Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Advice, questions, anything, because we haven’t had much writing-related discussion lately.

(Advice would be particularly nice though!)

To start things off: what are among the worst inaccuracies/pitfalls with how royalty are usually portrayed?

•  
      CommentAuthorDem
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

Rebellious Princess Syndrome?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Taking an aside.

/points at ASoIaF

‘nuff said.

I think just about any type of personality of the prince or princess has been overdone, but it doesn’t mean it’s pointless to not try. But even the kind yet rebellious are just as overused as RPS along with the arrogant prince.

One that always annoys me is the always obviously evil adviser, or even worse the brother who tries to steal the throne from the rightful heir.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Monarchs are always either the kindliest person to ever ascend to the throne (and someone is trying to overthrow them) or the most evil dictator man has ever known (and someone is trying to overthrow them). I’d like to see a normal king for once, one that isn’t being overthrown by anybody.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Say hello to King Jonathan of Tortall, king during all four Tortall series written by Tamora Pierce.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited

Jonathan! drools But you’re right, he is normal. Despite being very nice (Thayet is his co-ruler, not just his wife; teaching peasants to read; making knighthood co-ed), he faces opposition from the conservative lords, gave up his One True Love Alanna to unite two countries by marrying Thayet, and is hesitant about starting a bill to change a law for servant civil rights, knowing he will have to court the Church, the conservatives, and the progressives. Also, he’s really sexy.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

One that always annoys me is the always obviously evil adviser, or even worse the brother who tries to steal the throne from the rightful heir.

Unless its someone like Renly Baratheon.

•  

I’m trying to find the right level of rebel for my princess. Yes, she hates etiquette, though she realizes that it’s not going away and she must deal with it – at least until she’s queen. She loves dresses and breeches, but considers shoes a vulgar form of torture. She is annoyingly smart in magic and education, but knows nothing about the inner city. Also, her stepmother wants to take over the throne.

Is this bad, good, Mary Sue…?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hm.. its hard to tell from just a description. Easier for us in text and literature.

•  

Haven’t gotten so far, unfortunately. It’s in my “do this now or die miserable death” folder that I open once every six months.

Aww I have a brother trying to steal the thrown, but I don't know if he's obviously evil or not. But him stealing the thrown is a reasonably minor plot point with a twist that makes it different enough. Well at least it does to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin

happycrab, I’m talking specifically about characters like Scar from The Lion King or other Evil Uncles. Maybe avoid this by not making him evil?

• CommentAuthorWitrin

What do people think of Touchstone? (...For those that have read Garth Nix’s Old Kingdom.)

Devin, well yeah it is basically an evil uncle like Scar. At first he seems evil but then it turns out he was a pawn for a greater evil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009

How are any of these 'inaccuracies?' You seem to be under the impression that Tropes Are Bad.

Rebellious Princess Syndrome?

A Saudi princess just seeked asylum in the UK after having an illigitimate child with her British boyfriend – if she returns home she’ll be killed for adultry. True it’s under different context to what a fantasy story would entail, but I’m just saying: it happens.

Is this bad, good, Mary Sue…?

It’s bad because she wears breeches. This is medieval fantasy, isn’t it? She would be looked down upon and even considered promiscuous if she was wearing breeches (in those days, the calf was considered the most sexual part of the body and breeches don’t cover them; it’d be the equivalent of wearing a very low-cut top). The rest is alright, except the shoes thing. How can you justify it?

Really, so long as you can justify her oddities then it’s ok.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

The calf? Seriously?

Wow, and I thought getting sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter was strange.

Seriously. Hence why Bugs Bunny would stick his leg out and roll his dress up when cross-dressing to fool Elmur. Women had all sorts of cleavage, but it was the calves that made men go gaga.

This is also why men stood the way they did: to show off their calves. Some would even wear paddings to make their calves look curvier (think of it like a padded bra… but for men’s legs).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009 edited

And how dare you have creases in your tights! They stuffed them with horsehair padding or even grain to keep them from getting creases or wrinkles.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Dear...Dear God.

I like fantasy much, much better now. Less...weirdass stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Reality is a strange place indeed.

Reality is a strange place indeed.

Very well put. ;)

I’m waiting for a novel about modern royalty. Yeah, I have a feeling I’ll be waiting for a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

You could try Kings.)
    It may be too speculative, though.

Huh, I’ll check it out. Thanks. ;)

@ Corsair: well, I’m flexible. Inaccuracies, overused cliches, whatever.

what are among the worst inaccuracies/pitfalls with how royalty are usually portrayed?

- All Kindly Old Kings who rule Kingdoms are Good. All Emperors are Evil.

- Just because you happened to have the right parents, you’re automatically a better ruler than the guy who rallied an army and took the throne by force.

- Rebellious Princesses. Ugh.

— More specifically, no Rebellious Princess who wants to run away and learn swordfighting/magic using/horse-riding/etc. ever discovers that she is bad at it.

— Conversely, every female who even remotely shows acceptance of traditional female gender roles, let alone gasp! wears a dress, is vapid and superficial.

- All middle-aged nobles who aren’t unconditionally loyal to the main character(s) must be backstabbing schemers.

...at this point I’m just listing tropes I don’t like, since I don’t have extensive knowledge of how royalty actually works (when it does).

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Considering that Rebellious Princesses tend to be Main Characters, it'd be a bit of a dull story if she turned out that the only thing she had a talent for was doing what she hated. Also, a remarkably sadistic one.

It would be more interesting if the princess was a masochist…

uhh… avoid writing politics if you know nothing about how politics/power actually works. And yes, I am glaring at you Paolini and that indeed is murderous rage in my eyes.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

But it’s magical politics, between magical races… bahaha.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@Witrin—Mmm, yes, I’d say Touchstone is a good, normal king. Although I will say that he does have the usual angst about not wanting to be king—but thankfully he doesn’t promptly then become TEH BEST KING EVAR. I liked that.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

When you really think about it, being King or Emperor or whatever is actually a pretty shitty gig.

How all non-human races are ruled buy a monarchy who commands all members of that race with unquestioned authority.

All elves are ruled by a single Elven King or Queen. All dwarves are ruled by a single Dwarf King. All fairies are ruled by a single Fairy Queen. All Orcs and Goblins and Dragons and every minor vaguely humanoid races have a monarchy. I mean, even Philip Pullman had Bear-King and Witch-Queen. gags

I’d really like to see a non-human race with a goverment type other than monarchy, you know. It doesn’t even always work for all human society, so how is it supposed to work every time for species who don’t even have a intellect similar to ours?

The fact that there is only one government for each race always irked me, too. Human societies are always seemed to be plagued with different governments and nations in conflict, but an Elvenking rules all elves, and the Bear-King rules all bears. Why can’t elves have several monarchies, instead of one? What if the dwarves of North form a theocratic government, while the dwarves of South prefer to live as nomadic clans?

I’m not the biggest fan of his books, but Tolkien got it right with his elves and dwarves.

Then again, it’s Tolkien. Of course he did.

After all, Elves and Dwarves are Tolkien's original and unique creations and can only be whole when written by him despite what Paolini would have you believe.

Well, they were taken from Nordish mythology, but he adapted them and made them his own. So yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Dwarves do tend to be broken up by Clans, and there is often a 'Splinter Faction' of Elves, but yeah, as a general rule, you're right. People treat Elves and Dwarves like individual nations all too often.

Usually Elves and Dwarves don’t breed nearly as much as humans, leading to smaller populations. With a smaller population, it might make sense to have a minimal number of nations, just for safety’s sake. However, it does get oversimplified a lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

And many fantasy stories take place in a world where elves and dwarves are ‘fading’ for whatever reason, so it makes sense that they’d be more centralised as a race. This also allows the young, dynamic and easily corrupted humans to take centre stage with their more diverse cultures without causing too many territorial disputes.

Indeed!

This also allows the young, dynamic and easily corrupted humans to take centre stage with their more diverse cultures without causing too many territorial disputes.

Well put, Moldorm. ;)

Moldorm, you sway me. :D

The problem is, most writers treat races as individual monarchic nations not because of your reasoning but because of laziness, lack of imagination and stereotypes on fantasy races. Also, the single-monarchy rule also applies to younger and more dynamic races such as Orcs and goblins.

I’d like to see some intra-racial (Not inter-racial, mind you, the Elf-Dwarf conflic has been a little too overdone for my liking) conflicts on a non-human race. How about an attempt at the throne in a nation that is not a human kingdom for once? :P

That would be surprisingly original.

Ooh, yes, let’s have Elrohir and Elladan try to overthrow Elrond!

But it will be really cool, and sensible besides, if Oromis or Arya was trying to overthrow Queen Islanzadí.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I can see it now.

While Eragon is away fighting Galby, Arya overthrows Izlanzadi and flanks the Varden army, and after Eragon kills Galby then Arya kills him and claims the throne of Alageisia.

Izlanzadi? Really?

Alag-whatsit?

I propose we call it The Land of Excessive Vowels.

Makes perfect sense, specially given that Paolini continuously portrays Islanzadí as a emotional and ineffective queen while Arya is supposed to be the godly, goodly, all-knowing goddess. It will be for the good of the Alagaesia.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Plus it would also make sense for Arya to hate her.

(If you read Eldest you would understand.)

I haven’t read it…

You know, that really is a crappy made-up name for a Queen. Ditto for the country.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009

Indeed.

The thing is, even in Lord of the Rings there were still multiple Elven and Dwarven Kingdoms despite the gradual fall of the race. In The Silmarillion, it was kind of bewildering how many there were - Nargothrond, Gondolin, Doriath, Hithlum, just to name a few, - plus there was some good old conflict between the Sindar and Noldor, and some Noldor against Noldor in the case of the Sons of Feanor. After Beleriand was destroyed, there was still the Greenwood Sindarin in Mirkwood and the Galadhrim Sindarin in Lorien, not to mention the remaining Noldor at Lindon and Rivendell.

As for the Dwarves, besides Durin and his people at Khazad-Dum, there was also the Dwarves of Tumunzahar, better known as Nogrod, and the Dwarves of Gabilgathol, better known as Belegost. Both, however, were greatly reduced during the War of Wrath, to the point where they merged with the Dwarves of Khazad-Dum and later, Erebor.

Another Tolkein nut!

Yay for the Silmarillion :D

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

I swear, sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who was crazy enough to read that book and actually enjoy it. Everyone else I've shown it to finds it too dry to even get through Ainulindale, much less Quenta Silmarillion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Elvish politics (in LotR) are incredibly confusing. Even if they are a “fading” species during LotR, they’ve still got multiple factions.

Anyway, back to fantasy royalty. Aside from the constant cliches, most royalty in fantasy is over-simplified for my tastes. It’s like in Spain, back in the time of Isabella and Ferdinand. Before they married and united Castile and Aragon, Spain was a conglomeration of territories ruled by powerful nobles. Sure, there were kings of each area, but they had to have the support of the nobles, and when the nobles decided to support someone else, that person was the new king. Same thing in Germany, England (in this case, they had to rely on Parliament to do what they wanted, because Parliament controlled the money… at least after 1215 AD), everywhere in Middle Ages Europe. Sure, there were some monarchs who had a lot of power and were evil dictators, blah blah blah. But many had extremely limited powers and survived only by keeping on good terms with the nobles.

Also, that joke about how the peasants don’t know they have a king in Monty Python and the Holy Grail wasn’t entirely inaccurate. While I’m pretty sure the peasants knew they had a king somewhere, the lower classes would have been far more worried about their particular lord or other noble than the overall government. Oh! That’s another thing! Why is there never any feudalism in fantasy books? The system, although abused a lot, made sense, so any place where invaders/wars were common seems like a likely place for feudalism to grow up.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

A Song of Ice and Fire has Feudalism. Hell, the whole story is basically an exploration of just how fucked over a Feudal society can get when the shit hits the fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited

ASoIaF is a good book, though. (at least from what I’ve heard) Bad fantasy books always have either an evil king with supreme power and conveniently no nobles whatsoever or a benevolent but old and doddering king who is being threatened by an earl or duke or somebody.

What about Duke Vedris? He’s got some Rebellious Princess Syndrome, and he’s benevolent, but he’s a duke, not a king, and from what I can gather seems very off-screen.

@ Corsair: I read the Silmarillion and enjoyed it! It’s been a while, however, so my memory of fine-details might be off.

I really do need to read ASOIAF. I can’t find it anywhere, though! So freakin’ annoying.

@ Corsair: *jumps up and down* Me! Me! Meee!

Yes, too many people overlook the complexity of Tolkien elves. Even during the War of the Rings when the Elves are supposed to be fading away, we see multiple Elven factions/nations; Noldor of Rivendell led by Elrond, Sindarin of Lorien led by Galadriel and Celeborn, Silvan of Mirkwood led by Thranduil, Tereri of Grey Haven led by Cirdan, not to mention individual High Elves that we see traveling towards the West.

When people just assume LotR elves to have a single monarchy with all this complexity, they have not read the book properly.

Then again, Tolkien really doesn’t go deeply into government in Middle Earth in any case. Not like that takes away from the story…

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009

^ OK, why are you posting gross images in more than one thread?

Back to royalty – what’s the difference between a rebellious princess and one with Rebellious Princess Syndrome?

Is there a difference? I didn’t think so…

@ Smartalien: A princess who’s rebellious in stereotypical ways? Refusing to have an arranged marriage, hates wearing dresses, etc.

But this makes me wonder what kind of princess would not be stereotypically rebellious.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

Morgana le Fay style?

If the princess were pure evil or insane, blowing up the castle, murdering denizens of the city…

A rebellious princess is one who refuses to follow society’s expectations, for one reason or another. RPS is a reason, or rather a lack of a reason.

A femme fatale of a princess that is conspiring for the throne?

Well, at least it would be original.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

Keela from the Chanters of Tremaris by Kate Constable is an example of the above.

I’m afraid that I haven’t read either of these books,

Ceresi comes to mind as an archetypal femme fatale, but she is a queen, not a princess.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Keela from the Chanters of Tremaris by Kate Constable is an example of the above.

Ooh, yeah, I remember her. She was v. pretty, as with all princesses, but she went about undermining things in more creative ways.