Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

What books have made you want to throw them against a wall in anger/frustration?

For me, it’s gotta be War and Peace.

Why?

1. Andrei dying, only to be not dead, only to die anyway!

2. I ship Sonya/Nikolai. That is all. Stupid, stupid Nikolai going to marry that stupid other chick. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, for reasons that will make me depressed and angry all over again if I repeat them.

The Man Who Laughs was worse, Spanman, because it was set up to be a happy ending, and then Hugo killed every off for no reason

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Anything by Neal Stephenson. They are incredibly amazing, but requires a longer than lifetime commitment to read and fully understand them.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

1. Andrei dying, only to be not dead, only to die anyway!

I will ditto that to the infinite power.

I wanted to throw the book at the wall. GAAAAAAAARGH. DAMMIT, YOU.

Also, Andrei was my favorite. That didn’t help.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

aww, now I know that he dies. =|

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Elizabeth Gaskell’s Ruth. I love Gaskell, really, I do, but Ruth was the most annoying character ever to crawl across the face of fictitious 19th century England.

And Inkdeath. It started well, it really did, but then she had to go and ruin it…

And Robinson Crusoe, because it really doesn’t deserve the ‘classic’ title. Same in lesser amount for Gulliver’s Travels.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

A Tale of Two Cities, because that was a godawful book.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

David Copperfield, see above.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009 edited

Como agua para chocolate (or, in english, Like Water for Chocolate). It’s supposed to be a classic piece of latin american literature, but I just couldn’t get over the main character. Tita: a stunningly beautiful teenage girl, whose cooking causes miracles (magical realism) and two men fall passionately in love with. The book asks me to believe that Tita is oppressed and miserable. Granted, she did grow up with a borderline abusive mother who forbid her from marrying, but that doesn’t change the fact that 1) she’s stunningly beautiful and 2) that every magical element in the story seems to be working on her behalf. The focus of the story is always on her suffering, even though there are people around her who have it way worse than she does (often because of the magic).

• CommentAuthorliadan14

I quite liked the early parts of Like Water For Chocolate. Around the chapter where the recipe was matches I got a bit bored, and Tita wasn’t the most interesting character ever, but still…

The Telling Pool, Clement-Davies. Worst Excalibur book ever. Worst Crusades book ever, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I quite liked the early parts of Like Water For Chocolate. Around the chapter where the recipe was matches I got a bit bored, and Tita wasn’t the most interesting character ever, but still…

For me, it was the blatant unfairness of the magic. Like, when Rosaura couldn’t feed her newborn child and the family couldn’t find a wet nurse, what happened? Tita’s magical breasts began to magically flow with milk, and the child end up loving Tita more than his own mother. That nearly made me throw the book against the wall. And, for some reason, Rosaura was always blamed for marrying Tita’s love interest, while the love interest himself is blameless (even though he agreed to marry Rosaura specifically so that he could be closer to Tita). No me gusta las Mary Sues.

A character named “Tita” has magic breasts?

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Yep. And her meals trigger orgies on occasion.

O_O

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

And sexing her makes a man die of pleasure.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

That part cracked me up. As did the rose quail scene. That was probably why I liked the book, it was all about food and sex, with little to no remaining plot.

No, but the sisters were my favorite characters.

And anyway, Tita’s bodily functions are highly illogical and strange.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009

Brisingr met my wall on several occasions. At some points, once per page.

My sister read Brisingr before me, and I was always asking her what was happening. She told me about him meeting a god and all that crap. So after about two weeks I finish the book, and I have no recollection of a god. At all. That’s how much I was paying attention. So yes, I think Brisingr counts as a ‘frustrating book.’

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009 edited

Wasn’t the god supposed to be Doctor Who? I facebooked when I read that bit.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. The writing is superb. The story is a let-down, and that’s putting it lightly.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Wasn’t the god Doctor Who? I facebooked when I read that bit.

No, the God was a dwarf god, although it appears to the alert reader that it was more of an illusion or mirage. The Doctor Who reference was a line of desciption or dialogue (I forget which) ripped either directly from the show, or from a fanfiction of the show.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

Ah, that explains it.

Harry Potter four. SPOILERS

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

The Odyssey. Seriously. I even skipped most of it, and I still got bored. Why? Well, there are 24 books in it, and all the interresting stuff (i.e. everything between Troy and Ithica) is in books 9-12. And even then it gets boring. Why do I need to know the geneology of all the dead women Odysseus meets in the Underworld?

are you trying to read it for fun, or are you under death threat by a teacher to read it?

The story is fun, though, if you cut out all the boring stuff.

In the seventh grade, we watched a seriously weird movie of it…I wonder how it got past the school. o.O

I watched a movie rated R in 6th grade with my class. ‘Twas a very… interesting experience. O_o

We got to watch the old school R&J movie in my 9th grade English, complete with about 1.5 seconds of underage Juliet boobs. Of course, that was preceded by what I swear must have been an hour of Romeo walking around the room bare-assed.

We saw the new one, with Leo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. There were times I wanted to laugh, which was probably not the intent.

We watched the new one in 7th grade IIRC. I just don’t know where they got a hold of the sheer volume of drugs they must have smoked to make it.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Melodrama does that. But, anyways, pick a harlequin romance novel. Any harlequin romance novel. Particularly in the “forced to marry” series.

A Tale of Two Cities, because that was a godawful book.

Aw, I had PSL for Charles Darnay. Every other girl in the room thought I was insane for not liking Sydney.

The Franco Z version is my favorite, even though Leonard Whiting looks like Zac Efron. But Romeo high on drugs…? Huh…?

Also: any romance novel that spends more time on plot than on romance. All the plots are the same anyway, so why do they bother?

You would know?

even though Leonard Whiting looks like Zac Efron.

JUST AS PLANNED

My grandma owns a few. No, I am not kidding.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

My mother has entirely too many. Seriously. I used to steal them to read as a kid. This is probably why I’m so crazy.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009 edited

I saw the same one as sansafro. Yeah. He looks like Zac Efron. And that bare ass scene went on way too long. The whole time I was sitting there thinking about how much I don’t want to stare at his butt.

Oh yeah, the Zac Efron lookalike. I remember him. (Luckily for us, when we watched bits and pieces of the Zefferelli version, she skipped that part.)

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

The Satanic Verses is one of the most frustrating books ever. The prose is so purple it's almost poetic.

And I have to analyse the book in reference to a particular literary theory (feminist, marxist, queer theory, psychoanalysis, etc.). It's so horrible.

And that bare ass scene went on way too long. The whole time I was sitting there thinking about how much I don’t want to stare at his butt.

Then you do not want to look, er…

Oh yeah, the Zac Efron lookalike. I remember him.

What does it say about my class that they all thought it was Zac Efron?

Hey, it’s understandable, even though the movie’s obviously too old for it to be him. I hate Zac Efron and even I could see the resemblance.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

Tailchaser’s Song by Tad Wiliams.
    1. The main character goes through ALL OF THIS FREAKIN’ DANGER to find his girlfriend, and the ingrate said “I like it here. I’d rather eat 3 times a day, lay in the sun, and always be warm than live in the forest.”
    2. The cat is young, yet he speaks like he’s graduated from Oxford. I mean, he would be our equivalent of a street urchin, yet he talks like he owns the place.
    3. An epic fight between immortal cat brothers, spanning countless years through time.
    4. The main bad guy is an obese cat who can hardly move, yet he fixes all who gaze upon him in terror.
    Other than those very frustrating points, the book was pretty enjoyable.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

Katzenwinter (Dunno the english title. Cat Winter, possibly), by Wolfgang and Heike Hohlbein. The book can be summarized as follows:
    1) Look, a random kitty in the snow.
    2) OH NOES! The motorcyclists in black cometh!
    3) They will kill us. We must hide, but really, there is no hope!
    4)...Oh, look. They’re gone again. Whew, that was lucky.
    5) Well, we’ll have to think of something better next time, we’ll never be that lucky again.
    6)Oh, look, a random kitty in the snow.
    7) OH NOES! THE MOTORCYCLISTS IN BLACK!
    8)They will kill us, there is no hope.
    9) They’re gone again. Look at that.

Repeat about ten times.

@Un-Dante’d

>3. An epic fight between immortal cat brothers, spanning countless years through time.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!

Heart of Darkness

Kurtz is dead… wait, no he’s not. He’s just dying. No, no, he is DEAD. Oops, sorry, he’s alive, but he sure is sick. No, wait! We haven’t even met him yet! Now we are where he lives, and he’s dead apparently. Wait, no he’s still alive. Now he’s sick and dying. Now he’s actually dead. “The horror! The horror!”

Brain explodes

Wait, I forgot to mention one of mine. I couldn’t finish The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman.

It was just… hangs head The “romance” irked the frick out of me. I mean, the male character kept going “Ah, she is so perfect and awesome and affectionate and generous and wonderful” ad nauseam.

Granted, it was months since I read it, but still.

Sometimes a Great Notion

I might go back and finish it. I’m not sure. They just kept switching perspectives and time frames, and each perspective and time frame was in italics or quotes or indented strangely, and it was just so confusing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Wait, I forgot to mention one of mine. I couldn’t finish The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman.

Yeah, that was the worst one imo. =|

Frankenstein

I will say, I didn’t really give it a fair chance. I didn’t really want to read it, and then I started, and it was this really dull letter about sailing. Then I flipped thorugh some pages, and the letter was really long, so I stopped reading. I didn’t want to read about sailing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It gets better.

(I think. I only read an abridged version.)

Aww, well. Maybe another time.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

I dunno. Frankenstein kinda pissed me off. First aforemented endless letter on sailing, and then Frankenstein is a total idiot. If you ask me, the whole monster situation is entirely his fault and what does he do about it? Whine. Unconstructively. I am restraining myself, I already spammed about this when I read the dumb thing (I also probably spammed Elanor, so it’s no use repeating the process)

Shadowmarch by Tad Williams

Why?

675 out of 750 pages in: “SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!!! KILL SOMEONE!!! FUCK SOMEONE!!!!!!! JUST STOP STANDING AROUND DOING NOTHING!!!!!”

Oh, look, a climax – wait, the paragraph is over. tough break. read the next book.

and then the book flew across the room.

I am glad I am not the only one infuriated with Williams awfuly long – winded and BORING style of writing:)

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

How about post-Three Musketeers Dumas? a) he didn’t write most of it himself, and b) Twenty Years After. Argh. Okay, I read it when I was eleven so I may have been biased, but seriously? 100 pages of telling us what happened in the last book, 500 of running around France talking to people and 100 of actual plot.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009

@liadan14: I forgot to ask about this:

And Inkdeath. It started well, it really did, but then she had to go and ruin it…

What ruined it for you? All I can remember is the inordinate length and the rather stupid Dustfinger thing.

b) Twenty Years After. Argh.

X
    Aww, but…but, I like that one!

Dustfinger is by far my favorite character in the “Ink-” series.

I honestly despised all of them. Really, I did. I really love Cornelia Funke (she gave the world The Thief Lord, and for that I am eternally grateful), but Inkheart and Inkspell and Inkdeath… urgh. The only thing I remember of distinction in the book is that “Band-Aid” was given a specially page to tell people that it was copyright and the name was used with permission, and Capricorn’s death scene, where he “fell down on his face and his black heart stopped beating.”

Yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009

I didn’t like the pacing in them, though I blame some of that on it being translated.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I read Inkheart fairly quickly (mostly because I liked the idea: stuff coming out of books you read is awesome to a nerd like me) but I had Inkspell for ages. I didn’t even bother with Inkdeath because it was even longer and I had lost faith in the series quite a bit.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I didn’t like the pacing in them, though I blame some of that on it being translated.

Yeah, same. It always seemed to go so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly. Inkheart, as Northmark said, I also sped through pretty quickly. Inkspell took me forever, and I just ended up skimming it anyway. Inkdeath…I just read the Wiki summary.

I don’t know; am I the only one who has a faint dislike for Cornelia Funke’s style? Granted, I read the translated editions, but something still seemed… not so good.

I’ve read all of the “Ink Series” except for Inkdeath. I have also read The Thief Lord.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited

Inkheart, I loved. It was a big thing around here, and the books are probably better in German anyway (if any of you speak German, there’s this moment in Inkblood somewhere around the middle, something like, “Doch Meggie blieb unten und hörte dem Schlagen ihres verwirrten Herzens” and somehow it stuck in my brain because it’s such gorgeous formulation), but the thing is, after the first one, where the general plot saved it, I thought the later ones were just way, way too long.

Her thing is that she has these endless passages of exposition, or stating the obvious, and she does go all inner-monologue-y a few times too often. Also, her sentences, at least in German, are endless.

As for Inkdeath, well…I thought the way she ended the whole Natternkopf (Er, no, I don’t know what that is in English) thing was a bit dull and predictable, I could have done without yet more Resa angsting, Dustfinger, whom I adored in book one, well, the whole switching sides thing was getting old. I suppose my issue is that she didn’t really write much of anything new in it. Inkblood was new inasmuch as it was set inside the Inkworld, which I liked, despite the endlessness of a few of the less important passages, but Inkdeath was just same old, same old, write stuff with pretty pens and then read it out and presto! it’s real.

Also, the Dario thing bugged me to no end. Not enough that everyone’s paired off, no, she has to kick off the love interest we’ve been getting used to since book one, which would have been okay, because they’re ridiculously young, but he has to be replaced in the last book by a brand new character we don’t much care about who apparently sticks around and becomes her one twue wove.

[/rant]

Oh, and the Thief Lord…meh. Was mixed about it. Bo irritated me, and the Thief Lord himself was so…pubescent…

I read Inkheart. It was really a lot of meh for me. It did not blow my mind, but it was not too bad. Although that may be probably because Dustfinger reminded me too much of my ex. (lol I used to date a guy like that:P Never again)

Oh, and the Thief Lord…meh. Was mixed about it. Bo irritated me, and the Thief Lord himself was so…pubescent…

Bo was cute (then again, I have a brother who is just like him), and Scipio… swoon I was so sad when they found out who he really was. And I loved it all the way up to the ending.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009

I confess I avoided the Thief Lord movie after the disaster that was the Inkheart movie (and after I had a friend who developed a ginormous crush on Scipio’s actor).

I mean, the concept of the first Ink book was good, and I loved it mostly for that and Dustfinger. I will admit that I’m a sucker for fantasy worlds and mushy romance, which is why I liked Inkblood, although the length issue irritated me..

Cornelia Funke’s kinda like Eva Ibbotson though. She used to write ghost-and-dragon stories for little people, and then she started on the YA market…I mean, admittedly, I have the entire collection of both, but I definitely appreciated Funke more when I was younger, and the more recent Ibbotson Formulaic Romances, TM, have been more formulaic than usual…

Eva Ibbotson’s gone YA? I never knew!

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009

Eva Ibbotson manages somehow to pull over her Formulaic Romances™ with me. I don’t know how the hell she does it. I know what’s coming every time, and yet I keep on reading instead of throwing the book across the room.

(and after I had a friend who developed a ginormous crush on Scipio’s actor).

You mean ROLLO WEEKS?

YOU MEAN I’M NOT ALONE?!?

Yeah, he and David Krumholtz kind of share my “favorite actor” slot…

Polaris Rhapsody. You think that you have a nice, satisfying, somewhat bittersweet ending, when Lee just decides to kill off almost everyone off-screen on a single page.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009

Quite honestly, the actor!crush thing evades me. She liked Rupert Grint, first.

@ Elanor: I dunno, Magic Flutes didn’t impress me.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@ Elanor: I dunno, Magic Flutes didn’t impress me.

Well, okay. Yeah, that one underwhelmed me.

But the others—Rom, Qun, I knew pretty much what was going to happen. But I read anyway, and squee’d.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Morning Gift and Company of Swans were win, because she hadn’t done it before, and it was a new genre, and her characters are so great. After that, she sort of lost her touch. And….Oh, hai thar, Mary-Sue

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Yeah, Sues galore. Somehow, though, I don’t hate her Sues, it is very odd.

But yeah. I can’t remember any of the heroes besides Rom and Quin, and that’s telling all on its own.

Though—Journey to the River Sea! Finn!

• CommentAuthorliadan14

I can’t remember their names. Oh, wait, the one with Russian Princess Sue, he was Rupert, right? Robert? Something like that. He was okay. I mean, her Sues are alright and have these “flaws” that make them likeable…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Yeah…“flaws”. Ohh, forgot about Rupert. I always picture a vague sort of Ron in my head. Sort of.

Sergei, though, I loved Sergei.

@ Elanor: Speaking of Journey to the River Sea, I thought Maia was a pretty blatant Sue as well.

I like her kid books, like The Secret of Platform 13 and The Star of Kazan. Zed is one of the many people on my PSL list. I’d write fanfic about Kazan if there was a larger fanbase for Annika/Zed.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

It’s not technically a book, but rather a play, but I hated reading Shakespeare’s Tempest. Not only was the prose barely intelligible, but I remember that Prospero was a jerk.

This is Propsero as I remember him “Ah! Dethroned! The horror! The traitors shall pay! My lovely daughter Miranda was almost raped by my servant slave but aaaanyway, fall in love with Ferdinand! Yayy! Things are going according to plan! Mwuahaha!”

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009 edited

It’s better than Twelfth Night. I still don’t understand half the things in that play. Same with Taming of the Shrew, but that makes a little more sense.

EDIT: Is Ariel a boy or a girl?

Boy, I think, but Ariel is such a nice girl’s name…cough cough Little Mermaid cough cough

My classmates pointed that out. “Sebastian? Ariel? Do you think Disney used the names from here?”

Which reminds me of “That 70’s Show” and “Scrubs.” I like to think of Dorian, Kelso, and Hyde as references to Victorian era literature.

Which Victorian era piece of literature is Kelso from? (And who is Hyde in Scrubs?)

My classmates pointed that out. “Sebastian? Ariel? Do you think Disney used the names from here?”

Oh. Duh. facepalm Now I wonder why Eric wasn’t Ferdinand.

Which Victorian era piece of literature is Kelso from? (And who is Hyde in Scrubs?)

Kelso is Harry Wotton’s grandfather, uncle, or something of the sort in The Picture of Dorian Gray. Hyde is from “That 70’s Show.”

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

Brave New World kinda ruined the Tempest for me, but I do remember liking it when I read it…In fact, the only Shakespeare stuff I don’t much like is in the tragedies. Hamlet- a, too long, b, Hamlet spends the entire time complaining. King Lear- well, if he’s going to renounce his kingship, then he can’t go on expecting everyone to treat him like a king. Also, Cordelia Mary-Sue much?

This is Shakespeare. Everyone is a Mary Sue. Well, except for Hamlet, but he dies at the end.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

Hamlet was an idiot. I feel the intense need to redirect people to this at any mention of him.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009 edited

I have two words for you: Oedipus. Complex.

We read Macbeth in school. I hate Macbeth. I read the Shakespeare Made Easy Version mostly. He managed to make murder quite dull. How?

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

Shakespeare’s tragedies are just boring. It’s a sad fact of life. I actually like Marlowe’s plays better than Shakespeares OMGSERIOUS stuff.

Don’t get me started on Oedipus. He was an idiot too. Who the hell walks around Greece randomly killing old kings?

He killed him by accident, remember?

• CommentAuthorliadan14

My Sophocles tells me he did it because he was in a bad mood and Laius was mean to him. and then he killed the rest of the company for the heck of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I’m more of a Euripides fan than a Sophocles fan, but I quite enjoyed Oedipus (although for some reason my teacher insisted on using the non-romanised romanisation: Oidipous Tyrannous, by Sophokles. Worse, Aeschylus was spelled Aiskhylos, and Bacchae was Bakkhai). According to wikipedia, “Oedipus refused to defer to the king, although Laius’s attendants ordered him to. Being angered, Laius either rolled a chariot wheel over his foot or hit him with his whip, and Oedipus killed Laius and all but one of his attendants”. So I guess it was just testosterone and masculine pride?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I love irony, and therefore love Oedipus. It's also very good for schadenfreude.
    • CommentAuthorliadan14

Yeah, I like Euripides better too. He has a sense of humour (Also, how cool is it that Polyphemus is completely gay?)

I don’t get schadenfreude out of Oedipus. I get, oh, my god, how stupid are you?

If I want schadenfreude I rewatch the part of the Sherlock Holmes trailer where Watson punches Holmes in the face. He so had it coming.

Pride and Prejudice. x_x I don’t see how this book is supposed to be entertaining. Watching paint dry is more interesting.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

...you…you wound me. Deeply. Pride and Prejudice is highly entertaining. I’ve read it three times, it’s so entertaining.