Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I have not seen it. I wasn’t anxious to in the first place, and some reviews have confirmed that it will probably not be my cup of tea.

At least, not enough to warrant a movie ticket. Unless any imps want to buy mine to force me to go with them. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

I watched the Swedish version online so I could skip ahead certain parts. Having seen it once, I don’t have a particular desire to see it again. Danel ‘action hero’ Craig seems an odd choice for a character that seemed pretty normal in the Swedish version.

I just saw Tintin and boy that was a fun movie. Money well spent. One specific thing, I like was there handling of Snowy. Snowy’s obviously much smarter than an actual dog, but all of his actions are extensions of what a dog would do. He doesn’t fight off the black dog, he jumps to his masters defence and dogs being dogs, get a little playful. He’s supposed to grab the keys, instead he grabs the sandwich.

The film is sometimes weird with expectations because at times the stakes seem so high, but then they’ll do something crazy, and you’re like, right. Cartoon. And yet sometimes characters get shot (with blood no less.)
    There’s more, but I really enjoyed it.

Shame it’s not doing terribly hot in the US- overseas it’s doing wonderfully. 80% of its sales are there.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

Reading the book did not incline me to see *The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo* at the cinema, but I certainly wouldn't give money to an American remake of something made overseas the year before. Same with *Let the Right One In* -- Chloe Grace Moretz is a fine actress, but I refuse to see her in the remake.

Danel ‘action hero’ Craig seems an odd choice for a character that seemed pretty normal in the Swedish version.

I assumed the point of an actor was to occupy multiple roles. ;)

I see what you mean, though. I was never interested in the book or movie, but I like Fincher, so I am slightly hesitant to blast his casting. In general, American remakes are silly, but maybe I don’t mind foreign films because I’ve been watching Hindi/Tamil movies since a very young age, so I’m used to them.

At least with Daniel Craig as the lead, the number of women the character nails makes some degree of sense. As the schlubby middle-aged book version, it’s pretty transparent wish-fulfillment.

• CommentAuthorRocky

@I just saw Tintin and boy that was a fun movie. Money well spent.@

What did you think of that much talked-about chase? And the transitions during the last portion of Haddock's flashbacks? Just the whole language of the cinematography was enough to keep me invested. Very thorough and creative use of it, I thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012

I just watched Tintin in 3D, and wow. Just. Wow.
    The flashbacks are amazing. I can truly saw that I have never seen a flashback scene so well done. Not in a live action, not in an animation.
    The actors and voices are perfect, the music is lovely. My only complaint was that the villain [whatever his name was] was badly done. His part would have worked better with shorter, snappier sentences, and less long, cliched speeches.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012

Now I must go see this movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012 edited

Sorry for the double post.

So, I just saw Henry V with Kenneth Brannagh. I must say the following: utterly amazing. Years ago I read the play, but I had never seen it performed. I know Brannagh has the tendency to over-act (come to think on it, it seems a lot of Shakespearean actors have that tendency), but when he gave the Speech on St. Crispin’s Day, I got goosebumps. Beautiful.1

1 I know saying that a movie about war is “beautiful” probably classifies me as some sort of psycho, but this truly was. The intensity of the human emotion, the brutality of medieval warfare (although this managed to be relatively bloodless while still maintaining a raw quality), the sense of triumph and of tragedy. Seriously, it was a beautiful movie.

Contagion was good. The only problem was that there were so many characters that it was hard to connect to a single person. It did surprise me a couple of times, and the many characters were fairly well-developed for how large the cast was.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012

I dragged my husband off to see Tintin. We both really enjoyed it. The chase scene through Bagghar was very impressive.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I just watched Tomorrow When the War Began. It’s not a masterpiece, or anything, but I really enjoyed it. I’d love to see a sequel, if they don’t mess it up.

Did you read the book?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Yeah, Bluemask. You really, really need to read the book. It was as good, if not better, when I read it last month as it was when I read it the last time, more than 10 years ago.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Speaking of movies based on books, what did you guys think of Stardust? It came out in what, 2009? and was based on Neil Gaiman’s novel of the same name. I never read the book myself (a friend did and said it wasn’t as good as the movie and cited reasons I agreed with), but I really, really liked the movie. Especially the final battle, which felt awesome without being silly. But it was a couple years ago that I saw the movie, so shrug.

I loved Stardust but the book sucked.
    • CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012 edited

*Thomas Crown Affair* (the old one with Faye Dunaway and Steve McQueen) is one of those movies where the pictures are really gorgeous and the acting is good, but the story is preposterous and far too difficult to follow. Sometimes the pictures are cool in a way that doesn't serve any purposee, like having Dunaway, McQueen and some other guy have a conversation reflected in a series of shop windows in a way that looks very difficult to photograph but doesn't add anything to the dialogue or the ideas discussed. There's even a scene where Faye Dunaway and Steve McQueen stand in front of a window and her face is cut in half by a pole behind the glass, which in a non-reflected photograph would be ugly.

The blatant symbolism of the chess game was lovely.

EDIT: When I said "with Faye Dunaway and Steve McQueen", I neglected to mention their other co-star, Faye Dunaway's hairpieces. Most excellently ridiculous hairpieces. They deserve third billing.
    • CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012

Stardust

Tristan and Yvaine, the film’s characters that is, will remain one of my most favourite couples. <3

^^ Ditto.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

I’ve heard that from several people now. I liked the movie, but haven’t read the book.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’ve had it in my bookshelf for years, but I’ve never gotten around to reading it… maybe I never will. D:

bq. I liked the movie, but haven’t read the book.

Do yourself a favor and keep it that way ; ) It's one of the rare cases where the movie's way better than the book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012

Black Lightning. If possible, it was even more awesome than the hilarious premise warranted: basically it was a Russian crossover of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Spiderman, with absolutely the best of both worlds.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

That sounds AMAZING.

I dragged my husband off to see Tintin. We both really enjoyed it. The chase scene through Bagghar was very impressive.

My godmother and I went to see it together, and we both really enjoyed it too! I have never seen animation that good; they looked like real people, except for the silly noses, hehe :P The music was fun, and most of all, it was very clear that the directors had a lot of respect for the source material. Some of the shots looked as if they had been lifted off the page! But of course, Peter Jackson was involved, so I’m not surprised :P

Speaking of respecting source material…I really hate saying this, but Stardust was one of those very rare situations where the movie was much better than the book. Normally, even if I’ve watched the movie first, I prefer the book…but Neil Gaiman’s ending made me very frowny-faced for the rest of the day. I won’t say anything more, but the ending was possibly the biggest literary letdown I’ve ever encountered, and it turned me off Neil Gaiman for quite a long time.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited

bq. My godmother and I went to see [The Adventures of Tintin] together, and we both really enjoyed it too!

A really good way to describe the movie is that it's the sort of entertainment where you _don't_ have to switch off your brain to enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

Banlieue 13. I think I’ve seen it like four times before but every time I watch it I’m more amazed by how badass David Bell and Cyril Raffaelli are.

I saw the new Sherlock Holmes.

And the Lord looked upon Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows and saw that it was good. And the Lord said: "Let this bring joy and delight into the hearts of people everywhere and even unto the ends of the earth."
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Spanman, is that the parkour movie?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yep.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

That was awesome.

Parkour movie? What? Where? head whips around like excited cocker spaniel

In other news: Fight Club. Really the only R-rated movie I’ve wanted to see. And… now I kinda wish I hadn’t.

First of all I thought Edward Norton would be playing Brad Pitt’s role—he could so easily do it. Got a bit of a shock to see him, well, not playing Brad Pitt’s role.

Thought it was sad that although SPOILERS

Most of the gore I was fine with, but some of it was just far, far too sickening. It wasn’t even the shots in the back of the head that made me look away; it was some of the blood. That is the best fake blood I’ve ever seen in a movie. Normally it’s far too bright.

I kind of want to watch it again to get to grips with the themes and ideas in it, but I felt tainted and gross after seeing it once. Watched with surround sound, it was definitely an assault on my senses.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

In English it’s called District B13, I think. It’s on Netflix Instant, if you’ve got that.

It’s Australia. We still drive kangaroos. We don’t have anything. slams nearby wombat in frustration

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

There are trailers and longish clips on Youtube to give you a feel for it.

ALSO Last of the Mohicans is a must-watch R-rated movie. Just sayin’.

• CommentAuthorRocky

_Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut_ is a must-see R-rated movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

^ Well played.

We watched ‘Billy Madison’ in Civics. I want my brain back. >:(

Personally, I like ‘Fight Club’, but I could see why people wouldn’t enjoy it at all. As far as good R-rated movies, definitely ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’. It also has a lot of violence, but it’s SO GREAT.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

We watched ‘Billy Madison’ in Civics.

Was this because the teacher didn’t have anything planned for the day, or did the teacher somehow tie that movie into Civics? (Please, please let it be the former)

The teacher wasn’t there, and it was the last day of class. She told us to bring movies, but everyone forgot.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

OK, that’s a relief. I’m still sorry you had to suffer through it, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I saw part of Pan’s Labyrinth in my Spanish class, funnily enough. It seemed good.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Reminds me of when I watched _Clash of the Titans_ for my Mythology class.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I’m sure that was a good introduction to Greek myth.

• CommentAuthorRocky

My teacher actually quizzed us on what was actual Greek myth and what wasn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Oh, that’s cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

And useful.

Unlike some of my experiences with movies in class. What exactly does the movie Atlantis: the Lost Empire have to do with a Latin class?

• CommentAuthorRocky

The king of the Atlantians was voiced by Leonard Nimoy, who played Spock throughout Star Trek, a character that was part of the Vulcan alien race, which shares a common ancestry with the Romulans, which were based on the Roman figures of Romulus and Remus, who formed what became Rome, wherein they spoke LATIN.

Duh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Nice, Rocky. Very clever.

Has anybody seen Hugo? It looks like a really good movie, but I don’t have the time to go and see every movie that looks good based on its trailer.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

What exactly does the movie Atlantis: the Lost Empire have to do with a Latin class?

There was that one dumb bit where it said that the Atlantians knew every single language in the world because their language was the root of all those other languages. Beyond that not making a nick of sense (languages do not work that way, Disney) but I guess the tie in is that Latin is a root language and so is Atlantian.

I hope your teacher didn’t make you watch the whole movie.

I saw part of Pan’s Labyrinth in my Spanish class, funnily enough. It seemed good.

Well, it’s in Spanish, so at least that makes sense. But I’m surprised you saw it in school. It definitely merits that R-rating (unless you saw it in college, which is different than high school).

It’s a great movie. I just finished watching it and the end made me bawl.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

It was a community college course. I’ll have to see the whole thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I remember liking that movie (though I haven’t seen it since I was rather young), so maybe the teacher just wanted to share a good movie/a movie that he or she liked?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@ Rocky: now you just need to tie in Kevin Bacon and you’ll effectively have a Unified Field Theory.

@ Beldam: Yeah, I knew that was wrong, even before I took several college courses on language. Now I know exactly how wrong that scene is.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Rocky: now you just need to tie in Kevin Bacon and you’ll effectively have a Unified Field Theory.

I'll have to reverse my chain to do so. Latin was spoken in ancient Rome, which was founded by Romulus and Remus, characters upon which the Star Trek species of Romulans were inspired, who share a common ancestry with Vulcans, among whom a prominent example is Spock, played almost exclusively by Leonard Nimoy, who voiced the king in _Atlantis: The Lost Empire_ alongside James Garner as the voice of Rourke, who just so happened to co-star in _Maverick_ with Jodie Foster, who is perhaps best remember for her turn in _The Silence of the Lambs_, which co-starred Scott Glenn as her boss, who was recently seen in _The Bourne Ultimatum_ along with Matt Damon, who was in the recent remake of _True Grit_, which co-starred Josh Brolin who, back in 2000, was cast in a sci-fi thriller called _Hollow Man_ which starred--you guessed it--Kevin Bacon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Rocky, you are our King. :bows:

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Rocky, you have officially blown my mind. Truely, your greatness knows no bounds.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

May I suggest *Kind Hearts and Coronets* as an entry in the list of "black-and-white movies before 1981" that BlueMask and everyone else should see? It stars Dennis Price as a young man who is far down the line in maternal inheritance and whose mother was treated horribly by her wealthy family, and so he proceeds to kill his family members in order for him to become the Duke of Chalfont. All of his victims are played by a young Alec Guinness. Truly delightful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

STAR WARS UNCUT IS FINALLY OUT WHOOO!

For those who don’t know, allow me to enlighten you. It’s a fan-made project in which they split up Episode IV into 15-second chunks and then allowed people to recreate their own versions of that fifteen seconds. They’ve now taken the “best” clips and hooked them together to create the full movie, and it is awesome. I’m about halfway through it so far and it is just incredible. There’s been musical numbers, puppets, animals, live action, incredibly intricate hand-drawn animation, Princess Leia with literal Honey Buns attached to the side of her head… you get the picture. Watch it here (or on Youtube somewhere, I guess).

That. Sounds. Epic.

I mean, I’m not a fan of Star Wars, but woah.

Thought it was sad that although SPOILERS

I’m pro-spoiler tags and all, but literally everybody knows this twist.

Every single person. All of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I didn’t before I saw it, but I was deprived as a child.

Although, I did see it a few years ago. The statute of limitations may have run out in the meantime.

I’m pro-spoiler tags and all, but literally everybody knows this twist.

I had no idea. I thought I was the only spoiled person around, especially since one of the people I watched it with had never seen it before and had no idea.

Nice, Rocky. Very clever.

Astoundingly so.

Re: Inception – overhyped, but still awesome. I predict that tGwtDT will be the new one. I could be wrong, though. It’s just that everyone screams in delight about how good the book/movie/Hollywood remake is, but nobody will give a proper synopsis of what happens in the damn story. But I agree with Nate.

Re: Poe – shit, I haven’t read Poe in so long. I think someone’s cutting onions next door.

Re: Tintin – I’ll have a look, but I’m unfamiliar with the blond journalist (?) kid with white dog, cause I grew up on superpowered Gauls with weird names. ;-)

but I don’t have the time to go and see every movie that looks good based on its trailer.

This. Is my entire life.

Re: PotC 4 – it was very good. Blackbeard rocked, but maybe it’s just cause I like his actor. Angelica sucked IMO, though. Maybe I’ll rant about it somewhere.

Re: mythology – I hate it when Hollywood fucks it up.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Banlieue 13: Ultimatum. Not as much parkour as it’s predecessor, and some ridiculous bits, but still awesome.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Re: Tintin – I’ll have a look, but I’m unfamiliar with the blond journalist (?) kid with white dog, cause I grew up on superpowered Gauls with weird names. ;-) but I don’t have the time to go and see every movie that looks good based on its trailer.

I really hoped the array of positive responses to that movie would've swayed your opinion slightly. I wasn't at all familiar with Tintin, either (he's ginger, btw)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Superpowered Gauls? Feel free to start a discussion about them. They were my gateway into the comic world.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

Inglourious Basterds

Certainly not the best movie I’ve ever seen, but it was highly entertaining. I liked the way that the movie was shot and formatted, it was quite interesting and unusual. My only complaint is that the ending seemed a bit abrupt.

• CommentAuthorSen

Watched Lorenzo’s Oil again today. Sarandon’s character is so fierce. In a good way.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

Another entry in the "black-and-white before 1981 for BlueMask" category is *The Lady Vanishes*, starring Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave (father of all the other famous Redgraves). The last twenty minutes leave you on the edge of the seat (or off your seat and jumping up and down in suspense).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Ooh, good, more movies. my list grows ever longer:) [and I have practically no time to watch any of them :( ]

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012

Just watched the Adjustment Bureau, and I must say that I really, really liked it. The camerawork when they went through the doors was really cool, especially in the chase scenes.

Also, is it just me or does Emily Blunt sometimes look like a skinny Eve Myles?

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I just watched Spaceballs. I was cringing all the way through, but I think I caught all of the references to sci-fi movies. geeky high five!
    And then I watched The Boat That Rocked. Loved it. Hilarious, great soundtrack, stellar actors and all round awesomeness!

Spaceballs

Kick ass.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yeah, I need to watch that too :)

No, I mean Spaceballs is a kick ass movie.

Spaceballs sucks. It’s stuck in its own decade, with its few jokes being consumed by a barrage of abhorrent pop culture references.

WE ARE GOING TO FIGHT

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I AGREE WITH MARQUIS.

I hated that movie. Star Wars is a self-parody sometimes, for crying out loud. It is so corny!

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012 edited

Just read some interesting theories about the end of _Minority Report_ that, being interestingly plausible, not only predate Nolan's ambiguous ending for _Inception_, but presented it in a much, much more subtle and horrifying way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Was that on cracked? That was a good theory. Unfortunately it made the whole movie terribly depressing. Apparently that’s what comes with internally consistent logic. Same deal with Taxi Driver.

bq. I hated that movie. Star Wars is a self-parody sometimes, for crying out loud. It is so corny!

This. This so much.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012

bq. Was that on cracked? That was a good theory. Unfortunately it made the whole movie terribly depressing.

It might've been originally, but I read it on the movie's Wiki page.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

• CommentAuthorNo One

Last night, I watched High Crimes. It was a confusing movie that forced me to stop and go back so that I could get my story straight. This is definitely a movie that requires your full attention.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Inkblot:

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited

So I found a reference somewhere to an ’87 movie called Bestseller, so I went to look it up on netflix. Well, they didn’t have it, but they did have a Korean movie of the same name. The description wasn’t right, but it was so awesome! I really, really fell in love the movie, and the characters broke my heart.

Good thing I didn’t read the reviews first, because I disagreed. 1) I think they wanted to watch something other than what the movie was (which, fair enough, but on it’s own terms its* rather subtle, I think, in some ways) and 2) they wouldn’t use proper grammar or spelling or punctuation. Yes this is the internet, but I AM going to judge you. :P

• hah, I FIXED it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012

but on it’s own terms … they wouldn’t use proper grammar or spelling or punctuation

Riiiiight.

:P

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Ouch.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I do try not to claim I’m smart, for this very reason :P and I will fully admit I’m a careless typist. Nonetheless, I assure you I am completely ashamed and an idiot. X(

but I’ll still be judgmental, because I’m a terrible person.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Naw, I make plenty of typos too. Typos are fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

If you would have speeled one of those as “typoo” I would have given you mad cred. Alas.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

If you would have speeled one of those as “typoo” I would have given you mad cred. Alas.

That’s too obvious, you have to be subtIe.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Putting in a typo in my sentence would’ve been super cliche.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

It took me way too long to figure where that conversation went.

I have no plans to see it since it stars everyone’s favorite Australian charisma-void Sam Worthington, but I can’t help but feel Man on a Ledge would be improved if it had Sam Jackson yelling about having had it with this motherfucking man on this motherfucking ledge.

I actually found it a mix. It’s oversimplified, but I usually say: “prefer the first half of the book, and the second half of the movie”.

I hated that movie. Star Wars is a self-parody sometimes, for crying out loud. It is so corny!

- _ –

“We’re at now. What’s happening now, is happening now.”

It’s not as timeless as blazing saddles, but it’s still funny.

Heck, it wins perma-memory for the line:

“Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb.”

I have no plans to see it since it stars everyone’s favorite Australian charisma-void Sam Worthington, but I can’t help but feel Man on a Ledge would be improved if it had Sam Jackson yelling about having had it with this motherfucking man on this motherfucking ledge.

Cliche. He should say that he’s tired of the motherfucking ledges under these motherfucking people.