Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010

Wow, my previous post was definitely talking about Futurama. :/

@ Marquis: I don’t know, I haven’t watched it yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I just saw a trailer for Merlin series 3, but now I can’t find it on Youtube.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010 edited

I think the Merlin lj group has a link to it.

Edit: trailer one and trailer two

Colin appears to have had a haircut. D8

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Futurama marathon in half an hour!

Started a show called Misfits. First 10 minutes have been interesting enough.

What’s it about?

A group of kids forced into community service suddenly get superpowers.

Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010

Finished season one of Veronica Mars and the first episode of season two. My life is a sad.

You’ll never guess the killer in S2 in a million years.

S1 is the best one, though. Veronica is mai waifu.

Finished Misfits, and it is confirmed for GOD TIER.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010

I found out about The Cape today. A superhero series with Keith David and Summer Glau! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It looks really cheesy, though… let’s hope it’s better than expected.

No Ordinary Family, now, I saw the pilot of that and it was a lot better than I expected. Pilots aren’t always the same as the actual series, though, so I’m still reserving judgment.

A Being Human promo came on, and my dad said, “I thought you weren’t into the whole vampire craze, and yet you’re watching that show.” I tried to explain to him that I’m not into Twilight, and that Being Human is not just about vampires, and it’s not the same thing. He said, “Oh, they’re all the same thing.” Sigh.

I just finished season 2 of Mad Men (finally). It’s not on The Wire’s level, but it’s still a very good show.

Anyone watch Leverage? It seems like kind of my thing of what I’ve seen.

Got the first season of The Wire and I’m looking forward to watching it. :)

Do I have to be American to really get and appreciate The Wire? I’ve been wanting to watch it. I just finished all of Breaking Bad and that is an awesome show.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010 edited

Got the first season of The Wire and I’m looking forward to watching it. :)

YES.

Do I have to be American to really get and appreciate The Wire?

You should probably be fine, since I know there are quite a few British fans of it(although a number of the principal actors are Brits playing American). A lot of the vernacular will probably go over your head for awhile, but lots of it goes over the head of Americans who aren’t Baltimore police either. I picked up the vast majority of it by the end of Season 1, but it requires you to pay attention(which you have to do anyway if you want to really enjoy it).

Just don’t go in expecting Dexter, because you’re going to end up with Dickens.

I have two episodes left to go of the first season.

The whole sequence leading up to that was the first time I’ve ever really felt that sinking feeling of gut-level unease when watching a TV show. It’s just… shit, you know something ain’t right. You know.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I should start watching The Wire. I’m always looking for shows to get obsessed with, but I end up watching a few episodes and just not caring any more. Doctor Who and Avatar are literally the one shows I’ve ever been so obsessed about, I feel like my life is going to end if I don’t see the latest episode within 48 hours of its premiere.

And Firefly, too, although I only got into it after it came out, so there was none of that waiting around business.

Speaking of Dexter, I ordered the first 3 seasons on Blu-Ray to add to my already large backlog.

Also, I’m trying to balance out the cynicism from The Wire by watching Flight of the Conchords. So far, the show feels like if Tim & Eric were actually funny.

So far, the show feels like if Tim & Eric were actually funny.

Brace yourself, though, because Season 1’s worst is still to come ._.

Starting the second season. Didn’t like any of the new characters, and I don’t really see any of them growing on me. I miss the Pit.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010 edited

Yeah, it’s the weakest. It’s still got some great content, but the docks are just a less interesting setting than the street to most people. Well, that and Ziggy is incredibly obnoxious(although, since this is The Wire, they do end up doing some interesting things with his character… but he still stays grating). You’ve just gotta soldier through those parts, because the remaining seasons are even better than the first.

Nick and Spiros both grew on me, though. Plus Prop Joe gets more screentime, and he’s gold.

Oh yeah, and Omar in court almost redeems S2’s flaws singlehandedly.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Some new Game of Thrones trailers! A ‘making of’ featurette and another short teaser, to be precise.

No, Swenson, Marcellus Wallace is a movie character.

Also those GoT snippets are encouraging.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh, darn. And I was all ready to do my Pulp Fiction character impressions.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Watched the first ep. of Pillars of the Earth on NetFlix. As near as I can tell, it’s what Song of Ice and Fire would be if it were set in 12th century England.

School has taken over my Doctor Who rerun-watching time so that I can’t get caught up. I want to get to the creepy ones. Grrr.

I’m watching an episode of TNG with a young Dr. Kelso in it. It’s weird to watch him.

Also went through episodes 3 and 4 of season 2 of The Wire. I want The Greek to get it over with and kill Ziggy.

That season would be so much easier to watch if somebody did in Ziggy, whether it was The Greek, Cheese, Clay Davis, Fuzzy Dunlop, anybody.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited

Dr. Kelso is Ken Jenkins. I would be interested to see him in TNG or anything else. I love Scrubs so much its one of the few TV shows I’ve memorized the main actors’ names.

And yeah ok sansafro I guess I will give The Wire a try soon. I should be able to get it enough.

Excellent, I hope you enjoy it.

On a somewhat related note, Mad Men is awesome and all y’all should watch it. It doesn’t approach The Wire-level greatness, but it gets better every season and the first ep of the current season was a home run. I’m so close to catching up :3

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010

Just finished season 2 of Veronica Mars.

I told you that you’d never guess it.

S3 is definitely inferior to the first two, I’m afraid. Mostly because they force a new character in and I found him to be unbearable. Also it’s got two half-size throughplots instead of one overarching throughplot.

I mean, it’s still worth watching because Veronica, but don’t get your hopes up.

Mad Men‘s been on my list for a while, but I can’t really devote myself to much TV anymore.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Same here, on both points. I’ve got Dexter, Arrested Development, The Wire, Veronica Mars, How I Met Your Mother, and that all on my list. I don’t have time for this sort of thing. >.< Maybe I’ll drop The Office this year and use that time to watch those shows instead. I hate loading myself down with TV.

I’d drop The Office if it wasn’t already smack in the middle of a block of TV I watch anyway. It’s still got some funny individual jokes, but overall it’s been spinning its wheels for a long time now. Add in Steve Carrell’s impending departure… yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Exactly. I still cling to it out of fondness, but 4th season was the last solid season. (Although still not as awesome as 2nd and 3rd).

The shows on my to-watch list are Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Wire, Mad Men, and a guilty pleasure, Merlin. Of course, I haven’t finished the first season of two and haven’t even started on the others. Dedicated TV watching just isn’t working anymore.

They should kill The Office after Steve Carrell leaves.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010

Alan Tudyk is voicing Green Arrow in the new Young Justice series! Why did I not know this earlier?!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Just started S3 of DW and the acting is kinda ehhhh…

DW

I’m blanking on what DW stands for…?

Arthur’s little sister?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Doctor Who.

I should have figured that out.

I actually got to watch one today. I have like ten stockpiled on my DVR, and…

Doctor Who.

Duh. I feel sheepish.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Just started S3 of DW and the acting is kinda ehhhh…

And brace yourself when it comes to the finale. You might need a helmet just in case you headdesk too much.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited

I think my main problem with DW is that I really don’t like any of the characters, to be honest. David Tennant it great, but I can’t really connect with him. I’m not burning through DW like I would some other TV shows.

You might like 11 and Amy by the time you get to Series 5 though.

I think my main problem with DW is that I really don’t like any of the characters

I know. It’s weird that the show is quite interesting, but the characters annoy me. The Doctor is more impersonal than annoying, but Rose infuriates me. She’s a whiny, little bitch, and I hate her. She was so bitchy that I actually started to develop sympathy for her mother, whom I also find extremely irritating. I’m hoping I will like the next companion better… though if it’s wedding dress lady, she didn’t look too promising.

You might like 11 and Amy by the time you get to Series 5 though.

I’ve heard good things about Amy, and by heard, I mean read YouTube comments.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited

I loved Donna (wedding dress lady). She was obnoxious, but she knew it full well. She was a great companion to contrast with the Tenth Doctor. I really liked Amy Pond with the Eleventh Doctor too, but Rory stole the show for me <3

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Saw the first four episodes of Mad Men. It’s pretty good.

I loved Donna (wedding dress lady).

Maybe she’ll be alright then. Though, she doesn’t seem to be on very long. Because most of the episodes I have DVRed after Rose leaves say “the Doctor and Martha.”

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010

Donna is the companion for one Christmas special, then it’s Martha Jones for the whole of season 3. Donna comes back as the Doctor’s companion in season 4. It makes sense when you watch it. I thought the way that Donna was thrown back into the plot was hilarious.

Donna comes back as the Doctor’s companion in season 4.

Awwwww… okay. It seemed weird to just have her randomly for no reason for a just a couple of episodes, but she comes back, so okay.

Saw the first four episodes of Mad Men. It’s pretty good.

Excellent. Like I said, it just keeps improving even though it would still be a really good show if it didn’t.

Still doesn’t approach The Wire, but nothing does.

Saw that new show from the guy who did Dexter’s Lab and Samurai Jack, Sym-Bionic Titan. It’s really retro, and definitely reminiscent of tons of 70s anime.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010 edited

Donna! Donna is awesome. I liked Martha too, but most of the season 3 episodes were… meh, compared to some other really great ones. (although it’s got one of my favorites!) The build-up to the finale is GREAT, by the way, it just doesn’t necessarily follow through. But YMMV. I didn’t hate it, at least.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010

I think I like Martha. :D

My first thought was “Darkwing Duck”.

Now at the halfway point for season 2

._.

I loved his little Gatsby speech, though.

Being Human season finale was good. It got a little weird toward the end, and it totally obliterated the little sympathy I had for Kemp.

• CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

My boyfriend and roommate were both mocking Firefly.

;_;

:P Poo to them.

Dexter will be starting back soon; however, I did not accomplish my goal of watching the first-third (and the beginning of the fourth) seasons. I only watched the first.

Clearly, you must disown them immediately.

• CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

Clearly, you must disown them immediately.

Yeah, I can’t- they’re otherwise lovely people :)

Anybody know which I should watch first? My So-Called Life or Freaks And Geeks?

I liked My So-Called Life. It’s on Hulu. I don’t know where to get Freaks and Geeks, but I want to see it. It was on TV the other day, but I didn’t have time to watch it.

Double post (apologies):
    House sucked today. I hate Huddy.

Done with season 2, other than what happened with the Sobotkas, kind of a letdown in comparison to last season’s finale.

And I find it weird how LOGO seems to play nothing but Buffy the Vampire Slayer and RuPaul’s Drag Race. And what’s weirder is that they’re the episodes before Willow came out of the closet, so the whole point of airing them is kind of moot. It’s like BBC America airing ST:TNG.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010 edited

Yeah, the end of S2 is just a downer in general. It’s the closest thing to a DEM that I can find in the whole show, since I never noticed any foreshadowing of that inside guy. He was just there, bailing out his side even though they’d lost.

Also, seasons 3 through 5 are much better than 2. The only part left I didn’t think was awesome is the newspaper subplot in season 5, which isn’t nearly as prominent in terms of screentime as the docks were.

Time to go back to the corner, B.

Hooray the new season of all the shows I wanna watch has finally started, kicking off with Chuck and How I Met Your Mother. Chuck was awesome of course. The spy world in the world of Chuck has always been a little silly and the storylines maybe not the best but the show still kicks so much ass because of its style and comedy.

To anyone who watched HIMYM:

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010

Season 3 is awesome so far. I’m 9 episodes in.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Castle is back. YES.

Season 3 is awesome so far.

Agreed.

I’ve never been able to decide between 3 and 4 as my favorite season. 3 has the Barksdale-Stanfield War, and tells arguably the most ambitious story in the series with Hamsterdam. 4 doesn’t feature the same police work progress as the previous seasons(4 and 5 are basically connected in that respect), but it’s got the strongest emotional core.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Chuck. The new season looks like it will be a good one…

@Marquis
    I’ve noticed both of those things, and I find it weird as well.

Starting up season 3. Fun to see the show go back to the Barksdales.

@ Marquis: Yeah, I’ve noticed. :)

Excellent. The best advice I can give you is try to pay attention to everybody(of course, that’s standard advice for the show anyway), since it’s easy to miss a lot of the buildup for the rising new power on the West Side because you’re so glad to be spending most of your time with Avon and friends again.

Also Slim Charles. I love that guy.

I watched about two minutes of Glee today before my dad changed the channel, and in those two minutes, I managed to hate every character I saw.

In other news, I can’t wait for Dexter to start back.

I watched about two minutes of Glee today before my dad changed the channel, and in those two minutes, I managed to hate every character I saw.

Pretty much my reaction too.

That was my experience in the episode of Glee my brother made me watch. Every character seemed like a broad stereotype and the gay kid was so offensive I immediately started thinking up hate crimes.

That said, I’m pretty sure I bitched about it many pages ago in this very thread.

I have never actually seen Glee. Everyone either loves it or hates it, from what I’ve noticed.

That said, I’m pretty sure I bitched about it many pages ago in this very thread.

I remember that. Everyone I saw was annoying in the extreme, and they all seemed really fake. It was almost like both the acting and the characters were supposed to be fake.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Glee sucks. I watch it simply because my friends do, and I am obligated to either watch Glee or Vampire Diaries, unless I just don’t want to talk for 2 of our weekly lunch hours.

Quitting it now though… I can’t take the terribly terrible characters, who get more twisted and vindictive and awful with every episode.

And on a lighter note, I found the inspiration for Harley Quinn. Never knew a soap opera would influence one of the most memorable Batman villains.

I can’t take the terribly terrible characters, who get more twisted and vindictive and awful with every episode.

I’m with you there, Dia.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010

3 has the Barksdale-Stanfield War, and tells arguably the most ambitious story in the series with Hamsterdam.

I’m a Sociology major (possibly focusing on Criminology and Deviance) so I find Hamsterdam really fascinating.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010

I feel like duct taping every Glee character’s mouth shut.

^^ Ditto.