Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited

Oregon Trail, but in the Carribbean and not going anywhere

A UNICEF-designd flash game that’s actually a bit attidcting. You have to guide a third-world Haitian family for 4 years, balancing work, school, health and happiness, to give the children a chance for a better future. It’s actually really eye-opening, especially when the cost of living actually is more than the income from farm working (let alone the lack of income and the extra cost of being in the hospital with dysentry, typhoid, maalaria or blood-filled diarrhoea.

Play it! It’s actually really eye-opening, especially if any of you are writing about ‘poor farmers’. Especially when we consider that Eragon was supposedly a peasant, but had his own room to himself with a nice bed and furniture, in their nice wood-panelled house. These guys have a single-room shack.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009 edited

“Hey, this guy’s trying to open our eyes to the world at large!”

/ignore

Though really, it’s quite interesting. I’m surprised there’s no link to their charity there (or at least as far as I could see). It was an alright game too, if a bit tough.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

It’s almost addicting. I keep starting again and again, trying to get that new house up for grabs for 20,000…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

Wow. I’m terrible at this! But it does open your eyes a bit… I started with trying to have the parents work to support the kids in school, but quickly realized that it’s impossible to do that… the only way I can even survive so far is to have everyone work to support one child in school. I can’t imagine what it must be like for parents in this situation… to have to decide “Hmm, which of our children do we care the most about, so we’ll pay to put them through school while our other children are forced to slave away under the hot sun?”