Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Thankfully they didn’t include the “Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are boning” subplot from Ultimates either(though those two are probably considered part of the X-Men license anyway). Ultimates had a bunch of cool stuff in it, but some pretty messed up stuff too.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012

Also: my claims about Ms. Marvel being SHIELD were incorrect. She was US Air Force/NASA intelligence or whatever.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Thankfully they didn’t include the “Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are boning” subplot from Ultimates either(though those two are probably considered part of the X-Men license anyway).

I think the most messed-up part of that subplot was how calm Wasp was when she explained it to Captain America. It wasn’t presented as a creepy-as-naked-Madonna-photos thing, or even as just a thing, but as something sweet and beautiful and totally normal.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Thank you, Sansa, for reminding me of quite possibly the stupidest plotline ever.

The worst part was how “normal” it was presented as. Um, no, in the modern world that is very thoroughly not normal, and it would hardly be unusual for someone to be disturbed or alarmed by it.

Long story short, Ultimates has had some weeeeeeird stories. One of the many reasons I’ve only ever read the excellent Spider-man related ones (only up to a couple of years ago, though).

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Wonders why it would be weird

Checks Marvel Encyclopedia

Oh.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Yeah.

Makes me wonder where Marvel gets its writers…..

Mark Millar licks goats. That is all.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Makes me wonder where Marvel gets its writers…..

George R.R. Martin?

/Knowing a bit about A Song of Ice and Fire

• CommentAuthorDanielle

A Song of Ice and Fire

Haven’t read it….

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Haven’t read it….

Me neither, but to my knowledge it involves a brother and a sister who are in a relationship with each other.

Me neither, but to my knowledge it involves a brother and a sister who are in a relationship with each other.

Yes it does. They’re twins too.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Yes it does. They’re twins too.

eye twitch Seriously, what is wrong with some writers?

eye twitch Seriously, what is wrong with some writers?

I hate to play the “out of context” card, but it’s not just thrown in there because GRRM thinks it’s hot or something. It’s included with purpose in mind.

No, what’s wrong with GRRM is he devotes too much space to writing about food.

Well, GRRM’s fat. Of course he likes food.

It took restraint not to laugh out loud at this.

I was just confirming that there was incest, but it’s not suppose to be a normal in-universe thing. Most of the other characters have problems with it and use it against the people who are incesting. It’s a liability for them, not something that is held up as good or hot or whatever.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012 edited

I was just confirming that there was incest, but it’s not suppose to be a normal in-universe thing. Most of the other characters have problems with it and use it against the people who are incesting. It’s a liability for them, not something that is held up as good or hot or whatever.

Yeah, I know you were. It’s key to Jaime’s character.

I really do worry he’s gonna eat himself into an early grave before he finishes :/

Redwall had some of my favourite descriptions of food.

Redwall had some of my favourite descriptions of food.

I tried to eat Dandelions because of Redwall. I was disappointed.

Last movie I watched was A Streetcar Named Desire.

Marlon Brando is so tasty. Was tasty. Before he got fat and ugly. Theses have been written about his perspiration.

One might also consider writing a paper comparing Vivien Leigh’s most famous roles. (Blanche Dubois and Scarlett O’Hara)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012

I feel like there’s a lot of fat-hating going on now and it makes me uncomfortable.

So changing the subject, Studio Ghibli yay! Or Hayao Miyazaki, specifically, because I plan on rewatching Lupin the Third: the Castle of Cagliostro (spelling?) soon. I don’t suppose anyone else has seen it?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Just got to my first Miyazaki the other day. It was Nausicaa. Very good.

So, no, haven’t seen Lupin, but probably will very soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Just got to my first Miyazaki the other day. It was Nausicaa. Very good.

Ooh, yes, that’s my favorite Miyazaki film. It’s better than most current post-apocalyptic stuff, twenty-five years earlier!

Marlon Brando is so tasty.

Um, YES.

One might also consider writing a paper comparing Vivien Leigh’s most famous roles. (Blanche Dubois and Scarlett O’Hara)

I could see Scarlett growing up to be Blanche.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So changing the subject, Studio Ghibli yay! Or Hayao Miyazaki, specifically, because I plan on rewatching Lupin the Third: the Castle of Cagliostro (spelling?) soon. I don’t suppose anyone else has seen it?

I’ve never watched Lupin. My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are all favorites of mine. Howl’s Moving Castle and Porco Rosso get honorable mentions. I have yet to watch Grave of the Fireflies and Tales of Earthsea.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Tales of Earthsea is okay, but it does the same thing as the miniseries did – namely, mashing the plots of two of the books together into one, so the story gets a bit mangled. The art’s great (of course), but I think they could have done more to demonstrate the variety of the world.

Kiki’s Delivery Service

I remember really liking this. It was on Disney or something when I was a kid.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Kiki’s Delivery Service

How.

How did I forget about this movie. This is my favorite Miyazaki/Ghibli movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

Watched Snow White and the Huntsman last night. It was appalling, excruciating, eye-gougingly bad. I even wrote up a detailed, rage-filled post shredding it, it was that bad.

Link?

Watched Snow White and the Huntsman last night. It was appalling, excruciating, eye-gougingly bad. I even wrote up a detailed, rage-filled post shredding it, it was that bad.

Aw, that’s sad. I was actually hoping it’d be good.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’ve heard some mixed things on it. Nobody thought it was good, of course, but some people thought it was kinda entertaining and looked pretty if you ignored the acting and story. I actually heard somebody compare it to Avatar, in that it was very pretty but the story was dumb, but I figure that must’ve been an exaggeration. After all, Avatar’s story was marginally entertaining…

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

bq. Watched Snow White and the Huntsman last night. It was appalling, excruciating, eye-gougingly bad. I even wrote up a detailed, rage-filled post shredding it, it was that bad.

My theory is that Stewart, using her considerable post-Twilight influence, alters any movie she's in to make it as bland and uninteresting as possible. That way she fits in rather than sticks out.

Stewart isn’t really a bad actress though. Twilight is just so bad that out made her seem terrible. Because she was Bella, and uninteresting is what Bella is.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I saw it on Friday. The plot is utterly ridiculous, which makes it a very good film for entertaining friend-based commentary. My group was laughing near-constantly. I can’t wait for the Rifftrax. The visuals are good; there’s a very pretty sequence, apparently inspired by Princess Mononoke, that particularly impressed me. And at one point, Stewart actually smiles!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I was watching Snow White and the Huntsman in the theater this evening when the power went out about two-thirds of the way through, right when the action was escalating. Dumb.

Interestingly, at all the times I wasn’t thinking “Dang, Chris Hemsworth is a total beast”, I was thinking “Dang, Kristin Stewart is so fine.” That’s a good thing, right? Even with the bad British accent, she’s still a hundred times more interesting/pretty than she was as Bella.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Stewart isn’t really a bad actress though. Twilight is just so bad that out made her seem terrible. Because she was Bella, and uninteresting is what Bella is.

Just a vibe I get whenever I see her. It's like cracking a smile would literally involve cracking.

I’m possibly seeing the movie tomorrow with some friends, so there’ll be another review then.

But on the topic of Kristen Stewart, from what little I know of her, she seems like a very private, introverted person. She’s not Miss Congeniality, but at least she’s not pretending to be.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012

Still holding out for my closest theater to open a slot for the _Prometheus_ midnight opening. Otherwise, I'll be off to see it Friday morning.

Kristen Stewart has a limited range, but that’s not a crime. The problem comes when she gets cast in roles outside that range. She does fine work when she’s in an appropriate role.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Which begs the question of what is an appropriate role. I heard good things about her as Joan Jett in The Runaways, but I never saw it myself.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

But on the topic of Kristen Stewart, from what little I know of her, she seems like a very private, introverted person. She’s not Miss Congeniality, but at least she’s not pretending to be.

And it’s my understanding that she should be commended for this, by being herself and not conforming to Hollywood’s standards of how people (especially women) should act.

Which begs the question of what is an appropriate role.

Adventureland.

So they’re in final negotiations for director duties on Captain America 2, and awww yeah, it’s Joe and Anthony Russo from Community.

Prepare for cognitive dissonance in 3… 2… 1…

Apparently Alan Taylor of GoT fame is directing Thor 2, which is a strange coincidence. (In terms of TV directors moving to direct Avengers films.)

EDIT: Saw the 2011 version of Jane Eyre. I really liked the cast, especially Mia Wasikowska as Jane- she could communicate so much with just her eyes. Michael Fassbender as Rochester was also good casting. The cinematography, atmosphere, and score were all gorgeous.

My one quibble: it was too short. This was kind of inevitable, because it’s a movie, but this book really deserved the 1995 A+E Pride and Prejudice treatment, especially since its cast was so perfect. Oh well- it’s still definitely a worthy film.

Rochester and Jane had no chemistry in that movie. I know Rochester is supposed to be standoffish and crude, but I just didn’t buy it when they began kissing and exclaiming their passion for one another. There was no build-up, no glances exchanged, no flirting, nothing.

There was no build-up, no glances exchanged, no flirting, nothing.

I noticed that too, but I attributed it to the overall shortness of the movie. It’s not necessarily an excuse for a weakness, but if there was more time, I think those kinds of things could be given the attention and gradual build-up they deserve. But even with that suddenness, I thought that Rochester and Jane had pretty good chemistry in the time they had.

Then again, I don’t know anything about acting. I either like stuff, or I don’t like it.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012

Just finished _John Carter_ and I'm trying to figure out why it did so poorly. Very well acted, directed, and shot, and the effects were top notch, though I wish it'd taken its time with the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012 edited

Marketing, homeboy. Marketing.

I kinda wanted to see it just to support Tim Riggins, but if I went to every movie he starred in, I’d have wound up going to Battleship too.

Apparently Alan Taylor of GoT fame is directing Thor 2, which is a strange coincidence. (In terms of TV directors moving to direct Avengers films.)

I didn’t know that. Alan Taylor is about as veteran a TV director as you can find, so good on him for getting a crack at a feature film.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Marketing, homeboy. Marketing.

Critics tore it apart, too. I'm getting a better sense of an uneven narrative, but I think there's as much indistinct about it that works for it as it does against it.

Just finished John Carter and I’m trying to figure out why it did so poorly.

Honestly, the story just seemed really boring, so I wasn’t interested. But like sansa said, I guess that’s what marketing is supposed to not do.

• CommentAuthorRocky

As far as audiences go, I think it's simply due to the fact Burroughs' stories have been aped for an entire century. The only "new" element therein was probably the setting, which, in this case, was enough to hook me.

I want one of those airships. And maybe that walking city.
    • CommentAuthorDanielle

A walking city? Do tell.

In other news, here is an excerpt from an online review of Madagascar 3.

Here’s a franchise that’s getting pretty long in the mane. It doesn’t really even have anything to do with Madagascar anymore. It carries over with an already bloated cast of zoo animals and adds a half dozen more. It was shaped and pieced together by three different directors. It jumps around with the rabid pace of a monkey with its tail on fire, throwing globs of slapstick violence at the wall just to watch them slide to the floor.

But then that flying pig hit me in the head: Just like a madcap three-ring circus, this thing was somehow working.

I now want to see it. Just to find out if the reviewer is right.

LOOKY WHAT I BOUGHT

Goodbye, productivity. Helllooooo Kubrick Marathon.

I think people have said this before, but your room has a really cool paint job.

Also, the marathon sounds fun.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. A walking city? Do tell.

!http://www.3dworldmag.com/files/2012/03/Zodanga_cinesite.jpg!

It's called Zodanga, headquarters for baddie Sab Than. All those pillars you see are mechanical legs. It has hundreds of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Re: Madagascar 3: I read a postive review of it too, by a self-proclaimed disliker of the rest of the series. They seemed as surprised as their readers at actually thinking it was pretty decent.

• CommentAuthorRocky

My sister isn't necessarily a chicken, but when it comes to movies, she isn't particularly fond of the scary stuff. In Spielberg's _War of the Worlds_, she had a particular reaction to the scene with the aliens creeping around the basement--she nearly squeezed arm off. So when she asked if she would've reacted similarly throughout _Prometheus_, I told her she most definitely would, and long before anything even happened.

Yep. I just got back from _Prometheus_, a breath of fresh sci-fi air. To get an answer to the burning question: no, it's not quite to the level of _Alien_. Following up a classic like that is bound to generate more hype than can be reached, like what George Lucas experienced leading up to _The Phantom Menace_. Thankfully, however, _Prometheus_ is entirely Jar-Jar free. Take that with a grain of salt, though, coming from me. _Alien_ and all its contents have been part of the cultural psyche for so long, I never really experienced it. I just sort of knew how the facehuggers and chestbursters worked. That being said, I've actually never seen _Alien_. Not entirely, anyway, just the notable chunks. So, in that way, maybe I was perfectly primed to enjoy this movie.

And enjoy it I did.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around my impressions of the movie, but I've pretty much decided I want to see it again. It hasn't been poured from the same constricting, claustrophobic mold as _Alien_. This one has a story with more to ponder, and even gives the audience reasons for awe and amazement. And it's my favorite sort of science fiction: the technology, world(s), and story exist without copious explanation. You're never told Michael Fassbender's David is an android because, duh, the crew already knows that. And that's one of the greatest strengths of _Prometheus_: it doesn't tell, it shows. This feeds into the pacing, which is set up in a way that maximizes your anxiety. It builds on atmosphere raher than cheap jump scares, although Ridley Scott doesn't shy from the occasional loud *bump*. In those instances, I swear I could hear Sir Ridley snickering off camera, because he knew the real scares were yet to come. That's why I told my sister she'd suffocate my arm way ahead of time. The movie doesn't rush unless the characters are panicked, and that creeping pace lets you soak in the details of every unsettling, shadow-drowned shot.

I'm not exactly sure how much longer I can blather on and make any sense, so I'll start wrapping up. The cast more than pulled their weight, with Fassbender providing the most magnetic screen presence. The visuals are absolutely magnificent--essentially a guaranteed contender for the Effects statuette at the Oscars. The audio, too, is well wrought, with a dynamic soundscape and a musical score that ebbs and flows extremely well with the onscreen drama. I don't know if you'll leave the theater with nightmare material, but it's definitely going to get you fidgeting in your seat from time to time. And the extra-terrestrial terrors? They're less defined than the legendary xenomorphs and more wayward in everything but their not so hospitable intent, but then that's the nature of _Prometheus_ in the timeline of Scott's spacebound horror.

If you like your science fiction to have some weight to it, but simultaneously enjoy that sort of movie with built in thrills, go check this out.

I think people have said this before, but your room has a really cool paint job.

Thankye. My dad is pretty awesome at that kind of thing (hand painted, too, mind you.)

Trying to decide whether to watch Dr. Strangelove or A Clockwork Orange tonight.
    oh the choices

wait why not both?
    both sounds good.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012

Just got back from Men in Black III.

I LOVED IT!

I had some doubts when I saw the previews (_MIB II_) is only good the first few times you see it, IMO) but it was everything the other two movies were and more. It felt like the trilogy was always supposed to be a trilogy; this one explained everything and was funny to boot. And I almost cried a few times.

And since the majority of the movie is set in the 1960s, the director seemed to revel in that fact. Everywhere you look, it’s the SIXTIES, people! Big dramatic page boys, tacky coffee mugs, hippies telling the baddie to “make love, not war” (yes, that happened and it was played completely shamelessly)....good stuff. I was only a casual fan of Warhol before seeing this movie, but now I love him.

Fassbender providing the most magnetic screen presence.

Honestly, he’s the main reason I want to see the movie.

How was Stringer Bell (Idris Elba, playing a character called “Janek” according to the press release) in Prometheus, Rocky? Is this going to boost his career? Will he get to be a leading man in his own movie after this?

Burroughs’ stories have been aped for an entire century

Just noticed this and laughed out loud. Aped. Burroughs’ stories have been aped.

Brb

Dying of laughter

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

How was Stringer Bell (Idris Elba, playing a character called “Janek” according to the press release) in Prometheus, Rocky? Is this going to boost his career? Will he get to be a leading man in his own movie after this?

I haven’t seen Prometheus myself, but I thought he did a fantastic job in The Wire. I really hope he gets the opportunity to be the leading man sometime soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I watched a bit of Luther, which is a British show he led in, and honestly I wasn’t very impressed. It was a while ago, but I didn’t find him a very compelling actor. Maybe it was because he wasn’t given much to work with. As I recall the premise was pretty tired.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012 edited

I'm embarrassed I forgot to mention him, because he was great. He probably brought the most pragmatism to the story and he had he strongest arc (which may not be saying too much, because most characters didn't have one).

Edit: I just read a comment somewhere suggesting Elba play John Stewart in a rebooted Green Lantern movie. I'd be all for that.

I watched A Clockwork Orange last night.

it was bizarre.

But I really really liked it.

The thing about Idris Elba(I seriously have to stop myself from writing “Stringer” every time I need to type his name) is that, while he’s a talented actor, he’ll do just about any project if they pay him enough. Sometimes this means he’ll end up in a really amazing role(Stringer Bell), but a lot of times he’s just there. I’d love to see him get some leading man stuff though. I think he could carry a film pretty comfortably if it’s written for him.

Oh, Idris Elba was awesome in Thor. God bless Kenneth Branagh.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. The thing about Idris Elba is that, while he’s a talented actor, he’ll do just about any project if they pay him enough.

I picked up on a bit of a contradiction from him. He's moderately vocal about blacks being underutilized as cast members in movies and as a production source as a whole. I don't have the source, but he mentions how he wants that to change, even posing the specific notion that, had _Inception_ been cast all black, it wouldn't have been so successful.

And yet, his larger film roles really seem to contradict this ideal. I can understand having to put a wage-earning career ahead of particular convictions, but it seemed like he said that just to say it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Willow – Agreed, I liked him a lot there.

Just watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

I am in denial about the ending.

You should read the book. Read it read it read it.

The movie is good too, though, just not as good.

I thought you were on a Kubrick marathon, Inspector? I still need to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, but I’ll second NP’s book recommendation.

You should read the book. Read it read it read it.

I already did.

I was in denial about the ending then too.

I thought you were on a Kubrick marathon, Inspector? I still need to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, but I’ll second NP’s book recommendation.

I was, but I found One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in the 5 dollar bin at WalMart and decided to watch it. I’m going to watch another Kubrick one tonight. Not sure which one, though.

I picked up on a bit of a contradiction from him. He’s moderately vocal about blacks being underutilized as cast members in movies and as a production source as a whole. I don’t have the source, but he mentions how he wants that to change, even posing the specific notion that, had Inception been cast all black, it wouldn’t have been so successful.

And yet, his larger film roles really seem to contradict this ideal. I can understand having to put a wage-earning career ahead of particular convictions, but it seemed like he said that just to say it.

He’s experienced this thing he’s talking about first hand, though, in TV at least. A big reason The Wire was low-rated and largely ignored by awards panels and such was that the majority of the cast was black. You could claim it’s because the show is merciless on lazy viewers, but its highest ratings came during Season 2, which was the season with a much higher concentration of white people in it.

It’s a good thing he’s talking about it at least, but he probably should put his money where his mouth is a little more than he does.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. You could claim it’s because the show is merciless on lazy viewers, but its highest ratings came during Season 2, which was the season with a much higher concentration of white people in it.

Is that based on local or international ratings?

bq. It’s a good thing he’s talking about it at least, but he probably should put his money where his mouth is a little more than he does.

Yeah. Still think he's awesome, though.

Is that based on local or international ratings?

US, during its original HBO run. I’m not sure if that’s been the case in other countries that have run it on TV though, but it would be interesting to look into.

• CommentAuthorRocky

My opinion of the general American public has been dropping over the years, so I can't say that surprises me. There's so much dichotomy between ethnic groups over here, I was surprised to see what looked like a more streamlined ethnic population that was, to my eyes, British. I'm thinking specifically of actors like Colin Salmon, Mark Strong, Omid Djalili, and our man Idris Elba.

I hope that didn't come off as awkward or offensive.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012

Don’t forget Chiewtol Ejolfir!

Goes to check spelling

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Shame

Seriously, though, loved him as the Operative in Serenity, and he was good in Love Actually too.

• CommentAuthorRocky

YES. He was also excellent in _Red Belt_. Very ennobling performance.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Apparently he was in a production of Othello with Ewan McGregor as Iago and Tom Hiddleston as Cassio.

I want to see this so goddamn much.

I hope that didn’t come off as awkward or offensive.

It didn’t, to me at least. The problem is that, unfortunately, people who consume visual media for, let’s say, “uncritical” reasons(it’s really hard to come up with a good word that doesn’t sound snobby and I’m pretty sure I didn’t accomplish that) want to watch someone like themselves onscreen. That’s why, generally speaking, you don’t cast a black man as the lead for your standard Hollywood blockbuster unless that black man’s name is Will Smith, Sam Jackson, or Denzel Washington. That’s also why Tyler Perry has had such crazy financial success, because he’s targeting a market that has been historically underserved, even if it’s lame pandering crap.

Ultimately, Idris Elba’s ability to land leading roles in major pictures is gonna be determined not by whether he can act well and carry a movie(since we all know he can), but whether he can put (white and latino)butts in seats.

Just finished up Dr. Strangelove.

And it was strange.

I did like it, though.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Having spent some time thinking over it, I think I'll add to my thoughts on _Prometheus_. Unfortunately, they're largely negative, though not deal breakers (for me, anyway).

_Prometheus_ is visually arresting, but its content is obscure and sometimes bafflingly confusing, and I can't tell if it was intentional on Scott's part. It's no secret the movie was born as a direct prequel to _Alien_, with Scott being interested in the Space Jockey glimpsed near the beginning. What's interesting, though, is how unrelated it is to _Alien_. I'm convinced that, aside from the appearances of the Space Jockey suit, the Derelict, and the use of the name Weyland, _nothing_ in this film ties to _Alien_ in anything but distant, indirect terms. Ultimately, the movie raises more questions than it answers. I don't mind that, but that might (and, frankly, has) frustrate others.

Another issue concerns the characters. I mentioned how _Prometheus_' content is sometimes bafflingly obscure, and at a few choice instances the characters sway that way, albeit more in the light of stupid. There are two moments I'm thinking of, but to mention them would be to spoil portions of the movie. However, to say I--a moviegoer who generally has little trouble with movie world immersion--noticed those moments definitely says something.

I did want to keep things optimistic, though, so I'll mention the music for anyone who may be interested. I'd been listening to it sporadically in the weeks leading up to the movie's release, and intensely since seeing it. It was composed largely by Marc Streitenfeld, with some bits supplied by Harry Gregson-Williams, and an arrangement of one of Goldsmith's themes from _Alien_. The music hits all the right "dissonant, creepy, spine-tingling notes":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2MIeNHQq5I and does so rather effectively, perhaps on par with James Newton Howard's _The Sixth Sense_. What's absolutely dumbfounding and incredible is the fact it also instills a "sublime sense of wonder":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzI3AdpA9e4 in tracks such as "Life" and "We Were Right"; they're quietly potent and hard to stop replaying. Another satisfying aspect is confined to the latter portions and is a novelty for the Alien franchise by introducing a "grand, almost horrific swell of music":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qN744bWV3w to match the building excitement in the movie. Streitenfeld is really distancing himself from his Remote Control roots. I highly recommend the score.

I still recommend the movie. It shows and doesn't tell (for better or worse), and that gives everything, especially the horror elements, a more immediate, palpable reality.

The Shining.

I’ve seen it before.

but DAMN is that a scary movie.

Well, it’s scary until Nicholson goes ax-crazy. Maybe because I was watching it at five-am, but he’s just HILARIOUS when he’s going nuts. (though the hedge maze scene is scary. But the breaking down the door scene = instant laughter.)

It’s a brilliant film, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012 edited

The Avengers

I wouldn’t call it a good film. It was cheesy, predictable and cliche; It was so flat, transparent and predictable that I started losing interest halfway through. RBJ was the only thing that kept me engaged and entertained. Iron Man was by far the best character in the entire film.

I enjoyed parts of it, but I don’t have any desire to see it again and I don’t think I would recommend it to any of my friends.

Edit: Fixed typos and stuff. Basically, I didn’t like it.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012

I'm genuinely shocked there's someone else who didn't find that movie....oh, I dunno....transcendental.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I don’t understand all of the hype. I get that it’s supposed to be a fun, over-the-top super hero movie, but I didn’t even enjoy it that much. I like superhero movies, comics and cartoons, but The Avengers just felt hollow and cheap. I expected more from a Joss Whedon film.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I enjoyed it, but I can definitely see why another person could dislike it. Personally, I tried not to watch it too much in the perspective of Art or Cinema or Story, but as a mindless little bit of wish-fulfillment childishness. I enjoyed it as a nostalgic throwback to when I used to play make-believe with my friends, not as a piece of theatric art. I enjoyed Extremely Loud and Incredible Close as theatric art; I enjoyed Iron Man and The Fantastic Four and X-Men and Avengers as silly little bits of child’s play.

Although the line “puny god” made me chuckle, I must admit.

as stated, pure wish-fulfillment revenge fantasy stuff.

• CommentAuthorRocky

"His first name is 'Agent'."

I agree, Stark was my favorite part.

I’m genuinely shocked there’s someone else who didn’t find that movie….oh, I dunno….transcendental.

Eh, it’s not transcendental, just fun. I think it loses a lot if you don’t watch it with a crowd that’s really into it.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012

The main reason I enjoyed it was the sheer spectacle, but there were a lot of little character moments that I liked. Hulk and Black Widow in particular were given much more depth than I was expecting.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012

The reason I specifically used "transcendental" is due, in large part, to "this article":http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9723-Should-The-Avengers-Be-at-the-Oscars. And the writer, an independent critic, is one I would consider otherwise level-headed.

Hulk and Black Widow in particular were given much more depth than I was expecting.

This was the first movie where I actually enjoyed the Hulk. Normally, he’s kind of boring. I don’t know if it was because it was an ensemble piece, he was given a more complex, insecure motivation, or Mark Ruffalo just got the character better than anyone else, but he rocked.

And I really want a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012

Just finished watching The Italian Job (the old one), which I’d never seen before. It’s a surprisingly funny movie! Especially the ending… “Err… I have a great idea…”

• CommentAuthorSen

I watched Unknown. Wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t as amazing as I wanted it to be. One of those rare moments where I didn’t love something Liam Neeson was in.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

Just got to say this about John Carter, since I read the books.

1: Zodanga isn’t supposed to be moving

2: Kantos Kan is the third biggest badass in the books behind Carter and Tars Tarkis (who kicks more ass than in the movies)

3: The Therns are supposed to be on the same technological level as red martians.

4: There are no stairs on mars for some reason

5: Martians hav eboth swords and 100-round assault rifles.

6: Woola needs bigger teeth.

Liked the movie, just being a purist.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Liked the movie, just being a purist.

I don't think anyone's going to fault you over that. Although, I'm a bit miffed Zodanga's mobility is novel only to the movie. I like the concept.

Went to see _Prometheus_ again, but I wound up walking away with even more questions. Can't figure if it's due to script holes or really, really subtle layering.

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Well, THAT was a confusing movie. I really liked most of it, but the end was baffling.

I need to watch it again sometime and it’ll probably make more sense on a second viewing.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012

Saw MiB3 and Prometheus last week. Cannot advise seeing the former. The more I think about the latter, the more I like it; as a diehard fan of the Alien series I don’t feel like it’s a timeless classic like Alien and Aliens but is certainly a better showing than the last two.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012

I have a feeling we'll be seeing some sort of director's cut for _Prometheus_, Leliel. I saw gaps of logic and pacing that echoed far too identically to his theatrical cut for _Kingdom of Heaven_. I think 20th Century Fix screwed him over. Again.