Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012

@Orlando – Tom Cruise was handsome. To be totally honest, I feel like he’s been looking old lately. Or maybe that was just MI: Ghost Protocol, because I googled up some recent pictures of him and he looks better than I remember him looking in that movie.

“I can fight.” and “I have skills.” are complete sentences. The object of “I can fight” is implicit. Bad guys, monsters, and “people bigger than I” are all possible objects. Other examples of this sort of sentence include: “I will follow”; “Angela should come”; and “Tell me.” “Tell me” is an example of an implied indirect object, and the subject is an implied second person singular or second person plural.

“I have skills” comment = subtle dig about picking sides against Jeremy Irons.

Oh yeah, I loved Taku’s shout out. That’s why I was echoing the rifftrax line at that scene. My friends and I have memorized the entire movie with riff by this point (be sure you sit through the credits).

First, I would like to point out that Woody shows concern for other toys as well. Now from my perspective (but then, this is what makes stories great, they allow many meanings), Toy Story is about a job. Woody takes his work very seriously and is annoyed that when Buzz comes along, not only he does treat the job like a “joke” (from Woody’s perspective, he can’t grasp just how delusional Buzz was), Buzz is “excelling” in spite of his lack of effort. Notice that when the two start really bridging the gap between them is when Buzz finally admits the truth and starts taking his job as a toy with more seriousness. One wonders that if Buzz took his job that seriously from the beginning, if it would have taken as long for him and Woody to become friends.

Toy Story is always a fun one to discuss because it seems everyone has their own take on the central theme and characters. I always felt that Woody’s biggest flaw in the beginning was ego. He did care about the other toys in the beginning, but to me it felt more like someone would care about groopies than they would a family. I’ve just come to dislike the Woody is a father analogy because it feels like a stretch to support the argument that almost all Pixar movies are about fatherhood in some way or another.

I don’t think any of those others are still as selfish as Merida. They at least show concerns for things beyond themselves.
    I still don’t think she was as selfish as you make her out to be. I’m pretty sure everyone’s dealt with issues of their own interests compared to what everyone else things they should be interested in.

I disagree for now, but only because I am uncertain as to the definitions of your parameters.

I’m pretty bad at explaining this. There tends to be a huge divide in movies targeted toward women and movies targeted toward men. Moves target toward men are all about action. They’re about going out and heroically saving someone you love, fighting tooth and nail toward the top and taking action into your own hands. Movies targeted toward women tend to be more about the emotional aspects of life, usually involving family, friends and romance. This is a pretty general statement and not all movies fall into these categories, but they tend to be how you tell the difference between a generic chick flick and a guy cry movie. I don’t think it was really that big of a difference, but to me it seemed to focus more in the emotional side of the story and less on the actiony, “I’m going to take this into my own hands” bits.

The rest of the post, yeah, I can’t help but agree with.

I don’t care what anyone says, I’m looking forward to it! (but then I’m a Kaiju fan).

I have to agree here as well. :) I have a hard time calling the premise an end of the world movie. If we’re classifying any movie where the world is in trouble in that category, we might as well throw in the entire superhero genre.

Seeing Les Mis in three days

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012

I’ll be seeing it on Boxing Day. And then The Hobbit immediately afterwards, or as soon afterwards as I can get tickets.

Actually, I think I might treat myself and see The Hobbit gold class (that means extra arm and leg room, comfier chairs, and access to a special twice-as-expensive concession stand)

What did you think, Inspector? Did they do the show justice? I have heard the singing is not so wonderful. Perhaps they should have made the adaptation with theatre people instead of cinema people. Perhaps some theatre people of Asian or African descent. Of course it might not be “historically accurate” to cast nonwhite performers, but please. Nobody looks to “Les Miserables” to learn about history. It is a musical. Musicals aren’t supposed to be historically accurate. They do not need to be historically accurate.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012 edited

I saw it yesterday, and I thought it was alright. I only had real issues with two people’s singing. My biggest issues were with some of the camera work and the pacing. For the camera stuff, during many of solo songs, the camera tends to stay uncomfortably close to the actor’s face (in my opinion, at least) and never changes position. With the pacing, well, there’s almost no spoken dialogue, and the plot seems to rush from one song to the next. I know its a musical, but I feel a minute or so spent establishing some things wouldn’t have been amiss. (Example: the movie jumps straight from Fontine’s death and Valjean’s escape to Cosette singing “Castle on a Cloud”)

My experience wasn’t helped by some woman in the row behind us constantly asking questions and needing the movie explained to her. If you’re not going to pay attention, why are you at the movie?

I only had real issues with two people’s singing

Whose? I don’t plan on seeing the movie, I’m just curious.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012

I didn’t like the actors playing adult Cosette or Marius, and with Marius a good part of it was probably just issues with the character.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012

I think it’d be hard to like anyone playing Cosette or Marius… always hated both of them (the characters).

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012

I had a big long post all written up, then my computer crashed and I had to manually restart.

In short, next time, I need to watch this without comparison to the theatre productions, to allow it to stand on its own merits; I continue to be thoroughly and deeply unimpressed with Sasha Baron Cohen (his accent was atrocious, he should have dropped it), and I loved Samantha Barks. I know Johnny Depp doesn’t do bit parts, but I think the chemistry between him and Helena would have made for a much more satisfying Mr. and Mme. Thenardier.

I also liked the fact that the put more emphasis on developing Valjean’s character, rather than using him essentially as a framing device for Marius+Cosette. There were a few songs that weren’t in the 10th or 25th performances that I really liked, but I was annoyed by the way they skipped some of the songs, replacing them with brief spoken bits.

Russell Crowe was a decent Javert, but certainly not the best or most memorable (nor, I think, was it Crowe’s best performance as an actor OR singer). The suicide scene was a little weak, I thought. In the 25th Anniversary performance, Javert was raging to the heavens about the unfairness of it all, which was both in line with his character and much more dramatic. Crowe’s Javert just seemed a little too quick to fall into despair without anger or rage or fighting back.

Anyway, it was a pretty solid performance all up. I’d definitely watch it again, even though my heart belongs to the Youtube mashup that replaces Nick Jonas with Michael Ball in the 25th.

Well I got Little Shop of Horrors for Christmas so I’ve watched that three times already but you guys probably would rather want to know what I think of Les Mis.

TLDR:

It was very good. You should see it and you’ll probably cry.

Perhaps they should have made the adaptation with theatre people instead of cinema people.

The problem with that is that it’s harder to market, ‘cause no one outside of theatre fans have heard of a lot of them (I would’ve sold my soul to get John Owen-Jones as Valjean though.)

Samurai Rebellion (1967) had one of the best plots for its genre. The daiymo dumps one concubine for a new one, and fobs the old one off on the unmarried son of a retainer, shortly after the concubine gives birth to the daiymo’s second heir. The retainer’s son and the concubine grow to love one another very much and have a daughter of their own. But then the original heir dies, so the concubine’s son is the next in line and the daiymo wants his concubine back. And it goes on from there. All of that plot is set up in the first half of the movie. This is a movie that takes its time and is richer for it. It is not primarily designed as a katana-swinging spectacle. The father of the groom is played by Toshiro Mfune.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Taku, did you watch The Hobbit yesterday? I got the HFR 48FPS screening and I’m glad I did.

I do understand why some people moaned so much though; the clarity of the higher framerate does not lend itself to increasing the fantasy feeling, in fact, the lack of blurriness lessened the mystery factor quite a bit even if New Zealand looked jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Anyway the experience was dazzling even I will probably never do it again. Now to watch it in standard HD.

I also liked the fact that the put more emphasis on developing Valjean’s character, rather than using him essentially as a framing device for Marius+Cosette.

I have never felt like Les Mis only uses Valjean as a framing device. I always feel like the different stories are patches of a quilt, and Jean Valjean ties them together.

I thought. In the 25th Anniversary performance, Javert was raging to the heavens about the unfairness of it all, which was both in line with his character and much more dramatic.

Honestly, I feel that ‘raging at the heavens” is OOC for Javert. If there’s any unfairness, I guess it’s him realizing that he has been unfair and unjust in his treatment of Valjean, and therefore has been unfair and unjust his entire life. And for Javert, nothing could be worse.

There were a few songs that weren’t in the 10th or 25th performances that I really liked, but I was annoyed by the way they skipped some of the songs, replacing them with brief spoken bits.

Have you heard the Complete Symphonic cast recording? It has the musical in its entirety (well, the 80’s version of it, before the update). It’s got the same Javert from the 10th anniversary and probably the best Enjolras. (the less said about Valjean, the better sadly)
    Anyway it’s worth a listen because it has every bit of music, including the stuff between songs that are only sort of songs.

And some of the added bits aren’t actually from the stage show but were added for the movie (the song Suddenly and a few other in-between scenes).

I’m trying to remember what they cut entirely…..Turing, but that was never a good song in the first place.

What I REALLY want though is an adaption with the scene where Valjean escapes from the convent in a coffin. That’s one of my favourite parts. (although this one added another favourite scene: where Javert asks to be fired because he thinks he made a mistake).

•  
      CommentAuthorAzure

I should be doing things right now. I should be studying. I should be reading Les Miserables because I told myself that I’d read the book before I watched the movie.

But instead I’m watching Super 8.

(Seriously, I got five movies for Christmas. That was all I asked for. Best. Christmas. Ever.)

So, um, right. I wasn’t looking forward to the movie, but I wound up liking it much more than I thought I would. A few quick thoughts are below the spoiler.

I also got copies of Brave, The Hunger Games, and Tangled, so expect more reviews soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012 edited

I saw The Hobbit… twice. I enjoyed it even if I could see why some could consider it to be cluttered. But I really, really wanted to see things like the Erebor attack, the Battle of Azanulbizar, Dol Guldor, etc.

The second Berserk movie is out, really looking forward to seeing that one. The only manga/anime I"ll ever like.

I should be doing things right now. I should be studying. I should be reading Les Miserables because I told myself that I’d read the book before I watched the movie.

OOOH! READ IT READ IT READ IT AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

Get the Norman Macafee translation, that one is my favourite (the Charles Wibour one is classic, though). Don’t get too discouraged because it starts slow, I promise you that it is totally worth the 1000+ pages, even if there are some historical tangents that seem dull or irrelevant. The actual story is incredibly compelling and moving. Reading that book was probably one of the best things I have ever done (and I’m not being hyperbolic).

I’d also recommend checking out a cast recording or two of the musical, although the movie goes in a unique direction with the score.

I have the Wilbur translation, which is perfectly readable…well, I can never get through Marius and Cosette, but it’s perfectly readable until then.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2012

Get the Norman Macafee translation

Just be sure to read it quickly, the trial expires after 30 days.

• CommentTimeDec 28th 2012 edited

Snort

I don’t remember what translation I read, I just remember that I loathed the damn thing. HUGO, YOU’RE A GOOD WRITER, BUT CAN YOU PUT YOUR THOUGHTS ON TANGENTS SOMEWHERE ELSE, PLEASE? IT’S BEEN 200 PAGES WITHOUT A SINGLE CHARACTER FROM THE PLOT. THANKS. ALSO, ACTUAL CHARACTERS WOULD BE NICE. COSETTE IS NOT A CHARACTER, SHE IS AN ARCHETYPAL INGENUE AND BORING AS BEIGE PAINT CHIPS.

Yes I cried at the end of our high school’s performance when Valjean gets sung to and dies SHUT UP VALJEAN IS LIKEABLE OK.

I don’t remember what translation I read, I just remember that I loathed the damn thing.

leave now and never come back.

Just be sure to read it quickly, the trial expires after 30 days.

snort

Unabridged version. I suffered, dammit.

Unabridged version. I suffered, dammit.

I’ve read the unabridged version five time.

NO SUFFERING HERE!

Except the Waterloo chapters ugh.

Also the sewers. And the salons. THE SALONS AREN’T EVEN PART OF THE STORY, DAMMIT.

Also the sewers. And the salons. THE SALONS AREN’T EVEN PART OF THE STORY, DAMMIT.

My favourite tangent is the one about the convent. And the one about argot.

(unless you count the beginning about the Bishop as a tangent, in which case that is the best tangent of all because he is one of my favourite characters)

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

leave now and never come back.

Not sure if your wording was intentional.

Not sure if your wording was intentional.

It was intentional. It was a total gollum moment. XD

Because no one
    insults
    Les Mis
    In. front. of. me.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2012 edited

It was a total gollum Sméagol moment.

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

Yes but
    when it comes to Les Mis
    I am Gollum because it is my precioussss.

hisses

This is great

Yeah, I saw that on my dash earlier and it was great. XD

I watched Little Shop of Horrors for the fourth time this week last night.

It’s one of my favourite musicals and I finally got the DVD for Christmas.

It’s so much fun but then the ending is so sad.

Django had violence against slave owners. If I were the Academy, I’d know who I would pick for Best Picture.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012

Just some thoughts on three movies:

Saw Les Mis. Cried.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Stupid movie ending. Stupid Fantine coming for Valjean, and Valjean dying. Sobbed until I hiccupped.

Stupid movie ending. Stupid Fantine coming for Valjean, and Valjean dying. Sobbed until I hiccupped.

ALSO WHEN HE’S TOO WEAK TO LIFT THE TRUNK

JUST

NO STOPPP

(seeing it for a third time today! :D)

Just saw Le Mis. It was really good. So. Good.

Really, so much there that they did well, the costumes, the makeup were amazing, and one area where a movie really beats a play. I think Russel Crowe make an excellent Javart, same for whoever played Marius. I’m not really convinced with Hugh Jackman as Valjean though. Just doesn’t fit my picture of him. And Alphie Boe just beats anyone else I’ve ever heard doing that part.

•  
      CommentAuthorAzure
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012

Yes. I saw it too, which means that I finally finished the book! It was amazing! I’ve never cried during a movie, and probably never will, but this was the closest I’ve ever gotten.

...Too emotional to write a real review, so I’ll just leave this here.

I also watched The Hunger Games, because clearly I didn’t have anything to do today.

But seriously. What is Gale even doing in this movie? He had that one part in the beginning, but what was he doing in the rest of it? It’s like, every time Katniss and Peeta get romantic (only two or three times — good call.), we cut back to him looking all butthurt. I…I just don’t understand it. I mean, we never got a reaction shot from him during the rest of the movie while Katniss was busy not being killed. So why now?

“Hey, Gale here, reminding you that I’m still here. Just…existing. Also that I Do Not Approve, because I’m a part of the love triangle in the next two movies.

And why Gale? I think that we got maybe one shot of Prim. Why not her?

This wasn’t really an actual review, just something that bugged me. The rest of the movie was pretty decent. I’d been worried that they were going to play up the romance, but it really wasn’t ban, which, as I’ve said, was a very good call.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013

I’m sure whether or not I liked the way they presented Javert’s first solo, Stars. It seemed to set up Javert as having vague suicidal tendencies even before the barricade. I can’t decide if that was a good move or not.

I eagerly await the day when someone makes a big-budget biopic about Toussaint L’Ouverture. I would do anything to see that movie. Alas, I thought I had written this post already, but apparently it didn’t send.

Les Miserables:The Musical is not history. It is not really about nineteenth-century France. The Victor Hugo book that serves as its base is historical (or rather, reasonably contemporaneous with the date of publication). Nobody attends Le Miserables in search of a history lesson. The musical itself is no more a history of France than The Mikado is about Japan. Musicals by nature are non-realistic, and are in a mythic, romantic setting that exists only on the stage. It doesn’t matter if it’s historically accurate. If it makes you uncomfortable to see POC in European-set “historical” productions, the problem is not the production itself. Look at Shakespeare, the king of Dead White Men playwrights. His plays are performed in languages, genders and ethnicities he could never have imagined on the stage. Having King Lear be performed by only women in Uttar Pradesh doesn’t make the production not the Shakespeare play. It matters more that the story and characters are communicated well. Many a production has suffered from too much time and money spent on costumes and set pieces and not enough time on script and performance.

• CommentAuthorNossus

People spoiling the shit out of this movie that I haven’t seen

Nossus, the book is public domain. It’s been around for 150 years. Complaining about spoilers in Les Miserables is like scolding someone for saying Keira Knightley jumps in front of a train in Anna Karenina. There’s a statute of limitations on these sorts of things. Snape killed Dumbledore, did you hear?

• CommentAuthorNossus

Nope sorry you’re wrong, Z.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Also Jesus dies.

I dunno. Once something gets into classic territory, I feel like there’s no reasonable expectation that others will avoid spoilers. I don’t expect people to avoid spoilers of something out like last year, even! Unless it’s something that absolutely DESTROYS a work to know—like the murderer in the Mousetrap or something.

Yeah, sorry Nossus. Spoilers do not apply to a book that has been out for 100+ years, and a musical that has been out for 20+ years. NOPE.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@SWQ – I agree pretty strongly with that. There’s been plenty of things that have been spoiled for me that I still went on to thoroughly enjoy. It’s the entire experience, not the single moment of realization, that makes a work great. If something is only good if you don’t know the twist, then quite frankly it’s not very good. And knowing what’s coming can be good sometimes, because I get more interested in seeing how things will play out—how we get from Point A at the beginning to Point B that I know is coming—than simply in what will happen next.

That all being said, I still much prefer to discover things on my own. My favorite example (because it’s my favorite plot twist ever, of all time, and managed to completely surprise me) is a rather major plot twist at the end of season 6 of the web series Red vs. Blue, in which major revelations about a particular character’s backstory are revealed—and it turns out they’re not at all who you thought they were. It was four years ago and I still prefer to not spoil it if I talk about the series, simply because it’s a very effective plot twist. If it had been spoiled for me, I never would’ve had that enjoyment of discovering it for the first time. However… I have still found incredible enjoyment in going back and rewatching the series to see how it built to that point, how so many things hinted toward the twist, yet I never picked up on them the first time through.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013 edited

Yeah, sorry Nossus. Spoilers do not apply to a book that has been out for 100+ years, and a musical that has been out for 20+ years. NOPE.

Nope, I’m right.

I don’t see what the age of a work has to do with spoilers at all. More people have probably read Game of Thrones and watched the show than have read Les Mis and see the movie but we don’t go around spoiling that Ned Stark dies.

.... facepalm

More people have probably read Game of Thrones and watched the show than have read Les Mis and see the movie but we don’t go around spoiling that Ned Stark dies.

No. Les Mis has been out for 100+ years. MORE PEOPLE HAVE READ IT THAN GAME OF THRONES. Come on now. By your logic, we can NEVER discuss ANYTHING with spoilers. Ever.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

The reason there aren’t any black people starring in the movie is because they made the movie to make money. That’s it, that’s all. If the shot-callers thought they’d make more with black leads, there would be black leads. It’s the same reason they cast movie stars instead of people who could sing real good.

FWIW I agree with Nossus WRT spoilers unless they’re hidden texted. Don’t click the show button if you think it might be.

• CommentAuthorNossus

No, there’s a nifty thing built into the forum that lets you hide spoilers.

Also I don’t have any sales figures for the books and I’m not about to look for any but millions of people have watched each episode of Game of Thrones on HBO, which is only a fraction of the amount of people that have watched them in total, and the books are very popular. Just becacuse something is old doesn’t mean lots of people have read it. Lots of people HAVE read Les Mis, obviously, but not that many.

Maybe it’s bigger in France.

edit:

FWIW I agree with Nossus WRT spoilers unless they’re hidden texted. Don’t click the show button if you think it might be.

Yeah. I liked what you had before you edited it more though.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013

Well, we did actually just have a member talking about not reading the book yet, and I think it’s safe to assume that not all of us know the finer plot details of Les Mis. I’m with Nossus on spoilering specific plot details, regardless of how old/popular they are. We’ve spoilered Harry Potter details for a member that hadn’t read the series, I think we can do the same for things like Les Mis without too much trouble.

On people of color in Les Mis: I haven’t read the book or seen a movie/musical version, but if there’s room for it they could follow the path of the most recent Wuthering Heights adaptation. Off of a description of Heathcliff as being “dark-skinned in aspect”, they cast a black actor. It added a new element to the story while still maintaining authenticity to the original work and historical context.

I personally don’t mind spoilers all that much. I’ve been spoiled for too many things (most notably, Sherlock, GoT, and HP) to get very angry now. I actually like knowing what’s going to happen in advance so I can keep track of things from the very beginning and see how they come together. But that’s just an opinion, and spoilering is non-reversible once it happens, so…in future, using the ‘hide’ function, at least for the Big Reveals, might be nice.

In other news, I watched ‘Mean Girls’ tonight. That movie used to make me feel profoundly uncomfortable in middle school (despite being involved in whatever the opposite of drama is and being blissfully unaware of all my classmates) but now I appreciate it a lot more. It’s a damn funny movie, and it’s kind of sad to see it pigeonholed as a ‘girl’ movie. My brother was watching it with me (and enjoying it, because it’s actually quite clever) and my mom/sister were making fun of him. Just because it’s a movie that happens to be about girls doesn’t mean a guy shouldn’t be able to watch it without being teased. It’s not like girls are mocked for watching movies about men, because that’s the norm. /rant over

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013

I haven’t seen Les Mis (or read the book). Spoilers should be concealed in hidden text, regardless of how old or new the movie or book is.

Just got back from Django Unchained. It owned.

I also saw The Raid: Redemption over Christmas break, and it also owned.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013 edited

Spoilers should be concealed in hidden text, regardless of how old or new the movie or book is.

Django's second half was much worse than the first though, I felt a little bit dissapoitned. But overall it was great. The Raid is absolutely brutal and brilliant.

Is that a spoiler for Beowulf, Taku?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013

The last sentence, yes.

Sansa, would you mind offering more details?

Monsieur Lazhar is the pinnacle of the save-our-students/inspiring-teacher-or-coach genre. It is about the title character and the class he teaches after the previous teacher hangs herself. It is one of the better movies about children and grief.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Taku – lol.

Seriously, though, as a personal thing, I refuse to get upset if something spoils something older than, say, fifty or a hundred years. If it’s been around that long, it’s kind of my own fault if I haven’t read/watched it yet. I know people differ, but this is my personal policy. I just don’t care about old spoilers that much.

• CommentAuthorNossus

‘it’s my own fault for not having read every single book written before the 20th century’ -swenson

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Well, kind of, yes. I can’t expect everyone around me to know precisely what I have or haven’t read, and I feel wrong about keeping them from being able to freely discuss a work with others without having to worry about, oh dear, is this on the list of things swenson’s read or not? Quite frankly, that’s not their problem. I view it more as my responsibility to avoid old spoilers than it is everyone else’s responsibility to avoid old spoilers for me. Giving spoiler warnings and hiding them is a nice thing, but I just don’t see it as a requirement, unless we’re talking about something that came out fairly recently. Although if I were to specifically make some mention, like, “Hey guys, I want to see Les Mis but I don’t know anything about the story, mind avoiding spoilers for the next week?”, then I suppose it’d be rather rude for someone to openly discuss spoilers.

But let’s suppose we all agree to hide spoilers. What actually needs to be hid? Every plot element of every work ever? Only endings? Or also deaths and character revelations? Is really, really, really old stuff (The Epic of Gilgamesh or the Iliad) exempt? What about very commonly-known works, like fairy tales or the Bible? What about things that have been discussed to death openly already, like the ending of Inception? Where’s the limit?

• CommentAuthorNossus

Just don’t be a dick. Not that complicated. It should be pretty obvious what bits of information will negatively affect someone’s enjoyment of a story

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Meh, I can see walking on egg shells for a recently published book. Or when a book is first adapted to film or something (Game of Thrones for instance.) But on a forum discussing stories in general, I wouldn’t worry about spoilers for The Hobbit nevermind Les Mis. It would be impossible to have any conversation at all.

Yeah, a spoiler isn’t the end of the world.

• CommentAuthorNossus

There’s a very large gulf between ‘walking on eggshells’ and casually posting major character deaths and it’s pretty fucking easy to fit all imaginable discourse in it

There really isn’t that much you could even spoil in The Hobbit anyway, if anything

• CommentAuthorNossus

It’s also worth pointing out that this is the movie thread. Obviously most of the people who see Les Miserables haven’t read the book (if that weren’t true it would be a complete box office failure)

Yeah, I don’t see the problem with hiding thins like major deaths, big reveals, and endings. Something could be over a hundred years old but still have many modern readers who have not had the time to read it or have not been made aware of it to want to read it. I actually think it makes more sense to spoiler moderatley old things than fairly new but not just came out things. Those things often go through fads where most people in the culture know what happens in them, whereas older works may have not have been prominent in pop culture, so their plot points could less well known to people who aren’t involved in the culture that emphasizes the old text (in this case theater people and possibly French culture). So it actually seems like less of a big deal to me to spoil Harry Potter because it is so prominent in the current cultuee than it is to spoil Les Miserables because modern readers may be less familiar with it.

I do agree that books and other things are not ruined by spoilers, but there is an element of enjoying a story that spoilers take away.

if that weren’t true it would be a complete box office failure

Yeah, the Harry Potter movies were failures at the box office.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013

Spoilers are spoilers and spoilers should be hidden. Now drop it, pleaseandthankyou.

I also saw The Raid: Redemption over Christmas break, and it also owned.

^^^^^

Sansa, would you mind offering more details?

About Django, or Raid? The former is good for the same reasons any Tarantino movies are good, plus Jamie Foxx looks badass in a cowboy hat. There’s also a bunch of tight shots of people’s hands doing things that I spent the whole movie trying to figure out. The latter is good because it’s pure id, and the plot is gloriously, perfectly minimalist and we don’t see enough of that anymore. Also a guy gets killed with a broken doorframe and it’s fucking cool.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Most people who have watched the Harry Potter films HAVEN’T read the books, so thanks for provin my point. Seems like you didn’t think that throug. Plus even if that weren’t the case, more people have read Harry Potter than Les Mis anyway.

So thanks to Puppet’s policies, I have to discuss this movie called in a spoiler-free format. It’s a very film that has absolutely nothing to do with besides the The film quality was and a randomly popped up every 5 minutes. How’s that for a spin-off? Even is more tasteful.

Most people who have watched the Harry Potter films HAVEN’T read the books

I’d agree with this stat for Les Mis, because the book is old, long, and somewhat difficult to get though (sorry, Karamazova!), but for HP, seems a bit off. Like it or not, those books are probably among the most popular of our time. Not saying that there wasn’t a significant population of non-readers, I just doubt it was a majority.

And Marquis, nobody’s asking for any and all discussion of movies be in spoiler tags. I hope. Just the big things. And if people slip up now and again, a polite reminder that someone doesn’t want something to be spoiled is all that’s necessary.

Okay, now I’m also done with this discussion. Spoilers are divisive, but there’s a certain point where it all gets into semantics. :P

Yeah, sorry to be a smartass. Just feel like this has become an anal-retentive matter for all those involved.

Django Unchained, of course. I’m sorry I wasn’t specific. Say some more, if you please.

The Raid: Redemption has been out for awhile and never had the cultural capital of Django even in its first run.

It’s pretty much what you expect it to be. Funny, strange dialogue, righteous ultraviolence, Tarantino casting himself in an awkward minor role, etc. The only aspect that really surprised me was(probably some serious spoilers):

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Not trying to start anything, just putting in my 2 cents.

re: Les Mis spoilers – To be honest, the musical adaptation is not all that friendly to new viewers, as evidenced by the fact the woman in the row behind me constantly asking questions throughout the movie. There’s almost no time spent establishing character or plot elements, presumably because you’re supposed to know this stuff beforehand. Maybe you don’t need to read the book, but reading the plot summary on wikipedia would only help.

As for spoilers in general, it’s hard to say. Obviously stuff for more recent works should be hidden, but where’s the cut-off? I personally would say that if the work is in the public domain (say, anything from before the 1930s) it shouldn’t need spoiler tags, but that’s me. When I went to see the Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, I went in knowing that Holmes would because I know how “The Adventure of the Final Problem” ends. Bu I also knew that because I know that there are stories set after that. And yet there were quite a few people in the theatre who didn’t know that, because they were surprised when

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013 edited

There’s a very large gulf between ‘walking on eggshells’ and casually posting major character deaths and it’s pretty fucking easy to fit all imaginable discourse in it

There really isn’t that much you could even spoil in The Hobbit anyway, if anything

I can think of a few.

There’s all sorts of suprises at the end.

But I guess it’s settled, so time to move on.

Just rewatched Kevin Costner’s Robin Hood. I didn’t like it so much the first time as I felt like I watching Costner in jolly old England rather Robin Hood despite never seeing a Costner film before. Like at the beginning she was a competent swordsperson that was But he was a Crusader, so w/e. But in the end,

I hate Useless Female Companion Syndrome too. :P

Sansa — Self-hatred can really warp someone’s mind. Think of the character you mention in the spoilers as this:

Re-watched ‘The Hobbit’. Conclusions:

1) The movie was either too long or too repetitious, most probably both. After a certain point, you get bored of dwarves being chased and fighting orcs. This is a problem with the source material as well, but adapters ideally should fix these things as they’re adapting.
    2) Riddles in the Dark scene is just as great the second time
    3) The Misty Mountains song (as sung by the dwarves) is awesome.
    4) The part where is just as infuriating even when I’m not because that would just ruin everything.
    5) Bilbo was perfectly cast. I knew this even before I saw the movie the first time, really, but I was paying much greater attention this time, and Martin Freeman is just the right combination of neurotic, adorable, and clueless. It’s different from book-Bilbo but still very fun to watch.
    6) Dare I say I’m getting used to HFR? In some parts, it seemed too naturalistic, like a play, but there’s no denying that the visuals were eyepopping, especially the natural backdrops. New Zealand doesn’t even need to advertise for tourism anymore.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013 edited

The one thing that’s interesting about the Thorin vs Azog battle is that it is a moment in time where Thorin chooses pride and vengeance over helping the rest of the company. The battle itself might be infuriating (and I still don’t get the physics of that overhanging tree.) But I think we are starting to get some character set-up moments beyond “Thorin VS Azog the Epic Rap Battle of the Century… er Epic Battle of the Century.”

I wrote out the summary of this text on Team Liquid, but I’ll put it here as well:

For those of you that don’t know, Corey Olsen is a professor in Medieval Literature at Washington College and has developed several courses to do with Tolkien and then has gone on to create a couple different podcasts.

One of the ones was dedicated to guessing how The Hobbit would be adapted into a movie (called Riddles in the Dark). I think his lectures are more interesting on the whole, but this last one is a reflective based on what the first film presented. He is not a film critic, but is more looking at how it was adapted.

Tolkien Professor: Adaptation and Hobbit Movies

What the Podcast is Not
    1:00-5:00 No Speculation on future books/ Housecleaning **5:00-16:00 ** Not a film critic. Giant boxing, goblin roller coasters, and rabbit sleds. Tone- trying to have it both ways

Approach to Adaptations
    16:00-35:00 Purists and Another Way of Viewing Adaptations (medieval perspective)
    35:00-45:00 Why Changes? Adaptations vs Abridgements. Mediums **45:00-54:30 ** Specifics: What is the film doing? Mirkwood & Radagast- Themes
    54:30-1:05:00 Change from what? Changes from the book vs Changes from Tolkien’s writings and ideas. Careful harmonizing of the different texts.

Themes
    1:06:00-1:20:50 Took & Baggins. Bilbo’s heroism moved forward.
    1:21:00-1:30:50 Home & Belonging. Parallels between Thorin & Bilbo’s story. Tolkien’s shift in Chapter 9&10- restablishment of the kingdom and Prophecies
    1:30:50-1:41:00 Vengeance (Azog) Thorin’s Pride
    1:42:00-1:50:35 Spread of Evil. Mirkwood, Thror’s Sickness, Grudges, hints of Thorin’s corruption.
    1:50:35-1:52:30 Destiny. Providence at work- Oin’s portents, Elrond

1:52:30-1:55:20 films open conversations to talk about what the The Hobbit does regardless of like/dislike. Gateway to Tolkien

Misc Points- Listener’s Questions
    1:55:20 Moth Question
    2:00:55 Bilbo finding the Ring different between LotR and Hobbit film?
    and various other topics

A shorter one (if you skip to the halfway point past Phillip Pullman’s interview)
    Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy

I’ve now seen Les Mis three times and I’m seeing it again this weekend!

It’s much better than most movie adaptions and I am happy with it.

I’m taking my mom to see it. She knows nothing about it at all (save for the fact that a lot of people die), so hopefully she’ll enjoy it.

I may be seeing ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ today. If I do, I’ll let you guys know how it is. I’ve heard good and bad things, so it’s the sort of thing that I think I need to see for myself.

I saw Les Mis again today.

My Mom didn’t like it at all.

But she and I rarely (if ever) agree on movies so that’s no surprise.

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013

Erik the Viking.

. . . Eh, it was okay.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013

I saw Madagascar 3 with my parents. We all thought it was hilarious. I am seriously impressed by it, to be honest—people all said it was better than the second, somehow, and I am inclined to agree with them.

I am watching Vase De Noces. It’s like a better version of Piglet’s Big Movie.

I am watching Vase De Noces. It’s like a better version of Piglet’s Big Movie.

This is my new favourite movie.
    Family fun for everyone!

EDIT: OH MAH GLOB THAT WAS THE GREATEST MOVIE I’VE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE

As a 17 year old californian male, I thought I"d hate/be more than apathetic towards Le Mis, but I think it's absolutely amazing. My friends think I've been kiddnapped and replaced by a clone. But the music is so goooooooooooooooooooooood. And even though I've really got no credibility or influence, i think Russel Crowe played a great Javert and can sing pretty well. (contrary to popular opinion)
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013 edited

^I thought so too. I thought the music was amazing as well, and I don’t even normally like musicals!

Just watched a terrible, terrible Christian film about how rock music is evil.

It’s still not as bad as the They Sold Their Souls for Rock and Roll documentary, which is something like three hours of paranoia about music. And I’ve watched the whole thing.

(for some reason I just love Christian anti-rock music films.)