Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013

He’s male. All males are obsessed with dinosaurs at some point in their lives.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Usually pre-school to Grade 2 at least. I know I was haha.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

All males are obsessed with dinosaurs at some point in their lives.

Not me. Puts on shades

All males are obsessed with dinosaurs at some point in their lives.

My brother took it a good deal farther than most…but now he’s more into Star Wars and video games.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Define “further than most”.

@Soup – liar. Everyone thinks dinosaurs are cool at some point. Because, let’s face it, they are. See the success of Jurassic Park for proof.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Not just because the movie has dinosaurs, but because it used them so well. The build up for the T-Rex reveal? Cinematic gold.

Jurassic Park owns. I’d love to go see it if they were having a plain old rerelease, but I don’t go in for any of that 3D nonsense.

Not me. Puts on shades

I hope you’re doing that to hide your identity because your admission marked you as horrifically uncool.

Define “further than most”

He has at least 300 dinosaur figurines, 5 scientific books about dinosaurs (did he read them or just look at the pictures? Debatable). He wouldn’t shut up about the accuracy or inaccuracy about portrayals of dinosaurs in popular culture for at least 8 years, and on the Jurassic Park ride in Universal, he was so happy to see the T-Rex at the top that he kept yelling, ‘my friend, my friend!’ before we plunged off the waterfall.

It was cute, but I’ve had enough of dinosaurs now.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

@Soup – liar. Everyone thinks dinosaurs are cool at some point. Because, let’s face it, they are. See the success of Jurassic Park for proof.

No, don’t get me wrong, I love dinosaurs. I was just never obsessed with them.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013 edited

Dinosaurs are okay. I’d have been much more interested in, say, Pleistocene Park. Just imagine a short-faced bear escaping its enclosure, or being chased down by a pack of dire wolves or a pride of sabre-tooth cats.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I think the happiest day of my life was when I discovered dire wolves were real things.

The Hunger Games is on Netflix streaming now, so I figured I might as well watch it. I wasn’t terribly impressed. The performances were fine, but the story had some real issues. I don’t really get what all the fuss was about.

Was it the whole issue as to how the dystopia was supposed to function without any kind of downfall?

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013 edited

That kind of stuff doesn’t bother me much, though yeah, the setting doesn’t really make sense. What really bugged me was how schizophrenic it was in portraying Katniss’s position in the story. It seemed like the overall tone and that other Movie Stuff wanted the viewer to think she was an underdog in over her head, surviving a bad situation by the skin of her teeth and whatnot, as is usually the case in stories like these.

But when it came to the actual tangible stuff that happened within the story, that aspect fell apart. Side characters fall all over themselves from the jump telling her how special she is and how she’s going to win, and she gets a higher survival rating number thinger than any of the other contestants, including kids who have apparently trained since birth for it. When you consider that, Katniss is the favorite to win even within the world of the story(setting aside the fact the viewer knows she’ll win since she’s the protagonist). It turns the whole endeavor into Katniss punking kids empirically weaker than herself, and that’s kinda lame.

It kills the sense of danger in a story that hinges entirely on the protagonist being in danger.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013

Watching Judge Dredd right now.

EY ERM THE LER!

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I just watched Iron Man yesterday.
    Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Watching Judge Dredd right now.

What a coincidence – I watched Dredd Friday night. While the second is more faithful to the source material, I do like the way Mega City 1 is depicted in the earlier one. At least there it looked like the future, rather than just some generic city.

Also, I watched John Dies at the End last night. It was great – really nailed the mix of humor and horror.

It turns the whole endeavor into Katniss punking kids empirically weaker than herself, and that’s kinda lame.

I know what you mean- I read the book, and didn’t see the movie, but it seemed to me that Katniss was sort of morally exempt from all the terrible things the Hunger Games force you to do to survive.

Yeah. I thought that Rue’s death was a bit of a copout… in fact, it would have been more interesting to examine what would have happened if they had been the last two. Sorry Peeta, your “I want to die myself” spiel just doesn’t feel genuine. @SWQ, the movie is better since you don’t get the internal monologue from robot Katniss. Seriously, EVERYTHING always seems to go in Katniss’ favor. And did anyone else feel like Cinna and Haymitch were deliberately manipulating Peeta and Katniss to set up the rebellion? THAT would have been a more interesting story! There’s enough shades to make it a possibility, and yet we’re stuck inside Katniss’ head.

I hate first person so goddamn much. In the movie, Katniss is a bit more relateable.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@sansa – re: Hunger Games: I don’t recall the books being quite so fawny, so maybe that’s just a result of the movie showing more of other people?

@Willow – I was rooting for Katniss to have to kill Rue too. That’s horrible, yes, but so’s the Hunger Games. They force you into doing terrible things to survive… and Katniss basically got off free without having to do anything too terribly bad.

@swenson The books are pretty fawny, but Katniss also has a lot of “oh I suck Peeta is so pure” moments. It’s weird. I think it’d have been interesting if Katniss and Rue had been last two of three, and Katniss had taken her out by lacing something with nightlock, THEN apologized/sung her to sleep. Then covered her with flowers while sobbing.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I hate first person so goddamn much.

It isn’t that bad if the narrator has a particular voice and/or isn’t incredibly annoying. Being really snarky also helps.

@Willow
    The nightlock but would’ve been good. Honestly, I would have settled for her having to kill Peeta (which she is prepared to do in the book when she points the bow at him, but they cut that from the movie). With regards to get high skill rating, I think the book says the gamemakers sometimes rate tributes higher because that makes the others want to kill them right away, and Katniss had just pissed them off. It is implied though that her rating really is just because she’s so special.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It isn’t that bad if the narrator has a particular voice and/or isn’t incredibly annoying. Being really snarky also helps.

Yeah, I don’t really mind first person either. I think it can be used to great effect to show how events and other characters affect a specific character mentally. And it can also be done to do my favoritest thing, cleverly unreliable narrators. (Honestly one of my favorite things about the Dresden Files, which I know I won’t shut up about lately… it’s subtle, but clearly there that Harry’s perspective on himself and others are not quite what they “really” are.)

Both of these things (a character’s emotions and unreliable narration) can also be done really horribly, of course. It definitely doesn’t help that all the awful self-insert Mary Sue fanfic writers (or creative writing writers…) all seem to write in first person present, which doesn’t really help liking that perspective. Third person past is safer if you’re a bad writer, in my opinion.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I remember one good use of unreliable narrators in The Reformed Vampire Support Group, where the protagonist randomly spent two paragraphs writing purple prose about another character’s appearance for no apparent reason. Then, at the end, she talks to the other characters about how she’s going to change around their names and stuff to keep it all anonymous when she writes a book about their experience. Making the connection was a really great moment, especially since the book was flawed in many aspects.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I think the book says the gamemakers sometimes rate tributes higher because that makes the others want to kill them right away

I don’t think Katniss would have killed Rue. I think they might have separated, and then it would have turned out something like Haymitch and Maysilee in the Quarter Quell.

It is implied though that her rating really is just because she’s so special.

Yeah, that’s what I got from the movie. The guy with the goofy beard was super impressed with the William Tell bit, rather than being pissed. And the fact it was an 11 instead of a 12 made it seem like it was just an honest ranking. I can’t speak to the book, of course.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

In the book, I think it could be a little of both. I haven’t read it in a while. But since the public isn’t allowed to find out what goes on at the scoring sessions, the high rating could be seen as their way of ‘getting back’ at her by setting her up as a target for the other tributes, without having to reveal to the public what went on. Besides, I think Seneca Crane (the weird-beard dude), just wanted a good show, and he thought that having Katniss in the games could give him one. His conversation with President Snow showed that. He just thinks that if he gives her the high score, the audience would all cheer for the underdog and his Games would be a success. He doesn’t really think through the implications of rewarding the rebel.

He just thinks that if he gives her the high score, the audience would all cheer for the underdog and his Games would be a success.

But she’s not the underdog if she has the highest score. That makes her the favorite to win pretty much by definition. It’s not an underdog story at all, even though it seems like it wants you to think it is.

Yeahhhhhh. Also, if the Careers are so well trained, why haven’t they been taught the basics of survival for various climes? Did all these careers decide to skip class during woodland/temperate forest day? Geeze.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Christ in a cream cheese sauce.

(yes, I know it’s not a movie, but it should be.)

WRT first person: A lot of amateurs write in it because they think it’s easier and it seems to come more naturally, but it’s actually harder and makes the writer’s failings more obvious.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013 edited

Technically, she’s the ‘underdog’ because she’s from District 12 and they hardly ever win. It was very unusual for someone from District 12 to be a favorite, which means that it drew people’s attention. And scores don’t always mean anything, since some people get a low score intentionally in order to make their opponents underestimate them. Also, just because you can perform it in front of a judge doesn’t always mean you can perform it when your life is on the line.
    The Careers count on their fighting skills, which the others don’t have, to grab all the supplies. Because that’s their plan, they don’t really count on the fact that they would have to survive in the woods.

Technically, she’s the ‘underdog’ because she’s from District 12 and they hardly ever win. It was very unusual for someone from District 12 to be a favorite, which means that it drew people’s attention.

Technically she’s not the underdog, because as you said in the very next sentence, she’s the favorite. Being from Slumsville doesn’t mean anything from a storytelling standpoint. It’s not like they all have some horrible genetic disease. It’s just a pretend obstacle.

And scores don’t always mean anything, since some people get a low score intentionally in order to make their opponents underestimate them.

This also has no bearing on the story as told. Katniss didn’t sandbag the tests, and apparently neither did anybody else within the events of the story since it never came up. As far as we know, everybody tested honestly and Katniss beat everybody else.

Also, just because you can perform it in front of a judge doesn’t always mean you can perform it when your life is on the line.

But she did, and there was never really any doubt about it. Even if that was how the tension in the story was framed, it’s still not as compelling as somebody who’s legitimately overwhelmed. I’d rather hope a character rises to the occasion rather than hope they don’t fall from it.

The Careers count on their fighting skills, which the others don’t have, to grab all the supplies. Because that’s their plan, they don’t really count on the fact that they would have to survive in the woods.

They had a pretty terrible plan, then. Woody Harrelson talked up the threat of starvation and exposure to the elements and whatnot, and if that was really something to be concerned about, there’s no reason not to teach the career kids survival skills. They’ve been training their whole lives for this, so there’s plenty of time to teach them that stuff. The only real reason they haven’t is to give Katniss another advantage. Speaking of which…

It’s pretty ridiculous nobody but Katniss apparently knew how to use a bow. It’s about the best possible weapon you could have in a situation like that. You can hunt for food and shoot people boneheaded enough to walk around with broadswords or whatever. Again, this kind of stuff doesn’t usually bother me, but in this case, it’s just another piece of narrative deck-stacking for Katniss.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013 edited

District 12 was typically seen as a handicap, because they’re poorer, don’t have as much to eat, and don’t have any training. Therefore, the average viewer in the Capitol was not going to look at someone from there and think they could win. And when someone from there does manage to do something exceptional, it’s going to attract notice, because it’s not what usually happens. It was the fact that she managed to get a high score despite coming from a place that usually loses that made her the person to watch.

So it made her that much more special-er? Welp.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013

Kill Bill is a very pretty film.

Kill Bill is a very pretty film.

It is. Most of the cool images in it are lifted wholesale from some other, but Tarantino sure has an eye for them.

My friend literally thought that Batman would turn into a bat when we watched Batman Begins. So wrong, but so funny.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013

"Trailer 3 - Man of Steel":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

Speechless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013

I went from being extremely noncommittal about that movie to very, very excited.

Ditto.

Though I laughed with Furious D made the joke “Both of Supe’s dads are Robin Hood!”

IRON MAN 3. IRON MAN 3. MOTHERFUCKING IRON MAN 3. YES!

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013

Oh, last week I watched Jack the Giant Slayer. (Look, in the middle of nowhere the selection isn’t great.)

Actually, some of the side characters were great and the pacing was perfect. I mean, Jack and the girl (one of the worst examples in the movies I’ve watched in a while of a damsel in distress, I have no idea what her name was) were both annoying, but Ewan McGregor? Squee!

Also, there’s a movie called Tai Chi Zero and it’s amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Tai Chi Zero looks awesome. Based on historically accurate situations, too! Seriously, chen village were incredible insular and xenophobic.

So much better than the other faux-martial arts fantasy movie coming out, The Man With The Iron Fists.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

And the villain was completely sympathetic…in my opinion, even more than the guru character. And better female characters. The sequel is apparently in theaters now!

Anyway, at least it’s great fun to watch, but that other one looks boring,

IRON MAN 3.

EVEN BETTER ON SECOND GO.

DID ANYONE ELSE SEE IT?

OMFG SO GOOD.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013

^^I didn’t get much from the dialogue (I should’ve gone to one with subtitles but it was a friend’s birthday party) but Iron Man 3 looked damn cool. :D

I saw it on Saturday. I enjoyed it and it had a bunch of cool scenes, but it wasn’t put together very well. Probably the sloppiest movie Marvel’s put together so far, in fact. It almost felt like it was two halves of two separate movies mashed together.

I’m hoping to see IM3 soon.

Wait… sansa, you talking about 2 or 3? You saying 3 is WORSE than 2 in this regard?

In other news I laughed way too hard at this Legend remake post.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013

I rewatched IM2 the other week, and you know, it was better than I remembered it being. It was very entertaining and I realized I actually did like Whiplash as a sort-of villain. There were enormous nonsensicalities, of course, but all in good fun.

The biggest problem with 2 was sort of like the same problems with Spidey 3. It was too much crammed into a film, it needed more focus. Though confused Matthew really tore into it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013

It turned out way more fun than Spidey 3, though. Although I haven’t watched it for ages so maybe I’d discover it was fun as well.

I pretty much forgot what happened in Iron Man 2, actually. So 3 is the sloppiest Marvel Studios movie that I remember.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013 edited

... I don’t see it. Then again, Iron Man 2 was one I didn’t see until years after it came out, and I only saw it because of this gif.

I mean, look at it! Black Widow straight up does not give a fuck.

So, low expectations, but I got fantastically hammy Vanko, obnoxious Justin Hammer, and bamf Pepper and Natasha. Plus, you know, TONY STARK. I was a happy bunny. Iron Man 3, I had high expectations, but IT TOTALLY LIVED UP TO THEM.

Why’d you feel it was sloppy? Legit curious, I’ll admit I’m still too high on explosion/Pepperony endorphins to be a rational critic.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013 edited

THAR BE SPOILARS

Anyway, point is, I thought it was a movie with a bunch of neat parts that never really congealed into a satisfying whole for me.

I pretty much forgot what happened in Iron Man 2, actually. So 3 is the sloppiest Marvel Studios movie that I remember.

Sounds like you’re also forgetting Spidey3 and Daredevil and Elektra and Blade 3.

...Great, I’m seeing a pattern.

(or are you meaning when marvel actually started using the “marvel studios“ imprint?)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013

Spidey3

Wasn’t that Sony Pictures?

(or are you meaning when marvel actually started using the “marvel studios“ imprint?)

Yes.

Wasn’t that Sony Pictures?

Also yes.

Ok, addressing in hidden, point by point so I don’t get confused :)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013

I just saw Iron Man 3 today, so I’m just going to skip everything Willow covered.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013 edited

• CommentTimeMay 10th 2013

• CommentAuthorNossus

are there actually people named Pepper and Happy in that stupid movie?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

You’ve never seen any of the Iron Man movies?! Or the Avengers?

Well, at any rate, Pepper Potts is a standard Iron Man supporting character, coming from the era where yes, everyone had cutesy pun names. It’s not her real first name. Happy Hogan is another comics import, and he’s a former boxer, hence the handle.

• CommentAuthorNossus

yeah ive seen the iron man movies, i really like the part where he punches the bad guy with his suit

...must you always be an asshat?

Until the mods actually do sometihng for once.

•  
      CommentAuthorlilyWhite

And now I’m picturing Robert Downey Jr. just standing there in ordinary clothes, taking a leather strap and tying the Iron Man suit to his fist while a bad guy is standing in front of him. Once he has it secured, Downey grits his teeth and lifts the suit up with one arm, orienting it so that it doesn’t hit the ground or any nearby scenery. Then he draws his fist back slightly, and POW! punches the bad guy with the suit-of-armor-ed fist. The moment Downey’s fist strikes, several sounds ring out: the typical “punch” sound effect, the clanging of metal, the cracking of every bone in Downey’s hand, and a massive string of profanities let loose by Downey.

...now if that actually happened in any of the movies, I’d drop everything and go watch them, even though I’m not much of a movie person.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Until the mods actually do sometihng for once.

I get really mad when people make jokes about movies I like!

^^Which is weird, since Iron Man 3 was merely serviceable on my part.

To change the topic, has anyone seen The Great Gatsby? I have a feeling that I’ll absolutely hate it, but I have a morbid curiosity to see it for myself. Damn you, Baz Luhrmann.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I haven’t seen it, but a lot of my friends saw it after reading for their English class and thought it was disappointing (to say the least).

• CommentTimeMay 10th 2013 edited

@ Puppet/SWQ

I didn’t really like the book… the set/costumes look amazing, the sheer art deco extravagance, anyway.

Hidden for massive Great Gatsby (book) discussion, wherein I explain why I do not like it.

@Nossus

On the one hand, I was irritable because my last class of the day pissed me off, and so I was more annoyed by your commentary than usual. My bad for being snippy. On the other hand, your comments were somewhat obnoxious. And that’s all I’m going to say about that, so I’ll excuse myself.

That’s the director of Romeo + Juliet for you.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013 edited

Gatsby owns so hard as a book that I don’t want to see a movie of it.

For some reason, we read this play in my 7th grade English class, and when we were done, rather than watch any of the conventional film adaptations, this is the one our teacher showed us. It was a weird fucking thing to watch as a 12 year old.

I’ve seen about 20 minutes of that version… did not get it/like it. Probably less awkward than the Zeffirelli version though…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013

Welp. There goes the last vestiges of my interest in watching this. About the only good thing about R+J is crossdressing afro Mercutio.

I think you’re forgetting about the guns that say “SWORD” on the side.

I think Leo DiCaprio had few good BIG NO moments too.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

re: Gatsby

So, yeah, I have no intention of seeing the movie, and I must respectfully disagree with you, sansa.

I would just like to say that for me, Gatsby has never been appealing because of the plot or the characters. It’s just a phenomenally well-written, beautiful book. The amount that is so skillfully conveyed in such a small amount of space is incredible. I had to read it for 11th grade English too, and was not interested until I saw an excerpt from Gatsby in Reading Like a Writer. It was beautiful, unusual, descriptive, and not florid at all. I’m unsure about Luhrmann’s adaptation because Gatsby is a subtle book, and he’s not really a subtle director at all, even though he seems to be genuinely passionate about it.

On the other hand, I’ve always understood why people don’t like it. It’s essentially Rich People Problems- The Book.

^^^ Well said.

It’s essentially rich people behaving badly – the only thing making it in any way unique is that it’s set in the 1920s. The Great Gatsby is a Soap Opera, but without the crazy, off-the-wall twists to keep me interested.

That’s really not what it is at all unless you only read it at the most superficial level possible, which, to be fair, all 11th graders do. Just because that’s all you were able to get out of it in high school doesn’t mean that’s all there is to it, though. It’s like saying Mad Men is about a bunch of bad people cheating on their spouses.

even Gatsby’s big goal is pretty shallow

This is only true if you think Gatsby’s big goal was getting it on with Daisy. It wasn’t. Daisy was just the symbol of Gatsby’s real goal.

Daisy was just the symbol of Gatsby’s real goal.

The tragedy of Daisy is that she realizes that she’s just an empty vessel for other people’s desires and dreams. I hated her when I first read the book, and I do still find her frustrating at times, but there’s more to her than what’s on the surface. There’s a hysterical and desperate undertone to her gaiety that I think is really revealing- and sad. She’s powerless and she knows it, but she’s not strong enough to do anything about it, so she just gives up.

It’s like saying Mad Men is about a bunch of bad people cheating on their spouses.

I do not understand Mad Men either, to be fair.

• CommentAuthorNossus

It’s like saying Mad Men is about a bunch of bad people cheating on their spouses.

It pretty much is though. Don Draper is such a fucking bland and unlikable character. But he’s good looking so people ignore that.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013 edited

This is only true if you think Gatsby’s big goal was getting it on with Daisy. It wasn’t. Daisy was just the symbol of Gatsby’s real goal.

Alright, let’s go with that, then. Daisy represents some point when Gatsby was actually, truly happy, and he believes that, if he can get back together with Daisy, then he can once again be truly happy. But that isn’t all that deep, really. It’s actually pretty pathetic – instead of moving on with his life, and maybe at least finding contentment, he’s obsessing over a girl he dated for a while several years ago. And that’s not tragic, it’s just sad.

Also, Citizen Kane did something similar, only pulled it off better. Because at least he didn’t spend years searching for his old sled.

It doesn’t help that my class watched a movie adaptation that gave Gatsby some really creepy undertones – he had a wall collage of photos and newspaper clippings about everything Daisy did after they broke up. Made him come off as a stalker.

Daisy represents some point when Gatsby was actually, truly happy, and he believes that, if he can get back together with Daisy, then he can once again be truly happy.

The sad thing about Gatsby is that this is what he thinks he’s after, but really, their relationship was never the great thing that he builds it up to be in his head. I’ve always interpreted Gatsby’s past with Daisy to be just as constructed as anything else; Daisy might have been infatuated with Gatsby, but if they had ended up together, they would never have been happy anyways. Gatsby is fundamentally self-deluding, and that is kind of pathetic, but at the same time, Nick finds him fascinating because he’s so earnest and optimistic, that you can’t help but hope it turns out all right for him in the end.

I do think that Gatsby is tragic, in the old Greek sense. He’s a man who could be great (and Nick thinks of him in that way at first)- handsome, charming, earnest, passionate, hard-working- but he’s brought down by his own self-delusion and his inability to let go.

The tragedy of Daisy is that she realizes that she’s just an empty vessel for other people’s desires and dreams. I hated her when I first read the book, and I do still find her frustrating at times, but there’s more to her than what’s on the surface. There’s a hysterical and desperate undertone to her gaiety that I think is really revealing- and sad. She’s powerless and she knows it, but she’s not strong enough to do anything about it, so she just gives up.

I have nothing to add to this. You pretty much nailed it.

I do not understand Mad Men either, to be fair.

I know.

It pretty much is though. Don Draper is such a fucking bland and unlikable character. But he’s good looking so people ignore that.

It really isn’t, though. Draper is definitely a terrible trainwreck of a person, but I don’t see how he’s bland at all. I think he’s fucking fascinating.

Alright, let’s go with that, then. Daisy represents some point when Gatsby was actually, truly happy, and he believes that, if he can get back together with Daisy, then he can once again be truly happy. But that isn’t all that deep, really. It’s actually pretty pathetic – instead of moving on with his life, and maybe at least finding contentment, he’s obsessing over a girl he dated for a while several years ago. And that’s not tragic, it’s just sad.

Nope. What Daisy really represents is a way for Gatsby to become the man he was pretending to be. Despite being rich as shit, Gatsby can never be part of the real upper class, since he wasn’t born into his money. He’s advanced as far as he can, but he can’t reach the top. Daisy only belongs to old money(Tom), and Gatsby can never really have her.

What Daisy really represents is a way for Gatsby to become the man he was pretending to be.

What I was trying to say. :P

I haven’t seen Mad Men so I can’t speak as to Don Draper, but I think Gatsby’s a very complex character- and it’s only accentuated by Nick’s biased narration. I agree with sansa that Gatsby’s obsessed with the old money/new money division, but more than that, he’s interesting because he’s always reaching for something beyond that, something completely transcendental that obviously he can never have. He’s not just crassly ambitious or capitalistic (although he is definitely both of those things), and that’s why he’s more than a gold-digger. He wants to be somebody Great, but he has a warped perception of what that actually means.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Here’s the thing, sansa – how is that not still sad, pathetic, and shallow? He’s obsessed with his image, he just wants to fit in with the cool kids, and either doesn’t or refuses to understand that nothing he does will make him fit in. He’ll always be nouveau riche, no matter what he does.

I ask again – how is that not shallow?

You just described why he’s tragic, not why he’s shallow.

how is that not shallow?

Well, I don’t think it’s shallow because Fitzgerald, when he’s at his best, can write about paint drying and it’ll still be meaningful and beautiful to me. Something doesn’t have to be full of profundity to be true, and even though all the characters in The Great Gatsby might be considered ‘shallow’, they’re not shallow in construction or authorial intention.

It’s like I was saying before. It’s more than Daisy, more than money. Gatsby yearns for something, but he has his heart set on all these trappings that lead him to his downfall. The trappings are shallow, they’re not the real thing at all, but he’s too blind and eager to see it. That’s the point.

EDIT: sansa anticipated my exact argument much more succinctly.

EDIT 2: Lest you think we’re ganging up on you, Apep, here’s someone who agrees with you:

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

What I consider the tragic part is that Gatsby is killed just as he started to maybe move on with his life. Everything I mentioned is tragic from an outside, objective perspective, which the book doesn’t supply – Gatsby is too caught up in his little fantasy/pining for what he can’t have, Nick is too enraptured by Gatsby, and no one else gives a damn. Maybe it would be tragic if told from Gatsby’s perspective, but as is, we’re told how great and wonderful he is, and I don’t like being told how to feel about a character.

Now, if he’d gotten what he wanted, only to find that he’s even more of an outcast, then I’d consider it tragic. As is, everyone still seems to like him well enough, so I don’t really see what his problem is. Let’s just say that tragedy is in the eye of the beholder and leave it at that.

Now there are other reasons I didn’t like the book: A) I didn’t identify with or like any of the characters, B) the book’s plot seems to consist largely of a series of random, unconnected events, and C) the narrator is a virtual nonentity.

I don’t like the book, and have no intention of seeing the movie. Can we please move on to something else now?

We found a copy of Heroes of the East (also known as Shaolin Challenges Ninja ).

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FYI, it’s a Gordon Liu film about a chinese man who marries a japanese woman, and about them learning about each other, and the conflict of chinese vs japanese martial arts, and it is awesome. It really emphasizes how both styles have a lot to contribute, and no one dies, it’s all friendly/competitive competition. SO GOOD.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I haven’t read the book since high school, but I’ve never really understood why Hollywood was remaking it because the conclusion as I remember it seems rather incompatible with Hollywood period. But I found the Schulz article really good, which reminded me why I believed I liked I book but never really connected to any of it.

But to actually change the subject: I saw The Croods, which, yeah.

I rather liked it actually. It wasn’t as awful as I’d assumed it’d be, and also made me a little teary at the end. They kind of lost track of their own theme I think at the end, but it was there. And aside from the rather simple, if effective, plot, the background/world building was positively surreal.