Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

You may know what it is, or you may not. If you don't, ghostwriting is when an author, usually a pretty popular one *coughJamesPatterson* gets someone else to write his/her books for them. The original author usually writes out some sort of plan, or at least looks over the book before it's published.

Me? I hate it. I think it's annoying and cheap. I'm buying a book because I want to read an author's style, not a cheap imitation. I was so disappointed when my suspicion of K.A. Applegate's Animorph series came true - half of them were ghostwritten.

So...opinions, anyone?
    • CommentAuthorCodeWizard

The only one I’d ever ghostwrite for is myself.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It’s why ‘celebrity’ ‘autobiographies’ exist. Publishers are obsessed with these ‘celebrity’ ‘autobiographies’, making it harder for good writers to be published. Therefore, ghost writing is generally a bad thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Only half? I thought practically all of the Animorph books were ghostwritten? I thought I would be disappointed with Animorphs, but I wasn't. The writing isn't worth shouting to the rooftops about, it's the continued characterisation and storylines that I love. How much Applegate influenced that, I don't know.

I agree with you, it’s pretty cheap. They should give credit on the front cover, “Created by _______, written by ______.”

I heard someone say that they thought The Host was ghostwritten, because it was so much better than Twilight. Hmm…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I hate it when writing sinks this low.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I doubt it, because I think the relationships in The Host are just as pathetic and shallow as they are in Twilight. However, it is better than Twilight, but it’s not like that’s a huge accomplishment.

I really don’t see how it’s possible to write a great story that did not come from within your own mind.

I guess it would depend on how much room the ghostwriter was given for their own creativity. Actors work from the confines of the writer’s script, but competent enough actors can make a mediocre script exciting. But a mediocre script means that fundamentally, it would be shallow…

So I guess the best it could ever get is ‘good’.

When you create a story, you know the hidden connections behind your presentation and can write it well. If you’re given a premade story, it’s all guesswork.

Meh, ghostwriting never really appealed to me. I always considered it to be cheating, and rather low.

Same.

Also, I hate it how the ghostwriter never gets any credit. It’s not fair.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

Well, I know Applegate always dedicated the book to the ghostwriter.

But it was never said why. :P

The Babysitters’ Club books were mostly ghostwritten by Peter Lerangis.

I would never ghostwrite something. I prefer the credit too much :). For this reason, and the fact that people wouldn’t be getting my writing, but someone else’s, I’d never let anyone ghostwrite for me.

I really don’t see how it’s possible to write a great story that did not come from within your own mind.

You can’t, but that doesn’t mean people won’t like it. Take the Nancy Drew series. I picked the plot apart in elementary school (they were the first novels I ever read) and that didn’t stop me from reading them for fun on and off through middle school.

I wonder if there’s an inverse relationship between quality and popularity.

• CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

There’s a kind of a parabolic relationship, yes.

• CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009

The BSC books...no! Man, I used to love those books, when I was like...nine. How could Martin betray me like that?

I think… I think ghostwriting is okay when you don’t care about the author. Like James Patterson. I couldn’t care less that he’s ghostwritten. Alexander McCall Smith, however, I would be very unhappy about.

@Ari: She wrote at least the first 10.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited

Ghostwriting seems lazy to me. You shouldn’t have someone do all the hard work for you.

I don't like ghostwriting. I agree that it's like cheating, and the actual author should get credit, not just the one who came up with the idea.
    • CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

I’m quite sure that the fourth Max Ride book was ghostwritten. Or at least I hope so, becuse it was terrible.

I’m 99.999% sure it was. The fifth as well. Also note that they are called “Maximum Ride Adventures”, and not “Maximum Ride: Insert Title Here”, like the previous three. I also think the second might have had a slight ghostwriting air, because of all the plot points that were dropped. Like Iggy’s dad, the zombie, or the disappearing credit card.

I hope that the fourth and fifth were. They were aweful. I liked the first three, but now everyone is just sprouting random, stupid powers (other than Angel), and it is their duty to stop global warming. They were supposed to save the world from an evil plot to reduce the population of the earth by half, or something like that. Now they are saving it from pollution. All of the adult characters (especially the villians) have become ridiculously immature. That is my rant, the abridged version.

I want to see the unabridged version!

Lol.

The unabridged version is very long. Maybe I can make it into a coherent article for the main site.

Sounds good. That’s where all rants should end up, right? On websites?

Yes, yes they should. It makes ranters such as myself feel important.

no, seriously, do it. Make it into an article. I think you could bring a lot to the discussion!

Wow, that sounds so epically group therapy.

I am going to probably, but I have to look through the books to find examples. I’m too lazy to that at the moment, but I will soon. It will be nice to organize my rantings.

Yes, it gives you that tidy feeling of 'I seriously rock at this'...