Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012

It’s so delightfully sappy.

Pretty much. I mean, just look at Ned and Chuck; their entire relationship is often just “da’www look at how much they love each other!” and yet it’s still so charming and heartwarming and it just makes me smile.

Pretty much. I mean, just look at Ned and Chuck; their entire relationship is often just “da’www look at how much they love each other!” and yet it’s still so charming and heartwarming and it just makes me smile

I know. It’s like: “I should be gagging but OMG THEY ARE SO CUTE AWWWWWWW”

Seriously I just want to cuddle them. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012

No, I want to see them able to cuddle each other!

Wait that sounds creepy.

No, I want to see them able to cuddle each other!
    Wait that sounds creepy.

It maybe be creepy but it would be SO ADORABLE.

Emerson gets all the best lines, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So I finished season 5 of The Wire.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

It maybe be creepy but it would be SO ADORABLE.

Emerson gets all the best lines, though.

The adorable levels would be so much off the charts CANNOT COMPUTE.

Yes, he does. I hate that I can never remember any of the great lines the show has… oh well, they lose a lot without the atmosphere anyway.

The adorable levels would be so much off the charts CANNOT COMPUTE.

For a couple that can’t touch even each other, they managed to be too cute to be allowed.

Yes, he does. I hate that I can never remember any of the great lines the show has… oh well, they lose a lot without the atmosphere anyway.

Olive is pretty great too, though.
    and hot

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

For a couple that can’t touch even each other, they managed to be too cute to be allowed.

I blame the actors. Such great chemistry, just in general on that show.

Olive is pretty great too, though.
    and hot

She is hilarious. Her with Emerson Cod… pure gold.
    Hard not to be, with how revealing her outfits are

I blame the actors. Such great chemistry, just in general on that show.

Also both Lee Pace and Anna Friel are adorable people anyway. squee

She is hilarious. Her with Emerson Cod… pure gold.

Yes.

I love Lily and Vivian, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Also both Lee Pace and Anna Friel are adorable people anyway. squee

Eh, maybe not so much on Pace.

I love Lily and Vivian, too.

Lily is so adorable! But I always get their names mixed up—I actually might not have them straight right now. Redhead’s… Vivian? I always feel like they should have the opposite names and it bothers me.

Eh, maybe not so much on Pace.

But but when he smiles it’s the most adorable thing ever. Just…just….awwww.

Lily is so adorable! But I always get their names mixed up—I actually might not have them straight right now. Redhead’s… Vivian? I always feel like they should have the opposite names and it bothers me

Lily is the redhead. I keep getting them mixed up, too. I have to google to remember which is which.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

But but when he smiles it’s the most adorable thing ever. Just…just….awwww.

Okay, yeah. But the rest of the time he can’t decide whether or not to be handsome or gangly and it’s weird.

Lily is the redhead. I keep getting them mixed up, too. I have to google to remember which is which.

I’m glad I’m not alone. XD

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012 edited

But the rest of the time he can’t decide whether or not to be handsome or gangly and it’s weird.

Gangly can be handsome. Sometimes. Just saying.

Okay, yeah. But the rest of the time he can’t decide whether or not to be handsome or gangly and it’s weird.

Well, I think he’s adorable any case. he’s all awkward and has an adorable sad puppy dog face when he’s sad. It’s SO CUTE.

squee

I’m glad I’m not alone. XD

You’d think it’d be easy to remember, they’re pretty distinct personalities.

Watching Dexter.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012

The fact that they’re serial killers shows that they already have severe mental problems, so imaginary friends just seem like the next logical step.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Gangly can be handsome. Sometimes. Just saying.

Okay, sure. But you know what I mean?

• CommentAuthorSen

Yeah, okay okay :)

So I finished season 5 of The Wire.

You’re a man now.

The biggest problem with Season 5 is that it’s the only season where some of the didactic elements of the show start to interfere with the storytelling. The previous four seasons are also heavily didactic, but character and story are always the foremost priority. You can see some of the seams in S5, and there’s more things happening just to illustrate the point being made instead of the point being made through natural consequence.

Watched some I Love Lucy today. It’s hilarious.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

I should really watch some more documentaries. I see some very interesting titles, but then switch to total rubbish when I don’t feel like concentrating.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

So I’ve finally started watching Downton Abbey and it’s incredible. It also makes me squee, which seems somewhat of an odd response to such a careful period drama.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012

It does have some lovely moments, though. When you’ve finished Season Two, you have to watch the special Christmas episode, which isn’t on the season two dvd. It has some major events in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012

What are some good animes you guys would recommend? (Aside from the obvious such as Code Geass, Gundam, Death Note…)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

COWBOY BEBOP

Both of the first Ghost in the Shell movies, GiTS and GiTS: Innocence.

Full Metal Panic was idiotic but entertaining.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Puppet: I enjoyed Clannad, myself.

Also, Persona 4 the Animation is currently simulcasting on Hulu. It’s really good.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Fullmetal Alchemist. Either the original, or Brotherhood. Preferably the early episodes of the original and the entirety of Brotherhood, if only to fill in some of the gaps from Brotherhood.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann(obviously).

Starting up Rescue Me. Been meaning to watch more of Denis Leary’s work.

I love Hetalia, personally.

Here’s a chart. Personally think half the anime on it suck, but taste’s subjective.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

Saw all of Princess Tutu, and season 1 of Kaleido Star. But…

WHERE IS YUYU HAKUSHO? I AM DISAPPOINT.

Also, Digimon. But only seasons 1 and 2 (the Adventure series).

Rescue Me

My brother really liked it and told me I should watch it, but his scale usually starts at a 7 so I take any recommendation from him with a grain of salt. FX dramas are usually pretty good though.

Here’s a chart.

Goddamn, that makes me want to watch Beck again. It’s one of the few I actually own on DVD, and it’s been a few years since I’ve dug it out.

• CommentAuthorSen

Gus Fring just keeps becoming more and more of a fantastic character for me. Unfortunately, I have to wait for one episode per week as I can’t download anything. Can’t wait for tonight! I didn’t think it was possible, but things are getting even more interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

So, Suburgatory had a really smart “one person has a secret and the other thinks they know the secret but they’re wrong and all their conversations are ambiguous”. That show uses comedy tropes surprisingly well. Modern Family was funny, as always, in that unsurprising way it’s taken on lately. Happy Endings referenced the Wire for an entire subplot, so that counts for something? And Revenge had an awesome twist.

And yeah, I like ABC on Wednesdays.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012 edited

Gus Fring just keeps becoming more and more of a fantastic character for me. Unfortunately, I have to wait for one episode per week as I can’t download anything. Can’t wait for tonight! I didn’t think it was possible, but things are getting even more interesting.

Gus is the fucking Terminator pretty much. What episode are you stuck on?

Happy Endings referenced the Wire for an entire subplot, so that counts for something?

WHAT PLEASE EXPLAIN

So, everybody on Rescue Me is a prick. But likable pricks.

Also…

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

WHAT PLEASE EXPLAIN

Alex thought the Chinese food place opposite her store was a brothel so she got Brad and Max to help and they referenced the Wire extensively, mostly by yelling at people.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012 edited

What episode are you stuck on?

Oh man, you’re right on the cusp. I don’t care if you don’t care about spoilers. I’m not spoiling that for you. You’re just gonna have to tough it out, but it will be worth it.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012

NOOOOOOO!!! Dude, our power might go off today! No joke! And they only repeat the show once, which I might miss.
    Ugh, okay I’ll wait. But the torture … the torture …

Just make sure you’ve braced yourself.

It’s so, so good, Sen. Just wait.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012

Breaking Bad spoilers ahead. Sort of, since I’m so behind with this. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012

So, Arcade Fire on Austin City Limits was insanely amazingly fantastically great. But I get the impression nobody here is really into that kind of stuff….

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

Sherlock.

Holy crap. I friggin’ love this show.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited

Spanman, how far are you? I loved the first season, but was rather disappointed by 2.1, and haven’t had a chance to see the Baskerville’s episode, which looked pretty cool again :D

Willow, what did you think of Princess Tutu? Because my friend introduced me to it, but I haven’t talked to any other people who’ve seen it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I finished the second season today. The end is twisty. D:

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I thought Princess Tutu was pretty good. I saw season one of Kaleido Star too.

ALSO. Just finished YuYu Hakusho with my boyfriend. All four seasons. HOLY CRAP SO AWESOME.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

@Willow: well, it’s just that when I watched Princess Tutu, we pretty much marathoned it in, like, a day. So somewhere 3/4 into the show I came up with the idea that it was less about fate and freewill and fairy tales, and really all about the struggles of the creative progress—whether or not to force your characters into your plot or just go with it, etc. I had all sorts of arguments, but it’s been awhile and I never wrote them down. :(

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012

I really like shows with a good story. It’s just a shame when the characters get annoying. It’s very easy to dislike everyone at some point in Switched at Birth, but I have to admit that the story is pretty good and there’s always some interesting development.

And I give up on American Horror Story. It’s on way too late and I like stuff to actually scare me, not just be creepy and startle me by suddenly appearing in flashes of light. I also like stories to make sense the first time round.

My friends had me watch an episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. It was pretty good- the characters were surprisingly interesting for a show targeted to kids. I especially liked Toph.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Watch the entire show. Seriously. The first season is a bit “childish,” but season 2 and 3 won’t disappoint. The characters and story are, like you said, surprisingly good for a kids show.

I started in the middle, so it was a bit disorienting, but I’m sure my Avatar-crazy friends would be glad to have a marathon at some point. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Anyone ever see Talespin? It was an old Disney cartoon, vaguely Exploration Age, featuring a seaplane pilot played by Baloo from Jungle Book. No, I’m not kidding. I dunno. I really liked it as a kid.

Definitely begin at the beginning, SWQ.

Anyone ever see Talespin?

Who hasn’t seen Talespin?

If you never saw Talespin, you were either not born in the late 80s-early 90s or had no childhood.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I had no childhood.

No, seriously. My parents didn’t believe in television. Not that that’s a bad thing, I just think I missed out on a lot of the greats.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited

Ooooh that’s what it was called. I recall, as a child, watching part of that at my Oma’s and getting freaked out.
    I’m going to watch it right now!

I also didn’t have tv until I was in grade 7. Actually I think I was rather proud of the fact as everyone kept asking how could I possibly live. 85 acres of forest/ bush to play in is how I lived. Course now I just sit inside with my computer so…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@SWQ – which episode, do you know? Season 2 or 3, because it had Toph in it, but I like pestering people for specifics. :)

Anyway, I concur with Puppet. Watch from the first season all the way through. The first season—especially the beginning of it—takes a bit to find its feet, but season 2 is nearly perfect, and season 3 has a lot of awesome too.

I also never saw Talespin, for the same reason as Spanman. This is why I have to make up for it by watching ten times as much of classic stuff now that I’m older. On the plus side, it means I’m watching a lot of stuff for the first time only once I’m old enough to really appreciate it!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

85 acres of forest/ bush to play in is how I lived.

450 acres. :D Those were the good times.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Sansa: Apparently, swenson and Spanman.

Since I’m homeschooled, I don’t have a lot of rules of thumb for those kinds of questions. For all I know, Cool People might never have heard of it. :P

450 acres? I am so envious.

bq. Since I’m homeschooled.

Cool! Another homeschooler :D

My Mom never believed in TV or video games either, we had the woods and then we moved and we had more woods and gigantic rock formations to play around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

Oh wow I remember Tailspin!

I had tv, but only the Disney channel. I even remember watching it when they didn’t have commercials in the middle of a movie. But even that wasn’t all that often. My best friend had a couple acres and we still trespassed to go to her neighbor’s ‘pond’. Otherwise I was reading. Amazing how much more I did back than really.

Oh and Clib’s rock formations reminded me of another friend whose dad had also a number of acres and we used to wander down this culvert of limestone, I think, and catch lizards. A college friend said we were lucky not to be washed away in a flash-flood, but though she also had many acres to play on, she grew up on the bottom of a mountain instead of the top. And and desert.

Good memories :)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

Cool! Another homeschooler :D

There are actually quite a few here. They always seems to come out of the woodwork when someone is discussing classic kid’s TV.

450 acres? I am so envious.

I know, right? Regrettably, we moved away from there when I was seven, but we had some good times.

bq. Good memories :)

Indeed : )
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

450 acres. :D Those were the good times.

You live on a farm/ in the Prairies? Or was that all forest, cause that would be huge.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

I lived in Missouri; it was mostly forest but there were some crops, tree nurseries, and several ponds and things. It was huge. There were a lot of places I didn’t get to explore because I was too young/it was too dangerous. We had a lot of snakes and snapping turtles and such.

We had a lot of snakes and snapping turtles and such

And meth labs, don’t forget those.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Dammit sansafro, you just ruined my sales pitch.

bq. We had a lot of snakes and snapping turtles and such.

My moron dog would walk right over snakes.

bq. And meth labs, don’t forget those.

Where I lived it wasn't exactly uncommon to see a Law Enforcement chopper out looking for those.

Shoooooot, Americans make their meth in real live labs?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I’m sure there’s an Australian plant that produces it naturally.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Americans make their meth in real live labs?

Well, “lab” is an extremely generous description, but yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Replace “lab” with “shack”, or “shed”, or “attic”, and mental images of lab coats and stainless steel with sheet metal, open batteries, empty turpentine cans, and frequent, lethal explosions.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius

bq. Why on earth would anyone start using meth anyway? I’ve never understood that. The stuff is made with more lethal chemicals than most biowarfare projects. Crack at least _starts out_ as a plant.

This. And I've seen people who are on meth, it's not a pretty sight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well, that’s a bit of a rhetorical question.

bq. Well, that’s a bit of a rhetorical question.

Yeah, well, I like to answer rhetorical questions just for the hell of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Wasn’t that an xkcd?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Ah man, that made my night.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ah man, that made my night.

Hm, I’ve never heard of that TV show.

bq. Wasn’t that an xkcd?

As in the webcomic?
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Puppet: Huh?

Clib: Yep, that’s the one. I feel like that was one of those My Hobby strips.

bq. Yep, that’s the one. I feel like that was one of those My Hobby strips.

Oh, yeah, yeah I get you. I do vaguely remember a strip that said something to that effect.

Yellow lab looks like it wants my soul.

All dogs want your soul. After all, they’ve gotta have something to play with, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

Re: meth labs: true story, I have cousins who live in the vicinity of a not-so-nice city. One day, we were driving through a not-so-nice part of that not-so-nice city and my cousin casually points at a house that doesn’t have a porch. “See that house?” she asks. “There was a meth lab in the basement. Blew the porch right off.” Literally blew the thing right off—you could see that something had been attached, but the debris had been cleared up, and if somebody’d painted over the marks and put in new steps, you never could have told there was a porch there originally.

The moral of this story is to not do drugs, or your porch will blow up.

That’s assuming that they break one of the cardinal rules of good drug dealing by getting high on your own supply.

If they weren’t, the moral becomes the evergreen classic, “Don’t shit where you eat.”

That might be the effect some of them are aiming for.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Right, now that this lovely conversation has been wrapped up, let’s get back on topic. ;)

I’ve been getting back into Doctor Who. I think Matt Smith plays the role of the Doctor pretty well, but there are definitely times where he tries too hard to be weird and random. Also, why are all of the Doctor’s companions complete self entitled female dogs? Honestly, the only companion I really liked was Martha. Donna wasn’t terrible either, but I can’t stand Rose and Amy.

Yeah, Amy’s only slightly better than Rose to me. My favorite is Donna (perhaps because she was never in love with the Doctor, but probably because she was the most average person, and I liked that). I liked Martha too, and she was the least bitchy (not really bitchy at all, actually).

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I only ever saw Martha on Torchwood, but I must agree that she was a good character. I never got far enough into DW to get a handle on Rose’s character.

Been delving into the audios a bit more. I quite enjoy Sara Kingdom’s character, and Charley’s a very good prototype for the modern companion. Even Peri and Mel are made likable.

Saw an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I thought it was cute, but I didn’t quite know who anybody (I mean, any_pony_) was.

Start from the begining. They arn’t that hard to keep straight. ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@SWQ – you don’t really have to start from the beginning because it’s a loose canon anyway (most episodes don’t definitively go in any specific order). I didn’t watch the first two episodes until after seeing several other episodes. My only advice personally would be maybe to watch more Season 1 episodes first, if only because some of the Season 2 episodes get more into the backstories or focus on specific characters, and you’d get more out of it if you understood the characters more.

Yeah, though the episodes aren’t technically in order, except for the first two, so watch those first.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012

Wrote up my thoughts on Once Upon a Time on my livejournal. Read it here.