Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012

Could you give some examples?

Happy Endings, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock—though, as I said “I think,” keep in mind that that’s just my opinion. Humor is largely subjective.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012 edited

Gahhhhhhhh.

No matter what TV show you’re talking about, you guys know when a show brings on someone new as a love interest? And they get touted as ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for an established character, even though we don’t see much of the new character, and what we do see is mostly awful, douchey behavior? Yet everyone raves that OMG THEY ARE PERFECT FOR (ESTABLISHED CHARACTER)?

Yeah. This is seriously pissing me off.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012

You just described every HIMYM episode ever.

• CommentTimeMar 19th 2012

Dude. Not cool. I don’t bitch about how much I hated the five or so episodes of Community I’ve seen, so please lay off HIMYM. I know it isn’t to your taste, but I think it’s funny and quirky.

TV isn’t rebroadcasting Avatar:TLA or Daria. I am sad. :(

Had the day off yesterday, so I watched Generation Kill. It was pretty kickass, and it’s pretty obvious it was written by the creators of The Wire. Also, Ziggy was a marine, and I didn’t want to strangle him.

I know it isn’t to your taste

Hasn’t Puppet watched HIMYM for a long time?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012

I’ve watched up until Season 7 (2012) episode 12 (#148).

Oh. Well, every time you mention it you complain, so I figured you didn’t like it.

Archer and Community in the same night is almost too much awesome for my brain to handle.

Hot. Hot, hot, hot.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Yeesh, an hour of 30 Rock is really too much. It’s hilarious and awesome, but so exhausting.

And even if it isn’t truly authentic, Awake certainly seems so. Not to mention that it’s undoubtedly the best procedural I’ve ever seen, and that’s with juggling two cases plus family drama in a single 42 minute episode.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Right, instead of typing up a 50 page essay on why I don’t find HIMYM interesting anymore, I’ll just summarize:

I never cared about the “main character” of the story, because he isn’t interesting and his story isn’t interesting. What kept me watching the show was the funny, handsome guy and the not-yet-married couple. As soon as they threw a girl into the mix and the not-yet-married couple got married, the funny, handsome guy got screwed over and the not-yet-married couple suddenly became uninteresting. Basically, they killed the things that kept me watching the show.

It’s the same reason I stopped watching The Office. I couldn’t care less about the (current) “main character.” What kept me watching was the funny guy and the not-yet-married couple. The same thing happened, a girl messed everything up and took away the funny guy and the not-yet-married couple got married and suddenly became the most boring couple in the world. All that’s left is a mediocre set of actors playing a mediocre set of characters in a mediocre TV show.

the not-yet-married couple suddenly became uninteresting

Actually, Lily and Marshall are the only reasons I continue watching that show. Somehow, couples that are married and stable have an appeal that goes beyond the eternally annoying wishy-washiness that is Ted. (Yes, Jim and Pam got boring, but the only reason they were ever interesting was the conflict. This was not as much an issue for Marshall and Lily.) Also, Alyson Hannigan and Jason Segel.

I didn’t realize that was actual French Stewart playing the French Stewart impersonator on Community last night. I feel dumb now.

Just watched my first Doctor Who ever.

Any show that can make you feel pity for a _Dalek_ must be doing something right. That and Rose Taylor is hot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012

Fringe, Y U so sad?

And, as more of a general note, why is it that Astrid only has ONE episode where she’s the focus? I mean, she’s obviously the best character and we still have such little knowledge of her!

Rose Taylor Tyler is hot.

But you will grow to hate her.

And I’m glad you’re starting with the early ones (of the reboot, that is). Was the Doctor Tennant or Eccleston in the one you watched?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eh, I never really hated her. Wasn’t immensely fond of her, but I recovered.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

With the exception of Martha, I hate all of the Doctor’s companions with a burning passion.

bq. And I’m glad you’re starting with the early ones (of the reboot, that is). Was the Doctor Tennant or Eccleston in the one you watched?

Eccleston
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Puppet – you mean in NuWho, right? Because if you hate Sarah Jane, we may have to have words.

Yeah, hating Sarah Jane is akin to blasphemy in Who fandom.

And Rory too?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

By the Doctor’s companions I mean Rose, Donna and Amy. They’re traveling through space and time and still feel the need to act like self entitled bitches all the time. Donna wasn’t nearly as bad, and I haven’t watched up to the current episodes yet so I can’t form a complete opinion on Amy, but Rose… Rose is the worst. Ugh.

I like Donna and Martha. I hate Rose. I used to think Amy was okay, but I pretty much hate her too now. I used to like Rory, but I like him less now.

bq. Rose… Rose is the worst.

She's cute though, I will put up with a lot of things if a chick's cute.

If anybody’s interested in watching The Wire and doesn’t want to rent it or shell out for the DVDs, send me a whisper in this thread. I’m doing a favor for Diamonte and I can cut other people in for almost zero additional effort.

Watching Edge of Darkness. Pretty brisk.

I remember watching ‘Til Death slowly go insane, and this article describes it perfectly.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012 edited

Oh that Todd VanDerWerff. Even in 2010 he couldn’t get through an article without mentioning Community.

edit I’ve never even heard of this show but what Todd talks about there sounds pretty fascinating.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012

I read that as: you’d never even heard of Community, and thought I was on opposite planet for a sec.

I finished Series 2 of Doctor Who.

I'm really glad they haven't done what so many shows do, the character loses someone dear to him and then by the next episode he's okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2012 edited

They left out Izanami in Persona 4: The Animation.

I mean, WHAT.

EDIT: Yeah, I know this is a poor place to talk about it since I doubt anyone cares about Persona, but I just wished to express my displeasure.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2012 edited

I have been watching so much Castle lately. I don’t really know why, but all of a sudden I decided to watch all of it.

It’s kind of interesting, actually, to compare Rick Castle to Malcolm Reynolds. They’re both very, very Nathan Fillion, but they’re also very unique characters.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2012

How far into it are you? I stopped watching it not too long ago. Maybe I’m just impatient, but I’m tired of all these “pretty not that bad” TV shows being milked to death for maximum profit.

I seem to have weird taste… I’ve been seeing all these promos and such for Mad Men lately, all gushing about what a wonderful and creative and gusty drama it is.

I’ve seen all of season one and two, and to me, it appears to be nothing more than horrible people sniping at each other :/

I’m tired of all these “pretty not that bad” TV shows being milked to death for maximum profit.

Me too. Then they go from “pretty not that bad” to “not very good but has good ratings.” It seems like when they finally kill popular shows now, they aren’t actually good anymore, and it’s like finally.

I haven’t actually seen Castle, though, so I don’t know about that one.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’d already seen the first season, now I’m almost done with the second. I like it so far, but yeah, I’ve been worried about how long they can drag it out for. I mean, how many years of Castle and Beckett pretending they don’t like each other can they go through? Unless they go through a Relationship Upgrade in a later season, of course.

I’ve seen all of season one and two, and to me, it appears to be nothing more than horrible people sniping at each other :/

Quick, everybody look shocked that Willow hates something cool!

• CommentTimeMar 31st 2012 edited

Headtilt?

Um, I didn’t hate it… just didn’t like how every episode seemed to be everyone behaving more and more badly and mean. Surely someone in the sixties wasn’t cheating on their wife/husband? Or getting drunk every night? And generally being a douche?

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway. Really liked what I’ve seen so far of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Going to try and do a little marathon sometime this weekend. Woot!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’d already seen the first season, now I’m almost done with the second. I like it so far, but yeah, I’ve been worried about how long they can drag it out for. I mean, how many years of Castle and Beckett pretending they don’t like each other can they go through? Unless they go through a Relationship Upgrade in a later season, of course.

That was my problem with the show. It went from being a pretty witty and clever mystery show to a standard and predictable cop drama. When I stopped watching (season 4, episode 10) literally every episode was the same: They have an initial suspect, but rule him out because of one reason or another, and he sets them off on a false trail that, after 40 minutes, comes full circle and back to him. And while this is a little spoiler-ish, when I stopped watching Castle was still stuck in the same old friendzone with Beckett. I just got tired of it, personally.

Quick, everybody look shocked that Willow hates something cool!

GASP

Edit:

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway. Really liked what I’ve seen so far of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Going to try and do a little marathon sometime this weekend. Woot!

How far into it are you?

About two or three episodes? So far my absolute favorite thing is Appa.

“What was it that kid said? Yee-ha? Hup hup ? Wahoo? Uh… yip yip?”

FLYING BISON!

Sokka is fun too. I think my favorite human may be Iroh… god bless him and his game of solitaire thingy.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So far my absolute favorite thing is Appa.

Wrong answer. The correct answer is “Azula.”

Edit: Iroh is a close second, though.

• CommentAuthorSen

bless him and his game of solitaire thingy.

Pai Sho! :D

Clearly you are not yet obsessed enough with this and that needs to be rectified immediately.

Going to try and do a little marathon sometime this weekend.

You will not try. You JUST DO.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012

I didn’t know we had so many Avatards on this site. :grin

I’ve barely seen Azula yet. She looks nutters.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The new series of Avatar just started, so if you go on a marathon watching spree of TLA you can start The Legend of Korra right away.

Iroh is a close second, though.

FTFY

Um, I didn’t hate it… just didn’t like how every episode seemed to be everyone behaving more and more badly and mean. Surely someone in the sixties wasn’t cheating on their wife/husband? Or getting drunk every night? And generally being a douche?

The important part isn’t what they’re doing. It’s how they’re doing it. More than any other show on the air today, Mad Men puts all its weight on subtext, metaphor, and all that other good literary shit. If you’re taking everything at face value, you’re watching it wrong.

• CommentAuthorSen

I’ve barely seen Azula yet. She looks nutters.

You will slowly come to love that nutter, even if it’s against your will.

Iroh is a close second first, though.

Fixed it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I knew you’d recognize Azula as the best character in the series, sansa. You’re a true bro.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Knowing Willow, her favorite thing will probably be the moon. Literally.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

I knew you’d recognize Azula as the best character in the series, sansa. You’re a true bro.

Always. Azula4lyfe.

Knowing Willow, her favorite thing will probably be the moon. Literally.

No way, the moon is too pretentious.

I am so, so very confused.

And I don’t care how much subtext and metaphor etc. Mad Men has, I don’t find it pleasurable or fun to watch people destroying each other, even if they are witty about it. So I don’t watch it. It’s just my personal taste. I prefer to watch stuff I enjoy. Ditto my taste in general- I won’t deny that The Great Gatsby is a good book, or that No Country For Old Men is a good film, but personally, I would happily never read/watch either of them again. There’s enough misery in the world without literature and film trying to make it worse.

Well that’s fine and dandy, but if you look at what you actually typed about it, you said that it isn’t brilliant or creative or gutsy because you don’t understand it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Wrong answer. The correct answer is “Azula.”

Someone else likes Azula the most too!

Please tell me you believe the Harry Potter books are a clever experiment in having a POV character that isn’t the protagonist because Luna is the real hero of the story.

Azula is indeed awesome. But if Willow’s not very far into the show, it makes sense that the character hasn’t had the time to grow on her yet. And I really want to be related to Iroh. He can make tea!

Luna Neville is teh real hero of teh s2ry.

Fixed it for ya.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Azula is indeed awesome. But if Willow’s not very far in2 teh show, it makes sense that teh character hasn’t had teh time 2 grow on her yet. And I really want 2 be related 2 Iroh. He can make tea

Yeah, I don’t think she was my favorite character until well into season three, and it wasn’t till the very last episode that it was concreted.

Fixed it 4 ya.

BLASPHEMY.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Personally, I never liked Azula. Yeah, she’s an interesting villain, but she’s also batsh*it crazy. And while that can be entertaining, it’s not the kind of thing that makes a character likable, at least for me.

So, yeah, I’m gonna have to side with Willow here. Iroh is probably the most awesome character in the whole series. I’d totally hang with him.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I don’t like Azula as a person, I like her as a character, if that’s what you were saying. I like how insanely frightening she can be, and her final scene was just so chilling and amazing that I can’t not list her as my favorite.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

No, no, no, you guys. The best character is Bumi. But if I have to choose one of the Gaang, it’s Toph.

And I like Zuko too. I know, I know, he’s a whiny baby most of the time, but… but… that one scene (you know what one I mean) in season 3… how could I not love him after that? (and all right, yes, I loved him long before that too!)

Azula is a pretty good character, though. I wish they would’ve stretched out her Season 3 arc a bit more, but I still think she’s a cool character.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Out of the Gaang, my favorite is Sokka because duh. I actually don’t care for Toph that much, which is funny because everyone seems to love her.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Sokka is pretty awesome too, I’ll agree with you on that one.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Sokka is pretty awesome 2o, I’ll agree with u on that one.

I don’t believe I ever said he was awesome. :P But he is, so it’s all good.

(Nitpicking! Yay!)

Sokka and Toph are definitely my picks out of the Gaang. Sokka is just…hilarious.

Oh God, Toonami’s back!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012

I finished Chuck today (2 months late, I know)...

tl;dr: Bad villains, season 2 was the best and seasons 3-5 were weak. That said, the characters were better than ever, and I think the cast was what made this show really special and standout. I’m sad that the show ended, I’m going to miss Morgan, Chuck, Sarah, Casey, Awesome, Ellie, Jeffster, Big Mike, the Subway product placement, etc. The final was good, but bittersweet.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012

Game of Thrones: Season 2, episode 1.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited

Nick Stokes is always getting all the bad luck. I’m watching repeats of this thing after ages (I actually can’t stand the more recent stuff anymore, but for the sake of nostalgia, I’m following only the first season) and only now realized how bad his character’s always being treated. He’s been kidnapped, buried alive, held at gunpoint, had some freak living in his ceiling…

Why? :(

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Who now? What show is this?

• CommentAuthorSen

What show is this?

CSI.

The one with Warrick… <3

If you tell me you don’t know who Warrick is, I might have to stab you.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

All right. I didn’t really want to live that long anyway.

• CommentAuthorSen

...Don’t die. :(

You can stick around for a while. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Aw, come on, I was updating my will! I had just decided to leave everything to my cats.

• CommentAuthorSen

...Oh dear. So much blood. What do I do now? Hey, why are you still talking?

Oh well, stitches aren’t gonna fix that, anyway.

stabs again

Inky? You there?

...No? Okay then baaaaaaaaaaiiiiii. Enjoy the afterlife! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

clings to life

dies

*Resurrects Inkblot*
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

But Clib, Phoenix Downs don’t work in cutscenes!

bq. But Clib, Phoenix Downs don’t work in cutscenes!

But I can't make a sequel with my lead guy dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

True! Continuity be damned!

bq. True! Continuity be damned!

I'll just say that you 'un-died.'
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

Wait, so does that make Inkblot one of the undead?

Clib, did you just my pro-bono editor into a zombie?

• CommentAuthorSen

He did you a favour. Didn’t you have zombies in your last Impish story? Now you can get an insider’s perspective. :D

I’m sure he’d now find your unfair, stereotypical portrayal of his kind quite offensive.

You’re going to be stabbing a lot of people with a prompt like not knowing a CSI character’s name. Hell, I didn’t even know the characters on CSI had names.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited

I’d have loved to see a Wire scene like that just because the language used would probably be hilarious. “Let’s zoom that motherfucker in. Yeah, jam it up in there. There. I see you, bitch. I fucking see you.”

Of course, there’s that one goofy scene with Prez making fun of ZOOMs and ENHANCEs. “Who is this man? Where does he come from? Can anybody stop him? Please don’t hurt us, please! My eyes! It’s so big and clear and bright!”

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

You’re going to be stabbing a lot of people with a prompt like not knowing a CSI character’s name.

Brains (“this”).

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’d have loved to see a Wire scene like that just because the language used would probably be hilarious. “Let’s zoom that motherfucker in. Yeah, jam it up in there. There. I see you, bitch. I fucking see you.”

I’m pretty sure there was a scene like that. I forget the exact episode and scene, but I’m pretty sure it involved McNulty’s brother and his agency with all their fancy tech equipment. It wasn’t nearly as bad as CSI, but I’m 99.9% sure they “zoomed and enhanced.”

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

of his kind

I find your in-your-face life-ism to be quite offensive.

Yeah, there’s that scene with the FBI in S2, but if it’s the scene you mean, it’s less the police giving the video operator commands and more Bunk talking about how aroused he is by it.

Watched the new Game of Thrones episode. I see what Puppet means about having no central character, but even in S1 I had the feeling that I was watching different PoVs stitched together for an hour. I don’t see any way of really solving this problem because that’s the essential format of the book as well, but I did think that the use of the comet was a decent way to knit it all together.

However, I think Stannis should have been introduced at the end of the episode, with a lot more build-up. His appearance seemed really sudden as it was.

...foams in mouth

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited

Reposting this from the MLP: FIM thread. If you add “,long” and “,hd” to the end of your YouTube video searches you can find a lot of movies and TV shows. Here’s the latest Mythbusters episode, for example. All 40 minutes and in 720p, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012

Thanks for the tip.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited

Mythbusers

D:

Oh wow. They hate it that much? What do they do, hit it? Insult it? What form of abuse are we dealing with here?

EDIT: You’re such a liar. I saw what you did. :D

Thanks Puppet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

EDIT: You’re such a liar. I saw what you did. :D

You know nothing. :wink

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Lol, Mythbusers. Things like that need to be preserved.

Keith David narrated tonight’s Community, and it was grand.

“Wait, weren’t you on The Cape?”

“...No.”

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Community was pretty great, and showed me why the show is awesome—even if it continues to be less laugh-out-loud funny and more hey-that’s-funny funny.

But, let’s talk about Awake. Which is insanely awesome. Tonight’s episode was just so AMAZING, from OH NO BRITTEN IS DEAD to PENGUIN to THE THERAPIST WAS NOT THERE.

Seriously, though, my jaw was literally (and I mean LITERALLY) agape when that penguin showed up.

“Wait, no, my friends need to suck on those frogs!”

Oh, Aang :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

“Oh, Aang” is right.

I can’t remember, does that scene come before or after Sokka and Momo get high on peyote?