a bit.

Same here. Hopefully I got my point across.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021

I'll be back to you in the morning. For the moment all I have to say is that if you consider yourself to be more fluent in another language than your mother tongue (I don't mind corrections), I honestly feel sorry for you, since you mother tongue should be the language that also defines your cultural roots and so on. I for one find listening to my mother language to be very soothing. And if you cripple that language (through not keeping it active, never deepening your knowledge in it or instead do so in other languages, etc.) something very precious is lost.

I didn't say that there are no exceptions just by questioning whether your cases were really so, but on the other hand I don't know very much about you, do I?

Well, goodnight. I'm damn tired right now, and to be honest, partly of you guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

For the moment all I have to say is that if you consider yourself to be more fluent in another language than your mother tongue (I don’t mind corrections), I honestly feel sorry for you, since you mother tongue should be the language that also defines your cultural roots and so on.

Given your definition of mother tongue, then English is my mother tongue while Mandarin Chinese is my native one. However, I don’t think you can pass such judgement on everyone—after all, there’s a limited number of mother tongues one can have, and by having one mother tongue instead of another, basically what you’re saying—or what I’m getting out of it—is that we’re losing something precious for every language that we don’t speak. While theoretically true, it’s also a bit of an impossibility to not lose something. I think you’re not including that people can and do often grow up in multiple, widely varied places—you don’t have to have roots in just one country or language or culture. People who grow up like that could just as well say you’re missing out on something precious by not having had that experience. No doubt each of those points of view have their own pros and cons, but what I’m saying is that your implication that one is better than another is what’s irking me. shrugs Whatever.

Igpay iatinpay smiay othermay onguetay

I also speak horse, but that is generally a silent language- mostly posture, facial expressions, eye-aversion and eye-contact in appropriate measure.

As I said earlier, it is very much possible to have more than one mother language, for example when you have two parents speaking different languages. I wasn't implying whether English or Mandarin is your mother tongue, and I find it likely that both can function as such since you've known them both fluently since childhood. The point I was trying to get across from the very beginning was that truly knowing your mother tongue can be a vital tool when learning new languages.

Of course you will lose some parts when you work diligently on a new language, however, that doesn't have to be lost knowledge. Things cannot be un-seen, so to say, same with your mother tongue being the language you're least likely to forget completely.

since you mother tongue should be the language that also defines your cultural roots and so on.

Maybe it does for you, but for many people, it doesn’t. My mother tongue was Bangla, but I was brought up and born in the US. In my case, it does define my roots but not my nationality. (I know this was not the point you were trying to make, but I’m simply trying to be clear.) However, think about a child who lived in an expat family and was born and brought up in Germany for three years. Then they moved to France and then the US, all by the age of 5. German is not necessarily going to be a source of that person’s roots; they may well forget it.

The point I was trying to get across from the very beginning was that truly knowing your mother tongue can be a vital tool when learning new languages.

Now that I understand where you were trying to go with this, I can respond better. I think that yes, knowing your mother tongue may help you learn a new language. Especially if the two are similar.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009

Igpay iatinpay smiay othermay onguetay
    I eakspay igpay atinlay ootay! Atway a oincidencecay!

Iay eltfay ikelay uchsay a-ay inoritmay eforebay ouyay aidsay atthay.

Anksthay.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009

onay oblempray!