Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012

Saw an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

OK, now I’m going to show my age. But what in the world is with everything My Little Pony? I can’t go anywhere on the internet without being bombarded by this weirdness. I mean, I don’t get it. What am I missing that everybody thinks is so awesome and I’m thinking, “Good gog! This sucks worse than the original series from my childhood!”

Because mostly, it’s a throwback to 90s Cartoon Network shows.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I watched some Iris because 1) it’s apparently great, and 2) it’s Korean. Well, so far both those things are true, but I was kind of surprised when it turned out the contract killer guy is TOP of Big Bang fame. Now there’s just no way to separate the skinny Korean pop artist rapping about Galliano and hangovers and the psychopath with a gun in my mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012 edited

MLP: FiM is marginally better than most kids shows, so people fawn over it like it’s a masterpiece.

From my time as a brony, I remember a few things: one, everyone constantly talked about how the show was so based around character moments and how the characters were so well developed… and yet, they continued to operate under a single character trait, and the “character moments” seemed to boil down to “watch three different characters try the same thing with their own specific way derived from there single character trait!”

Two, people talked about how hilarious it was. I will freely admit that the episode where Rarity gets kidnapped had me laughing out loud, but for the most part the show seemed to have pretty ehh humor. Like in the first season’s finale, everyone was going crazy over Fluttershy’s craziness, when it really just was a single line that wasn’t even that great. The entire time, I felt like I was waiting for some mystical amazingness that just never appeared.

Third, people talked about the great animation and how cute the show was. Which is totally true.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Wulf – While I’ll admit to only having seen relatively little of the original series (any of the multiple ones), I can certainly say that the current series at least looks better. And while it is mostly a guilty pleasure for me, it’s something that has given me more joy than pretty much anything else I’ve ever seen. (not just mild entertainment, but I think I can honestly say “joy”) The characters are funny (I disagree with Soupnazi pretty strongly on this one—the show isn’t focused on being a comedy show, but I think there’s still a lot of humor in it), the stories are fairly interesting (at least moreso than many animated shows are, even ones I like), and the messages are wholesome and generally pretty good. So as for why a person could find the show enjoyable… that’s what I think it boils down to, more or less.

As for why I genuinely love the show, as opposed to simply thinking it’s enjoyable to watch… that’s harder to pin down. Part of it is because I appreciate that it’s not, well, as nonsensical as a lot of kids’ shows. Part of it is because it’s just plain interesting: there’s a wide variety of characters, all of whom are at least interesting. Soupnazi is correct in that they tend to stick to their predefined role/traits, but these roles and traits are wide-ranging; no two of the main characters are really alike. And their characterizations aren’t really things like “the dumb best friend”, it’s things like “serious hard-working farmer who likes competition” and “silly partying pastry chef who struggles with responsibility”. I also genuinely like the stories; most are fairly original and interesting. When’s the last time a thoroughly girly show had an episode about fighting a dragon (and ultimately defeating it, not through loving it or something, but by berating it), after all? The writing and voice acting are also a step above many shows.

And I’ll admit that part of it is because it occasionally references things I like, such as Star Trek or Star Wars. Or I Love Lucy. Or Yakkety Sax.

But I know it’s not for everyone, and the unabashed girliness/relatively low stakes or lack of particularly complex or layered plots is probably going to turn most people off it. That’s fine. Or they won’t like the characters or plots, which is also fine, because there’s plenty of other shows/books/movies I just don’t like the premise of either. Or someone might not like animated shows in general, and that’s understandable too. Some of the more fanatical elements of the MLP:FiM fandom would be like “IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT YOU MUST BE STUPID”, but that’s as silly as saying sansa’s right in burning people at the stake for not liking The Wire.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Oh, I think there’s a lot of humor in it—I just think that people wildly exaggerate it into laugh-out-loud humor, when it tends to be more “oh, that’s cute and funny”. I think it’s definitely a good show, but I think the fanatical “OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND” fans kind of ruined it for me—I just expect it to be something more.

I realize I was kind of bashing MLP: FiM in my previous post, and I apologize for that—it wasn’t really my intent.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND” fans kind of ruined it for me

I think that’s a lot of my problem. I have trouble understanding how people who are twenty years old can get so worked up over a kid’s show.

When’s the last time a thoroughly girly show had an episode about fighting a dragon (and ultimately defeating it, not through loving it or something, but by berating it), after all?

That is probably the best reason I have ever heard for watching the show. If I have to watch one more show/read one more story where the monster is defeated through love and huggles, I will kick a kitten.

And I’ll admit that part of it is because it occasionally references things I like, such as Star Trek or Star Wars. Or I Love Lucy. Or Yakkety Sax.

OK, so am I right in guessing it’s kind of like Power Puff Girls? A smart cartoon that is intended for an audience besides just children? If that’s the case, then I can understand the interest in it. I just saw a little bit of an episode and thought it was an updated version of the original My Little Ponies, rolled my eyes and then clicked off of YouTube.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

as silly as saying sansa’s right in burning people at the stake for not liking The Wire.

I’ve never burned anybody at the stake for not liking The Wire, because I’ve never met anybody who’s watched a reasonable amount and disliked it.

I totally would, though, if such a person existed.

Regarding MLP’s fandom, I think a large part of the internet embraced it because it’s something they can enjoy without any kind of cynicism or irony, and to that segment of the internet, enjoying something in that way is pretty rare. A pretty good chunk after that is probably people whose primary motivation to watch it is to fit in with the previous group.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

something they can enjoy without any kind of cynicism or irony

This is so refreshing it almost chokes me up. Don’t you just love things you can enjoy without having to pretend to be an adult or a jaded consumer or 1337? It’s like a breath of pure air.

I only ever enjoy things that way.

Regarding MLP’s fandom, I think a large part of the internet embraced it because it’s something they can enjoy without any kind of cynicism or irony, and to that segment of the internet, enjoying something in that way is pretty rare.

+1

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I only ever enjoy things that way.

Sansa, you just went up another notch in my esteem, my friend. Very, very well said.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OK, so am I right in guessing it’s kind of like Power Puff Girls? A smart cartoon that is intended for an audience besides just children?

Precisely! Lauren Faust has spoken/written a great deal about this, actually, saying that while the cartoon is obviously pitched toward children, she tried to make it something that anyone could enjoy. I can’t remember her exact words, but she once said something to the effect of not wanting to make the kind of show parents turn on for their kids and run out the door because it’s so mind-numbingly boring—she wanted to make a show that parents might actually want to sit down and watch with their children.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited

she wanted to make a show that parents might actually want to sit down and watch with their children

Hmm. Well, in that case, should I ever perform a great cruelness to the world and spawn little Wulfies, I will have a show to watch with them. Until then, if I got into it now, I’d just be one of those people hopping aboard the coattails of a meme.

The first show I will intentionally watch with my future children will be Avatar, and if they don’t like it, I will put them up for adoption.

TV-related: While pining for Community’s return I’ve watched all the DVD commentaries, and have thus developed a new nerdcrush for Gillian Jacobs. It’s nothing compared to my intense love for Alison Brie, but it’s still going to be weird with both of them on the same show. I assume that when it comes back(AND IT WILL GODDAMMIT DON’T BE DICKS NBC) I will forget all about Gillian every time Alison is onscreen, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012

The first show I will intentionally watch with my future children will be Avatar, and if they don’t like it, I will put them up for adoption.

Speaking of which, I can’t wait for Korra. :C I’ve been rewatching some bits of Book 3. Such a great show.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Whoa, swenson, you gave me major deja vu for Word Girl.

Remember, guys, PBS is where it’s at for kids shows. Major charm out of the roof.

Also, what’s everyone’s opinions on Parks and Recreation? Community gets all the hipster cred, and so Parks and Rec gets left in its shadow, even though it’s also doing poor ratings-wise.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

That show was actually pretty cute and funny, and there were some good storytelling bits in there –

Respect, Soup.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Word Girl is great. And yes, her transformation scenes are always clever and hilarious.

The only line I can remember now is when, after Mr. Big brainwashes all of the parents into thinking every day is their kids’ birthday (don’t question it!), Word Girl fixes all of that and says that it’s not anyone’s birthday today, and then it’s actually a girl’s birthday and she says “for reals”. Yes, somebody says “for reals” in a kids show.

And yes, I am terrible at setting up jokes and telling stories.

Also, what’s everyone’s opinions on Parks and Recreation?

Parks and Rec is extremely good, and there’s a lot of crossover between Community and P&R fans, at least among the ones I encounter. If they like both, though, Community usually gets the nod just because it’s a lot more ambitious. P&R is Quality Television, but it rarely knocks you out of your seat the way some other shows on nowadays do.

I’m a little surprised it’s not a bigger hit than it’s been, though. It had a weak first season, but it’s always had a better timeslot than Community and it seems like it should be a lot more accessible. Subtlety doesn’t sell, perhaps.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

It’s especially odd since, from what I can gather, Parks and Rec is similar enough to The Office that I’d think it’d get some crossover from that. I guess people just wrote it off as an Office knockoff and didn’t bother.

It started off really similar to The Office, since it wanted to keep the lead-in audience, and that’s when it wasn’t very good. It didn’t really hit its stride until NBC moved it around in the schedule and it started being its own show.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

. . . I really don’t remember the first season. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91

Yeah Parks and Rec is one of the best sitcoms around these days. It’s like the new and improved The Office and The Office sucks now. P&R isn’t always terribly funny but most of the time it is. Community even with me thinking it lost some of its touch after season 1 is still probably better. Then the last of the triumvirate of ultimate sitcoms these days is 30 Rock. Big Bang can suckit. I mostly only like single camera no laugh track quirky clever sitcoms. The best of all time being Arrested Development and my own personal favorite being Scrubs.

Big Bang can suckit

Words to live by, amigo.

Amen.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Even when P&R isn’t funny, it exudes charm and happiness—that’s why it’s my favorite sitcom, even thought Happy Endings makes me laugh more.

Scrubs.

But only the early seasons. Totally concurring about Arrested Development.

Seasons 1 – 4 awesome but 4 might be starting to get too silly, 5 still good but getting sillier, 6 iffy with some pretty good stuff like the musical, 7 way too silly not enough funny what the hell happened thank god for the writers strike cutting it short and giving it season 8, 8 had a weird darker tone to the humor and wasnt too funny but brought it a bit back to its roots and i enjoyed it especially the finale. There is no 9th season. It does not exist okay?

the musical

It’s GUY LOVE!

YES!

I need you to high-five me as hard as you can.

MOAR WATANABE

Yeah, Amy’s only slightly better than Rose to me. My favorite is Donna (perhaps because she was never in love with the Doctor, but probably because she was the most average person, and I liked that). I liked Martha too, and she was the least bitchy (not really bitchy at all, actually).

Late, but I love Donna. She was the best.

I like Amy ok. She’s hot. And at least she isn’t Rose.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012

Watching reruns of Codename: Kids Next Door.. Ah, the nostalgia.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

Iris. I am on episode 14, and it is awesome. And after watching a horrific amount of Korean TV that makes the female characters weak and helpless, Choi Sung Hee is a welcome departure. I love her to bits. :D

The first episode of Luck was pretty damn good, and it’s probably only going to improve. The only real flaw I noticed is that it’s got lots of characters but doesn’t really put names to most of them yet. They’re not hard to tell apart or anything, but it’d still be easier if I knew what their names were.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012

Saw a picture, somewhere around, of Gus Fring (well, Esposito, the actor) as a camp counselor and with Big Bird.

May not be news to anybody else, him once being on Sesame Street, but that right there shattered my world.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012 edited

Watched the premiere of Smash last night. It was… good. Had a very unique feel to it; even if I don’t keep watching, I hope it does well.

I don’t have a problem with Smash, but I’m getting sick of how hard NBC is pushing it. Since when do they advertise their own shows?

Why didn’t anybody tell me how cool Archer was?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012

I don’t have a problem with Smash, but I’m getting sick of how hard NBC is pushing it. Since when do they advertise their own shows?

I’m honestly pretty out of the loop with advertising (at least that’s how it seems), as I only seem to see the normal amount of ads for the show.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012 edited

Why didn’t anybody tell me how cool Archer was?

I’m… I’m sorry. I failed you, my friend.

On the upside, you know how cool it is now.

I’m honestly pretty out of the loop with advertising (at least that’s how it seems), as I only seem to see the normal amount of ads for the show.

It’s been pushed ridiculously hard on Sunday Night Football for the past couple months, as well as during the Thursday comedy block. I’m just annoyed, since they rarely advertised Community and even though it held relatively steady against Idol and BBT they benched it anyway.

/bitter

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012 edited

My friend, who doesn’t even watch Breaking Bad, just happens to have the first season, and possibly the second one as well, which someone else gave her, but she never really got into it. And she’s going to lend them to me and now I can catch up. Without paying. :)

She was also telling me about Community. And Death Note. Guess I’ll give those a look as well.

Guess I’ll give that a look.

DO IT GODDAMMIT

Yes, they are all good. Quite good. Yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012

It’s been pushed ridiculously hard on Sunday Night Football for the past couple months, as well as during the Thursday comedy block. I’m just annoyed, since they rarely advertised Community and even though it held relatively steady against Idol and BBT they benched it anyway.

Ah, see, I don’t watch football and I only watch Parks and Rec and 30 Rock. So that would explain it.

And now 30 Rock is doing just a poorly as Community and ALL OF THE GOOD SHOWS ARE GOING TO BE CANCELLED. (Except for ABC’s Wednesdays, thank goodness.)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I noticed that Supernatural is on Netflix Instant now. I have heard good things about it. Someone convince me it’s worth my time.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Um. I’ve heard that many people find the main two characters attractive?

(I’ve never watched the show myself.)

I just watched my first ever _Mystery Science Theater 3000_ Episodes.

LOLOLOLOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

^^ Good stuff, isn’t it?

bq. ^^ Good stuff, isn’t it?

"Hi, I'm Satan and this is what happens when you do the hanky-panky before you get married."
    • CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

Watched my first episode of Community.

Eh.

Watched my first episode of Community.

Your first episode being the pilot, I’m guessing/hoping?(it needs to be watched in order)

If so, yeah, it’s not anything special. Stick with it until at least the first Halloween episode. That’s where I really fell in love with it. You should hopefully start getting signs that it’s going to turn into something beautiful/insane by the climax of Episode 2, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

Yeah, the pilot episode was kind of meh. The first episode of Community I ever saw was Modern Warfare. Just stick through it, Sen. It’s well worth the wait.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012

Lol, okay. Honestly, though I’m not very tempted to.

The first episode of Community I ever saw was Modern Warfare

I’m never sure if I should tell people to watch this episode if they’re on the fence or not. I mean, if they see it, they’re bound to be amazed and give the show a try.

On the other hand, the experience of watching the episode is something else if you don’t know it’s coming. Watching that episode live when it first aired is probably the single most amazing experience I’ve had watching a TV show, one that beats out any number of the great moments given to me by The Wire, Breaking Bad, Futurama, The Shield, and so forth.

It’s not even my favorite episode, and at this point I’m not even sure it squeezes into my top 5, but it utterly blew me away the first time I saw it. If it’s the only way to get someone to watch it, I’m okay with recommending it first, but otherwise I’d like to preserve as much of that feeling I got as I can for anybody giving the show a chance.

Lol, okay. Honestly, though I’m not very tempted to.

You have to trust us.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012

In sansafro187 we trust.

Gus Fring is going to be guest-starring in a Community episode when it comes back. NBC needs to cut this shit out already and make some space.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012

Gus Fring

Community episode

WHEN

I can only watch up till the end of the 2nd season right now …. ;_;

Don’t tell me there’s like 8 or 9 to this thing.

Don’t tell me there’s like 8 or 9 to this thing.

Only in my dream world where we get to have nice things.

It’ll presumably be somewhere in the back half of Season 3 once NBC decides its other shows are mostly awful and takes Community off hiatus. I’ll let you know when I hear more.

Finally watching this Kino’s Journey. Very insightful, so far.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012

Something called Terra Nova started showing recently. I was so wrong to have high expectations for that one.

Bwahaha.

Terra Nova kind of sucks.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012

Terra Nova kind of sucks.

C’mon, you make it too easy.

Is that the one with the ex-porn star and the dinosaurs?

Dinosaurs, yes. I have no idea if it has an ex-porn star.

And I agree about it kind of sucking.

BBC’s Sherlock. :3

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

^With Benedict Cumberbatch?

Yes. :D

I just like saying his name. It’s so awesome.

I don’t really know anything about that guy besides thinking his face looks creepy, but he did inspire my favorite Sean O’Neal line this year with “Benedict Cumberbatch who, in addition to being a shy hedgehog who stumbled into a grand adventure outside his garden one day, also stars in the BBC’s Sherlock.”

his face looks creepy

He really does have a great sociopath face. Which is why he’s so perfect for Sherlock. But he also has a voice that is weirdly similar to Alan Rickman’s, and he’s going to voice Smaug in The Hobbit.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

@SWQ: Yes, his name is indeed awesome. :D

I love Sherlock. Both the lead and the show. :grin

SHERLOCK! Definitely one of my favourite shows. :D

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012 edited

Okay, the last episode (Hound of Baskervilles) had me clutching my mum, scared out of my wits. Damn, that was awesome. Also, I want Sherlock’s coat. It’s long, flappy, and it can do the cool collar-flippy thing. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

Hound of Basketville.

Disappoint.

Basketville is where Charles Barkley lives, right? Did Sherlock go there to practice how to slam and jam at the same time?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

And now all I can think of is Barkley, Shut Up and Jam! Gaiden, and how awesome that was.

Cause Sherlock needed to put the hoops on Moriarty.

And now all I can think of is Barkley, Shut Up and Jam! Gaiden, and how awesome that was.

“Barkley, that’s not a three pointer… that’s a FOUR pointer!”

I love both fictional Chuck Barkley and actual Chuck Barkley. I’d vote that man for president.

Spock doesn’t like your shipping,

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012

So there’s this channel that became available on satellite television a while ago over here, Comedy Central, and … it’s actually pretty dumb.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012 edited

Eh, I enjoy The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

What, no love for the Colbert Report?

I watched the Being Human premiere and

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012

Watching repeats of Law and Order: SVU. It’s still good.

...I’ve been watching clips of the Australian kid’s show Playschool. Because it’s hilarious to see Inspector Javert doing this.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012

DO WANT

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012

Somebody was talking to me about Bones. Might take a look at it. She makes it sound good…

Community returns in 30 minutes. Oh hell yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

So apparently Community actually got good-ish ratings yesterday.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

I thought the latest Community ep was a bit dumbed down, but it was still good.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012 edited

I wouldn’t call it dumbed down by any stretch, but it was a “normal” episode, certainly. I can’t call any episode with something as clever as the “Troy wants to go back to being weird because he hears the AC blowing rather than seeing a monkey pop out of a vent” bit as dumbed down.

So apparently Community actually got good-ish ratings yesterday.

Yeah, holy shit. I just looked it up and apparently it beat Idol in the 18-34 demo in the overnights. I hope some of those people stick around next week.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012

Community sucks. Yeah, I said it. DO SOMETHING.

Community sucks. Yeah, I said it. DO SOMETHING.

You are wrong.

Community sucks.

That is evil speech!

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

From what I’ve seen of Community, I think there are funnier shows. But to say it sucks is outright wrong; it is at least good.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I think there are funnier shows

Could you give some examples?

• CommentAuthorSen

Watch it in order.