Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

THAT WAS NOT REALLY A RHYME, AND ALSO WAS ENTIRELY COINCIDENTAL

What happened to See-Moan, Sansa?

He’s on break for awhile.

Don’t worry, Bunk. I got your back here.

You happy now, bitch?

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012

Sheesh

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

BREADKING DAWN THIS YEAR

I still haven’t seen Hunger Games and I have no intention whatsoever of seeing it in the future, but I’ll give it this: It does a great job of letting me know which of my facebook friends are creeps.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Breadking Dawn? The King of Bread?

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Sansa, howso? I do not understand.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012 edited

Because for some reason, facebook seems like the appropriate venue to some for talking about their weird Jennifer Lawrence fantasies.

edit also veiled racism regarding casting decisions

I saw The Artist tonight.

It was adorable and classy. It really felt like I was watching an old movie.

The plot was nothing new, but it was delivered in such a way it didn’t feel cliched.

Also, the dog is the most precious thing in the world.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I saw the Hunger Games yesterday (it was for a friend’s birthday party). I really hated the shaky cam, and all the disjointed shots of action is really annoying. While the romantic scenes are not to my liking, I guess they are necessary to set up the ending of the movie. The ending still sucked, though. It would’ve been better SPOILER:

It would’ve been much more interesting and uncoventional that way.

However, I loved the action in the movie. It’s been a while since I’ve watched any movies that actually had some tension and made my heart rate go up a bit.

I think I’ll wait for the dvd to come out, so that I can re-watch the movie with subtitles on. I might also pick up the book sometime in the semester break.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012

@sansa- yeah, it’s been all over Tumblr. Sometimes I really lose faith in humanity, you know?

Jennifer Lawrence is a sort of celebrity crush of mine. She’s so refreshingly outspoken, you know?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012

Breadking Dawn? The King of Bread?

I have no idea. I just made the typo and went with it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012

I watched this Korean movie called Harmony. It was incredibly melodramatic but I cried my eyes out anyway. That is the way of things.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited

I'm probably just thick and unattentive, but I just noticed something about Nolan's Batman films. Leaning toward what could be realistic, he's thus far cast his major villains as terrorists. Even Joker's referred to as a terrorist at one point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

That’s why some people have interpreted them as an allegory for the current state of American politics—the whole idea of bending the laws (by allowing a vigilante like Batman) for the safety of others, as well as whether or not it’s acceptable to infringe on others’ freedoms (by Batman in general, but also things like the Bat-magic-seeing-through-walls-device in TDK. I think that might be stretching things a bit far, but I don’t think it would be inaccurate to say Nolan deliberately chose to play up the terrorism angle because that’s such a huge part of the public consciousness right now. Or at least the American consciousness.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Yeah, I think it just plays to the current moral and philosophical dilemmas in the Western First World. Does a good job with ‘em too.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. I don’t think it would be inaccurate to say Nolan deliberately chose to play up the terrorism angle because that’s such a huge part of the public consciousness right now. Or at least the American consciousness.

I think they're as close as we get to real world super villains. Another weird thing about Nolan's villains is how they're crafted. The "minor" villains--Scarecrow, Falcone, Maroni, Two-Face, and Catwoman--are onscreen very nearly how they are in the comics. But for the big three--Ra's, Joker, and Bane--they're intact in terms of character, motivation, and action, but their origins are skewed in favor of more plausible alternatives. Not sure if there's a reason for that.
    • CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited

they’re intact in terms of character, motivation, and action, but their origins are skewed in favor of more plausible alternatives. Not sure if there’s a reason for that.

I’m sure there is. As for why it’s there, well, it’s pretty darn fascinating to watch play out, isn’t it? To have that one guy (do we only focus on one villain at a time? Not sure as I don’t really follow the movies) who can really get inside the hero’s head; who not only embodies the impurities the superhero’s fighting against, but also serves as an amplified representation of the hero’s own flaws or fears, making it something that he must confront each time they make contact.

It’s a pretty potent thing and to have the minor villains serve the same purpose would completely dilute that. Our hero’s super-special. :P We don’t want him to be vulnerable, (and yeah, he can be vulnerable to the villain on a number of levels no matter his power) to every other bad guy that crosses him.

Maybe their origins are skewed to make it all just seem so much more realistic, the way they turned out. Villains being bad for the sake of being bad is boring. Having something deeper to their past though, a whole lot more interesting. Especially when we look back on it and realize how the pasts of both the hero and villain affected their every decision and action that eventually led them up to the point that they clash.

Not sure what to say on the whole terrorist thing, though…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Well, to be fair, you couldn’t have either Ra’s or the Joker’s comic book origins in Nolan’s movies, unless he wants to bring in the supernatural. With Ra’s comes in all the stuff about the Lazarus Pits and the functional immortality thing, and the Joker’s dunked-in-chemical thing isn’t particularly plausible. By contrast, Two-Face, Carmine Falcone, Maroni, Scarecrow, the whole lot, they’ve never been too closely linked to the supernatural. Which brings up a whole separate question of why Batman’s main villains have that element to them while his minor ones don’t, but I don’t have any theories on that one!

On Bane and Catwoman, I don’t really want to comment on them until I see the movie. So long as they keep Bane’s intelligence, though, I’ll be happy.

To add to the “the movies are about terrorism” idea, by the way, I’ve just been thinking it through more, and I think another important (and related) theme is that of fear. What do we do when we are afraid? Do we let it conquer us or do we overcome it? The fear gas in Begins was pretty overt about fear, obviously, but the Joker was about it too, especially about how far he could push people when they were frightened. Time will tell if Bane is about it too, although what we’ve already seen/heard does seem to imply that he’s trying to take over or destroy Gotham, which would undoubtedly involve quite a bit of fear!

Well, fear’s pretty central to Nolan’s Batman himself, too.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying his first two Batmovies are about terrorism(though you could put together a pretty coherent argument regarding allegorical subtext in it), but terrorism and supervillainy have a lot of overlap and being true to the “realistic” milieu he wanted pretty much required him to draw the comparison for it to be credible.

WRT the omission of Ra’s and the Joker’s origin stories, I thought was one of the best story choices he made in both movies. Superhero stories in general and superhero movies in specific are way too obsessed with origin stories. The “how they got here” is rarely as compelling as the “what do they do now that they’re here?”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The “how they got here” is rarely as compelling as the “what do they do now that they’re here?”

Could not agree more. Even in Begins, a lot of it really was “how did Batman get started”, but at least there was some action and interesting things, not just Bruce staring longingly at his parents’ graves for hours or something. He never explains how you get from young Bruce to Bruce-who-wants-to-kill-Joe-Chill to Bruce-in-China, only hints at it. So many superhero-related things screw this up. Nobody wants to see Batman failing at being Batman or Spider-man failing at being Spider-man! We want to see them being awesome! This idea that we have to rehash the story over and over again… eeeenh. Very annoying. Go look at some great epics of history. Did the Iliad explain how everybody grew up and learned how to fight and sailed to Troy? No, it’s like “we’re going to go fight the Trojans!” and then suddenly they’re off fighting the Trojans. Homer just assumed his audience already knew the backstory, or at least were intelligent enough to figure it out. Did Beowulf start with Beowulf learning which end of a sword is the pointy one? No, it starts with Beowulf showing up and asserting his awesomeness.

And that’s why Smallville sucks.

Wait, what?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Swenson: Well said. That strikes a note.

I think that’s what I felt when I watched it. One of the dominant themes in modern society, particularly in America, is fear: school shootings, terrorism, violence in all forms, rape, hatred, disease, big government. There are so many things of which we are afraid. And it is a strong and cathartic element in the movies; exploring what fear is and how it is overcome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

The “how they got here” is rarely as compelling as the “what do they do now that they’re here?”

Definitely. It can be likened to how I feel about some books; I’ve reread their beginnings many times and then dropped the book, making me not want to reread the book further because I’ve read the start so much. Then with superheroes, the only way they’re ever featured in non-comic book situations is in their origin stories and so we get sick of it.

Yeah, I think the reason Begins works as well as it does compared most other origin movies is that it’s less concerned with cause-effect relationship(parents murdered, therefore wear batclothes), and more with the Bruce Wayne developing and honing his sense of justice. His parents’ murder is obviously still the original impetus, but it’s got more to do with the person answering questions about his life and his place in the world and really growing into a hero rather than just becoming one.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

If you can appreciate good fight sequences then check out this scene from the film The Protector. Impressive is an understatement.

Is it time to post links to that ComicsAlliance commentary on all Batman movies since the dawn of time again?

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel

Saw Hunger Games on Tuesday. Some movie/book spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Welcome back, Leliel!

I haven’t read or seen the Hunger Games yet, but so far it seems like its been getting very mixed reviews.

I saw Hugo a couple of days ago. It was definitely a good film, but its been about a week since I’ve seen it and I still don’t know what to say about it. I really liked the train station setting and all the stories that went on in the background. The soundtrack was excellent, and it really helped set the mood and pace of the film. The story wasn’t quite what I was expecting going in, but it was good regardless. The only small complaint that I have with the film is that

That’s really the only thing that bothered me about the film.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m currently watching Breaking Dawn: Part 1 for the first time.

I’m kind of at a loss for words. I was incredibly bored for the first three-quarters, and then suddenly there’s this scene with all the wolves looking their corniest, having this super dramatic mind-argument, and I lost it.

I’m with my friend who got super offended the first couple of times I criticized aspects of the movie though, so in the interest of not being a bitch, I had to laugh myself to death inside.

Bridesmaids. Not as riotously hilarious as it was hyped to be, but still a solid piece of female-centered entertainment.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012

Tangential rant: I hate movies made to compete for Oscars. Worthless rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

@Spanman,
    I feel for you. The same thing happens when I’m around my in-laws.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

I picked up Gran Torino at a thrift store.

Wow.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012

Looper teaser.

A good cast of actors and the movie looks interesting, but I’m not convinced that they’ll be able to execute it.

• CommentAuthorSen

Pretty interesting plot. Also! Bruce Willis! :D Also! Also! Joseph Gordon-Levitt. :D

And, uh, Piper Perabo. BOOOOOO. >:(

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I watched a movie for the first time in ages… Dark City, the 1998 one. I found it mentioned in the back of an RPG I’d like to run one day, Don’t Rest Your Head, and I thought it sounded interesting. The acting wasn’t great, and it wasn’t as surreal or nightmarish as I expected it to be, but it wasn’t a bad film. I did see the similarities to the Matrix that people kept pointing out, but I liked it better than the Matrix for one reason: it ended after one film :P

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012

I saw Wrath of the Titans today. It was fun. Not brilliant, but a lot of fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

While I was away on holiday [yes, I was away from the internet for a couple of days, and yes, I’m still alive] I watched two films. Toy Story 3, which was one of the greatest animated films I’ve ever seen] and Scott Pilgrim vs The World, which was amazing. I really liked the cinematography and music. And Ramona is gorgeous.

The 1973 version of Jesus Christ Superstar.

what the HELL did I just watch.

So Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication but it had planes?

Ok then.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012 edited

Karamazov : The whole presentation is actually a metaplay. The actors are all aware that they are playing a roll, but at the same time the roles are played sincerely. They know they’re in the modern age and that they are not the characters they are playing, but they’re immersing themselves in role-play and historical fantasy and all the rest of it. It’s so much easier to watch when you think of it like that. It’s a flash mob with cameras.

Also, didn’t you LOVE the fat shirtless bling-draped white-guy-afro Herod? OMG.

The hair of a king.

Karamazov : The whole presentation is actually a metaplay. The actors are all aware that they are playing a roll, but at the same time the roles are played sincerely. They know they’re in the modern age and that they are not the characters they are playing, but they’re immersing themselves in role-play and historical fantasy and all the rest of it. It’s so much easier to watch when you think of it like that. It’s a flash mob with cameras.

I mean, I GOT that but I just thought it was really weird. It’s like….the cast of Hair puts on JCS.

However, I LOVED Judas. He was amazing. and Jesus was pretty good, too.

Also, didn’t you LOVE the fat shirtless bling-draped white-guy-afro Herod? OMG.

DO NOT WANT
    DO NOT WANT.
    DO NOT WANT.

Y’know? This movie was the reason I hated the show at first.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I saw the Hunger Games yesterday.

‘Twas okay. It felt more like a checklist running through the different scenes as opposed to a linear movie a lot of the time.

• CommentAuthorSen

I watched 127 hours. D:

Which was great, really, but something’s bothering me about the ending. I don’t know what it is, but I find something irritating about it. Too happy, maybe? And I’m not talking about the shots they showed afterwards of the real Aron, that was nice.

at the ending:

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Karamazova, you should check out the 2001 version, it’s seriously cool. Judas wears a black leather jacket and is basically the James Dean of the group, and Simon wears a tank top and fingerless leather gloves, and the entire setup is a dystopian future including guns, bombs and graffiti.

Karamazova, you should check out the 2001 version, it’s seriously cool. Judas wears a black leather jacket and is basically the James Dean of the group, and Simon wears a tank top and fingerless leather gloves, and the entire setup is a dystopian future including guns, bombs and graffiti.

My internet buddy and I are probably watching that tonight, so I’ll keep you posted on what I think.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

Happy, dancing cheeseburgers. Why? Well, why not?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited

Awesome!

Tried Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

The short version? It sucked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

Noooo it can’t have! I love that movie!

Okay really though, what didn’t you care for? (Actually, maybe I should see it again. I think it’s been about a year and I keep getting more and more critical as time goes by.)

IT’S AAAA-AAA-AA-ALL GONE SOOOOOO-OOOOOOUUUUR!

I could listen to that part all day.

Ok.

THOUGHTS ON JCS 2001:

1. I LOVE the sets/costumes/atmosphere of this one. I feel like it’s way more consistent than the old one, which is cool.
    2. HEROD HAD A SHIRT ON YAY.
    3. Pilate did not have a shirt, but he’s ripped, so that’s fine.
    4. This was soooooo shippy. I mean, I don’t ship Judas/Jesus at all (because shipping Jesus is just too weird for me), but GOOD LORD THE EYESEX. There ought to be some kind of drinking game for this I swear.
    5. Rik Mayall sucked. Arg.
    6. Jerome Pradon is badass, but I think Judas is out of his range. at times he sounded good, but at others, you could hear him straining to hit the notes and it was kinda bad.
    7. The Pharisees were like star trek villains and it was awesome.
    8. I wasn’t a huge fan of Jesus. He just….didn’t do anything for me. Also he had Enjolras hair. :p
    9. The beating/crucifixion was really intense and kind of hard to watch.

So, overall, I like it, but I didn’t like the two leads so that kind of kills some of it.
    If I could copy/paste Judas and Jesus from the 73 movie into it, it would’ve been the best thing ever.

seriously I wish I could meld these two movies into one because where one fails the other is awesome.

is unpleasable

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited

seriously I wish I could meld these two movies into one because where one fails the other is awesome.

That’s me with a few of the different Les Mis versions.

I liked Pradon’s singing, I thought it had a really authentic humanity to it (in contrast to Jesus’ otherworldly castrato sound), and the ragged edges made the emotional scenes that much more intense and gripping. I didn’t notice him struggling top reach the high notes, possibly because I’m not too good at hearing the high notes.

GOOD LORD THE EYESEX.

:D That’s my favourite bit! As an atheist and blasphemer, I like to think of Jesus and Judas as best childhood friends, Scrubs guy-love style, until Jesus started going all weird and heretical. I like the way JC Superstar portrays Judas as a realist-patriot, sort of “yes, that’s all very well, but the Romans are going to kill us”, in comparison to Simon’s blind zealotry and Jesus’ hippy-love heresy.

Inconclusion, I would like to draw your attention to Youtube, where you might be able to find the 1992 version of JC Superstar wherein “John Farnham”:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC6cC4IP8hQ plays the role of Jesus. The singing is great, and so, so Aussie. It has more of that heavy metal rock opera feel to it, too.

I made the mistake of watching _In the name of the King 2: Two Worlds._

I groaned when I saw that it was an Uwe Boll film, that guy needs to be shot. So yeah, the movie sucked.

That’s me with a few of the different Les Mis versions.

I hear you with that.

I’m so nit-picky about my cast recordings.

I liked Pradon’s singing, I thought it had a really authentic humanity to it (in contrast to Jesus’ otherworldly castrato sound), and the ragged edges made the emotional scenes that much more intense and gripping. I didn’t notice him struggling top reach the high notes, possibly because I’m not too good at hearing the high notes.

He was certainly emotional (he got more of an emotional reaction from me than Carl Anderson, even though I thought Anderson sang much better).

:D That’s my favourite bit! As an atheist and blasphemer, I like to think of Jesus and Judas as best childhood friends, Scrubs guy-love style, until Jesus started going all weird and heretical. I like the way JC Superstar portrays Judas as a realist-patriot, sort of “yes, that’s all very well, but the Romans are going to kill us”, in comparison to Simon’s blind zealotry and Jesus’ hippy-love heresy.

Yeah, it is a really interesting look at Jesus, and even as a…..Christian…ish…person. I feel like the 2001 version is a lot more bitter than the ’73 version.
    I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Broadway revival, but my parents would kill me if I went.

This is so much unlike anything else ALW wrote. Honestly, I wish he would have written something else with bite. I’d say it’s the best music he’s ever written.

:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC6cC4IP8hQ p

That was awesome. I ought to see more of that.

EDIT:
    I just watched Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

It was boring.
    And uninspired.
    And shallow.
    and annoying as hell.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012

Which version did you see? Some of the songs are not so good, but there’s one actor (as Joseph) who is very good indeed. David someone?

While we’re talking rock operas, Jeff Wayne’s War Of The Worlds. Go forth and listen. Now.

Which version did you see? Some of the songs are not so good, but there’s one actor (as Joseph) who is very good indeed. David someone?

Donny Osmond?

He was a good singer, but I just didn’t like the music much over all. There really wan’t much too it. And it’s now stuck in my head.

I LOOK HANDSOME I LOOK SMART
    I AM A WALKING WORK OF ART

Jeff Wayne’s War Of The Worlds. Go forth and listen. Now.

Well, it’s hard to judge from the 30 second clips on Amazon, but it seems pretty cool and I shall look further into it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

30 second clips? The entire soundtrack is on there, in full.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I believe the Inspector is referring to the free snippets of music one can get.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Sorry, I thought she’d said “youtube”. The entire soundtrack is on youtube.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

BOURNE MOVIES YEAH

I’m remembering why I love these movies all over again. They’re just so gloriously awesome. And Matt Damon being in them doesn’t hurt. At all.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

Hunger Games.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

• CommentAuthorDeborah

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

Finally saw The Artist. That dog was pretty cute and there was some stylistic coolness here and there, but other than that, there wasn’t really anything to it. Don’t understand all the rave reviews.

Finally saw The Artist. That dog was pretty cute and there was some stylistic coolness here and there, but other than that, there wasn’t really anything to it. Don’t understand all the rave reviews.

Aw, I really liked it.

It was a nice way to spend an evening and I enjoyed it, it’s just not as amazing as I thought it would be.

It was a nice way to spend an evening and I enjoyed it, it’s just not as amazing as I thought it would be.

I was expecting to be underwhelmed/disappointed, but I ended up really liking it and squeeing at the the entire time.

has pre-ordered the DVD

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited

The Cabin in the Woods.

Holy shit.

I spent the entire movie having all my preconceptions smashed to beautiful smithereens. I frigging love Joss Whedon, man.

So who’s ready?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012

Meh. If I have to.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Aw man, I want to see that movie so badly. I’m like the biggest Batman fan ever, and right now, I could care less about TDKR.

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

ASSEMBLE!

“Avengers Assemble!” is among the greatest slogans ever penned by Marvel Comics.

I wonder how many shirtless scenes there will be for Thor and Captain America. Chris Evans looked pretty delicious when he emerged from whatever it was that made him into Captain America. I also wonder if we’ll see more of that girl from the Captain America movie, who was at least as pretty as Scarlett Johansson and a better actress.

Jeremy Renner is a good actor (and pretty handsome) but he looks like a dork in the Hawkeye costume.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012

Oh please let there be shirtless scenes for Thor and Captain America. I beg this of you, Joss Whedon.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel

This article kind of took the fun out of Avengers for me already, and I don’t even know anything about archery :P Caveat lector!

Welcome back, Leliel!

Aww thank you :) I’ve been popping on to read now and then, didn’t realize it had been so long since I’d posted D:

Oh please let there be shirtless scenes for Thor and Captain America. I beg this of you, Joss Whedon.

SECONDED. PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Why don’t you guys just go watch New Moon if you want shirtless scenes?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012

SHUT UP YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Apparently not.

• CommentAuthorCrunchy

I wanted to see The Avengers, but I assumed nobody would want to go with me.

Turns out everyone does. Up to and including my super-girly friend and my mom.

(Although I suspect the super-girly friend is only going for the potential shirtless scenes. Me, I’m there for explosions and badassery.)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012

Soup, my friend, if Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans were shirtless in New Moon, I would definitely watch it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012

Soup, my friend, if Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans were shirtless in New Moon, I would definitely watch it.

I’ll call my agent.

Waitwhat

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

I watched Hanna. It was so annoying. >.<

It starts off really, really well and then just had to go and get all boring. I really didn’t care at all for that family she met up with. Or for the fact that she was like some kind of Martian who had no clue about what was what outside the forest, which actually makes sense, but that was really overdone.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012 edited

_Way_ too much Avengers around here. Time for a change of scenery.

"The Dark Knight Rises - Trailer 3":http://batman-news.com/2012/04/30/the-dark-knight-rises-trailer-3-officially-online-in-hd/

Attempt #2
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

“This video is unavailable.”

OK. :sad

I watched Hanna. It was so annoying.

I rather liked it. But I can see your point. I didn’t like the family she met so much, but I did like her exploration of humanity when she has basically been raised to be a heartless killer.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012

I know it’s near-blasphemy with the Avengers coming out tonight, but I watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows tonight instead of a Marvel movie. I do love that portrayal of Sherlock Holmes and especially Watson. It’s just such glorious, ridiculous, awesome fun.

B-b-but AVENGERS.

Please oh please oh please let it work out for me to see it Sunday morning…

AVENGERS MIDNIGHT PREMIERE

SO MUCH AWESOMENESS

SEE IT NOW, ALL OF YOU

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

I may see it in a few weeks when the theaters aren’t crowded.

Capt. America was okay, a bit too predictable for my tastes. Thor likewise, but it wins in my book because it has Loki, and Loki is awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012

I’d say The Avengers was pretty cool all around. There was cool stuff and cool people and funny banter and sweet special effects, but mostly I’m just in love with Jeremy Renner.

mostly I’m just in love with Jeremy Renner.

Yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012

Just got back from The Avengers myself, and it was awesome. There were only two down sides: 1) I had to wait for a later showing (the line for tickets was huge when I got there the first time) and 2) the woman sitting behind me would not shut up for about 90% of the movie. I guess this means I’ll just have to see it again.

I watched the Les Miserables movie. It was . . . short.

HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKEDY FUCK FUCK GOD THAT WAS AMAZING. SWEET BABY POTATO JESUS ON A CRACKER!

HIDDEN FOR SPOILERS. GO SEE THE MOVIE NOW. NOW, I SAY!

I guess this means I’ll just have to see it again

CAN I COME WITH. NO SERIOUSLY. I NEED TO SEE THIS AGAIN. NOW. I AM ALREADY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE I CAN FIT IN ANOTHER SHOWING. DAMN YOU, WORK SCHEDULE.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

I looked at my review, and then I looked at your review, and then I lol’d.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012 edited

Was finally able to find the time to see _Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol_ a couple weeks back. I'm not much of a Cruise fan, nor a fan of the M:I series (haven't seen the first, which looks fairly good, or the second, which looks stupid; the third, which I have seen, was mediocre with some good points), and I'm still in awe of what I saw.

If there are any deficiencies to be found, they're in the script, which Brad Bird didn't write. Felt as though every actor involved pulled his and her own weight, and Giacchino's score is immensely enjoyable. But what I like best is how Bird put the whole thing together, firstly by wringing every drop of humor from the script--none of which felt forced, thanks to the immensely funny to Simon Pegg. Second, the technical acumen on screen at any given moment blew me away. This goes beyond the sheer awesomesauce Burj Khalifa climbing sequence. The composition of the shots, the editing, the staging of the set pieces, and the look, feel, and apparent plausibility of the technology at the team's disposal are worth the cost of multiple IMAX tickets. Just wish I'd been able to see it in IMAX.

A fun, well-assembled flick. I could almost hear Bird cackling off-camera at any point in the movie. Seriously have to doff my cap to him.