Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

They have condensed the regular Sorcerer’s Stone and the secret Sorcerer’s Stone.

I really like the editor’s note.

It’s Philosopher’s Stone. Get it right.

Why does it have two titles? Really, I want to know. They call it the sorcerer’s stone throughout the book, I think too, don’t they?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009

It’s Sorceror’s in America, which was an editorial decision to make it sound more magical, but in the original UK publication and in Australia (at least), it’s Philosopher’s. Historically, the item in question was called the philosopher’s stone, so I can assume “sorceror’s” was an American clarification because the word “philosopher” has a very different meaning now than it did in the days of alchemy.

^^Thank you. So, in the British/Australian book, do they always refer to it as the Philosopher’s Stone (it just seems like a lot of editing to change every mention in the American version just so that we wouldn’t be confused)? They said Sorcerer’s Stone in the movie though, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited

In the Australian book, no mention of sorceror is made at all.

I think the movie called it philosopher’s as well. Yes, I definitely remember the trio’s whiny voices yelling “we know about the philosopher’s stone!” at the old scottish woman.

Well, damn. Turns out they probably made two versions of the movie, as well.

Philosopher’s Stone

Sorceror’s Stone

It’s incredibly stupid because ‘sorcerer’ isn’t even used as a title for the magical people. ‘Philosopher’s Stone’ makes a million times more sense and even if the word ‘philosopher’ has a different meaning today, the philosopher’s stone is a very well known myth. Anyone could make the connection.

The philosopher’s stone is a very well known myth.

I just knew about a magic stone that turns things into gold. looks embarrassed.

I think the movie called it philosopher’s as well. Yes, I definitely remember the trio’s whiny voices yelling “we know about the philosopher’s stone!” at the old scottish woman.

I remembered the same whiny voices screaming about the sorcerer’s stone. They should’ve just called it philosopher’s in America too. It would’ve saved them a lot of trouble.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Besides which, “Philosopher’s Stone” has more of a ring to it. It rolls off the tongue a little easier than “Sorceror’s Stone”. At least with an Australian accent it does.

^^I think it’s whatever you’re used to saying. I wonder if they dubbed in sorcerer’s stone every time in the movie or if they just shot those scenes twice.

Anyway yeah.

Funny link.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited

It seems like they shot the scenes twice, because the lips presumably line up with the words in each shot. If it were dubbed in, there’d be a noticeable gap or ‘wrong-ness’, even if very small. Enough to fall into the uncanny valley, anyway.

It’s part of why I prefer subtitles over dubbing with foreign films. I might not understand the adible words, but at least the lips synch up properly.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Back when the HP was first getting started, my mom went to a fair amount of trouble to get me a british copy of the Philosopher’s Stone. And, no, they never once say “sorcerer’s stone”.

I thought there was only one version of the movie. But what do I know. That’s what the internet is for.

My friend used to have the British AND American version of every single book.

I need subtitles even for English movies. It’s easier to keep track of the dialogue.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I need subtitles even for English movies. It’s easier to keep track of the dialogue.

Dialog*

And ditto,^^ especially when you have noisy siblings. xP

Really? Thought ‘dialogue’ and ‘dialog’ are just alternate spellings.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Maybe it’s just my dictionary. :P

According to Wikipedia, they’re interchangeable.

Yes, I prefer Philosopher’s Stone.

So, when Neville, in the fifth book, is in the Three Broomsticks at the first DA meeting and says “He even saved the Sorcerous-” To which Hermione says “Sorcerer’s-”, what does he mess up in the British version?

According to Wikipedia, they’re interchangeable.

But dialogue is correcter.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009

But dialogue is correcter.

That’s the one I learned.

Regarding the Philosopher’s vs. Sorcerer’s thing, it’s like how Spooks is called MI5 when it’s marketed in the US.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited

@ SmartAlien: So, when Neville, in the fifth book, is in the Three Broomsticks at the first DA meeting and says “He even saved the Sorcerous-” To which Hermione says “Sorcerer’s-”, what does he mess up in the British version?

According to my copy:

‘And in our first year,’ saide Neville to the group at large, ‘He even saved that Philological Stone—’

‘Philosopher’s,’ hissed Hermione.

‘Yes, that — from You-Know-Who,’ finished Neville.

In my opinion, “Philological” or “Philosopher’s” is a more understandable mistake than mispronouncing “Sorceror’s” as “sorcerous”, and more believable.

Why do you reckon they changed it?

Why do you reckon they changed it?

There are some rumors that the editors thought a book with “philosophy” in the title wouldn’t sell as well in the US.
    (of course, I find it funny that they didn’t think that a book with “sorcerer” in the title might cause some controversy)

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited

“Americans are retarded. Let’s butcher this book.”

“Americans are violent. Let’s edit this boxart and make Kirby look ‘badass’.”

“Americans are extremely retarded. Let’s edit this comedy show and add a laugh machine so they know when a joke is made.”

Because, as is well documented, America is a land made up entirely of incestual rednecks.

“Americans are extremely retarded. Let’s edit this comedy show and add a laugh machine so they know when a joke is made.”

Someday… my vengeance upon the inventor of the laff track will be swift and horrible…

I thought that was Tasmania.

incestual

incestuous.

Fixed.

Apologies, there was cousin sex in my family history.

Woah. I guess that accounts for your spelling defects.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I think the only time laugh tracks can be funny is if they’re intentionally mocked, like in Rowan Atkinson’s Canned Laugher.

Look it up on youtube, it’s awesome but only uploaded in three parts.

Yeah, the good Doctor has a bit of a Hapsburg chin.

I hate laugh tracks. I hate it especially when they laugh at the stupidest things, that aren’t even funny.

In fact, the only show that I like with a laugh track is Sabrina, the Teenaged Witch.

I swear, this one time, I was watching a show and put the laugh track in at a sad moment. Although when I watched reruns of it, it wasn’t there.

I hate shows that play laugh tracks after practically every single spoken word or action. Some shows don’t do this, thankfully.

Unfortunately, Hannah Montana does.

I say we just burn down Disney. Well, maybe we could save some quality stuff, like Bambi, but Hannah Montana has to go. Stupid media conglomerates…

Well, maybe we could save some quality stuff,

And the animated films from the nineties!

Like The Hunchback of Notre Dame! (Scary and totally PG13, but amazing)

...after we burn Disney, could we please at least try to return it into its former glory?

because I will miss it. The little kid in me who watched those movies hundreds of times will miss it.

Yes! We shall rebuild a new Disney… the Republic of Disney.

Yayyy!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Eheheh Mickey Mouse in ‘South Park’.

Heh heh.

The Republic of Disney should have one hour called “The Pain Hour: Because Some of Us Are Masochistic and Want to Snark” and play episodes of the Jonas Brothers’ show.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

The Republic of Disney should have one hour called “The Pain Hour: Because Some of Us Are Masochistic and Want to Snark” and play episodes of the Jonas Brothers’ show.

._.

I just watched HSM.

I hate myself.

It does that to you. I like some of the musical numbers, but I hate the very idea of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

The last two songs were the only ones that caught my brain.

But they failed sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadly at trying to establish any sort of nerd cred for Gabriella. Gaaah.

That amazing chemistry stuff on the board she was doing for the Decathlon thing to that group of admiring “nerds”? That was BALANCING EQUATIONS. AND FIGURING OUT CHARGES. That’s not even algebra, that’s simple arithmetic. Jeez.

My nerd is outraged.

Hey. Gabriella is pretty. She can’t be a nerd. She falls under geek chic.

Oh here you go HSM haters. Feel better. (and that cast picture of Zac E. will make you feel better)

Today only: Special double therapy.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Hey. Gabriella is pretty. She can’t be a nerd. She falls under geek chic.

Her being a “math genius” evidently consists of being able to count and add.

>:|

nitpicking

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Couldn’t they have made her do something actually hard? I mean, none of the target audience would figure it out anyway, but it would help the few people who Know What They’re Talking About to not kill themselves afterward…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Couldn’t they have made her do something actually hard? I mean, none of the target audience would figure it out anyway, but it would help the few people who Know What They’re Talking About to not kill themselves afterward…

Appaaarently not.

Probably because no one working on the set actually KNEW ENOUGH OF ANYTHING TO WRITE IT ON THE BOARD.

cough

Probably because no one working on the set actually KNEW ENOUGH OF ANYTHING TO WRITE IT ON THE BOARD.

Maybe II should start up some sort of service…

“General Information you can use to cover things in your work of fiction.”

You know, like wikipedia except we’d actually tell people: “Write this”

That would end up becoming a division of TV Tropes, people would be sucked into that just as much, and end result? People still know you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Also, fyi: I didn’t care about HSM enough to watch it so closely that I could read their chalkboard.

That would end up becoming a division of TV Tropes, people would be sucked into that just as much, and end result? People still know you have no idea what you’re talking about.

I still don’t see the problem.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Also, fyi: I didn’t care about HSM enough to watch it so closely that I could read their chalkboard.

<<
    >>

SHUSH

STOP MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I HAVE NO LIFE

Not that I do. Hmm.

But…but…the chemistry. They butchered it. D:

Oh, okay. If you’re a chemistry nut (which I used to be), you’re allowed to be outraged.

I’m reading the agony booth recap, and, fyi, this:

Is where I fell in love with Troy Bolton. Oh, wait, I forgot that’s not his real name. Some fangirl I am… Zac Efron.

I just watched HSM.

I hate myself.

It’s OK. I watch it to ship Ryan and Kelsi (and one or two of the songs are OK). You’re not alone.

But they failed sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadly at trying to establish any sort of nerd cred for Gabriella. Gaaah.

THANK YOU! I am not the only one who realized that! YAY! They actually failed at making the geeks geeky, period. If you watch “Stick to the Status Quo,” you’ll see that the geek table is populated by models in argyle. Occasionally, pink argyle. “Hey, kids! You, too, can be smart! Just wear argyle!” UUURRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, HSM is, like Twilight and Eragon, one of those things so badly written that the minor characters are more interesting than the main ones. Hell, the villains are more interesting. A kindergartner is more interesting. Oh, wait.

Is where I fell in love with Troy Bolton. Oh, wait, I forgot that’s not his real name. Some fangirl I am… Zac Efron.

Oh Steph. I can’t put it better than Rachel Lucas did.

Hahaha! Thanks for that Nate. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited

My mom thinks he’s gay and his relationship with Vanessa Hudgens is fake.

I think that his thing with Vanessa is fake even if he’s straight.

I mean, look at this guy! He’s wearing lipgloss! Even Lucas Grabeel doesn’t wear lipgloss!

All he needs now is sparkles!

This is Lucas Grabeel, by the by:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

How did you go from Harry Potter to High School Musical?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Aw man, Ryan is my favourite.

•  

No idea.

Americans butchering books because of retardation—>laugh tracks —> Hannah Montana —> Disney —> Republic of Disney —> Jonas Brothers —> HSM.

Aw man, Ryan is my favourite.

Mine, too! And Kelsi is my favorite girl character (everyone else fails at nerdiness, except Sharpay, and Sharpay is a bitch.)

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I’m sorry, but the slash, it whacks me in the face.

Baseball! “Batting for the other team”! Swinging! Dancing! Doing your thing!

SWITCHING CLOTHES!

I will be the first to admit that I am generally extremely oblivious to subtext. So if I notice something’s going on, it’s being pushed preeetty hard.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Ick. I’m 16 and I don’t see any attraction in Zac Efron whatsoever. He looks like a little BOY!

Now, Chris Pine, on the other hand, is a STUD.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

points above

I ditto that. To the nth degree.

SWITCHING CLOTHES!

I only figured that out much later, but there’s a line in that song that says “I’ll show you how I swing.” If you’ve ever heard the phrase “I don’t swing that way” or “I swing both ways”, then… yeah. Also, teams? If you’ve ever heard about “switching teams” or “going to the other side”... I’m a terrible person when it comes to innuendo and subtext.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Zac Efron is just plain creepy

And smug. Jackass.

Now, Christian Bale… he is a magnificent bastard :)

Aw, man, do I suck because I rooted/root for Sharpay?

I like villains.

I used to like Rosalie.

Aw, man, do I suck because I rooted/root for Sharpay?

No, she and Troy are the only semi-developed characters in the whole series. If I shipped on the basis of development alone, I’d be a raging Troypay shipper. But I don’t like Sharpay, so… I’m not.

Eh, I’m beginning to think that I usually find the villains in anything more appealing (character wise, etc.).

They’re usually more interesting than the heroes. Sharpay is a prime example. I started cheering when she imitated Gabriella’s voice. However, I will never write her as a Draco in Leather Pants, as most Troypay writers do, because I like my characters to stay in character. I remember a rather disgusting one where she was goth, drew manga, and was terribly unpopular, since that popular chick Gabriella ran the school… shudders

I remember a rather disgusting one where she was goth, drew manga, and was terribly unpopular, since that popular chick Gabriella ran the school… shudders

...ewrgh…

I agree. While I don’t write fanfiction, if I read any, the characters should be in character. And that wasn’t. That isn’t at all in character. I don’t get it when fanfiction writers write “OOC*” along with their summaries. Doesn’t that slightly ruin the point?

*Out of character

•  

I agree. While I don’t write fanfiction, if I read any, the characters should be in character. And that wasn’t. That isn’t at all in character. I don’t get it when fanfiction writers write “OOC*” along with their summaries. Doesn’t that slightly ruin the point?

I write and read fanfic, and I understand* where they are coming from. They want to control the characters, and while it works in some cases (would Hermione really like Draco if he was a whiny backstabbing bastard?), there are very few cases where it does. Now, I’m not saying that some people shouldn’t interpret the character differently – I think of^ Ryan as straight, while many people see him as gay – or mix up pairings, but when you turn the Ice Queen into a molten puddle of warm fuzzies… urgh.

*a word which here means “think is stupid but tolerate”
    ^a word which here means “suspend my belief in order to fulfill my little dreams and write”

They want to control the characters

I think I knew about that, but I didn’t really read any fanfics where it worked. They usually Flanderized some characters, completely interpreted them in a way that made no sense, etc. But I get what you mean. Thanks (?).