Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Well, since we are all determined to be mature and post more writing-related discussions, I’ll throw this out there.

I’m winding down a scene in which my stoic male lead’s facade finally breaks down to the point where he and the female lead can get it on once. I’m just going to do a fade out for the actual sex, but the setup for it is about five times longer than I expected. Anyway, as I was writing it, it struck me just how difficult it was to portray a serious emotional shift, especially in a romantic direction, without the whole thing degenerating into sappiness or melodrama.

So, the point of this thread is to talk about ways to write such scenes without them turning mawkish and fruity.

Discuss.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

Humour?* Awkwardness? Realism?

*Lotsa sarcasm. Lotsa, lotsa sarcasm.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I usually prefer to brainbelch (i.e., stream-of-consciousness writing) from one charactrer’s perspective, and then edit and clean up afterwards. The difficult bit is getting into your character’s mindset and making it convincingly them in such a personal form, which is where the editing comes in.

Also, I write the same scene out several different times, and sort of go with the best one, because each time you write something off the top of your head, the words come out differently and the images are a bit different oir in a different order, and of course each succssive time you write you start to narrow your focus and get a clearer idea of what you’re trying to write.

*Lotsa sarcasm. Lotsa, lotsa sarcasm.

Ha ha, that’s would I do too. ;)
    I find romantic scenes especially difficult to write, and I find that my stories are usually better without the romance. Angst usually works out a lot better for me, but then I tend to go melodramatic, which honestly, isn’t much better. Something that I think really helps is reading the passage aloud; you can get a feel for the drama and the emotion this way, and you can also figure out in what tone your character is speaking. (more or less)

I usually prefer to brainbelch (i.e., stream-of-consciousness writing) from one charactrer’s perspective, and then edit and clean up afterwards. The difficult bit is getting into your character’s mindset and making it convincingly them in such a personal form, which is where the editing comes in.

I rather like this. It seem like most reasonable readers would forgive you even if you cross the line a little, as long as it’s done in a way that’s still honest to the character.

Something that I think really helps is reading the passage aloud; you can get a feel for the drama and the emotion this way, and you can also figure out in what tone your character is speaking.

This seems like a good idea too. I’d almost go as far as saying it would be even better to have somebody else read it out loud, just so you can see how somebody who isn’t you interprets it, since you understand your own intentions enough to color your view of it.

I’d almost go as far as saying it would be even better to have somebody else read it out loud

But the problem occurs when one is secretive about their writing, as I am, and don’t let anyone else read it. But yes, idealy, it’d be better if someone else read it aloud so that you can see what their interpretations of the passage are.

But the problem occurs when one is secretive about their writing, as I am, and don’t let anyone else read it. But yes, idealy, it’d be better if someone else read it aloud so that you can see what their interpretations of the passage are.

Me too X(

The few people I do share it with live, at minimum, halfway across the state. Still, would be a nice thing to try at some point. Maybe WW will have something like that XD

I’m always paranoid that my emotional scenes are sappy. So I do this: If I’m too embarrased to read it aloud to my best friend (and we’ve talked about some REALLY embarassing things), then it’s probably too sappy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m worse at emotional scenes than anything else. It’s too easy for me to use the purplest of words to explain the characters’ feelings. I’m getting slightly better, but I still cringe when I read them. This is why I’ll never get published; I’m even too embarrassed to let myself read what I’ve written. D:

That’s funny; my words are never purple enough, so a kissing scene would go a little something like:

She kissed him. He leaned in and deepened the kiss, wrapping his arms around her neck.

Wow, that’s actually worse than usual if you can believe it. But I’ve never actually made out with some one, so this may have something to do with my un-purpleness.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Quick! Go find someone to make out with before your writing is permanently affected!

Except not really. I doubt kissing someone would really help your kissing scenes in the long run, if non-purpleness is the only present problem.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited

Quick! Go find someone to make out with before your writing is permanently affected!

Yes, mashter.

Eh, its not that big of a problem, as long as you don’t get into detail.

Yeah, the word ‘saliva’ in a kissing scene always makes me gag… ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Ew why would anyone ever use that word ewewew

What’s wrong with the word? I mean, in a kissing scene, yeah, but when you’re discussing what that annoying baby covered you in…

Yeah, she meant in a kissing scene.

But I’m uncomfortable with it too…there’s a scene that I’m planning on which is supposed to be romantic (I haven’t written it yet), but I’m afraid of making it laughable.

I think the main thing is to make sure that the dialogue isn’t laughable.

Ex: ‘You are my life now’.

BLECHEHCHHHHHHH

Mushy is a no-no.

“Take care of my heart. I’ve left it with you.”

But I’ve never actually made out with some one, so this may have something to do with my un-purpleness.

I have gotten close to making out with someone, but never actually have. Kissed, yes. Although I’m sure my description of kissing would be something like this:

He turned to her in the dim light, and there was a slight moment of hesitation from both of them before he pulled her toward him and kissed her. After a few moments, he pulled away. She tried not to gasp or sit there with her mouth hanging open, but her lips and tongue were tingling so badly that she couldn’t help it.

I draw on personal experience.

Unfortunately, all my romantic scenes, in fanfiction as well as original, try (and hopefully succeed) to be realistic in their portrayal of crushing, and the moments leading up to to the romance are good, but the actual romance is sappy. The problem is, I’m slightly cynical about romance (I’m not one of those girls who is convinced she is in love with her boyfriend, for example), and I take everything with a grain of salt. So my romance tends to be that way, or so sappy you can print out the pages and use them as topping on pancakes. I simply haven’t had enough experience (one relationship, and that was after my debut romance fanfic) to write love realistically.

I find that romance is like horror. Which is scarier: the monster you see or the monster you don't?
    Show less, not more and you'll keep your audience in suspense and *hopefully* in your book.
    That's my take anyway.

I understand that romantic scenes need suspense (I have a saying about that that I will not reveal here). And I also believe in fluctuation – Ron started out hating Hermione, then being friends, then arguing, then being friends, then dating someone else, then hugging her, then arguing, and then, finally, in the final book, they get together. But drawing a curtain in my mind is an unfulfilling climax, especially if it is written in the POV (or third-person limited POV) of the characters in question. Then it’s just disappointing for your audience.

But drawing a curtain in my mind is an unfulfilling climax, especially if it is written in the POV (or third-person limited POV) of the characters in question.

I don’t quite understand what you mean. Could you elaborate a little further?

I feel like a whore, now. Thanks, guys.

Why?

“I haven’t made out with anybody.”
    “I’ve been close to making out, but never been kissed.”
    And then there’s ME.
    >:(

No guy has ever even been interested in me, let alone for making out.

How do you feel NOW, Dante? Huh, huh, huh?

(just kidding)

Like a member of a douche-society.

XDD

Win, Snow White Queen.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009

Ouch! That one’s gonna hurt come winter…

Aw, you shouldn’t. This is a douche-free zone, for the most part.

Anyway, we’re getting off topic.

Can anyone post an example of a really good love scene if they have access to one?

Like a member of a douche-society.

Don’t sell yourself short. You could be at least a mid-level officer.

That means I’m a leader among douches.
    Oh, and Literotica.com has quite a few romance scenes.

Good ones, Dante. The word ‘erotica’ makes me wary.

You just need to know where to look. There’s one about a couple in Boston, and the guy is the keyboardist and vocalist in a bar band. It’s quite interesting actually, and the romance took so long that I forgot that I was finding sex scenes >.<

I was finding sex scenes

Oh ho ho! Incriminating evidence!

And if that means what I think it means, then ha ha! Blackmail material.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited

Yeah, I went there and found this awesome one with an elderly lady and these three midgets…

edit As for more about the thread topic, I am now having to write the aftermath of the scene in the OP from the female lead’s PoV and it’s decidedly sappier than the setup. I’m hoping it’s mitigated somewhat by

A) the character herself has a romanticized view of sex and relationships in general

and

B) I am going to rain on her parade quite a bit by the end of the scene.

Still, fingers crossed that the reader doesn’t laugh or vomit or something. Although we have established that there’s not much collective experience in this thread, I would appreciate any supposition from female users about how girls tend to view it after the fact.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009

I’m going to copy-paste some old advice from a friend about writing established romantic relationships (for example, husband-wife), because this is pretty much the best advice Ive ever recieved about emotions in writing:

Gene:
    well, from where I stand, love, in its purest form, is an innate comfort in the company of another there are no barriers you’re terrified of crossing, there are no hidden rules you are afraid of stumbling across there’s just honesty

so, generally, people won’t talk about romance at all they will talk about the most mundane, everyday things, because the point of the conversation isn’t what they are talking about it’s that they are talking to each other

I don’t quite understand what you mean. Could you elaborate a little further?

If an audience has been waiting and waiting for a couple to get together, and then we draw the curtain on them before they see any gory details, two things happen:

1. All the people who have waited for this moment, only to be spared any kissing, etc., will be disappointed and revolt using fanfic. Hatemail will most likely ensue.

2. All the people who want the characters to go with different people will be happy that there isn’t any hard evidence of the pairing (the fact that you wrote the two characters together usually means you want them to be portrayed in that way, and not with different people), and will celebrate with fanfic.

Ah, I see.

@TakuGifian: That is great advice. I tried to base a lot of my ‘romance-building-upping’ on dialogue, and the two people involved just hanging out and talking. It might be boring to other people, but I can change that in subsequent drafts.

so, generally, people won’t talk about romance at all they will talk about the most mundane, everyday things, because the point of the conversation isn’t what they are talking about it’s that they are talking to each other

This times a million. I just want to punch characters who sit there and tell each other how much they love each other.

cough cough Twilight cough cough

So how do you portray this contentment with just being together without boring a reader?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009

I think it’s more about body language and facial expressions than it is about dialogue. And little details that people still notice, but don’t pay heaps of attention to, like a familiar scentor the way someone’s hair reflects the light. Sure, ‘new love’ might make a big deal of these things, but ‘established love’ will notice them and then move on.

Yes, don’t overplay love that has been established. You don’t hear Rowling explaining Harry’s content for Malfoy, it’s already been explained.

You mean ‘contempt’, right?

Yeah, typically when characters in fiction shill and yammer, I usually assume the opposite of whatever they are shilling and yammering about. If it’s about love, I assume they’re really insecure at best, and not in love at all at worst.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

True. I mean there is something wrong if the couple must declare their undying love for each other in every scene they appear in and wax some lyrical nonsense about how their love withstands the test of time.

I like writing emotional scenes, though I haven’t tried any romantic ones yet. Mine are mostly depressing like someone dies or something. I think romantic would be really hard.

I find romantic to be a lot more difficult than death. Actually, I think I find positive feelings to be a lot more difficult to write than negative ones.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009

I’m the exact opposite.^^ ;P

Having just finished writing one with a number of negative emotions(the male lead tells the female lead that sexing her was meaningless to him, and he doesn’t care about her beyond the extent his job requires him to, from her PoV), it does seem easier than positive emotions, if only just barely.

It seemed like it was easier to create “proof” (can’t think of a better word at the moment) that the negative emotions were an appropriate response, but I still found myself asking the same questions as I did when writing the positive scenes. I just switched “Is this too sappy and melodramatic?” with “Is this too emo and melodramatic?”

All you can do is write it and see if your readers cry NAAAAAARM or not.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009

"You were like my brotha Anakin! I loved you!"

"I HAAATE YOUUU!"

It really bugs me; whenever I start what I think is a light, happy story, it always turns into a whirl of melodrama and emoness. ‘Tis indeed trés annoying.

@ Morvius- the prequels have so much narm they’re almost a comedy. XD Fun to sit and laugh at though.

Question: what book has well written emotional scenes?

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009

I don't see how a book can be good if it lacks well written emotional scenes. None really spring to mind right now... oh well, I shall give a predictable answer. The A Song of Ice and Fire series does it quite well. I liked the part where Catelyn was grieving over Bran and Jon was paying a visit before he left for the Wall. "It should have been you."

Oh yeah, that part was very well done. I really hated Catelyn for a few chapters because of that scene. ;)

Standard predicable answer: Tamora Pierce. (Who saw that coming?)

Her Circle series lacks romantic feelings (beyond the more-than-friends of Lark and Rosethorn), but the Tortall series has Alanna and Jon/George/Liam, Daine and Numair, Aly and Nawat, Kel and Cleon/Neal/Dom… all of these skip the “I love you!” “I love you, too!” moments (at one point she even mentions that Kel and Cleon have never said “love” or “marriage” to each other, since they know he is betrothed), but it’s still very clear that they love each other anyway.

Actually, I think I find positive feelings to be a lot more difficult to write than negative ones.

^^This.

@ SMALIEN: But Kel and Neal and Kel and Dom didn’t love each other. Kel just had crushes on them. Whereas Cleon and Kel were in love.

For my part, I always end up crying when I write sad stuff. Maybe that helps.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

Steph: It's just like with comedy ... if it can't make you laugh then you probably shouldn't put it in front of an audience.

I just wanted to add the following: One of the worst moments related to sex I ever read was in a hard (heh-heh) sci-fi book, Limit of Vision (about nanotechnology), by Linda Nagata. When a couple of characters finally got it on (bow-chicka) she kept it brief and undetailed, but actually tossed in an allusion to a blossoming lotus flower, which struck me as ... just bad.

Anyway, whenever I've done an emotional scene (like someone breaking down) I like to keep it more to someone's perspective other than the one having a breakdown.

But… but… lotus flowers are a wonderful metaphor for… um… that.

@ Lotus metaphor: I feel like my country’s nation flower is being blackened :(

I agree that emotional scenes you write should make you emotional (weee)
    Sex is never dominant in the romance part of my stories (primarily cause i keep the love on the ‘innocent and sweeter’ side), though it is hinted at

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

I’m here a bit late, but I’ll just contribute this link to the discussion.

Here’s a pertinent excerpt.

Narrative writing sets down details in an order that evokes the writer’s experience for the reader, she announced. This seemed obvious but also radical—no one had ever said it so plainly to us. She spoke often of “the job.” If you’re doing your job, the reader feels what you felt. You don’t have to tell the reader how to feel. No one likes to be told how to feel about something. And if you doubt that, just go ahead. Try and tell someone how to feel.

We were to avoid emotional language. The line goes grey when you do that, she said. Don’t tell the reader that someone was happy or sad. When you do that, the reader has nothing to see. She isn’t angry, Annie said. She throws his clothes out the window. Be specific.

I haven’t read the article but only the excerpt, and I do prefer using verbs to represent emotions, makes the entire scene smoother and gives it more impact

Kinda like:
    He broke down and fell upon the floor, sorrow swelling in his heart in immeasurable measure and tears poured forth from his eyes like the river of [add river name].

VS

He fell upon the floor sobbing uncontrollably.

And

Sorrow seemed to pulse through his veins and flow into his heart as he lifted his hand and bid his sister farewell. The weight of sorrow weighed down upon his heavy hand and wave of his heavy hand seemed to increase the pulsating sorrow. A false smile masked his sorrowful sorrow filled heart as he saw the carriage disappear into the yonder. (!)

VS

A peaceful, calm but false smile masked his face while he bid his sister farewell. The lifeless smile remained on his face as he saw the carriage disappear into the yonder. He did not move from there for a long time.

NOTE: I did not indulge in some Pao bashing there

Of course, we do need to avoid Narm.

I like to keep it more to someone’s perspective other than the one having a breakdown.

I like to write from the perspective of the one having the breakdown most of the time, though sometimes I prefer to watch from afar. I usually just stick with whatever the main character is experiencing/seeing.

I have trouble writing romance-type stuff. Any advice?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

immeasurable measure

:D I loled.