Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Because it has no thread.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited

Arrg, how do I change the category?
    EDIT: I’m tired.

Weird, I thought we had once. (must have confused it)

Anyway it rocks and I can’t wait for Peter Jackson to release his adaption of it.

I cant wait to see what are all the dragons going to look like. That is one of the things I like about this series – there are different kinds of dragons, bred for particular sets of abilities. which is so fresh and fascinating – each country has their own breeds, they are not generic “dragons” which is what you get in most dragon – based fantasy

Ah empress, stop trying to make me love you. ;-)

I also liked the fact that Naomi actually went to the effort to explain why Temeraire is mary sueish (yes there is a cannonical reason) yet his captain is so extraordinarily… ordinary. Right down to his name “Wil Laurence”. Plus her site’s pretty nice with a link and set up wiki.

We should also set up how far everyone’s read before we start ranting. I’m caught up completely myself.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

Coincidence of coincidences, I just bought Temeraire today. It’s that good…?

Why are you on the internet and not reading???? Go read!

Yesss! Go! It will blow your mind! Hopefully:)

And I forgot one thing – this series has Volly. Nuff said.

@Nate – I am sorry, it is too hard for me to not to be alluring XD

And I forgot one thing – this series has Volly. Nuff said.

I thought you’d have a mad crush on Tharkay.

@Nate – I am sorry, it is too hard for me to not to be alluring XD

I knew it! Empress is a vampire! Get her!!!!

Woah, I can’t believe I haven’t read this… I NEED TO GET IT.

I am all the way through Victory of Eagles.
    The one thing that bugs me,(small bug) is that the Aviators seem very modern in their actions and speech.
    Yes RVL, read it. NOW.
    I like that most of the dragons have no special combat abilities, it seems a little less fantasy-like. And the longwings are awesome.

The one thing that bugs me,(small bug) is that the Aviators seem very modern in their actions and speech.

Part of it is probably a bit of the MST3k mantra. I think another part of it is the conceit from the author that the situation of the aviators is one that would force modernity onto the world a bit ahead of schedule.

@Nate – Tharkay = epitome of awesome. you have no idea how much squealing on my part ensued when he showed up. hint – i nearly got evicted:P

Tharkay = epitome of awesome. you have no idea how much squealing on my part ensued when he showed up. hint – i nearly got evicted:P

You want him and I want to be him. I think we just gave the shippers lots of fuel.

Spoiler:

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’ve never even heard of Temeraire. D:

[gasp] Away from us spanny! Until you have redeemed yourself and are fit to reenter this glorious land.

(nah just kidding, seriously go pick up the first book)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Okay!

Anything, as long as I remain unshunned. D:

The first book is His Majesty’s Dragon, right? I have it right here.

You are correct!

And why are you not reading?

Spanny, if you can’t afford the paperback ($6-7), give me your address and I’ll mail you my copy.

Whoa, Nate Winchester: apparently generous.

I don’t know why I’m not reading. I haven’t gotten past the first few pages. It picks up, right? Hmm. I’m just being lazy/whiny. Yeah, I’ll go.

I don’t know why I’m not reading. I haven’t gotten past the first few pages. It picks up, right? Hmm. I’m just being lazy/whiny. Yeah, I’ll go.

=O

Let’s put it this way. Do you remember Eragon? How it was paced?

In His Majesty’s Dragon:
    Egg found – Prologue
    Egg hatched – Chapter 1

How much faster do you want it? (although a lot of book 1 is devoted to world building)

I was just being lazy, I think. :P

How much faster do you want it?

I probably didn’t mean it that way. I’ve looked at it again, and I thought, “Wow, how is this beginning not interesting?” Starting on a bloody ship. I must’ve been mad.

I probably didn’t mean it that way. I’ve looked at it again, and I thought, “Wow, how is this beginning not interesting?” Starting on a bloody ship. I must’ve been mad.

[Lays windmere onto a couch and puts a cold compress on her forehead and fetches her a glass of water]

There there dear. Just rest a moment and it’ll pass. Can I make you some chicken soup?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Thanks for the generous offer, Nate, but as it happens, in my present circumstances it is within my budget to afford a paperback book (more than one, however, will likely wound my college fund). Besides, it’s not within your interests to send me your own copy for free, since no doubt it will become immeasurably valuable within a matter of a few years. Any book from Nate Winchester’s library, as soon as he is famous, will be worth it’s weight in gold.

I’ve never heard of this series…looks like I’ll have to check it out. Especially if PJ’s doing an adaptation for it. :D

Who’s it by, so I can find it easier?

Here, just buy this SWQ.

If I can’t find it in the library, I suppose I’ll have to…

Usually I go first to the library, because I don’t want to buy books unless I know I’ll like them. cough cough Eldest cough cough

Clearly you have not heard of my crusade.

Trust me, at the very least you’ll want to buy the books to encourage Novik over Paolini.

True true…

I suppose I could cajole my daddy into buying them for me. :D

Or when I go to India, maybe I can get them super cheap!

I like how on the Temeraire cover his upper body is as massive as a flying predator should be.

“Enthralling reading—it’s like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon’s Christopher Paolini.” —Time Magazine”
    This makes me sad.
    My brother says “Someone shoot me now.”
    This is unspeakable depravity.

That’s a little sickening.

“Enthralling reading—it’s like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon’s Christopher Paolini Napolean.” —Time Magazine”

There Time, I fixed it for you free of charge.

“Enthralling reading—it’s like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon’s Christopher Paolini Napolean Napoleon.” —Time Magazine”

“Enthralling reading—it’s like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon’s Christopher Paolini Napolean Anne McCaffrey.” —Time Magazine”

There Time, I fixed it for you free of charge.

There I fixed myself.

claps once

No, not Anne McCaffrey. She is not that bad, but it just does not compute.

@Nate – Great going:P Although I never had my own shippers before:D There are stil few months to go before the Empire of Ivory comes out here. What can I say – the publishers only buy what sells and they only bought Temreaire after Eragon became such a great hit. Disgusting, but I am kinda grateful. If they didnt, I would never have read the series. So even though done for crappy reasons, good things do come this way from time to time:) But how much longer is it going to take? I want to read Victory of Eagles so baaaaaadly:( (OMG THARKAY)

Where are you Empress? Can you not order the books from Amazon and get them already?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

So what is this about, exactly?

A novel series about England fighting Napoleon.

With dragons.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

Hm.. sounds interesting.

I kind of wander between Czech and Slovak republics. But all the other books I have in Czech editions and I hate to break the set. also, Amazon is often a bitch and shows me a big middle finger when I sometimes try to order things: “Sorry, but we cannot ship this item to your country”. ugh.

Awwww. I can’t argue with your set preservation. I’m still 1 harry potter book short because I was waiting for soft back (now it’s out I just need to pay for it).

Maybe someone should tell Amazon the berlin wall is down?

As a bonus, the Dragons are not magic, and some of them spit acid. Yes, they spit acid that dissolves almost everything.
    Acid spitting dragons=Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009

Do they have long-winded, poorly-worded, pseudo-scientific arguments?

I don’t think they do. They have the dragons discussing some concepts (like Temeraire teaching his wing-mates math and they are quick to get it but argue with him over “parallel”) and these don’t go for very long. You might call some of them pseudo-scientific but I think anything dealing with that is true to the time period and the scientific thoughts of the day.

I’m a bit late in mentioning this, but you guys do know that the first book is available as a PDF, right? That’s how I finally got around to reading it.

[will be buying the series as soon as she can afford to as a result]

Wow, I will definitely check it out, then!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009

hocrap.

Thank you.

No problem.

The farthest that they go in pseudo-scientific talk is actually somewhat possible-having sacs of gas to reduce their weight.

Well that’s the author’s explanation but thankfully she holds off on the details to avoid getting into problems.

May be a little (or a lot) off – topic, but if you are curious about dragon physiology, then dragons: a fantasy made real is an animal planet documentary which explores the anatomical issues very, very thoroughly. Not that I have a promotional poster for the special hanging over my working desk at my old room or anything:P

Curse you empress! I wonder if I can put that on my christmas list….

will this do?

http://rapidshare.com/files/55034217/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/55037058/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/55812257/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part3.rar
    ttp://rapidshare.com/files/55804899/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part4.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/55819575/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part5.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/56651952/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part6.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/56663027/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part7.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/56666516/Dragon_s_World-A_Fantasy_Made_Real.part8.rar

Yarrr!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009

Or just youtube. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybcmYcQN5U

...or that may work just as well:D

plus, it would not get you into the legally gray area:P

Where’s the fun in that?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009

I saw that documentary.
    But when I did, it was called The Last Dragon, had a different narrator, and told the story of a palaentologist who believed in dragons, to the amusement of his colleagues, but who was vindicated when a preserved body was found in an icy cave. As the team of scientists discovered more about the body, the programme would switch to the Walking with Dinosaurs style CGI sections shown here on Youtube to illustrate how it worked.
    This one seems to have been editted considerably.

But the point is that it shows how they could have existed like they do in legends.

Big deal. The Chimaera “could have” existed, but we haven’t found any lion skeletons with snakes for tails or goat heads.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

It’s fun to pretend, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

Pretending is all I have. The world would be a lot more grey if I didn’t have my imagination.

Exactly!

sigh I know what you are talking about

I forbid this thread to go off topic.

That could be….alright. I doubt that he will look anything like I imagine him as. I opted for the feline-serpentine form instead of the uber lame drawings that were at the back of HMD.

Is Victory of Eagles good?

Angel, you need to read it.

Spoilerish bit to tempt you.

The next book, Tongues of Serpents is coming out July 13. Here is an Excerpt.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited

Dammit, I remember that Intuitor: Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics used to have an article on the Christian Bale movie “Reign of Fire” that discussed how certain aspects concerning dragons could and could not work. It ‘s been pulled from the site, though and is only available in their book. A pity, as I just got interested in writing a story involving dragons.

A wrote a review of her short story here. It’s not explicitly stated but I am willing to bet it takes place in the same universe as Temeraire.

As for dragons in general… no, they might not work exactly but then… so what?

There were books in the series in India, but not the first one, so I didn’t get any of them.

!?!?

What series?

See thread title.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010

The first book is (or at least was, I haven’t checked lately) available free for the iPhone/iPod Touch through the Stanza application. I just haven’t gotten around to reading it yet.

They were never in India.

=( you have my deepest sympathies

They were never in India.

Yes, they were!

When? I remember China, the Ottoman Empire, and Africa, but no India.(At least no books set there.)

Wait, are we talking about the story taking place in India, or the books themselves being available for sale in India?

Oh…

Uh, yeah, I was talking about ‘for sale in India’. Sorry about the confusion.

Tongues of Serpents is out, I’ll have it in after the library’s ordes arrives. :-)

I love Temeraire it is my other fanboy fandom. : )

Everything about it is just so. . . right.

I was looking for the first book in the library today. It wasn’t there, unfortunately.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010

SWQ, you can legally download a copy of the first book from here :D

REALLY?! You are my new favorite person.

How awesome is Novik for allowing legal direct downloads of her first Temeraire book on her official website? VERY. She gives us pirates one less thing to worry about :P

ITS MIIIIIIIIIIIIINEEEEEEE.

<.<
    >.>

^Wasn’t me.

CRUCIBLE OF GOLD IS OUT ON MARCH 6 2012!!!!!

Let’s throw a party and revive this thread. :D

Cool!

I have to say I wasn't impressed with ToS and so I'm hoping this will be as good as the first five(?) were.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited

ToS was really short the first time through, but I just reread it and it was better than I remembered, but I would say that it is the weakest of the six that are out. Nothing much happens.

Edit, here’s the website for the books, with the prologue of CoG

Excellent!

Oh good! Now I can start on the next book and get it out of the way. =D

So, how many people have read Vici? I liked it.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

I have, considering I own a copy of the anthology it was written for.

Read it? No, what would make you think I had read it? ;-)

To keep this thread going until the next book comes out: What is your favorite book so far? And, what do you think is the best book?

bq. What is your favorite book so far? And, what do you think is the best book?

Black Powder War all the way, man :D