Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

As seen on http://100scopenotes.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/create-your-debut-ya-cover/

CREATE YOUR DEBUT YA COVER

1 – Go to “Fake Name Generator” or click http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

The name that appears is your author name.

2 – Go to “Random Word Generator” or click http://www.websitestyle.com/parser/randomword.shtml

The word listed under “Random Verb” is your title.

3 – Go to “FlickrCC” or click http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/index.php

Type your title into the search box. The first photo that contains a person is your cover.

4 – Use Photoshop, Picnik, or similar to put it all together. Be sure to crop and/or zoom in.

5 – Post it to your site along with this text.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

I am so going to do this when I get home. :D

:P They have other ones, such as ‘create your own fantasy book cover’

I don’t really like either version, but I couldn’t decide which one to leave off.

I’ve got to consider “Ambretta” as a pet McGuffin gem pen name.

Hands off, M!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

This was fun! I should make another one. Sorry the picture is kind of blurry- I zoomed in quite a lot.

Actually, I think this cover turned out looking pretty cool. I’m imagining some sort of murder mystery/action story where a bunch of people get trapped by a storm, something reminiscent of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I would do one of these, but my image-editting skills leave much to be desired.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited

Here’s mine.

I thought it deserved the ‘a novel’ touch, just for added effect, hahaha.

@Diamonte

What a coincidence!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I did a fantasy one by the rules on that site, but it looks hideous. More like one of those dreadful pulp fantasy things than anything else.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

This is what I got:

Wow, Pao-pao recommends it; I totally want to read it now! ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT

I’m thinking dark thriller, what do you think?

I had a small picture and a crappy online Photoshop site, so no recommendations. Wait a few minutes and I’ll make a back cover for the recs…

what photoshop site did you use? I wanted something besides gimp.

www.lunapic.com

It’s an online photo editor. If you want to post it here, though, you have to create a private Lunapic account, then save the pic to that account, then click “code”, then scroll to the bottom of the page and copypaste the direct link. But I love it since it requires no downloading or Flash.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I was using Picnik. It’s pretty good, and you can save pictures to your computer or post them directly to Flickr/Photobucket.

Good ol’ MS Paint for me. And PowerMenu, although that program is as much an image editing tool as Eldest is a good book.

I love those. Some of them actually look real. In the middle of history, I got this awesome idea for the cover of Nagasaki Moon. I ended up doodling the layout on my cartoon analysis sheet. Hope I get it back…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited

Here’s a new one- it’s a dark romatic thriller that’s “edgy” or whatever sells these days. shrug I like it a lot better than my second one, but not as much as my first one, which I think turned out really cool… I’d actually buy a book that looked like that!

EDIT: the text is kind of hard to read. The top says “the romantic thriller of the year… – new york times”, the bit under the title reads “...even true love has secrets…”, and the author’s name is Blanche F. Gonzales, with all lowercase letters for extra “edginess”.

I like it. You should totally write it.

I like this one’s premise, but my cover art… meh. This is fun!

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009

I cheated a bit (I chose the title) and I suppose I got what was coming to me.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

XDDDD That totally looks like a trashy romantic novel.

• CommentAuthorFenix

lol, a sensual sensation. is that diana person actually someone or did you you make up the name?

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

heh, no, I got Diana McDonald from the name generator.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

That Adonis book looks like it would sell, lol

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009 edited

Women have to fantasize about something. Might as well be well-cut black men statues.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

:)

That was a dangerous statement to make... *watches warily for Jeni*
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Unless it’s Will Smith or Thierry Henry, nah. :P

I'm sure Smeyer would read that.

Jeni, Thierry Henry IS NOT SMEXY!!!

I want to read these. Mostly Note [A Novel], Trumpet, Claw (a novel), Target(what would it be about?), Adore——

Nearly all of them. I’m sorry, Artimaeus; while I do think some romance novels look good (Adore), Adonis looks a bit too “cheap paperback at the supermarket” that you see while waiting for your purchases.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009 edited

I agree, Note is the one I’d be most likely to pick up. No offense taken.

@ Jeni,
    Whatever suits you. Not into the marble ebony cut statues, I guess.

Note is the one I’d be most likely to pick up. No offense taken.

I am a musician and a music fan. If I saw that actual novel in a bookshop, I would grab it and pore over it. And then I would try to buy it.

I’m sorry for not being interested in, uh, “mass market” romance novels.

How do you post your own pictures?

Adore, Target, and Claw look really good. I’d read them!

Someone write these!

I’ve done 5 of these, but I don’t know how to post them.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited

upload them to photobucket or some other hosting site. Then post the image URL with exclamation marks around it. For example:

!http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/mutalisk332/FakeBookCover1.jpg!

(except turn textile on)

Thank you.

Does Photobucket cost money?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009

Nope.^^

Announcing the next novel from Delbert B. Lewis, who Time Magazine called “arguably the best living sci-fi author”, a psychological thriller that tests the limits of our imagination and sanity.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited

^^Awesome.

In case you can’t see, the review says “Brilliant…Ms. Mikhail has done it again!”-Utter Tosh Reviews

And while I played around with the names (she’s an Arab from Cyprus), I did not choose the word or the pic. It’s utter coincidence.

Delbert D. Lewis really does sound like a sci-fi writer.

@SmartAlien: yours is cool too!

I’m getting addicted to this.

That looks like a real children’s picture book.

Thank you! I try, and I occasionally succeed.

I try, and I occasionally succeed.
    That is a pretty winsome quote.

@Alien
    I like your last cover, but aren’t you supposed to use the verb as the title? I’m just wondering. I do like your current title though.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009

I think that was from the Fantasy Book Cover one- there’s different directions for that one.

Yeah, it was the fantasy one. Pretty cool, non? It’s my favorite so far.

Oh. I must find these instructions! Runs off to find them

I finally got PhotoBucket, so I thought I would post the covers that I made.

Ooh, a lot of those look like fun reads.

Seize looks like one of those YA novels… I’ve never seen the show, but for some reason, I’m thinking of Gossip Girl.

^^Haha, it does look a little Gossip Girl. But I thought they looked creepy standing around in the woods like that. Apparently it’s the name of a band, and that’s them.

My favorite is Cartwheel.

A couple of them got cut off, which irritates me.

Cartwheel looks and sounds like a real book, what with the “what seemed like the end was only the beginning” bit.

Yeah, and I like how I could make the words look like shadows that matched the kids shadows in PhotoShop. I also think that Press looks cool. Cartwheel made me want to write a book called Cartwheel and suggest that picture as coverart. I just really love how it came out.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

Chuck looks awesome, too. I’m imagining some crazy memoir or something dealing with flying and survival in the wilderness, for some reason. But with cool people.

^^I could see that, even though there’s a house in the background. The plane gives it a bit of a plane crash vibe.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

Well… Photoshop the house out for the official release.

Will do. :D

Yeah, and I like how I could make the words look like shadows that matched the kids shadows in PhotoShop. I also think that Press looks cool. Cartwheel made me want to write a book called Cartwheel and suggest that picture as coverart. I just really love how it came out.

Back blurb:
    “A child born to walk only on his hands proves to everyone how they can stand tall.”

(man I think I just found a new game)

Blurb for Note:

“A musician begins to question whether she’s creating the music – or its creating her.”

Also for fun: read these with different music playing in the background and you get a description for either horror or romance.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited

Squall: When a storm threatens the small town of Shady Grove and all of the residents are evacuated, eight local teenagers are stranded on a nearby island. Can they overcome their differences in time to survive the storm… or will they be washed out to sea?

Exhibit: Marshall Lewis created some of the world’s most fascinating abstract art. But when a stroke cripples him, he gives up painting- and sinks into a deep depression. Will he overcome his difficulties and return to the world of art or fade away?

^^ See? It’s things like that which make swenson my first choice for apprentice…

[cue evil music]

I would join, but everyone would laugh at my ridiculous blurbs.

hides

Jeremy will save her, I’m sure…

Comprehend: Bookish Alana never understood anyone who said they were in love. How could she, when her own father killed her mother, and every relationship around her ends in tears? Instead she isolates herself from the world, never letting anyone get close. But could an unexpected visit and a sick dog change her mind?

I want to write that now…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

@Nate - mine are all the "SOMETHING HORRIBLE HAPPENS!!! What will happen now?!" variety, I'm afraid. I don't usually like reading those books... but at least writing the blurbs is interesting! :D

@SWQ - do it anyway! Come on, mine are terrible too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

Star Wars font! I like it!

Other than that the cover that would make me want to read it the most is the ‘Exhibit’ one. I always like plain covers like that and it reminds me of this book about an art gallery I was reading (not very good, of course) called The Art Thief. Eh.

@Nate – mine are all the “SOMETHING HORRIBLE HAPPENS!!! What will happen now?!” variety, I’m afraid. I don’t usually like reading those books… but at least writing the blurbs is interesting! :D

Yes my young apprentice. Give in to the dark side…

Rand is back! Hoorays.

Anyway, a blurb. Ok, I’ll try.

Evade: (one of the early ones) Rising crook Solomon Stringfellow always thought he’d been an escape artist in another life- dozens of flawless burglaries, robberies, and smugglings seemed to him enough to attest to this. But when a cop as ingenious as Solomon himself enters the picture, Stringfellow is hard pressed to continue his winning streak as the stakes rise ever higher.

facepalm

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Actually, it sounds interesting… kind of like a comedy, though.

Don’t ask where the name ‘Solomon Stringfellow’ came from.

The Demon and the Castle: A proud faerie prince has been trapped in a demon’s body for five hundred years, as punishment for an unspeakable crime. When he sees a floating castle inhabited by all manner of strange people, he sneaks aboard, and is immediately welcomed. How long can he keep his secret hidden from his newfound family?

•  
      CommentAuthorTalisman
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

Looks like fun..some interesting-looking books up there.

Okay, here’s my entry:

I figure it’s a tale of self-discovery in the face of seemingly unending tragedy, where a young man seeks solace in nature and learns to find himself.

I’m going to do the fantasy one as well, but…tomorrow.

I figure it’s a tale of self-discovery in the face of seemingly unending tragedy, where a young man seeks solace in nature and learns to find himself.

Only to be eaten by a bear.

Only to be eaten by a bear.

How is that ‘fail’? That’s ‘epic’!

Alien, that only applies with villains.

This is a protagonist we’re talking about. Being eaten counts as a fail.

• CommentAuthorTourniquet

Here’s my cover.

Word: Comfort
    Fake Author: Brandy Simon

Haven’t figured out a summary for this yet…

Anyone have a link to the Fantasy YA Cover instructions (if there are any)?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I went to the source at the beginning and…yes, I found it. Forgot to look lol! This is fun.

The Demon and the Castle: A proud faerie prince has been trapped in a demon’s body for five hundred years, as punishment for an unspeakable crime. When he sees a floating castle inhabited by all manner of strange people, he sneaks aboard, and is immediately welcomed. How long can he keep his secret hidden from his newfound family?

in a talking-to-little-kid-voice: Did somebody just describe the plot of Howl’s Moving Castle…?

I was actually going for “Beauty and the Beast meets Impish Idea”...

I have egoitis now, apparently. Maybe I caught it from Paopao…

Lol, I’m planning something based on the Impish Idea Castle idea, as well as those journal entries in the Let’s All Pretend to be Depressed People thread. But it won’t be for a while—maybe a few years. I have other stories to get out of the way first.

I felt like doing this again. Because it’s fun and it gets me excited.

^^It looks like it has to do with technology. It’s the font. It also looks slightly disturbing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

Back of the book blurb: Doze is the heart-wrenching tale of one girl’s struggle to survive on the harsh streets of New York City.

You see, not only is this girl homeless, she also has narcolepsy.

Which is why it’s so hard for her to survive on the harsh streets of New York City. Here she is, running from the cops, leaping over trash cans, dodging homeless people… zzzzzzz….

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010

Yesssss. Someone (other than me) write this story now!