Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

Anyone here listen to music while writing? I know some like things silent but dang it I need glorious sound! So what do you type to?

It depends on the scene. Sometimes, I need a beat—something fast—so I’ll listen to shameful look lots and lots of pop, the kind you can dance to. Otherwise, I’ll listen to classical, movie soundtracks, and various things.

If there’s a song with lyrics that perfectly fit a character who’s the focus of the scene, I’ll play it.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No, I’m usually silent. I don’t listen to much music as it is… I don’t have an ipod, itunes, any music on my computer whatsoever. Just a stack of cds in my car if the radio plays a crappy song I don’t like.

Usually if I am listening to music, I’ll get sidetracked and start humming the tune or really getting into it, and not writing.

I mostly listen to goofy JRock and instrumentals when I write, so I don’t get distracted by the lyrics. There are few characters I associate with specific songs as almost character themes, so occasionally I put those songs on loop when writing scenes about them. I also put one of the instrumentals from Soul Calibur on loop when I was writing one fight scene because I thought the rhythm was perfect for what I had in mind.

Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard, Evanescence (Just not My Immortal....:P), Cara Dillon, Hanneke Cassel, Kate Rusby.

For Happier mood music I stick with more cheerful soundtracks like Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

My mom loves the song My Immortal. XD

Foxhole is currently my favorite band to listen to while writing. Post rock in general is pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I don’t really listen to music when I’m writing because I find it distracting. But when I’m extremely uninspired, sometimes it helps. I’m going through a listening-to-everything-Yann-Tiersen-ever-wrote phase right about now, so yeah. And Dario Marianelli. But only when I’m writing about sad things.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

I tend to get distracted when listening to music.
    Some music has a suitably epic feel, though, so I like to use it to inspire me in important scenes.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I find Enya works beautifully for me. Also, this Rainforest Music track of native australian wildlife mized with pan flutes and such, but some guy who was a good friend of some famous photographer guy. Basically, tunes that doen’t have words, but aren’t so structured as European instrumentals (they actually put me off writing, strangely. Chinese instrumental music works well, too.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Almost always. I listen to music when I’m reading and doing homework, too, but when I’m writing I like to have music that fits whatever’s going on in what I’m writing.

I never listen to music when I’m writing. It’s too distracting.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Likewise, er, but with essays. The only thing I found I could listen to, at a pinch, was Classic FM. At 3am.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

@ Dan, Jeni: I find myself distracted to music that has recogniseable words and rhythms as well, or songs that I know I like. That's why I listen to Enya, pan flutes and "meditation" music styles. They blend into the background really easily. Perhaps you're listening to the wrong type of music? Anything that would be played on a radio is the wrong sort, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to force you into anything, and I fully understand why you wouldn't want music on while you're working, but I also understand that the kind of music -sold in stores- played on the radio is probably the wrong kind of music to write to.

edit: I also like the score of The Time Machine. Klaus Badelt's absolute best work by far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Perhaps you’re listening to the wrong type of music?

No, it’s all types, even the rise and fall of the music can be distracting enough for me. Especially movie scores.

And which is why I said Classic FM, even classical music can sometimes be too distracting. ;)

@TakuGifian

>Perhaps you’re listening to the wrong type of music? Anything that would be played on a radio is the wrong sort, in my opinion.

I don’t listen to anything that would be played on a radio.

Ooh, I do all the time. I don’t really like silence, and normally I listen to either classical or rock while writing. However, if the scene is, say, very emotional, I ‘ll probably listen to something relatively quiet. I do agree that sometimes music can get rather distracting though, so if I’m having trouble concentrating, or I can’t figure out what I’m doing, I turn off the music.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I usually don’t listen to anything, but when I’m stuck I might just turn on a song to help me get some new idea.

I do think best when I have music going.

And… I find nickleback to be helpful for my process. [sorry]

As far as movie scores being distracting, that's why I prefer scores that (a) I don't watch/know too well so I'm not distracted by matching up the story with the song and (b) don't have too much of an "epic" feel....quieter works best for me.

I can’t write to music with stuff I can sing to, because inevitably I start singing (unless it’s a day like today, where I have semi-laryngitis).Which is distracting. Occasionally I’ll play some Chopin or something, and I’ve been meaning to test out some of my favorite mellow Opeth instrumentals.

However, I do associate certain songs with certain characters.

I find music helps me write if it is somehow related to the subject. For instance, when I am writing my steampunk story, I listen to neoclassical metal. It’s a perfect mix of the old elegance of classical and the mechanic, aggressive sound of heavy metal.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I usually can’t listen to music while I’m writing or I get just too distracted, but lately I’ve found I can listen to copious amounts of Nightwish while writing. It’s nice to have a background track to life…

I always try to sing along to Tarja and then things end up a disaster in two ways. One, I don’t get any work done, and two, I suck at singing like Tarja.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

And… I find nickleback to be helpful for my process. [sorry]

:o

SHUN

Michita – Three

Eternal Morning – Soundtrack to a Lost Film

Most things by Vivaldi

Most things by Nujabes

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Classical music is useful sometimes. Unless it’s Tchaikovsky, in which case I’m too busy staring off into space dreamily and making director motions with my hands to write.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I use film scores extensively to wrap my head around tone. This is beneficial for me, as I've been leaning more toward scripts than prose. I never write to mirror the music itself, though.

But if it’s epic like LotR or TDK or PotC, that distracts me too.

Yes, I’m easily distracted.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited

Me too… I suppose it has to be something A) in another language or B) without words or C) that I don’t know very well so I don’t sing along, but it can’t be something too epic or symphonic, because then I get distracted and too into the music.

Also, those are my three favorite movie soundtracks! Along with 300.

Two out of three of those are by Hans Zimmer. Just shows how awesome he is. :D

I listen to musical soundtracks, mostly, but I love Linda Eder. Mostly I listen to tracks if I’m basing a story off them (like the series I meant to do translating R&H’s Cinderella into a fanfic), but otherwise I like it silent – too distracting.

I MUST sing along when I listen to music. So the only stuff that works for me is classical or jazz—nothing with voices in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009

Hahah, but then I start humming along to classical— especially if I know the piece. Equally distracting. :D

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Two out of three of those are by Hans Zimmer. Just shows how awesome he is. :D

BAH. Don't get me started on him. I'm finding him less tolerable these days.
    At least HZ isn't as repetitive as John Williams. Or Harry Gregson-Williams.
    • CommentAuthorRocky

Zimmer's been bumping his former students and hijacking their projects. He can't seem to let them work on their own. First Klaus Badelt for "Pirates of the Caribbean", then Steve Jablonsky for "Transformers", and now Harry Gregson-Williams for "Modern Warfare".

Also, the only reason he would seem less repetitive than Williams is because Williams' career is almost three times that of Zimmer's. Gregson-Williams is only repetitive for reasons mentioned above. Zimmer's a good composer, and he's made some smashing music, but he's starting to irritate me of late.
    My biggest beef with Harry is his tendency to basically lift his battle sequence from Kingdom of Heaven and stuff it directly into Narnia. That just felt cheap. It is frightening. I didn't know that Hans Zimmer was "behind" Gregson-Williams.
    Good grief, even our SOUNDTRACKS have shadow governments? *cowers*

I'm..... fine with Hans Zimmer..... His "magic" has already "blah'd" on me. His music is nice...it is just kind of......there. I'm a huge fan of Thomas Newman though. I really think he is brilliant. (Although he does like to repeat himself...I don't mind because it seems less obvious to me.)
    • CommentAuthorRickGarza

I just listen to anime and video game soundtracks. Sometimes I'll just have my iTunes set on shuffle.
    • CommentAuthorRocky

bq. My biggest beef with Harry is his tendency to basically lift his battle sequence from Kingdom of Heaven and stuff it directly into Narnia.

The curious thing about Remote Control is that, with Hans being the Executive Producer or whatnot, and with his influence in certain films, it's hard to say who's music is who's. I've heard that, on several occasions, Hans has actually written a couple themes or motifs for his pupils and let them use them in their pictures.

There's a reason "this":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPM5Qnd66tw sounds almost identical to "this":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XCRyyE0KcQ.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent.

Well, I don’t really know about the films Zimmer has scored other than PoTC, TDK, and The Lion King.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009 edited

Well, I only dislike him as of late. He's got some great music behind him, and I've found that his best music accompanies exceptional films.

His work on _The Prince of Egypt_ was some of his best, imo.
    Ah, I have Black Hawk Down and Gladiator to add to the Hans Zimmer list. Both of which are some of my all-time faves.

OH my word...just finished watching Les Miserables (1998 version with Liam Neeson)....I waaaaaant that soundtrack.

Is it good? I want to see it…

EDIT: Today, I am going to try writing to Opeth, will tell you how it went.