Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Steph demanded it, and how could I say no? Anyhow, that sucks Steph! I have the good luck of finding really good voice teachers, but I know what having a bad music teacher can be like. :P

AURGHHH!! Where did the— oh. You deleted the whole thread and made a new one. You could’ve just clicked ‘edit’ on your original post and that would let you change the title. Whoopsidaisies.

And don’t gloat :)

Oops… Sorry, the mucous is starting to get to me…
    Gloat? About what? looks around innocently ;)

Oh, yeah, you’re sick aren’t you? I just got over being sick. I had to put off a singing lesson (mixed blessing and curse!) till… gasps this Thursday! I need to practice! Well, it’s too late to do it now without waking everyone up. How sick are you?

I have a stuffy nose and a scratchy throat, so it’s not too bad. I hate my voice when I’m sick, but it helps to sing; as you have to open your mouth wider than usual, the mucous leaves me alone for a bit. ;)

Have you tried steam inhalation?

No, I’ve been using a salt-water spray; that’s been working pretty well. :D In the mean time, I’ve just been drinking liters of tea.

I hate tea.

How do you use a salt-water spray?

Well, I had some left over from when I had the flu. You basically stick the little nozzle up your nose and spray. After a while, the snot comes.. er… down and then you blow it out. Sorry if that’s a bit too graphic…

You hate tea? Oh wait never mind, I knew that. Well, it soothes my throat, if only for a few minutes. I like putting a lot of sugar in it. :D

:D thereby defeating any goodness you might have gotten out of it. And no, it’s not too graphic. Fact of life.

Apple and guava juice works wonders for me.

As long as it’s warm… ;) Wow, that whole conversation was really off-topic… ;P

Technically, we’re still talking about singing… and… you know… singing-related stuff. Apple and guava may save your voice one day.

Okay. Singing talk. Whose voice do you want to have? I’d love a Kelly Clarkson/Amy Lee/Beyonce mix. Of course, never gonna happen, buuuut…. Girl can dream.

I’m a soprano, but I can sing alto. I also a had a brief stint as an alto in middle school, which I hated because that teacher made the altos sing tenor.

How. Does. That. Work.

Really? Huh, I can sing a bit of soprano if you put it like that then… ;) What type of voice? I dunno, one like Enya; I think Amy Lee’s amazing as well… But NOT like Sarah Brightman… I’ve never thought about that before; I listen to mostly guys singing; probably because I can’t deal with breathyness… ;)

I don’t know. Apparently it does, because the tenors sang soprano.

@ Alien: falsetto?? (Not that I know everything about this.) (and can you resurrect Mary Sue Therapy before I have to go to bed?)

I dislike Sarah Brightman. Haven’t heard Enya. If you don’t want breathyness, try Destiny’s Child or Delta Goodrem, maybe?

I like Destiny’s Child; nothing too special, but nice. Are you in a choir by any chance?

Used to be, before I got too old, moved to high-school, and found that there was no choir to go into. Now I just sing at church. Yesterday was awesome. The harmonies were great, and (i just have to boast about this!) I’m the only one who ever does third-part harmonies, so nobody was intruding on my territory!

@ Alien: falsetto?? (Not that I know everything about this.) (and can you resurrect Mary Sue Therapy before I have to go to bed?)

Nope. Actual soprano. Then again, it was middle school, but there were a lot of boys who had already or were in the process of changing their voices.

That would explain a lot. I think. I don’t know. It’s late.

Yeah, I love getting solos that can’t really be heard, like harmonies. ;) (That was serious, sorry, it sounded a bit sarcastic)

Lol, it did sound sarcastic. I’m not quite sure what you mean, either :)

Hmm… I meant sort of like when (this is what I do) there are a whole bunch of people singing a harmony and then you make up your own. The audience can hear that your singing something different, but they can’t exactly tell what you’re singing. Although, this may just be because I’ve never had to perform for a musically educated audience. ;)

Oh, yeah, that. I love that. I love listening to it and trying to figure it out, too :)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

Hello, I’m an alto. ^^

Hi Spanman! It’s nice to know that Steph and me weren’t the only ones. ;)

EDIT: Steph and I Sorry, it’s the other way round in French and I get confused… o.O

I’m a soprano. (I feel so special to be tolerated)

I’d love to hear a trio with Amy Lee, Simone Simons, and Tarja Turunen. Would be epic!

Ditto. Hee hee, glad you feel special! ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Hey, I’m welcomed!

I’ve sadly only had one summer’s worth of voice lessons, but I sing often enough to remember how to find harmonies and whatnot, so yay. ^^

Yeah, I’m singing along to Muse right now, and I can’t help but add in all these different harmonies… ;)

I do that all the time with Evanescence. Although Evanescence usually already has some harmony, so I just sing along to that.

But yes, harmony is awesome!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I have a thing for finding unwritten harmonies in hymns – usually somewhere between the tenor and alto parts… XP It’s definitely not because my range is terrible and I sometimes can’t reach even bits of the alto… >>

In hymns? Wicked! I tend to make up my own harmony parts when ever I sing along to something, even when there’s already a harmony part being sung… Ahh, the woes of being an alto. faints dramatically

Ha ha, OK, I’m back up now! Anyhow, I tend to make my harmonies either ridiculously high, or between the tenor and alto parts. I love it when people nudge me in choir and whisper “you’re singing the wrong notes!” Then I start singing even louder. ;)

I don’t know where my harmonies lie. They just pop up.

Yes, randomness is awesome. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yay! Altos have all the fun. :D

Agreed. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

At my church, we sing a capella, so I always get to do nice harmony bits. :)

I’m an alto too, although my range isn’t very large. I had to be a soprano in eighth grade choir… I mean, it was OK, but kind of boring. You just have to sing the melody, but all the interesting bits go to the altos!

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

(... I think I will have to be just tolerated 'round here...)

You sing Rand?

•  
      CommentAuthorRand

Not in the Academy’s chorus or anything fancy. Just with the hair-blower on!

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Yay, Altos!

I did choir all through school (although retrospectively middle school choir was cringeworthy). I sang soprano until my junior year of high school, then switched to alto. It's much better for my range. I can do two and a half octaves centering around middle c.

Anyone else think some sopranos get kinda shrill and whiny? The breathiness is much less annoying that the shrillness.

Yeah, I notice that too. I have a friend who likes to sing really high and can hit some really high notes. I tell her that the moment it stops being beautiful, it doesn’t matter whether you can hit the note or not.

Exactly! Don't break my ear drums, they didn't do anything to merit sonar assault.

I like being a mezzo-soprano though. You get to harmonise sometimes and sometimes you get the melody.

I like being a mezzo-soprano though. You get to harmonise sometimes and sometimes you get the melody.

I love being a mezzo. I can sing some smoky pieces and be back in time for Handel’s Messiah. (that song kills your vocals chords. First it beats them to unconsciousness, then ties them up and kidnaps them where it plays sick games until they die.)

Ooh, Handel hated EVERYONE. Remember those really long runs where you can't breathe for like two pages, and the notes hop all over the place and there are sharps and flats and accidentals and sixteenth notes and.... DIE HANDEL!!!

Ooh, Handel hated EVERYONE. Remember those really long runs where you can’t breathe for like two pages, and the notes hop all over the place and there are sharps and flats and accidentals and sixteenth notes and…. DIE HANDEL!!!

Yes!

Really? I liked singing Handel…

• CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

It sounds pretty, but it is so HARD!

Well, I only sang one song, and it was pretty short, so that may have something to do with my fondness towards Handel. ;)

• CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

Yeah... we did about an hour and a half worth of Handel. By the end I'm pretty sure my entire choir would have willingly dug him up and brought him back to life just so we could kill him again.

Oh. Wow, that’s horrible. I would’ve killed the director though; jeez, why would he put anyone through that hell?

Aww. never sang Handel. Can’t feel your pain. Anyone got a link?

To the song?

Song, sheet music (it must be public domain by now!), anything…

It’s a pretty well-known song… hold on… try this

You have to sign up to download, but if you get the free trial you can get it for free and then never use it again.

Thanks. Confession time: I didn’t actually check out the link. I might when JulNo is over. curses