Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I’m lucky enough to live with a mother who is also a writer, and an experienced one at that. For some ten years now she has been with a ‘writer’s group’, as they call it. The group used to have seven people in it, but right now it is just my mother and two of her friends. Every three weeks the writer’s group meets at one of their houses and they all review and critique each others work, and discuss ideas and the mechanics of writing. My mother finds it helpful because it gives her someone she can share her work with, a trusted source of critique, and a deadline to meet, which keeps her writing.

I thought we could try to do something like that here. If anyone is interested, we could set up a thread and meet every few weeks or every month and share what we’ve written. I can’t speak for any one else, but I know I have problems with writing consistently without some sort of deadline, and I saw in the “Writing a Series” thread a few people mentioned they would like a dedicated editor. A writer’s group would solve both of these issues, and might even be fun.

If you would be interested, please say so.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

I’d participate in something like this. But everyone’s starting school soon, so something like every three weeks.

Does sound interesting...

I just hate the thought of people seeing my unpolished work and my uncrafted sentences. :(

I just hate the thought of people seeing my unpolished work and my uncrafted sentences. :(

And my plot-holes, too realistic dialogue, narm, and my poor writing overall. D:

Oh, wait, edit: But it’s a top-notch idea. I’m not certain if that means what I think it does, but I do think it’s an excellent idea.

Actually, the more I think about it, the better it sounds. If we all go in there after reading 'the rules' : i.e. being honest, knowing that this is the first draft of everything, and so we're a lot better than we seem, etc...

Will it be hosted here or should we carry this on externally?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’d agree with windmere about not wanting anyone else to see my secret shame/writing, but it does sound like a good idea.

I think as long as we agree to respect each other, and KEEP IT SMALL, it will be fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

@Moldorm: Its best to get used to people seeing rough work. In a community like this we can help you out.

Idk how it can be done externally, so I suppose around here. Unless we are keeping it super private?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

YES!

I think this is a great idea, and as long as we respect each others work and privacy I think this will work great. :-)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I would like to participate in this, it sounds good. I kind of need critique on my prose, which makes privacy not really an issue, since I can post fairly small excerpts to make that possible. Though I don’t really have a problem with privacy paranoia anyway…

It’s not paranoia I’m worried about, really—it’s more that I’d rather know who was looking at my work, and I don’t want to be CB’d or anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009 edited

Okay, cool. I get really nervous whenever I start threads (I actually had a dream last night that all the replies it got ridiculed the idea), so I’m psyched at the positive response.

And my plot-holes, too realistic dialogue, narm, and my poor writing overall. D:

The thing is, people aren’t just going to be seeing your rough writing, we’d all be reviewing each other.

It’s not paranoia I’m worried about, really—it’s more that I’d rather know who was looking at my work, and I don’t want to be CB’d or anything.

Yeah, even in a members-only section here, anyone registered with the website can see our work, and becoming registered isn’t exactly difficult. We might have to make another board to keep stuff private.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I second that.^^ Since school will be starting soon, I think we should do this about once every month.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yes, a private forum is the best idea. That way we let in who we want.

Okay, if everyone in this thread is in, we’ll have seven people. Since this is online we can have a higher number of people than a group that meets physically, I was thinking a limit of ten. Besides a private forum, I think the other thing we should have is a set of written rules, so everyone can agree about what privacy means and about when constructive criticism becomes offensive.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’ll go get the forums set up, and then we can discuss rules and stuff there.

There we go. Note, everyone applying needs admin approval and guests cannot see the forums at all.

Sweet! Did you freehand that logo? The “W” is sick.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Nope, its a font I have.

Oh. I wish I could write “W“s like that. I was looking through the ZetaBoards terms of service, and, do you think this could cause privacy problems?:
    3.4 Rights to Posted Content:
    Any content uploaded or posted to ZetaBoards may be displayed on a board by ZetaBoards. You grant ZetaBoards the right to display and store the Content you provide.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hm.. that may be a problem.

cough Oh, we have to register? I’ll go make an account, then.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yep, that’s the idea.

How may I registrar?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Go to the link.

But all I see is the login screen…

I feel like a noob. Or whatever they call them now. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

The tab is at the top, above the logo.
    Here.

I’d blush if I could blush.

Thanks.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Still need Steph and Spanman. D:<

I’d like to get in on this too :x I’ve got four or five beta readers right now, but only one of them has any experience as a writer.

I can’t help but worry that I’ll somehow manage to have a good idea and somebody will steal it, or worse, somebody else will have a good idea and I will steal it. Still, if you can’t trust a board you just joined, who can you trust?

Nobody, that’s who.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I’m in, if there’s room. When do we start?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

We have eight at the moment, pending sansafro187. We’re starting soon, just ironing out details and whatnot. Go register.

I guess we’re all submitting our first work during the last week of August. Can we all agree to have a few pages by then?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The idea is to post that over there, but I think August will be ok.

Wait, wait, I want to come too!!!

bangs on the door

EDIT: Ok, I registered. So, last week of August? If I’m superlazy, can I submit stuff from JulNoWriMo?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ok, that is everyone, with Steph and Spanny, once they register.

I’m glad that we’re organizing something like this.

@sansa: yes, I have the same worries about someone stealing my stuff, for some egotistical reason or other. But I think I trust you guys…maybe. holds up monocle to examine everyone

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

Um if there's still room sign me up! I need the motivation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Unfortunately, no.

D:

I can’t help but worry that I’ll somehow manage to have a good idea and somebody will steal it, or worse, somebody else will have a good idea and I will steal it. Still, if you can’t trust a board you just joined, who can you trust?

Nobody, that’s who.

Yes! I only just came to that conclusion the other day!

“3.4 Rights to Posted Content:
    Any content uploaded or posted to ZetaBoards may be displayed on a board by ZetaBoards. You grant ZetaBoards the right to display and store the Content you provide.”

What about this???

(And I have registered but I’m on school computers and it’s a miracle they let me access II at all. Confirming my email address is completely out of the question)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Apparently anything posted on there can be posted somewhere else if they so choose, but is not their property. I posted a notice on copyrights.

Oh okay.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

Sorry y’all, but my computer has an aversion to every Zetaboard forum I’ve ever been to – all I get is an error page for some reason. This one’s no different. I’ll have to jump out and someone else can take my place. Pity.

Aw, that sucks, Spanman!

Aw, nu, bro!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Spanman, have you got a screenshot you can send me? Mebbe I can help figure out why?

Um if there’s still room sign me up! I need the motivation.

There’s a critique wanted board right here. Guests can’t see it, and by the power of enforced niceness in the community (and because CB left) you are guaranteed to get nice, helpful critique.

And if you don’t, yell at me to do so. :D

I personally would rather have ten known people see my work than an unknown amount of people who can quite easily become members.

Why did CB leave?

And don’t give up yet, Spanny!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yes. The idea for the other forum is for veterans to look over each other’s work in private, and over long periods of time. At the moment we have 8 people registered, so if we get Spanman we’ll have one spot open.

Span, what browser do you use? What kind of error do you get?

I say we stop it at the number we’ve got now, unless Spanman joins.

Ten could get too big, after all.

Once all spots are filled, can we please delete any links to the zeta boards, etc? My pen-name and my work will be revealed there, so I’d rather not have everybody knowing what’s going on.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited

No guests can see it unless they are registered. To register I have to accept them. Try logging out. :D

:) I meant the links on II.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Why? Everyone already has the links.

Wait. I see what you mean. Sorry. I’ll shut up now.

Paranoia can only go so far before you wake up.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

@Virgil and everyone else who asked: I tried it on both Firefox and IE. It doesn't even matter which computer I'm on - I've tried three in the house - it won't work on any of them. I can click on the link and get the HTML view of the home page, but when I try opening any of the threads, I get the standard error page. No idea what the problem is, and I don't have a computer-savvy brother around anymore to fix it for me. =(

In any case, I don't want to hold up the works. My spot's open. Someone go and take it!
    *sticks hand up* Unless you want to give it to one of the "before" people who asked to join before spanny was so uncouthly booted by her compy, I'd be up for it. :D
    edit: More than just up for it, in fact. The only writer I have on my beta list, I have a tough time respecting. And the others are very close friends so I'm only really getting LOLZYAY! with the exception of a few comments occasionally
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Span can you take a screenshot of it for us? You shouldn’t be able to see the threads, its just a login page. Try this.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yeah, about the threads and all I was referring to zetaboards in general, not just this one. Screenshot… there it is. I can’t click on any of the links on that page, they’re all dead ends. Fuh.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited

Try disabling any anti-virus temporarily, like AVG.

edit: Or go into the settings for AVG and allowing access to s1.zetaboards.com, or whatever it is.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

*tinkertinker*

Wow, this is quite maddening. There's no difference at all. =(
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hm..

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

You can try uninstalling AVG temporarily, if you want. Or try disabling your Windows firewalls, and make sure zetaboards doesn’t show up in the IE or Firefox black lists, which you can check in the options.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Apparently the problem runs rather deeper than that, because nothing I did to AVG made any difference. I hate it when pieces of technology seem to develop ornery personalities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Do you have the same problem with invisionfree, or is it just zetaboards?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I dunno what to tell you. ; _ ;

Hey, do you think that in said group, we could also work on hooks, synopses, query letters, etc.? Just for fun and practice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

That’s doable. Post up suggestions there too.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Also, registration has closed. :( We want to stay small.

Ok, I cleared up the copyright issue. I’m good and raring to go!

Lol, Virgil calls ten ‘small’.

Well, if you have to go through five pages per person, and there’s ten members, that’s fifty pages already.

Five pages? Is that the minimum amount to submit?

That’s just an example. I have no idea what the min/max is.

You just submit as much as you can; if the other members find that it is too much to review, they will just read as much as they can.

Ok, sounds good.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

So…what’s the minimum?
    I only have about 2 pages of submission-worthy stuff right now, and I might not be able to add to it significantly before holidaytime…

The submission is August 24, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I believe so.

Did I end up getting in? It tells me no such user is registered when I try to log in.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No, sansa. :( This was more aimed at long term with people who have known each other for a while, but you’re welcome to post up any work you want critiqued to the main forums.

K, np.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I probably end up posting my work here after a while…

This was more aimed at long term with people who have known each other for a while, but you’re welcome to post up any work you want critiqued to the main forums.

Wait, then how did I get in?

Pure luck/chance/generosity/enthusiasm, what have you?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Probably 1, 2, and 4. I dunno really.

No, you bagsed a place before anyone else. I’m going for 1,2, and 3.

Ah. Sweet. So my internet addiction has paid off.

Thank you to whomever needs to be thanked.