Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

sons of anarchy is still a fun show but goddamn does it drag its feet more than any other show ive ever watched that actually goes anywhere

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011

Are you on season 3? Because I was so bored watching it that it took me several months to get through. Don’t worry, season 4 is like the opposite.

that was in response to the season 4 finale which i found incredibly frustrating

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011

oooh, okay. Erm, I haven’t actually watched it yet. I just know it’s going to be hard to watch, what with everything gone completely to shit for basically everyone already.

lol a full-on assault on Glee in a Christmas episode of Community was beautiful. Freaking loved how they were brainwashed one at a time. Though Annie’s bit was a little painful because I hate the little girl act thing. It’s been used in at least 3 other sitcoms.

i thought the annie part was genius because there really are creepy undertones to those babydoll ‘sexy’ christmas songs and it just deconstructed the hell out of that

of course i am shocked that alison brie actually managed to be unsexy at something

I’m being a weeaboo and watching Shinkenger.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited

Okay maybe I just haven't heard any babydoll sexy Christmas songs... Dan Harmon says that he doesn't actually hate Glee and is just jealous of its high ratings and such, but I bet he really does think its horrible because it is. On a random note a friend just can't accept that some things actually factually suck rather than it being up to opinion. But he does dislike Glee.

*sniff* Community is going on hiatus now isn't it? With a really bleak future. I know I've said half of seasons 2 and 3 aren't very good and after 1 it's had a different often not funny feel to it, but I will still be sad to see it go. I don't really want them to rewrite the stories they were planning to make the rest of the season the ending like Arrested Development did. I want them to carry on like normal and hope for season 4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited

Okay maybe I just haven’t heard any babydoll sexy Christmas songs

yeah a lot of them are pretty old like ‘santa baby’ and such just infantilizing the female singer in a creepy way and annie just played it to the hilt and it was hilarious and gross

well nbc claims itll be back sometime in the future but we will have to wait and see

just gotta trust that we will be able to return to greendale and if we dont at least we had a great time for the episodes that got to exist in the first place

as far as the glee mockery they film on the same lot so giving them shit is part of that but i think part of it is also bitterness about having a much better show that is harder for a mass audience to appreciate

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011 edited

I will not be listening to those songs.

Waiting is fun.

Yeah I know that Glee stuff but as great writers of stories and characters they should be able to tell when a show is well written and probably know Glee is mostly not so. But they're playfully parodying it out of jealously and friendly rivalry yes and not bashing it like dicks like I am now. Most or all the writers and/or actors probably have only watched a few episodes or none at all but I could be totally wrong.

oh i have no doubt theres some actual resentment in addition to some of the good natured funmaking

i mean glee is making money hand over fist and propelling its inferior actors to big movie deals and they wont even let donald glover be spiderman

Mm yeah. Donald Glover would have been an awesome Spiderman. I don't even know who this new guy is and some of the CGI looked bad.

Danny Pudi in the next episode of Chuck? Fuck yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011

THE WIRE

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I actually watched Community last night. It was good! Though I must agree that Annie was way too creepy. I mean, isn’t that kind of sexualizing infants? O_O

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The Office sucks now. Jim and Dwight have always been funny, but now everyone else has resorted to, “THIS SITUATION IS SO AWKWARD ISN’T IT FUNNY HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA???” They should have ended it when Michael left, it just isn’t the same without him.

I mean, isn’t that kind of sexualizing infants? O_O

right that was what it was making fun of

Lester is a badass.

smartest motherfucker in the room

every single room

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

right that was what it was making fun of

Yeah. Thank goodness.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The Community ep was good, but I didn’t think it wasn’t a “stand out” ep. I’m not sure what to think of the whole Annie bit. Not that I’m complaining, but it does seem like the show makers are trying to “sex her up” so her character will appeal to a wider audience. I’m not just talking about this episode, since technically speaking they were under mind control or something, but I have noticed that lately she hasn’t been zipping up her sweater as much. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011

Wait wait wait…how did they make fun of Glee?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The Wire. 8 episodes in so far, I can’t get enough of it.

nice

you get your first encounter with proposition joe stewart next episode

he is a ridiculous amount of fun

@ BlueMask, In season 2 they did a clip show episode where the clips being shown were entirely new. And one of them had the characters filling in for Greendale's glee club because the old one died in a bus accident. This episode Jeff ruined the current glee club and they were once again forced to be in it for a Christmas show. So the episode was kinda played out like an episode of Glee with similar background music and the songs only they were original and maybe even over the top character stereotypes, and the whole thing was just so ridiculous in a good way because the characters were getting brainwashed into liking glee club.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Eye sea…
    I can’t believe that I have to wait until, like, April, for GoT season two.

Mmm quite.
    Waiting for GoT does suck but I am considering reading the second book without reading the first.

It was a little disappointing that Danny Pudi's role in Chuck was so small but it was a nice little bit. Also cool seeing Yvette Nicole Brown. The Chuck guys must love Community. It was also hilarious seeing Freddie Wong in the episode playing a character named Freddie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011

Finished season 1 of The Wire. That shit is gooood.

now comes the season 2 slog which is a rite of passage among many wire watchers

it isnt a bad season by any means but the first time it can be harder to get through since it is such a shift from s1 relative to focus and setting

it is still really good but you may get sick of all the white people the first time watching it

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011

Yeah, 1 episode in so far and I don’t like any of the new characters. It wasn’t bad, but season 1 was just so good that it looks bad in comparison.

ziggy is really the only one who is actively irritating but on the whole they are less interesting than the barksdale crew as the target of the detail

it does get more interesting as the season goes though for what its worth since s2 has the slowest start of the seasons by a mile because of the plot particulars requiring more setup

one more season of the shield left

my body is ready

lol sansafro I think I heard one of those sexy Christmas songs Community was parodying. One came on the radio as I was driving and I was surprised that it was by Kylie Minogue. Christmas stocking is definitely a euphemism.

I just realized that Beavis & Butthead is the most sophisticated show on MTV nowadays.

lol sansafro I think I heard one of those sexy Christmas songs Community was parodying. One came on the radio as I was driving and I was surprised that it was by Kylie Minogue. Christmas stocking is definitely a euphemism.

yeah there are some surprisingly icky ones out there and i say that as someone who isnt typically bothered by sexuality

I just realized that Beavis & Butthead is the most sophisticated show on MTV nowadays.

low bar to clear but mike judge is a pretty cool guy

i started shield s7 tonight and if this finishes like it has the potential to finish this show will go on my recommendation list and a solid lock in the upper b-tier of my show rankings

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

3 episodes into season 2 of The Wire. Episode 2 and 3 were more enjoyable to watch than episode 1, I actually found the whole docks business pretty interesting and I can’t wait to see where it leads. But again, season 2 isn’t bad, it just pales in comparison to season 1, in my opinion.

yeah it just has the slowest start of any season and takes the longest time to build up to the meaty part of the casework

it snowballs pretty good though

and the best part is that season 3 on the other side which is a significant improvement over everything youve seen so far

I bought the first season of The Office (US version) today. I’m kind of excited to see what it’s like, though disappointed to see that it’s only six episodes long.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011 edited

On The Office, I thought season 2-4 were the best. As soon as you know who leaves the show it goes downhill, in my opinion.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but Stringer is still a badass.

Stringer is still a badass.

season 3 is really his season though so stay tuned

just finished the shield and cant decide if it should be b-tier or a-tier but the entire final season was just one legitimate holy shit moment over another

US version of The Office, season one. My thoughts.

- some of the early stuff was word for word from the UK version, which was a bit jarring, but I’ll excuse it because it started out close to the source script and gradually branched out from there. I’m glad they cut out the Homer Simpson/yellow monkey parallel. The whole stapler inside a jelly thing? Hilarious in the UK version, but too similar to the US version. They could’ve done without it. Also, it sounded wrong, saying Jell-O. I will say, however, that the US version did improve on it in one respect—having a call-back at the end. Which wouldn’t have fit the style of the UK Office, but it’s perfect American sitcom type humour without being too sitcom-my because it was just one little touch that rounded it off nicely. If they continue to develop and take advantage of this, they’ve got something.

- Jim is a perfect Tim counterpart, but I also feel like you could stick John Krasinski!Jim and Martin Freeman!Tim in a room together and they wouldn’t be the same person.

- I can’t choose between Steve Carell and Ricky Gervais. They are both great at playing that character.

- Mackenzie Crook makes a better buttmonkey than the guy who played Dwight. And I mean that in a nice way.

- I felt like in some scenes Pam was more of an object to be tussled over or coveted than a person, (though obviously Jim genuinely does like her and thinks she’s awesome), and Dawn seemed more real to me than Pam. I do like the way Jenna Fischer plays her. Understated and vulnerable with a wicked sense of humour.

- Best episode ever: the one with the alliance. Hands down. Probably funnier than any episode of the original UK series.

I want the next season IMMEDIATELY.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

- Jim is a perfect Tim counterpart, but I also feel like you could stick John Krasinski!Jim and Martin Freeman!Tim in a room together and they wouldn’t be the same person.

Isn’t this a good thing, though? Instead of trying to be identical, the actor is trying to interpret the role through his own understanding of the character.

Oh. Heh. I just realised that you could read that as a negative comment. I meant it was good :)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, the first season is a mirror image of the UK version. In the next few seasons you’ll see each character start to develop their own unique personalities, though. Look at Kelly for example, she is completely different in the next few seasons than she is in season 1.

i miss the old office when it wasnt just a place for people to find their soulmates and be a sappy extended family

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, the show has gotten a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.

Wait, sorry. Soulmates? Sappy? Family? Melodramatic?

PLEASE tell me we’re not talking about the same show.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Let’s just say after a certain point The Office starts to go downhill.

that is the magic of trying to appeal to a mass audience and milk your show for as long as you can instead of dancing with who brung you

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Man, how you get to be so wise, bro?

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I know! I know! I know!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Finished season 2 ep 6 of The Wire. Damn.

shit always catches up :/

on the upside that episode features the long anticipated courtroom testimony of omar little and that is a thing of beauty

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

10 episodes into season 2.

that guy-who-works-with-Lester-with-the-long-last-name

prez

he is a textbook unto himself on the subject of interesting character development i feel

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Midseason breaks are the worst. >_>

On the upside, there’s still Netflix. Been watching Parenthood through it, as well as rewatching Battlestar Galactica. Also rewatching Pushing Daisies online, but only the first nine episodes are available legally. Guess I’ll probably buy the show on DVD.

Parenthood

i have been considering starting this show based entirely on the presence of michael b jordan

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I… don’t completely know who that is. But definitely watch it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

In a moment of surreality, I watched an episode of Burn Notice that he was in.

I… don’t completely know who that is. But definitely watch it.

he is wallace and i want to know where he is string

also vince from friday night lights

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

WHERE’S WALLACE? WHERE’S WALLACE, STRING?

Where’s Loki? Where’s Loki, Heimdall?!

Where’s Zoe? Where’s Zoe, Luther?!

Where’s Ryan? Where’s Ryan, Miner?!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

1 episode left.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Alright, finished season 2 of The Wire.

season 3 is a thing of beauty though so brace yourself

and season 4 is even better i feel

So, Mike and Molly. I’ve seen half the first series now. Not too funny when dealing with the main characters (though Victoria takes the cake in everything), and the romance progresses very fast. The sweet moments were awesome and sweet; the fat jokes, ridiculous, numerous, and totally unneccessary. And don’t even get me started on religion. Chuck Lorre stuff is very hit or miss when it comes to jokes.

The plots were sometimes good, sometimes stupid, and often made Molly into a nag. I could do without that.

And the structure… it’s kind of like watching something made in the 90s, it’s so traditional. Big Bang Theory was at least funny enough and colourful enough (just look at the costumes and set design!) and different enough that it got away with it. But here the colour scheme is more realistic and the show doesn’t stand out in any other ways, making the way it’s shot simply stifling and highlighting the lack of creativity in most areas of the show. It’s pretty tired—a Thursday night flop in front of the telly type of show, really.

Billy Gardell is absolutely gorgeous as Mike—he’s by far the most comfortable in this show. Though he’s not as funny as apparently he can be outside of it. Katy Mixon’s Victoria. SHEER GENIUS. I would buy it for her. The three minutes she’s in the show for are the higlight of the episode. The woman needs her own spin-off. I have no feelings about Swoosie Kurtz beyond the fact that the colour of her hair annoys me. Melissa McCarthy, who is awesome, isn’t done justice in this show, which isn’t comedic enough to showcase her comedy talents, and not dramatic enough to put those comedic chops to use. She’s sort of the straight man with a few funny lines—nothing like the amazing large ham performance she gave in Bridesmaids. And can we ditch Nyambi Nyambi’s character, the offensive African diner guy who’s always going on about starvation and how fat Mike is? He’s stereotypical, not funny, and if they were aiming for a counterpoint to over-eating, they got it completely wrong.

Altogether, I would take out the fat jokes, hire some new writers, stick some adventure in there, add a few more arcs rather than just the main one, deepen the characters a little more, and not let the show run beyond its course in terms of plot. Maybe even take out the laugh track, which would require a slightly different set of comedy skills but from what I’ve seen these guys have the potential. Could be good there.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited

take out the fat jokes

there would be no show

also i am starting homeland

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

sansafro187: Oh, I think he’s Jabar (if that’s how it’s spelled). He’s really great in it.

Wait, Swoosie Kurtz is in Mike and Molly? HOW COULD THEY DO THIS.

Dexter has only four seasons. This is a fact.

Also, that Michael guy plays Alex. He’s not in the show until season two. He’s good, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Ah, okay. I’m still on season one.

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo

Kinda butting in here, but has anyone seen Person of Interest? It’s ten episodes into the first season, but the basic premise is that Ben Linus + Jesus = Batman.

I’m not good at in-depth commentary on shows, but I think it’s pretty damn cool. Plus, you’d expect Reese to be a Boring Invincible Hero, but he gets his ass handed to him in the second episode, and that’s not the only time. Not to mention no one is infallible. But that’s just me.

SOME SPOILERS FOLLOW: The Dexter season finale finally gave fans what they wanted. This season wasn’t THAT bad but it’s a little sad when these things are now permanently stuck in the series’ history and they just have to move on with what they’ve already established. It would have been a bigger twist this season if Geller WAS real. But Dexter is very hit and miss with its seasons so I still have high hopes that season 7 could be brilliant. I mean look at 4. And 2. It is possible for the writers to be intelligent and write a coherent plot.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited

It is possible for the writers to be intelligent and write a coherent plot.

the writers now are almost certainly not the same writers then

I know writers change I was just saying in general writers of the show can write it well. Wouldn’t the head writer stay the same so it’s kinda their fault?

I really like Downton Abbey so far. I’m a sucker for British period dramas, but it’s some good suspenseful intrigue which sets it apart. It’s also making me think about some stuff in my WIP, which is always a good thing.

Watching Little Dorrit because I’m in need of a Dickens fix. I feel bad for Freema’s character, Tattycoram.

Oh my bad the showrunner of Dexter did apparently leave after season 4. Go figure. Season 3 wasn’t that great but at least it didn’t have any huge plot holes, illogicalness and stupidity that I’m aware of. But still why can’t new showrunners and writers be competent enough to see obvious flaws?

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011

SWQ: My friend keeps trying to get me to watch Downtown Abbey and I just haven’t gotten to it yet. I do like the sound of the intrigue part :) Gosh I need to watch more good tv, instead of just whatever comes on. It’s not like I couldn’t use the time to get all my crafting done.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011

Yep, DA does really good drama. I just watched season three…it ends of a killer cliffhanger, of course.

Lady Mary from Downton Abbey exemplifies almost everything I hate about the Rebellious Princess stereotype. Except, strangely, for the refusing-to-wear-gowns-and-corsets, which corresponds to her sister Sybil. Sybil, however, is not a raging bitch, so she’s a character I actually enjoy watching.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011

Sybil is a wonderful character. It’s fascinating how they manage the social transition into a new age, and the way that the characters react. His Lordship, for example, in the third season, goes completely out of character.

Lookingforme literally just opened her present from me and I gave her a book about Downton Abbey. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011

I just watched the first episode of Downton Abbey. XD

I didn’t realize Susan was in it! And she plays a cool character, too. Her name’s… Mary? Honestly, I can’t keep track of half of the things in Masterpiece shows.

Susan

Susan who? Pevensie? No, definitely not.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011 edited

Susan Sto Helit of Discworld. :P Whoever the actress is, she played Susan in the movie adaptation of the Hogfather (which, I believe, was a TV movie, so we can discuss it here!).

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Hold up. There’s a Discworld movie? Is it good? Is it terrible? Tell me more.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

There are a bunch! The first one I saw was Hogfather, which is actually what got me into the Discworld books. It’s a good movie, and Teatime is amazing, but it’s… well, it’s the book, in movie format. There’s also one for… whichever book is the first, as well as one for Going Postal (which was excellent, but I haven’t read the book yet so…). I bet they have even more. Try Wikipedia.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

There’s only three so far (as far as I know, at least). And the second one is actually the first two Discworld books. The first one ends on a major cliffhanger.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

The Wire season 3 spoilers:

WELL GET ON WITH IT MOTHERFU-

Good job though, Puppet. Season 3 and Season 4 are generally considered to be the apex of the show, with the “better” season usually coming down to personal preference. Season 4 is my favorite season of TV ever, but S3 is right behind it.

Some people like Season 2 the best, but these people are perverts.

Nick Jr was so cool.

And apparently, my parents think Downton Abbey is kind of like a British K-Drama. Makes sense, really.

I watched all of Series Six of Doctor Who in one sitting.

My brain hurts.

It should. I’ve only watched the first two in that series, and they were pretty mind blowing themselves! ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012

Finished season 4 of The Wire.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited

Finished season 4 of The Wire.

YO THIS IS MY CORNER I AIN’T RUNNIN’ NOWHERE

But then, if there’s one thing I think The Wire believes in, it’s the value of mentors.

Got back into watching Veronica Mars after stopping last summer. Still can’t get over how the high schoolers are in their late 20s and some of the writers forget their writing in the 21st century. The title character just kind of sounds more like a smarter Buffy that anything sympathetic. Don’t care for Lamb, and don’t understand why people like him. Really liking Mac though. And Weevil.

Also, fuck Madison. How the first season doesn’t end with her getting murdered is a travesty.

VERONICA IS MAI WAIFU OKAY

If you didn’t really enjoy the first season, though, I can’t really recommend continuing as it’s the best one.

Don’t care for Lamb, and don’t understand why people like him.

I suspect it’s that one overtly good deed he does coming at exactly the right moment for some portion of the audience to latch onto as evidence of his goodguyness.

Really liking Mac though. And Weevil.

WHERE IS LOGAN !!

I think Weevil is a pretty cool guy though.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012

VERONICA IS MAI WAIFU OKAY

WAIT WHAT ABOUT VERONICA MARS?

Ohwait. You’re talking about other shows.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

The era of my life in which I watched Veronica Mars was short and yet unbearably sweet.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I watched it over Netflix so that was only a month or two of my life. XD

Pushing Daisies. I love that show so much I have no words. So much adorable.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012

Pushing Daisies! I actually got my DVDs of that show in early January. I still need to continue watching…

Also, do we have any Canadians? Someone recommend to me a good Canadian show (preferably relatively recent) that isn’t Flashpoint!

Pushing Daisies! I actually got my DVDs of that show in early January. I still need to continue watching…

I’ve got the second season on DVD, and I’ve already watched the first. I’m saving this one for when I’m in a lousy mood and need cheering up. It’s so delightfully sappy.