Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

My personal opinion: it’s an amazing feat of technology, but a huge travesty. Yours?

Agreed. My dad got one and I absolutely refuse to use it. crosses arms Hmph.

I mean, reinventing the BOOK? Sure, you can go on about being respectful to the book, but at the end of the day, you’re still trying to make it obsolete.

And why do they have to be so damn THIN? It makes it look like you’re not getting anything. The whole point of books is so that you can look really smart whilst reading huge tomes!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009

I have a Sony e-reader.

I love it, I’m gonna take it with me to Uni so I don’t have to drag along 90ish books by Applegate.

Also, loads of free books included with it.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Unless it comes with a Smell-Of-New-Book feature, not buying.

Hey, it saves paper, doesn’t it?

I don’t have one, but if it’s saving trees, it can’t be all bad.

if it’s saving trees, it can’t be all bad.

I suppose that’s true… sigh It’s not all bad…

I have no use for the Kindle. I read e-books on my computer, and I have no reason to take more books than I can carry when I leave the house.

@Snow White Queen

>I don’t have one, but if it’s saving trees, it can’t be all bad.

What difference does it make if it “saves” trees? You do realize that paper mills plant more trees than they harvest – you might as well stop eating bread in order to “save” wheat.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Blech. I’m still not abandoning my good ol’ books. For one thing, I like being able to flip through the pages to randomly read snippets. For another, as Rocky said, one of my favourite parts of books is how they smell. E-books don’t smell like books, dammit. ;_;

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ditto.^^

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I love the scent of books. My friends all think I’m nuts, but I could never give up real books because I love their scent too much.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I know what you mean.
    Books don’t smell as good as freshly-opened trading cards, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Nothing smells as good as a brand, spanking new videogame.

that should come along with Steam each time you buy a game.. a release of that smell through your computer. it would drive gamers crazy

You do realize that paper mills plant more trees than they harvest

Really?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I read e-books on my computer

I read books when I eat, just about to go to sleep or just woke up, out and about in school… not at my computer. I feel it traps me.

I can’t read large blocks of text on a screen. Mostly I skim, unless it’s really worth it.

Seconded.

@Snow White Queen

>Really?

Yeah. Do you think that they want to run out of trees?

That’s true…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009 edited

@Dan:

Ethical tree farming? Not found everywhere. Anyway, you’re focusing on one issue of the value of e-book readers: the trees. However, one has to take into account that books generally would incur more environmental costs, for one thing, you have the transportation of said books around the country, lorries which use good ol’ fossil fuels.

Sure, you have the initial impact of e-books, but they can be re-used again and again and again.

(If you want to also blame electricity, I say, get a portable solar panel, it’s nifty, which reminds me, mine’s probably charged up by now).

Will I ever buy e-books for mine? No, probably not, I like the actual feel and look of books (I’m shallow), but yes, if I can get free e-books, then I will. And, like I said, I will use it for my massive collection of Animorphs/Everworld/Remnants. Because it saves space in what I’m sure will be a very small room.

Besides, they are a lot easier to read on than laptops. I find it impossible to read on laptops for any great length of time, but the screen of my Sony is lovely.

Also, when you’re feeling lazy, it’s so nice to be able to press a button, instead of shifting your arm to turn a page. XD Sounds bad I know, but when you’re curled up in bed, and want to stay under the covers… ah. It’s nice.

It just doesn’t feel the same.

No doubt it’s pretty cool technology, but I’m not shelling out 200 quid for the e-book reader at Waterstones. It’s also just not as satisfying

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I lurv the feel/smell of real books, but… a Kindle would be so convenient! Besides, that way I can read my smutty romance novels without anyone seeing the books lying around my room (and without the librarians giving me funny looks).

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

XD

Nice, Swenson. I suppose it does have those uses.

Um. Okay… but you’d have to buy them. At ten bucks each. (more if you’re not on greenbacked currency). They don’t have Kindle libraries, and you can’t return used ebooks.

That’s definitely the biggest problem with digital transactions: no refunds.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

Steam will give you refunds, if you’re cool enough. :D

Well yeah, but it’s a long, drawn out process. My original purchase of Bioshock was completely screwed up: I payed for it, but the game never made it to the my games list. I had to re-purchase it and wait for a refund, took like a week and several emails and stuff. Meh. I think there’s something wrong with Steam if you use Paypal (sometimes when you return from Paypal you don’t get the “Install this game now!” thing).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

Well, unless you just download them without paying for them…

Steam is just awesome in general. Besides, it proves one of my favorite economic theories- lower prices and sales go up!

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited

It has a very flawed offline mode though.