Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

Just like the Video game discussion.

I haven’t been playing many recently, but when I do I mostly play Cave Story, Baldur’s Gate II, White Butterfly, Garden of colored Lights and Battle for Wesnoth.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

I thought computer games are video games.

But w/e. PC Gaming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Console Gaming.

• CommentAuthorsimian

The hell it is! At least I can easily play a console game without having to spend an hour scrounging around for the latest drivers or dreading updates that screw everything up. Well, actually, that updates thing has been happening to console games lately, too.

But oh well. At the moment, there's still no Warhammer 40,000 on consoles (although there will be one, soon.) (Goes back to playing Dawn of War.)

I play FPSes so your argument is invalid.

The PC is the best gaming platform, I don’t see how anyone can argue otherwise.
    Currently playing Left 4 Dead and Medieval 2: Total War. Just the other day I quit WoW for good after months of on-off playing. Vendored all my gear, gave the resulting gold to some low level character, and logged off.

There is no ‘best platform’. It all depends on what you’re going to play.

Playing console games tend to be more satisfying for me, but I enjoy pc games as well.

At the moment I’m juggling between Beyond Good & Evil and Black & White 2.

The two big blizzard rts games (Brood War and Frozen Throne) are pretty much where it's at. So is HL2, esp for the mods (PVKII FTW). On that note, however, unfortuanately, my GPU fan has been dead for a looonngg time, so Valve games in general and anything less than 6 years old are pretty much out for me for PC. My 360 is also dead, since that's what they do, and I need to get a new TV screen because my current one more or less broke down.

Heck, the only things I have left that are completely functional in all ways are my old gameboys. Those things are tough.

Buy a deskfan and set it on by the tower like I did.

I play old console games on my PC. Does that count?

Also, too many indie platformers to list (of course I have Cave Story). And DOS adventure games, which are awesome.

My favorite PC game.

“Oh my God. This game is awesome!”
    ha ha, nice.
    I read about it on Wikipedia, sounds fun.

• CommentAuthorLccorp2
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

Team Fortress 2 has eaten so much of my life since release that it’s not funny.

L4D is only frustrating when you don’t have your usual friends on to play with you, so…yeah.

It has Tim Curry as a god! With a balloon for a head!

Never played L4D or Team Fortress D:

• CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

TF2 crashes too much

Speaking of Shiny Entertainment, how about MDK? Nobody seems to remember that game.

Sorry for the double post, but I got this game today and it’s really awesome. Like F-Zero GX meets Hypersonic Xtreme meets NASCAR, with absolutely massive tracks.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

Old games are fun. We have an ancient computer (Windows 95, baby!) with about a million old games. Fury 3, Descent 2, Oregon Trail II (my sisters and I would compete to see how quickly we could kill our entire party), Chip’s Challenge (I want to find a version of this for Windows XP! It was a ton of fun, and I was totally the one who figured out the last level, thank you very much.), SkiFree, about a hundred card games (Tut’s Tomb, Blackjack, that one with three “mountains” of cards- TriPeaks or something?)... good times, good times.

I still love Fury 3. It’s awesome. I installed it on our XP, so I still play it every once in a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

TF2 crashes too much

I dunno what drugs you’re on, I’ve never had problems with TF2, even on shittier computers. But it rocks.. I love playing Orange X3.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has taken up 99% of my time for the last day and or so. It brings back good memories.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

Ah… love Oblivion with all my heart. Can’t wait for Elder Scrolls V.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009

I thought Oblivion was the end of the series?

Ah, who am I kidding, nothing profitable ENDS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hehe, no, nothing profitable does end. I wonder what nation in Tamriel will host Elder Scrolls V? I think the Black Marsh would be the coolest.

Isn’t it set something like 50 years before Oblivion? An odd choice, considering they’ve followed in chronoligical order until now.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Where did you hear that?

nvm, I just rechecked the sourse and I missed the big FAKE right near the end.

Well, Tamriel will be verrry different considering the ending of Oblivion. Without an emperor, I imagine there’s a lot of power struggles going on – how epic would a proper, war-torn Tamriel be like?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well, Tamriel will be verrry different considering the ending of Oblivion. Without an emperor, I imagine there’s a lot of power struggles going on – how epic would a proper, war-torn Tamriel be like?

Very, very epic. But I think that another one in Cyrodiil would get boring, a new place should be chosen.

I doubt it’d be set in Cyrodiil. And anyway, doesn’t the empire’s reach extend across all Tamriel?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, I would think so. In Morrowind you are sent to Vvardenfell by decree of Uriel Septim.

Thanks to whoever posted a link to Darths & Droids somewhere else on the forums, I was compelled to go buy Star Wars Battlefront II over Steam.

It’s downloading now.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

‘Twas me!
    I feel smug.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

BFII is good.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited

I spent so, so much time playing the game on my PS2 when it first came out. It lacks some of the better maps of Battlefront I (though I can’t remember which now, except for Bespin, and the PS2 couldn’t access the DLC maps that were released for xbox and pc), but it made up for it with much better game mechanics. There is some insane amount of fun to be had on Coruscant and the Death Star.

It probably won’t be as good as on the PS2 though. The feel of the controller in your hands, the satisfaction of the button presses is half the fun! It’s not the same with a keyboard and mouse. I should really invest in a pc-controller.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Eh, I prefer the keyboard and mouse.

Hm.. its only $20, I might have to get it.

There’s nothing like sitting on the sofa, controller in hand (I personally prefer wired ones, but that’s just me), in front of a big TV, sounds coming at you from over, hammering at the buttons until your thumb wears out, chugging a coke down as your character reaches the finishing line and does a victory dance before being zapped to the next level… ah…

It’s all in the controller, holding that lump of plastic and metal, that’s what really immerses me. With a PC, there’s nothing to proper latch your hand around. The mouse doesn’t do it for me.

I like mice. I used to like the controller, mostly because the buttons were quickly accessible. Now I have a gaming mouse with more buttons, and better responciveness. It’s all in the controller, holding that lump of plastic and metal, that’s what really immerses me. With a PC, there’s nothing to proper latch your hand around.
    I can wrap my hand around my mouse. Controllers are smooth, but they’re clumsy and imprecise. My head shot count(and snipeing ability) went up by 4x using the mouse.
    I like BFII better then the first one. The campaign is different then the ordinary levels, the graphics are better, the friend-foe colors are better, the new maps are more interesting, and you get to play as jedi.(and sith)

Yeah, it’s better in almost every way, but it’s missing a couple of BF1’s best levels. It’s also way better balanced. I remember it was basically impossible to win against the Trade Federation in most levels, because the Droidekas were way over powered. Just wasn’t fun.

And yeah, I can wrap my hand around my mouse, but it’s not the same as holding a controller with your two hands, there just isn’t, stop arguing because I’m right and you’re wrong.

The only PC games I play is The Sims and Nancy Drew. I'm not much of a video gamer.

It’s not the same, it’s better.

Yes, exactly!

Glad we’ve come to an agreement.

Let’s just not specify what ‘it’ is.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It misses the Rhen Var maps and the Echo Base bunker section on Hoth, and the Dark Trooper doesn’t have his awesome shotgun-laser any more.
    But the awards and main characters make up for that.

Dr. Alligator, are you a Politician?
    I loved the Dark trooper, now the Engineer has the shotgun. The awards are nice and I like the ARC caster. It’s not my favorite weapon, but enjoyable.

And the Detpacks are Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

They are indeed.
    ...I always use the side with the jump/jetpack troopers.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Battle Front 2 was the best, I remember the good old days when Sly and Lord Snow would duel off against each other.

Man, the graphics really look dated if you’re looking from a first person perspective. Like, reeeally dated. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the crappy gun was the original Half-Life. And this was released in 2004, same year as Half-Life 2. But from third person it looks way better, and IMO that’s how the game should be played anyway.

The interface on PC is much better though. Haven’t tried the multiplayer, I’ll wait to unlock the Elite Rifle before I bother to check if anyone still plays.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I was seriously considering buying Battlefront II, but I wasn’t sure if it would work on Wine.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ugh, I got sick of Wine and too lazy to run a virtual DOS, so ditched my Ubuntu.

It’s great fun is all I can say.

Playing losing battles can be a real thrill. Playing Kashyyyk as the Republic is a tough fight, and so’s Endor as the Empire (the wookies and rebels all blend right into the woods, not to mention those fucking ewoks).

Also, some of the things the NPCs say can be amusing by sheer fluke, like one time on the Death Star:

Stormtrooper 1: There’s so many of them!
    Stormtrooper 2: Are you blind?!

The second Trooper actually said that because of a small friendly fire incident, but it sounded like a scripted conversation when I first heard it.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Puts on DrA’s voice:

Yeah, wtf.

Where is the Harry Potter MMO? The series has so much depth and locations and… just so much one could go into! A game set during the first war against Voldemort would be epic. Imagine trawling 1970s UK, having wizard duels in public, then wiping the memories of anyone who seeees… And there’s loads of branches to the magic that just opens loads of opportunities for the class builds, and wouldn’t it be awesome to be in a Quidditch team and just imagine, it’s be an amazing way for Rowling to explore that section of HP backstory.

Put that way, I would love a HP MMO. But most likely if that ever happened it would just be commercialized tripe without any good gameplay.

Since EA own the rights to Harry Potter, that’s all too true.

[Looks over at Battle for Middle Earth II. Shakes head and sighs]

The idea came to me as similar to Bioshock 2’s approach to its multiplayer aspect: another means of delving into the backstory. Having the players relive the chaos of a falling Rapture was a very smart decision. I think something like that for Harry Potter would also be very clever. Maybe the encyclopedia she’s writing will help make it a reality.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’m opposed to Biosuck 2 in every form, but that’s another discussion.

Yeah while the world and quests involved in an HP MMO would be cool, they’ll need to appeal to the casual and HP crowd, so it will just be a WoW skin and people waving sticks and lots of particle effects.

Now if they had a skill based progression (Star Wars Galaxy, pre-suck; Mortal Online, Ultima Online), it would truly rock.

True, the MMO market isn’t very casual gamer friendly, and it’s safe to assume that most HP fans probably aren’t MMO-gamers.

I thought you’d probably have some hate towards Bioshock 2 (I’ll wait ‘till it’s out to judge), but I nevertheless find the multiplayer aspect an interesting concept.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No, the MMO market is slowly becoming more casual than it is already. DCUO won’t even have death! You just get ‘knocked out’ because according to those dimwits with a publisher’s pole up their ass, superheroes aren’t supposed to die, even if it totally breaks gameplay. Yes, HP fans are not MMO-gamers, which means they’ll have to make shit like that so the game would sell. Ironically, the game may sell a lot, but it will die in 18 months.

And they’ll make it free to play too.

Yeah, I’ll admit that at least the Biosuck 2 multiplayer does make good sense. And I’m not saying Biosuck 2 will be bad, because it won’t be. The game will look and play fine, but its not a true sequel to Bioshock. As players who experienced and enjoyed the uniqueness and richness of Bioshock, we’re getting served Tywin Lannister’s shit. The common people may think its gold, but its still shit.

Oh, you mean because it’s passed hands…

But Lannister had a hand in Bioshock, for example, the more memorable stage with that, um, that insane artist. Forgotten his name now. Eh, guess we’ll wait and see.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited

Oh, you mean because it’s passed hands…

Yes and no. Ken Levine was the project lead on the first and not on the second, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, its a regular occurrence in game franchises. But Levine had such a big influence on the art, music, philosophy, underlying themes, that 2K Marin may emulate, but will ultimately fail at because they don’t have the original.

Here, read this.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

I am playing Rome: Total War, and I think its probably my favorite RTS of all time. It has a perfect blend of action to city management, and a general campaign battle is so much fun with Senate missions and your royal family, etc. And battles feel really realistic, with hundreds upon hundreds of soldiers for each side, they look and feel proper.

Damn Macedonians keep taking my cities..

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

Starcraft!

Old school all the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

Zerg Rush kekekekekekekeke.

I dislike Starcraft, because the computer’s blatant cheating makes it nearly impossible to win custom games.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited

That is why God invented online. For you to take your frustration and ruin the lives of others. :)

THREAD, RESURRECT.
    I want to know if anyone has played East India Company or Mount and Blade. Brief reviews desirable.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009

Mount and Blade is amazing. That is all.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I know people who have played EIC.

Game is very good, menu system is awkward. I haven’t played.

That is the impression I got for both games from other sources.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Been playing Baldur’s Gate 2. XD It’s been a while.

I’m slowly gravitating back to WoW.

/sheep

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

D:

Don’t!

Come play Mortal Online.

I can’t. I have to go kill bosses in a gray tent and get more purps.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Nooooooo!

C’mon.. full pvp, full loot, first person, mounted combat, skill based, you know you want it!

What I really want is to drive around in a motorcycle with my ghoul buddy in the sidecar wearing a scarf and goggles. Sadly, no game offers me that experience yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hm.. that is true.

That’s why you need to learn how to do it in real life.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Excuse me while I go take on the role of a deranged mage with his head on fire and threaten an innocent blue Moglin necromancer.

THAT’S RIGHT, IN DRAGONFABLE WE GET TO BE XAN THIS WEEK! Muahahaha! And to make it even better, we get to threaten Zorbak’s life! Man, I wish my normal character could do that… but noooo, she has to be “good” instead.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Been playing Baldur’s Gate 2. XD It’s been a while.

Took you long enough. :P I need to get the sound and saves working. xD

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I completely forgot I have a rom of A Link to the Past on my computer, so I started playing it today… I’ve never actually played it before, so it’s all new to me. Pretty good game, though. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Yes! Good game! You must play to completion!

Then play Link’s Awakening DX.

My sister bought a playstation controller compatible with the PC. I’m thinking of getting one when I go back to the UK, it’ll make playing PSX roms so much more fun.

‘computer game’, ‘videogame’, don’t really care which thread I’m posting in.

Persona 4. Best RPG I have played in a long time.

The game just has so much to do, there’s just as much to do outside of the dungeons as there is inside them. The battle mechanics are very clever, creating personas is fun and raising your social links is too. There’s so many subplots and all the characters are actually very interesting, and best of all it’s one of the funniest games I’ve ever played. There are a lot of side-splittingly funny moments.

On a similar not, anyone else here a fan of Level-5’s games? They’re the guys who made Dark Cloud/Chronicle, Dragon Quest VIII, Professor Layton, and Jeanne D’Arc. Well, they’re making more awesome.

Yes, I recommend using a PS2 controller for emulation. An adapter cost me like 8 bucks or so plus shipping, totally worth it.

Also, Link to the Past is a classic, and the first game I ever owned.

And I was going to go buy a gamepad. Thanks for the tip!

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009

SkiFree was fun. But that stupid Yeti…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hahaha, once I was so proud of myself, I actually avoided the stupid thing for a few seconds!

Just go down at an angle at fast speed. And don’t fall.

Wow, I haven’t thought of that game in a decade. Goddamn that yeti. He was the worst.

And he was a dick about it, too! He’d dance after eating you!

Yetis just have no sportsmanship. What an asshole.

/punt

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

On a tangeant, I tried Civ IV: Beyond the Sword on Deity mode.

I lost just about instantly.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

XD

Nice. I can’t play those super civilization sims.. where the micromanagement is so intense you have to choose whether you want distilled water, mineral water, or spring water harvested from a shallow pond, a creek, a brook, or a stream, O.o how about a lake, or maybe this reservoir here?

Also, Link to the Past is a classic, and the first game I ever owned.

It was my first Zelda game, though I played the GBA port. Speaking of which, I’ve just gone and bought Majora’s Mask on my Wii. Good game, though the save game mechanic is even more tiresome than Dragon Quest’s ‘you can only save at a church’ bullshit.

So I’ve just bought Osmos on Steam. Brilliant Indie game, absolutely stunning.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It is fun.. dunno if I will buy it though. It is nice and cheap.

I’ve always liked RTS and God games.
    RTS because I get to create an empire, and send it to rape and pillage the neighbors.
    God games because I just love creating houses and people in the Sims. I create my dream house. But when I was beginning, I didn’t up the skill on cooking, and my sim burned to death, along with the rest of the kitchen.
    This must mean I’m a control freak xD

I like the epic wars in RTS games, but not so much most of the other parts of it. This is why I am going to fall in love with Gratuitous Space Battles when it comes out.

Anyone else here played Stronghold/Stronghold Crusader? I used to love that game. Now that was a brilliant game.

But for a bad RTS, look no further than Battle For Middle Earth. God, that game was infuriating. Gathering resources wasn’t interesting, troops took forever to train and the factions are ridiculously unbalanced. The forces of Mordor have the Witch King of Angmar as one of their heroes, riding a fell beast no less. In some skirmishes you’ll fight, you have your hero and a small platoon and they have their hero and a small platoon. Your hero is some twat riding a horse waving a sword around. Their hero is riding a mount that can take down an entire castle by itself in under a minute. It has multiple area-of-effect and instant kill attacks. Your infantry and cavalry are useless against it. And sometimes, by which I mean almost all the time, the enemy starts the battle off with this thing.

So wave your sword around, Aragorn, it might delay your death by another moment.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I never played it.. lucky me, evidently.

Yes. Poor Alligator.

AND...(adding to DA’s post)It is incompatible with Dual-core processers. Yes it sucks.

Addendum: I was actually playing Battle For Middle Earth II. But BFME probably sucks even harder.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I heard it did suck.. it looked good too.

I thought about buying it.

And I bought it.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Just play Osmos.. and all will feel better.

I do, I do.

Does anyone have any freeware recommendations?