Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

"Read":http://www.examiner.com/x-4908-Twilight-Examiner~y2009m8d19-Enough-with-the-Twilight-tween-bashing-media-antics-already?#comments.

And here's a puke bucket. You might need it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited

Um… doesn’t she realize that those bullet points were SATIRE? As in, NOT REAL?

So, unfortunately, it has to be said. Twilight fans are not stupid.

I am above the remarks I could make.

They are not a definite sub-class or counterculture.

Um… I beg to differ.

They are a diverse group of people, including highly intellectual men and women

Really? Like who?

men

lawl

^^I really doubt that many men read the books. Some boys do, but adult men? I hope not.

So, perhaps a bit of the same, stooping medicine is in order to heal these wounds: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

Really? So no one can talk about Twilight or its fans unless it’s to say how marvelous the franchise is and what intelligent people they must be?

I don’t think that all Twilight fans are stupid, just the obssessive ones who are in love with Edward.

Um… I beg to differ.

And you haven’t differed.

Really? Like who?

How about the woman who wrote the article you just read? I’m not saying there aren’t a lot of insane tween in love with Edward, but there are Twilight fans who are smart and such.

Also, was that message by ‘Rock’ written by you, Rocky?

• CommentAuthorRocky

It was, in fact.

Get off your high horse.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

They are a diverse group of people, including highly intellectual men and women

Really? Like who?

Smartalien, you are talking like you don’t believe there are any smart Twililght fans. While we haven’t encountered many fans that can type very well, or present very good arguments it doesn’t mean that they aren’t intelligent people IRL.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Get off your high horse.

Сделайте мне.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ehh, I must confess, although it is fun stereotyping Twifans to be 13 year old girls, it does make me uneasy sometimes.

It’s Inheritance all over again…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

The really, really, over-the-top ones, I think, do tend to be younger, in general.

But I also know sensible, older ones who are fans, but can see the faults. They will fangirl—but they’re not the sort to go running and screaming and stalking RPattz.

It’s Inheritance all over again…

Really? I never saw any Eragon shower curtains…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I found this badge on DevianArt, made by a fan, here’s what she wrote:

Yes they do exist lol

i’m one of them

its sad that the people that outwardly admit to being a fan are the idiotic psycho fans that pretend to be married to edward and the rest, genuinely think that vampires sparkle, think bella’s character was genuine, get overly offended by people showing how stupid they are, and think steff meyer is the best writer in history

... i know it could have been written better, but i just dont care

please feel free to flame me though… i find it amusing when people show such intense hatred for something that they can easily just avoid

use it if you want

twilight and all its characters do NOT belong to me…

if they did then all the characters would be more realistic…

and bella would have an iq over 30

Edit: here’s the link:

http://darkmangachick.deviantart.com/art/Intelligent-Twilight-Fan-Stamp-115427474?offset=40

Not all Twilight fans are stupid. That is one example.^^

^^See, I don’t mind the sane ones… I actually like that icon thing.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Too bad they aren't _all_ like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Too bad not all ImpishIdea users are intelligent…

Too bad not everybody in the world agrees about world peace…

• CommentAuthorRocky

It's too bad all the critics aren't intelligent, either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

And this could go on forever.

I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t have forever, so quit with the sniping.

“God must love stupid people; he sure made a lot of them.”

-Unknown

It’s too bad all the sansafro187s aren’t intelligent, either. Can’t stand those assholes.

^^Lol.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

There’a little too much emotion involved in the writing of that article, enough that it gets a bit whiny. Otherwise, I don’t really have a problem with it. Twilighters can defend themselves any way they wish, but it doesn’t change much.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

The prose in this article is just awful. Look at it.

To add insult to the injurious sentiments carried by the article (in essence, a suggestion that the collaboration is a “ridic” marketing decision), the writer proceeds to characterize Twilight fans in a derogatory light. She makes a haughty list of deleterious assumptions about the nature of the Twilight fan community, which, amongst other things, contains the following “predictions.”

“A haughty list of deleterious assumptions”? I’ve seen Christopher Paolini turn better phrases.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

shrug I don’t really think there’s particularly over-much of a problem with Twilight fan-bashing in mainstream media anyway, so what’s the article writer’s problem? I think she’s making a mountain out of a molehill- or, at least, a small pile of dirt out of a slightly smaller pile of dirt.

That being said, I’m not upset or anything by the article, because she does have a valid point- not all Twilighters are Twihards. It’s just that the vocal ones (a group primarily made up of the 13-year-old girls in love with Edward who don’t know proper Internet etiquette) are almost exclusively idiots. I know several perfectly intelligent people (well… OK, I know one) who has read Twilight and, while she’d be the first to say they have severe problems, likes them.

(a valid point, I say… even if she was just a wee bit too whiny for my tastes)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

To add insult to the injurious sentiments carried by the article (in essence, a suggestion that the collaboration is a “ridic” marketing decision), the writer proceeds to characterize Twilight fans in a derogatory light. She makes a haughty list of deleterious assumptions about the nature of the Twilight fan community, which, amongst other things, contains the following “predictions.”

There are… lots of big words in there. Trying a little too hard to prove a point, are we?

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I know several non-idiotic fans as well. That doesn’t mean the stupid ones don’t deserve to be made fun of.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heh, for some reason I’m reminded of the “Bella is Smart” comic…

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Link please?

• CommentAuthorRocky

What frustated me about that article is the way she made her point. She starts off detailing fan-bashing from "media outlets" and then quickly devolved into a general criticism against _anyone_ with _anything_ negative to say about Twilight. She insulted you all and this site. Even with the sporking that takes place here, you all know how and where to draw the line.

But still she jumps online to lump you guys (not me, I haven't even read the books; when I mentioned those that can criticize intelligently, I was referring indirectly to you all.) into the same group as the mindless bashers. That ticked me off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

Mmm… I disliked the following sentence:

To add insult to the injurious sentiments…

I dunno. It stood out to me.

In terms of the actual content, though, I think it`s valid to a certain degree. I will bash the blind followers who push their beliefs on me. While doing so, if I stereotype with the term ``Twilight fan`` or anything of the sort, the stereotype is aimed at those specific people, not the intelligent fans. I`m pretty sure any intelligent Twilight fan will be able to distinguish between themselves and the media`s perceived Twihard norm. Their self-esteem should be intact.

Being perceived as a Twilight fan shouldn`t really affect social interaction all too much, either. I don`t think I`ve ever disliked someone on the basis that they like Twilight. It`s not really much of a factor (the obnoxious behaviour that occasionally accompanies being a stereotypical fan, on the other hand…).

As a result, I don`t really see much of a point to this article. There`s not much of a downside to being an intelligent Twilight fan

Edit: And I guess that means I won`t stop the bashing on the Twihards…
    Edit2: Aw Rocky, hearing you call the II community intelligent makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside ego boost

She has a valid point. It’s true that not all Twilight fans are under 15 and madly in love with Edward Cullen. They’re out there, but I don’t think they’re the majority. However, it’s the crazies that stand out.

And I think that we should have the right to criticize the books if we want to, or snark as long as it’s not really that mean . Stereotyping fans of Twilight is different. If I do meet a Twilight fan, I won’t instantly dislike them. I’ll engage them in a bit of friendly debate, but in the end it doesn’t really affect how I treat them.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I think they actually _do_ represent the majority. I mean, is there some other logical explanation for the last MTV Movie Awards?

Twilight winning Best Fight over The Dark Knight?

I attributed that to solar flares.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

You`ve got to be kidding me. There`s no way that Twilight could have won best anything. ESPECIALLY not best fight.

This is blasphemy… this is madness!

Best Kiss…that’s understandable, since it’s a romance…or supposed to be one.

But Best Fight? With The Dark Knight as its competitor? How is that even possible?

What?

I was coming into this thread to admonish people for flinging arbitrary intellectual measurements around, until I saw this. Now, I just don’t know what to say.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Best fight nothing. Twilight won best _film_.

Over The Dark Knight?

I’m sorry, but the Joker would totally beat Edward in a fight. At least, a fight of scariness, because Edward is not that scary at all.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It’s MTV. Did you seriously expect anything more from them?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

MTV always panders to cultural irrelevance. :P

• CommentAuthorRocky

Except....those sparkles are _blinding_ ARGH.

Ok, I was willing to live and let live…

But you just F* with the goddamn batman!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

This is…just…seriously. No. Why? How?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Insanity. Mass insanity. Also, didn’t someone say once that they figured the appeal of Twilight was due to drugs being rubbed in the pages? Maybe they release hallucinatory drugs into the air at theaters…

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited

Probably because none of the fights in The Dark Knight revolved around TWU WUV.

*retch*

I like how the diehard fans are offended at how they're being "stereotyped" into a "cliche" image. Explain to me again the story you're reading???

Smartalien, you are talking like you don’t believe there are any smart Twililght fans. While we haven’t encountered many fans that can type very well, or present very good arguments it doesn’t mean that they aren’t intelligent people IRL.

Oops, sorry. It wasn’t the intellectual part I was responding to, it was the “men and women” comment.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

To be fair, the Dark Knight didn’t really have all that many fight scenes. TDN had awesome action sequences, but the actual fisticuffs between Batman and the Joker weren’t all that elaborate.

To be fair, the Dark Knight didn’t really have all that many fight scenes. TDN had awesome action sequences, but the actual fisticuffs between Batman and the Joker weren’t all that elaborate.

Silence!

Well they were fairly realistic and quick. Still, the scene where Batman is fighting BOTH the bad guys and the SWAT team and trying to keep anyone from dying has got to be one of the best moments in moviedom EVER.

Twilight? To quote the rifftrax guys: what you saw there is the same as you can see every day in professional wrestling.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Except, when wirework was necessary in The Dark Knight *the characters actually used wires*.

?

Twilight? To quote the rifftrax guys: what you saw there is the same as you can see every day in professional wrestling.

Except the WWE is hilarious.

Except the WWE is hilarious.

What do you mean? I found Twilight hilarious.

I was the same. I laughed for approximately 90% of the film.

I haven’t seen it, so I don’t really know how funny it is.

I kind of want to watch it just for the hilarity factor, but I haven’t seen it yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

“Hold tight, spider monkey.”

The line so lame, even the Twi-hards hate it.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. ?

Batman using his grapnel gun. The trickery they used for the fight in Twilight is easy to spot: wirework and sped-up footage.

Oh here you go everyone – again. Just click on “watch a sample” on the side to get a taste.

Professional wrestling really takes some athleticism, though. I like RPattz but I can’t imagine him executing a proper suplex.

But I thought it wasn’t real!

Has Robert said anything else interesting lately? Any more Twilight bashing?

But I thought it wasn’t real!

Of course it is staged, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t hard as hell to do properly. Not a that I’m a fan anymore(it was called WWF back when I liked it) but I think that’s a pretty unflattering/unfair comparison.

Has Robert said anything else interesting lately? Any more Twilight bashing?

Not that I know of. He’s probably realized the fans are far too dense to pick up on his feelings toward it, and decided to see it through to the bitter end. I guess we will see if he starts doing more interviews in the run-up to Twilight 2: Twilight Harder here in a few months IIRC.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Will someone explain how Jacob is somehow a shapeshifter and _not_ a werewolf when the second book in the series is called NEW MOON?

I think she simply didn’t plan ahead.

If he’s a shapeshifter, can he shift into other things? And why isn’t he a werewolf?

• CommentAuthorRocky

Because, as Windy stated, she didn't plan ahead.

I made a comment on the trailer for The Wolfman about how that was how werewolves should be done (in reference to Twilight), and a fan was quick to enlighten me to the fact that Jacob wasn't a werewolf at all, but a shapeshifter. I called bull, but never got a response.

Of course, Jacob's just as much a werewolf as Eddy is a vampire. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

I think Weremeyer is the correct term.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Legend speaks of men who transform into Mormon housewives on the night of the New Moon to convince their spouses, daughters, and sisters that real men sparkle.

^^Lol.

• CommentAuthorRocky

"Not everything that drinks blood is a vampire, nor everything that is undead, or indeed charming and appealing. Furthermore, a creature that sparkles under sunlight is undoubtedly not a vampire."

--Unknown
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

Because I’m a loser and I read the whole series, I can answer this question. In New Moon Jacob becomes a werewolf and he and his comrades are called werewolves throughout the entire series. Except that once, somewhere, one of the vampires mentions that real werewolves that actually turn into wolves only at the full moon only live in small numbers in eastern Europe, and the Quilete are just shapeshifters who just so happen to turn into wolves instead of, say, armadillos.

I kept waiting for the moment when they would say that the vampires aren’t really vampires but instead living, carnivorous crystals.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

So, if “werewolf” is a generally-accepted term for them in the books, what’s the problem? And didn’t I read something somewhere about SMeyer saying that she doesn’t like them being called that? Or was that just the internet lying to me again? That damned internet is such a jerk.

Also, were-armadillos would be awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

She'd better not mind when people call them werewolves, because she did it herself quite often. Pfff. Internet.

Beware the moon!

Armadillo Cloak is hella OP.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Smeyer mentioning "shapeshifters" once in the _entire_ series doesn't convince me one bit. That's a shoddy attempt to shake things up.

Especially since it happens really late in the book. Oh, wait…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I think she must have been trying to cover that she had allowed the wolves to shift whenever they pleased in the book before. Convenient, but not accurate. So she explained it away in the next book so she could continue to have them change at will.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

Although, I don’t see why she couldn’t just make all werewolves able to shift whenever they want, with the stipulation that they must shift on the full moon. A lot of werewolf/vampire books are like that… they’re capable of shifting all the time, but they actually have to on the night of the full moon.

I think that if she had done that, the story would make more sense and be less convoluted.

Ok, I don't know if anyone has mentioned the biology boo-boo that is in Twilight. Now, I'm going off of second-hand information but I am under the impression that partway through........Eclipse? New Moon? Well, there's this bit where it is cold and Bella is getting hypothermia, and Jacob tells her "Imma woof, I have higher internal body temperature, so I'm less sensitive to cold. I shall cuddle you to keep you from freezing."

This is biologically incorrect. If he has a higher body temperature, he would be suffering from hypothermia WAY before Bella. Now, it's true that he would be able to keep her warm, but he would probably be dead pretty darn soon. Ex. Kittehs: kittehs have rather high internal body temperature, I'm told. Somewhere around 102ish degrees. This is why they are lovely to snuggle. But this is also why they are surmised to be desert creatures and why they like to sleep in the sun. Critters with higher internal body temperatures survive better in hotter places. Creatures with lower internal body temperature are better-suited to colder temperatures.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited

My basic understanding is that the warmer I am, the colder everything feels. I got sick one summer out here (it was almost hypothermia, actually) and went swimming with my family, who were all going on and on about how nice the water felt.

I wasn't in ten seconds before I started shivering.

Convenient, but not accurate.

Because she cares about accuracy with other myths sooooooo much. It’s not like she’s inaccurate with oh, I don’t know… VAMPIRES!

I’m just sayin’, the shapeshifter thing sounds completely irrelevant since she’s never cared about accuracy before.