Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Um… before.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012

...In the years following the 100 year war, Sokka struggled with a cactus juice addiction that would eventually lead to his early death…

Cactus juice. Not even once, kids.

less laugh-out-loud funny

That said, I thought there were more subtle jokes than usual in relation to the overall spectacle. The final punchline to Leonard’s interview aside(“I know the sound of crap hitting the fan”) was the expectation that he’d blow a raspberry…. and then he went all serious with it. Awesome.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

Just caught an episode of _Person of Interest_. That show gets points just for featuring a Kris's Super V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012 edited

[hide][/hide]

Nope, didn’t laugh. The GIF is mildly funny, IMO.

Thing is, I tend to laugh out loud more at inane silliness and the like, hence why Happy Endings makes me laugh so much. The slower pace of Community and lack of things I find ridiculously silly enough to laugh keep it from being laugh-out-loud funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

@swenson: frogs is about halfway through season one, cactus juice comes about halfway through season two.

But that is some funny stuff.

“It’s a…giant…mushroom…”

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

MAYBE IT’S FRIENDLY!

!!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I love the X-files music that plays when Sokka’s being a whack job. .

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius

EDIT: Sorry about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

WHY do you TYPE these things?!

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius

bq. WHY do you TYPE these things?!

Sorry, man, it's gone now.
    • CommentAuthorSen

What am I looking at, a pillow monster?

Yeah, jam it up in there. There. I see you, bitch. I fucking see you.”

It’s inappropriate and so it probably shouldn’t be funny. But it is.

What am I looking at, a pillow monster?

Last night’s Community was about a campus-wide pillowfight war between Troy’s blanket fort and Abed’s pillow fort, framed as a pseudo-PBS/History Channel documentary. The gif is the superweapon designed and piloted by Chevy Chase’s character.

It’s inappropriate and so it probably shouldn’t be funny. But it is.

Success.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

MAYBE IT’S FRIENDLY!

GIANT MUSHY FRIEND!

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

GIANT MUSHY FRIEND!

TIME TO WAVY ARMS.

Last night’s Community was about a campus-wide pillowfight war between Troy’s blanket fort and Abed’s pillow fort, framed as a pseudo-PBS/History Channel documentary. The gif is the superweapon designed and piloted by Chevy Chase’s character.

This sounds awesome. I need to watch this show.

I need to watch this show.

Yeah, no shit :P I’d say it’s locked in a duel to the death with Archer for best comedy on TV right now, and Archer is the lovechild of Frisky Dingo and Arrested Development. A stronger pedigree there ain’t. Community is live action, though, so it gets degree of difficulty points. It’d be much easier for Archer to make a compelling episode about, say, a Dungeons and Dragons game or a zombie outbreak or a Battle Royale-style paintball game since it’s not that much different than animating regular scenes.

Thing is, as great as last night’s episode was, it didn’t even sniff my personal top 5 in either concept or execution. I need to rewatch it again, though.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012

campus-wide pillowfight war

sigh

My student-life needs to be this interesting.

campus-wide pillowfight war

Alas, from my sister’s reports of community college, this does not happen in real life. :(

Thanks for the offer, sansa. My break has been very disappointing in terms of watching TV, and with AP exams coming up, I’m going to have no time until after May.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012 edited

Natch. If you wind up with a half-hour to kill at some point, the episode in question is here if you’re curious. It would probably be somewhat confusing out of context, since it’s the conclusion of a two-parter and the emotional core is part of something that’s been building all season long, but it’s still worth checking out if you’re wondering if it’s a show for you.

Re: Game of Thrones- WHY is there still sexposition? Whyyyyy?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012

Best term ever for worst thing ever.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Supposedly Dany’s actor refuses to do any more nude scenes, so that’ll definitely reduce the amount of notsuitableforparents scenes. Of course, we still have Shae and Cersei…

sexposition

lol’d irl

There’s gotta be boobs, and I guess there’s gotta be exposition, so I suppose they figure they’ll combine the two, so if you don’t want to listen to it, there’s boobs to take your attention instead.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

It wasn’t the sex that bothered me. No, what bothered me was that Littlefinger wiped the lovejuice from a lady’s face and two seconds later she’s making out with another gent.

Best term ever for worst thing ever.

I won’t take credit for making it up, but it is indeed apt.

Of course, we still have Shae and Cersei…

And miscellaneous prostitutes.

There’s gotta be boobs, and I guess there’s gotta be exposition, so I suppose they figure they’ll combine the two, so if you don’t want to listen to it, there’s boobs to take your attention instead.

Ugh, but it’s so lazy. It’s pretty laughable as well.

I've given up on Doctor Who.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

D:

Any reason in particular?

bq. Any reason in particular?

He's a self-righteous hyprocrite.

The Doctor? How so?

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012 edited

bq. The Doctor? How so?

Okay, so he get's all over the clone Doctor for 'genocide' of the Daleks, never mind what he and the other Time Lords did the same thing to the Daleks or that Doctor personally exterminated the last of that red spider thing's race in the christmas star episode then when Donna says that the guy who tried to feed her to red spider-woman thing deserved what he got, he gives this reproving look, despite what he just did and then when Harriet Jones ordered the destruction of that Skigarax ship he gets all over her.

Oh… yeah. Well, skip ahead to series 5 and it fixes that.

bq. Well, skip ahead to series 5 and it fixes that.

Really?

Yeah, no Doctor randomly committing genocide and then chiding other people for doing the same thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The Doctor’s infamously self-righteous anyway, but I think Eleven improves substantially in that regard.

bq. Yeah, no Doctor randomly committing genocide and then chiding other people for doing the same thing.

Okay, I'll give it another chance.

bq. The Doctor’s infamously self-righteous anyway, but I think Eleven improves substantially in that regard.

You mean he's deliberately written that way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

With self-righteousness? Sometimes I think he is, sometimes I think it’s a result of different writers wanting to portray him as the pacifist hero and the cold, does-what-he-has-to type, and forgetting that the two are difficult to reconcile. Maybe that’s the biggest thing, really, is that we don’t want the Doctor to be this vicious killer, but we don’t want him to be passive either. So they try to show both things and just ignore the elephant in the room that the two do not, in any way, shape, or form, fit together nicely.

Kids on the Slope made my mouth water.

Man, the last few minutes of Community tonight made my heart hurt again that Donald Glover will never be Spider-Man. It took all my will not to give my TV a comforting bro-hug.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited

I wasn’t planning on following Once Upon A Time because it looked like it was just about … fairy tale characters in the modern day world, or something? But I was looking for something to watch this morning and I saw Gus Fring in it. :D :D :D

And – and he’s nice and he smiles and stuff. And when he does, he means it. :D

Avengers EMH and Young Justice are satisfying the superhero fan in me.

I wasn’t planning on following Once Upon A Time because it looked like it was just about … fairy tale characters in the modern day world, or something?

That show is the bane of my existence! I can tell the acting’s mediocre and the sets are crap and the storyline is glacial…and yet I keep watching, and waiting impatiently for the next episode to appear on Hulu. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MEEEE?

So the season finale of Young Justice, anything I’d post would be a spoiler, but I’d just like to say, “Wow.”

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012

Detective Conan is such a good show. The episodes just keep getting better and better and better.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

That show is the bane of my existence! I can tell the acting’s mediocre and the sets are crap mediocre and the storyline is glacial the worst thing ever…and yet I keep watching

This is me and Glee.

I’ve just started watching Sherlock BBC- the brand new modern adaption.Amazing cinematography, acting, scriptwriting, etc. Benedict Cumberbatch is also now on the long list of British people that I want to marry.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Marquis – I haven’t watched much of Young Justice (always meant to, but never seemed to find time to sit down and watch them all once I got behind), but it’s pretty good, then? I adore the original Young Justice comics, and though I know it’s a different team with different people on it, I was hopeful it’d be a great show to do honor to the source of its name.

I’ve watched a very little bit of Young Justice (I have a lot of it recorded, but no idea if it’s the whole season. >.<) and it was so good. I think I nearly exploded with plot bunnies the first two episodes. Unfortunately my tolerance for anything intense was really low at the time so I’m at episode… 4? Something like that. Keep meaning to pick it up.

Yes, it gets really good once the Light reveal themselves. And while it doesn’t have much to do with the original comic (though it does have Peter David among the writers), it does more than enough service for the DC Universe.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Pity it’s not like the original comic, but it still sounds pretty good. I should watch some episodes sometime, then.

There’s statewide standardized testing this week, so I’ll probably be off work for most of it since you need to be an actual school employee to administer that. First thing I’m gonna do is watch Justified Season 3 and try to convince myself there’s nothing gay about watching Timothy Olyphant in a cowboy hat.

After that, though, anybody got any suggestions for shows you’d think I’d like? The only other TV show on my list is S5 of Friday Night Lights, and I’m not letting myself watch it until I’m done with my current novel draft.

SUGGEST AT ME

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Glee.

/joke thread

Young Justice

^ Ahahhahahhaa. Good one, Inky.

I don’t know, I’ve been watching pretty crap TV lately because I’m constrained by what’s appropriate for my little brother to watch and Avatar hasn’t been on. Are you open to movie suggestions? Though statistically speaking, you’ve probably seen more than me anyway.

On a TV-related thread, my dad didn’t like the Buffy episode The Body. There’s no hope for him.

Dead Like Me is quite awesome.

On another note, I’m only halfway done with A Clash of Kings, and I keep trying to figure out what actually happens in the book and what they made up for the show. So, spoilers:

Glee.

I feel like I should shove you in a locker.

Young Justice

How many episodes are there?

Are you open to movie suggestions?

Yes, though aside from my Kurosawa backlog, I don’t really watch movies anymore. If you think one is really good I’ll consider it, though.

Dead Like Me is quite awesome.

Well, you generally have pretty good taste, so this is the leader right now I imagine.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Detective Conan would keep you occupied for a while…

How many episodes are there?

26, so far.

Also, you can watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

EDIT: Damn, double post.

26, so far.

Oh, that’s not too bad. Do you actually need to be a DC reader to appreciate it?

Detective Conan would keep you occupied for a while…

FOREVER MAYBE

Also, you can watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

FOREVER AND A DAY MAYBE

Do you actually need to be a DC reader to appreciate it?

Not really. I know a guy who despises Superman that loves the show.

If you think one is really good I’ll consider it, though.

Have you seen Pan’s Labyrinth? One of my all-time favorites.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

Has Sansa seen the new Battlestar Galactica? It might be in line with his tastes.

Just got hooked on Carl Sagan’s Cosmos.

Dammit I have work to do and it is distracting.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

So if there’s one message Doctor Who’s (2005 reboot) fifth episode can tell us, it’s that fat people are aliens.

On an unrelated note, I have decided I might as well watch the new Doctor Who (though I started and got through the first four episodes some time ago).

Just got hooked on Carl Sagan’s Cosmos.

We watched a few of those in my high school astronomy class. He has a quality that makes him kind of adorable, but I’m not sure what it is. Maybe it’s his enthusiasm for what he’s talking about?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Re: The Bollywood-esque song: That is how you do music, Smash. So much better than all the Karen “Electric-Voice” Cartwright covers.

We watched a few of those in my high school astronomy class. He has a quality that makes him kind of adorable, but I’m not sure what it is. Maybe it’s his enthusiasm for what he’s talking about?

Yes, I was thinking that as well.
    He’s like Miser Rogers, only with science.

My mom gets so into The Voice, it’s hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012

I just started watching Portlandia. There’s only a half dozen episodes (at least on Netflix), but it’s freakin’ hilarious. I remember that we looked at moving to Portland right after we got married and after driving around there, my husband was greatly weirded-out and said in an almost shell-shocked voice, “It’s like a world where Kurt Cobain never died.” We didn’t move there.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

But, but—Laini Taylor! Colin Meloy! How could you not want to live in the same city as those awesome people?

I watched the first episode of Portlandia a couple months ago. I thought it was decent, actually, but didn’t care for it enough to continue.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012 edited

How could you not want to live in the same city as those awesome people?

It reminded me of what the my college town would look like if it grew into a metropolitan area. When they have signs up saying, “Keep Portland Weird!”, they mean it. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

It reminded me of what the my college town would look like if it grew into a metropolitan area. When they have signs up saying, “Keep Portland Weird!”, they mean it. ;)

I’ve never actually been to Portland, so your opinion should be more valid than mine. (Though I feel like I might like the city; I have an amount of hipster in me.)

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

It’s certainly not a bad city, it just wasn’t somewhere that I’d fit in.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m about halfway through Young Justice and I am loving this! It’s not precisely like the original, but it’s obviously been heavily influenced by it, and it’s really neat to see elements from the original being woven into the series in new ways. The first few episodes I wasn’t totally sure on, but the plot so far is great. Each episode does have its own story, of course, but the overarching story is being built up extremely well from episode to episode, and it’s surprisingly dark. (I’m not sure if anybody has actually died directly on screen yet, but they haven’t gone out of their way to imply otherwise in a number of cases.)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012

Just finished Christopher Eccleston’s run as the Doctor! I can’t wait to get acquainted to the new one, as he seems to be the fan favorite (all the gifs and images I see are of him).

“It’s not a favor, Mr. Winger. A man’s gotta have a code.”

Yes he does, Professor Omar. Yes he does.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012

Didja stick around for 30 Rock? Donald Glover made an appearance as young Tracy.

Nope, switched over to the Draft. I’ll probably stream the rest of NBC’s lineup this weekend. Can’t really do that for the Draft.

Marathoning WITCH for some reason. Used to love this shit back in middle school.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012

Community...

I have no words.

I found a few(“so fucking great”), but I’ll concede they probably fell a little bit short.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

People keep telling me I need to watch Community because it’s totally my working life.

And I’m like, I spend more time than I want to with my working life already; dwelling on it as a form of entertainment is not high on the list of “Want to Do“s.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hmm, seems like we’ve got a Jeff over here.

I’ll watch an equivalent number of seasons to any show you want if you watch Community, Kyllorac.

And you should be watching it because it’s almost always great and sometimes transcedant and, most importantly, really goddamn funny, rather than how it may relate to your life.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I saw the Law and Order episode.

...meh.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

My thoughts too. It seemed more dedicated to just following the formula than actually making jokes about it—really, it veered to far into that “we say we’re parodying this but in actuality we’re just doing it” territory.

There were shitloads of jokes about it.

...meh.

I’d suggest a drinking game for this, but I’d like to retain use of my liver into my late twenties.

I’m watching Ultimate Spider-Man. Urge to kill rising.

I’m afraid to watch USM. I loved the comic back in the day, and really liked Spectacular so as a combo of the two there’s no way USM can be good.

SHADOWBABIES HOLY SHITBUCKETS

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

Shadowbabies as in that thing in Game of Thrones? I watched my first episode last night and it happened to be that one. What. The. Hell. What. The. Bloody. Hell.

I might make efforts to catch up and continue watching it, but if creepy shit like that keeps happening…

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012 edited

You should probably begin at the beginning if it’s at all possible.

if creepy shit like that keeps happening…

You’ve seen Breaking Bad. You can handle it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

You should probably read the books if it’s at all possible. :wink

I watched my first episode last night and it happened to be that one. What. The. Hell. What. The. Bloody. Hell. I might make efforts to catch up and continue watching it, but if creepy shit like that keeps happening…

You should probably begin at the beginning if it’s at all possible.

There’s no escape from creepy/gross things, with this show.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, I forget that not everyone knows the, um, reputation of ASOIAF. It’s through that series (although I haven’t read it personally) that I first learned of a number of interesting terms, like “twincest”.

Oh God, I’m watching J-dramas. Specifically, a show called Nobuta wo Produce. Be ashamed of me.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Maybe I’m just more cynical than usual, but I feel like the acting in Game of Thrones feels really forced and awkward. It’s like watching a bunch of Americans attempt a British accent. That said, I think the actors of Tyrion, Davos, and Jorah are doing a good job.

Tyrion

is awesome. I think Cercei is decent too.

It’s like watching a bunch of Americans attempt a British accent.

It kind of does… but aren’t a significant portion of the cast actually British? And they still kind of sound like that.

SHADOWBABIES HOLY SHITBUCKETS

I didn’t really see the purpose of having that. It was just gross. It looked like demonic pond scum was coming out of her or something. I don’t see why it would be that hard to connect the dots between

Maybe I’m just more cynical than usual, but I feel like the acting in Game of Thrones feels really forced and awkward.

I see what you mean, yeah. I actually notice this more with Littlefinger than anyone else, but I may just be biased.

That said, I think the actors of Tyrion, Davos, and Jorah are doing a good job.

I would add Arya and Varys to that list. I thought that the actor for Viserys was also really good.

I didn’t really see the purpose of having that. It was just gross. It looked like demonic pond scum was coming out of her or something. I don’t see why it would be that hard to connect the dots between

It didn’t have to be so long. Same thing with Stannis/Melisandre sex scene. That was just weird.

Although, I’m liking the actress who plays Melisandre better than I thought I would. Her accent works.

Littlefinger doesn’t always work for me, but I think it has a lot more to do with them overwriting the character than Aiden Gillen himself. I’ve rewatched The Wire enough to know the man can do smug weaselly charm if the material allows him to.