Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

Spanman, you live in Texas?

I like how you assume Texas is Redneckutopia. Regrettably, this is at least partly untrue. I live in Kansas City, Misery. And it’s a good thing I know lots of smart people IRL who think Twilight is a laugh, because otherwise I would have to go all alone. =( Which is no fun.

I like how you assume Texas is Redneckutopia. Regrettably, this is at least partly untrue. I live in Kansas City, Misery. And it’s a good thing I know lots of smart people IRL who think Twilight is a laugh, because otherwise I would have to go all alone. =( Which is no fun.

You know, I almost jumped on that point but then I saw something shiny and…

Uh… what were we talking about?

Seriously though, for our out of towner posters: “redneckutopia” can apply to a wide variety of states in the US. Texas is just an attention whore.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009 edited

Missouri isn't any kind of whore, but it's still a haven for rednecks. Especially the sort of rednecks who would rather die than live in Kansas, because it *gasp* was in the Union and therefore is a nest of vipers, city folk, and traitors to the Confederacy.

I am sorry, but you calling Missouri “Misery” sent me rolling on the floor. Yeah, I amuse easily:P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Old joke. :D

• CommentAuthorliadan14

• CommentAuthorliadan14

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heh, I always call Missouri “Misery” too… don’t worry, it’s not a reflection on the state or the inhabitants thereof, just that my family drives (DRIVES) to Mexico every Christmas for mission trips (and to see my aunt/uncle, who are missionaries) and Missouri is the longest state ever. Somehow it always seems even longer than Texas!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

No way!

Missouri is pretty though. D:

I’m offended that the first guess for redneckutopia was Texas.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m offended that the first guess for redneckutopia was Texas.

As much as you’d hate it, you must admit that there’s a good reason for that.

I have great news!

The scales have fallen from my friend’s eyes and he now sees Twilight as the crappy romance story it is.

It took a year and the movie to bash away his “guilty pleasure, okay story” excuses.

He realized, in his own words, “This book sucks. It doesn’t have any conflict. It doesn’t have a plot. Its just her gushing over Edward, for hours of my life I could have spent eating! Or designing [web sites]! GAH!”

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

As much as you’d hate it, you must admit that there’s a good reason for that.

I consider claims of that to be vastly overstated. Are there rednecks in Texas? Of course, but given how large and diverse the state is, you can hardly call that the norm. People who view Texas as some kind of monolithic culture are as incorrect as people who view the US as a monolithic culture.

That said, the “enjoy the great sport of football or GTFO” attitude is a pretty universal one here, even in Austin.

he

WTF

I’m in San Diego and I support the Patriots (only out of loyalty to the East Coast, not because I understand football in any sort of way). You can imagine the weird looks I get around football season.

Anyway, I refuse to shell out money to see New Moon in theaters. Maybe I’ll rent it and me and my sister can have a laughfest or something. I guess the lulz are worth $1, but not $10.

Which is why I am thankful for the dollar movie theater down the road. All popular movies, just two months after the main theaters release them.

Very good, Nate. Resist. :) You are stronger than you think.

I have a friend who may like go with me to see New Moon. But we’ve spent so much time hating it out loud I think our families would think we’re crazy for going. BUT....if we sneak in and they find out then they’ll think we’ve turned into fans and we’d be on the wrong end of jokes for eternity. Argh…there’s no solution.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I’m not helping, so ignore this.

Patriots? More like GAYtriots. The only football team I hate more than them is USC.

What’s wrong with USC?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

We have the Chiefs, who are mostly mediocre, and occasionally terrible.

Pete Carroll is an asshole and the sports media spends far too much time polishing USC’s collective pole. They’re perennially overrated and for the past several years have lost at least one game every season to random jobber Pac-1 school. Still, the pundits are going to be saying the same shit come December(“USC may have lost to a nobody, but they’re playing the best football in the country right now! What an injustice that they’re not in the championship game!”)

The best was the ’05 Rose Bowl in which they played Texas, where ESPN pretty much decided USC had already won a month before they even played, and spent the whole run-up talking about how the ’05 Trojans were probably the best team in history.

They finally play, and Vince Young puts on what will probably be the greatest individual football performance ever to lead Texas to the win, despite the fact that USC’s Reggie “Violates NCAA Rules” Bush won the Heisman over him.

It was awesome.

Umm… so yeah to get this back on track: Twilight sucks. Now who’s going to join me in seeing and sporking the movie? Must I suffer alone?

(also, for those willing, you can find torrents of premade rifftrax of Twilight 1 – all I ask is that you stop by rifftrax.com and at least chip in a few dollars to them so they can keep up the good work)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You mustn’t suffer alone. If only we lived close enough that we could experience the lulz together. Alas. I’ll certainly see it and spork it, though. XD

Heh, are we the only southerners around Spanny?

Do Southwesterners count?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

No, because Missouri is in the Midwest and I’m extremely offended that you could call it South, how could you say such a thing, I’m proud not to be a Texan.

I’m also touchy about a lot of things. :D

Anyway, yeah. Dunno of any other Imps in the vague Missouri-Texas vicinity. XD

EDIT: Uh, wait. You are from Texas, right? D: Or was that sansa? I’m so lost. =(

I’m proud not to be a Texan.

BLASPHEMY

Anyway, yeah. Dunno of any other Imps in the vague Missouri-Texas vicinity. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Northern Texas is rather large, so there shouldn’t be any worries. XD

BLASPHEMY

I laugh at you, sir.

The northern part is the smallest part thanks to the Panhandle, though!!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Even then, It’s like the size of Ohio so I don’t see what the fuss is all about. I would understand it if he lived in the Bootheel of Misery and didn’t want anyone to know, because that thing’s damn tiny.

I didn’t realize Misery had a bootheel. I should probably pay more attention to other states.

EDIT: Uh, wait. You are from Texas, right? D: Or was that sansa? I’m so lost. =(

Nope. In fact, my state has a bit in common with misery in that southerners consider us dirty yanks and northerners consider us backwards hillbillies. Even all the way back to the Civil War…

@Spanman

>Missouri isn’t any kind of whore, but it’s still a haven for rednecks. Especially the sort of rednecks who would rather die than live in Kansas, because it gasp was in the Union and therefore is a nest of vipers, city folk, and traitors to the Confederacy.

Huh? If it was in the Union, it wasn’t a traitor to anybody. Missouri, however, managed to be on both sides of the war at once.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

A WINRAR IS ME

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Rats, so close.

WW is close but sans gets the prize.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Huh? If it was in the Union, it wasn’t a traitor to anybody. Missouri, however, managed to be on both sides of the war at once.

You, sir, must live very far north.

Kansas was called Bloody Kansas right around the Civil War because the government was deciding that the Kansas territory was going to be made into a state, and everyone was making a big deal out of whether or not it would be a slave state. And so the Missourians (those scoundrels) hired people to go terrorise the Kansans into voting for slavery, and um, long story short, Kansas ended up in the Union and all the Confederates were pissed off. And, quite annoyingly, the rednecks around here who call themselves Confedederates are still bitching about it.

Anyway. Sansafro, I’m appalled. The Bootheel is important. There are vinyards there. They make wine which they proudly call Missouri wine, because even though they’re practically sitting in Arkansas, no one wants to drink Arkansas wine.

@Nate: I’m very sorry to disappoint you. I would never have guessed Kentucky. XD

>You, sir, must live very far north.

45 miles south of Saint Louis, actually.

>Kansas was called Bloody Kansas right around the Civil War because the government was deciding that the Kansas territory was going to be made into a state, and everyone was making a big deal out of whether or not it would be a slave state. And so the Missourians (those scoundrels) hired people to go terrorise the Kansans into voting for slavery, and um, long story short, Kansas ended up in the Union and all the Confederates were pissed off. And, quite annoyingly, the rednecks around here who call themselves Confedederates are still bitching about it.

So Kansas is a traitor to the Confederacy, despite never actually having been in it, and having always been a free state? Even though the only thing preventing it from being a free state was the massive influx of people from outside it?

45 miles south of Saint Louis, actually.

Bloody yank!

So Kansas is a traitor to the Confederacy, despite never actually having been in it, and having always been a free state only in spite of the massive influx of slaveholders?

To use a metaphor that might help you understand…
    Imagine you got into a bar fight with your brother standing nearby and he didn’t help you out. Upon confrontation, your brother points out he didn’t pick the fight nor did he promise that he’d cover your back if you did. But you feel betrayed anyway because he’s your brother! Family should always have your back.

It’s kind of like that.

@Willow: I only got it because he mentioned it in some other thread that I don’t remember which one it is now.

Anyway. Sansafro, I’m appalled

My bad. Despite having driven through your state 20+ times, the only thing I thing I really remember about Missouri is that I have a passing affection for your university’s football team. Even that though is only because Chase Daniel was their QB for the past few years(who is Texan).

Wait, I take that back. I think Road House was set there, and that was teh best movie ever made.

>Imagine you got into a bar fight with your brother standing nearby and he didn’t help you out. Upon confrontation, your brother points out he didn’t pick the fight nor did he promise that he’d cover your back if you did. But you feel betrayed anyway because he’s your brother! Family should always have your back.

Actually, both he and the guy whom I’m fighting are distant cousins of mine, and they’re much closer to each other than to me. And why am I in a bar?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

@ Dan: Sorry, I'm bad at civil articulation when it comes to these issues. XD Especially since everyone's still going on about them around here, over a hundred years later. Anyway, yeah. Basically, despite all the South's efforts to procure Kansas for themselves, it still became a slavery-free state (more or less), so yeah, there can be hard feelings about that.

Ah, so that would put you around Farmington or summat? *is bad with distances*

@Nate: Probably neither. Kentucky just so happens to be the state I most often forget about. Something about it is just very forgettable. D: Maybe because I've never known anyone from there? But rest assured that I won't forget it again.
    >Ah, so that would put you around Farmington or summat? *is bad with distances*

Actually, I'm more to the southwest. Saint Charles County.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

@ Sansa: Incidentally, I have no idea what you're talking about. XD What university is this you speak of? And um, Road House. Maybe I'll look it up.

Actually, both he and the guy whom I’m fighting are distant cousins of mine, and they’re much closer to each other than to me. And why am I in a bar?

You’re taking a crude metaphor too far Mr Wet Blanket. ;-)

Probably neither. Kentucky just so happens to be the state I most often forget about. Something about it is just very forgettable.

Nah, that’s our state security plan. Terrorists, zombies. godzilla – whatever, we plan on fighting by not having them think about us at all.

Kind of like Canada.

Mizzou of course. Do you have any universities besides it?

And there’s no excuse for not having seen Road House. None whatsoever.

Not even if a polar bear fell on you.

Not even if a polar bear fell on you.

In fact, that’s a recommended method for dealing with polar bears and cougars (the big cat or old lady). Tell them you haven’t watched Roadhouse and they’ll drag you back to their den immediately to watch it.

(note this doesn’t work for tigers, snakes or linebackers)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That's quite an effective security plan you've got there. I'm impressed.

I was going to say something really mean about how at least Canada has personality, but I decided not to.

>And um, Road House. Maybe I’ll look it up.

Elucidation

>You’re taking a crude metaphor too far Mr Wet Blanket. ;-)

On the contrary; I have improved it.

I was going to say something really mean about how at least Canada has personality, but I decided not to.

Well yeah… because whatever Canada has going for it, there’s French people up there to cancel it out.

Like the old joke:
    What’s the difference between Paris KY and Paris France?
    One of them can actually kick ass.

On the contrary; I have improved it.

You bring to my mind Jonah Goldberg’s article on metaphor.

“The reality is much more complicated than the metaphor.”

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Your choice on which of them actually kicks ass. But speaking of American cities named after French ones, there is such a place as Versailles, MO. And it is pronounced Ver-sayles. I'm not kidding you. I was angry for days over that one.

@sansa: Mizzou? Uh, okay. I guess that'd be the most important one. But of course we've got quite a few state unis, most of which I can't get straight in my mind probably because I don't intend to attend any of them.

Your choice on which of them actually kicks ass. But speaking of American cities named after French ones, there is such a place as Versailles, MO. And it is pronounced Ver-sayles. I’m not kidding you. I was angry for days over that one.

Same over here.

I mean in this state and pronunciation.

We have a London. Do you have a London?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Nope, no London. We do have a Marseille too, though.

We’ve got a Paris, too, and probably a bunch of other Euro ones. Those are kind of boring though, as there are some really bizarre original names for towns in Texas.

@Dan: The Agony Booth recap, while good, can’t possibly do the movie justice.

@Span: See, how can I know any besides Mizzou if you don’t know any besides Mizzou?

>The Agony Booth recap, while good, can’t possibly do the movie justice.

Would you have preferred a link to The Pirate Bay?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

@sansa: Good point. My mind has been muddled because since I live right on the border, everyone I know is crazy about KU and the Jayhawks. Laaame.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

Would you have preferred a link to The Pirate Bay?

Well, that’s the fastest way for her to watch it, but it’s possible some might have compunctions against such a method.

I’m far too righteous and high-minded for torrents, so I stick to Rapidshit.

@sansa: Good point. My mind has been muddled because since I live right on the border, everyone I know is crazy about KU and the Jayhawks. Laaame.

But they are quarterbacked by Kyle Reesing, who is also from Texas!

IT’S A CONSPIRACY.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

But they are quarterbacked by Kyle Reesing, who is also from Texas!

Since I’m not from Texas, I’m going to be coldhearted here and just say it outright: I don’t give a damn about football.

Whew. Good to get that off my chest.

I don’t give a damn about football.

More’s the pity.

This is a very late reply to Sansafro’s post (I wrote it up, but then my internet connection died).

This… got too American football-y on me. I know some people who have attended/are attending USC, so I just wanted to know.

Thanks for the information, even though it flew over my head like a peregrine falcon.

Spanny, I don’t either, except for my home NFL team- GO COLTS!

Peyton Manning is a football nerd, I wuvs him.

More like DOLTS.

Oh, you did not

Must….resist…football…flame war….

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Rugby > football

Cricket > baseball

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!

I will admit, rugby is fabulously violent. My inner cavewoman likes it- it’s so manly! Ah, pseudo bloodsports.

Must….not….flame…..

New topic! The Patriots are evil cheaters!

New new topic! Pujols never used steroids, and never will!

I thought we said we weren't to discuss religion on here....
    lol. *ducks*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I have lost interest in this conversation. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

You should’ve gone with GAYton Manning. There’s probably a way you can turn Manning into something gay-sounding too, since it contains “man.”

That said, I don’t mind the Colts, because they’re far too whitebread and bland to hate. Also Payton Manning calculates quantum mechanics in his head while calling audibles, amirite?

New topic! The Patriots are evil cheaters!

I agree with this 300%

No, Peyton Manning is a strategical genius. Laser rocket arm too. He calls his own shots, makes his own plays, goes no huddle, unlike others… cough Tom Brady! cough

Me too! Let’s discuss the hotness of Christian Bale- was he hotter in Batman Begins, The Prestige, or A Midsummer Night’s Dream?

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

More like Tom GAYdy if you ask me.

That said, I probably shouldn’t be engaging in that sort of shot, since people can call my QB “Ben RAPElisberger.”

I think I’m gonna make a separate thread for this since it’s really pretty off-topic here.

Me too! Let’s discuss the hotness of Christian Bale- was he hotter in Batman Begins, The Prestige, or A Midsummer Night’s Dream?

The correct answer: Equilibrium.

• CommentTimeSep 30th 2009

Never seen it :(

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

This is ridiculous.

No kidding puppet.

Willow how can you have not see Equilibrium? It has a gun battle from 2 feet away!

• CommentAuthorDamselfly

Good movie, not enough people have seen it.

I know, I know! I need to see it :(

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Apparently it has gunblades.

Apparently it has gunblades.

Actually it doesn’t.

And after watching it, you’ll think gunblades are for sissies.

Nah, just loads and loads of guns.

To be frank, I thought that it was pretty retarded.

That’s because there’s no joy or fun in your life, Dan.

You probably don’t even like Godzilla.

Gun-fu I heard. Never actually seen it though.

• CommentTimeSep 30th 2009 edited

Gun Kata. Come on, it even sounds awesome. I heard it’s impractical but looks amazingly badass.

Look at it….

>You probably don’t even like Godzilla.

You’re right. He’s pathetic next to Gojira.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009 edited

I’m in San Diego and I support the Patriots (only out of loyalty to the East Coast, not because I understand football in any sort of way).

YAY!

Patriots? More like GAYtriots. The only football team I hate more than them is USC.

BLASPHEMY!

I’m a good bit away from Massachusetts (home of the world’s worst drivers), but since we don’t have our own football team, everyone supports them. I get weird looks when I say I support both the Sox and the Cleveland Indians, and angry looks when they face off in the playoffs…

Sorry. I know this is an old topic. But I had to defend good ol’ N.E.

<3 New England. :D

Me, too. Well, I live there. But it’s pretty cool, if boring at times.

You’re right. He’s pathetic next to Gojira.

Ok, that was funny.

@Future Devin – oh so true. nothing beats the hotness of his shirtlessness in that movie:P

Come throw down in the sports thread, QT.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

We’re so awesome. From Twilight to the Civil War to sports in less than 100 posts…

Staying on topic is for chumps.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009 edited

Civil War to town names to football to movies.

There is a town named Hell in my state
    EDIT: You’ll need to put in Hell MI. to find it.

Hell’s main export is kitsch.

Ah, that explains so much…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009

There is also a town named Paradise, up in the UP. So come to Michigan! We’ve got Hell and Paradise!

We’ve also got Romulus and Troy and Bad Axe and Ypsilanti.