Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Okay, I wanted to start a writing-related thread. I’m really into character development right now, so I thought, why not talk about how to give them proper faults? This seems to be hard to give them human faults and be sure that they aren’t self-inserts. I’ve seen a lot of characters who are perfect with one minor fault. Then there are the ones whose faults are overly emphasized. I would like to discuss how to find a happy medium in this.

I’ve basically been using people I know for basic character designs. If I feel like I should add in a certain trait—be it a good or bad one—then I try to balance it by adding another one that’s the opposite.

But, er, I don’t know if this works well, as my current writing is of shoddy quality.

I posted something like this in another thread once, but IMO the best way to integrate faults into your characters is to have them be related to that character’s virtues, or have them be the character’s virtues themselves, but situationally misapplied. At any rate, they ought to be fairly organic to the character in question, and not something you superimpose onto the character just for the sake of giving them flaws.

I can give specific examples from my own stuff, but that could get really long if I can’t control myself.

Oh, yeah. I should’ve mentioned that if I do add another trait to try to balance them, I don’t just go, “Huh, the shy, dogged nice guy needs a flaw—hey, let’s make him cocky!” I try not to be random with this sort of thing.

Oh, yeah. I should’ve mentioned that if I do add another trait to try to balance them, I don’t just go, “Huh, the shy, dogged nice guy needs a flaw—hey, let’s make him cocky!” I try not to be random with this sort of thing.

Yeah, I didn’t mean that to be directed at you or anything, if that’s how it looked. You hadn’t posted yet when I started typing that x_x

You hadn’t posted yet when I started typing that

Oh, okay. I was being all defensive in case it was directed to me; I’m sorry.

Yeah, I like to use sansafro’s approach as well. It’s logical and kind of cuts down your work for you- you think of one quality and extrapolate good and bad about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited

Oh, okay. I was being all defensive in case it was directed to me; I’m sorry.

No worries, I probably would’ve read it the same way you did if I hadn’t written it myself.

At any rate, since I can’t help myself, I’ll give a similar ramble to one I did in the other thread, regarding specifics of the application of that stuff I typed. If anyone somehow remembers that, don’t waste your time reading this. Sorry if it ends up getting too long.

I’ll use my male lead as an example. For a little background, he’s a sword for hire, who typically works for yakuza gangs to assassinate high-profile targets in rival organizations, although he’s hired for a new, different job at the time of the story that he doesn’t like.

Basically, his primary asset is his intelligence/absurdly fast learning speed, which can be a really stupid power as we’ve all seen in Inheritance. I don’t consider it imbalanced in my own guy’s case because aside from two other weird situational traits, his brain and his wide array of techniques are basically all he has. While other upper-tier characters have things like super strength/speed, telekinesis, and other nonsense, his physical talent is pretty average so he’s dead without the hyperintelligence.

Since his mental ability is such a core part of his character, it stands to reason that it’s also the root of his flaws. Since intelligence is his best asset, he tends to overvalue it as a trait even outside of combat, which means he ends up underestimating people who arrive at their decisions differently(i.e. the female lead, who runs mostly on instinct early on).

He also never actually masters anything he learns, because even for a genius it still takes years of dedication for which he doesn’t really have the determination, and only learns maybe 75 or 80% of something before moving on. That sort of restless inability to see things through becomes a habit for him that spills over into the rest of his life, so by the time the story starts, he’s spent time being a swordsmith, a vigilante, a soldier, a pirate, and muscle for the yakuza, despite being a little older than twenty, and he’s never able to be comfortable for long in one line of work before he moves on out of habit.

He also tends to suppress his own instincts and emotions because his mind has become so compartmentalized. When the story starts, he’s to the point where he has serious trouble recognizing them, and when they break out of whatever mental compartment he’s got them tucked away in, he has no clue how to deal with them. When you get down to it, he’s really much more emotionally immature than the female lead even though it doesn’t look that way at first glance.

There’s also the thing about misapplying virtues to turn them into situational flaws. In my guy’s case, his application of deductive reasoning when he has an incomplete picture of all the relevant data can lead to him drawing incorrect conclusions, and being totally blindsided when things don’t play out as he’s assumed they will. To be more specific, there’s a major undercurrent of “who can we trust?” going through the whole story, since pretty much everybody’s after the female lead. At one point, he trusts a guy he’s on good terms with to look out for her while he does something else because, based on what he knows, the guy has no reason to sell them out. The guy does end up selling them out for a totally logical reason, but my lead wasn’t aware of the factors that led to such a decision.

Yeah, that was as long and rambling as I expected it to be, but I can’t help myself. I will say that writing all that stuff out for a character is a good way to get to know them, though.

I posted something like this in another thread once, but IMO the best way to integrate faults into your characters is to have them be related to that character’s virtues, or have them be the character’s virtues themselves, but situationally misapplied. At any rate, they ought to be fairly organic to the character in question, and not something you superimpose onto the character just for the sake of giving them flaws.

Afro is spot on here and I think a lot of real world observations of people help a writer lots in this regard.

Basically the idea is that every strength is a flaw/weakness in different situations. So you have an eager, courageous young warrior who’s ready to leap into battle. Which probably means this person is impatient and quick to act or talk without thinking. (they probably stick their foot in their mouth a lot)

Or you have a character that is very intellectual and thoughtful. Then they’d probably have a tendency to “freeze” up in situations where quick action is needed. Are a bit indecisive because they can’t make decisions.

The biggest thing with flaws is to make sure that the character is consistent. (i.e. does Eragon’s poetry really fit with the character he has been so far?) So take their strengths and work through the times where those strengths would be more of a downside than a benefit and [poof] character flaws.

I personally think that characterizations are what I do best, so this is quite a big issue. After all, how can one tell if their character’s flaws are realistic or not? I think it’s important to not only have one major flaw, but other smaller ones as well. I would say more, but homework is taking over my life… I’ll come back and post more. (eventually)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

Same, characters are probably what I do best.

Yeah, I try to do that with my characters.^^

Like one of my characters adopted a child, and he tries to be a good father, but he tries too hard and ultimately ends up hurting the child more.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

A character’s flaws, just like their virtues, should have some basis in the character’s history- their genetics, their childhood, their life events, their personality, that sort of thing. For example, a paranoid character’s parents were killed when she was a very small child, so she lives in fear that the murderer will come after her, too. Someone who is suspicious of everyone was betrayed by someone they considered a close friend. A character who is doesn’t react much to unusual/stressful/terrible events underwent severe emotional trauma or has a job/position for which they can’t allow emotions to interfere with judgment (special forces soldier, researcher, judge, etc.).

And flaws need to complement virtues. If a character picks up things very quickly, maybe they suffer from information overload- they pick up so much useless trivia, it’s hard for them to remember the important parts of life. Or someone who has the ability to break down any problem to its roots annoys everyone around them because they overanalyze everything.

I would say that Eragon’s poetry does fit in his character.

On topic I would say(I have never written anything, I’m just rambling) that a character does not need to have flaws, but could be simply inexperinsed. Like a computer geek in Middle-Earth. There are no massive flaws, but he is totaly unequipped to deal with the way things are.

Hmm… I would say also in that situation

In the story I’m currently planning out, I happen to have characters who seem to have nothing but faults:

hot-tempered
    a little bit of a worry-wart
    isolated from others (although that’s just the effect of ganglands)
    somewhat of a grump
    deathly scared of horses (main transportation form…)
    suspicious
    looks for the worst in people first

her only saving graces are that she’s fiercely loyal and she’ll go back for anyone who’s in life-threatening trouble, even if she hates them normally. Probably there are a couple more, but I can’t think of them right now o.O

Of course, I’m making her sister possibly traitorous, she’s got frequent muscular spasms that she has to hide, and she ends up killing someone when she’s trying to escape from a raid. So yeah.

I happen to have characters who seem to have nothing but faults

Same here. I was having a very difficult time thinking up of good traits. He is:

prone to anger
    cruel
    arrogant
    a cynic
    death obsessed
    is trying to kill someone and feels no remorse whatsoever
    antisocial

Yeah, he’s rather difficult to get right…

LIke I said above, the line between faults and virtues are often a case of context. Let’s look at steph and RVL and show how a bit of “relabeling” makes one see virtuous.

hot-tempered
    a little bit of a worry-wart
    isolated from others (although that’s just the effect of ganglands)
    somewhat of a grump
    deathly scared of horses (main transportation form…)
    suspicious
    looks for the worst in people first

Nah, he’s passionate, through and cautious.

prone to anger
    cruel
    arrogant
    a cynic

Well I can’t do anything with the last 3. But those are obviously “decisive, confident, and realistic”.

Basically my advice for making faults in reverse. If you have trouble with the good traits, then take the bad and figure out when they would be good.

Actually, among those three, I also wrote that he was willing to do anything to get a job done. Preserving. But thanks anyways. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Hmm, for my child character I try to make him have more of the “childish” faults:

Doesn’t understand the consequences of his actions
    Paranoid
    Overreacts
    ect. ( I can’t think of any more at the moment…)

But I think you have to have the character’s faults related to their age.

@RVL – See? All a matter of perspective. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Puppet – as well as their experience. A twenty-year-old with little to no contact with the broader world (grew up in a small town, never left home until they were older, no/limited Internet access, etc.) would be more naive than a twelve-year-old who grew up constantly moving from place to place or being shuffled around through foster families, etc.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Also, almost any personality “quirk” can become a flaw under the right circumstances. One of my characters, for instance, loves sweet things. Because of this, he never detects the drug a rival slipped into his heavily-sugared tea. On the other hand, this very same love of sugar is one of the traits that helped forge a bond between the character and his cousin after a rocky start, so it is also a strength.

Basically, treat your characters as people, stay true to their personalities, and their strengths and weaknesses will make themselves known without you having to force them. After all, God doesn’t go around slapping arbitrary flaws on people. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

HMM, THIS CHILD IS NOT INTERESTING ENOUGH. I SHALL GIVE IT A PHOBIA OF PUPPIES FOR GIGGLES.”

Yeah, you’re right, I highly doubt God does that…

• CommentAuthorRocky

I hate it when characters have flaws just to make them flawed. Give them a legitimate and logical reason for it. It's like making the villain evil just because the villain has to be evil.

My sister and I are writing a manga, so we’re trying to specifically avert this pitfall by making our villainess go through a Gatsby-like makeover (complete with a Daisy and criminal contacts), and then turning into an EVUL villain after she kills her “Daisy”.

I’m retconning a lot of my work to do this, too – I originally had my villainess be a sadist because it helped the plot along.

Nice discussion so far :D
    I’m just going to go ahead and post some of the flaws of my MC from one of my stories/book/whatever/lalala : He’s excessively shy around women and easily manipulated by them Despite primarily fighting using melee weapons he’s incredibly frail and doesn’t have much stamina either He hates feeling attached to people (due to the fear of losing them, ofc) and thus is generally sarcastic and rude in nature If its a matter of life and death (and at times, when it isn’t) he is never bound by code of honour and will use any means necessary to win (personally i feel this is both a pro and a con) He has a phobia of riding horses (because he spent half a night trapped under a horse’s corpse after being struck down in a skirmish)

Well, those are some of his flaws, which do change over the course of the story.
    e.g. #3 : he renounces all his old attachments and separates himself from everyone #2: the reason for this is essentially a omg spoiler in the story, he does learn how to use his true abilities, but he then pretty much suffers from a one-hit-death syndrome where even a simple stab becomes capable of killing him instantly

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

He has a phobia of riding horses (because he spent half a night trapped under a horse’s corpse after being struck down in a skirmish)

I like how you’ve justified it. ;)

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009 edited

I don't generally like to define them as "faults" or "flaws". Just using that term tends to make one lean toward adding negative aspects, when I think the crux of applying these sort of eccentricities should make the characters unique and interesting, and not just "imperfect". I prefer to think of them as "eccentricities", or what I can add to the character to make them different and interesting apart from the others. I also think there's a tendency to follow through with the negativity. Say someone has a character that the author feels should have a flaw, so the character is made into a compulsive liar. If that's approached only from a negative, hurtful standpoint, then you'll have a character that lies to service the story, rather than servicing himself. His compulsive lying could be the source of several humorous moments, or interesting character interaction, which could then be built up internally to result in something that will later service the story, in a good or bad way. Or both.

I like to give my characters a strong weakness that directly keeps them from getting their goals. Then, I let them struggle to overcome it. This may not even be the central plot; a subplot, but something that gives her something interesting to do in which the reader can emotionally invest.

An ambitious teenager who dreams of becoming a real estate tycoon, but she has ADHD.

Even if the story ends up being about her looking for her kidnapped boyfriend in an abandoned amusement park island, it provides something else interesting.

(WTF, did I just write that?! XD I come up with some funny ideas when I write here. Might as well keep going.)

The story bounces back and forth between last month, when the sweet and honest boyfriend was helping her making better schedules and studying with her, and the present where she is researching leads when the police have mysteriously given up…

Oh noes! XD I feel kinda happy. Well, that’s enough out of me.

For my female lead, she’s determined and headstrong, but also a bit spoiled (having grown up privileged) and impulsive. Also rather bossy, and sometimes untactful, even though she often means well. She fluctuates between being very generous or very selfish, depending on the situation.

My male lead is quieter, less conspicuous, and more sensitive. He understands people better than my female lead (she’s so impetuous that she usually is guided by first impressions and intuition more than anything else) but he is shy and indecisive.

My female lead’s a lot like that too. I think it helps when you have an impulsive character that shoots from the hip most of the time, it helps to have them split time between being right and wrong with their snap judgments. If they’re always wrong, they look like idiots, but if they’re always right, they look like Sues.

That said, it makes her character arc fairly easy to write, as she learns to rely on her brain as much as her heart.

By the way, Nate? My MC is a girl. Just throwing that out there…

Another story’s MC is quite serious. She does have the snark inside, but it never makes it out through her mouth other than around certain people. I seriously had to put that in there, otherwise she’d be a pain to write, but I have to be very careful not to let the snark take over—otherwise she becomes too much of me and not enough of herself. Sort of like a pre-Edward Bella. Ah, those were the days…

I’m trying hard not to make her one-dimensional, but what does that even mean? Discuss? Elaborate? Somebody? Please?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009

Heh. I’m really rather ephemeral with character creation, a lot of the time they just walk fully-formed into my head.

But the one universal failing that every one of my characers has: my characters are all human, and are therefore fallible. They make mistakes, they act irrationally, they draw the wrong conclusions, they see what they want to see, they let emotions guide their actions, THEY CANNOT SEE THE FUTURE or calculate the effects of thier actions or words. They are sometimes selfish, sometimes cruel or concieted, or forgetful. They sometimes succumb to greed, sloth, jealousy, passion, wrath, and all the other things that humans succumb to.
    But at the same time, they sometimes have all the positive traits of humans: they can be selfless, kind, considerate, compassionate, successful, intuitive, cooperative, courteous, decisive, diligent, dependable, polite, generous, and all the other positive traits. Never all at once, and never to a superhuman degree (because they are, after all, human). And never in isolation of the ‘bad’ character traits.

Notice how all the ‘bad’ traits up there are nearly all related in some way to self-centredness? And nearly all the ‘positive’ traits are themed around helping and being considerate to other people? They way I see it, there are two types of personality traits: EGO, which includes selfishness, pride, greed, gluttony, jealousy, and all the rest; and EMPATHY, which comprises sympathy, compassion, politeness, generosity, courtesy, et al.. Give your characters a measure of both, and it will take you far.

By the way, Nate? My MC is a girl. Just throwing that out there…

I was using the generic “he” of course. <.<

I’m trying hard not to make her one-dimensional, but what does that even mean? Discuss? Elaborate? Somebody? Please?

All you have is that she’s serious with a bit of snark to her? Of course she’s 1-dimensional!

1 method I enjoy is “How would he/she/it react?” where you imagine a variety of situations and then see how the character would deal with it. So in this case, she’s serious, doesn’t tell us anything about how she deals with:
    Waiting in line at the store.
    Puppies
    Men
    People from across different places, age groups, etc
    Other emotions

That’s how I define a character’s dimensions: how well you can transplant them. So, for example, “how would Bella deal with ____”, the answer is almost always going to be “Edward”. Harry Potter on the other hand, we can see and imagine him in a variety of situations easily. “How would Harry deal with being on hold with tech support?” If people can take what you’ve written and put those characters elsewhere, then you have a real, true character.

Agreed. Very nicely put Nate. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009

For my child lead he’s a loner, paranoid, curios, weird, disturbed, overreacts and doesn’t realize the consequences of his actions. He’s paranoid, thinking that the person who killed his parents is after him. He can have random mood swings, and hallucinations, he’s often very tired and drowsy, not being able to sleep well at night.

My adult lead is a bit of a creeper, he always wanted a son, but he doesn’t really know how to properly take care of a child. He makes puppets that obey his every command, so he’s used to being obeyed. And he tries too hard to do things right, usually ending up doing more harm then good. He’s also a bit vain, and wants things done his way.

1 method I enjoy is “How would he/she/it react?” where you imagine a variety of situations and then see how the character would deal with it.

I used this in my character profile sheet for a number of generic situations…hold on, I think I used ‘How they deal with 1)stress 2)anger 3)betrayal 4)injustice (perceived or otherwise) 5)guilt 6)unrequited love.’

Of course, those are pretty broad.

Ta, Nate.

All you have is that she’s serious with a bit of snark to her? Of course she’s 1-dimensional!

Okay, I kind of abbreviated her traits for brevity’s sake. Let me elaborate slightly: she hates a fuss being made, so often she’ll do something she doesn’t like just to stop people from arguing, etc. I guess you’d say ‘self-sacrificing’. She doesn’t like to show emotion too much, but she can get very emotionally attached to people, she’s serious to the point of deconstructing jokes because they don’t make sense, so perhaps ‘pedantic’, she’s not a morning person, she’s quite structured and organised in most things,and when something annoys her she dislikes it and she’ll be snarky to herself about it, but most of the time she’s tolerant and patient about it, and the main point of the story is that she tries to ignore others’ bad sides to the point of not seeing what’s right in front of her.

Better?

“How would Harry deal with being on hold with tech support?”

I actually wrote a fanfic where Harry had to use a computer to type up his reports because it it was “Go Without Magic” week. Then, after a long, grueling time on his laptop, it crashes. Harry goes into a fit (he’s already underfed, stressed from work and his nasty boss, and annoyed with the computer because it is slow and he’s forgotten how to use them), and the whole thing is caught on camera.

Harry faints as soon as the swarm of reporters barges in.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011

I tend to have a lot of stubborn characters.
    Well, there’s the hero of the last book, who is brave, honest, loyal, and determined. But also hot-tempered, impatient, and stubborn.

I like cynical characters, maybe because I’m rather cynical myself.

Usually they have some kind of thing in their backstory that explains their cynicism and why they turned into a bitter bad guy/snarky good guy/what have you. Also, just because two characters are both cynical, it doesn’t mean that they’ll get along.
    Right?

What I’ve discovered is that both of my main characters are very curious. It’s not that they’re always asking annoying, self-explanatory questions, but that they both want to know more about the world. I think it’s what allows them to be friends, because they have vastly different backgrounds. I hope this doesn’t end up just being annoying, though…

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011

The other common flaw my characters tend to have is not being able to keep their mouths shut.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011

Writing characters is a lot like worldbuilding. There’s innate and acquired traits to worry about, environmental factors, the effects of whatever’s going on in the plot…I think it’s fascinating.

I agree with the double-edged sword thing that’s been discussed earlier. Flaws have to be relevant to strengths in order to work well and not look like tacked on additions. I personally hate when authors either a. shoehorn a random flaw in (like Bella’s clumsiness) that serves absolutely no purpose or b. put in a flaw that magically disappears later in the story (Bella’s fear of blood, for lack of a better example.)

One of my main characters is adopted, and he also has a disease that isolates him from society. Because of these factors, he has a difficult time relating to people but gets extremely attached when he’s sure that they genuinely care about him. This works out to be a flaw and a strength, because he can be loyal to the point of easy manipulation. It’s also very hard for him, especially once another character dies and he has to deal with the devastation of losing his only friend. Eventually he starts to learn how to act in social situations, but it takes him quite awhile to mature to that point.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011

Writing characters is a lot like worldbuilding.

This is interesting to me. I spend so much of my time focusing on the macro elements of worldbuilding that I often neglect to build my characters. I seriously need to do some work on them, at the moment even my central characters are mostly nebulous.

^Don’t worry, you’re not alone.

I try harder with characterization each time I write something, and I’m still not sure I’m quite there yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011

@Taku:
    I said that because it’s basically the same concept on a much more personal level. Say the Kingdom of Generic Fantasy Land is dissolved because dragons have launched a rebellion and taken over. The worldbuilding would be describing the political fallout of the military coup, the effects on the populace, etc. Characterization would be describing how a former dragon keeper changes upon fleeing the capital and living under constant pressure. In relation to the topic, maybe he only became a dragon keeper because he liked the prestige it brought him. Maybe the ego that he fed over the years works against him when he has to cooperate with others to survive. There’s so many paths that can be taken with characterization, because individuals react to the same events differently.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011

My problem is that I can see the characters clearly in my head most of the time, but I find it hard to put them down on paper. My first hero was easier, because his emotions were all really obvious. But the heroine now is hard because she’s so quiet.

The whole weaknesses-are-related-to-strengths thing is realistic for the simple reason that it occurs in real life. I glanced at an article the other day that listed all kinds of basic personality types with their good and bad points.

For example, a person who is basically classified as “calm” has the advantage of not getting upset/worked up easily, but the disadvantage of becoming passive-aggressive/bottled up/so on.

• CommentAuthorAlyssa
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

I think that writers should focus on the flaws, really. I don't recommend throwing in random faults because it would make a character 'balanced' or 'well-rounded.' Well, no. I prefer the writer to work on the character's background instead of just putting flaws in a character for no reason. I've seen some threads before about writers who 'What flaw should I give this character?' I realized it wouldn't make the character any better than a Mary Sue. :/
    • CommentAuthorAlyssa

*shouldn't
    •  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Flaws are the best part of making a character! I don’t see how anyone could fall into this trap of a perfect character—the idea is just so boring. I love making characters a little twisted—each in their own way—and I love writing about why they ended up that way, and how these flaws wound the people around them and cause them to continously spiral. The best flaw, I think, is when a character has a really good trait but it just ends up making them worse in the end or hurting them. Basically making this wonderful awesome trait into the thing that damns them in the end. Love is the obvious when, since that’ll mess you up no matter what you do, and devotion. Loyalty, forgiveness if you keep letting people step on you, diligence because maybe you can’t bring yourself to change even when you have to, stuff like that. It’s such a waste to think character-flaws are hard and troublesome—they’re so completely fun!

I agree with the idea of making an advantage a disadvantage. It’s how character traits usually work for most real people anyways (very talkative people might be the life of the party and be very entertaining, but their inability to truly listen to others can definitely bite them in the ass later).

SMALIEN, if you ever rock up here again, I want to read that fanfic.

...if she doesn’t show up again, does anybody know where to get hold of her?

Well, with NaNo, this thread is rather relevant.

So far my character’s faults are being oblivious sometimes, which can make her accidentally mean or tactless. People do not find it adorable. She also has a lazy streak, an annoying need to always be right, and is, god help us, really uncoordinated. None of these things are considered cute.

My MC has anger management issues (not in the sexy, sueish way, in the “has actually killed people in fits of anger and this is bad” way.) And is completely emotionally unstable, but that’s probably because of the Bipolar Disorder.

Do mental disorders count as flaws?

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011

I’ve been thinking about this part of my MC for a while. I’ve been thinking of making him something of a daredevil/thrill seeker. He’s a younger character, so a) this type of behavior tends to get him in trouble a lot, b) he gets easily bored with mondane tasks and has to learn patience and diligence, and c) he does crazy stuff to get people’s attention and needs recognition/affirmation from people. Would this count as a flaw?

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited

I originally made this character for an RPG (7th Sea), but she’s starting to come into her own. She’s a bit over-the-top, though, and I’d like to know what others think.

She’s a brilliant engineer who posesses some Sidhe heritage (fairy/elf blood). She’s quite elfish in nature, being small and charming and agile, but also psychotic and a bit sadistic. She also suffers remnants of several Sidhe curses that are carried in her bloodline, such as susceptibility to iron (touching iron causes her great discomfort, but not quite pain) and being unable to cross running water without a bridge. The latter is interesting to play with. I loosely defined ‘bridge’ as something to stand on made of wood or stone, so boats count, but she hates water and suffers horrible seasickness. In a world where being Sidhe-blooded isn’t something you want to advertise, though, she has a hard time explaining her hydrophobia to people. So if someone doesn’t understand and tries to carry her over a stream, she’ll kick and scream like a little devil until said person either a.) drops her where he picked her up, b.) manages to carry her over (in which case she’ll suffer the painful consequences of the curse) or c.) drops her in the stream (she’ll either drown or go into a coma).

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Being a 7th Sea character, having hydrophobia would be really inconvenient.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Inspector and Fell, yeah, those do. Those sound like particularly crippling character flaws, IMHO.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Apep – I gotta say, when I read that, the first thing I thought about was “...they’re foaming at the mouth and biting people?” I always forget “hydrophobia” has multiple meanings…

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited

One thing I've been considering is that faults need not be a different set of characteristics entirely separate from each other where you have the brave, smart, logical hero that is counteracted by his/her's faults of cynicism and depression. Now the cynicism could be a result of logic and depression a result of it, but I still see them as separate or a list of positive attributes countered by negative ones. Rather, faults can simply be a failure to live up to the character's own internal set of moral code/ ideals and then having to deal with the fall out of that.

One of the hardest things I've written was making a pretty major character act cowardly (to the point of panic) while several others stood their ground. I found it so hard because cowardice is one flaw I've never really wanted on a main character, but it seemed the logical course of action. However, it's not that the character is cowardly as a whole, but in that moment they were. Which provides (I think) some interesting moments of re-evaluation/ self doubt for a character that up until that point has been the steady character.

Because I think a lot of our own flaws that we consider aren't simply things that we accept as 'just the way we are', aka I'm just cynical. But we recognize these as flaws because they are incongruous with how we want to be. So often we'll be a little inconsistent, sometimes consciously acting according to the ideal and sometimes defaulting on how we don't want to be.

(Edited for clarity.)

^^THIS. I don’t think anyone’s brought this up before. Everyone should read the above comment several times.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011

The MMC in my humongous epic fanfiction project begun last spring is an idealistic, originally shy and upbeat Paragon of Virtue who’s now a traitor, keeping his mind off the full scope of what he’s done by addiction to an ancient evil artifact that gives him just enough energy to keep going.

Yes, I’m torturing the absolute crap out of the poor guy and yeah I feel bad about it. It’s unfortunately the most purely character-driven work I’ve done to date and that downward spiral into absolute hell is the most logical path for him.

So I did know this on a subconscious level, but it’s great to see it in words. Hugely important and all-too-often forgotten concept. Sometimes we can’t see what’s closest to ourselves.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

Ink, sounds really interesting. That’s a crazy way to go with an MC, which makes it very intriguing!

I’ve got a mentor figure I’m working with. I’m trying to work some flaws into him, but not make them too obvious at the outset. I’ve kind of settled on having him be a very driven character who is out for revenge. He’s very patient and methodical, but he has chosen to step into some very grey areas in his search for his nemesis in order to gain certain advantages. This becomes a defining point in the MC’s development, since he has to decide if he want’s to follow his mentor’s morally grey path, or take a more noble (but more difficult and possibly deadly) road.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011 edited

bq. Writing characters is a lot like worldbuilding. There’s innate and acquired traits to worry about, environmental factors, the effects of whatever’s going on in the plot…I think it’s fascinating.

That's one area where, in my work in progress, I've tried to tie (probably more accurate to say "am trying to tie") worldbuilding and character creation together. I have a specific environment that calls for specific methods of survival, but different people are going to respond and adapt accordingly. Expand that as part of the _backstory_ in a branching history of the setting, and you can delineate certain character traits based on exposure, notoriety, or upbringing. One of my central characters was raised in the environment of the antagonists, was (for lack of a more specific term) "excommunicated", and adopted a different approach to conflict based on his study of his allies' former rivals as a result of his expulsion--who died many years before he was even born. It's an almost philosophical approach that forced him to rework how he thought and planned.