Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

We all need to laugh now.

Well, I’m definitely in agreement with that. Quick, someone post a picture of ponies! Or kittens! Or a cute animal doing something funny!

I love, “But I’m not old enough to watch The Wire!”

I approve.

Ooh, things got kinda awry because of The Wire.

Anyway, I just had a nice time with a friend, who happened to own a VHS recorder, and we both traveled back to Memory Lane and the glorious 90s.

And among those jewels recorded, he had some episodes of Baby Follies!

The baby in the pic, one of the protagonists, is a suckahollic (spelling?), just like Maggie Simpson.

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

Quick, someone post a picture of ponies! Or kittens! Or a cute animal doing something funny!
    Sound like a job for me.

Oh god what is happening?! Glad I missed it. Maybe I’ll check out The Wire some day. Right now I am watching It’s Always Sunny in Philidelphia and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I know I should stop being the hipster douchebag who thinks everything is shit, but eurgh the new Futurama were truely terrible. And yet according to like IGN Americans still think it’s funny. Just like apparently The Simpsons is still funny. THEY’RE NOT. I have higher humor standards and if they dip below their original quality I cry. I freaking loved Community season 1 then the majority of season 2 was bad and yet sansafro still thinks it’s hilarious. What am I missing?

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011

^^Don’t worry, you’re not alone. I absolutely loathe the Futurama and The Simpsons as their humour does not click with me. My parents banning me from watching any shows that bear a resemblance to The Simpsons probably added to my dislike towards those type of shows.

But I hope you are just talking about new episodes. Because old classic Simpsons and Futurama kick ass. I know a decent amount of people who weren’t allowed to watch those shows as a kid. I don’t see the big deal for the most part. Now banning your kids from watching South Park makes sense to me.

I didn’t think the new Futurama episodes were great, but I laughed a lot and they were decently constructed. As long as they put out a bunch of decent episodes and a few stone cold classics(like the body-swapping and time travel episodes last season) I’m totally okay with that.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I thought The Wire discussion was pretty interesting, personally. O well.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Watching the season 9 finale of MI-5 was like coming home and realizing that everything familiar had been rearranged and defaced, and the things you cared about the most were shredded and lying out in the rain.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011 edited

OK… not to stir up The Wire stuff again… but just to say that I personally have been enjoying it, and for me I was hooked at the end of the third episode, so I guess I was a bit faster than most people Sansa gets hooked!

DISCLAIMER: However, it’s fine if people don’t like it, and we can all just leave it at that, OK?

I guess I was a bit faster than most people Sansa gets hooked!

It’s a good sign for you if it’s clicked that fast, because it only gets better. I can definitely see Ep. 3 though, since it’s got the Chess Scene, Omar’s debut, and the first hint of Cool Lester Smooth and his natural policing among other highlights.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011 edited

The chess scene was part of it. And Lester, but I really, really loved the chess scene. Murdering, drug-selling psychopaths by night, kind of nice people by day. (and yes, I’m aware that’s a ridiculously broad over-simplification and misrepresentation of everyone involved ;))

Well, to be fair, of the Pit crew, the only murderer is D’Angelo… so far. And unless you’ve been paying really close attention, even he is less of a murderer than you think he is at this point.

I just love how dead-set Bodie is on the pawns making it to the end like it counts for something. It explains a lot about the guy, going forward(he’s my favorite character, for the record).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011

I can’t tell if I like Bodie or dislike him yet.

I was always kind of neutral toward Bodie. It was only till season 4 that I actually sympathized for him.

And in other TV news,

This happened.

I guarantee you’ll hate him by the end of the first season. It’s a Rule of The Wire. There’s a good chance he’ll grow on you throughout the show’s run, though. He did for me at least.

The thing you’ve got to realize about him is that he’s probably the most dogmatic of any of the street characters, at least in the early seasons. He’s got very concrete notions of what it means to be in the Game and he’s not very forgiving to people who fall outside those notions. D’Angelo questions assumptions about the Game that Bodie’s taken as articles of faith, so Bodie chafes under him. Wallace has a softer heart than Bodie thinks is required, so Bodie bullies him.

He’s also got one of my favorite blink-and-you’ll-miss-it bits of characterization in the whole show, when Omar and crew hit their first Barksdale stash house. Everybody present hits the deck except Bodie, who does the most half-assed kneeling I’ve ever seen in my life, like he’s got to force himself to get even that low to the ground.

I finished Dexter season two, and I have to agree that Doakes is the best character.

I don’t know what to make of that picture, Marquis.

I’ve been trying to tough it out through the first few episodes of Justified over the last couple days, but it hasn’t really clicked with me yet. I guess I expected it to have a more serial story than it does thus far, seeing as it’s a cable drama. It’s hard to invest in case-of-the-week stuff for me now for whatever reason.

Justified

My parents watch that show. I’ve seen a few episodes, and it seems to have a little more of a serial storyline with the people in Timothy Olyphant’s hometown. At least it seemed that way in the second season. I’ve liked what I’ve seen, but I haven’t gotten into it because I have other things to do/watch when it comes on.

Well, I’m gonna give it until the end of Season 1 at least, if only because Timothy Olyphant wears a mean cowboy hat.

I don’t know what to make of that picture, Marquis.

Yeah, the lack of Zorak bothers me.

BRAK SON

Well, sticking with Justified seems like a good decision right now. On Ep. 9 right now and it has indeed grown more serial.

Some bastard took Timothy Olyphant’s cowboy hat though, and I may have to drop the show if he doesn’t get it back.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited

Yeah, I’m a dipshit. Just finished Season 1 and Justified is awesome. Season 2 needs to get on to my hard drive faster than it is, so me and Raylan can continue to be charming and light bitches up and look good in hats.

edit THREE POST COMBO I AM UNSTOPPABLE

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Obliged, Puppet. Somehow, I always knew you’d be the one to stop me.

Okay, a shipping thing that’s trivial and sixteen-year-old-fanfic-writer-ish but is annoying the heck outta me.

I’ve just finished watching the third season of The Big Bang Theory, and I’ve come to the point where I can’t deny that Penny and Sheldon have much more chemistry than Penny and Leonard.

I want to root for ‘Leonard gets the girl and keeps her’. I like Leonard. And I like rooting for the same thing that the show’s creators are aiming at rather than something different, because I’m more likely to get what I want in the end.

This ain’t gonna happen anymore.

Darn you, Kaley Cuoco and Jim Parsons! Darn you, I say!!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

I’m settling in to watch the first episode of Torchwwood season 4. I AM EXCITED. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011

My brother got me to start watching some Fringe with him. Just finished the first season and all I can say is “WTF??”

Fringe has good ol’ Cedric Daniels, at least.

BREAKING BAD SEASON 4 IN AN HOUR AND A HAAAAAAAALF

BREAKING BAD SEASON 4 IN AN HOUR AND A HAAAAAAAALF

YES!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011

My brother’s been obsessing about it all week long.

I wont be able to see Breaking Bad till I downloads it and my internet isn’t as fast as I would like it to be. Plus my power is out at home so I am at my mum’s using USB internet and it wouldn’t be wise to download Breaking Bad with it. I do not want to go over the limit, whatever that is. A thousand :( forever.

I just watched all four seasons of The IT Crowd in three days. Totally crushing on Chris O’Dowd now. I love his accent.

So excited for this season.

SPOILERS

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011 edited

That episode of Breaking Bad was just wow.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

Got back into Detective Conan. I forgot how much I love this show.

Got Diamonte to try Breaking Bad, so I find myself rewatching it. This is actually the first time, since it was a long time until Season 4, and I didn’t want to make the hunger pangs any worse. Still awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011

Fringe is blowing my mind and manipulating my emotions at every turn. And I’m loving every minute of it.

Also, Sons of Anarchy. Not sure how they manage to cram so many ethnicities/gangs/crime into one small town in northern California, but the show’s enjoyable and the characterization is compelling, so I think I’ll continue watching it, for now.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011

Spanman, how far have you gotten in Fringe. My friend fell in love with it, and I watched most of the second season with her, borrowed a copy of the first season from a friend of my brother, and while I know a little about the 3rd. But I can definitely see where you’re coming from.

As for me, well,. I’ve finally watched My Little Pony (and got my brothers to watch it too!)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011

I’m about halfway through season 2. Olivia just found out

So as you can imagine everything’s probably about to get intense.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Finished watching season 1 of Camelot last night. Arthur’s return to Camelot in the last episode was sooo satisfying.

Why did nobody tell me the new Scooby Doo was this cool? It has arcs, cyborgs, Harlan Ellison, and even come cracks at Twilight. S’got everything good the previous shows didn’t have. Of course, there’s the whole Shaggy/Velma thing, but I can get over that.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

End of Fringe season 2: I’m so horrified that I can barely think straight.

This show is frigging amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011

SHARK WEEK

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011

I’ve been watching Castle – it’s hilarious, touching, and contains Nathan Fillion making Firefly references. I love it!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011

How far into it are you? I feel like the first season was the best, personally. Not to say that the show is bad now, but it does seem to have degraded into just another cop drama show on TV.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

^^Still, the characters are more engaging/fun than most other shows. Better than the Criminal Minds spinoff which practically only has thoretically human placeholders to deliver the storyline and nothing else.

I haven’t even watched all that much of it, why am I so bitter?

However, I still enjoy Castle.

But, Puppet, your comment does remind me that I haven’t enjoyed this season of Warehouse 13 as much as I did the first (I missed most of the second). It doesn’t help that the new guy they added was probably one of the first guys on tv I developed a crush on. It was way back on the Disney channel and had something to do with ambulances, but I can’t remember anything else about it. So, yeah, didn’t mean that to be quite as much a digression.

But has anyone else had that weird timewarp sense when an actor you don’t consciously remember suddenly shows up again and it’s uncomfortable like déjà vu?

I’m grinding out the first season of Deadwood, about 3/4ths of the way done. It’s really good, but I don’t know that I love it the way I love The Wire and Breaking Bad and such.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

How far into it are you? I feel like the first season was the best, personally. Not to say that the show is bad now, but it does seem to have degraded into just another cop drama show on TV.

I’m 8 episodes into season 2. The last 3 episodes (Halloween, pop musicians and a family of political people) were particularly fun. I am missing the first season’s cold openers with murder-appropriate music, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I thoroughly enjoyed seasons 1 and 2. In season 3 however, some things start to get a little too strange and unrealistic for my tastes.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011 edited

I gave into temptation and finished watching series 2 of Misfits.

Oh NATHAN. :(

<3

So, most of you guys probably won’t care, and didn’t know where else to put this, but me and some other guys decided to try our hand at making a best animated series list.

65-61
    60-56
    55-51
    50-46
    45-41
    40-36
    35-31
    30-26
    25-21
    20-16
    15-11
    10-6
    5-1
    The leftovers.

Yeah, we watch too many cartoons for our own good.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011 edited

Interesting read, Marquis. I’ll have to check out some of those shows when I have time.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011

I’m not sure about your scoring criteria, and I do disagree with you on quite a few points, I mean no Brave Star, Swat Kats, TinTin, Captain Bucky O’Hare and Flash Gordon? Also, no mention of Black Lagoon?!

I do, however, applaud your inclusion of Johnny Quest and Rocko’s modern life.

I mean no Brave Star, Swat Kats, TinTin, Captain Bucky O’Hare and Flash Gordon?

A combination of “Uh, we didn’t see those shows, sorry.” and “Nostalgia? In my list?!”

Also, no mention of Black Lagoon?!

Since some of us making the list quite like Black Lagoon, crap. We forgot.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’ve finally gotten around to watching Dexter again, and I’m near the end of season 4 at the moment. Damn this show is intense.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m just happy to see BTAS, ATLA, and JLU on that list, Marquis. And my goodness, are there an awful lot of animated shows that can be shortened down to acronyms.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

A combination of “Uh, we didn’t see those shows, sorry.”

Oh that does not include Bucky O’Hare. TELL ME THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE BUCKY O’HARE.

Oh that does not include Bucky O’Hare. TELL ME THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE BUCKY O’HARE.

But none of us are British, and the show was on U.S. syndication when most of us were still learning to crawl. We didn’t know any better!

Don’t hurt me.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Promise you’ll try to watch the first episode. :D

Although, watching it now, it sure was trippy.

But it’s cool. You have Jonny Quest there, so all is good. I would prefer Daria a lot higher, but I think I can close my eyes and ears for a bit.

Absence of Venture Bros is a serious oversight. I also feel like Monster is way too high considering how disappointing the final act is, but mad props for including GTO.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011

Jeni, I salute you. Welcome to the cool club.

You only need to watch the opening sequence to realise it should be in the top 50.

In another – Dimension – another time and space

Also, was Pokémon on it? I can’t recall seeing it…

No, it wasn’t. Once again, we couldn’t let nostalgia get in the way.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Ahh but it’s not only nostalgia with Pokémon. After all, it did usher in a generation of kids who grew up on the games and cartoons.

Pokémon was a game-changer any way you look at it. It deserves a place just because of that.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Jeni, I salute you. Welcome to the cool club.

I founded the club.

I would argue that Silver Surfer should be in that list too. Excellent writing and animation, in my opinion.

ALSO, I forgot to yell at you about this, what is up with the lack of Jackie Chan Adventures?!

Eh I don’t like lists much because there’s probably many great things the list makers haven’t seen or forget about and putting them in an order doesn’t work and only really starts to matter when you get down to the top 3 or something. But it’s a mostly nice list.

Pokemon anime sucks. I only rate things as good if they have narrative depth and good writing and such beyond being enjoyable for kids on a base level. It is literally the same thing every episode with Team Rocket coming up with a plan and failing every time and it goes nowhere. Also the animation is terrible because they churn out so many episodes constantly. But yeah as a kid it was the bomb.

The Jackie Chan Adventures were awesome.

I really need to check out this batman series since so many people say it’s brilliant.

I’m surprised and pleased that One Piece got a mention in the leftovers and I agree with what you said. The manga is much better. And I am glad you said other shounen such as Naruto have notably weaker stories.

I’m glad you didn’t have any Seth Macfarlane cartoons on the list.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Right and right again. See, this is why these lists need input from everyone because you miss a lot of the good stuff.

Also Jeni, correction, the Cool Club was founded in 1871 by Dominic Cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

ALSO, I forgot to yell at you about this, what is up with the lack of Jackie Chan Adventures?!

<3 <3 <3

So much nostalgia.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Also Jeni, correction, the Cool Club was founded in 1871 by Dominic Cool.

I gave him the idea.

So much nostalgia.

...nostalgia?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hmm, maybe nostalgia wasn’t the best word to use there. Let’s just say I have good memories of watching Jackie Chan Adventures years ago.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

To be fair, I don’t think I started watching Jackie Chan Adventures until at least 2003, or whenever Tohru joined them. So my watching is somewhat sporadic and out-of-sync.

And yet I still think it’s one of the greatest cartoons to grace this earth.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011 edited

I admit, I was more interested in the PlayStation game it spawned than the actual cartoon. Now that was awesome.

Also, you were alive in 1871?! Just how old are you?!

Also, you were alive in 1871?! Just how old are you?!

Time travel, duh.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Crap, I’ve been spending too much time on a certain website – I just went to upvote your post, Marquis. T_T

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011

Ah tv shows I've seen in the last couple years or so- I've either not had a tv or else disliked sitting through ads that I never really watched that much tv. Until I found motion empire. And then I found I rather dislike the episodic nature of tv shows and am mostly attracted to ones that actually feel like they have a forward moving plot.

For that reason, I don't particularly like cop shows, although I have watched The District and a fair amount of Numb3rs.
    First season of The Office, 1.5 seasons of Flight of the Conchords, everything of the Arrested Development, first season of Big Bang Theory. All of them were fun, but with the exception of Flight and Arrested, I don't think I'd sit down and watch any other season unless I was with other people.

On again/ off again follow Jon Stewart's Daily Show, plus Craig Ferguson (absolutely love how Craig handles celebrity meltdowns. Such a sympathetic/ honourable man.)

1.5 season of Legend of the Seeker- far too episodic and rambling to be properly liked. For a story based on a book, I felt like I was going no-where's and it was just a series of random adventures that kept distracting them.

Everything of Firefly- people made a big deal of this and I can see why. Dearly wish it wasn't cancelled.

Everything of Battlestar Galatica- loved these series, except to some extent season 4 and the whole, let's abandon all our technology and start from scratch. Didn't make sense. But this series is tv done right in my eyes. Plot progression all the time (with some down time in S04). It felt like a story and not just a random collection of events like a sitcom.

Everything of Lost- alternate realities forward/backward jumping kinda got weird, but up until that point I really loved it and Season 5 seemed to have the older feel to it. I loved the continual discovery of old tech- really had the feeling of Mist/ Riven (I wasn't at all surprised to learn the creators had played those games.) There's a lot to critique about Lost, but I enjoyed (I also watched when everything was out, so I didn't have to be so impatient.)

Vampire Diaries- probably should be considered a guilty pleasure? (Feels odd post-Twilight to be enjoying a high-school drama about were-wolves and vampires, but for some reason I do.) Personally, it seems written smartly enough- there are some rather contrived ways of keeping the core characters alive, but the butcher's bill is decently high.

And then I found I rather dislike the episodic nature of tv shows and am mostly attracted to ones that actually feel like they have a forward moving plot.

Let me tell you about a little show called The Wire…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

And then I found I rather dislike the episodic nature of tv shows and am mostly attracted to ones that actually feel like they have a forward moving plot.

Let me tell you about a little show called Farscape…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Let me tell you about a little show called Deadwood…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Let me tell you about a little show called Avatar: The Last Airbender…

...what? It’s a forward-moving show! Most of the time…

The Mighty Boosh, series 2. It feels like it’s lost a bunch of improv and they seem to use a Chekov’s gun in every single episode so far.

Still funny, though. AND IT HAS RICHARD AYOADE!

I started watching Six Feet Under. I like it so far. Plus, the lime green hearse is cool. Plus plus, it has Michael C. Hall.

Finally caught up with the last two episodes of the Guild.

Buffy marathon today. Aw yeah.

Cue metafictional “Aw”.

Aw!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011

Only one episode left of The Killing.

I’m not sure I want to watch it. Welp.

._.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011 edited

THEIS. TROELS. LUND. PERNILLE.

WHAT THIS IS NOT FAIR. ;_;

But there’s another series. And it’s going to be shown soon!

THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE.

If you appreciate smart, exciting, complex, character-full TV shows, you should watch Forbrydelsen. I don’t know about the American version, but I’m going to assume it sucks because it doesn’t have a politician called Troels (which, incidentally, is one of the best names to say, ever).

I don’t know about the American version

It’s a piece of shit.

The Killing is up there with the best US shows, such as The Wire

Lies and damn lies.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011

Hahah, the American version sounds bad. I don’t know how they could have condensed the series down to 13 episodes, how could they fit in the political backdrop as well as the story?

It’s not a strict adaptation, technically, it just has a lot of reused elements. It’s Red Herrings: The Series. Stupid detectives fuck around for an episode, then find the suspect at the end who is CLEARLY GUILTY and it ends on a cliffhanger. Then the next episode opens, and there’s some explanation for why the CLEARLY GUILTY behavior was just a misunderstanding and then it’s back to the same old dance ad nauseam.

Then in the last two episodes or so, the investigating detectives do some preschool level police work(searching a teenage girl’s internet history? Who’d have thunk it? Sheeeeeeeeeeit.) and the season ends on another goddamn fakeout cliffhanger, when the whole promotional campaign was based around finding out who killed freaking Rosie Larsen, thus blueballing the poor saps who stuck it out just to find this out.

I guess the existence of The Killing makes me appreciate The Wire more, though. Jimmy McNulty or Bunk Moreland are written smart enough to solve the majority of TV police procedurals blindfolded, and Lester Freamon could do it both blindfolded and standing on his head while reciting the Constitution backwards, and it’s nice to be reminded of this.

You should probably watch The Wire while you’re on a foreign crime show kick. It’s a proven fact that British people love it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011 edited

Then the next episode opens, and there’s some explanation for why the CLEARLY GUILTY behavior was just a misunderstanding and then it’s back to the same old dance ad nauseam.

...how could they destroy it so? ;_;

The reason there are so many “red herrings” (I’m loathe to call them that, but the term will do for now) in the original, is because the story that the killing opens up is so massive and complex everything gets caught in its wake. So many different parties have interest in seeing this murder solved or not solved that, ultimately, it almost doesn’t matter who the killer is.

And the character development: the beauty of it makes me weep.

You should probably watch The Wire while you’re on a foreign crime show kick. It’s a proven fact that British people love it.

It’s first on the list for when I get my own place. ;)

Watching My Little Pony like a boss.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011 edited

I’m about to watch the last episode of City Hunter. I’m kind of an emotional wreck right now.

Chocolate! That is the answer to this sorry state of affairs.

City Hunter

NNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDD

In other TV news, Breaking Bad was so badass this week you would not believe how badass it was, and there’s still, what, 3 or 4 episodes left in the season? Shit’s gonna get real.

Also Community Season 3 premieres this week. I’m pretty sure it’s either going to be the best season of a comedy show ever or the worst, depending on if they really can incorporate The Wire into the structure without fucking it up. Either way, Professor Omar comin’ yo.