Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

That type of thing doesn’t bother me. I only mentioned the language thing to you, Steph, because I remember something you said about picking up and book and not reading it because the f-word was in like the first few pages or something like that. I think that was you anyway.

Yeah, that was me. I can deal with it if it comes in a little later in the book, but sometimes if it comes up very very early in the book, it’s like, “Why am I going to want to read this?” It also just depends on how I’m feeling that day.

Yeah, although there are whores, rape, violence, language, incest, etc. in A Song of Ice and Fire, I didn’t lose any sleep over it like I did over some other books.

I, uhm… Is it just me or does that whole sentence strike anybody else as ah, forget it.

I, uhm… Is it just me or does that whole sentence strike anybody else as ah, forget it.

I don’t believe anyone actually likes that kind of behavior, but I think that most people are willing to overlook it if the book is worth it. It’s all part of life, realistically speaking, and even if it isn’t pretty, it adds another level of realism. That’s just what I’ve always thought, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010

Its not gratuitous, if that’s what you were thinking, or there just because. Its to invoke realism, and its well written.

Yeah, that was my point, more succinctly put.

A TV related question: To those who have seen season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is it appropriate for an 11 year old boy? My brother watched the first season and liked it, but I just wanted to make sure for season 2 before something comes up and we have to push him out of the room.

I think the key point with (most) of the vulgarity in either series is the intent is not to titillate(in the case of sex) or to be edgy or cool or whatever(in the case of swearing) or to provide power fantasies(in the case of violence). It’s all about the verisimilitude and the atmosphere of the setting.

If I had a kid, the reason I wouldn’t let them watch The Wire or read ASoIaF until I’d decided they were of age would not be because of the explicit content, but because I wouldn’t want them turning into angsty nihilists because of how Eddard Stark or Cedric Daniels are treated by their respective fictional worlds.

That said, I won’t call somebody who decides either work isn’t for them based on the grittier content a prude, although I do think they’re missing out.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010 edited

To those who have seen season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is it appropriate for an 11 year old boy? My brother watched the first season and liked it, but I just wanted to make sure for season 2 before something comes up and we have to push him out of the room.

Hmmmmm. It’s hard to say without being too spoilery. I mean, it’s a really awesome season. Uhm, I’d say not, to be on the safe side.

But you’re going to hate this season, especially the ending.

...excuse me, I think I might listen to the soundtrack and hide from the world again.

Edit: ARSE. I went the whole way and watched the last part of the last episode. Oh god, that’s it. It’s on my rewatch list.

;_;

Got bored and decided to see what last season of The Office was like. Got a couple laughs out of an episode, but it just didn’t have the edge that the second and third seasons had.

Also, I introduced a toddler to Invader ZIM.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010

Oh, SWQ, I’ve checked with my dissertation buddies, and they say that Buffy S2 is appropriate for an 11 year old. So go ahead! :D

I’m never sure what age appropriate levels are.

That’s probably because most people have vastly different opinions of what is age appropriate. It’s hard to guess other people’s standards of what is appropriate and what isn’t.

@SWQ
    I’ve never seen Buffy, but if you said some of the stuff your brother is allowed to watch, it might help other people judge whether it’s appropriate for him or not.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Weeell, S2 may have sex, death and torture — but it’s all tasteful, as in, it’s not gratuitous. My buddies reminded me that it used to be shown here at 6pm with no editing on BBC2.

I want to watch Firefly now, but I have to wait for my sister to finish her test. Sadface :(.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Got bored and decided to see what last season of The Office was like. Got a couple laughs out of an episode, but it just didn’t have the edge that the second and third seasons had.

I agree.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I second Puppet’s statement.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’ve never seen Buffy, but if you said some of the stuff your brother is allowed to watch, it might help other people judge whether it’s appropriate for him or not.

Actually, my brother gets away with a LOT. This is partly because he is the youngest child and my parents aren’t as stringent about appropriate TV as they used to be. (Not going to comment on whether this is fair to my sister and I.) Case in point: He loves South Park. He also likes NCIS, so I don’t think the violence will overly bother him. Sex is something we might have to fast-forward, but I bet a lot of it will go over his head, or we could just send him out of the room for five minutes. He gags every time there’s kissing, so maybe he’ll lose interest on his own.

On the Office: I’ve gotten kind of bored of it too.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010 edited

If I remember correctly, the sex in S2 of Buffy is mostly implied. The screen goes to black just after they start kissing, and it starts up again when they’re lying next to each other. The incident is referenced in the future, but in an abstract sort-of way.

And it’s only once.

But there’s some pretty twisted stuff later on in the season.

SPOILER

Actually, my brother gets away with a LOT. This is partly because he is the youngest child and my parents aren’t as stringent about appropriate TV as they used to be.

I think this tends to happen a lot.

@ Diamonte: If it’s fade-to-black, that’s all right.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Dia:

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Jeni:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

@Marq

Watched the first Buffy episode with Spike. I look forward to seeing more of him. >:D He has the funniest lines.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010

Just wait until

Spike

Love him. ^^

Just wait until

Must…resist…spoilers….

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010

Prison Break is making me really, really, really mad. Everything that could possibly go wrong is going wrong. D:

Even still, though. Kellerman is deliciously evil. So evil that all you can do is marvel.

I need to watch it again to make sure since I missed a lot of the opening jokes on account of my family being loud, but tonight’s episode of Futurama seemed really, really good.

Introduced The Guild to my cousin. He swallowed up the first three seasons in under a day. Not surprising, since he’s addicted to gaming.

Rewatched it, and the new Futurama ep is indeed confirmed for best-of-season so far.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited

Started watching The Wire.

Well, I can’t officially endorse you watching it because of your age, but I think you’ll enjoy it all the same, Puppet.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Professor? Leela. Amy? Bender.

That was probably one of the greatest Futurama episodes ever.

I don’t watch much Tv. But I’ve been watching Phineas and Ferb a lot.

Rewatched it, and the new Futurama ep is indeed confirmed for best-of-season so far.

Maybe I just dont know funny but I dunno about it being the best of this season so far… This season has been a bit of a disappointment to me. But to be fair my sense of humor is a bit weird in the sense that I dont laugh as much as a normal person, and I can’t remember how much I would have laughed during my first viewings of earlier seasons. Though I’ve found myself to laugh more at some things in old episodes after multiple viewings (Fry gets his hands cut off in the Lucy Lui bot episode and gets them repaired – “These new hands are great. I’m gonna break them in tonight.”)

I’ve noticed that this season they are trying super hard to pair up people we’ve rarely or never seen together before. Zoidburg and Cubert. Bender and Amy. Bender and Hermes. Amy and Nibbler. And it’s a good idea. And I’ve really liked some of the stories. The jokes still seem off though. I cant really put my finger on what is actually different. How its not as funny as it was before. With The Simpsons that’s an easy answer.

I don’t watch much Tv. But I’ve been watching Phineas and Ferb a lot.

YES! I love you. It is one of those surprisingly clever funny kids shows older people can enjoy. I think older people who get the jokes more would find it funnier than the little kids. It’s the new Spongebob only way better. And it’s better than Invader Zim or any other kids cartoons with a cult following.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Zoidburg and Cubert. Bender and Amy. Bender and Hermes. Amy and Nibbler.

Part of this is because of their limited budget, they can’t bring in too many guest stars. Considering it could have been much, much worse, they’re doing very well coming back.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well, I can’t officially endorse you watching it because of your age, but I think you’ll enjoy it all the same, Puppet.

Yes, yes, I know drugs are bad, irresponsible sex is bad, violence is bad, etc. I don’t think the show will have any significant impact on my decisions in life. And at the same time, I haven’t really started “watching” it. I just watched ep 9 today, the show doesn’t interest me all that much, to be honest.

But episode 9 features

Also, it’s the first appearance of Proposition Joe, who’s tremendously entertaining.

Wait, you started at episode 9, or you’ve watched up to episode 9?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited

I was watching with Lord Snow. He was on Season 1 Ep 9, so I just started there. One thing that struck me about the show is how realistic it felt. No music, no crazy chase scenes, no explosions and the acting was good enough that I could actually believe they were real people.

Yeah, that’s the kind of show it is. There are points where it would be “cooler” to break out of the realism for a moment and do something crazy with the plot, but they just refuse to do it.

The only times where it breaks from it are during some of Omar’s escapades, but he’s actually based on a real guy(who actually has a small role in seasons 4 and 5), and the most ridiculous thing Omar does was something that guy actually did.

There’s exactly one police who ever fires his gun, and every time he does, something bad happens.

I can see how jumping into the middle of the first season would be off-putting, though. It’s all about the characters, and a number of scenes don’t carry the weight unless you’ve seen what’s come before. Case in point, the scene in the spoiler tags is a wake-up punch for Daniels, given how lightly he’s been taking the case compared to McNulty.

One thing that struck me about the show is how realistic it felt. No music, no crazy chase scenes, no explosions and the acting was good enough that I could actually believe they were real people.

Okay, now I’m getting interested. Are there any random or fancy camera angles, or is the directing just solid?

There are a couple of impressive shots, but they generally keep it pretty grounded.

Well, I just ordered the complete series set of The Wire. Planning to watch it throughout first semester.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010 edited

You are my bro again, Marq.

Also, I need to start and finish Season 2 of Mad Men before school starts.

Secret Life of the American Teenager is the funniest show this season.

“You had sex and you got pregnant. I had sex and I killed my father.”

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010

“He had a horrible death and I had incredible sex.”

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010

Sly and I are very bad roll models. :P

Puppet only watched it because we wanted to.

Got bored and decided to buy and watch the third season of the Simpsons. Starting the episode where it’s Lisa’s birthday and Michael Jackson has to sing a song for her.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010

Watched all of The Guild. Not really a TV series, but oh well.

I love the guild. Especially after Fawkes was introduced. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010

I love the music videos. I could watch Game On all day!

Linkara inspired me to start watching Power Rangers: RPM. It was not what I expected – the premise (the characters defend a city from the forces of an evil sentient computer virus in a post-apocalyptic world) and story are quite different from previous series, and much darker at times, the writing is excellent, some common plot holes and nonsensical stylistic decisions (the whole “make my monster grow!” thing and random explosions every time the rangers morph) are lampshaded and occasionally act as plot points, and none of the characters are excessively annoying. Overall, much better than one would expect from contemporary children’s television.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010

Lie to Me.

Just started the second season. <3

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

Finished The WIre season 1, might try Deadwood now.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010 edited

Coded thoughts, LS?

I want to reiterate that Bodie Broadus is my favorite character, and you’ve witnessed him do something horrible. This should encourage you to watch future seasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I started watching Veronica Mars. It’s fun. ^^

I started watching Veronica Mars.

I love that show. The first season is easily the best one, though, so the follow-ups are a little disappointing. Still worth watching, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Latest Futurama was okay, when compared to Benda or the Late Phillip J. Fry. It was pretty obvious what the solution was from the get go. The sitcom-y bits were dull, but balanced out by the War of the Worlds bit and Comic-con.

Yeah, I thought it was decent enough, although not on par with last week’s. The teleporter ray at the end was really obvious, though, to the point I turned to my brother and said “That was obviously the teleporter ray” as soon as it happened.

Delivery-Boy-Man had me in stitches for some reason, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I was hoping the Matt Groening and David X. Cohen cameos wouldn’t be too horrible (and they weren’t) but the laser joke really made laugh.

Great I’ll have to catch up on Futurama tonight.

I think this latest season has been more up and down than ever before. When it’s good – it’s REALLY good but when it’s bad…

I wish they’d tone down the controversy episodes, especially when they start raping their own canon to make a point.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I love that show.

Well now that it has Sansafro’s Stamp of Approval, how will I ever put it down?

“I’m sick of being critiqued by nitpicking nerds.” -Favorite line ever!

Moaning Myrtle is in an episode of Dr. Who. And the I found out that the Doctor for most of the show was Barty Crouch, Junior.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010

We have quite a few prominent British actors that crop up in a lot of productions.

I just get excited when I recognize people. I do it with American stuff too.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010

I want to reiterate that Bodie Broadus is my favorite character, and you’ve witnessed him do something horrible. This should encourage you to watch future seasons.

Yeah, it’s very good. I actually decided to rent the second season instead of getting Deadwood. And yeah, what Bodie did certainly sparked an interest in him… So far I think either Bubs or Stringer are my favorites.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010 edited

Season 2 is probably the weakest, so hang in there. It’s still pretty great, but IMO the docks and union politics and such just aren’t quite as interesting as the corners, although there are some pretty good characters involved in that part of the story.

And Bodie was my most hated character at the end of S1, since it seemed like he spent the whole season being an overly aggressive dick to everybody, but having watched him over the course of the show(and then watched it again with my brother), there was a lot more going on beneath the surface than I previously realized. Most of the characterization is easy to miss the first time, like, say, Carver.

Carver’s just kinda there it seems in S1, being the black counterpart in his less-than-dynamic duo with Herc, just doing the manual errands and engaging in some petty corruption here and there. Really though, he’s a guy who wants to be good police, but he’s too image-conscious. He caves pretty easily to peer pressure even when he knows it’s not a good idea, and spends most of the time being a follower.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010

It’s so weird to see Felicia Day in a Lie to Me episode. I keep expecting her to act like Codex from The Guild.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010

Blackadder series 2-4 is some of the best television I have ever seen.

I hope they don’t screw up Boardwalk Empire. It’s got Michael Kenneth Williams in what sounds like a fairly important role. Fingers crossed it might snatch up a few more Wire alums just because they need to be on TV more. Sheeeeeeeeeeyit.

Also it has Steve Buscemi.

Watched the first episode of The Wire, and it’s all right so far. Bunk and Kima were the most interesting to watch. And I liked the subplot about the junkie getting busted for using counterfeit money to get drugs.

It’s probably a good sign if you’re at least somewhat interested. It really makes no effort whatsoever to grab the viewer or draw them in, it just gets to work setting things up and getting things moving. I was really unsure about it until around episode 4 or so, and then it clicked with me. Part of that was the fact that I went in expecting it to be like Dexter but it ended up being like Dickens.

Gotta agree that Bunk is entertaining as hell, though.

And I also decided to finally get into House. Currently, I’m watching the good doctor talk down to a nun.

Edit: Going through episode 2, and there’s something about that nuggets scene that’s just gripping. I mean, it’s just a bunch of kids talking to Dee about McDonalds food, but it somehow works.

House has its moments.

Anyone else watching “the Good Guys”? Even though it doesn’t seem to have been on the last couple of weeks?

Going through episode 2, and there’s something about that nuggets scene that’s just gripping. I mean, it’s just a bunch of kids talking to Dee about McDonalds food, but it somehow works.

Weird scenes that end up being more gripping than the subject matter should be are just part and parcel of The Wire. The most common favorite scene of Season 1 is one where D’Angelo explains chess to Wallace and Bodie. Why is it so affecting? It’s hard to say, but somehow it just clicks.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010

I hope they don’t screw up Boardwalk Empire.

Me too. Steve Buscemi is the man. A creepy, little man. But the man nonetheless.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I watched all there is to watch of Lie to Me, unfortunately.

Puppet, you not really a fan of Lie to Me? Could we actually have… something in common????

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Assuming that you are human, yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

That’s never a sure thing around here.

Yeah, I thought all of you knew better.

Episode 3 came and went with not much going on. The only stand-outs were the chess scene and Omar.

And seeing the cops beat on that guy for hitting one of their own was eerily reminiscent of the scene from the first episode whre the guys were pummeling the counterfeit guy.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited

It also has a bit of brilliance by the guy you will soon find out is the smartest man in the room.

I love that scene where Bubbles breaks down Sydnor’s junkie disguise, though. “Shit, you married to the needle, boy.”

And seeing the cops beat on that guy for hitting one of their own was eerily reminiscent of the scene from the first episode whre the guys were pummeling the counterfeit guy.

That’s the rules, though. You don’t mess with police, or some straight-up biblical shit is gonna come down on your head.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

The Deep started off good, and then devolved into wtfery. Beware, Brit Imps, if you feel like catching up on iPlayer, not sure it’s worth it.

I assume that most people here know that the Television Gods are considering adapting ‘The Sandman’. Now I really really want to get my hands on those comics.

Saw Episode 4, and aside from some character development and the “Fuck” scene, not much.

Don’t see how it’s gonna work as a show, but with Kripke on board, maybe it won’t suck.

And Vertigo’s releasing new TPB’s of Sandman with updated art by October. That’ll be your best shot to get them.

Saw Episode 4, and aside from some character development and the “Fuck” scene, not much.

And Vertigo’s releasing new TPB’s of Sandman with updated art by October. That’ll be your best shot to get them

Actually, I just found out that I can request volumes at different SD County Libraries and they’ll be shipped to my location, so I’ve requested the first volume and we’ll see how that works out. I’m very excited to read it. Ever since I learned how to request I’ve been getting all these awesome books. :)

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010

"I love Top Gear":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rRY2ICT4k.

On the trainride home, I daydreamed about a three-season plan for what Power Rangers would be like if it was given the BSG treatment.

Also, I saw episode 5 last night and finally interesting to see some things pay off like the pager investigation. But the DVDs’ are stuck at the dorm, so I won’t be able to watch any more during the weekend.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’ve watched a grand total of two episodes of Star Trek TNG, and I already think Picard is awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

:D Aww, I miss TNG. I need the DVDs. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

My only source for TNG is Youtube >.< I’d love to have the DVD’s, but I don’t have that much money to shell out on my nerdy obsessions.

Meil, you should get those special collections they release. I have the Q and Borg collections myself but I think there’s one for Picard and time travel and more.

Oh, and if you’re looking for DVDs et al, one of the best places to start is at this site (usually the lowest) before you go hunting for used prices etc.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010

After the sitcom-y-ness of the previous episode, the wildness of the new one feels great! It was also quite funny and heartwarming.

Recorded an episode of Daria.

Which one was it?