Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010

All three seasons of Kingdom are on Hulu. You will watch them all, now.

Being Human starts on July 24. Yes!

I hope to write something as good as this exchange someday.

“How is she?”

“In and out on a morphine drip. They got her stabilized is all I know. Go on in.”

“No.”

“Unfreeze your ass off that wall, then. Either pay your respects, or get your head back into this case.”

“Fuck this case.”

“Fuck it? Now you’re just gonna, what, call off your little crusade?”

“Is that what you think it was? A crusade? Avon Barksdale was a way to show everyone how smart I was… and how fucked up the department is, that’s all. Just put Jimmy McNulty up on your shoulders, march him around the room, break out the keg. It was never about Avon Barksdale, Lieutenant. It was all about me.”

“You think I didn’t know that? You think we all didn’t know? Listen, this case is gonna move forward with you or without you.”

“This case got her shot. I put a battery up her ass and got her thinking this case meant something. And you know what? Burrell and Rawls and them, they were right. This case means exactly shit.”

“I know it meant damn near nothing to me when you came in beating the drum. But now we got that woman in there, that good police, breathing through a fucking tube, because it meant something to her. And the shooters who dropped Kima? They’re still in the wind. And whoever sent those motherfuckers into that alley, he needs to get got, too. So you can stand there, dripping with liquor-smell and self-pity if you got a mind to, but this case… it means something. Now.”

Where’s it from, sansa?

The Wire, of course.

I kind of want to see the show now from all you’ve said of it. I need some good TV instead of all the crappy reruns I’m stuck on currently.

You absolutely should. It’s the best show, period. Just make sure you wear your thinking cap and there aren’t any children present when you watch.

I’ll rent it from the library then, because I hate watching series out of order. Now just to convince my parents…I still have no idea how I’m going to be able to watch A Game of Thrones.

Oh, you have to watch The Wire in order, or it won’t make any sense. It’s not a “one case per episode” sort of police show. It’s actually closer to a “one case per season” model, since at least in the main police storylines, they’re targeting individual kingpins and their respective organizations and trying to build cases against them, rather than having some specific crime and trying to figure out whodunnit.

Just tell your parents you’re mature enough to handle it, you won’t emulate any of the behavior depicted in the show, and the show itself is a work of art.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

I am intrigued and will download.

Now I have something else to keep me up ‘til 5 AM every day. Alright!

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

Finished watching Justified. It was bad ass. Timothy Olyphant is the man.

the show itself is a work of art.

Now I have to see it. Very well, sansa, you have convinced me. Not like it was hard or anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010 edited

Yeah. It has more in common with Dickens/Dostoevsky/Balzac than it does with… random TV show maker’s work.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010

New Sherlock was fan-bloody-tastic. I almost can’t wait to get into the labs tomorrow to discuss it with Andy and Tom. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010

It was indeed. I missed the first half and just saw the conclusion due to Peep Show on Youtube, though, which I doubt is what you’re supposed to do with these suspenseful detective dramas.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

D8 Why didn’t you just wait for iPlayer?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Christine is yelling at me to watch it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010

Since there is no more Castle to watch, I’ve replaced it with Lie to Me. After watching the pilot, I’m hooked onto the show.

Decided to check out that new Scooby Doo series. Velma and Shaggy being a couple is just weird.

Velma and Shaggy

ಠ益ಠ

But on the plus side, there’s a season arc.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010

Velma and Shaggy

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

It could be worse.

Daphne and Shaggy.

Shudder

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I always thought Shaggy would end up with Scooby.

...Yeah.

They were bros, gatdammit. They weren’t gay.

@ Northmark- who is that?

They weren’t gay.

Well, considering Scooby’s a dog, it’s more than that. XP

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

@SWQ

It’s Lady Gaga, surprisingly normal-looking for once, except for the bow-hair.

Whoa, I didn’t recognize her.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

...please tell me I’m not the only one who finds the bow-hair completely awesome?

You are not alone, swenson.

TV related news: borrowed the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010

@Puppet: You’re watching Lie to Me?

BRILLIANT SHOW MATE

Obviously, I’m also a fan of Lie to Me.

@swenson: I like the bow-hair. It’s cool. How she manages to do that is what I want to know.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

She makes a bow out of hair extensions and then just pins it onto her actual hair. Don’t ask me where I read that. All I want to know is how she makes it stay on there.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, it’s a pretty solid show. Some of the stuff they say is just completely fake, but overall it’s pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010

Aww, I was hoping it was her real hair. Oh well. Another childhood dream shot down…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010

Yeah, I’m pretty sure nobody has enough real hair to make a bow like that and still have some left over.

Being Human is so good. I’ve been watching Doctor Who reruns on BBCA, and it seems to get consecutively better. I’m still not totally sold on whether I like it or not, but I’m going to keep watching for a while longer, and I think it is growing on me.

I got to see some Doctor Who reruns on vaction. (the house had digital cable). Sadly, I’d seen them all save one. That made me sad.

But still, I love that show.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010

So I watched a bunch of Justice League episodes today that I, in the words of Katie Tiedrich, rescued from gypsies. I forgot how awesome that show was.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010

I’ve been watching Mongrels on BBC3 over the last few weeks. Who knew that an ‘adult’ sitcom using animal puppets could be so entertaining?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Mongrel’s is freakin’ fantastic. I was unfortunately drinking water during the latest “middle class” song today, the “You’re already halfway there, ‘cos you’re not watching ITV” line made me spit it out.

I had a towel handy, thank goodness. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I love how they have a song in each episode, and the jibes at other shows. The fleas and their spouting of annoying catchphrases, for instance.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010 edited

:D Did you catch the Mock The Week episode where Russell Howard was talking about his mention on the show? Bless him, but it was hilarious.

Ooh! Linky! http://bbc.co.uk/i/t93n5/?t=22m41s

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010

I did :D

Mock the Week is the other non-Friday comedy show I always watch.

So I watched the first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was cool, something I will definitely continue to watch.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010 edited

Sigh, I miss Buffy. Truly the 90s and early millenium were excellent for geek shows.

Every time I listen to a piece of music from the final episode, I still get shivers down my spine. Brilliant, excellent, wonderful, wonderful series.

WHY DIDN’T I BUY THE DVDS, DAMMIT?!

e: SWQ, I also recommend Charmed for you. It’s not as good as Buffy, but it’s pure crack-y goodness.

Thanks, but I have enough to watch for now.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010

Yeah, I wasn’t recommending you watch it right now. XD

Did you ever get the go-ahead to watch The Wire from your folks?

Yeah, I wasn’t recommending you watch it right now. XD

I watch way too much TV.

Did you ever get the go-ahead to watch The Wire from your folks?

I’m going to request the first season from my library, and they want to watch the first episode with me, just to see what they’re getting into. Which is okay by me, my parents are pretty liberal in most respects.

I’m going to request the first season from my library, and they want to watch the first episode with me, just to see what they’re getting into. Which is okay by me, my parents are pretty liberal in most respects.

That’s fair. The first ep does have tons of cursing(like every other ep), some heroin shooting, a few fairly tame corpses, and a nipple or two, but it could be worse.

I can handle it. I think. Yeah.

SWQ, I also recommend Charmed for you.

Aw, Charmed is such a cute show! You should watch it at some point, SWQ. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010

It made me sad when they messed around with the cast in the later seasons.

But I do so love Leo. Teeheehee. <3

Plus Cole is pretty effing awesome.

But I do so love Leo. Teeheehee. <3

Oh my God, lookingforme is in love with him. She could actually get kind of annoying in the episodes where he had to leave. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

She has good taste. :D

Another favourite, for too short a time, was Coop. Eeeee, so adorable.

Oh, just include every character ever, Charmed was only for pretty people. Which is just fine with me, sometimes you need fun eye candy. 8D

Oh god, what are they doing to Torchwood? Moving the cast to America? Hiring writers from Smallville?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

NO.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I don’t watch Torchwood anyway, but… yeah. What are they doing to the poor thing?!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It’s not like it could get any worse. Zing!

Actually, I’m entirely unbothered, with Jane Espenson on board, I can only expect good things.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Sherlock was perfect. My only quibble is that only 3 episodes is far, far too few.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010 edited

I suddenly started watching Chuck, and I really love it so far. It’s hilarious! It’s ridiculous and over-the-top, but of course that’s the point. Also, it has Adam Baldwin in it, which automatically makes it 24% more awesome. (if it had Nathan Fillion in it, on the other hand, it would be 74% more awesome.)

There is going to be more Sherlock. No word on when or how much, but it will be 90 minute episodes and it will exist.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010

Thank the TV gods!

Now that I think about it, it was frustrating how many of his deductions were based on information unavailable to the general audience. He also took a long time to get around to information that was available to the viewer. Not that this reduces my immense admiration for the programme; it was just different to what I was at first expecting.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I suddenly started watching Chuck, and I really love it so far. It’s hilarious! It’s ridiculous and over-the-top, but of course that’s the point. Also, it has Adam Baldwin in it, which automatically makes it 24% more awesome. (if it had Nathan Fillion in it, on the other hand, it would be 74% more awesome.)

It’s so good in the beginning… But towards the end of Season 2 it just starts to go downhill, in my opinion.

Definitely just in your opinion. Chuck stays forever awesome. Well even if it does go a bit downhill, its still above average. Still entertaining and interesting and funny enough so there’s nothing to really complain about. I liked the progress of the story and how Chuck evolved as a spy and the intersect. And whenever a series has a “will they wont they” between 2 characters I want to just ****ing get together already I have to see the show through till the end to see them finally together. I am looking really forward to season 4.

I need a new show to watch. Other than Being Human, there hasn’t been anything interesting for me on TV.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010 edited

I’m waiting till around the end of September for all the good shows. Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Supernatural, Chuck and The Big Bang Theory. I think thats all the ones I care about (EDIT: Oh and 30 Rock (double edit: Community. Best new comedy ever)). Weird how all the good shows were at the start of the year, then they all ended with nothing good to take their places (well there was Futurama but thats been a bit of a disappointment, and I guess there’s Trueblood) and in September all the good things start again. Why dont they space out the goodness more?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Eh, I’m just getting so sick of “The Ring.” Chuck needs some new villains.

Isnt the ring defeated now though? And I thought the first 1 or 2 seasons (cant remember) did have a different villain and it was only in 3 that had The Ring. Eh I dont care either way.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Chuck is amazing but it probably should have ended a season ago or so. I’m slowly starting to like my shows shorter and shorter. Burn Notice is the same, its still good, but I doubt it will ever get better than the first two seasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I guess you could say Chuck is still the same. I just don’t fell motivated to watch it like I used to.

I need a new show to watch. Other than Being Human, there hasn’t been anything interesting for me on TV.

If you haven’t watched The Wire yet, watch it. It’s the GOAT.

I might get that from the library if they have it.

And I decided to start re-watching Firefly. For a show where the culture’s supposed to be somewhat influenced by Chinese, it’s weird how there isn’t a single Asian character on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010

There are plenty of Asian extras, though. There’s probably an in-universe reason; maybe most of the Asian people live on different frontier planets?

They were going to cast River and Simon Tam as Asian, but then Whedon cast Summer Glau as River, so they both had to be white.

Still, one thing I wondered was, couldn’t they just tape River’s eyes or something and say she was a white Asian b/c of gene mix, and therefore cast Simon as full Asian?

(Then again, the white thing meant that Sean Maher got cast, so I’m not complaining very much at all.)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Still, one thing I wondered was, couldn’t they just tape River’s eyes or something and say she was a white Asian b/c of gene mix, and therefore cast Simon as full Asian?

No… Just no.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, I’m not sure if that’d work out very well…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

I started watching the Wire! ‘Tis good. My favorite scene so far (I’m on episode 5) is when D walks up on some of his dealers playing checkers on chess set and teaches them chess using gang related terms. My other favorite so far is the crime scene investigation that basically only uses the word F***. :)

I almost posted the chess scene instead, or the one in episode 2 where McNulty and Bunk go talk to D’Angelo and Bodie in the Pit(“Just you, me, my partner, and Mr. Shit here.”) The chess scene only gets more brilliant the further you get into the show.

At any rate, if you think it’s good now, you’re still wading in the show’s shallows. Most of the show’s best characters haven’t even appeared yet(although my favorite has already[Bodie]).

Just don’t expect it to have any crazy Dexter-esque finales where all the threads come together in a neat package. The show’s too committed to realism, and all resolutions are jagged.

The Guild marathon in progress…

Being Human is so awesome. It just is.

Plus, tomorrow, I’m catching up on Doctor Who. I’ve got four episodes to watch.

I’m enjoying British television. They have really good promos for the network too, I’ve noticed.

What’s Being Human about?

Werewolf, vampire, and ghost live together. Hilarity ensues.

It’s written by that guy who wrote the DW episode where the Doctor and Sarah Jane fought Giles.

Oh, I remember now. I made a mental note to check that out AGES ago, and then never did.

The scene Lord Snow was talking about(language warning).

Also, maybe the best youtube comment I’ve ever seen is for that clip:

“Selling dope and wholesale murder is one thing, but playing checkers on a chess set deeply offended D’Angelo’s sense of propriety.”

I made a mental note to check that out AGES ago, and then never did.

You really should. It is kind of graphic, and there’s a language, but it’s really good.

The scene Lord Snow was talking about(language warning).

I still need to go rent The Wire.

Watched the scene. Now I really need to rent it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010

That scene was great. I like how he used street slang to explain everything.

I am telling you, it is the best show of all the shows. It’s like ASoIaF if it were set in Baltimore.

It’s like ASoIaF

And I need to read that too. I’m so very behind. :(

So am, NP, so am I. Be aware of lots of language and multiple references to whores.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Eh, it didn’t mentally scar me or anything. But then again, that’s me.

So am, NP, so am I. Be aware of lots of language and multiple references to whores.

That type of thing doesn’t bother me. I only mentioned the language thing to you, Steph, because I remember something you said about picking up and book and not reading it because the f-word was in like the first few pages or something like that. I think that was you anyway.

I also said it because of the “hilarity ensues” comment. It’s not exactly a comedy. It has funny parts, but it’s not like a sitcom or anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, although there are whores, rape, violence, language, incest, etc. in A Song of Ice and Fire, I didn’t lose any sleep over it like I did over some other books.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010 edited

Obligatory Shortpacked strip posting:

Yeah, although there are whores, rape, violence, language, incest, etc. in A Song of Ice and Fire, I didn’t lose any sleep over it like I did over some other books.

Me either. I’ve never been particularly bothered by bad language, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I finally got around to finishing the first season of Prison Break. It was good.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It was good.

The first season is by far the best, and the second is very good as well. After that, it loses a bit of its charm.

I had a mini- Doctor Who -athon. Four episodes. I’m caught up and ready for Monday’s episode.