Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Thoughts, opinions, gripes, and so on.

I’ll start the discussion with this: do you think that a young writer shouldn’t try writing a series straight off? Because that’s what I’m doing. Honestly, I know everyone will say ‘start with a short story’, but I’ve never had any ideas that really made me excited to write, and the one that I currently have is definitely not a short story, and I like dividing things just to keep them neat and organized.

So…let the frenzy begin. Or not. We can deal with this like civilized people if you want. It’s less fun, but easier to clean up after.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009

Do short stories, but of the backstory of your world or characters. That way you keep your beautifully thought and planned out world, and you get practice by fleshing it out.

I don’t see the problem with writing a series if your story is long enough for one. Just make sure you aren’t just dragging it out to fill however many books, and it should be okay.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

I admire people who can write series(es?). It’s depressingly easy for me to get tired of characters/storylines/other things having to do with the story that I can only stick with them long enough to finish (I hope) a single novel-length story. I just don’t have that kind of long-lasting single-subject creative juice at present. But it would be nice to be able to do that, someday.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’d like to write a novel with someone on here, either outside or within NaNo.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Aw gee, that would be really cool. You’d probably have to find someone with vaguely the same writing style as you, though. Otherwise it might be strange.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, true. Still, would be nice.

Sorry, not much of a team player when it comes to writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

See, I dunno if I am or not. I’d like to try though.

I’ve never understood how people write stories “together.” It seems like it would be difficult. Do they go through line by line and deside on what to write, or do they each write a section? Or maybe they both contribute ideas/characters, but only one does the actual writing? How does this work exactly, Virgil? I’ve always wondered about it whenever I see a book that has multiple authors that is ficiton.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I suppose it would depend on who is writing it. In Good Omens, (Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman [you’d think that much win in one book would tear a hole in the universe]) they explain a bit how they wrote it, mainly they’d both write sections and then work on them together. I assume thats how its done generally, line by line would get very annoying.

line by line would get very annoying.

My thoughts exactly. I just really had no idea… but I’ve never been a “group” person. I always do all the work because I’m afraid other people will screw it up, even if they are willing to help. I would probably be a horrible writing partner. I’d either not contribute for fear of looking like an idiot or want to take over the whole thing. Although I do like some of these role-playing games on here, but those are just for fun, and the ones I participate in are supposed to be relatively funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’ve never done it so I have no idea how I would act.

I always do all the work because I’m afraid other people will screw it up, even if they are willing to help.

See, that’s exactly my problem. Also, I just don’t think I’d like the idea of writing with someone else. I’d love to just have a dedicated editor to go through my story (line by line) and give me constructive feedback, and then toss me back to fix everything myself.

I’d love to just have a dedicated editor to go through my story (line by line) and give me constructive feedback, and then toss me back to fix everything myself.

I would like that too.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well, we have teams of editors, but a dedicated one would be sweet.

All of life’s problems can be solved with the creative use of Necromancy.

Well, we have teams of editors

You mean for the site? Or for something you do in the “real” world?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No, as in our community.

That’s what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.

The other day my friend sent me some of her writing as an attachment. I opened it and went through it, inserting all of my immediate and not always relevant thoughts, of course with a dash of humor. I kind of wish someone would go that detailed for me. Of course, I love editing as well. I love nitpicking over my friend’s writing, and I don’t hesitate to say it when I notice something off.

The other day my friend sent me some of her writing as an attachment. I opened it and went through it, inserting all of my immediate and not always relevant thoughts, of course with a dash of humor. I kind of wish someone would go that detailed for me. Of course, I love editing as well. I love nitpicking over my friend’s writing, and I don’t hesitate to say it when I notice something off.

See, if only you could do that for yourself. Well, if we could. That would be really excellent, but for me I simply can’t judge my writing well. I’ll ask someone, “Hey, wouldn’t that be a cool title? Or does it sound horrible and cheesy?”

“Um…”

Well, you could, but you just can’t see things from a fresh perspective. Maybe if you locked away a document for five years and then looked back, but that just takes too long.

EDIT: Feel free to bounce off titles here if you want to, though. I know it’s not important in comparison to other things, but I love thinking about them too.

EDIT: Feel free to bounce off titles here if you want to, though. I know it’s not important in comparison to other things, but I love thinking about them too.

Oh, thanks. I can’t ask very many people about [good] titles, so that would be great.

I’ve sent writing to one of my friends, and mostly says, “That’s really good. I like it.” And, while praise is nice, I want to shout, “Yes… but what’s wrong with it?!”

I can’t be objective about my own writing either, hmyd.

Yes, exactly. Or, I send out an email, and I don’t get much of a response at all. Sometimes I do get good bits of information that I didn’t spot before, though.

Yeah, she always says, “Sorry I don’t have more constructive criticism.” I’m not really mad, just disappointed that I have no one to help me edit stuff.

I’ve given things to teachers before, and they just say that it’s good and that it doesn’t look like anything’s wrong with it. I think they’re checking grammar or something. That’s not what I want. I can check grammar.

I would never give creative writing to a teacher. I’m just too self conscious. I can’t even show my stuff to my family, for pete’s sake!

SWQ: I used to be like that a few years ago. In my case, I grew out of it. I’m even beginning to show them some of my songs, which is like the last frontier for me.

Nate, do you hear this? You are so lucky you’ve got me!

Well, you could, but you just can’t see things from a fresh perspective. Maybe if you locked away a document for five years and then looked back, but that just takes too long.

Six months is all you need, according to Scott Sigler.

I’ve never understood how people write stories “together.” It seems like it would be difficult. Do they go through line by line and deside on what to write, or do they each write a section? Or maybe they both contribute ideas/characters, but only one does the actual writing? How does this work exactly, Virgil? I’ve always wondered about it whenever I see a book that has multiple authors that is ficiton.

I co-wrote something with a friend. We wrote different sections, each trying to outdo each other in craziness, and it turned out really well. When writing a song, my co-writer and I worked on it together, line by line.

But anyway, series. I think you should write whatever you want to write.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009 edited

I’ve sent writing to one of my friends, and mostly says, “That’s really good. I like it.” And, while praise is nice, I want to shout, “Yes… but what’s wrong with it?!”

This. I’ve gotten some pretty decent criticism out of my betas, but I really had to wring it out of them and that’s never pleasant. Most of the initial comments were, “I like it. At points I forgot you were the one writing it.” – _ – You’ve just got to explain to them, in the politest way possible, that you aren’t just asking them to read it for fun, or to give you asspats.

As for the thread topic, that’s what I’m shooting for, as unrealistic as it is. There’s no way my male protagonist’s character arc will be wrapped up by the end of the one I’m on, besides all the disparate elements that are just in there for me to use later.

The way I figure it, if I can’t find a publisher, it will probably because the prose is lackluster, the dialogue is weak, and the characters aren’t clearly drawn, rather than because it isn’t entirely self-contained.

@Virgil

Working together sounds interesting. Something I’ve tried before but it didn’t work, but hey, if you want, I’m always open.

/homo?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

/homo?..?

But yeah, I’d love to get together.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009 edited

Here’s my number.

Call me.

Wink.

EDIT: But really, yeah, message me if you’d like to try it sometime.

Damn, it is hard to formulate a sentence without any homoeroticism.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

No, it really isn’t. :D

Dirty minds, dirty minds…

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

Dirty things please dirty minds.

No comment.

Dirty things please dirty minds.

That sounds like the opening to a terrible comedy film. Or not.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

I don’t know why Oscar Wilde flashed in my mind as I scrolled down through this thread…

Weird.

Wait for it. Someone will say it sounds like the opening to a great comedy film. But not me.

EDIT: @ DoubleR: I can guess.