Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011

His picture is on the library card the Doctor flashes at the not-vampire girls while he’s sneaking around the school. I didn’t notice it either, until I saw the episode Saturday on BBC America.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011

Don’t forget

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

^^That was really sad, and I don’t even watch the show that much.

Next Community is going to be best Community. Paintball and this:

Alison Brie is my waifu.

Still a bit confused as to why I like this show.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011 edited

The appearance of Rory has made Doctor Who a little better for me. But if he turns into another Mickey, I’ll be very displeased.

I don’t think Rory is like Mickey. I really like Rory.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011

Spanman – I’m not sure how far you are into season 5 yet, so let me just say… I didn’t like Rory too much at first, but then I loved him. So even if you aren’t completely sold on him at first, you’ll probably start to like him more later.

Here’s a trailer of Community clips cut to look like it’s a romantic comedy(500 Days of Summer, specifically).

It’s nuts how different most of those scenes/jokes play when they add new music cues and cuts and such… although the last bit is pretty much the same as it was in the regular show(hilarious).

I want a 500 Days of Leonard trailer.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

Finished season 5 of Doctor Who. I want to be horribly bothered by the crossing timelines and two Amys and two Doctors and all, but I’m too busy falling in love with Rory.

Earthshock. These are the Cybermen people have been waxing nostalgic over?

....I’ll take the Cybus Cybermen anyday.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

but I’m too busy falling in love with Rory.

HE’S MINE, DAMMIT.

<3

There are now ads for BSG on BBCA. First TNG, then X-Files, now this? What the hell? Are they trying to be turn into SyFy?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I WILL FIGHT YOU, JENI.

Guys, guys. Just ask the Doctor to make a time-clone of Rory.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011 edited

Not even I could tolerate such a gross misuse of time. Not even for Rory.

If I hadn’t been clear about it yet, I plan on marrying Alison Brie. Also I want next week to be here already, because the latter half of Community’s season finale looks like it’s going to go completely off the rails.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

If I hadn’t been clear about it yet, I plan on marrying Alison Brie. Also I want next week to be here already, because the latter half of Community’s season finale looks like it’s going to go completely off the rails.

I 100% agree with everything you wrote.

Damn.

I 100% agree with everything you wrote.

Even on planning to marry Alison Brie?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011 edited

Even on planning to marry Alison Brie?

Well, I think that part is illegal in most states, but hell yeah. She kicked ass.

Well, I think that part is illegal in most states, but hell yeah. She kicked ass.

I guess that makes us rivals for her affection. I wish you luck, but I have no intention of losing.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I guess that makes us rivals for her affection. I wish you luck, but I have no intention of losing.

I thank you for your kind words, but I think you’ll need the luck more than I do.

That’s the spirit. Runner-up gets Donald Glover.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m sure you two shall be a very happy couple – that’s pretty good compensation, and will save you the humiliation of defeat.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

We’ll see who finds comfort in his frequent malapropisms and hilarious fake tears.

Also, if you’re ready to have your mind blown, do a little research on the kid who plays Magnitude.

POP POP, GRYFFINDOR

The Office played an Evanescence song. Also, The Horse Flyer. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Also, if you’re ready to have your mind blown, do a little research on the kid who plays Magnitude.

I apologize for the little bits of my brain that are still stuck to the carpet. I’ve tried to clean up the mess from the explosion as best as I can.

It’s fine. Yours is not the only brain what exploded.

Community and HP, two great tastes that taste great together.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011

Community

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

So, apparently my parents just found out I’ve been watching Game of Thrones. It’s been set to tape since it started, but they both thought that my dad had been recording it because he records random crap that he never watches all the time. They both asked me if was “sure” that I was the one watching it. This could be problematic if my dad decides to watch an episode…

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011 edited

Part 2 of Community’s season finale incoming. My predictions? Jeff was actually the one voting to keep Pierce, and City College is behind the invasion, or at least heavily involved in it.

Well, that was quick.

So MacFarlane’s been given the go to make a Flintstones reboot…

...argh.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011

I watched Survivors over the last couple of weeks. It was pretty good, but not really anything that special as far as post-apocalyptic fiction goes. But Phillip Rhys and Max Beesley are nothing but lovable, even though I’d only seen Beesley in Hotel Babylon before, and he was and incredibly different character in that.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Now on to Sherlock!

The new Looney Tunes show is all right. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as the originals or Tiny Toons. Still a decent timewaster and hell of a lot better than Loonatics.

So MacFarlane’s been given the go to make a Flintstones reboot…

o_O
    :O
    D:
    Nooooooooooooooooo!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011 edited

Vincent Nigel-Murray is dead.

quietly weeps

I’m going to attempt to sign up for HBO GO so I can make a friend of mine watch Game of Thrones. If that succeeds, I could potentially lend out said account to help people watch The Wire, if it could be done without getting the account banned.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011

Well, I watched the pilot of The Wire. Seems good so far, but now I’m depressed. Will keep watching. See how it goes.

Seems good so far, but now I’m depressed.

How come? Because the only guy who does the right thing in the whole episode ends up getting aced at the end? Things of that nature are gonna happen a lot, because the show’s essential message is that the status quo will smash you if you stand against it.

Also, I implore you to stick it out for at least the fourth episode, even if it’s depressing or it doesn’t seem like much is happening. That’s usually where it really clicks for people in my experience. By that point, you have typically gotten the hang of watching it and you realize just how much stuff is going on.

It’s learning the rules of chess. It can be initially off-putting, but chess is a better game, yo.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011

I’ve watched so much Numb3rs in the past week. Almost finished with the series.

I'm watching S5 of Stargate SG1
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011

I’m half way through season 2 of Carnivàle. And I’m kinda pissed that HBO canceled it after two seasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

Watched the fourth episode of The Wire. I lol’d all the way through the “Fuck!” kitchen scene.

The Fuck Scene is probably my favorite one from the first season(winner being the Poker Scene from S4, you’ll know it when you get to it). It’s both hilarious and really clever. It really illustrates how competent Bunk and McNulty are, shows you that their rapport is so strong they can figure out a crime scene using only permutations of “fuck” to communicate, and gives a big middle finger to lesser police shows where characters narrate everything they’re doing because they assume the audience is either stupid or lazy. You can follow everything they do in that scene if you’re actually watching them(assuming you aren’t laughing too hard).

Joffrey Baratheon is like a slimier version of Draco Malfoy with real power. shudders

^^He really is.

Catelyn’s pissed off expression when she was talking to her sister was pretty awesome. I think of that only because Lysa’s son is another little tyrant, though with considerably less power than Joffrey.

And also: Tonks. Is. Osha.

I was unnaturally excited about this. I like seeing people I recognize in things that I’m not expecting them to be in.

Skipping over 6 pages of material… (except to say I LOVED Kaylee).

Watched Daybreak on Netflix. Better than I thought it would be.

Also watched the live action the Tick on Netflix. Man did I love that.

I think both warrant full reviews on my blog.

Is the dog supposed to be Omar?

I just started season six

This week’s episode of South Park was disturbingly depressing.

I think the dog is Prez, since there’s a P on his collar and he has a gun and a goofy/sheepish look on his face.

Yeah, in hindsight, it definitely seems like Prez. Oh, and the artist updated his picture.

I actually kind of want to see a W:TAS, mostly for the pure novelty in eventually seeing Namond, Michael, Dukie, and Kenard solving mysteries and singing crappy songs with their talking dog-teacher.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

I finally finished Lark Rise to Candleford!

Spoilers for the fourth season:

I’ve been watching the second season of Dexter, and ya gotta feel kinda bad for Doakes.

EDIT: And Lila be crazy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

Doakes. D:

Doakes was the best character on that show.

The last scene of GoT’s newest episode was heartwrenching.

Warning, spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011 edited

You might want to spoiler tag that, SWQ.

Crisis averted.

Oops, sorry! Fixed now.

Damn, I thought you meant spoilers for the last episode. :/

Oh, well.

I agree about the last scene. I thought it was more effective than it was in the book.

Just finished Prometheus. . .

And they all went on to Jeeves and Wooster.

I thought it was more effective than it was in the book.

I feel like it’s the most distressing scenes

SPOILER

that will turn out the best in the TV series. It’s just something about the visual effect (and the actors of course- poor Sean Bean! It was like Boromir all over again, except WORSE!) that makes your stomach drop even more.

The wire season 1 disc 1 finally arrived.

Finished up Burn Notice season 3 and will probably start on Wire tomorrow.

Sheeeeeeyit. About time.

Also, new Futurama season starts tonight. Hell yes.

Yay for Futurama!

The Wire:
    Uh… how many episodes should I give this? So far I’m starting to understand why my parents have trouble watching hospital shows.

Uh… how many episodes should I give this?

It doesn’t really click for most people until the fourth episode or so. It’s not like there’s some kind of huge thing that makes people’s opinions suddenly change, but this is typically the point where the lightbulb turns on and you get it. If all you’re used to playing is checkers, it takes a little while to learn chess when you’re expecting the pieces to do lots of basic jumps and pretend like it’s real action.

So far I’m starting to understand why my parents have trouble watching hospital shows.

I don’t understand what this means.

I don’t understand what this means.

My mom’s a nurse (or was) and my dad was an EMT.

While my job isn’t exactly like any on TheWire, it is “in that world”. Why – after a ten hour day – would I want to come home and watch my work for an additional hour or more? It’s called escapism, not “repeat-my-day-ism”. That’s the biggest of my reasons for not being able to watch this show.

The Wire is rife with social commentary and the liberal political views of show creators Simon and Norris

(from tropes) That’s going to be another reason.

It’s called escapism, not “repeat-my-day-ism”.

Because limiting yourself to escapist entertainment is silly. Watching something about X to feel like “Man, I sure wish I was X” is fine sometimes, but if that’s required criteria, it feels pretty boring if that’s all you ever watch.

The Wire is rife with social commentary and the liberal political views of show creators Simon and Norris

Norris? The creators are David Simon and Ed Burns. But regardless, referring to the show’s politics as just “liberal political views” is reductive in the extreme. You found that summation on TV Tropes so I expect it to be reductive, but no, the show’s views(such as they are) are more complex than that. In some ways it has an almost libertarian bent(the War on Drugs is destructive, the system is corrupt by nature but there’s hope for the individual if he can extricate himself from it), but it’s not even remotely close to being a soapbox. If you find that off-putting sight unseen based on a TV Tropes description, I don’t really know what to tell you.

At any rate, it sounds like you’re just looking for reasons not to watch it. If you don’t want to, then don’t do it, but you’re depriving yourself of the best TV show we as a species have produced so far.

Because limiting yourself to escapist entertainment is silly. Watching something about X to feel like “Man, I sure wish I was X” is fine sometimes, but if that’s required criteria, it feels pretty boring if that’s all you ever watch.

Sansa, there’s a bit of a contradiction in there that’s humorous. ^ _ ^

Isn’t there a saying like “If I’m going to watch this, I’ll go to work and get paid for going through it”?

Norris? The creators are David Simon and Ed Burns. But regardless, referring to the show’s politics as just “liberal political views” is reductive in the extreme. You found that summation on TV Tropes so I expect it to be reductive, but no, the show’s views(such as they are) are more complex than that.

Yeah, I did some more research and saw that the views of the show are debated by fans of the show.

In some ways it has an almost libertarian bent(the War on Drugs is destructive, the system is corrupt by nature but there’s hope for the individual if he can extricate himself from it), but it’s not even remotely close to being a soapbox. If you find that off-putting sight unseen based on a TV Tropes description, I don’t really know what to tell you.

Speaking of research I’m curious where you live now and/or where you’re from. Why? Well… (see below)

At any rate, it sounds like you’re just looking for reasons not to watch it. If you don’t want to, then don’t do it, but you’re depriving yourself of the best TV show we as a species have produced so far.

I noticed in a lot of the articles I kept finding, the fandom seemed to consist entirely of north-east dwellers or those who spent a lot of time up there. It might be the “best” TV show made for its culture, but not as a whole. I’m willing to bet southerners and midwesterners might prefer something like Andy Griffith for their culture nadir.

By all means, if anyone likes it – more power to them and enjoy it to their hearts content (as a scifi/fantasy geek, I’m no stranger to liking things nobody else does). I got through 2 1/2 episodes and it….. is not for me. (though I can give more details if asked)

Speaking of research I’m curious where you live now and/or where you’re from. Why? Well… (see below)

Outside DFW.

I noticed in a lot of the articles I kept finding, the fandom seemed to consist entirely of north-east dwellers or those who spent a lot of time up there. It might be the “best” TV show made for its culture, but not as a whole. I’m willing to bet southerners and midwesterners might prefer something like Andy Griffith for their culture nadir.

That’s a cop out. The whole point of this site is that the quality of fiction can be measured on some objective level, and on any objective level this show demolishes everything that’s not Sopranos/Deadwood/Breaking Bad tier. That’s just the truth, and it’s as true in Texas as it is anywhere else in the country.

By all means, if anyone likes it – more power to them and enjoy it to their hearts content (as a scifi/fantasy geek, I’m no stranger to liking things nobody else does).

Nobody dislikes The Wire. There are people who love it, and people who haven’t watched it.

That’s a cop out. The whole point of this site is that the quality of fiction can be measured on some objective level, and on any objective level this show demolishes everything that’s not Sopranos/Deadwood/Breaking Bad tier. That’s just the truth, and it’s as true in Texas as it is anywhere else in the country.

I quite agree that there’s objective standards of fiction. Just like there’s objective standards of nutrition. That doesn’t mean everybody can have a taste for broccoli.

On some clinical level I might be able to acknowledge the show as achieving certain narrative goals. But I still found nothing to like about it. (well, I guess the homeless guy was alright)

Nobody dislikes The Wire. There are people who love it, and people who haven’t watched it.

To paraphrase rifftrax: “Ah but you’ve made a logical error. I have watched it and I don’t love it.”

I quite agree that there’s objective standards of fiction. Just like there’s objective standards of nutrition. That doesn’t mean everybody can have a taste for broccoli.

Except that it’s not broccoli, it’s more like a delicious steak that takes a little time to grill. You just don’t know how to taste it yet.

On some clinical level I might be able to acknowledge the show as achieving certain narrative goals. But I still found nothing to like about it. (well, I guess the homeless guy was alright)

This show does not attempt to hook you. It isn’t going to pander to you just to keep you interested, because it doesn’t care if you’re interested. It just sets to its work and expects you to keep up. It’s telling a grand, sweeping story, not generic ‘X of the week’ pabulum. It doesn’t have time to waste on trying to hook you.

To paraphrase rifftrax: “Ah but you’ve made a logical error. I have watched it and I don’t love it.”

You haven’t watched it, though. That’s like saying you’ve read Dostoevsky after quitting two chapters in. You’ve seen less than a tenth of the total cast. You’re basically claiming you’ve eaten dinner and didn’t like it while somebody’s starting to set the table.

Like I said, if you don’t want to watch it, don’t watch it. But don’t pretend to have an opinion about it, because you don’t.

Except that it’s not broccoli, it’s more like a delicious steak that takes a little time to grill. You just don’t know how to taste it yet.

You callin’ me some vegan hippie!?!?

Nah j/k. Though I do think it’s funny as aren’t there debates on the nutritious value of steak? (I’ve long since given up the urge to care and will eat my damn steak anyway).

Wait...

This show does not attempt to hook you. It isn’t going to pander to you just to keep you interested, because it doesn’t care if you’re interested. It just sets to its work and expects you to keep up. It’s telling a grand, sweeping story, not generic ‘X of the week’ pabulum. It doesn’t have time to waste on trying to hook you.

I think I see the leading cause of its low ratings. XD
    And that’s rather presumptuous of you to assume what “issues” i have with it, isn’t it?

You haven’t watched it, though. That’s like saying you’ve read Dostoevsky after quitting two chapters in. You’ve seen less than a tenth of the total cast. You’re basically claiming you’ve eaten dinner and didn’t like it while somebody’s starting to set the table.

More like… I’ve eaten an appetizer and started throwing up. So I don’t feel the need to continue the meal.

Like I said, if you don’t want to watch it, don’t watch it. But don’t pretend to have an opinion about it, because you don’t.

Presumptuous again. I’ve been trying to do a bit of research to see how much changed in the larger picture and it looked like the issues I have with it… aren’t fixed. One or two of them… maybe. But that’s not enough.

Let’s hear your “issues,” then.

I said earlier:

I got through 2 1/2 episodes and it….. is not for me. (though I can give more details if asked)

You really want me to explain or is this bait for a jihad excuse? ;-)

2 and 1/2… out of 60.

Well I wasn’t interested at first, but you kept cryptically referring to issues(“it looked like the issues I have with it… aren’t fixed. One or two of them… maybe. But that’s not enough.”) like they actually exist, so now I’m curious.

(everyone hit the deck)
    (I’m also pausing my season 6 review for this)

[takes a deep breath]

I could rant about this for awhile but… I’ll trim it up and boil it down to 2 1/2… 3 points. (though one of the points could be encompassing the others)

1. The language – And this isn’t me being just a prude. I’m a big believer in “brevity is the soul of wit” or as Mr Plinkett put it: “Don’t waste my time.” When constructing narrative, every beat, every moment should be in use to the story (this is one of my biggest problems with adaptions, esp. Harry Potter). If swearing and foul language serves a purpose, that’s fine, but at least half the show I watched it only served to cover up the “pauses” that are in normal language. Here, let me pull a quote from IMDB... (hmm… a lot of these are either not swearing or only swearing when applicable…) Here’s one. Now replace every pointless swear with “ah, uh, um, hm” that they’re covering up and you see what the dialog sounds like to me while watching the show:

[um], man. Ay… y’all ask me y’all ugly [uh] niggas shouldn’t be in here [uh] around with all these guns and shit…

“but that’s realistic” some say. Which the reply is: narrative dialog shouldn’t be realistic. Why? “Because there are a lot of eccentricities when people talk. Such eccentricities are acceptable when we’re talking with other people – when we’re “inside” the field of dialog. They are not acceptable when we are “outside” the field. And if anyone wants to argue that, I’ll bet you’ve never been flying and noticed how annoying it gets overhearing people on a plane (does this also prove some of the behaviors of forums? of people mixing up inside & outside dialog? perhaps). In the same way, dialog in a narrative needs to be adapted to make allowances that everyone (the viewers) will be participating outside, not inside the discussion. The dialog in the Wire being “realistic” (I’m getting to that eventually) is just filler and the show could either be 30 minutes if it was trimmed or could spend an extra half hour on other narrative/character points.

2. It’s pretending to be “real” too hard. – This is… harder to explain. Suffice to say, I’m not a big fan of “realistic” shows (there’s a reason I rarely watch TV). If I want “realism” I will watch a documentary, or COPS, or I’ll stand at the window or walk around outside. If I’m going to invest time and effort in something, it better be for something I can’t get elsewhere for less or more fulfilling time. Yeah this show might show me an appreciation of Baltimore, Maryland but so far all I can tell is that I have no desire to visit or watch anything about it. But there’s a larger issue at work with “realism”. A big part would be Screwtape’s 30th letter (those who have a copy of the Screwtape Letters – I advise reading the whole thing). Relevant quote:

The general rule which we have now pretty well established among them is that in all experiences which can make them happier or better only the physical facts are “real,” while the spiritual elements are “subjective”; in all experiences which can discourage or corrupt them the spiritual elements are the main reality and to ignore them is to be an escapist. ...The hatefulness of a hated person is “real” – in hatred you see men as they are, you are disillusioned; but the loveliness of a loved person is merely a subjective haze concealing a “real” core of sexual appetite or economic association.

Two and a half episodes in and I see no reason to bother associating with any of these characters. All flaws… not a plus to be found (except in two scenes: the homeless guy filling them in in the basement and the “crook” teaching others to play chess). When the 3 idiots go agitating in the neighborhood, I was a little disappointed they all lived. But all that is really is a part of my biggest objection…

3. Nihilism. Let’s return to the “realism” (which is always the first compliment I hear from people about this show). I couldn’t help but think of this CS Lewis passage when I realized that the world of the Wire apparently has no HR (and the bit of research I did couldn’t find anything stating otherwise). What’s the deal with this? Because I couldn’t make it through the first few episodes without screaming at the TV “Where is HR?” A boss swears at you? Flips you off? Wrecks a desk? (and that’s just 1 character) Within 2 hours I saw enough instances to put any normal HR department so far up that guy’s ass he would never be seen again. Which all this with the “main character” proves one of two things: either the main character doesn’t have enough initiative to take even basic steps to resolve his situation (in which case, I care even less about watching him), or we live in a world where HR doesn’t exist. Most of my research seems to suggest the later. Which means… well like I pointed out once before – at some point the story becomes not protagonist(s) against whatever, but the protagonist(s) against god (the author in this case). Then there’s no reason for the audience to invest, because we know there’s no way for the protagonist(s) to win unless the writer lets them, and the writer just signaled that they aren’t going to let them. That’s nihilistic. And from everything I’ve read, it seems that it makes no difference whether I go through all 5 seasons, or just mentally imagine a meteor crashing into the basement when all the main cast (or most of them) were gathered together.

It all is very clearly just a snuff show on an emotional and spiritual level (instead of the more obvious physical level). And I have no use nor desire for “gorn” of any kind. If I want that, I’ll just stop medication for a few days.

By all means, if anyone wants to enjoy the show – watch your heart out. I don’t care or need to.

(and for those wondering, yes I also happen to hate quinten tarantino for much of the above reasons)

Dude, just watch till the end of season 1 and you’ll see what we mean.

1. The language

You watched two and a half episodes. You’ve barely met any of the characters, yet you think you have a sense of how the show’s dialogue works based on that and a few IMDB quotes? And your complaint is, ultimately, that the dialogue doesn’t ring false enough? That’s silly. The dialogue, “filler” words and all, is based strictly on character voice. Or do you want they should all talk in Whedonesque quips, apropos of nothing?

(Besides the fact that you have no idea about the context of the quote you pulled off IMDB, since it’s in Season 3, and you’ve never heard it spoken, so you don’t know how good or not good it sounds. For the record, it’s really funny.)

2. It’s pretending to be “real” too hard. – This is… harder to explain. Suffice to say, I’m not a big fan of “realistic” shows (there’s a reason I rarely watch TV). If I want “realism” I will watch a documentary, or COPS, or I’ll stand at the window or walk around outside. If I’m going to invest time and effort in something, it better be for something I can’t get elsewhere for less or more fulfilling time. Yeah this show might show me an appreciation of Baltimore, Maryland but so far all I can tell is that I have no desire to visit or watch anything about it.

Yeah, it would be so much better if they gave them lasers instead of guns and the dealers sold space-heroin instead of regular heroin. No, I’d be willing to bet that the streets of Baltimore are exactly as fictional to most Wire watchers as Middle Earth is.

Two and a half episodes in and I see no reason to bother associating with any of these characters. All flaws… not a plus to be found (except in two scenes: the homeless guy filling them in in the basement and the “crook” teaching others to play chess). When the 3 idiots go agitating in the neighborhood, I was a little disappointed they all lived. But all that is really is a part of my biggest objection…

Good thing the series ends after 2 and a half episode then, and you don’t find out anything further about these characters whose names you don’t even remember, and nobody ever develops or anything.

3. Nihilism. Let’s return to the “realism” (which is always the first compliment I hear from people about this show). I couldn’t help but think of this CS Lewis passage when I realized that the world of the Wire apparently has no HR (and the bit of research I did couldn’t find anything stating otherwise). What’s the deal with this? Because I couldn’t make it through the first few episodes without screaming at the TV “Where is HR?” A boss swears at you? Flips you off? Wrecks a desk? (and that’s just 1 character) Within 2 hours I saw enough instances to put any normal HR department so far up that guy’s ass he would never be seen again. Which all this with the “main character” proves one of two things: either the main character doesn’t have enough initiative to take even basic steps to resolve his situation (in which case, I care even less about watching him), or we live in a world where HR doesn’t exist. Most of my research seems to suggest the later. Which means… well like I pointed out once before – at some point the story becomes not protagonist(s) against whatever, but the protagonist(s) against god (the author in this case). Then there’s no reason for the audience to invest, because we know there’s no way for the protagonist(s) to win unless the writer lets them, and the writer just signaled that they aren’t going to let them. That’s nihilistic. And from everything I’ve read, it seems that it makes no difference whether I go through all 5 seasons, or just mentally imagine a meteor crashing into the basement when all the main cast (or most of them) were gathered together.

First of all, the show doesn’t really follow a strict protagonist-antagonist dynamic, they’re all just characters with complex motivations who come into conflict. As for the complaints about Rawls’s mistreatment of McNulty, the police department doesn’t have an HR department. They just have IID, who isn’t about to care about a major being mean to a detective. If you’d actually watched more episodes, you’d see how this fits into the larger picture of BPD’s dysfunction. This isn’t guys making shit up. David Simon was a crime beat reporter who worked heavily with the BPD, and Ed Burns was a Baltimore murder police. This is the culture.

And saying “at some point the story such-and-such” is meaningless, when you’ve watched ~4% of a extremely protracted longform narrative. You’re just reading stuff off IMDB and Wikipedia and blowing smoke to make it sound like you’ve got some kind of informed criticism here.

It all is very clearly just a snuff show on an emotional and spiritual level (instead of the more obvious physical level). And I have no use nor desire for “gorn” of any kind. If I want that, I’ll just stop medication for a few days.

Nate, I’m going to try and be as respectful as possible here, but this statement is totally clueless and makes you sound ridiculous to anybody who’s watched the show. The show has as much honest sentiment and emotion than any show I’ve ever watched, but here’s the thing, it’s honest. It’s not kiddypool TV that just wants to give you a pat on the head and an easy resolution. The emotion is all earned, and to earn it, it actually requires a story being told rather than a sequence of events happening.

But again, you have no idea since you’ve watched 4% of it and made a strawman for the remaining 96%,

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011

Guys, guys. Can’t we all just accept that there is no objective measure of art, because everything one perceives is done so through a screen of our own subjective experiences, biases, and philosophies? It’s perfectly possible for someone to not like a genuinely good piece of artwork (regardless in what medium it appears) without reducing the subjective experience of someone who enjoys it.

Yes, the best critics and criticisms will make reference to justifications of like or dislike, but any justification will only ever be subjective. If there was an objective measure of art, we wouldn’t have any. We would have one piece for each medium that fulfils the objective criteria of What Is Art/What Is Music/What Is Story etc., and anything else would be extraneous at best. Science is different, because What Is Science requires, by its nature, to be objective and free of personal bias. Anything that falls outside of What Is Science (i.e. scientific/forensic method) is not Science and cannot claim to be such. But because Art is, by nature, a subjective interpretation of the world, there is not criteria for What Is Art because everybody’s criteria is different.

In other words, guys, chill. Some people like The Wire, some people don’t. Doesn’t mean it has to be justified as objectively Good or Bad. Some people find it good, others find it bad. And that’s okay.

Some people find it good, others find it bad.

Here’s where you’re missing the point, Taku. Nate hasn’t found The Wire anything. He just put his toe in the water and thinks he knows how deep the pool is now. It’s silly.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011 edited

Although not advisable, it’s his right as a consumer to judge a book by its cover (or a television show by its pilot) and decide from there whether he wants to continue watching it. Granted, I find it a bit silly that he’s arguing about the nihilism and culture of the entire story based on the first two episodes, (sorry, Nate!), but it’s his right to say he doesn’t want to watch any more of it.

My words were as much to Nate as to sansafro. You really don’t need to justify not wanting to watch The Wire. From what I’m reading,you seem to feel like you’re backed into a corner, from which you are being forced to justify yourself. You don’t. It’s enough to say “I have watched the first episode, and based on the premise I have decided I do not wish to watch the rest of the series” without trying to find some inherent flaw in the series (which, realistically, you don’t actually know anything about) to justify your opinion. And sansafro, it’s enough to say “I disagree with you, but respect your right to not watch this series” than to get into an argument about how Nate’s subjective experience is wrong, or that your subjective experience is more valid than his.

Basically my point is that it would be swell if we could all respect each other’s opinions, and agree that subjective experiences may differ between individuals but that’s okay!

... Please?

And sansafro, it’s enough to say “I disagree with you, but respect your right to not watch this series”

I do recall saying:

If you don’t want to, then don’t do it

an argument about how Nate’s subjective experience is wrong, or that your subjective experience is more valid than his.

I’m not arguing that his subjective experience is wrong, only that it’s hilariously insufficient to make a credible judgment in any direction.

You watched two and a half episodes. You’ve barely met any of the characters, yet you think you have a sense of how the show’s dialogue works based on that and a few IMDB quotes? And your complaint is, ultimately, that the dialogue doesn’t ring false enough? That’s silly. The dialogue, “filler” words and all, is based strictly on character voice. Or do you want they should all talk in Whedonesque quips, apropos of nothing?

They don’t even need Whedonesque quips. I just explained that it was all grating to my ears. I don’t care if someone is quoting Shakespeare, if they’re doing so in the most grating tone I’m not going to want to listen to it. And I just pulled a quote off IMDB because I had already sent the disc back and couldn’t transcribe a scene or two that is particularly grating.

(Besides the fact that you have no idea about the context of the quote you pulled off IMDB, since it’s in Season 3, and you’ve never heard it spoken, so you don’t know how good or not good it sounds. For the record, it’s really funny.)

The context is pointless – it was just the only quote I could find that could best be adapted for my point.

Yeah, it would be so much better if they gave them lasers instead of guns and the dealers sold space-heroin instead of regular heroin.

Might be an improvement.

No, I’d be willing to bet that the streets of Baltimore are exactly as fictional to most Wire watchers as Middle Earth is.

Good for them. I believe I was talking about my personal tastes and for me – Baltimore isn’t “that” fictional. You’re confusing my objective vs subjective points. Wait, my entire post was about my subjective views so…

First of all, the show doesn’t really follow a strict protagonist-antagonist dynamic, they’re all just characters with complex motivations who come into conflict. As for the complaints about Rawls’s mistreatment of McNulty, the police department doesn’t have an HR department. They just have IID, who isn’t about to care about a major being mean to a detective.

Which again, just means it’s unrealistic, because the city of Baltimore has an HR department and I’m pretty sure it’s been around for awhile. And the point is that the HR department doesn’t actively search for issues, the employees have to bring them to it. Which loops back around to my original point.

If you’d actually watched more episodes, you’d see how this fits into the larger picture of BPD’s dysfunction. This isn’t guys making shit up. David Simon was a crime beat reporter who worked heavily with the BPD, and Ed Burns was a Baltimore murder police. This is the culture.

Apparently it is “making shit up” because in less than a minute I found the actual HR site. And who cares if it’s the culture if I don’t care to watch anything about said culture? To use hyperbole: rape and cannibalism might be a part of some distant foreign culture or racism and cruelty might be part of some backward redneck culture – but I don’t care to watch or experience anything about them either. If – for some reason – I ever decide to care about Baltimore’s culture, I’ll be sure to go to the Wire for immersion.

And saying “at some point the story such-and-such” is meaningless, when you’ve watched ~4% of a extremely protracted longform narrative. You’re just reading stuff off IMDB and Wikipedia and blowing smoke to make it sound like you’ve got some kind of informed criticism here.

I explained that I did further research just to see if there was something that was going to change my mind. Like this bit from tropes:
    Downer Ending: With the show’s brutal honesty and David Simon’s unwillingness to just give the audience what they want, most of the stories in The Wire are an example of this trope with a few, very rare and very happy exceptions.
    Yes I also know it also had “it gets better” but everything I read enforced this general view that it’s pretty nihilistic. It may still be a great work of art, but I still don’t care for it.

Nate, I’m going to try and be as respectful as possible here, but this statement is totally clueless and makes you sound ridiculous to anybody who’s watched the show. The show has as much honest sentiment and emotion than any show I’ve ever watched, but here’s the thing, it’s honest. It’s not kiddypool TV that just wants to give you a pat on the head and an easy resolution. The emotion is all earned, and to earn it, it actually requires a story being told rather than a sequence of events happening.

I see someone hasn’t read Screwtape’s letter because all you did was say what I said while declaring that you were disagreeing with me.

But again, you have no idea since you’ve watched 4% of it and made a strawman for the remaining 96%,

That’s rather like telling a kid who has eaten 1 piece of broccoli (and hated it), “You’re making a strawman out of your sense of taste.”
    It may very well be objectively good (from everything I’ve read, that seems true). A lot of musicals may be objectively good art as well. And you know what? I don’t like them either.

“I have watched the first episode, and based on the premise I have decided I do not wish to watch the rest of the series”

I quite agree and left it at that for awhile. But since everyone kept praising it, I decided to look further (TV tropes to start, lots of blogs after that, even reviews and articles – you know how much about it is on NRO? They loved it). Nothing in the praise convinced me to change my mind.

I’m not arguing that his subjective experience is wrong, only that it’s hilariously insufficient to make a credible judgment in any direction.

That’s rather funny. Let’s see here….

Ah, here’s sansa from the Twilight thread:

Believe it or not, I wasn’t just pandering to the chicks. I just don’t find panty shots appealing, and knowing what I know about Japanese predilections, my reactions to them range from exasperated annoyance to outright revulsion. If that’s your bag, I’m not gonna judge, but I just don’t care for them.

Well Sansa, have you seen 100% of all of Japan’s panty shots? It’s enough that it really seems like your criticism here is horribly insufficient to make a credible judgement in any direction. Hmmm… how much criticism can we now throw out under this standard?

Still, maybe we should put in the FAQ that not finding the Wire to your personal taste is a bannable offense on this board.

Nate, just grit your teeth and watch the rest of the 1st season before you make a point. Is it really that hard?

Nate, just grit your teeth and watch the rest of the 1st season before you make a point. Is it really that hard?

...Yeah, that’s been the message of the overlong posts.

I went back to see where this argument started and have concluded that if only Nate’s parents enjoyed hospital shows, this whole thing could have been avoided.

Neurotic Platypus…

You are too cool.

They don’t even need Whedonesque quips. I just explained that it was all grating to my ears. I don’t care if someone is quoting Shakespeare, if they’re doing so in the most grating tone I’m not going to want to listen to it. And I just pulled a quote off IMDB because I had already sent the disc back and couldn’t transcribe a scene or two that is particularly grating.

The context is pointless – it was just the only quote I could find that could best be adapted for my point.

I just think it’s interesting that you first dismiss the writing based on delivery, and then as an example, you trot out a line you’ve never even heard spoken.

Might be an improvement.

No, it would be pointless. That’s all window dressing. Great stories are great stories, and everything else is just window dressing. This is the same sort of attitude that keeps sci-fi and fantasy in the fiction ghetto.

Which again, just means it’s unrealistic, because the city of Baltimore has an HR department and I’m pretty sure it’s been around for awhile. And the point is that the HR department doesn’t actively search for issues, the employees have to bring them to it. Which loops back around to my original point.

And I’m sure they’d get right on it, because the city government puts all its resources into the HR department, which is why the police and the schools are so underfunded, and those city HR people have plenty of time to take he-said he-said complaints from a detective against a major in the BPD who’s probably on familiar terms with whoever runs HR.

This is just an uninformed complaint in general, I’m sorry. Nobody is going to get up in a major’s shit over something as trivial as being mean in a macho culture and risk retaliation. It’d make sense if you’d seen more of the show.

Apparently it is “making shit up” because in less than a minute I found the actual HR site. And who cares if it’s the culture if I don’t care to watch anything about said culture? To use hyperbole: rape and cannibalism might be a part of some distant foreign culture or racism and cruelty might be part of some backward redneck culture – but I don’t care to watch or experience anything about them either. If – for some reason – I ever decide to care about Baltimore’s culture, I’ll be sure to go to the Wire for immersion.

Because it’s a bigger story than just “stuff happens in Baltimore.” It’s about a sweeping and disparate group of characters struggling to survive in a broken system. It’s about humanity.

I explained that I did further research just to see if there was something that was going to change my mind. Like this bit from tropes:
    Downer Ending: With the show’s brutal honesty and David Simon’s unwillingness to just give the audience what they want, most of the stories in The Wire are an example of this trope with a few, very rare and very happy exceptions.

Calling the way most of the plots end “downers” is both silly and reductive in the extreme.

Yes I also know it also had “it gets better” but everything I read enforced this general view that it’s pretty nihilistic. It may still be a great work of art, but I still don’t care for it.

You keep using the word “nihilistic,” but I don’t think that word means what you think that means. It’s not morally nihilistic in any sense, not even close. The show’s morality permeates every part of the show. It’s dark, no doubt, but the show’s got a lot of heart. It cares about its characters and their fates. Just because some of the plots have tragic ends doesn’t mean it’s nihilistic, unless you think tragedy is by necessity nihilistic.

It’s just dark.

I see someone hasn’t read Screwtape’s letter because all you did was say what I said while declaring that you were disagreeing with me.

No. You’re either disagreeing with your own quote, or ascribing phantom elements to the show based on “research.”

That’s rather like telling a kid who has eaten 1 piece of broccoli (and hated it), “You’re making a strawman out of your sense of taste.”
    It may very well be objectively good (from everything I’ve read, that seems true). A lot of musicals may be objectively good art as well. And you know what? I don’t like them either.

Again, as I’ve been saying repeatedly: If you don’t want to watch the show, don’t watch the show. You’re only depriving yourself, and it’s your right to deprive yourself. But you sound ridiculous when you try and offer up uninformed opinions about the show’s shortcomings(which do exist, but you have no idea what they are).

It’s like complaining about The Hobbit when you’ve read the first chapter and decided it was clearly flawed because Bilbo is such a nebbishy wimp, and then telling readers of the book about how Bilbo’s pansiness ruined your enjoyment of the book.

I quite agree and left it at that for awhile. But since everyone kept praising it, I decided to look further (TV tropes to start, lots of blogs after that, even reviews and articles – you know how much about it is on NRO? They loved it). Nothing in the praise convinced me to change my mind.

You know what all those people have in common?

They actually watched the show.

That’s rather funny. Let’s see here….

Ah, here’s sansa from the Twilight thread:

Well Sansa, have you seen 100% of all of Japan’s panty shots? It’s enough that it really seems like your criticism here is horribly insufficient to make a credible judgement in any direction. Hmmm… how much criticism can we now throw out under this standard?

Jeez, how long did it take you to dig that quote up, I wonder?

Regardless, this is a horrible analogy. If you can’t tell the difference between something intended to give cheap voyeuristic thrills to middle-aged Japanese creeps, and bad stuff that happens because a story has actual stakes.

Maybe you’d have a ghost of a point here if I hadn’t spent years watching anime, interacting with anime fans, learning about Japanese culture and its tendency to grossly oversexualize underage girls, and that sort of shit.

Still, maybe we should put in the FAQ that not finding the Wire to your personal taste is a bannable offense on this board.

That kind of melodrama doesn’t really serve anybody here. This has never been about taste. It’s been about you claiming you know something you don’t know, me saying you don’t know it in an uroboros of pointlessness. Should I have let you go on hating the imaginary show you’ve constructed in place of The Wire? Probably.

I went back to see where this argument started and have concluded that if only Nate’s parents enjoyed hospital shows, this whole thing could have been avoided.

XD

Yes, I will now call them up and say that they ruined my weekend.

I just think it’s interesting that you first dismiss the writing based on delivery, and then as an example, you trot out a line you’ve never even heard spoken.

/headdesk. I didn’t dismiss the writing, I said it grated on my ears and tried to explain why.

No, it would be pointless. That’s all window dressing. Great stories are great stories, and everything else is just window dressing. This is the same sort of attitude that keeps sci-fi and fantasy in the fiction ghetto.

Still doesn’t address my personal distaste.

And I’m sure they’d get right on it, because the city government puts all its resources into the HR department, which is why the police and the schools are so underfunded, and those city HR people have plenty of time to take he-said he-said complaints from a detective against a major in the BPD who’s probably on familiar terms with whoever runs HR.

So you’ve never been a real job and had to deal with an HR department haven’t you. Congrats, the above statement comes off as uninformed as everything you claim my statements were.

This is just an uninformed complaint in general, I’m sorry. Nobody is going to get up in a major’s shit over something as trivial as being mean in a macho culture and risk retaliation. It’d make sense if you’d seen more of the show.

Which goes back to my original point, these trials in the show are largely self-inflicted. Again, not appetizing to me to watch.

Because it’s a bigger story than just “stuff happens in Baltimore.” It’s about a sweeping and disparate group of characters struggling to survive in a broken system. It’s about humanity.

Awesome! I still don’t want or care to watch that.

Calling the way most of the plots end “downers” is both silly and reductive in the extreme.

Obviously since that’s how summations work. You still haven’t disproved my complaint that the show is nihilistic (even if not totally, at least majorly). Ah here we go…

You keep using the word “nihilistic,” but I don’t think that word means what you think that means. It’s not morally nihilistic in any sense, not even close. The show’s morality permeates every part of the show. It’s dark, no doubt, but the show’s got a lot of heart. It cares about its characters and their fates. Just because some of the plots have tragic ends doesn’t mean it’s nihilistic, unless you think tragedy is by necessity nihilistic.
    It’s just dark.

Then I don’t want or care to watch a dark show.

No. You’re either disagreeing with your own quote, or ascribing phantom elements to the show based on “research.”

Ok, how many instances of the show go against the quote?

Again, as I’ve been saying repeatedly: If you don’t want to watch the show, don’t watch the show. You’re only depriving yourself, and it’s your right to deprive yourself. But you sound ridiculous when you try and offer up uninformed opinions about the show’s shortcomings(which do exist, but you have no idea what they are).

If you were ok with me not watching the show, why then did you continue to press me for my reasons of not liking it?

It’s like complaining about The Hobbit when you’ve read the first chapter and decided it was clearly flawed because Bilbo is such a nebbishy wimp, and then telling readers of the book about how Bilbo’s pansiness ruined your enjoyment of the book.

You’re confusing objectively flawed and subjectively flawed. And for some people, that would be a legitimate complaint if they find it bad enough to be unable to last through the book for when Bilbo grows out of his pansiness.

You know what all those people have in common?
    They actually watched the show.

Yeah, which is why I trusted their words about it. That’s kind of what research is.

Jeez, how long did it take you to dig that quote up, I wonder?
    Regardless, this is a horrible analogy. If you can’t tell the difference between something intended to give cheap voyeuristic thrills to middle-aged Japanese creeps, and bad stuff that happens because a story has actual stakes.

Yes it’s called extreme hyperbole to make a point.

Maybe you’d have a ghost of a point here if I hadn’t spent years watching anime, interacting with anime fans, learning about Japanese culture and its tendency to grossly oversexualize underage girls, and that sort of shit.

No, that reinforces the point, because after all that time, have you seen 100% of the item? Unlikely. At some point it’s just going to be beyond the ability of humans to invest the amount of time required to familiarize themselves with 100% of anything they’re making a judgement on.

Again, let’s see here… 60 total episodes of the show. At close to 1 hour each… that’s almost 2 work weeks if I watched it like a full time job. If I make it through all of that, and still find it not to my taste, are you going to refund me those two weeks?

That kind of melodrama doesn’t really serve anybody here. This has never been about taste. It’s been about you claiming you know something you don’t know, me saying you don’t know it in an uroboros of pointlessness. Should I have let you go on hating the imaginary show you’ve constructed in place of The Wire? Probably.

Yeah… what was one of my first posts on it? (actually 3rd)

By all means, if anyone likes it – more power to them and enjoy it to their hearts content (as a scifi/fantasy geek, I’m no stranger to liking things nobody else does). I got through 2 1/2 episodes and it….. is not for me. (though I can give more details if asked)

And I left it at that but you just wouldn’t leave it alone. So… yeah, way to enforce the melodrama. Either that or you fail at reading comprehension. I went with the more charitable option that you couldn’t bear someone not enjoying your new religion.

I’m not a mod, but I’m going to ask you guys very nicely to break it up. A civil discussion is fine, but this is rapidly turning uncivil. Play nice or let it go.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

Rather. At first it was somewhat interesting.

Good plan. Done.

Is that necessary? It just perpetuates this entire stupid argument.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

Ahahah. I like to think of it as more light-hearted and a Jolly Good In-Joke. ;D We all need to laugh now.