Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012 edited

Welp, just got back from seeing the Avengers. And it. Was. Awesome. I haven’t seen a movie in theaters for ages, but this was completely worth it. If only there were an IMAX theater close enough for me to see it there!

I have to say, I don’t really get why everyone’s so gaga over Hawkeye. Hulk was clearly the best part of the film.

EDIT: Non-spoilery review: if you haven’t seen this thing, go see it. It’s amazing. I really have no complaints about it. A few parts in the beginning maybe dragged a teensy bit, but once they got into action, it was just nonstop awesome from there. It made me laugh, it made me maybe have a couple of manly (womanly, I guess) tears, and there were sufficient “Aha!” moments for me that I didn’t feel like it was mindless. Everyone was gloriously in-character, and I reiterate that while Hawkeye was pretty cool, the Hulk completely stole the show from everyone.

And very spoilery stuff:

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

I don’t know the first thing about the Avengers, except people are going crazy about it on Tumblr and stuff. Do I have to have seen the previous movies for it to make sense? Or read the comics? Or have I got it all wrong?

Okay, normally, I don’t like the Hulk because let’s face it, he’s kind of boring, but in The Avengers he’s just hilarious! I actually liked Mark Ruffalo.

@ BlueMask

For the most part, you should be okay. I have read none of the comics, and only seen Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man. I did not see Iron Man 2 or Incredible Hulk. I still got what was going on.

@SWQ

YES.

Yeah, seeing the component films isn’t really necessary, and none of them really stand up to The Avengers anyway, except perhaps the original Iron Man.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@BlueMask – It would be helpful to know the basics of who each character is, but other than that, no specific plot elements from the earlier movies are really all that important, or at least not so important, you can’t work around them.

A quick, nonspoilery (for any of the movies, as much as possible) rundown:

I think that covers all the really important stuff.

Excellent summary. One note, though.

but actually from the plant Asgard

ROFL

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Thanks for the rundown! I might watch the other movies first, but I’d love to see Avengers in the cinema soon.

I watched the Les Miserables movie. It was . . . short

Missed this.

WHICH movie? there’s like a million.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012 edited

Superhero Movies Like Avengers Assemble Should Not Be Scorned by Tom Hiddleston, the actor who plays Loki, and who is officially my new favorite actor.

Along with Chris Evans, who apparently helped pack up the set when they finished filming. Dawww.

The one with Liam Neelson and Geoffrey Rush.

We watched the Liam Neeson one in one if my classes instead of reading the book.

The one with Liam Neelson and Geoffrey Rush.

That one sucks, ugh.
    It completely misses the point of the book.

We watched the Liam Neeson one in one if my classes instead of reading the book.

lsdfjlasnfglasgnjasgl

KARAMAZOVA RAGE

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012

lsdfjlasnfglasgnjasgl

Amen, sister. Amen.

This is what I feel about watching crappy movies instead of reading the books (hidden for language):

Does it make the ragers feel better that the movie sparked my interest in the book, so I kind of want to read it now? The movie was okay for a movie (without knowing how much it butchered the source material), but Cossette really irritated me.

I thought it was a bit silly, too, for a literature class to have us watch a movie based on a book instead of just reading the damn book. Her argument was that it was too long.

^ In some cases, it’s okay. We watched a few movies adapted from plays in my Lit class, because it’s all dialogue anyway.

Hulk was clearly the best part of the film.

This. I went tonight, thought it was pretty cool, and the Hulk was obviously the winner. The rest of it was fine, though not worth hyperventilating over.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

Spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012 edited

Does it make the ragers feel better that the movie sparked my interest in the book, so I kind of want to read it now?

I’ll be honest, the movie did that for me, too. Which is good. What I don’t understand are teachers who substitute the movie (any movie) for the book. Many of my friends have had the experience in their academic careers, and few of them wanted to go on and read the books. It’s ok that books get made into movies, I just wish teachers wouldn’t unintentionally imply that watching the movie is almost as good (or, in the case of some teachers, as good) as reading the book. Books and movies are two totally different experiences (which I’m sure we all know, so I’m kinda preaching to the choir here). It just really irritates me when the book is so amazing (like Les Miserables) and the movie is so ridiculous in comparison.

OK, my rant’s over. :)

Does it make the ragers feel better that the movie sparked my interest in the book, so I kind of want to read it now?

Hidden for fangirling:

You should give it a read sometime. :)

The rest of it was fine, though not worth hyperventilating over.

Yeah, it’s not a thinking man’s film, it’s just damn fun. Which is what it set out to do, so it’s a great movie by my standards. It’s not a Christopher Nolan Batman movie, but honestly, I’m glad it isn’t. I almost feel like those movies would be tarnished by imitators.

Also, while I watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I’m sitting there thinking ‘Oh, this is really good’ but with Avengers, it’s just so much more fun to watch. I have a special place in my heart for movies I can geek out over with my geeky friends. Thus the hyperventilating. A guilt-free guilty pleasure in my book. :)

Yeah, that line reads way harsher than I intended. It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed watching, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy watching it again in the future. I’ve been pretty burnt out on “spectacle” stuff for a while, now, though, so it didn’t really get my blood pumping like it would’ve when I was a teenager. Except for the Hulk parts. Those were wonderful.

The biggest criticism I have of the movie is(spoilered just for safety):

I have a special place in my heart for movies I can geek out over with my geeky friends.

Hey, I understand that all too well.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

lol you said power levels lol

Seriously, though, playing rock paper scissors with superhero characters is beyond ordinary levels of geekiness.

Yeah, I almost made a joke about scouters, but thought, no, I mustn’t undermine my very serious point.

Yeah, those kinds of things go completely over my head.

For me, the biggest flaw of the movie was that the antagonists’ motives were not very well defined. Loki was a lot of fun to watch, but I had no idea what was going on with the alien deal, etc.. I knew the basics, but it was still kind of sketchy for me. I can see why it happened- the movie really focused on the team more than the adversary, so maybe now that the Avengers are better established, the next movie can really flesh out the villain.

(Oddly enough, this is the trajectory of the Batman movies, but Scarecrow and Ra’s Al Ghul were pretty well defined, I think, mostly because the message was hammered at the audience again and again.)

I think even Loki isn’t quite sure what he’s doing. He’s a master of chaos, not master of clearly defined and sensible plans. Though gotta say, him lurking in the back of a pickup truck is hilarious.

I mean, seriously… he still kicks ass and is a legitimate threat, but… wat.

He’s a master of chaos, not master of clearly defined and sensible plans.

Yeah, I had a feeling that this is what Loki is supposed to be (haven’t read the comics, so don’t take me as a reliable source). But the mythological Loki was definitely a trickster and not above stirring some mischief just for the lulz. I think the movie didn’t go too far with that just because of the Joker comparisons, which I completely understand, but it left the waters kind of muddy.

Anyway, I love the Loki in the myths, so I’m slightly disappointed that we didn’t see the original troll on screen.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

As I recall there were some pretty terrible practical jokes played, too. Something about Thor losing an eye, or something.

I think Loki’s plan was presented as a lot more complex/convoluted than it was.

I mean, seriously… he still kicks ass and is a legitimate threat, but… wat.

Meh. It seemed like he spent most of the time beating up on regular schmoes.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

He’s a master of chaos, not master of clearly defined and sensible plans.

I don’t know, he struk me as more of a schemer. And as for why he’d was the Teseract, well, wouldn’t you want the great, cosmic, do-anything McGuffin?

I don’t know, he struk me as more of a schemer.

Yes, you’re right, I take back what I said before. It’s more obvious in Thor than in Avengers though…I guess his logic went a little slipshod after his incident.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

And as for why he’d was the Teseract, well, wouldn’t you want the great, cosmic, do-anything McGuffin?

He didn’t want the Cube for himself(I don’t know why he wouldn’t just keep it, though). He wanted to trade it to Thanos.

Is this Tesseract thing the same source of energy that the Frost Giants were trying to steal in Thor or is that some other blue mystical energy source?

I haven’t seen Thor or Captain America so I can’t say for sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me. The Cosmic Cube(I guess “The Tesseract” sounds cooler or something) has been a frequent Marvel McGuffin since the 60s in more titles than Avengers so you’d figure they’d want to introduce it in one of the previous movies so people know what they’re supposed to be fighting over.

Nopedy nope, SWQ. That was a casket that freezes stuff. The Cosmic Cube/Tesseract is from Captain America: The First Avenger.

EDIT: Yeah, Sansa. Hydra found it in Norway during WWII and used it to power energy weapons and stuff. Then it got dropped in the Atlantic Ocean. Then Howard Stark fished it out, and worked on it, then hid it. Then Tony Stark found it during Iron Man 2 (I’m guessing on this part, because I haven’t seen Iron Man 2).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Re: Loki in a pickup truck. I loled. Hard. He’s in full Asgardian godmode (literally), just chillin’ in a pickup truck. It was pretty great.

@Willow – It didn’t come up in Iron Man 2, actually. I don’t know how SHIELD got ahold of it. I figured it was passed down from Howard Stark to them somehow, but I don’t think it was ever elaborated on.

I’m unfamiliar with the Cosmic Cube, but is it sort of like… well, a Mother Box from the DC universe, a convenient, nebulously-defined alien MacGuffin that can do pretty much anything depending on what the writer wants it to do?

Pretty much. “Alter reality” and what have you.

“Tesseract” makes me think of Madeline L’Engle.

“Low-Key” Lyesmith!

“Tesseract” makes me think of Madeline L’Engle.

Yes! I loved A Wrinkle In Time.

“Low-Key” Lyesmith!

I just got to that part in American Gods. Wow, I’m stupid for not realizing it beforehand. facepalm

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012

I felt the same way, and I knew a good bit of Norse mythology at the time.

• CommentTimeMay 10th 2012

So apparently The Avengers cast played DDR until five in the morning at Hawkeye’s house. And Loki always won. This will never not be funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012

Ahaha, I agree, that can never not be funny.

Currently watching a version of HMS Pinafore.

Gilbert and Sullivan FTW

I felt the same way, and I knew a good bit of Norse mythology at the time.

The funny thing is, the name Loki has been lurking around in my head because of The Avengers and I STILL didn’t make the connection.

• CommentTimeMay 12th 2012

“Low-Key” Lyesmith!

JUST NOW realized not only Low-Key(Loki) but also Lye-smith(lie-smith!!!!!!)

Brain asplode.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012

Rio. So adorable.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

The Grey. It pushed me to the point where I broke down crying. And I've sat through many of the great tear jerkers without crying.

The Grey. It pushed me to the point where I broke down crying. And I’ve sat through many of the great tear jerkers without crying.

What’s it about?

Isn’t is about wolves trying to eat Liam Neeson? Or something? Anyway, I might have to see it now.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

Isn’t is about wolves trying to eat Liam Neeson?

Though I think at the beginning there are more people trying to survive the wolves.

^^EWWW!

And it has the Doctor, which somehow makes the whole thing worse. :/

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

The Grey is about Liam Neeson and six other oil workers being stranded in the artic after surviving a bloody plain crash. They have to hike south, while battling blizzards, each other, and a pack of wolves whose territory they’re intruding upon. There’s also a deeper emotional and philosophical side.

I am officially disturbed.

O_o

what is

I have now seen The Grey. I thought it was alright. Depressing, but it was well done. I felt really cold the whole time I was watching it, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012

I just watched The Avengers.
    Now I really want to see the other movies, because ho my gawd has my life been missing something. Seriously, seriously, amazing. Just…wow.

I feel the same, BlueMask! I just watched it yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised to say the lease. :D

• CommentTimeMay 21st 2012 edited

Mwahahahaha. Glad you two are joining the fun! Here, look at these.

Avengers
    Loki
    :D

Oh, my god, that Shiitake Mushroom page is the best thing I’ve ever seen.

...what? What about Shiitake Mushrooms? EXPLAIN.

The new II error page, I assume. And it is really great.

...WHERE.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

That error page has been here for weeks now, though.

...WHERE.

I was about to answer your question before I realized you posted the links in the first place. (Unless you are genuine, in which case check your links.)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

You’ve gotta put the “http://” bit before links or it thinks they’re a local link on II.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Here, Willow, you might be able to see it through here.

Avengers

FIXED MY LINKS, SORRY. Lolz.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Saw Tintin. As great as everyone said it was. A really fun throwback/knowing nod to Raiders and Last Crusade.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012

Thanks for the links…I already track those threads, actually! There’s some great stuff in the Avengers fandom.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

Saw Chernobyl Diaries. Not too bad, in my opinion. I wrote up some thoughts, if anyone’s interrested.

I saw that you were the last one to post in this thread, Inspector, and I thought, “I bet it’s Les Mis pictures.” I was close. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012

That is going to epic!!! An amazing story with an amazing cast! Can’t wait to see it!

I saw that you were the last one to post in this thread, Inspector, and I thought, “I bet it’s Les Mis pictures.” I was close. ;)

I’m the forum Les Mis Twit. :D

That is going to epic!!! An amazing story with an amazing cast! Can’t wait to see it!

I NO RITE.

Actually, I’m kind of apprehensive about Crowe. He looks a bit too cuddly for Javert.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I saw the trailer and it looks interesting even if I have no idea what the plot is I may see it when it is out of theaters.

I saw the trailer and it looks interesting even if I have no idea what the plot is I may see it when it is out of theaters.

It’s about a convict who gets out of jail after serving 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. After an encounter with a Bishop, he decides to turn his life around for good and breaks his parole and going into hiding, emerging as a new man. He devotes his life to raising an orphan girl, who thinks of him as her father. Throughout the years, he keeps running into Javert, an officer of the law who wants to bring him to justice, and ends up fighting at the barricades during the student revolution of 1832.

In a nutshell.

Really, I can’t do it justice, but it is my favourite book ever and I’m super excited for the movie. (I love the musical so much. But not as much as the book.)

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Actually, I’m kind of apprehensive about Crowe. He looks a bit too cuddly for Javert.

I can't speak for Javert, but after seeing _Body of Lies_ and _State of Play_, I wouldn't doubt Crowe's ability to be uncuddly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

It’s about a convict who gets out of jail after serving 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. After an encounter with a Bishop, he decides to turn his life around for good and breaks his parole and going into hiding, emerging as a new man. He devotes his life to raising an orphan girl, who thinks of him as her father. Throughout the years, he keeps running into Javert, an officer of the law who wants to bring him to justice, and ends up fighting at the barricades during the student revolution of 1832.

Yes perfect.

(Curse me for not having those images saved!)

I can’t speak for Javert, but after seeing Body of Lies and State of Play, I wouldn’t doubt Crowe’s ability to be uncuddly.

I’m concerned about the voice, too.

I’m also worried about cuts to the score, as the show’s over 3 hours long.

The Les Mis trailer gave me goosebumps!! That has to be one of my favorite musicals of all times! SO EXCITED! AND IT’S COMING OUT AROUND ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS THE HOBBIT!! Guys, it’s going to be an EPIC winter!

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Welp, just got back from seeing the Avengers. And it. Was. Awesome.

Agreed. It’s the only Marvel movie that has actually made me like Hulk. Before that, he was just a wimpy little guy who turned into the Angry Green Giant whenever he got a parking ticket. Less Incredible Hulk and more like the Adequate Hulk. But in this movie…..dang.

Though I’d have to disagree with you, when you say that he was the best part of the film. I think the dynamic between Cap and Tony was the best.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

The Great Gatsby anyone?

Amanda Seyfried as Cosette?

Um… actually, perfect casting. Amanda Seyfried is the exact same type of useless, wibbling pretty face as Cosette.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

My thoughts on Amanda Seyfried are, “has she been in anything not Twilighty?” Regardless of her actual credits, she just feels like the person who’s in stuff targeted at teen girls and nothing else.

She was in Big Love. I think she left that show to be in Twilighty things.

She was also Lily Kane in Veronica Mars. I’m not really sure why we’re hating on her.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

She was also Lily Kane in Veronica Mars. I’m not really sure why we’re hating on her.

I don’t hate her (and she was great in Veronica Mars, even if I can never remember that she was in it), that’s just the impression I get. I actually kinda like her.

Kate Beaton says we’re going to have to shut down the B Files

Amanda Seyfried is pretty. What are you going to do about it?

I don’t have a problem with Amanda Seyfried either. She’s been in quite a few movies that I would have no interest in, but that doesn’t make her a bad actress or anything.

Never saw Veronica Mars. Just… I dunno, I get weird about actors. Some just annoy me for various reasons. Like… Robin Williams. Or Channing Tatum. With Amanda Seyfried, it’s just she always looks so smug.

The Les Mis trailer gave me goosebumps!! That has to be one of my favorite musicals of all times! SO EXCITED! AND IT’S COMING OUT AROUND ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS THE HOBBIT!! Guys, it’s going to be an EPIC winter!

I NO RITE?

I can’t even
    just

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

^^ pretend that keymash was insightful.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

With Amanda Seyfried, it’s just she always looks so smug.

Yes! I never realized it, but she totally does! (Still doesn’t mean I don’t like her.)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

Hogfather is a really enjoyable movie. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it (because I love the book so dearly), but it was actually a really faithful adaptation. I don’t know how well someone would understand it if they hadn’t read the book (a few things didn’t seem to be explained very well), but I loved it.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

I enjoyed it, and I haven’t read the book. Then again, I still knew some things that weren’t explained because of wikipedia.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Hogfather is a really enjoyable movie. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it (because I love the book so dearly), but it was actually a really faithful adaptation. I don’t know how well someone would understand it if they hadn’t read the book (a few things didn’t seem to be explained very well), but I loved it.

The movie was my first introduction to Discworld, actually. Before even knowing the books existed, I was able to guess it was based on a book sequel, as the Death of Rats and the Raven were kinda weirdly introduced and handled. I read the book some time after, then watched the movie again, and it remains a really good adaptation.

There’s also an adaptation of Making Money in similar veins, which is really good (though I haven’t read the book yet).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Making Money or Going Postal? Going Postal’s the earlier of the two books. And I’m going to have to look that one up, mainly because Moist is (usually) my favorite Discworld character. (It varies depending on what I’m reading. :wink)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Wooops, I meant Going Postal.

Also, just say the Avengers. It was good. I really hope they ditch Black Widow and Hawkeye for Ant-man and the Wasp in the next movie (Black Widow and Hawkeye could always get their own movie—at least Black Widow, because she’s interesting), and then maybe replace Thor or the Hulk for Ms. Marvel in a third (she worked for S.H.I.E.L.D., if I remember correctly, so it’s a good window to add in the character and having a female in the top three of the group (I’d assume that’s where she’d end up due to her power and control) would be interesting).

• CommentAuthorRocky

I've been oddly obsessed with wanting to see Steven Spielberg direct a Star Wars movie and Brad Bird direct a CGI motion-capture Jonny Quest movie.

Black Widow and Hawkeye are part of the Ultimate Avengers. Presumably the producers/screenwriters thought a superhero movie about domestic violence wouldn’t go over well with the public and therefore did not include Ant Man and Wasp.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited

bq.Presumably the producers/screenwriters thought a superhero movie about domestic violence wouldn’t go over well with the public and therefore did not include Ant Man and Wasp.

Oh yikes, I never knew their story went that far! From what I remember, one of them just cheated on the other and then break up.

EDIT: “From what I remember” being what I’ve read about them, not from actual comics.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Oh yikes, I never knew their story went that far! From what I remember, one of them just cheated on the other and then break up.

Oh yeah. It was actually a pretty big part of his character—a cross between fatal flaw and coping mechanism.

....I think Whedon was wise to leave him out. Though I did like Wasp, I was never a big fan of Ant-Man.

More on Ant-Man’s spousal abuse here (sorta NSFW). It’s number three on the list, but the others are amusing as well.

And Ant-Man’s thoughts about the Avengers movie.