Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I feel that this topic is especially relevant when you have an absolutely great idea and you want to incorporate it into a plot—but you don’t have the time or ideas or brain space to put it into a full-length novel. Well, that’s my reason for starting this, anyway…

1. So my first question up for discussion is: are good ideas wasted on short stories because of the different target market for shorts, not enough time for detail, etc? Am I right, wrong, or just incredibly gorgeous?

2. New discussion point. As far as I can see, short stories are harder: you have to get a bunch of information, a few rounded characters, and a theme across to the reader in a small amount of time. And that doesn’t even allow for the plot development. But novels require more stamina, right? Is that the only thing that short stories have to offer for the writer: that they’re short? What do you think about this?

3. Agatha Christie used to write short stories and turn them into novels later. What do you think of this method? Do you think you’d do well at it?

4. What length do you prefer (or try to follow)? Is there a length that your stuff always ends up becoming? Are you annoyed or happy with it?

Yes? No? Fish? Unrelated tangents? Discuss?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009

I’m very picky about my short stories. I think you have to be an exceptional writer to be able to pull one off well.

are good ideas wasted on short stories because of the different target market for shorts, not enough time for detail, etc?

Some good ideas simply don’t have the stamina to be pulled out into a novel— and it’s fatally obvious when a writer does this. But sometimes, yes, I get frustrated when I read a short story and think “dammit! this could have been an excellent novel! I want to know more about these characters!” However, sometimes I think that’s just selfishness talking, and the writer has already conveyed the most important messages in the story with minimal waste.

Is that the only thing that short stories have to offer for the writer: that they’re short?

I’ve found short stories are more akin to fairy tales: they often carry a message. A moral tale to tell the reader. Or a stomach-sinking twist.

I think the best comparison I can think of at the moment is Philip K. Dick and Anthony Horowitz. The Sunday Times magazine has a short story feature, normally I don’t bother reading it because they’re… RL stories. However, Anthony Horowitz doing fantasy? I read it. And was utterly bored. His “short story” consisted of a MASSIVE, completely undisguised infodump. With the twist tagged onto the end. It was the worst I’ve ever read.

Philip K. Dick, however, I’ve been reading a lot of his short stories lately and they are beautiful. He presents the situation well, explains it just enough to get the wider picture and to know the characters and BAM. Pure winsomeness.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited

I like short stories. I’m best at around 3000 words, sometimes 1500 words. I think they have a lot of merit, especially for beginning writers. With a short story, you’re forced to learn to be conscise and sparing with details, and you generally learn to get to the details and the actual story faster, without any wasted words or time. Applying that principle to a novel, of course, can be taken too far, but it’s definitely something some novelists (ahem, looking at you, Paolini!) should have learned or remembered.

I don’t really like moralistic short stories, as Jeni mentions, or stories with ‘twists’. I like short stories that are character driven and relationship-centred; slice-of-life stories that expoore emotions or that open up a new way of thinking.

One of the best short stoies I’ve ever read was such a story, features in the Best Australian Short Stories 2007 (ed. R Drewe): “Tender”, by Cate Kennedy. You can read it in Google Books… Oh wait, no you can’t. The pages it’s on have been mysteriously omitted. Darn. Anyway, it’s an excellent short story, because it delves into complex emotions with sensitivity and poignancy. There’s nothing that really happens plot-wise, it’s more of an introspection of the main character.

I often find that the best short stores don’t really have much of a plot; they focus on characters and interactions and emotions. Take “A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez , for example. A couple capture an angel, charge admission to see him, and then when people loose interest, they let him fly away. It seems weird, but despite the lack of substanceplot-wise, it’s still a really intense story. Because it focuses on themes and emotions and minute details that act as metaphor and metonymy to the greater story, rather than wasting words on complex polot development or character development over time.

Which leads to my next point: In a novel, characters are free to develop and change through the course of the novel, because we as readers have the space to see the change occuring gradually. In short stories, however, there is often no character growth, because there’s not enough time or space for that kind of complex handling. Short stories are generally a tiny portion of a metaphysical larger story, painted in minute detail. It could be an instant, or a day, or even a few days. But there’s simply not enough room in a short story for the same kind of character treatment as a novel can have.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009

I think it really depends on the short story. I mean, I have this fantasy anthology of short stories called Firebirds, and one called Young Warriors, both of which I adore, because it’s a collection of different snapshots on one theme, and if you research the authors, they’ve all done more extensive stuff on the topics. But there’s this Hemingway book I slogged through, the First Forty-Nine Stories, and oh, my god, it’s one of the most boring things ever (then again, the only Hemingway I can stand is the Sun Also Rises).

There’s a Roddy Doyle collection of short stories on foreigners living in Ireland (duh. this is Roddy Doyle. Everything is about Ireland) that is the creepiest thing ever, and a bunch of Diana Wynne Jones ones that are decent. I guess what I’m saying is, if there’s a particular point or an angle you’re trying to bring across, a short story can be really poignant (because no one wants to read a whole novel that’s about one particular angle or one particular point), but if it gets too disjointed it’s kind of irritating. See: All five billion and sixty-one snippets of randomness Kafka wrote and none of which were published while he was living, for a reason.

Short stories are very very difficult for me to write. There are some I enjoy reading, but I can never find a good topic to write about.

Not like my novel is much better, but at least I have an idea or two.

Short stories are a lot less work, but you need to be a lot more economical with your word choice and sentence construction. It’s easier to achieve one singular effect in a short story as well, since you haven’t got pages and pages to dilute it.

I like novels better, though.