Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I just read this article about how siblings influence you. I only have a half brother. I rarely see him, and we’re not close. So I’m pretty much an only child. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I’ve always thought of it as good, but sometimes I wonder if I’ll miss not having a sibling when I’m older. So talk about your sibling experiences.

EDIT:
    I am trying to be closer to my brother though.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

Well, I’m a pseudo only child too. My siblings are sixteen and thirteen years older than me. Same parents, but big age difference.

To be frank, if you are related to me, I have a higher chance of possessing a low opinion of you.

My siblings are alright as people, really—I wouldn’t really know about my half brother, and admittedly, my sister is a bit immature and bratty, but she’ll hopefully grow out of it.

My brother has two sisters. He’s already learned about playground dates in middle school and what to do in a high school relationship.

My sister… we always try to be opposites of each other. We even mark off areas that are “ours”. Fanfiction was “mine” until she started writing it. Writing at all also used to be “mine”. Anime and manga were “hers”, so much so I am forbidden from watching Inuyasha without her permission. It’s slowly evolving into “she’s better at it, but I can try it” instead of “this is off-limits”, but we still bicker over how much of the bookshelf (and books within) are mine.

What’s ironic is that we wish we had each other’s lives. She’s popular but wishes there wasn’t so much pressure, I’m smart but a “geek” and an outcast from society. She’s taller and prettier, too, but I got a real boyfriend before she did (she thinks this is unfair – I point out that she still technically had TWO playground dates, which is two more than I ever had).

Yeah, I can tell you exactly how much we all influence each other. That’s my thing. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009 edited

I have a brother who’s a year younger than me and had similar interests growing up, which is a more difficult situation than it sounds like. I’m rather surprised I have kept in touch with him as well as I have when we were in colleges on opposite ends of TX.

I usually text him at least once a day, if only to call him a big gay homo. It’s my responsibility as his older brother.

Anime and manga were “hers”, so much so I am forbidden from watching Inuyasha without her permission.

Who wants to watch Inuyasha? Watch Gurren Lagann, and if she objects, ask her who the hell she thinks you are and then kick her ass.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009 edited

I will admit my older brother and I have many things in common, i.e. our general demeanours, sense of humour, particular opinions (although we differ greatly on many counts), but there are a few things I don’t agree with in this article, especially the jealousy one at the end. I don’t think I’ll ever be jealous of my brother, because our definitions of success differ so greatly. Also, he’s straight, which means no matter how attractive his significant other, I still wouldn’t want to hit it.

I have a brother who’s a year younger than me and had similar interests growing up, which is a more difficult situation than it sounds like.

No, it sounds difficult. Both my siblings have the difficult task of trying to beat my records, but my little brother is strange in the fact that he is, in some ways, actually succeeding.

I usually text him at least once a day, if only to call him a big gay homo. It’s my responsibility as his older brother.

But of course! I would do this to my sister, but she is also bigger and stronger than me. I am, however, completely able to put my brother in a headlock.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

See, you have siblings. I had a weird mix of siblings/pseduo-parents. My older sis used to annoy the hell out of me, while I have always kinda worshipped my big bwuther. I wuv my big bwuther. He’s like a giant teddy bear, only he’s a grizzly bear too. I miss him :(

I am the middle child, which I actually really love.

My older sister (three years older) is beautiful, funny, and really great to be with, but she’s had significant problems in the past, and now she’s working really hard to overcome them. So in that way I really do admire her. Plus, without her, I would not have the taste in music I have now, so for that I am eternally grateful to her. (And I’m taller than her!)

My younger brother (five years younger) is pretty smart, funny and obsessed with dinosaurs, Star Wars, and all things nerdy. He can be annoying, but he can also be really sweet. (Once when he went to Six Flags, and he spent all his money on a present for me and my sister) We squabble a lot, but we always make up five minutes later.

Yeah, my sibs are awesome for the most part. I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

No, it sounds difficult. Both my siblings have the difficult task of trying to beat my records, but my little brother is strange in the fact that he is, in some ways, actually succeeding.

Yeah, it’s a hard position to be in. On the one hand, deep down you want them to succeed and do well, but at the same time, you still want to win. My brother was a pretty decent athlete and fairly intelligent, but he wasn’t really on my level in either field. Fortunately for him I was (and still am) a tremendous slacker in all things that weren’t football, so he did end up with better grades than me.

He’s got a pretty short fuse, though, and my old man was even more hot-blooded, so between those two I turned out really mellow because otherwise we would’ve all been angry all the time. I don’t know how useful that really was though, because when I actually do lose my temper, it’s far worse than either of them X(

On the one hand, deep down you want them to succeed and do well, but at the same time, you still want to win.

This is especially true of me and my sister, because she’s had so many more difficulties than me. (She has ADHD, among other things)

Yeah, it’s a hard position to be in. On the one hand, deep down you want them to succeed and do well, but at the same time, you still want to win.

“B-b-but, I’m supposed to be the smart person in the family!”

Actually, this is a huge part of my personality. If I ever slip up, my parents threaten to ignore me and focus on the younger siblings and help them succeed and go to college. But I don’t want to be ignored!

YES!

Exactly!

They call me the ‘Golden Child’, you know. And then when my sister got a 100% on her stats final and I got a 98% on my trig final, I never heard the end of it!

Remember how I said my sister and I are completely different? One of those things we differ in is organization: she’s a folder whiz, the last time I organized anything was my bookcase, and that took hours because I’m very picky about order – it’s either perfect or not at all.

Of course, then I hear about how organized she is, and how on task she is, and how she always gets her homework done.

I’m the organized sibling, actually.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited

Me and my brother are both slobs. He’s way worse than me though, IMO. I at least keep my damn car clean.

@Willow: Don’t you count WHULLOW as a sibling? You two seemed so close, I think she deserved the honorary designation.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009

@ sansafro: Between me and my brother, I’m the most organised, even though I just have piles of organised chaos. BUT at least my chaos stays in my room and doesn’t spill out over the rest of the bloody house.

glares at older brother

And at least I open my window every now and then and thet my room air out so it doesn’t smell like a combo of “damp cheese shop” and “musty library”

glares at older brother

My sister has clothes all over her floor, and the bathroom is nigh impenetrable.

I leave my clothes on the floor of the bedroom to wear later. She leaves them all over the house in the hopes that they will migrate to the hamper.

XD

My brother is also an incorrigible snoop. He always tries to look at my writing, and of course I never let him see it.

My siblings want to write their own. My brother did have a good idea for a story when he was little, but any nine year old trying to write fanfic is a bad idea. My sister writes, but she has me read it to critique it, then complains that I always say something is wrong. Or, since I always find fault with it, I cannot say I like anything she writes.

I have an older sister, and she’s probably what I would consider to be my best friend. She’s four years older than me, but somehow, the age difference doesn’t seem to be very evident when we talk amongst ourselves. I admire her a lot of ways, and in a lot of ways she can get annoying, but she’s still probably the best person I know. In fact, in my life, she’s probably the easiest person to talk to. She started off writing, and then I slowly warmed up to the idea. Now it’s me doing most of the writing because of lengthy college aps, but she’s always there to lend an ear, or eye.

Wow, that sounded more like an essay than a post, but I’m being completely honest. ;P

• CommentAuthorliadan14

I have a big sister. She’s five years older. We used to argue all the time, but it never took us long to make up and these days we only fight about serious things. Sometimes she gets really judgemental and condescending, which annoys the hell out of me, and I tend to work very hard to not be her. She was the one who started writing, granted, and I copied, but I was eight at the time, so…

Sadly, she’s very snobby when it comes to pop culture. She refuses Supernatural, BtVS and AtS…and she’s slightly anti-fanfic.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I have Sly, a younger brother and a younger sister. I think Sly helped me mature a lot fast then my age, I used to hang out with him all the time (and I still do :P) so I was used to being around people a few years older then me. :P MY younger brother can be nice and fun to be around with… but sometimes he takes things to personally or overreacts, and my sister can also be nice, but I noticed after she watches all the cartoons she’s a lot more violent.

He put you up to this for karma, didn’t he?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

xD

Sure, you could say that.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I have two younger brothers, five and seven years younger.

But I’ve noticed that I have a strange mix of their personalities.. one is very talkative but quite intelligent, while the other is shyer and struggles in school. I’m shy and intelligent, but there are a lot of other things that all of us share personality-wise.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I have an older and a younger brother, two years to either side of me.
    We also do the thing where we have “our” own things that the others can’t do, but this usually applies to particular franchises and series.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Guys, can I please have the Award for Most Siblings on II? Please?

Anyway. I have six siblings. Five older, one younger. They all definitely had a part in making me who I am today. Because we were all homeschooled, we had to be around each other all the time. It wasn’t as bad as it could have been, because most of us are pretty laid back (myself and my olest brother were the peacemakers of the family). Actually, it was awesome. Since there was always a rather diverse crowd at home, all of us have learned extreme patience and tolerance. At some point or other, all of us were doing all the cooking, cleaning, teaching, and adventuring together, and having a blast. We used to live in the huge old farmhouse on all this land with these ponds…

Yeah. So all of my older siblings have moved out now, leaving just me and my little sister at home. Our personalities are completely different but we manage to coexist very nicely. It helps that we’re both prone to being sarcastic all the time. :P We read Harry Potter, go to movies, draw terrible fanart that we would never show to anyone else, and watch lame British shows together on a regular basis. :D Even though she’s younger than me by more than three years, we can now successfully fool people into thinking we’re twins. Yes.

Even though she’s younger than me by more than three years, we can now successfully fool people into thinking we’re twins.

Happens so much between me and my sister, even though she’s prettier than me, and I’m taller.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

My little sister is taller than me now. D: But our faces and body types are similar enough. Even though she’s blonde and I’m brunette.

Even though she’s younger than me by more than three years, we can now successfully fool people into thinking we’re twins. Yes.

Happens so much between me and my sister, even though she’s prettier than me, and I’m taller.

Same here, ‘cept she’s taller. Not helped by the fact that my mom used to dress us alike, and we wear the same clothes anyway because we share a room. It’s also completely nonsensical, since my nose and eyes are bigger, I have glasses, she has braces (I used to, too, but not while she had them), she is taller and sturdier, while I am short and very slim, her hair is a different color… WHY DO PEOPLE THINK WE’RE TWINS?

People always managed to think my brother and I were twins when we were younger, which made no sense because I was always taller and bigger than he was(and still am). We didn’t really even look alike beside hair color… and maybe eye color? I actually don’t know what color his eyes are.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

People always tell me my sister and I look alike. They mix up our names all the time. Which is uncalled for given that we have basically no defining features in common- she’s brunette, I’m blond, my eyes are bigger, her nose is straighter, her face is more angular, she thin, she has freckles…the list is endless. Endless, I tell you. And still, people claim we look exactly alike.

My sister is shorter, prettier, curvier, and people still insist that she looks like taller, ganglier, stick-thin me.

My sister is shorter, prettier, curvier, and people still insist that she looks like taller, ganglier, stick-thin me.

You just copy/pasted that out of the first fanfic you read, didn’t you.

Actually no.

XD

It’s a whiny thing to say, I suppose, but mostly true.

Prettier is debatable, especially if I actually bothered, but she is shorter, curvier and I am taller and ganglier.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Spanny, you and your younger sister look freakishly alike. oO

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That’s what you think.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

One brother, five years younger. He wears gym shorts, wallet chains on the gym shorts (no wallet) and a fedora. He spends his days on Newgrounds and calls me a nerd because I like to write. He looks like my mother, while I look more like my father- six feet, two hundred pounds, glasses, brown hair. We both have pretty radical political leanings but I'm a libertarian fiscal conservative statist and he's a damn commie. The brother is rarely seen as related to me. I avoid it.

Wallet chains on gym shorts? O__o

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

...wait…

....have you been stalking me?

<<
    >>

It tells me that you’ve been tagged in a photo! And I can’t resist! D:

Also because right after you said that I went and double-checked. ;D

Well, I do have to really good friends, who are brother and sister, and they’ve always been like siblings to me. The boy is a year and a half younger than me, and the girl is four and a half years younger. She’s very mature though, for the reasons that Puppet mentioned. She always hung out with people that were my age, so she acts at least three years older than she really is.