Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

You can watch it for (literally) free on Megavideo.

Is that the one with the red-plastic-looking “play” sign? ‘Cause last I looked, it didn’t have all of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010

You just have to look in the right places. Try Surfthechannel or Yidio for Megavideo links. The videos sometimes have weird names which is why you can’t always find them.

I’m fine with Netflix, really!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Waaaaahhhh!!! I’m so depressed now. :’(

Another brilliant article from io9: http://io9.com/5576076/m-night-shyamalan-finally-made-a-comedy. I’m pretty sure Charlie Jane Anders, who wrote the article, liked the show, which makes it even funnier.

Also, I refuse to watch this atrocity. In my mind, The Last Airbender has joined the third Matrix movie and the Doctor Who movie as not actually existing in my current continuity. Yay, retcons!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Meh, I suppose it would fall under discontinuity. But I prefer to think of it as a broader thing than simply a fan or two ignoring something.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited

Good review. I find it funny that Shyamalan kept saying his kids love the show and theyll hate him if he makes the movie suck so he cant afford to make it suck then he does. Though because I assume his kids are young and he's their dad theyll love it. But one day when theyve grown up I think theyll look back on the film and realise how awful it is but not have the courage to tell their father what they think, even though he will have plenty of bad reviews to tell him that. Doesnt he realise that while he put out some good films before he is now widely considered to be pretty bad? How does he still get directing jobs like this?

The review said something I've been thinking, that in a cartoon world a lot of things are more plausable like bending so it looks more natural and ok when they start using martial arts to move elements, but in live action it just looks silly and doesnt really feel like their martial arts is really moving things. Theyre just spinning on the spot, standing there or flailing their arms. But maybe with a better director/team they couldve made the live action bending work.

EDIT: that review swenson posted was awesome. I love funny intelligent reviewers.

Interesting bit of trivia I just found out: The guy that played Rufio in Hook is Zuko’s VA.

How does he still get directing jobs like this?

Because Hollywood has perpetuated this myth that a director is strong (which translates to “arrogant”) even if the critics pan him. And since M. Night has produced good movies, insane troll logic dictates that he should make more good movies.

I’m actually willing to cut him some slack and blame executive meddling on the cast, but apparently he wrote it, so I don’t feel any sympathy for him there at all.

The guy that played Rufio in Hook is Zuko’s VA.

Which is why my friend thinks he should have been Zuko, since he already acts.

Shymalan keeps getting work because most of his films have been successful at the box office. AFAIK Lady in the Water was his only true flop so far. Hopefully this will tank as well and he’ll be done for awhile.

He may still not be done even after this though, since there’s gonna be somebody willing to bet on him.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Also, Zuko’s VA is Asian anyway (Filipino, I guess), so if Shyamalawhozit really was deadset on having a non-white Zuko, it was already covered.

GRAARGAHRHAHGRAHRGAHGRAHGLE, whyyyy can’t Hollywood just leave the source material alone?!

• CommentAuthorRocky

I can't hold Ebert's review with much regard. He already condemned the casting for the film, so his review just screamed of bias to me. And there's nothing in the film that even surreptitiously alludes to this taking place in the future, only the well-known premise that the nations once lived in peace until the Fire Nation invaded, followed by the century-long absence of the Avatar. That was major lack of attention on Ebert's part.

And I don’t recall seeing, hearing, or noticing Iroh drinking coffee. He mentions tea, but never coffee.

So no, “this coffee is bland”? No Iroh being evil and planning to kill Zuko?

Thank God for that.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. So no, “this coffee is bland”? No Iroh being evil and planning to kill Zuko?

No. None of that. At least, I don't recall that line, as I was fairly conscious throughout the film of Iroh's love of tea. As for him being evil and planning to kill Zuko:

Edit: And I can totally side with Zuko's VA's perspective. The guy makes sense without waxing vitriol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT

Sorry for all the questions. I’m reading fan reactions so I don’t have to waste money on a Razzie.

Also, can I say I love Dante’s response? It’s essentially, “I didn’t get it, and I’m not mad about it personally, but it’s really, really unfair to minority actors, so I’m not seeing it opening weekend.” ♥.♥

• CommentAuthorRocky

No. I'm pretty sure nothing of that sort ever came about.

Now currently formulating a stronger opinion, I'd say wait until it gets to a cheaper theater. It's enjoyable on a rudimentary level, and some of the acting is pretty good. But, like I said, it's too short, which results in what I think will be an underwhelming experience for longtime fans of the show and a confusing or even empty experience for those unfamiliar with it.

But, like I said, it’s too short, which results in what I think will be an underwhelming experience for longtime fans of the show and a confusing or even empty experience for those unfamiliar with it.

From what I heard, it was longer, but they cut it to work in the 3D (shorter time = less stuff to convert).

• CommentAuthorRocky

Yeah, that was a stupid decision. I would've figured the colossal failure from the identical attempt for _Clash of the Titan_ would've been a visible red flag.

I would’ve figured the colossal failure from the identical attempt for Clash of the Titan would’ve been a visible red flag.

I think they thought that it wouldn’t matter to the fans. That was one miscalculation in a massive pile of miscalculations.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010

"Here's Moviebob's review":http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1849-The-Last-Airbender, for any interested (if it isn't obvious, I'm a fan of his reviews).
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

Have you seen any of his Game Overthinker vids?

• CommentAuthorRocky

Yep. I've watched most of them.

I love Toph’s face in that. :)

• CommentAuthorRocky

And they're all in character. Fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010 edited

After seeing Moviebob’s review I sorta want to see it…

Also, I love Zuko in that pic. xD

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010

That /is/ a good review. Not necessarily a positive one, but a fair one that highlights how not everything in the movie is bad. Unlike… just about every other review. I kind of feel like giving it a shot again.

Helps that I consider Unbreakable and Signs two of the greatest movies ever :) I haven’t seen Shyamalan’s last two, this seems like it might be more worthwhile than they were.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010 edited

They said in the comments that the Ember Island Players version is better than the movie.

The episode ends with the group walking back to the beach house talking about how the play was absolutely terrible, but Sokka thinks the effects were decent, at least.‎

I think they’re right.

So… how about that Earthbending?

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010

Ugh… I saw the movie last night. Don’t repeat my mistake. It’s bad, and not even in the lulzy way. Like, worse than Dragon Ball: Evolution bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I haven’t seen Dragon Ball, but…yeah, same here. The only consolation I have is that it only cost about $10 for me and my brother to see it.

I’m rewatching episodes in order to get Shyamalan’s shitstain out of my head. After seeing it for the first time in two years, the Sozin’s Comet finale still holds up well.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I love the music that plays in those 4 eps.

Here’s your promo pic of Legend of Korra.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010

...I feel stupid for not knowing what you are talking about.

A sequel show, bro. It’s okay to get excited now.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010

Made by the same people? If yes, I will now squee and fangurl.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010 edited

Avatar: Legend of Korra is an upcoming television series set in the Avatar universe. The title was trademarked by Nickelodeon in May 2010 and leaked by the media shortly afterward; more information was revealed in late June 2010, just prior to the release of the feature film The Last Airbender.[1][2]

Nickelodeon is currently staffing up for production,[3][4] adding that Avatar: The Last Airbender co-creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are involved and that more information will be forthcoming at a later date, possibly Comic-Con 2010.[5] This tweet shows that there will be a character named Meelo in the series. [1] The tweet also says there will be a character named Wei Bei. [6]

Korra is the next Avatar after Aang, “a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe.” Aang’s son “Tenzin” is her Airbending teacher. [7]

On July 21, the Associated Press confirmed the series for a 2011 release, as well as confirming Korra will be a Southern Water Tribe-affiliated Avatar who is hotheaded, independent and “ready to take on the world”.[8][9] “Legend of Korra” takes place 70 years after “Avatar: The Last Airbender.”[10]

One of the story’s settings is “Republic City, a “metropolis powered by steampunk-type technology,” “inhabited by people from all nations.” Here Korra must deal with rampant crime and an anti-bender revolt.[11]

This is going to be freaking awesome. Steampunk, hell yeah. Hopefully it will be a liiiiitle bit more serious then Avatar: The Last Airbender. It sounds like it might, with the mention of all the street crime. I am so excited right now.

And here’s a slightly bigger version of that promo pic:

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010 edited

YES YES YES thank you for the information. How the hell did I not find out about this sooner? I knew there was going to be some new series ages ago and have been waiting for news for it forever. And they did exactly what I thought/wanted: they skipped to the next Avatar. I thought thatd be pretty cool because then hopefully we’ll see Aang be Korra’s spirit guide person like Roku was to him. So it’ll be interesting to see what Aang looks like all old and stuff. And the storyline sounds pretty cool. Though because of the time skip it doesnt seem like we’re gonna find out anything about Zuko’s mum…

•  
      CommentAuthorthat girl
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010

It was a good show but I hold a grudge against it when my bestist best friend moved away and leagaly changed her name to Katara after the obvious and it really hurt.

^^...wait, what?

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010

Seriously, it’s true. She changed her name to Katara, and it made that girl so upset that she was willing to bash anyone that dared to say “Katara” in her presence, until Katara struck a deal with that girl.

Me, I don’t really care.

I only wish that the Last Airbender have captions. Unfortunately they don’t have captions for Hard of Hearing. upset

I still dont get it…

I’ve been thinking about the whole “70 years has passed” thing and if we are to take 70 years literally, it makes no sense at all. Let’s assume Korra is 15. So that means Aang died 55 years after the ending of the first series. So he died at the ripe old age of 67… what the hell? Well ok maybe it wasnt from old age and it was him being killed like how Roku died before he shouldve. But thats still a bit mean of the writers.
    And Aang’s son would be anywhere from age 50 – 60 me thinks. So what he’s now the last airbender and only available teacher? Or the people releasing the info failed to mention they had several kids.
    Maybe they shouldve skipped more than 70 years so that the airbenders were finally beginning to repopulate. And I wonder if any of the characters are still alive. It’d be interesting to see a really old Sokka, Zuko or Toph. An old Katara might just be sad cos she’d be all without her Aangy.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010

Zuko better still be Fire Lord, or I’m going to be very sad indeed. Or maybe we can finally get a waterbender/firebender ship with his son and this girl?

Please, no ships. The Kataang/Zutara wars were what turned me off the series for a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorthat girl
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010

hold on happycrab91 did you just SPOIL THE AVATAR THE LAST AIR BENDER MOVIE for the Aussies ect. without a spoiler alert?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No? I merely evaluated the information Puppet posted about the spin-off cartoon series set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender. The live-action movie is something different and there isn’t really anything to spoil. It’s more or less the same as the first season just super shit. It is kinda bullshit how we’re getting the movie so late and it’ll hurt the ticket sales a lot because everyone has heard how bad it is.

I’ve been thinking about the whole “70 years has passed” thing and if we are to take 70 years literally, it makes no sense at all. Let’s assume Korra is 15. So that means Aang died 55 years after the ending of the first series. So he died at the ripe old age of 67… what the hell? Well ok maybe it wasnt from old age and it was him being killed like how Roku died before he shouldve. But thats still a bit mean of the writers.
    And Aang’s son would be anywhere from age 50 – 60 me thinks. So what he’s now the last airbender and only available teacher? Or the people releasing the info failed to mention they had several kids.
    Maybe they shouldve skipped more than 70 years so that the airbenders were finally beginning to repopulate. And I wonder if any of the characters are still alive. It’d be interesting to see a really old Sokka, Zuko or Toph. An old Katara might just be sad cos she’d be all without her Aangy.

My friends and I tried to figure this out. Remember, most Avatars (except Aang) find out when they’re sixteen. Let us assume that Korra found out at sixteen. At the time of the show, she has already mastered fire, earth, and water, and needs to learn air from Aang’s son. Let’s say she was a prodigy and only took a year per element, that makes her nineteen. 70-19 is 51, so Aang was 51+12 at the time of the series, so he was 63, give or take. Let’s say he had his son at eighteen, six years after the series. 70-(19+6)=45, so Aang’s son is 45.

Still, Aang was really young (especially since Avatars can live so long). But, it means we can still see old Zuko and Mei as Firelords! And old Toph and Sokka! AND STEAMPUNK!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010

Very random thought:

70 years isn’t really that much time to pass for the barriers between countries to break down. So I’m guessing the four nations still exist, especially because there’s a reference to someone from the Southern Water Tribe. So where is this Republic City? At first, I was wondering if it’s Ba Sing Se made over somehow (because that’s pretty much the biggest city I know of in the series), but now I’m wondering if it’s on neutral territory or something. Again, 70 years isn’t that much time. I’m not sure it’s enough time for a pre-existing city to become that diverse, so now I’m thinking Republic City is probably a new city somewhere different.

Also, io9’s conclusion: “We’re guessing that Korra becomes Republic City’s Batman, of sorts.” Which sounds awesome.

Oh I forgot about the whole Avatars usually being told at 16 and her having already learnt 3 of the elements. So in a way this “book” will be “air” to complete the cycle name theme thingy. Another possible way it couldve been air is if it went back to Aang’s life before knowing he was Avatar and running away so we’d see him learn airbending and see the world how it was back then when he hanged with Bumi and Kuzon and such. But what they decided to do is better and was what I was hoping for. But yeah 70 years isnt long enough a gap me thinks.

Another thing to think about is how many airbenders there are now. Did Aang and Katara have more than one kid? Did Aang sex it up with many other women to help the repopulation? Does his son have a kid? It’s gonna take forever to get a decent amount of airbenders again.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010

Really? I thought I had heard that Katara was still alive somewhere… Also, some people said it was going to be a mini-series.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010

NO NO NO YOU MADE ME WATCH THE SAD SONG! ;_;

goes off to cry

SO its 75 years to be more specific? Still doesnt change much about it not making much sense that everyone is dead. Aang died too early and I wanna see old Katara, Zuko, Toph and Sokka. And having 3 episodes recorded makes me hopeful that this series isnt too far away from airing. Yay!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010

Yay! Even if he isn’t playing Zuko any more… :(

Also, I didn’t know Andrea Romano was connected to Avatar! I like her twice as much now!

I’ve been catching up on Avatar. Yeah I know I could watch it for free, but Netflix helps keep me motivated and timing of it. (which, yes, I will resume the watching when I’m back from vacation)

Hooray I’ve been waiting for more info on this, though thats not much. Unless he changes his voice enough it’ll be weird hearing the same exact voice as another character unless the character is Zuko’s son. The only other role I have heard him in is that Jake the Dragon dude who sounds essentially like Zuko as a home dawg.

Oh Nate you review every episode? Well then I might have to read them all.

I declare my love for you. I really hope there was a lot of cool information about it revealed at comic-con and I hope there’s a good video of the panel. Panels are always fun to watch. As for the trailer it feels odd to me but I’ll adjust. I loved the statue of a slightly older badass Aang. And did Appa somehow learn to breed by himself? And was that several people flying around on gliders at one point?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011 edited

Me likey the trailer. I love the look (different from the original, but still with that Avatar whimsy—and different is good!), I like the character designs (both Korra and the fire girl… assuming they’re different characters who just happen to have similar hair), I loved that there was a sky bison, and I am so very, very excited!

Some people were speculating the firebending girl is Korra, but there’s a point in the trailer where you clearly see Korra in her typical Water Tribe dress firebending (which was kind of exciting on its own, as I thought she was learning airbending the first season… then again, technically Aang sort of learned firebending the first season too, he just didn’t use it again until the third), and I don’t know why she’d suddenly change to a bright red costume. But I suppose we’ll find out, right?

ohmygoodness SO EXCIIIIITEEEEED SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Also, was that a DETECTIVE? In a classy FEDORA?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

Steampunk. <3

I only wish it wasn’t a mini series.

Yeah, that looks freaking awesome. I’m pretty sure the firebending girl is Korra, but wearing training gear of some sort.

@puppet, well it was going to be 12 or 13 episodes or something but is now over 20. I think 24. So still a bit mini compared to the other one having 3 seasons but it’s still a decent amount. I want to know if they tagged on the extra episodes after the 12th or changed things to squeeze the others in the middle.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

I. CAN’T. WAIT.

Republic City looks like it’s going to be such a cool setting.

Eh I still wished there was a Book 4 of the original series and not just that trilogy of graphic novels "The Promise" (if you guys don't know about this then I think you've lived under a rock for the past EVER).

But the credits were nice enough. Not as epic as the original's, but still decent.

I may sound like a nostalgia-douche ... and I guess I am :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011 edited

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But why was the video flipped…?

I still want to know what the situation is with the extra episode; whether they somehow dragged the storyline out to 24 after having probably already completed the first few and writing others, or if a mini plot ends at episode 12 and then there’s a new one after. Or what. I dunno.

The video is flipped so people can't claim copyright I think.

I think it's just gonna be two seasons long, but with 12-14 episodes each. I think Nickelodeon liked the new series so much they wanted to make it longer and greenlit more episodes. Works for me :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The video is flipped so people can’t claim copyright I think.

Correct. Publishers give a sample of their stuff to YouTube which will search the database for matches. By flipping the video and distorting the audio you can effectively hide it from YouTube.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OH MAN.

SO HAPPYYYY.

This had better be awesome.

Ohhhhh makes sense.

And yes it better.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

This had better be awesome.

I thought I read somewhere that the show would be more “serious” and that Korra would be fighting crime or something. I’m hoping there will be some kind of The Dark Knight type action. :P

I just realized something, that guy wearing the mask at the end of the trailer…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

Erm… Ozai? He’s about all I can think of. Well, and the Blue Spirit, but technically the Blue Spirit showed his face plenty.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

maybe he stole some faces and something happened and then he

oh i give up

Nick Some guy’s leaking more clips of Korra.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012

Also, there’s supposedly going to be way more episodes than originally announced, which is a good thing, I suppose.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

There’s four clips here and they are all made of so much win, I just don’t even know what to say.

Impressions hidden for spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The more I see on the Legend of Korra the more weird it seems. It just feels so off. I hope I can get over that.

Yeah, the voice acting seemed a little off to me too.

And what Katara said about Sokka and her friends - MY CREYS D:

I'm gonna be entirely honest, I'll never like The Legend of Korra as much as I loved the original series. All I want is a Book 4 and I'll be happy D:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Sokka has such wonderful wording. And Jet is just so talkative.

And Aang is creepy.

“Hey, I’m the Avatar, bender of fire, water, and all that. But this time, I want you to bend… over.”

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

“My girlfriend turned into the moon. My place?”

(No I do not think it makes much sense.)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

“Hey, I’m the Avatar, bender of fire, water, and all that. But this time, I want you to bend… over.”

Technically speaking, Katara could force people to bend over, if you know what I mean…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Speaking of Zuko’s heart burning for people, I was rewatching the Chibi Avatar episodes the other day. They’re so hilarious and cute!

For those who have never seen them (or want to see them again), here they all are:
    Bending Battle
    Swamp Skiin’ Throwdown
    School Time Shipping (my favorite)

“I did not see that coming.”

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Why are we ruining a family-friendly show like this.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh please, family-friendly? You have seen the beach episode, right? :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Which beach?

(Also, what are those Chibi things? They have the actual voice actors, but they aren’t posted by an official channel….)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The chibi videos were from one of the DVDs, that’s why they’re not on official channels. And the beach episode was in the third season, after Zuko goes back with Azula, and features some… surprising swimsuits. As TVTropes puts it, they certainly show off Ty Lee’s, ah, character growth.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Oh, cool.

Ah, so Ember Island? ...Uh, I don’t even remember the swimsuits. I kinda didn’t notice amongst the actual character development and Azula’s bizarre flirting attempts.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited

Ty Lee is the master of subtlety. ;)