Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009 edited

Come one, come all!

What webcomics do you read?

xkcd
    Allan
    Sheldon *
    Head Trip *
    Earthsong
    Station V3
    Unshelved
    Bardsworth *
    Life Sucks…
    Crimson Dark
    Punch ‘n’ Pie
    Order of the Stick *
    Schlock Mercenary *
    Irregular Webcomic *
    Cyanide and Happiness
    Phoenix Requiem
    Gone With The Blastwave
    Girl Genius
    Today Nothing Happened
    Rock, Paper, Cynic
    Dominic Deegan (sorry)
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal *
    Ornery Boy *
    Darths and Droids
    Multiplex
    VG Cats
    The Meek
    Ctrl+Alt+Del (sorry)
    Slightly Damned
    The Way To Your Heart (I really don’t know why)

Asterisked are my favourites. :D There’s probably one or two more, there definitely used to be, but some went on hiatus for too long and the story didn’t hold me enough to want to keep up with them.

This thread was needed.

Unfortunately, I think you’ve named nearly all of the ones I read regularly.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

The only one I read regularly is Ctrl-Alt-Del but I’m quickly losing interest in it. I started 8 bit theatre but couldn’t keep it going.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

So what does everyone look for in a webcomic? Funnies? Story? Characters? Art?

A combination of story and characters for me, and Schlock Mercenary does it perfectly. :D

Plus, SMBC for funnies. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Schlock Mercenary huh?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Only nine years of uninterrupted daily comics to catch up on. ;)

Yup, characters that actually grow and change. :O

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

grow and change. :O

:OOOOOO

I’m looking into it now.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

:D I feel compelled to warn you that the early strips are rusty at best. The artwork isn’t brilliant, and the comic doesn’t find its style for a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Eh, that’s standard for just about any cartoon/comic. No worries.. unless it lasts too long. Then I’ll condemn it to hell :D

hm.. I need some cereal

Man, this thread makes me feel so guilty. My computer went all Down’s Syndrome on me last year, and I haven’t followed any of my favorite webcomics since. This will certainly change come October, but I hate waiting.

Used to read this one a lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

I read XKCD, OotS, Penny Arcade!, and Least I Could Do.

I will shamefully admit that I used to be a huge Dominic Deegan fan until…well…until we all died out. Now I check it about once a week out of morbid curiosity.

The Win thread got me interested in The Phoenix Requiem, so I’m reading the archive. So far, so good.

I read most of Phoenix Requiem, which, despite having a very interesting story, I think is ruined by the utter Mary Sue of a main character. And as far as webcomics go, one of the more awesome ones is “the Meek”. And “Alien Loves Predator” is pretty funny too:)

I read Cyanide and Happiness every so often. I’m addicted to Unshelved . Librarian humour. You gotta love us.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009 edited

I read:
    OOTS
    8-Bit Theatre
    Warbot in Accounting
    VGCats
    xkcd
    Girl Genius
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    Penny Arcade
    Pokemon X
    Misfile
    El Goonish Shive
    Looking For Group
    Were-Geek
    Awkward Zombie
    Darths and Droids
    Sequential Art
    Errant Story
    Irregular Webcomic
    How I Killed Your Master
    MtG Planeswalker Webcomics (not sure whether the last two count – one’s only 3 pages long, the other has no update schedule)

Probably some others that I can’t remember.
    The ones I did read until they finished:

Erfworld
    Adventurers!
    RPG World
    Van Von Hunter
    That MtG webcomic whose name I’ve forgotten
    DM of the Rings

Where do you all find the time???
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

Every morning. Takes about 10 minutes.

lol. I just wait for the bound books of unshelved to come out before I read them.

Zombie Hunters are pretty awesome too

Zombie Hunters are pretty awesome too

And I need to catch up on that!

I read most of Phoenix Requiem, which, despite having a very interesting story, I think is ruined by the utter Mary Sue of a main character. And as far as webcomics go, one of the more awesome ones is “the Meek”. And “Alien Loves Predator” is pretty funny too:)

...I think my Sue Detector™ is pretty sucky somewhat defective.

I think my Sue Detector™ is pretty sucky somewhat defective.

what? Anya is such a Sue!

... or it may be just me…

what? Anya is such a Sue! ... or it may be just me…

I thought about it a bit. I suppose you could argue she is? I don’t find her unbearable, though…

On another note, what did you think of Robyn? (Mayhaps there should be a PR thread.)

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009 edited

Gunnerkrigg Court is awesome and Moldorm is awesome for including it in a list.

I also like Dinosaur Comics, The Non-Adventures of Wonderella, and Daisy Owl. Alien Loves Predator can be funny too but I don’t check it regularly.

Robyn is <3 and while we are at it, so is Petria. They give the story alot of character dynamics I find the leading duo to be lacking.

Petria is hilarious. I agree, she’s also less than 3. Jonas is totally Estrogen Brigade Bait.

I must wonder if Ms. Ellerton is a troper, because the EBB thing seems too close. Except for a couple of things. But the main concept is there.

...Right?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

Yay, I’m awesome. Go me.
    Must get around to reading Dinosaur Comics.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited

@CGilga: I only got into DD relatively recently (last year or something… actually, I’ll have a look…), I did really enjoy it… until, uugghhh, I have no idea what’s going on anymore. I can’t tell the characters apart and caring about it is not an option. It’s like Eragon, it was fun, but then no one wants to admit to reading it.

@Steph: I love Unshelved’s Sunday feature.

@Moldorm: I’ve read a few of Dinosaur Comics, but not all of them made me laugh enough to want to follow regularly.

Dang, I also forgot to include VGCats hey! new str… DR. A.! LOOK! LOOK AT SUPER EFFECTIVE.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Yes. Look at Super Effective.
    Old and immature Pokemon jokes ftw.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hahahah, apart from anything, it updated, but Dr. A. used to do this play through thing, which was heaps of fun (until the lazy foo’ stopped), and HEY-O, if they can update, so can he.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Like a Let’s Play?
    Those can be quite hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yass, I couldn’t remember the name. Cheers. :D

How can you include funny Let’s Plays without this?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Why everyone should read Sheldon.

That and nerd jokes. 8D

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I read xkcd, Questionable Content, the Phoenix Requiem, the Meek, Piled Higher and Deeper (PHD), and SMBC.

With regards to Requiem--I guess I could see how Anya's a Sue. But she doesn't get on my nerves, for whatever reason.

And okay, I am a complete and utter sucker for Jonas. I blame Ten's hair and sideburns and his feet, yes I do.

<<
    >>

With regards to Requiem—I guess I could see how Anya’s a Sue. But she doesn’t get on my nerves, for whatever reason.

And okay, I am a complete and utter sucker for Jonas. I blame Ten’s hair and sideburns and his feet, yes I do.

I am of the same opinion.

I read Gunnerkrigg Court, Zombie Hunters, Order of the Stick, Dreamless, and Phoenix Requiem. I am very far behind on two of the aforementioned comics a

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

Irregular Webcomic made me rofl today.

Mainly because someone on the AS lj linked to that same trope only recently.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

Not as good as the “pirate soft-wear” one. That had me lolling all day.

It’s a mercy he didn’t link to tvtropes, I’ve been trying to break my habit.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

I read CAD, Darths and Droids, Dr. McNinja, OOTS, AGAHF and xkcd. Darths and Droids I read because it’s hilarious, Dr. McNinja I read because it’s awesome, OOTS I read to find out what happens next, AGAHF I read because I feel compelled to, xkcd I read because it’s witty, and CAD I read for some reason that I don’t quite understand, but I still read it, and I don’t care if you don’t like it, Yahtzee, because I do.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah I still read CAD, and I dunno why either.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited

I read xkcd, and another which no one has mentioned yet….the amazing, yet relatively unknown A Girl and her Fed

It’s amazing, a little political sometimes, but spectacular. There’s a genius koala, forty thousand undead pixies, a girl who would fit in perfectly with us on II… (when asked to create a distraction, she lights a pedophile’s tie on fire…)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’ve vaguely heard of that one, but never had my interest hijacked to have a look at it. What’s it about?

Well, it starts out with a girl (mid twenties age) finding out one of her letters has been opened and resealed. She’s on a government watch list and is being followed by a fed (a secret agent type, this is busywork for him). Said fed has a cybernetic implant thingy called the chip. Remember how MS Word used to have that paperclip helper? The chip has one of those- the Bitty Bush! It is useless and annoying. Girl sees Fed, they talk, eventually discovery a conspiracy!

Did I mention the ghost of Ben Franklin is involved? And the aforementioned koala :)

The strip is a little liberal, but not in an offensive way. I’m pretty conservative and I love it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

And about the evil, annoying chips being named after President Bush, the author herself has said that it wasn’t a political statement and in retrospect Nixon would have been a better choice. I’m fairly conservative myself, but I still like it.

I know! It’s hilarious!

I love Speedy. :)

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

Cyanide and Happiness. ‘Nuff said.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009

Dammit, ever since that site, I can’t stop imagining the daily Garfield strip in the newspaper minus Garfield. :P

Oh, everyone, read Today Nothing Happened for a Twilight twist. XD (You have to vote for it on TopWebComics, totallyworthit).

I read mostly OotS, but I’ve read Girl Genius. Want to read more, but I started late, and it’s easier and faster to catch up with OotS.

I started Templar, Arizona a while back, but the constant and pitch-black sensation of metaphorically being in the dark got to me.

Note to those of who who haven’t heard of or read it: It’s quite, er, Not Safe for Work at all as it contains much inappropriate content and profanity.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009

I’m not terribly fond of Girl Genius.

Hahahah, I agree, it wasn’t the BRILLIANTNESS I was led to believe, a lot of it is poooorrrrnnn, but it’s fun and enjoyable and upbeat. :D

The only one I read regularly is Ctrl-Alt-Del but I’m quickly losing interest in it. I started 8 bit theatre but couldn’t keep it going.

le-gasp.

You should really keep going through 8-bit theatre. The art evolves a lot over the course of the story, which is surprisingly complex and actually works. Somehow. I’m not quite sure how. But somehow. It does have its bad moments though. I think the author went through a phase of over-wordyness and walls of texts. I’ve been following on and off since the beginning, and the ending we’re coming up to is just hilarious.

Also, twenty thumbs up for Daisy Owl.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

I have stopped following Ctrl Alt Del. The quality has shot down since the infamous miscarriage.. I’m slowly working my way through 8 bit theater.

I officially blame WW for hooking me on A Girl And Her Fed.

After a false start where I couldn’t get into it… I’m addicted. I love it. It’s awesome. But I can’t stop reading.

My brother is always on me to read Dr. McNinja and Erfworld. I did like McNinja but I only read the first few arcs for whatever reason. I didn’t really care for Erfworld, but read it all the way to whatever the current chapter was in order for him to agree to watch Gurren Lagann.

My favorite by far is Powerup Comics. Nothing even comes close.

• CommentTimeOct 4th 2009 edited

Oh, Smarta….YAY! Someone I know finally reads it!!!!

Ooh, have you caught up to the current comics? Please, tell me you have, because there is this amazing scene with the psychotic koala….

Yes, I have. “Fascinating! This is not how I imagined the face of pure evil.” And then his baby act… oh God.. roflmao.

It was wonderful. I love his evil little monologue, and how one of the poor agents tries cuddling him- bad idea!

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

I finished rice boy (wonderful), currently reading Order of Tales, xkcd, Dinosaur Comics, dresden codak, assorded others? I have to get back to work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009 edited

I felt sorry for the agent – you gotta love pet the koala moments.

Oh, you linked to TvTropes- fiend! I resisted clicking, because I have an essay to finish and brunch to find.

>My favorite by far is Powerup Comics. Nothing even comes close.

It’s like Ctrl-Alt-Del meets Sonichu meets Carlos Mencia.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009

Hahaha, I love how evil Speedy is! Absolutely my favorite character.

Well, except for Ben.

And the Fed.

Oh, and the Girl, too.

...never mind, I love them all.

My favorite characters in order of awesome:

Sparky: I’m in love. pant, pant
    Girl: Is me. I really wish I had kick-ass judo skills, though. And a pixie to play the stock market for me.
    Speedy: Aw, he’s so cute. And trampled. I love battered things!
    Ben: Yay, Ben! Sort of pervy, but hilarious!

It’s like Ctrl-Alt-Del meets Sonichu meets Carlos Mencia.

I think you mean “It’s like Awesome meets Amazing meets Ass-kicking.”

Let me see….

Sparky: Oh, Sparky. Sparky, Sparky, Sparky. If it weren’t for the fact that Girl would kill me, I would totally hunt him down. Yum!
    Girl: Is me if I were liberal and a judo master. I would happily light a pedophile’s tie on fire :D
    Speedy: Oh God. Do not annoy the koala! I love him- borderline evil, violent, yet snuggly.
    Ben: Yay for Ben! Occasionally does something stupid, but makes up for it by being badass.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

Sparky: Agreed. Mmmm…
    Girl: Sort of the opposite of me, actually. I’m a complete wimp and very conservative (although, due to my obsessive Internet habits, I’m extremely against any form of censorship whatsoever, if that counts as a liberal point of view… I consider it a cross-party viewpoint, but whatever). Although… random acts of violence do sound rather fun…
    Speedy: shudder I do not want to be anywhere near him. Adorable, yes, but as recent comics show, he’s best admired from afar…
    Ben: SO CUTE! Love him so much. He’s awesome.

Have you guys seen the newest one?

CONSPIRACY THEORY BELOW:

• CommentTimeOct 10th 2009

Oh, her name is Hope. It was already a suspicion, now confirmed. Hope Blackwell. Yay!

I have a feeling that Alpha Shade might be terrible—but that’s a pity because of the potential in the artwork.

Edit: Disregard the previous statements, it just sucks. The characters look alike, their personalities are… ewrgh. The dialogue is unrealistic and very, very stilted. Cripes, how did I not realise its terribleness? It’s worse than Boxbot.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited

@WW

Why “Blackwell”?

@Windmere

I only got about five pages in – you’re right, the artwork looks good (I would kill to draw even a fraction that well, but I may be biased since I can’t draw at all and therefore almost everything looks good to me), but I lost interest really, really fast. Nothing was happening.

• CommentTimeOct 11th 2009

Alien…

She does filler art sometimes when she doesn’t have a strip ready

And one bit of filler was a bio page for each character….. look

Ahh… headdesk I feel stoopid.

Thanks!

I hope posting here isn’t inappropriate, but Lackadaisy seems quite excellent so far.

Update: I’ve read the entire archive now. It is brilliant. I rank it up there with the winsome Gunnerkrigg Court.

I am incredibly antsy. I want AGAHF to update, dammit! I need more Hope Girl! I need more Sparky! I need more Ben and Speedy and Wants-A-Sandwich! I AM IN DIRE NEED OF AGAHF!

Meanwhile, try reading Lackadaisy.

Which also needs to update more. sigh Beautiful art comes with a heavy price.

I am! Thank you!

I’m glad you’re reading it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

WHYYYYY!!!! Why are all my webcomics blocked at school?! Darths & Droids isn’t, but it updates Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday, and I already read yesterday’s.

• CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

Bahahahahaha, today’s AGAHF is amazing. Woohoo for Conan the Barbarian reference!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited

Has anyone seen this?
    I’m not sure whether to be impressed, appalled, unsurprised or confused.

I do like that they started with The Five Doctors, though. Nice way of introducing people.

I love AGAHF. I’ve gotten attached to it in the same way as I get attached to good fanfics.

I WANT UPDATES, DAMNIT!

• CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

I know! Isn’t it amazing? Poor Stick-Dolly, no side-switching for you. Must…update….at least we get one tonight/tomorrow morning, so yay!

• CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

Aww, honey, the art is being rebooted. The first strips are redone, then they go back to old, crappy art. She’s working her way through redoing all of them, but it’s time-consuming. Pwease, give it a chance. Soon enough it goes back to the good art, and then it is awesome.

Plus, come on- there’s a genius koala. And the ghost of Ben Franklin. And a crazy Girl. And a 6’5 Fed.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009

Who I love very, very much. (the Fed. Not the Girl, koala, or ghost. Although I do like Ben as well. :))

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

[double-post, I know, I’m sorry! :(]

Doc Hastings (the Dr. McNinja guy) has an adorable Pomeranian named Commissioner James Gordon, and it was nominated for the Cutest Dog Competition. Vote for it!! It’s actually quite adorable- there’s a couple of videos on Youtube with Gordon, and he’s soooo cuuuute!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

[triple post, but this was awesome enough to resurrect this thread!]

The end of the latest Dr. McNinja story: BEST ENDING EVER. Completely redeemed it for me, because I didn’t like it up to this point! Awesome.

(also, I just realized Gordito was 12, and also realized I should have known)

My biggest ones:
    Dr McNinja
    Order of the Stick
    Darths & Droids
    8Bit Theater

The rest are sort of rare. I recommend Partially Clips to this group.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

I read Darth & Droids out of loyalty (long term Irregular Webcomic reader), but honestly, it’s not as funny as DM of the Rings.

Edit: also, has everyone seen the new Headtrip strip today? I was so psyched this morning. :3

What could be Jeni?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Oh good, I was starting to think I was the only one.

And actually, OotS. :D Yes, that’s right.

I think this strip sums up why.

Heh, I’m sure Jeni has a lot in common with Haley.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I’m just going to mention the ones that haven’t already been mentioned. What’s scary is that I follow most of the webcomics already mentioned. o_o

Cealdian
    Looking for Group
    Narbonic
    Freefall
    Thorn
    The Dreamland Chronicles

What few people realize is that this is an exact replication of how sansafro and I spent 1 weekend.

(he was Elan of course)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Heh, I’m sure Jeni has a lot in common with Haley.

My favourite characters are Thog (in the leprechaun costume) and Mr. Scruffy.

What’s scary is that I follow most of the webcomics already mentioned. o_o

Not so much, they’re all pretty famous ones. ;)

I must admit, I look at the ad for Dreamland and it always puts me off, because it just looks so tacky. The brief summary didn’t exactly attract me, either.

Edit: aw, shucks, I need to update my list some day… TOMORROW. DEFINITELY TOMORROW. NOT NOW.

Gnnnnh… must… close… Firefox…

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Not so much, they’re all pretty famous ones. ;)

Then I shall have to dig up my list of more obscure ones! dramatic pose

Because realistically, I follow almost 50 webcomics. But I never realized that before now. o_o

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

:D Hurrah! I like hearing of obscure webcomics, as much as I like the big ones, it gets boring when the same names are repeated.

Via Today Nothing Happened I got to hear of/read some other webcomics, as they were all created for a college course, and some people continued once they finished the class.

I read some but never added them to my list. Just… too many for now. ;_;

Totally not here, lawl.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Headtrip is baaaaaaaaaaack!

Yay, two updates to AGAHF! And whumping! Lots of whumping!

The one I will never forgive:

Van Von Hunter ROCKED. (I even have all 3 manga) but they seem to have stopped updating.