Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited

Wa

(No seriously, I don’t understand what you mean by that.)

EDIT: Pageget. Ohyeah.

The beach episode is my favorite individual episode, because Azula is my favorite character and she kills it.

YOU WILL NEVER RISE FROM THE ASHES OF YOUR SHAME AND HUMILIATION

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

The beach episode is my favorite individual episode, because Azula is my favorite character and she kills it.

She’s my favorite character, too.

TOGETHER, YOU AND I WILL BE THE STRONGEST COUPLE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! WE WILL DOMINATE THE EARTH

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

Only Azula could make beach volleyball that important.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

I loved Azula, especially oh so much in the beach episode.

Sorry, I just sort of grinned there for a bit reviewing my memories of her awesomeness

Honestly though, I was rather disappointed by the end of the series, because it didn’t seem all that well grounded in her character. I mean, it was foreshadowed, but maybe the character turned out too strong for such machinations and thus (to me) it felt false.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

Huh, I didn’t realize there were so many Azula fans here! She’s my favorite, too, and the beach episode is also my favorite.

I dunno, Thea, I always thought that was a logical place for her character to go; like most bullies, she seemed to have a pretty delicate self esteem, which pretty much shattered when the only people who kept her going (friends + dad) bailed on her. She certainly seemed strong, but she didn’t have any real strength.

And anything that culminates in that chilling scene with her screaming and thrashing about in her bonds… dang, I don’t really care if it’s in line with her character.

“Your clothing’s so sharp, it might rend the hull of a Fire Navy ship and send it crashing down into the ocean, destroying its entire crew!” (Paraphrased.)

I believed Azula could break down like that, but I thought it was somewhat rushed. If they’d had another half-episode to an episode to build up to it I think it would’ve been a lot better.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

Yeah, I can agree with that.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

Yeah, some build up probably would have helped me go along with it. She rather seemed more like the type to combust rather than fall apart. Also, I rather liked the idea of a truly lethal, sociopathic villainess*. Don’t get me wrong, I loved some of it—like her mother issues—but that she lost her effectiveness as an antagonist to go all weepy disappointed me. What can I say, I’m never happy with what I’m given :P

*I like the wikipedia article on villains. You might be surprised by “A female villain is sometimes called a villainess (often to differentiate her from a male villain”. No way, right? XD

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

I agree with you guys. It seemed so sudden, from self-assured to nuts. But in retrospect, it does make some sense. Especially when it came to Ty Lee and Mai leaving her. She was so confident that she was the one in control, particularly with Ty Lee, that the idea that she could possibly stand up to Azula was just unthinkable. And when it really did happen, it dealt a pretty severe blow to Azula’s sense of self. She placed a lot of importance on her control of others.

And when it really did happen, it dealt a pretty severe blow to Azula’s sense of self. She placed a lot of importance on her control of others.

That is the biggest deal. I just think the show could have reinforced it just a tiny bit with one scene where Azula does something as if her friends are still there, and then realizes they’re not.

Or if we had just seen more with her and her friends. IIRC, other than the recruitment process, we never (or at least, very rarely) saw the three of them unless the mains were involved (counting Zuko here) so I never got a real sense of how their relationship worked. Maybe if there had been a “reverse” episode, one where we saw them like we normally did the gaang (only they’re the ones chasing, not the ones being chased).

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited

I agree and disagree. I don’t think Azula’s change in character was “too rushed,” but I do think that the puzzle wasn’t assembled correctly. In season 3 you could see Azula’s behavior change gradually as Mai and Ty Lee started to distance themselves from her. In my opinion, the problem was that there was a giant gap between episodes where they just forgot about Azula, so when they returned to her pov in the last few episodes it seemed a lot more sudden than it really was.

^+10 agreement with puppet.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012

Small Korra spoiler: (it won’t spoil the plot or anything like that)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited

So, I found 7 soundtracks from the show. Most of it is pretty similar to the soundtracks from TLA, but there are a few “1920s New Orleans Blues/Jazz” inspired tracks that sound really, really nice. Overall the soundtrack is top notch like it was in TLA, as you listen to it you just feel all kinds of awesome emotions.

Edit: Also, here’s the character bio for the “masked character” you’ve seen in a few trailers. Somewhat spoilery, though it doesn’t really state any specifics:

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012

Or, you could just listen to the soundtracks on YouTube.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012

Amon sounded a lot like Long Feng in the trailer. Who’s dead by now… Just sayin’.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012

The first two episodes are officially out!

Now off to go watch!

(It may be only for US viewers, though, unfortunately. :( )

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

NO WAY. THANK YOU, SWENSON. <3

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eeee, that was pretty much awesome and entirely made of win.

Aside from the story and characters—which I loved too—the animation was really nice, even nicer than the original. The colors in particular just looked really good. And yes, this is the sort of thing I notice. :P

I have to finish the original series before moving on to Korra. That’s okay, because I love Avatar too.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Gotta watch that later today.

But I already have so much (read: not a lot but I procrastinate) to do.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012 edited

This is my favorite TV show of all time. The animation, music, writing, everything was to top notch in my opinion. The fighting scenes definitely felt a lot more physical, and you could feel the oomf behind every blow. I really like the new characters, and I don’t say this lightly, but I think this series is going to be even better than TLA was.

I’m really, really excited for the next episode. All 40 minutes of that were awesome.

Edit: There are actually a ton of references I didn’t even catch myself:

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I didn’t catch most of those references either, although I did wonder about the Mako one.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

So yeah, I watched it, and it was certainly awesome. I thought some of the storytelling felt… blatant, almost, like it was obviously trying to get across certain things without being subtle or natural with it. And that last “scene” of the second episode… that just struck me as hilariously melodramatic and silly.

I thought it got off to a strong start, and I really like Korra herself so far. Consequently, I want MOAR

Oh wow thanks for telling me there were TWO episodes out. I thought there was only the first which I already watched. I had my worries of the show feeling weird but I liked the first episode. It had it’s funny moments just like the original series. I laughed so hard at the Zuko’s mum thing. I still don’t like how Aang apparently died pretty young (he must’ve been in his 70s if my maths is right) unless there is something sinister about his death that we’ll find out.

Second episode was good too. I wonder if Korra will get some permanent companions like Aang did or not. Since she’s going to be just in one city instead of travelling I guess she doesn’t need companions because she’ll always be close to everyone. I wonder how big this bending tournament thing and her teammates will be in the series.

How are there still flying bison?!?!?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012

Korra is supposed to take place 70 years after the first series, meaning Aang would’ve been 82, I believe.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Maybe those hundred years in the iceberg finally caught up to him.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Having slept on it, I feel more comfortable giving my thoughts.

In general, I like it. I like that Korra’s character is established so quickly, and through her actions instead of having everyone comment on how she acts. I liked Tenzin’s wife’s comment about having yet another child who can airbend. I really liked the mixing of the action and comedy, without it feeling jerkey.

Also, the fact that Republic City looks and feels like something out of the 1920s, with a slight East Asian aesthetic overlay. It makes a strange kind of sense.

What I didn’t like was the cliche endings of both episodes. Of course Tenzin agrees to let Korra stay in the city, and of course Tenzin and Korra realize that they were equally wrong. I understand why those had to be there, but I hope that they’re the exception rather than the standard.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

What I didn’t like was the cliche endings of both episodes. Of course Tenzin agrees to let Korra stay in the city, and of course Tenzin and Korra realize that they were equally wrong. I understand why those had to be there, but I hope that they’re the exception rather than the standard.

Yeah, that did bother me a little bit, but I feel like they were kind of forced to do that so they could set the scene for the show. One thing that really bothers me about a lot of children’s shows these days is that they always have to have some kind of “moral lesson” at the end, which creates this choppiness between episodes. I thought TLA flowed pretty smoothly from episode to episode, so hopefully TLOK will end up being the same way.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

That’s one thing I like about TLOK (gonna adopt that acronym now), especially in comparison to TLA, is that its characters feel very real. Maybe it’s just ‘cause I was never very analytical with TLA, but upon watching just two episodes of TLOK I feel like I can see the strengths and weaknesses of these characters, and it’s nice that they have weaknesses at all. I especially like the subtle-ish (in that they’re not directly called upon, but certainly evident) flaws of Korra, in how brash and un-understanding (there must be a better word for that that I’m not thinking of right now) she is.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

How are there still flying bison?!?!?

I was kind of wondering that too! They must’ve found some other flying bison somewhere, unless Appa suddenly turned out to be a pregnant female. And I really can’t believe I just typed that sentence.

I hope flying monkey lemurs (or whatever their official name is) show up again. I miss Momo… although I do love Korra’s polar bear dog.

Watching this made me feel like a little kid watching his favourite saturday morning cartoons again, except better.

Korra is supposed to take place 70 years after the first series, meaning Aang would’ve been 82, I believe.

But since Korra is 16 or 17 you take those years off. It’s been 70 years since Aang was 12 (well by the end of the series he was more 13) but he died 16 years ago. I think 70 is an estimation and it might be something like 75 I dunno.

I was kind of wondering that too! They must’ve found some other flying bison somewhere, unless Appa suddenly turned out to be a pregnant female. And I really can’t believe I just typed that sentence.

I hope flying monkey lemurs (or whatever their official name is) show up again. I miss Momo… although I do love Korra’s polar bear dog.

Maybe flying bison just split into lots of tiny bison and just keep splitting and splitting. I had almost forgotten about Momo and now I feel ashamed. I hope the polar bear dog gets as much personality as Momo and Appa.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012

But since Korra is 16 or 17 you take those years off. It’s been 70 years since Aang was 12 (well by the end of the series he was more 13) but he died 16 years ago. I think 70 is an estimation and it might be something like 75 I dunno.

Derp, I completely forgot about that.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012

Maybe flying bison just split into lots of tiny bison and just keep splitting and splitting.

Ahaha, that would be kind of hilarious. Or perhaps they reproduce by budding? One day Aang wakes up and there’s a baby flying bison sticking out of Appa’s side, just chilling.

The humour in reincarnation.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

Lawl.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012

Book 2:Chapter 1

Azula is batshit insane O.O

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012

Book 2:Chapter 1

You haven’t even see her bad side yet.

• CommentTimeApr 13th 2012

I suppose not, but she just reeks of psychopath. Actual, certifiable, psychopath. The thing with her hair, and her lightning not being good enough? She seems perpetually about to snap. Her calm/cold threatening of her captain? Her complete disregard for family in attempting to kill Zuko and Iroh? Yowza.

Also, Cave of Two Lovers was awesome. But…but… Omashu! In fire nation hands! Do not want! But badger moles! And Sokka’s maps! And Aang/Katara!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ohoho, yes, she is indeed a psychopath. And the tides bit? Amazing!

Azula: Do the tides command this ship?
    Fire Navy Ship Captain: I’m afraid I don’t understand.
    Azula: You said the tides would not allow us to bring the ship in. Do the tides command this ship?
    Fire Navy Ship Captain: No, Princess.
    Azula: And if I were to have you thrown overboard, would the tides think twice about smashing you against the rocky shore?
    Fire Navy Ship Captain: No, Princess.
    Azula: Well then, maybe you should worry less about the tides, who’ve already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who’s still mulling it over.

And… are you implying you’re Kataang? We may have to have words. :P

Also also, that’s where you first meet Mai, right? She of pointy things to throw at people?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Azula is batshit insane O.O

And you know a character’s bad when even Iroh thinks they need to be stopped.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Also also, that’s where you first meet Mai, right? She of pointy things to throw at people?

She of the most amazing deadpan?

(Mai shows up the first episode they enter Omashu while it’s under Fire Nation control, I believe.)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I never can decide whether I love Mai or hate her. Especially considering: (MAJOR SEASON 3 SPOILERS)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Season 3 again:

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Very interesting.

Just met Mai. Uh… you’re right about her deadpan. Yeech. Ty Lee is awesome. Therefore I assume she eventually ditches Azula, aka CRAZY LADY WHO SETS YOUR SAFETY NET ON FIRE AND THEN ADDS DEADLY ANIMALS.

hardcore Zutara fan

AGNI KAI

AT DAWN

BE THERE

• CommentTimeApr 14th 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hid it just in case there are people who haven’t seen it yet. >.>

I’m surprised at how far you are already. Its just going to get better and better.

• CommentTimeApr 14th 2012

Yeah, uh… sheepish

Anyway, poor Zuko. Loving the sympathetic villain with shades of gray. Not all “wheeeeeee ah’m evuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul!” crap like you get in some shows.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, occasionally Zuko is a bit emo, but overall he’s a really fleshed out and dynamic character. I’m not going to spoil anything, but he really develops as a character and “finds his own destiny” in season 3.

Yeah, his concern for Iroh made me SO HAPPY.

CACTUS JUICE! IT’S THE QUENCHIEST!

occasionally Zuko is a bit emo

I think it’s hilarious, personally.

Also, Zutara would have just been too weird. I can’t imagine him being mothered by Katara all the time. (Also, I like Mai, and I thought that the contrast between his temper and her deadpan was more interesting than Zutara, which was really predictable.)

• CommentAuthorSen

I think it’s hilarious, personally.

Which is exactly why I loved episode 17 in season 3.

spoilerish:

JET! Y U SUCH A DOUCHE FACE?

Also, Momo under the hat. Squee!

Appa’s Lost Days…

crying

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’m sorry, Willow, but comming right after Tales of Ba Sing Se, it’s not quite as moving.

Yes, I cried a little at the end of Iroh’s short. And if you didn’t, I’m fairly certain you don’t have a soul.

Um…I felt really sad for Iroh, but only cried for Appa. I mean, come on. He gets kidnapped, whipped, tied up, stabbed, starved, attacked with fire, and when he FINALLY escapes, he can’t find Aang, and he’s all sad, and lonely, and hungry, and his family is all dead and gone and when he ALMOST GETS TO AANG, he gets captured again and chained up :(

Sniffle

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, but Appa and Aang still have a chance to be reunited. Iroh and his son don’t. Plus, the ending of Iroh’s story is so beautifully contrasted with the rest of his short – he’s happy and upbeat for the first 7 minutes, then the last minute is a complete 180.

And I’m a bit more moved by what Iroh had to go through than by what happened to Appa. Empathizing more with the human than the animal.

Plus, Appa met Guru Pathik, who’s pretty cool.

They’re both sad, but Iroh’s segment is way sadder if you put any thought into it at all.

• CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

Yeah… it made me feel really sad, just not cry. And he has Zuko now, which is not the same thing, but at least it helps. I was also paying more attention during Appa’s Lost Days, so it resonated more.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited

Iroh’s segment is sadder than everything if you understand why it says “in memory of Mako”... :(

Anyway, I can agree that Azula is a horrible person and that Iroh is teh adorableness.

And Sansa? You’re up on that Agni Kai. I will fight you over it. You’ve got to know how crazy shippers of that particular ship can be.

You’ve got to know how crazy shippers of that particular ship can be.

I do, but it’s a battle that needs fighting.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

To the death, then? Or just to the pain?

DEATH

• CommentTimeApr 17th 2012

“Your Zuko costume is pretty good, but your scar is on the wrong side!”

“The scar’s NOT on the wrong side!!!”

Forever a lolz.

• CommentAuthorSen

Holy … how many episodes are you watching per day? And yes, that one was really funny.

Uh….I may have gone on a little spree on Friday night, Saturday afternoon/evening, and then been fitting episodes in since then as possible?

• CommentAuthorSen

Can you see straight?!!! What are you putting in the cupcakes? For the love of God don’t feed anyone the cupcakes!!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ahaha, that episode is so beautiful.

HOOOONOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRR!

• CommentTimeApr 18th 2012

Er… cupcakes are fine, lolz. Not quite as moist as I hope, but chocolate buttercream filling will help with that.

I think I saw something like this…

Season 1, scattered over the past two weeks in the evening. Season 2/3, scattered over Friday night, Saturday afternoon/evening, and a hint of Sunday evening. Big chunks=5-8 episodes in a row. Little chunks=1-3.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited

For what it’s worth, when I first started watching Avatar, I watched most of the first season in one day and all the way up to halfway through the second season by a couple days after that. Then I slowed down a little. So watching-a-lot-of-Avatar-because-it’s-awesome is a very common condition! :)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Considering I just did the same thing over the past few weeks, yes it is. Especially streaming with Netflix. They’re right there. Why shouldn’t I watch half a season in one sitting?

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

I managed to watch the series in three days. Even though I had a test.

I regret nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I think I watched them at a rate of a few episodes per day.

• CommentAuthorSen

Why shouldn’t I watch half a season in one sitting?

Because – because … you’ll fall right off your chair?

Ey, I was joking with her. Being a fan, I’m not going to be judging too harshly anyone who takes the show in large doses. It’s just not an option for me personally, as more than a couple hours in front of a screen will have my eyes glazed and my head just a little bit fuzzy afterwards. XD

I think I watched most of season 1 very slowly on Australian TV. And Aussie TV always sucks and probably never got to season 2. Then I wanted to see the show properly so I marathoned it probably over a few days and by the time I got to somewhere around the play episode I had caught up with the airings and there was some sort of hiatus. Then finally the last 6 or so episodes came out and I watched a live video stream of the finale with my girlfriend at the time. I think the colour was a bit saturated and it cut out once but it was cool.

Awesome story I know…

• CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

And… DONE.

OMGHOLYCRAPTHATWASSOAWESOMEIWANTMOREMOREMOREWHEREISMORENEEDMOREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Runs around in circles

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

And there’s a comic book that ties the events of ATLA’s finale with the beginning of Korra. You might want to read that.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

:D Glad you loved the ending! Because it was totally awesome.

This is from several episodes before the ending, I know, but didn’t you just love

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

• CommentAuthorSen

I’ll give Korra this: It sure as hell isn’t dragging its feet when it comes to pacing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012

Legend of Korra episode 3 spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Episode threeeee! Must watch this soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Non-spoiler: So far, I like Korra herself better than almost everybody in ATLA except Azula.

Azula>Iroh?